New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lightbulb Magus in a 3.5 game

So, recently i have been reading a lot of Pathfinder stuff and one that did catch my eye was the Magus class. The problem to me is that the people i play with only play 3.5 and I'm tight on time so finding a Pathfinder table is out of the question. One of my DM's is pretty open and I am quite certain they would let me play the class, he even uses a lot of houserules taken from pathfinder(like feats every odd level, skills, etc...).

My question is, assuming he let's me play a Magus, how would it be implemented for a 3.5 table? What would need to be cut, adapted or used. There are things i know could be used easily, like the Archetypes that are kind of ACF's. Traits trouble me and the biggest concern is the spell list.
    Searching for the whereabouts of the cabbage mage
    Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Polymorph does weird things to your libido.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Yes, kill the players, not the characters. That way, you win IRL.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magus in a 3.5 game

There are a ton of options for building an arcane gish in 3.5, if your DM doesn't like the magus or if you're having issues porting it over.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    There are a ton of options for building an arcane gish in 3.5, if your DM doesn't like the magus or if you're having issues porting it over.
    I know of the 3.5 options for gishes, but i was more charmed by the Magus gish-in-a-can option. I'm almost certain the DM will let me use it, i just wanted to heart how to port it over.

Edit: It is even more appealing since i will be playing from lvl 1.7
    Last edited by Blu; 2018-09-22 at 03:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Duskblade dude. Just play it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Blu
    Traits trouble me and the biggest concern is the spell list.
    Don’t sweat the traits. Two traits are roughly equivalent to one very modest bonus feat, taken at first level, so they’re not much of an issue.

Are there particular spells on the list that give you pause? Or is it just the notion of porting over so much from Pathfinder?

Originally Posted by Blu
    I know of the 3.5 options for gishes, but i was more charmed by the Magus gish-in-a-can option. I'm almost certain the DM will let me use it, i just wanted to heart how to port it over.
    And I would certainly encourage you to give the magus a try, if your DM is willing to allow it. It’s one of my favorite classes from Pathfinder. Channeling spells at second level is something you’ll get to like pretty fast.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Are there particular spells on the list that give you pause? Or is it just the notion of porting over so much from Pathfinder?
    Porting the spells. Spells that are both on pathfinder and 3.5 is easy to solve, just use the 3.5 version. But spells that are Pathfinder only could be the trouble.
    Last edited by Blu; 2018-09-22 at 04:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

I don't think you need to worry about porting spells. Even without any of the Pathfinder only spells, Magus still has a vastly larger spell list that the Duskblade, for example, and you can use your arcanas to get spells from wizard/sorcerer spell list to.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blu View Post
    My question is, assuming he let's me play a Magus, how would it be implemented for a 3.5 table?
    The easiest thing to do is use the class as-is, and stick to spells that also exist in 3E, and do without traits (unless the entire party has traits).

There's nothing about the Magus that would be overpowered by 3.5 standards, so don't worry about that. It's also much better than the duskblade, so I wouldn't recommend using the dusky.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

(I know some pathfinder but just barely.)

How would someone build a Magus / Prestige Bard / Sublime Chord Gish in 3.5?

I assuming using the Broad Study Magic Arcana (So requires 6 levels in Magus at the bare minimum)

I am guessing Magus 6/ Prestige Bard 1/ X 1/Warblade 1/JPM 1/Sublime Chord 1/ JPM +9 ?

Magus 6/Prestige Bard 1/X 1/Warblade 1 is for Iron Heart Surge and White Raven Tactics

Since you in for a penny you might as well be in for a pound and take JPM for a faster bab, martial maneuvers, and 8 / 10 casting (with one of the 2 dead levels happening prior to sublime chord.)

Sublime Chord is for a faster spell progression with JPM advancing the faster BAB

Is there a better way of doing this?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    (I know some pathfinder but just barely.)

How would someone build a Magus / Prestige Bard / Sublime Chord Gish in 3.5?

I assuming using the Broad Study Magic Arcana (So requires 6 levels in Magus at the bare minimum)

I am guessing Magus 6/ Prestige Bard 1/ X 1/Warblade 1/JPM 1/Sublime Chord 1/ JPM +9 ?

Magus 6/Prestige Bard 1/X 1/Warblade 1 is for Iron Heart Surge and White Raven Tactics

Since you in for a penny you might as well be in for a pound and take JPM for a faster bab, martial maneuvers, and 8 / 10 casting (with one of the 2 dead levels happening prior to sublime chord.)

