New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread V: Escape from LA

And the fact that the Greek roots involved didn't use prepositions, you mean?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Night Twist

15 RHD: so I'm kind of expecting this to be crap already. Let's see about that.

Aside from the plant HD, the twist has a considerable amount of strength, some natural armor, 10 ft. movement, DR 10/slashing, fire vulnerability, and three 2d8 slams (which the book has the audacity to call 'powerful').

The special abilities are a mixed bag. Death Curse is basically useless because by the time it has effect you're not playing a night twist anymore (the effect itself is pretty cool, though). Unholy Grace is a good ability that's only made better by +10 racial charisma.

Despair Song is quite interesting, being a large-range Crushing Despair effect that also forces affected creatures to move closer. Sadly, it's kind of limited by apparently not sparing allies, being limited in when it can be used, and not preventing affected foes from just attacking you once they've gotten to you.

Finally there's Wind Blast (free-action all-around Gust of Wind) which seems to have some utility in preventing medium creatures from approaching you, at least. Anything bigger than that can completely ignore the effect, though.

SLAs are okay. 3/day Deeper Darkness, Entangle, Blight, Fear, and Phantasmal Killer aren't the worst of spells, though there are a lot of creatures immune to all but the first two.

In the end, the night twist simply doesn't have enough features to make up for its large number of RHD. -0 LA, with a very slight tendency to +0.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

I wish this was good. I'd love to play a dirgesinger bard with this thing, but the RHD just doesn't let you do much at all even with the abilities granted. -0 but it had potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

...Why do I not see people mention Rapidstrike more often? I mean, doesn't help with a Night Twist(at least for a PC), but hey, more attacks.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with the “cool monster, poor PC” verdict. 15 RHD without racial casting just isn’t gonna do it.

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ...Why do I not see people mention Rapidstrike more often? I mean, doesn't help with a Night Twist(at least for a PC), but hey, more attacks.
    Look up the old “King of Smack” build (and its offshoots).
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

6. - Top - End - #186

MindFlayer

Kinda thinking I'm going to conclude -0, but there is potential here.

CR 12, RHD 15, caster level 10 isn't good. Anything with SR means this thing is a beatstick only, and will need work to be effective at that. Entangle is effective, but that's a 1st level spell (but a very good one) in a 15th level party.

Large with 20' innate reach, can afford a fly item to ignore 10' move speed, boost Cha a bit and it has impressive AC, hps, and saves. (Yes, I'm aware "I'll be the last to die!" does not a T3 make.)

Could dip barbarian and crusader for pounce, thicket of blades, stand still or knockdown, mage slayer. Eww, combat reflexes with base 6 dex. Rapidstrike could help dps but with so few features feats are precious.

Sorry I think its a bit short. Would do fine in T4 party as the beatstick, and isn't unplayable at +0 for T3 but isn't really there. Staying -0, but I'll listen to people who do better at optimizing it than I can.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

Concur, -0 that with a little more could make it to +0.

Far more interesting as a monster than as a PC.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

With fewer HD, those abilities could be really interesting.

But I can't see many ways to contribute in a T3 party at level 16+.

Verdict: LA -0, give me a smaller Dusktwist with 6 RHD please.

9. - Top - End - #189

The Night Twist is LA -0, but is a lot closer than you might expect from 15 Plant RHD. The Natural AC is 1 for 1 to RHD, and the net abilities are net +58, averaging out to slightly less than 4 per RHD, what I consider acceptable. The 10 ft base speed is mostly irrelevant at the point where you would have even a single class level, and Unholy Grace cures a lot of defensive ills. SLAs are mediocre but usable, and the DR is weak but still a net gain. I think people are underestimating the strength of the free action Gust of Wind: sure it cannot affect Large or bigger opponents, but this makes it impossible for medium or smaller opponents to approach you without magical aid from any direction, including flight; for a sphere/hemisphere 240 feet across, that you can maintain indefinitely. If you cannot find a use for that kind of battlefield control at least some of the time, you should be playing a different game.

As for the Despair Song: errata changes my opinion quite a bit, so I think it is a rather weak bonus most critters pick up by 10 RHD. Nothing of particular import there.

I am inclined to mostly ignore the Despair Song in combat terms, since by the time you are playing an ECL 16+ Night Twist with class levels most CR appropriate opponents are likely to have immunities or a combination of saves, resists and magical aid to make it a footnote in direct combat. I stand by LA -0, but not nearly as weak as it appears at first glance-changing the RHD to Outsider or Dragon alone might be sufficient to put this into LA +0. It only has a couple of standouts, but they are worth a proper appraisal.
    Last edited by ViperMagnum357; 2018-10-14 at 03:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    ... and three 2d8 slams (which the book has the audacity to call 'powerful').
    A single blow deals more damage than a greatsword, a mule's kick, or falling off the roof of a two-story building. It can unleash one of these blows every other second. By the standards of non-adventurers, that's friggin' powerful!
    Shame that it's being compared to adventurers.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

11. - Top - End - #191

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357 View Post
    As for the Despair Song: really not sure how to rate it, because it is a low grade magical WMD: once per night, scattering a powerful compulsion across a 5 mile radius per HD of the Night Twist is a little much.
    My copy says the radius is 50 ft per HD.

