The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 451 to 480 of 499
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    A small smile crosses Jorge face as you reassure him. But it is quickly replaced with abject terror. I can't miss my shift. It is not allowed! I'm a good employee, I am always on time!
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  2. - Top - End - #452
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    warper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    New Guistinal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Osorkon feels a chill run down his spine as Jorge smiles briefly. He nurses his drink and nods in agreement with Gratoire.

    ”Well then, how long do you have? Tell us what you can.”
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Pending

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoldenfedora
    You beautiful bastard, making me agree with you by complimenting me

    Fantastic Avatar by smuchmuch!

  3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Sunrise, sunset. Sunrise, sunset; never again under the Desert sun. He started muttering between bites of his food, no longer making eye contact.
    Sunrise, sunset. Sunrise, sunset; never again under the Desert sun.
    Sunrise, sunset. Sunrise, sunset; never again under the Desert sun.
    Sunrise, sunset. Sunrise, sunset; never again under the Desert sun.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Not recognizing the man that Graitore and Osorkon are approaching, Oathbreaker decides to give them some privacy and returns to his room to meditate before getting what sleep he could prior to ending this distraction from their mission.
    Speaking of which, the ancient guardsman goes looking for their charge, softly speaking his name once in private company, in the event he was invisible or otherwise nearby but not in physical form.

    "Astrophel . . . are you well? It seems we are close to ending this request from the Admiral, and hopefully we will be able to be on our way in another day or two."
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  5. - Top - End - #455
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Maine/Everywhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Gratoire let go of Jorge's shoulder. They would have to bring him to a healer in the morning to see if there was anything to be done. He had a suspicion that Jorge might fight him if he keeps the man away from work in the morning. He decides to try one last time to see if there was anything bit of info they could gleam from him.

    "Jorge," he says trying to get his attention again and bring him back to lucidity, "Do you know anything about a boat? A boat with a red sail?"

    Afterwards, He explains the situation to the other Risen Guard before purchasing an extra mattress for his room. He did his best to explain to the innkeeper that the man was sick in the head and would be seeing a healer tomorrow but shouldn't go anywhere without him. He laid down some extra coin for the hassle, before bringing him upstairs

  6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Jorge calmed down, slowly, having finished his dinner. Uh... Ya! I remember! His face lit up once again. I remember because I carried the crate! It was really heavy and I dropped it and the lid popped off. But Mr. Drunmer didn't find out cause I put it back on! I left it in his office and then I saw it on my way into work! Mr. Drunmer was there and some other guys were putting it on a boat with a red sail. He stopped, face screwing up in confusion. Though it don't make much sense to ship out a buncha bottles so early in the morning. But Mr. Drunmer doesn't pay me to think, now does he!?

    _____________________________________

    In a minute or two, a trail of mist moved underneath the door of Oathbreaker's room and Astrophel formed in its place. I am well; thank you for asking. But I feel your assessment is not quite accurate. This Mr. Drunmer seems to be a dangerous malcontent and has been proven to be difficult to capture as tonight's scuffle proved.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  7. - Top - End - #457
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Inwardly, Zadkiel perked up at the otherwise depressing scene. At least the poor sap had given them a lead. He gave a furtive glance around the bar to find out who else might be eavesdropping on the conversation.

  8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Oathbreaker considers Astrophel's words and shrugs.

    "Perhaps. But we have identified the man responsible, and the means by which he is accomplishing his smuggling. He will not be able to operate as freely as he once did. And technically, the Admiral's request was simply to put an end to his smuggling ring, not catch him. If we can scare him to the point that he seeks an easier city in which to operate, that will satisfy our mission. Should we cross paths with him again, I have an idea of how to counter his magic, which to this point appears to be nothing more than borrowed power rather than innate ability."

    Despite his words, Oathbreaker was still a bit troubled as to how the man how located so many bottles, and the timing of another djinni-type becoming involved in Osirion's affairs. Perhaps he would have the opportunity to question this Mr. Drunmer once he was apprehended as to where and how he came by these bottles, and if anyone else was pulling his strings.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  9. - Top - End - #459
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Maine/Everywhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Graitore made a quick assumption that those bottles were more of Easifa's essence and wondered if Drunmer's feats of magic were the result of one bottle or the many that they might have at their disposal.

