New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Way of the Wicked Book 1 Act 3

The Half-Orc surprises himself by being the first to speak. "We are not traitors," he insists- only barely stifling the urge to spit. "We are the betrayed. Each of us, for our own reason, was turned upon by the Talireans. Imagine, if you will, the treatment you would receive from a backwater village. Those are not my people," he declares with finality.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber laughs, but without any mirth. "My kind?" She blatantly points at her horns. "I beg to differ. The only one who I would call my kind has died by their hands."

With an angry look in her eyes she looks at Sakkarot, the deep amber eyes almost flickering with fire. She stretches out a hand and flame lurks along a finger. "Burn them. Burn them all."
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-05-09 at 01:49 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

"That makes sense," The war chief says. "I believe Humans readily ally with Dwarves and Elves because they look similar. Add animal features like horns, tusks, or greater size, and Humans see them as beasts rather than people.."

He turns to address Mira, Caleb, and Irene. "So how have you three become so enlighted?."

(Yes Irene has stayed by Mira's side. She's not going to be the only woman around the sailors. She's not going to wander a bugbear camp with a cannibalistic ogre. She's staying by either Mira's side for protection, or by Amber's side to protect her.)
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Mira shrugs and replies, "Such is war. I regret the wholesale slaughter that will occur, but conquering Talingrade, establishing a just rule over 'my kind'," She makes airquotes with armored fingers, "Is my only priority. I expect you can respect that."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

"Did you become chief by kind words alone?", Caleb retorts. "I come from the bottom. I want to be on top. And I know the kind of bastard you need to be to get there".
    Semper ludens.

6. - Top - End - #216

EvilClericGuy

"I know a few things about that." He says. "And I can respect such things. For the record though, it is only by the will of Dread Asmodeus that I became war chief. Where it not for Cardinal Thorn I would be dead now. Such is the way of things in the Savage North, but . . .

He pauses as he looks over you. “Bugbears are not very good conversationalist. It has been months since I had a good conversation that didn't involve grunts. I have even considered breaking my clay tablet again to summon Tiadora just to talk to someone intelligent. Speaking of that vile creature, have any of you figured out what she is? She is not human.

Spoiler: Group goals
    Show

• Protect the Frosthamar and its cargo.
    • Deliever munitions to Bug-bear chieftain Sakkarot Fire-Axe. Northern Coast of Lake Tarik
    • Go South to the town of Aldencross
    • Kill Odinkirk and crew. Burn the Frosthamar with no survivors
    • Reclaim Odinkirk's payment for your own.
    • Infiltrate Balentyne
    • Kill Balentyne's Commander
    • Open the gates of Balentyne for the horde.
    • Break clay seal to contact Cardinal Thorn
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, if there's anything you want to talk about, I'd be happy to! No idea about Tiadora, though." Amber shrugs for a moment.

She also seems lost in thought for a moment, thinking about what Cardinal Thorn has done for them. Without him, their fate did not exactly look pleasant either.

8. - Top - End - #218

EvilClericGuy

"When I first met Cardinal Thorn, it was in the coldest parts of the Savage North. I had been shunned by my clan, scarred and left to die on the frozen fjord. He'd found me and took me to his Cathedral. He had other followers there with him. He lead us in a ritual where we burned the remnants of our old lives. HE threw robe of a Mitran Cardinal into the fire."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

The Half-Orc grunts at mention of Tiadora. When the war chief announces that she isn't human, he lets out a snort of a laugh. "I could have told you that. No human woman could lay me flat with a single punch! Whatever she is, she carries the strength of Asmodeus himself in her strides." He shakes his head, gazing wistfully into the fire as the memory of so many aches comes to mind.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Mira shrugs and replies, "A devil of some description or another, I'm sure. High ranking, too..." She sighs, trails off, then adds, "Still. It is of no matter, so long as, in the end, I rule Talingarde. With that in mind, Warchief," She glances at Sakkarot, making eye contact with him for the first time since they'd met with a steely gaze, "I would like subjects to rule, when all is said and done. It would be in the best interests of all for the slaughter to be kept to a minimum, where possible."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber looked in thought at Sakkarot's words. She then looked at him, her eyes shimmering. "Must have been harsh to be left like that. What did you throw in the fire?"