Sublime Chord is for a faster spell progression with JPM advancing the faster BAB

Is there a better way of doing this?
    Sounds kind of overcomplicated and with too much dips just to get to 16 BAB and 9th's.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds kind of overcomplicated and with too much dips just to get to 16 BAB and 9th's.
    I wasn't thinking about BABwhich is overated I was thinking higher level spells instead.

The main thing I was thinking was 9th level spells and thus you need a Bard type class or Prestige Class to get the Bardic Music for Sublime Chord if SC is your intention on how to get 9ths. But I was trying to figure out what to do with the other levels. JPM seem to work.

---

Another route for higher level spells could be Ur Priest plain or Ur Priest plus prestige class.

Also Innate of the Seven Fold Veil also works nicely if you are fine with 6th level spell. BAB is overrated after all.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    I wasn't thinking about BABwhich is overated I was thinking higher level spells instead.

The main thing I was thinking was 9th level spells and thus you need a Bard type class or Prestige Class to get the Bardic Music for Sublime Chord if SC is your intention on how to get 9ths. But I was trying to figure out what to do with the other levels. JPM seem to work.

---

Another route for higher level spells could be Ur Priest plain or Ur Priest plus prestige class.

Also Innate of the Seven Fold Veil also works nicely if you are fine with 6th level spell. BAB is overrated after all.
    Magus spell combat and spellstrike only work with the magus spell list. Magus is all about making attacks with spells - it's less important to get good spells than it is to hit and crit with your basic ones. If you want to play a fullcaster just play a fullcaster.

Anyway, I would just use the spells as is. If there's a CMB or CMD roll, substitute the appropriate maneuver specifics. If there's a skill, pick one of the 3.5 skills its composed of.

Alternatively, ask for the Duskblade spell list, or something along those lines.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2go View Post
    Magus spell combat and spellstrike only work with the magus spell list. Magus is all about making attacks with spells - it's less important to get good spells than it is to hit and crit with your basic ones. If you want to play a fullcaster just play a fullcaster.

Anyway, I would just use the spells as is. If there's a CMB or CMD roll, substitute the appropriate maneuver specifics. If there's a skill, pick one of the 3.5 skills its composed of.

Alternatively, ask for the Duskblade spell list, or something along those lines.
    I believe there is an Arcana for Magus that lets you use Spell combat and Spellstrike with spells from other classes

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

6 Levels in Magus and using an Magus arcana (which you get at Magus 6 anyway) for this

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/bas...road-study-ex/

Broad Study

Prerequisite: Magus 6, levels in another spellcasting class

Benefit: The magus selects another one of his spellcasting classes. The magus can use his spellstrike and spell combat abilities while casting or using spells from the spell list of that class. This does not allow him to cast arcane spells from that class’s spell list without suffering the normal chances of arcane spell failure, unless the spell lacks somatic components.
    Now your spell combat and spell strike works with another spellcasting class not just magus. If you have another Magus Arcana you want to take at Magus 6,you can always burn a feat to take Extra Arcana.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

My question is, assuming he let's me play a Magus, how would it be implemented for a 3.5 table? What would need to be cut, adapted or used. There are things i know could be used easily, like the Archetypes that are kind of ACF's. Traits trouble me and the biggest concern is the spell list.
    - Change the skill system to be 3.5 compatible
    - The two traits are the equivalent of a very low-powered feat, so choose one minor flaw to compensate
    - In case of spells, use the 3.5 version if available, else just use the PF version, no biggie here.
    - Archetypes are not an issue.

What you should clear up is the interaction between Magus and ToB, if that's a thing at your table.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Magus spell combat and spellstrike only work with the magus spell list.
    As pointed out, there's an arcana for that.

Magus is all about making attacks with spells - it's less important to get good spells than it is to hit and crit with your basic ones.
    That's certainly one way of playing it. You could also be using your spells (in spell combat) to e.g. defend yourself, land maneuvers, do battlefield control, teleport you and allies to a better spot, and a few other tricks.

That would be a major downgrade. The duskblade spell list is extremely short AND has quite a lot of bad spells on it. Just sticking to core-only Magus spells would be much better.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

If you're going to use Magus in 3.5, see if you can use the PF feat Enforcer. If so stick to Frostbite (Magus 1) with the 3.5 feat Imperious Command (DotU), the Never Outnumbered skill trick (CS), possibly even Fell Frighten Spell (LM), and any other stacking fear effects you can throw in. Make your character a (Desert) Half-Orc, visit the Otyugh Hole (CS) during downtime between adventures to get Menacing Demeanor without spending a feat on it, and consider dipping Half-Orc Paragon 1 to buff your Intimidate checks. Also look at the Dread Witch (HoH) which will keep these tricks viable in the higher levels. This build is extremely MAD, but it's very strong if your stats can support it.