    "Good job Jorge, that is very helpful to us.

    Do you remember where you got the crate from?"

  10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Jorge shook his head. No... I didn't see where it came from. Sorry... Suddenly, the man's eye's drooped and he nearly slumped over. I'm sorry new friends, but I'm very tired. I gotta be up early for work ya? He got up shakily and started making his way towards the door, though Graitore was able to easily guide him towards his room to the spare mattress positioned there. It seems the moment he laid down, he was fast asleep.

    _________________________________

    I am glad you have the future in mind, Oathbreaker. But for now, you should rest. I will observe the waters tonight; if he dares another incursion I will warn you immediately though I'm not sure how much help you can be this far away.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    I could crash like that tonight. Zadkiel waited a while longer before paying for his drink and trudging up to his room.

  12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Oathbreaker simply inclines his head at Astrophel's offer, and then kneels down beside his bed to meditate for a short while before finally climbing into the bed and falling asleep.

    (Ready to move on to see if the Admiral has any new ideas!)
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Graitore, with little effort, carries Jorge to the nearest guard post and after a lengthy and roudabout explanation, got him into a cell and chained so that he'd be safe from himself (and others from him) if he became violent in the morning. As you all settle in for the night, your sleep is not easily gained. Everyone experiences some repetition of a previous dream, or possibly a nightmare, but yet the results of each remain the same. In the morning, you eat with your comrades in silence. After a brief side trip to a Pharasmin temple on Graitore's request, you head back past The Neck and onto the the Brothers and into the Naval complex.

    The main building is a bustle of activity. People are shouting at each other and based on the dress of the shouting mob, the Navy and at least 3 other distinct groups are having a go at each other. Accusations of breach of jurisdiction, martial law and police states, as well as cries for release of peoples loved ones are common in the din. Aminta spots you across the way and together you force your way through the raucous mob to the upper level. Thankfully, there is no one up here save yourselves (though the noise below still carries up here). Off in the distance, to the north in the Inner Sea a storm rumbles and darkens the sky. Looks like a big storm is coming. You haven't seen a storm like they have here in Totra have you Gaphet? She turns to Graitore but quickly averts her eyes and continues moving, not letting Graitore respond.

    Once back in the Admiral's Office, she sits at her desk, head in her hands and Jira stares out mysteriously towards the brewing storm. Apologies, Risen Guard, for th less than warm welcome. This Mr. Drunmer business is a vipers nest. But that's what I'm here for. She rises, fixing her uniform and approaching you and shaking each of your hands before offering the the traditional Risen Guard salute; right hand across the chest palm of her heart in the sign of the reclaimer the Phaoroh's family name. I thank you for your service, Risen Guard, and as promised I have provided you with transportation. A new ship design my engineers have been working on; small and sleek designed for stealthy missions for a small team on long time frames. Perfect field test, if you ask me. She gestures to the docks to the north and you spy a small boat, roughly 30 ft long and half as wide buoyed next to larger naval vessels. It lacked much ornamentation and had only a single mast with a small sail. It has an enchanted udder that can propel it even when wind is scarce or against currents. She turned to Aminta and with a sly grinned continued. Of course, I can't release an experimental naval craft into the care of anyone with a squid on board; you'll run it aground before you leave the harbor. So then, Ensign Aminta, you are hereby ordered to attending to the heretofore unnamed craft and record its performance on its first official operation.

    Aminta was stunned, initially, but quickly controlled her face and smiled, returning Admiral Sa-Hor-Et's smile. Of course Ma'am, it be my pleasure. Her eyes flit towards Graitore and she hesitates for a moment before continuing. I must ask, Ma'am, if this is in relation to my predicament last night? The Admiral offered a small smile, nodding slightly. Yes, in part. I was planning on sending you with them initially; you obviously knew Graitore prior to his joining of the Guard and its the happiest I've seen you since joining me as my secretary. You are a wonderful secretary, Aminta, but your a Squid. I know you are dying to get back out there with water underneath you. But yes; I am afraid for your safety and so long as Mr. Drunmer is still at large, I fear he may try to use you as leverage again.