----

I'm going to toe the line and say LA -0 for the night twist.
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2018-10-14 at 02:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    My copy says the radius is 50 ft per HD.

----

I'm going to toe the line and say LA -0 for the night twist.
    My printing is August 2004, and the ability clearly states a radius of five miles per HD of the Night Twist. What printing are you reading?

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357 View Post
    My printing is August 2004, and the ability clearly states a radius of five miles per HD of the Night Twist. What printing are you reading?
    Errata changes it to 50 ft per HD:
    Pages 110–111: Night Twist
    Remove “Survival +17” from the Skills line of the stat
    block.
    Also, the range of the night twist’s despair song ability
    is 50 feet per HD, not 5 miles per HD.

Changes to the stat block for the ancient night twist:
    Advancement: 26–48 HD (Huge)
    In the Combat section of the ancient night twist, delete
    the sentence: It summons plants to its aid if faced with
    superior numbers. The ancient night twist does not have
    the ability to summon plants.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    Errata changes it to 50 ft per HD:
    Right just checked the errata-I forgot they actually did fix some things. In that case, I will remove my objection. Still LA -0 either way.

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    for me personally, its because i always forget things besides dragons can take it lol but i double checked and quite a few types can, neat.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Putting aside the RHD (for a moment), this is a pretty solid monster. Decent ability scores, plant immunities, OK-ish special attacks, a handful of SLAs, Cha to saves and AC.

The 15 RHD is the killer through. 5 class level before epic. Your team mates are throwing around 8th level spells.

Less HD, I could see LA +0 (or higher, depending how many RHD), but as is, LA -0 from me.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Putting aside the RHD (for a moment), this is a pretty solid monster. Decent ability scores, plant immunities, OK-ish special attacks, a handful of SLAs, Cha to saves and AC.

The 15 RHD is the killer through. 5 class level before epic. Your team mates are throwing around 8th level spells.

Less HD, I could see LA +0 (or higher, depending how many RHD), but as is, LA -0 from me.
    I concur, a solid -0.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

-0 for this guy, though I don't think it is too far from being +0

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    for me personally, its because i always forget things besides dragons can take it lol but i double checked and quite a few types can, neat.
    Why is that feat type-restricted, anyways? And what's with the types chosen? You have the big "animal-shaped magic thing" types (dragons, magical beasts, some aberrations), plus plant and elemental...which are both "natural" types? But why not animal type, since they're animal-shaped? Why not fey, since they're "natural"? Why can mind flayers take Rapidstrike, but not any monstrous humanoids?
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Why is that feat type-restricted, anyways? And what's with the types chosen? You have the big "animal-shaped magic thing" types (dragons, magical beasts, some aberrations), plus plant and elemental...which are both "natural" types? But why not animal type, since they're animal-shaped? Why not fey, since they're "natural"? Why can mind flayers take Rapidstrike, but not any monstrous humanoids?
    I suspect it was to make it unavailable to PCs so they eliminated all likely PC-able types. Its up for debate if they succeeded.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post

Your party might not be casting 8th level spells, they could be binders, warlocks, psychic warriors and initiators.

I think it compares well enough to them that it could be called a +0

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    I can think of no reason that it is, and IMO, it shouldn't be.

On the other hand, I normally just houserule that natural attacks get iteratives.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    I suspect it was to make it unavailable to PCs so they eliminated all likely PC-able types. Its up for debate if they succeeded.
    Aren't there at least a couple of feats, prestige classes, etc which give PCs dragon type? And none which give them, say, the animal type?
    (And isn't that sort of a stupid reason to add in type restrictions?)
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    Aberrations are the big one in my experience, since there are some solid Aberration PC races.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    That doesn't explain why animals can't take it, and there are ways for players to be those types, anyways (kobolds, elans). So, either that wasn't the intent, or they didn't do a good job.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    That doesn't explain why animals can't take it, and there are ways for players to be those types, anyways (kobolds, elans). So, either that wasn't the intent, or they didn't do a good job.
    Some of the better PC classes gain the service of animal companions. Players will control a character of the Animal type.

Not sure if that actually was the intent, but the mockery you're attempting seems a bit premature.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Some of the better PC classes gain the service of animal companions. Players will control a character of the Animal type.

Not sure if that actually was the intent, but the mockery you're attempting seems a bit premature.
    Theoretically, the DM decides what feats and such that an animal companion gets since it's an NPC not a PC.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Theoretically, the DM decides what feats and such that an animal companion gets since it's an NPC not a PC.
    That's not always true in practice but that doesn't seem to matter.

The animal would be in the player's hands either way, so how would your theory be relevant?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    That's not always true in practice but that doesn't seem to matter.

The animal would be in the player's hands either way, so how would your theory be relevant?
    I'm not sure what your question is. What are you objecting to? I was just stating that players can't be animals, and you seem to have some problem with that?
    Last edited by Celestia; 2018-10-15 at 11:57 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure what your question is. What are you objecting to? I was just stating that players can't be animals, and you seem to have some problem with that?
    Players are humans (so far as we know).

PCs controlled by players include the Animal Companion class feature, which gives players control of Animal type characters.

Your assertion that players never build nor control Animals is incorrect.

There is no particular question here.