New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Can celestial be swapped for fiendish using Summon Monster speels?

The title says it all (almost)...

I have a good character (lvl 8 cleric) who is suddenly in an aquatic campaign. Can the celestial template be substituted for the fiendish template on the legal Summon Monster lists?
    Last edited by esm3x; 2018-09-25 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typo
    There are 10 types of people in this world: those that know binary and those that don't

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Can celestial be swapped for fiendish using Summon Monster speels?

Not by RAW, but that's a fair enough trade for your DM to houserule in.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Re: Can celestial be swapped for fiendish using Summon Monster speels?

Can you cite the reference where this is outlined?

I've looked through the PH DMG and MM but didn't see this explicitly stated. I would like to know as I DM another campaign and this has come up, there.

TIA!
    There are 10 types of people in this world: those that know binary and those that don't

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Can celestial be swapped for fiendish using Summon Monster spells?

Quote Originally Posted by esm3x View Post
    Can you cite the reference where this is outlined?

I've looked through the PH DMG and MM but didn't see this explicitly stated. I would like to know as I DM another campaign and this has come up, there.

TIA!
    Err... How does he cite a passage that doesn't exist?

(Also, it's spelled "spells.")
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2018-10-17 at 02:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I may be mistaken, but I THINK the OP is asking if you can change the Celestial/Fiendish descriptors in front of some of the monsters. So,can he summon a celestial octopus instead of a fiendish one.

Any yes, a question for your DM, but I'd allow it.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

BY RAW you can summon what it says on the lists, so no.

I believe Pathfinder does it differently (letting you apply either template to the base creatures).

So RAW, in 3.5 no you can't summon a Celestial Boar instead of a Fiendish Boar with Summon Monster III; but as other's have said, it's an entirely reasonable house-rule.

[edit]

There's a couple of things that can change this:

The Perfect Summons spell (BoED) changes all summoned creatures to Celestial/good-aligned versions.

The Distort Summons spell (BoVD) changes all summoned creatures to Fiendish/evil-aligned versions.

[/edit]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

You could dip Malconvoker, although that just lets you summon evil stuff with Summon Monster as a Good Cleric.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post

I believe Pathfinder does it differently (letting you apply either template to the base creatures).

So RAW, in 3.5 no you can't summon a Celestial Boar instead of a Fiendish Boar with Summon Monster III; but as other's have said, it's an entirely reasonable house-rule.

[edit]

The Perfect Summons spell (BoED) changes all summoned creatures to Celestial/good-aligned versions.

The Distort Summons spell (BoVD) changes all summoned creatures to Fiendish/evil-aligned versions.

[/edit]
    Just a note, the bestiary 2 in pathfinder adds the lawful and chaotic templates as well to summons.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm sorry, but it looks like RAW says "No!":
    Quote Originally Posted by Planar Handbook
    The caster can't replace a template of creatures that he couldn't summon due to his alignment, nor can he bring in a template of creatures he can't summon for that reason. For instance, a lawful good cleric can't replace fiendish creatures with axiomatic creatures, since his alignment precludes him from summoning fiendish (evil) creatures, nor could he replace celestial creatures with anarchic creatures, since his alignment precludes him from summoning chaotic creatures. He could replace celestial creatures with vivacious creatures.
    One possible solution there is Purify Summoning [exalted] feat (Dragon #353):
    Each creature you conjure with any summon spell gains the good subtype, and creatures that are not already good in alignment become good.
    But I'm not sure if even this will work...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Planar Handbook
    The caster can't replace a template of creatures that he couldn't summon due to his alignment, nor can he bring in a template of creatures he can't summon for that reason. For instance, a lawful good cleric can't replace fiendish creatures with axiomatic creatures, since his alignment precludes him from summoning fiendish (evil) creatures, nor could he replace celestial creatures with anarchic creatures, since his alignment precludes him from summoning chaotic creatures. He could replace celestial creatures with vivacious creatures.
    Which reads to me like the RAW says "Yes, but..."
    If the OP is a Good cleric, then he would not be able to swap the templates (because he could not summon Evil creatures...) If he is "good" (but Neutral) he could.

Each creature you conjure with any summon spell gains the good subtype, and creatures that are not already good in alignment become good.
    But I'm not sure if even this will work...
    That seems to be specifically what the feat is for, so I don't see why it wouldn't work... (Of course, the [Exalted] tag is a pretty hard lock...)
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!

11. - Top - End - #11

RedWizardGuy

Octopi are bad persons

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selion View Post
    Octopi are bad persons
    1 - Defendant clearly has tentacles in direct violation to standards of public morality.

2 - Defendant corrupts the purity of the English language by coercing a Latin suffix onto a Greek root.

Guilty.

I hereby sentence the convict to calamari.

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    1 - Defendant clearly has tentacles in direct violation to standards of public morality.