    I thank you for your concern, Admiral. If I may, I need to go get packing. Aminta excused herself and left the room. For the next hour or so, you spoke with the Admiral about a variety of topics; the Pharoah, your mission, your experience in Totra, Sothis, discussing the operation of your new vessel. The entire time, Jira stared towards the oncoming storm and not long after Aminta left, Astrophel joined her in silent contemplation. It was only after Admiral Sa-Hor-Et mentioned that Aminta should be back soon that Jira finally speak. Something is wrong.

    She pointed towards the horizon, the brewing storm having blotted the sun and casting dark shadow over the Inner Sea. You can just make out ships moving about in the waters, presumably the Admiral's fleet running its blockade. In a moment, a gust of wind blows through the open air office, buffeting you as you stand to join Jira in her watch of the sea. Jira suddenly brandished a reed stalk, twisted into a loop and chanting a few words in what you assume is druidic and a pale green aura envelops her for a moment before dissipating. A moment later, you spy a boat entering the harbor with a blood-red sail that hangs limply despite the near-constant wind gusts. The green aura flares around Jira once more and she remains standing firm. I am prepared this time, cretin. She whispers to herself. The Admiral, meanwhile, is busy speaking into a large horn, which responds in a garbled but mostly intelligible words; based on the context she's speaking with the captains of her fleet and ordering them to pull the blockade inward, to seal off Bloodsail's escape route.

    Unlike last night, Bloodsail floats lazily into port. It moved at such an agonizingly slow pace, you question if it was being drug along by a chain instead of being propelled by wind or whatever water-magic Mr. Drunmer seems to employ. It comes to rest at a point roughly in the middle of the outer harbor. The fleet has changed course, funneling towards the Outer Harbor but at at least 10 minutes away if not more. What is Mr. Drunmer doing? As if to answer her question, a ripple emanates from Bloodsail. Zadkiel felt the pulse, the two bottles he had on his person shaking and rattling in his coat. The pulse crested small waves that washed against the shores of Totra's harbors. A few minutes after the first, a second pulse emanated traveling faster than the first. And a third, coming quicker than the second and traveling even faster. Soon, the pulses came steady, like a beating heart.

    But then it stopped. The pulsing stopped and it felt empty and strange to not hear the rhythmic waves crashing against the shore. After a few tense moments, Bloodsail suddenly lurched into the sky upon an up-swell of water, as if some massive beat was surfacing. But the water never broke upon this beasts head; it simply rose higher and higher into the air upon a mountain of water. As the boat finally reached its zenith, the mound of water began to take on a rough shape. Two limbs extracted themselves from the main body; a sphere formed at the apex, displacing Bloodsail before it came to rest and floating on the torso of the newly formed water-humanoid shape. The sphere slowly takes on the shape of a face roughly handsome but too indistinct to be an individual. The watery behemoth sways and moves, seemingly disoriented. It examined its hands for a moment before jerking in shock. It stared at it's wrist as a massive block of salt forms around it in the shape of a manacle. Salt grows out of this manacle, creating links that violently anchor themselves to the ground. The process repeats with its other hand pulling its arms forcefully to its sides. It cries out in pain, head back in anguish, its cry echoing throughout the harbors. It is suddenly cut short as a collar of salt appears around its throat and a corresponding chain tethers it to the outer harbor.

    The massive behemoth rests for a few moments before stirring. It raised its hands, the salt-binds no longer restricting its movement. It moved with fluid grace and with a confidence not found within its earlier movements. It raised its arms towards the sky slowly and with it, the waters of the harbor rose into a massive wave frozen in time. With a simple flick of its wrists, the tidal wave rushed forward threatening to wash Totra into the sea. Jira is at the docks, having jumped down there as you were preoccupied with the behemoth in the harbor. She raised her arms to the sky, chanting loudly. She began to float into the air as the wall of water rushed towards her. You braced for the inevitable impact but none came. You felt a fine spray of salt-water but no deluge knocked you from your feet. Jira stood, arms raised, as water crashed against an invisible barrier keeping the waters from crossing onto land. She called to you, strain evident in her voice. Admiral! Risen Guard! I implore you, Totra needs your help! This monstrosity will sink the city if given the chance! I will hold it for as long as I can; find a way! Quick!

