New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Oh, I'd say it's totally playable and quite addictive. No bad bugs found here so far, and the difficulty issues seem to have been resolved. I had reduced my game to Normal for a while but reset it to PnP (Custom settings) again after several fights that had been touted as "very hard" seemed actually rather easy.
    The long and short of it seems to be: you need to know the Pathfinder rules and must not be loth to micro-manage your characters round by round (or at least every couple of rounds). If you want to just rush through the fights, the easier difficulty settings will allow that.

A buddy of mine (who plays on one of the harder difficulties) has explored a barrow in chapter 2 and almost painted himself into a corner there: after moving a lever, the way out was blocked, and he had absolutely no chance against the boss. And not even a recent savegame to load, either. So basically, he would have been screwed - but you can reduce the difficulty at any time and get out of a tight spot that way.

In general, YMMV. The aforementioned buddy and another one play both play on harder modes and enjoy it a lot, even if they have to reload 20 times for a fight. My frustration threshold is lower than that. They also both somehow managed to recruit 2 Mercs at level 2, where I didn't even have enough money for 1. No idea how they did that.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Kind of an odd question: what are the options for a druid's animal companion? I'm hoping I can grab a thycaline, since its an enemy in the game and an option in the tabletop campaign.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Platinius View Post
    Octavia's build is a classic cheesy build from the tabletop game made even easier by the generous rules for backstabbing. (You need to get your target into melee with 2 people)
    She uses her (infinite 0-level) spells to do these attacks (and they can crit and do double damage^^) which are touch attacks that hit incredibly easily (Touch AC doesn't really climb with CR), especially the further you come in the game. (Your attack bonus grows as you level; good times^^)
    Backstabbing rules are even more generous than that. You don't need 2 people in melee, one person in melee and one person shooting with a ranged weapon is enough to trigger flanking. I'm not sure if 2 people with ranged weapons engaging one target qualifies as flanking since I don't use any ranged sneak attackers, but it wouldn't surprise me if it qualified as flanking.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    Backstabbing rules are even more generous than that. You don't need 2 people in melee, one person in melee and one person shooting with a ranged weapon is enough to trigger flanking. I'm not sure if 2 people with ranged weapons engaging one target qualifies as flanking since I don't use any ranged sneak attackers, but it wouldn't surprise me if it qualified as flanking.
    I suspect it's "if you are attacking someone who is in melee range with someone other than you." Because how could you determine if someone's being threatened by multiple archers?

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shepsquared View Post
    Kind of an odd question: what are the options for a druid's animal companion? I'm hoping I can grab a thycaline, since its an enemy in the game and an option in the tabletop campaign.
    Leopard. It will solo most encounters, allowing you to eat pistachios and watch.
    Thyca...things are not on the list I think, or at least I didn't see them.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post
    Leopard. It will solo most encounters, allowing you to eat pistachios and watch.
    Thyca...things are not on the list I think, or at least I didn't see them.
    Thycalines, they replaced wolves in the tutorial for random encounters. Aka Tasmanian Tigers.

Ah well, I'll cope without them. Guess my dwarf won't be inexplicable Australian in my head though.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shepsquared View Post
    Thycalines, they replaced wolves in the tutorial for random encounters. Aka Tasmanian Tigers.

Ah well, I'll cope without them. Guess my dwarf won't be inexplicable Australian in my head though.
    Isn't it Thylacines? Or is it something different than what I'm thinking of? I'm not familiar with Pathfinder at all.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground

Does the game have a gigantic memory leak for anyone else? The longer I play, the longer load times get, and if I exit the game after playing for more than a couple of hours, my (powerful desktop) computer takes at least ten minutes to recover enough to even run a browser without lagging.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Finished Chapter 1 on challenging difficulty with normal enemies.

The only thing that bothers me so far is enemy stat inflation....every frigging bandit with a bow has a Dex of 18. Seems like the guy who made the enemy NPC's was an optimizer and then Chriss Avelone came along and made a bunch of quirky NPC companions who aren't optimized to deal with the challenge.

Luckily this becomes better when you level up your group.