12. - Top - End - #222

EvilClericGuy

I'm just going to have Sakkarot respond to each of your comments directly rather try and weave a coherent conversation together. We will pretend each of these threads happens on their own rather than simultaneously. Cause this is play by post and it's easier that way.

AMBER
    "This," he says to Amber holding up his flaming great axe. "Though it was just a club with a sharpened stone inset then." He admires the magical weapon in his hands.

X
    To X he adds, "Yes. watch out for her tentacles. They hurt."

MIRA
    And to Mira, he raises an eyebrow at the mention of her desire to rule. "Oh? You believe you are the one Thorn will place on the throne in the end?” He laughs, “Or perhaps you plan to marry the new king?” With a snort he downs his drink and pours a refill. You do note that Sakkarot certainly does not believe that he will be the one sitting on the throne.

“Thorn hold his plan close to his chest. But he does not share readily with the other knots. We each know what we need to know. I know the Ninth will break the watch wall so that I may lead my army into Talingarde. I know the Seventh will ensure I establish my foothold by assassinating the local military leaders. I know that the Second Knot is Thorn's personal body guards. And I know that in time the people of Talingarde will turn to an Asmodean leader who will save them from my horde. But that is all I know of the knots. I know nothing of the Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, or Eighth Knots.” He looks at his Drink. “Perhaps I have drank enough tonight. Nevertheless, I will ensure a portion of the population is spared for you. Provided you do not share what I shared or that I shared tonight.”

Show

• Deliever munitions to Bug-bear chieftain Sakkarot Fire-Axe. Northern Coast of Lake Tarik
    • Kill Odinkirk and crew. Burn the Frosthamar with no survivors
    • Reclaim Odinkirk's payment for your own.
    • Infiltrate Balentyne
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2019-05-22 at 03:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Mira laughs and smiles, responding, "Perhaps, perhaps. Certainly, I am under no illusions that I am the one Thorn wants on the throne; I suspect he is keeping that honor for someone more easily...Controllable. Still, as we've been frank with one another, I will not betray your trust if you do not mine. You have my word." She nods, then adds, "Back to a more sober note. I've seen the inside of Talingarde's military...What makes you think you'll win? Each knight has been training for...Perhaps not this exact moment, but something like this."
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2019-05-22 at 05:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224

EvilClericGuy

MIRA

The Bugbear grins. "Faith. Human Woman. I have faith in Asmodeus, and in you. For each must play their role in this dicey game. As for the Numerous and Plentiful Combatants of Talingard, They have had advantage against Bugbears in the past due to superior armor, weapons and fortifications. All things you will negate."

He swirls his cup, then remembers that he decided not to drink anymore tonight. "Over the next week, more tribes will rally to my banner. I will promise them blood and give them steel. After that I will spend a week moving camp to a valley North of Balentyne. Then I will be poised to strike. I can hold my army together for another two weeks. After that, I expect desertions and squabblings to weaken the force. So I must have faith that you will open the gates of the Watch Wall before then. And you, have Thorn's faith else he would not have sent you."
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2019-05-22 at 10:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Mira nods, "Well, the gate will be open...What happens after that is up to you and yours, though I trust that you will be able to do the job. Best of luck."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

"It is best to wage war when your enemy doesn't know you are fighting". Caleb leans back.
    Semper ludens.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber looks at the axe and nods, certainly impressed by the change. She listens to the other discussion regarding cells and being the leader, sinking in thought for a moment about what may be in store for the future.

Snapping out of it, she directs her focus back at the plan. "Sounds smart." She comments to Caleb. "Best of luck indeed." She offers to the bugbear.

18. - Top - End - #228

EvilClericGuy

As the conversation winds down, Sakkarot hands you a rocket. “Use this to signal my forces when you are ready for us to attack. Remember: Two weeks until we are in position. After that two weeks until the Horde suffers desertions and in-fighting. That's one month. Hail Asmodeus!

Back on the ship. Odenkirk is uneasy. Bugbears are eyeing the ship and the tasty crew, but not brave enough to defy Sakkort and attack. “That leader is trouble. You can tell by the eyes. He's smart, plotting. Bugbears should not be smart.