    The Admiral turned to you, her easy-going demeanor turned graven stone. You are being conscripted; This is more important than your escort mission. I am sorry Ambassador. Astrophel bowed gracifully and spoke. Do not apologize Admiral; I know an emergency if I see one. If I may, I will seek to help the people of Totra to safety. The Admiral nodded, placing an insignia in his palm. Your assistance is greatly appreciated Ambassador Astrophel; if we make it through this day; Khemet will hear of it. Astrophel took the form of a bat and took to the sky as thunder cracked and a downpour started. Lets move Risen Guard! Those chains; I suspect they are what binds this thing here. It did not attack till they formed. I think this being is how Mr. Drunmer was performing his water-magicks. If we release it... let us hope that is sufficient cause for it to spare Totra its wrath. Break those chains. I will rally my fleet. For Khemet and for Osirion! The Admiral leapt from the building landing on her feet and rushing towards the roaring wall of water. With little effort she scaled its surface as if scaling a ladder and disappeared over the lip, seeming to tread upon its surface as easily as solid ground.

    The rain intensifies as thunder cracks. As you steel yourself to move yourself, you spy shapes moving through the water. All kinds of aquatic creatures move past, some escaping its confines and falling to the street below. The screams of Totra's citizens begin in earnest.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Due to work being stupid, I won't be able to fully update again till about next Friday so I hope I'll give you some stuff to mull over in the time. First and foremost your first and main objective here is to break the chains that bind the Behemoth. Three in total; the two that bind its arms were anchored at some point in the Qaidran Quarter and the Slave Docks, respectively while the one that binds its neck bound into the waters of the outer harbor facing the Inner Sea. Given the position of the naval fleet, Admiral Ha-Sor-Et is likely going to be targeting that one. So the first point of order is whether you like to tackle its left arm (Qaidran Quarter) or the right arm (Slave Docks).

    Conditions of note; the wall of water is roughly 30 ft high and the water is tumultuous. Traversing it requires at least a DC 35 Athletics (swim) check or, if under the effects of a Water Walk spell, requires an Acrobatics or Athletics (Swim) check to stay above water as the water acts to pull to its depths. Basically not very safe. It is raining heavily; this penalizes Perception Checks and random wind gusts can hamper ranged attacks (20% chance of taking the same penalty each round). Likely, if given too long, Totra will start flooding from the rain alone regardless if Jira can hold back the wall of water.

    Finally a few things to consider; I'll be tracking a few different victory conditions for this scenario. The first and foremost is the Victory Condition of defeating the Behemoth and Mr.d Drunmer. Each main objective you complete (the salt-chains, amongst others that will crop up as you move about your objectives) will determine how successful you are at containing this main threat. Next is People Saved; you will encounter many situations where the common people of Totra are in trouble and in need of saving; it is up to you how many you go to rescue and in many instances the events will be timed (in-game). Success here represents how well you protect the common people of Totra. Obviously you can't save everyone; there will be casualties. You must weigh the importance of your mission and those in dire danger in front of you. Success here means you will have saved the majority of the people you could have and likely a fair number more as a consequence. Finally; there is one category of anti-win. This is for events that aren't directly tied to the Behemoth's power but nonetheless a result of its incursion. Basically defeating these events won't directly help you towards the main victory but will prevent complications for Totra and Osirion in the future.

    In any of these cases, I will tell you when you've gained (or lost) points towards these conditions. For clarity you have Victory Points, for the main objective, People points for people saved and Complications, which are subtracted when dealt with.