Currently in my group I have

Amiri as a flanker. That Ginormous sword just gets in the way at the start, instead of spending a feat on the bastard sword she could have taken a power attack and used a Great sword which would have paid off. I wish she had a Str 18 but they that's why we have a belts with +2 Str for. She is my most reliable damage output at the start of the game as she can hit really hard.

Valerie. Starts to shine at level 5 when she gets rid of that tower shield penalty and by now she has AC 33 which is enough to anchor my frontline, with bastar sword expertise and a flaming bastard sword she now has a decent damage output, think I'll keep her

Jaethal: Like her, that's why I'm keeping her, everyone needs a snotty elf i their party

Octavia: Made her an arcane trickster....and boy does she manage to hit hard with ther ranged touch attacks

Tristian: Was going to switch him out for Harrim but the whiny old pal has kinda grown on me so I think I'll keep him in my group

Corwin Darkshard: Known as Baron Darkshard of the barony of Darkshard. Wizard Evoker that blasts things to pieces
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Isn't it Thylacines? Or is it something different than what I'm thinking of? I'm not familiar with Pathfinder at all.
    Yes, yes it is. I should know that dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    Finished Chapter 1 on challenging difficulty with normal enemies.

The only thing that bothers me so far is enemy stat inflation....every frigging bandit with a bow has a Dex of 18. Seems like the guy who made the enemy NPC's was an optimizer and then Chriss Avelone came along and made a bunch of quirky NPC companions who aren't optimized to deal with the challenge.

Luckily this becomes better when you level up your group.

Currently in my group I have

Amiri as a flanker. That Ginormous sword just gets in the way at the start, instead of spending a feat on the bastard sword she could have taken a power attack and used a Great sword which would have paid off. I wish she had a Str 18 but they that's why we have a belts with +2 Str for. She is my most reliable damage output at the start of the game as she can hit really hard.

Valerie. Starts to shine at level 5 when she gets rid of that tower shield penalty and by now she has AC 33 which is enough to anchor my frontline, with bastar sword expertise and a flaming bastard sword she now has a decent damage output, think I'll keep her

Jaethal: Like her, that's why I'm keeping her, everyone needs a snotty elf i their party

Octavia: Made her an arcane trickster....and boy does she manage to hit hard with ther ranged touch attacks

Tristian: Was going to switch him out for Harrim but the whiny old pal has kinda grown on me so I think I'll keep him in my group

Corwin Darkshard: Known as Baron Darkshard of the barony of Darkshard. Wizard Evoker that blasts things to pieces
    In all fairness we can only blame them for choosing to use Amiri, not for her build. Having an oversized weapon has been her whole thing since the start of Pathfinder. The fact that she doesn't have a modified Titan mauler archetype or something is pretty unforgivable though.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Well the iconic Amiri has a STR-18 and CON-14. For whatever reason they decided to make them both 16. Even in the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game she has a higher STR than CON. Since she is only a 20 pt buy she is easily replaced with a better built companion.

Valerie is a 27 pt buy, although a very un-optimized one. But she is serviceable due to the AI not being too good about bypassing tanks. I have her with dazzling display and it makes a nice opening debuff. I'm going to take her into Stalwart Defender and I saw someone suggest getting 1 level of Thug rogue for the buff to shaken->frightened. I've had good luck with her getting a bunch of monsters stacked up on her and Linzi hitting them with Glitterdust.

Harrim is not a terrible build but he is only 20 pt buy. It sucks that he has a low CHA and DEX. If he had one less WIS to start he would be able to have a DEX-12 or CHA-12. The charisma would be nice for the extra channel and maybe putting him in range of selective channel.

Tristian is 29 pt buy but has way over invested in WIS and CHA. Those points would have been better spent elsewhere. Since he is an Ecclesitheurge he has no armor and his poor DEX makes him pretty squishy. At least he has selective channel and a decent number of Channel Energies. Just wish the quick channel feat was in.

Thinking of making my Druid game an all custom built party everyone with animal companions. I might sub in a bard just for the buffs to all the critters.