Now there is one task left to you this act: Slaying Odenkirk and crew. But when to strike?
    A) Attack now with the bugbears on your side.
    Advantage-Battle is a rout. No need to even run it.
    Disadvantage – Bugbears take all the loot. And someone needs to spend an skill-point on Profession: Sailor and Knowledge: Geography. Trip takes 1d3+1 days
    B) During the trip to Aldencross. Battle is run normally.
    Advantage- you get the loot for yourself.
    Disadvantage – Someone still must spend a skill-point on Profession Sailor and Knowledge: Geography Trip takes 1d2 days
    C) Upon arrival to Aldencross. Battle is run normally.
    Advantage- you get the loot. No need to waste skill points. Trip takes one day.
    Disadvantage – no help from the horde.

Show

• Kill Odenkirk and crew. Burn the Frosthamar with no survivors
    • Reclaim Odenkirk's payment for your own.
    • Infiltrate Balentyne
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2019-05-31 at 11:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Mira smiles famously at Odenkirk and replies, "Well then, we'd best be off, hadn't we? Before something untoward happens."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

"Yeah, curse this solid land and open space, campfires and fresh food. Time to get splinters in the butt and feast on salted fish again", Caleb rubs his hands together as he boards the Frosthamar.
    Semper ludens.

21. - Top - End - #231

EvilClericGuy

Grumblejack is waiting for you after your meeting with Sakkarot. He has a few light wounds, but he seems to be happy. “Grumblejack has girlfirend.” he grins and says her name with a sigh. “Karlotta Bonegrinder. Me has to find her tasty human bones, maybe shiny elf teeth for necklace. And raven's eggs. They're her favorite for omelets and fortune telling.

The trip is swift across the mist-shrouded Lake Tarik under the cover of darkness. Throughout the journey, Odenkirk complains about not getting paid enough. He sails to a point on the southern shore only a cuple of hours from the Tower Balentyne and the small town of Aldencross.

As the ship reaches the shore, the time to attack comes.

Show

• Infiltrate Balentyne

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Caleb leans his longspear against the side of the ship as he goes to fetch the wrap of ivory and other treasures. With the wrap under one arm, he extends the other to Odenkirk. "Pleasure sailing with you, Captain. Should you be available, we will certainly think of you again".

Spoiler: Treachery and betrayal!
    Show
    Caleb will use the handshake to initiate a grapple against Odenkirk: grapple - (1d20+7)[15]. bluff - (1d20+5)[18]. In addition, he has pre-cast Advanced Scurvy , which the touch will deliver. Fort save DC 15 negates, otherwise Odenkirk is fatigued (-1 atk and damage, -1 AC, -1 CMB, -2 CMD, and no rage).
    Semper ludens.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

As the ship approaches shore, the Half-Orc seeks a few moments of solitude from the sailors. In private, he voices an incantation of his Draconic bloodline and exhales as he feels the infinitely thin barrier of force spring into existence around his person. "No sense making it easy," he mumbles to himself as he returns to the deck. He eschews the opportunity to make himself useful once more, instead drawing his blade and almost lovingly tending to its oiling and cleanliness.

As Caleb sets aside his spear, signaling the attack, the Half-Orc turns his attention to the captain. He takes only a moment to assess the positions on the deck, choosing the nearest sailor as his first target. Stepping closer, he tightens his grip on the blade. With no warning whatsoever, he brings it crashing down towards the unprepared sailor's neck.

Spoiler: X, surprise round?
    Show
    X
    M CE Half-Orc Sorcerer, Level 3, Init 1, HP 17/24, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, CMD 15, Fort 4, Ref 2, Will 2, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Claws +4 (1d4+3, x2)
    MW Falchion +5 (2d4+4, 18-20, x2)
    No armor (+1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 17, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 20
    Light sensitivity
    +1 damage vs good celestials
    +4 saves vs fear
    Condition Mage Armor: +4 AC, ~3 hours remaining
    1st level spells: 6/7
    Claws: 8/8

(1d20+5)[20] falchion, vs flat-footed AC?
    (1d20+5)[7] CC (23+, x2)
    (2d4+4)[10] damage
    (2d4+4)[9] crit bonus

24. - Top - End - #234

EvilClericGuy

Odenkirk fort save - (1d20+6)[22]