    Good luck.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    You waste little time, rushing from the Admiral's now empty second story office to the streets below. Already, small pools of water are collecting in shallows and divots in the street. As you were at the tip of the Brother peninsula, most everyone had already fled the nearby area by the time you were out on the street but the sound panicking people is not far off. With few words, you decide on the only real course of action; head towards the Neck and from there, decide on which chain to tackle first. You begin running down the rain-soaked streets, boots splashing water and becoming thoroughly soaked in minutes. As you run, more people materialize in the streets. People are confused, panicking, running with no clear direction except away.

    It takes but a few minutes at your hastened pace to reach the marketplace that is The Neck. And like its namesake, it comes to a narrow point, a cluster of crowded buildings and the only opening in the streets further crowded by merchant stalls. Now, however, the shoppers and merchants have abandoned their merchandise in pursuit of their own salvation further inland. The number of people in the marketplace is thick, and the crowd slow moving; some unseen obstruction further on forestalling the crowd. As you move into the marketplace proper, you notice people running about and screaming as green-skinned humanoids with fish-like qualities chase them with tridents. You spy one such fish-person with a bloody human over their shoulder running towards the wall of water with its awkward gait. Further down, you spy a number of horses, tied to various posts, who are in turn restless and onery.

    Spoiler: Yet more Homebrew rules!
    Show
    So I'm implementing another homebrew rule, because I'm terrible. This is a mechanic known as The Time Pool.
    The way the Time Pool works is that when you guys commit to a certain action (or set of actions) which would take some amount of time (not combat, as that is usually finished in under 2 minutes), I add a Die to the Time Pool. The size of the die depends on the relative danger of the area you are in; currently you guys are in a high danger area and the die I'll be using is a d4. Roughly speaking, 1 die in the Time Pool equates to approximately 10 minutes, in-universe. Approximately. When the Time Pool hits 6 die (approx. 1 hour) or whenever you spend time (IE; when another die would be added but instead of adding a die), I roll the Time Pool. If any of the die result in a 1 (thus why a d4 is used for a high danger area), Something Bad (tm) happens. What that means depends entirely on the situation and in some cases won't be immediately apparent. If the result of a die is a 1, either the whole pool is cleared (if it was full and thus represents 1 hour of in-universe time passing) or one die is removed (if I roll it prior to it being full).

    The point of this rule is to add a tangible feeling of time to the game. Force you to be aware of the passage of time and it inexorable effects and be able to more accurately weight the cost of time in a given action.

    Currently, your Time Pool is at 1d4, to represent the travel time from the tip of The Brothers peninsula to The Neck with no distractions.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Oathbreaker sighed in irritation as they ran into their first obstacle on the way to dealing with this Mr. Drummer's next move.

    Speaking of which, despite not knowing anything about the man, Mr. Drummer had earned the dubious honor of being put on Oathbreaker's list for this little display.
    A show of raw power it may be, but bringing the entire city to the bottom of the ocean for little gain besides pure spite was the sort of thing that *he* would do.
    And a repeat of Oman's petulance was not something that Oathbreaker would tolerate surviving in this world.
    But first, the giant elemental attempting to drown the city, and these fish . . . people before that.

    Hoping that perhaps these fish people could be bought off, and having a plan for if they could not be, Oathbreaker advances towards the nearest creature, discretely drawing his recently purchased wand from his belt with one hand while using his other to pull out three platinum coins. He addresses the creature as loudly as he can, first in Aquan, and then in Common.

    Spoiler: Aquan
    Show

    "Greetings, denizens of the sea! I wish to purchase your services! If you will return to your home without further violence and leave the people of this city alone, I will pay each of you one platinum coin!"


    "Greetings, denizens of the sea! I wish to purchase your services! If you will return to your home without further violence and leave the people of this city alone, I will pay each of you one platinum coin!"