Druid
    Sylvan Sorcerer
    Monster Tactician Inquisitor w/Animal Domain
    Cleric of Erastil w/Animal and Plant Domain
    Mad Dog Barbarian
    Ranger

IMO humans are the best race in this game. The +1 skill point/level is huge with the consolidated skills and reduced INT/class skill points. If you are running a human Fighter, Cleric or Paladin and are not planning to go above INT 10 then dump INT to 7. You get the same amount of skill points per level and more points to put somewhere else.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Alright thanks for the recomendations. Does sound like the game is worth giving a chance then.

Does the game have a gigantic memory leak for anyone else? The longer I play, the longer load times get, and if I exit the game after playing for more than a couple of hours, my (powerful desktop) computer takes at least ten minutes to recover enough to even run a browser without lagging.
    This does concern me though. I dont have a powerful desktop. Only a normal one.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    So far it doesn't. I play on a regular laptop with an i3 and 6G of RAM. Load times are pretty annoying and I usually close my browser to play in order to give the game more breathing space. All things considered it runs pretty well on the laptop, and I'm happy about that because it means I can play during work downtime. ^^

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VexingFool View Post
    Druid
    Sylvan Sorcerer
    Monster Tactician Inquisitor w/Animal Domain
    Cleric of Erastil w/Animal and Plant Domain
    Mad Dog Barbarian
    Ranger
    I had to do a double take when I saw your party configuration. I am currently running a VERY similar custom group myself and we are RUINING the enemies, even on challenging (The group is now level 5). We managed to kill off the were-rats in that one cave when we were 3rd level. Magic saved us cause we DID NOT have the weapons needed for really hurting them. Warm bodies helped (summons).

Aasimar Inquisitor (Monster Tactician) w/ Animal Domain (Leopard + Boon companion)
    Monster summoning + Augmented Summoning + Teamwork feats
    Character is ranged and a buffer
    Inquisitor all the way, no multiclassing

Human Cleric (Herald Caller) of Erastil w/ Animal Domain (Smilodon + Boon Companion)
    Character is Melee oriented, one handed + shield
    Summons before entering challenging combat
    Gets the augmented summoning stuff in place of 1 domain
    Selective Channeling for in combat mass healing of companions
    Cleric all the way, no multiclassing

Dwarven Barbarian (Mad Dog) / Fighter / Ranger (Freebooter) (Smilodon + Boon Companion)
    Yeah, he kills stuff. Needs iron will for the horrible will save
    Flanks with companion for more hit, power attack, uses falcata + shield
    Eventually going to be Barbarian 16 / Fighter 2 / Ranger 2

Human Druid (Feyspeaker) / Sorcerer (Sylvan) [Mystic Theurge eventually] (Leopard w/ Boon Companion)
    This character is a long term project, so far (Druid 4 / Sorcerer 1) he mage armor's the companions (Spell Specialization for 3 hour buff). Entangles, ranged attacks. Acid splash for TROLLS.
    Druid focused, for wildshape escape options. Probably Druid 6 / Sorcerer 4 / Mystic Theurge 10

Halfling Bard (Thundercaller)
    Force multiplier, 'nuff said.
    Ranged combat, skill monkey, backup trickery
    Bard all the way... No multiclassing

Halfling Rogue (Eldritch Scoundrel) / Monk (Scaled Fist) / Paladin (Divine Hunter)
    Switch hitter, for protecting the squishies. Also, 3rd level paladin gives precise shot to other archers that target same enemy. MASSIVE saves (we are talking fort 11, ref 11, will 8 at level 4).
    This is my main trickery/stealth character
    Probably going to be Rogue 4 / Monk 13 / Paladin 3
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2018-10-02 at 10:24 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    I suspect it's "if you are attacking someone who is in melee range with someone other than you." Because how could you determine if someone's being threatened by multiple archers?
    Well I can confirm its just two people attacking one target is whats considered flanking. Managed to have my archer and arcane trickster on one target and I was getting spell sneak attacks on it without any melee even remotely close to the enemy.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Goodness gracious, I just played literally all through the night. oÔ

@Eldonauran:
    I also noticed today that technically you can run a party of 6 with 6 Full Animal Companions and not use a class twice. :p
    It's also funny how the Ranger doesn't have an AT that gives it a full pet progression without Boon Companion.
    --

I fiddled around with a new game, then wasn't quite happy with that character and went back to the old one. I missed out on some goodies that were bugged in the release version, but CBA to replay everything just to pick up those trinkets. Either way, I finally got around to hiring two Mercs for my party. So now I use a mix of standard and custom companions:

Main: Aasimar (Angelkin) Paladin of Irori. There's not really much going on with Paladin feats, so no need to take Human. Fights with a big fat Greatsword now (which btw looks awesome) but eventually I'll have her switch to Falchion around level 9 (when I can take Improved Crit).