Unfortunately Odenkirk makes his fort save. Which also means his CMD is still too high for Caleb's grapple. As X attacks, He gets mad as he realizes the betrayal. Kargeld Odenkirk cries out. “You want my ship, do ye? I killed my brother to take her and I’ll kill all of you to keep her!” Kargeld then rages.
    Spoiler: npc initiatives.
    Show
    Irene - (1d20)[4]
    Grumblejack - (1d20)[3]
    Captain Odenkirk - (1d20-1)[3]
    Sailor Black - (1d20)[8]
    Sailor Brown - (1d20)[7]
    Sailor Grey - (1d20)[15]
    Sailor Olive - (1d20)[15]
    Sailor Salmon - (1d20)[20]
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2019-06-04 at 03:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Mira sighs, steps up, and draws her blade, attempting to run Odenkirk through from behind, replying, "Not at all. And this brings me no joy, for what it's worth. But it's been decided that you must die, and die you shall. I'd advise not making this ugly.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[7]

Attack: (1d20+10)[27]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[6]

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber shrugs for a moment as the moment of betrayal is upon the ship. Having nothing witty to say, she instead decides to simply act.

Fire rushes from her hands, rolling over some of the hapless sailors near her.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[17]
    Burning Hands, fire dmg: (3d4)[7] DC 15 reflex save for half dmg
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-06-05 at 02:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237

EvilClericGuy

Surprise Round
    Caleb shakes Odenkirk's Hand initiating combat. He shakes off the Advanced Scurvy because he's had it before and doesn't mind it anymore. (but Because Mira says she is attacking from behind Odenkirk, I have positioned her giving Caleb a flanking bonus. Caleb's Grapple is now successful! Odenkirk is surprised and so I do not give him an AoO against Caleb.)

Amber casts burning hand on Sailors Salmon and Brown. They are engulfed in flames.
    Sailor Salmon reflex - (1d20)[9] Fail
    Sailor Brown reflex - (1d20)[3] Fail

Mira efficiently strikes Odenkirk from behind causing 6 damage

Irene stabs Sailor Brown with her javelin. The Sailor cannot stand the combination of flames and a puncture wound to his gut. He falls to 0hp.
    attack - (1d20+4)[22]
    damage - (1d6+3)[9]

Grumblejack smacks Sailor Olive with his club.
    attack - (1d20+6)[20]
    damage - (1d8+5)[7]

X slashes Sailor Olive for 10 damage. Between the Half-Orc and the Ogre, the sailor collapses to the deck. -1hp.

First Round Initiative Order
    Sailor Salmon's turn
    Amber's turn
    Sailor Grey's turn
    Sailor Olive's turn
    Sailor Black's turn
    Sailor Brown's turn
    Mira's turn
    Caleb's turn
    X's turn
    Irene's turn
    Grumblejack's turn
    Odenkirk's turn

Show

• Infiltrate Balentyne (One month)
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2019-06-05 at 10:41 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238

EvilClericGuy

First Round

Sailor Salmon's turn
    Salmon (not pink) decides to get away from the flaming devil girl. He takes his move to flank Mira and strike at her.
    sword strike - (1d20+6)[12] Mira twists and evades the sword thrust effortlessly.
    damage - (1d6+2)[7]

Amber's turn

Sailor Grey's turn
    Grey shoots arrow at Grumblejack - (1d20+2)[9] miss Grumblejack catches the arrow on his shield.
    damage - (1d6)[2]

Sailor Black's turn
    Black swings a sword at Grumblejack - (1d20+4)[5] Grumblejack lets the sword poke him. It doesn't break his skin. He roars back in defiance.
    damage - (1d6+2)[8]

Mira's turn
    Caleb's turn
    X's turn
    Irene's turn
    Grumblejack's turn
    Odenkirk's turn

Show

• Infiltrate Balentyne (One month)
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2019-06-05 at 11:21 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Mira draws back her blade and swipes at Odenkirk's neck, aiming to end the man before he can even react.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+8)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[9]

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber rolls her eyes at the sailor running away. Looking around, she wished the targets were better clumped to be caught in the fire. But well, they aren't, so she moves besides Grumblejack and unleashes a wave of fire at just one sailor: Sailor Black.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move 10ft down.

Burning Hands at Sailor Black!
    Fire Damage: (3d4)[8]
    DC 15 half damage
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-06-05 at 03:19 PM.