    Oathbreaker tilts his hand towards the nearby creature, allowing the rain to spatter off of the three platinum coins held in the palm of his hand. His offer was genuine, but if they didn't want to be paid to leave, then Oathbreaker was happy to give them his coins anyway, at a considerably higher velocity if the claims of the wand's creator could be believed.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Move: Advance 30', drawing Wand from belt as part of move.
    Standard: Draw 3 Platinum Coins from Money Pouch and offer to pay the fish people 1 platinum each to leave. Yes, I counted, that looks like 13 or so fishbacks to me. Oathbreaker has plenty of platinum coins for that.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2019-09-13 at 07:48 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Zadkiel stood to the side, not daring to reach for his weapon while he waited to see if Oathbreaker's ploy would work. He didn't understand the language but the proffered coin would have made what he was doing obvious to anyone.

  17. - Top - End - #467
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Maine/Everywhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Graitore didn't like what he saw as they headed forward. The people were in disarray and just as likely to run into danger as they were to run out of it. Mass panics were like fire, if left unchecked they would spread and become even more dangerous. Graitore felt that he had to put out this games fire quickly knowing that quick action was the best solution when tragedy occurred.


    Looking out, he began to pick out the guards and soldiers that were in the streets. His mind worked as fast as he could to create an effective plan. He had to reunite the lawmen of Totra so that they could efficiently evacuate the people they swore to protect.

    "You there! Grab any soldiers you can find we have to assist the people! he quickly fell into the tambor of military yelling to ensure that he was heard and followed as he barked out order after order. "Keep on the lookout for anyone who might have fallen they'll get trampled by other citizens! Form a rear guard! I want search teams! You're gonna earn your keep today boys!!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    profession soldier to organize proper evacuation (1d20+11)[27]

  18. - Top - End - #468
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    warper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    New Guistinal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Osorkon looked at the panic around him and at the water, seeing blood instead for a second. The dream kept persisting and he could see the metaphorical flood of blood. He blinked the visions away as the group traveled. ”Let me in! This will help us. Konvolus Kvi.” He said as he cut his palm open. As he felt each of his companions hearts beat faster he nodded and rushed to keep up.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Mass control on the party with lengthened control =6 hours. 2 spell points and 2 non-lethal.
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Pending

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoldenfedora
    You beautiful bastard, making me agree with you by complimenting me

    Fantastic Avatar by smuchmuch!

  19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    As Graitore starts shouting at people, the collective fish people perk up at Oathbreaker's offer of a shiny coin. Tentatively, the nearest one approaches the man, a webbed hand outstretched so far as to keep itself as far away from his person as possible. When the coin landed in its palm with no other funny business, it studied the coin before waddling towards the water. Slowly, the collective fish-people start to surround Oathbreaker but not one raises their tridents toward him. Despite this, many of them had already made off with civilians who have surely drowned in the waters. It takes some time, but soon each fish-person is slightly richer and more importantly off the streets.

    Spoiler: Oathbreaker (or others, as needed)
    Show
    1,000 GP (100 PP) poorer.


    Meanwhile, Graitore started rounding up people left and right, ordering them into groups, placing people in charge of safety and head counts. Guards soon make themselves known, many seem relieved to have some leadership in the mess of things. As the last few fish-people waddle towards the water, a crowd of a few dozen people, separated into groups of about five with at least one guard escort, had been gathered in the market.

    As your quartet mount the abandoned horses, Graitore points the mass of people inland directing them away from the sea and higher ground (what little there is). The crowd starts to move slowly. Its not a blind panic, but a big group sticking relatively close together doesn't move quickly. You ride on ahead, hoping to intercept any more dangers in their direct path. Luckily, the streets are bare of anymore threats. The Neck had started to narrow, the rain-water accumulating rapidly but those in the crowd should be able to cross through the center only as wet as they are now. But now you face a dilemma; where to head first. From your vantage point, you can't see much towards either direction; the walls of water block most of your sight. The Qaidran quarter, it seems, to be plagued with bolts of lightning striking the general area far more than is natural. But the waters to the west, towards the slave dock, are teeming with dark shapes of various size; certainly the number of opportunistic aquatic monstrosities will be thicker there.