Mercs:
    - Human Fighter skilled as Archer. Once she has picked up Weapon Training I'm probably gonna switch to Rogue for Sneak Attack. Note that Dueling Gloves are in the game, so together with Weapon Training that's an extra +3 To Hit and Damage.

- Human Inquisitor of Erastil (Monster Tactician) with Animal Domain, and 1 level of Mad Dog Barbarian to bring the Pet (Leopard of course) online and up to par at level 3, and also to pick up Martial Weapons. I'm either gonna skill him tanky with Sword & Board, or give him a Polearm and Combat Reflexes. The latter probably will make sense once multiple Summons come online. Has replaced Amiri in my party.

Companions:
    I now have all Comps you can find in the first chapter, but I think the ones I'm gonna stick with in party are Linzi, Octavia and Tristian. As I said before, a Merc Bard would certainly be more effective, but I kinda like the little bug. Octavia for Wizard / Arcane Trickster. As for Tristian, he has a lot of healing so that's nice; honestly I didn't even try to figure out his Ecclesi.. Escleti... his AT abilities. Pushed a crossbow in his hands to he doesn't charge into battle and have him keep an eye out for HP status. Maybe I'll kick him out later if I don't need his Channels anymore.

BTW I had been misinformed and also passed on faulty information in this thread: Mercs are PB20, not 25. Sorry about that.

It's a party of 6 so I am not getting an XP boost, but wouldn't really know who to leave behind. Currently no problems with PnP difficulty settings.

17. - Top - End - #107

DwarfClericGuy

This game is weird. Ran into a leopard at level 2. I did 60 damage to him and wiped.

18. - Top - End - #108

DwarfClericGuy

oh yeah and DC 35 to use a scroll of cure blind?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    Well, I mean ... unless it's written in braille? =)

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This game is weird. Ran into a leopard at level 2. I did 60 damage to him and wiped.
    Yeah, some of those static areas are not set to randomize their creaturesand their CR. The mature leopard and the were-rats, for example. I encountered the leopard after my attack on the Stag Lord, and it was more of a speed bump than anything. "Oh, look. The newest of our Smilodons got a bit of a scratch."

That is being fixed in the new hotfix. DC was 20+Caster Level. Being changed to 20+spell level.

On a side note... I really hope they add in an option to edit portraits/voices after character creation. My Mad Dog Barbarian hairy male dwarf is sounding a tad ... less masculine than intended. Hahaha. Didn't notice I was on the female voices (and had headphones off) when picking his voice.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2018-10-03 at 12:27 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Is it an ill tempered leopard? Seriously though if it is the Elder leopard that is a pretty tough fight. I used the pre-order color spray item to stun him 3 times and it took a couple of reloads.

@Eldonauran

Looks like a good setup. I'm going to try and use a different animal type for each character even though it's less optimal. Is there a way to name your animal companions? I really want to name my mammoth Snuffy.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

So are Octavia and Rehgongar not voiced, or is there a bug affecting my save?

23. - Top - End - #113

SolithKnightGuy

They are voiced, but (like every other character) not for every single thing. Still, you should hear them speak often.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

When I rolled my Inquisitor merc, only one voiceset played (Confident iirc), the others simply remained silent. Don't know if that's intentional.

BTW: have you noticed? The game offers very little information on the spellcasting capabilities of the classes. Unless I simply missed it, the ingame class overview doesn't tell when and how many spell levels a particular class can access, let alone which ones. That's certainly not a big deal for tabletop players, but gamers who don't know the 3E chassis will be rather clueless. Also, the Wiki contains spell lists for all the primary casters now, but not for the Paladin and Ranger. Now that's a tad annoying.