2 - Defendant corrupts the purity of the English language by coercing a Latin suffix onto a Greek root.

Guilty.

I hereby sentence the convict to calamari.
    Ahahaha, I'm italian, my english may sound funny sometimes

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selion View Post
    Ahahaha, I'm italian, my english may sound funny sometimes
    There's nothing wrong with your English -- it's the octopi who are at fault.

(I was taught to use "octopi" in an American school; it's weird but apparently acceptable, and I like how funny it sounds.)

15. - Top - End - #15

(I was taught to use "octopi" in an American school; it's weird but apparently acceptable, and I like how funny it sounds.)
    And it's just one step away from an octo-pie, which is what happens when you cut a quiche into eight pieces. Double bonus points if it's made from an actual octopus.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    And it's just one step away from an octo-pie, which is what happens when you cut a quiche into eight pieces. Double bonus points if it's made from an actual octopus.
    [nods in pizza]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Can celestial be swapped for fiendish using Summon Monster speels?

Thank you, I was previously unaware of this feat.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rijan_Sai View Post
    Which reads to me like the RAW says "Yes, but..."
    If the OP is a Good cleric, then he would not be able to swap the templates (because he could not summon Evil creatures...) If he is "good" (but Neutral) he could.

That seems to be specifically what the feat is for, so I don't see why it wouldn't work... (Of course, the [Exalted] tag is a pretty hard lock...)
    Absolutely. Go nuts with good-aligned fiendish octopi.

RAW aside, there's no good reason not to be able to summon a Celestial octopus or a fiendish badger.

19. - Top - End - #19

The main reason Planar Handbook gave against it, was that the spells become "too good for their level".
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

20. - Top - End - #20

...huh?

I didn't realize "no, sorry, you're an evil cleric, so you can only have a dire rat, not a badger" was supposed to be an actual balancing measure.

Especially since arcane spellcasters can summon opposed-alignment ones freely.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...huh?

I didn't realize "no, sorry, you're an evil cleric, so you can only have a dire rat, not a badger" was supposed to be an actual balancing measure.

Especially since arcane spellcasters can summon opposed-alignment ones freely.
    Yeah, but clerics have heavy armour and 3/4 base attack. Got to rein 'em in, yaknow?
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

22. - Top - End - #22

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Double points scored! There is a traditional food from my hometown consisting of pizza filled with octopi, tomatoes and olives. Here is a picture.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Absolutely. Go nuts with good-aligned fiendish octopi.

RAW aside, there's no good reason not to be able to summon a Celestial octopus or a fiendish badger.
    Well, I may be senile, and this may be a 2e thing / 2e thinking, but I thought that which were fiendish and which were celestial was based on their perception by the world's inhabitants. Thus, I thought that there just weren't celestial octopi available to summon to worlds that maligned the 8-legged aquatic creatures.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Well, I may be senile, and this may be a 2e thing / 2e thinking, but I thought that which were fiendish and which were celestial was based on their perception by the world's inhabitants. Thus, I thought that there just weren't celestial octopi available to summon to worlds that maligned the 8-legged aquatic creatures.
    I think that's lycanthropes. Werewolves are Evil because wolves eat sheep, and little piggies, and little red riding hoods (even though they don't unless they're driven insane by disease or last-ditch starvation), so of course they're evil mean meanie-pants (without the pants).
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2018-10-19 at 08:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

NecromancerGirl

I was taught octopuses in an American school, but all Good and Decent Persons know that octopodes is the only acceptable pluralization in Polite Society.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    ...being Celestial or Fiendish is based on plane or origin, having exactly squat to do with anyone’s perception. Not sure where you’d be getting this from.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SLOTHRPG95 View Post
    I was taught octopuses in an American school, but all Good and Decent Persons know that octopodes is the only acceptable pluralization in Polite Society.
    The proper word for this thread is octopedantry.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    ...being Celestial or Fiendish is based on plane or origin, having exactly squat to do with anyone’s perception. Not sure where you’d be getting this from.
    I think he was postulating specifically about the Summon Monster lists: why we get Fiendish Rats and Celestial Lions.

Animals seen to be sneaky or evil appear on the lists as fiendish; while those traditionally seen to be brave or noble appear as celestial.

Of course their plane of origin determines this mechanically...
    Last edited by Thurbane; 2018-10-20 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typos

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Can celestial be swapped for fiendish using Summon Monster speels?

Originally Posted by Planar Handbook

One possible solution there is Purify Summoning [exalted] feat (Dragon #353):But I'm not sure if even this will work...
    TY, this is what I was looking for!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

[edit]

[/edit]
    I think this is your best option, my guy. Side note, totally need to play a Sea Witch(Stormwrack pg.68) if you are a Summoner in an aquatic campaign. I am and have yet to be disappointed. Not for everyone, but nothing ever is.