    Spoiler: Time Pool, Points
    Show
    2d4 Time Pool
    People Points: +5 (5 total)
    I'll need a decision on where you are heading first (and the manner of approach. Speed, direction, pathing, etc).
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2019-09-18 at 09:50 PM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Oathbreaker sizes up the first fishman to approach to evaluate whether or not he was about to get a spear in the gut.
    When it is clear that the creature is only here for the promised money, Oathbreaker flips one of the platinum coins out of his palm with his thumb, flicking it into the creature's hand.
    More press forward then, and more and still more after that.
    Oathbreaker continues to dip his hand into his money pouch as the crowd swells to several dozen ogling fishmen, pulling out the coins three or six at a time and distributing them as fast as he can to the outreached hands.
    As this went on without the crowd appreciably dispersing despite the paid fishmen clearly walking away into the waters apparently satisfied, Oathbreaker began to grow a bit worried at the limits of his funds.

    "Zadkiel."

    Oathbreaker quietly addressed his associate from the corner of his mouth, while maintaining a calm expression and continuing to hand out coins.

    "Please go see Graitore and Osorkon and collect the rest of our reserve funds, so that we can ensure every last one of these . . . visitors receive their payment."

    Oathbreaker wasn't sure if the fishpeople could understand common Osirion on not, but it didn't seem wise to insult them all the same.

    (Assuming we can scrape together the last 550 GP we need . . .)

    Oathbreaker sighs with a bit of relief as the last of the intruders receives its payment and leaves without further violence. While necessary, the effort had depleted his money pouch almost entirely, and made a considerable dent in the others' spare money as well. At least this section of the city seemed to be peaceful again, although it was likely all for naught if these rains continued. Moving towards the borrowed horses, Oathbreaker checked to ensure that each had a proper saddle and bridle, and then swung himself up into the lead one.

    "Hold a moment. Please bring your mounts close enough for me to touch."

    Oathbreaker instructed, and then began weaving magic around himself, Zadkiel and the horses. As the spell built to its crescendo, he reached out and tapped the archer, all four of the horses, and himself as well while intoning - "Initiate Arcana: Wave Strider!

    Nodding in satisfaction, Oathbreaker urged his horse forward towards the slave district, tucking his unused back into his belt and drawing his short sword, which hissed as rain drops pelted into the flames.

    "Let's go - I'm sure there are more sea creatures ahead, ones who likely will not be so easily bought off."

    As his horse moved, it began to glide across the surface of the growing pools of water in the streets, rather than splashing through them.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Spending 2 Arcane Pool Points to grant Oathbreaker, Zadkiel, and all four horses Water Walking for the next hour.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  21. - Top - End - #471
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    warper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    New Guistinal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Osorkon’s jaw dropped as Oathbreaker was surrounded only to watch them leave with some coin. He rushed forward at Oathbreaker’s request and got his own pouch out. ”That was amazing Oathbreaker. Surely saved many lives with that ploy.” Osorkon mounted his horse with the others, nodding and agreeing to go to the slave docks first. Oathbreaker casts his spell, and then he’s off.
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Pending

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoldenfedora
    You beautiful bastard, making me agree with you by complimenting me

    Fantastic Avatar by smuchmuch!

  22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Zadkiel looked around as best he could, squinting in the driving rain. When he spotted the bodies lying in the street from an apparently ritualistic massacre, he felt his hackles rise, noticeable instantly even above the tension of the calamitous moment. It was a familiar feeling, one he now knew was more than instinct: it was his divine patron's guidance. "Look at those bodies, unnaturally pale. Something not right with that—some sinister ritual?"

  23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Your horses make swift pace, Oathbreaker's magic keeping the periodic pools of water from impeding their progress. As you move, you pass signs of destruction, chaos and slaughter all about. You hear carnage off to one distance, a raging whirlpool elsewhere. You see groups of enthralled people marching towards the wall of water while, while others run away from a man in tattered robes. But you push forward as swiftly as you can. As you make your way down one boulevard, which is littered with corpses of people skewered with shanks of sharp bone when one such bone embeds itself into Oathbreaker's horse. The creature doesn't get a chance to react when it stops suddenly, body frozen mid-stride. From above, a man cackles over the sound of peeling thunder, a bow of pristine white aimed at your quartet. He howls at you, in a raspy cackle HOooooo more meat, more prey! Run little meat! Run! It is so much more fun when they run!