My aforementioned buddy is pretty miffed because he rolled a Diviner Wizard, and there are only _4_ (Arcane) Divination spells in the entire game. Conjuration is also not the domineering school we know from the tabletop. Some of the best Conj spells have been moved to other schools, for instance Web is Transmutation here.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VexingFool View Post
    @Eldonauran

Looks like a good setup. I'm going to try and use a different animal type for each character even though it's less optimal. Is there a way to name your animal companions? I really want to name my mammoth Snuffy.
    No way that I have found to rename the animal companions. Makes it a little confusing for me when I have two leopards and two smilodons and can't tell who they belong to. Also, they need to add a way to quickly check the hp of the companions without having to open the character screen on each of the companions. I say just add it under the name tag on the tooltip.

Oh, and I finally got into the 2nd Chapter (I took my time, this is the third character that I've tried and actually like). Going on with the cat theme, I have official named my kingdom "The Pridelands" and my capital is now "Pride Rock". I am absolutely LOVING that fact that I've run into several clerics of Erastil and how its playing a large role in my game so far. I don't know if that's by design or not (maybe if you picked a different deity, the NPCs might be slightly different) but it certainly helps my immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter
    My aforementioned buddy is pretty miffed because he rolled a Diviner Wizard, and there are only _4_ (Arcane) Divination spells in the entire game. Conjuration is also not the domineering school we know from the tabletop. Some of the best Conj spells have been moved to other schools, for instance Web is Transmutation here.
    Yeah... I really wanted some way of prebuilding the character to see all the options (if there is a way I have NOT found it). Either way, I'd have never made a wizard in this game with anything other than Evocation school, as CRPGs tend to focus more on hack and slash than what you would expect in a normal campaign. Different assumptions have to go in towards character creation.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2018-10-03 at 10:14 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah the amount of information offered in-game is pretty atrocious.
    You can't see in advance what "Rage Powers" or "Rogue Talents" or the like even are - sure, you could access the wiki, but that stuff should really be in-game.
    Likewise, you can't see at all which spells each class gets, or when they get their next spell level.
    How saves or BAB advance is also pretty obscure - and considering that may or may not change for at leat one archetype (the Feyspeaker druid gets low BAB in Pathfinder, do they in this game?) that's pretty bleh.

And the wiki for the game doesn't even have all that information yet, and relying on the PFSRD or Archives of Nethys not only makes this game even harder to access for people, but is also unreliable because some stuff just works differently in this game than in Pathfinder (which is a good thing, mind).

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Yah I feel ya, I already restarted 3 times or so. That's relatively normal for me with CRPGs, though. Sure it's annoying to redo the starting levels over and over, but better than realizing much later that you aren't happy with choices you made in the early game.
    Today I actually restarted my so far favourite character - Luciel, the Angelkin Paladin - because I felt I was losing out from continuing a pre-patch game. The patched game fixes some issues and gives you a better start in general. And in my experience, replaying stuff you did before goes much faster than the first time round.

My plan now is to pick up an Archer merc asap. The other merc is supposed to be a Beastmaster, but I'm not quite sure if I want to recreate the Monster Tactician or try one of the other, oh, six possible builds to get it. Anyway, that one's not super urgent; if I take one that needs Boon Companion I might hold off until level 5.
    (Actually, the Mad Dog 1 / Inqui X Combo was a bit of a nonsense; sure you get the pet online immediately, but before level 4 it's rubbish anyway.)

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Can anyone who's advanced in the game tell me if I can enchant Amiri's oversized Bastard Sword? I'm level 3 now, and debating on whether I should stick with it or take Weapon Focus: Greatsword.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, you CAN preview rogue ralents, bard talents, rage powers, and the like (not spells sadly) but you have to be at the level where you get to pick one and then select the “show unavailable” button.

30. - Top - End - #120

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    Yeah, some of those static areas are not set to randomize their creaturesand their CR. The mature leopard and the were-rats, for example. I encountered the leopard after my attack on the Stag Lord, and it was more of a speed bump than anything. "Oh, look. The newest of our Smilodons got a bit of a scratch."
    I don't mind that- I mean if I wander into the fire giant cave at level 2 that is my problem- I should not get a weak fire giant.
    But a warg with a +16 attack in a starting area? Why does that warg have a +16 to attack?