    Spoiler
    Show
    New Map on Roll20.
    If Graitore can beat a 15 on init, he can act before the Baykok. Otherwise, I'll edit into this post the Baykok's first full turn.
    OB's horse is Paralyzed for 2 rounds due to a surprise round hit. This means by OB's second turn, his horse will be no longer paralyzed.
    The Baykok is on the roof of the building; approx 15 ft high.
    Time Pool 3d4; general reminder that Combat will never increase the Time Pool unless it is extremely protracted (and then at that point likely not being played round-by-round).
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2019-09-20 at 10:26 PM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Oathbreaker scowls as his horse comes to a sudden stop, nearly pitching him over its head as it freezes in place.
    Immediately his hand flashes out as he intones a by-now familiar phrase - "Initiate Arcana: Limited Invisibility!"
    Now hopefully hidden from the cackling ambusher's sight, as Oathbreaker rocks back on the saddle, he smoothly rolls off the back of the horse.
    He will then seek to move around the back of the nearby building, circling around to attack their opponent from behind.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Standard: Cast Vanish
    Attempted Free - Ride check to Fast Dismount vs. DC 20: (1d20+7)[21]
    Pass: Move action to move 25'
    Stealth: (1d20+27)[38] (-20 if the Baykok can see through invisibility)
    Fail: Stay where he is
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Yes! Tricky meats! Tricky tricky tricky! BAWAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!! The undead horror leapt from the roof and seemed to just float through the air supported by nothing. It came to rest (albeit not fully touching) the roof of the adjacent building as it released a mad cackling that sends shivers down your spines.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone must make a Fortitude save (DC 19) vs. Paralysis for 1 round. This is a [Mind-Affecting, Sonic, Fear] affect. Success negates the paralysis. Note; it is on the roof; approx. 20 ft in the air.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  26. - Top - End - #476
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    warper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    New Guistinal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Osorkon stopped his horse quickly as Oathbreaker pitched forward, confused for only a moment before recognizing the undead creature. He relays what little he knows before getting ready to unleash his Anathema. Blood wasn’t his only power after all. But his hands wouldn’t move. ****! was all he could think as he he tried with all his mental power to move even a finger.
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Pending

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoldenfedora
    You beautiful bastard, making me agree with you by complimenting me

    Fantastic Avatar by smuchmuch!

  27. - Top - End - #477
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Maine/Everywhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    At the sound of the crazed man's laugh, Gratoire's muscles froze. He tried to move, to let go of the reigns in his hands, or open his mouth to yell a warning, but nothing happened. As he realized that the same was happening to his horse, he knew that his allies must be suffering the same fate. He tried to use all of his strength to break free of whatever bound him. Sweat started to fall down his brow, but it was no use.

    Spoiler
    Show
    free action to begin berserking

  28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    "You're a damned disgrace," Zadkiel yelled in reply as he drew on the flame of righteous anger to resist the mad creature's cackling. "And by Neith, you'll die like one!" He scrambled from his paralyzed horse and brought his bow up for a volley.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Expend martial focus to treat the die roll as a 13.

    Swift Action: Activate Bane (Undead) on his weapon.

    Ride check DC 20 to Fast Dismount: (1d20+4)[18]; if this fails (it likely will), dismounting will be a Move Action.

    5' Step an additional square to the north.

    Standard Action: Barrage with Pinning Punishment talent (applies if both attacks hit), DC 19 Reflex negates

    To-Hit: (1d20+11)[15]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[12] + (2d6)[8]

    To-Hit: (1d20+11)[14]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[10] + (2d6)[5]

  29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    The foul creature's laughter halted, its features twisting into incoherent rage. Fudge Nieth, the witch! She is no huntress! She does not respect the kill! She is prey! PREY! He looses a hail of arrows at Zadkiel with pinpoint accuracy; tearing at the man's breast and narrowly missing his heart.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Zadkiel takes 6+5+5 Piercing damage, 3+1+2 negative energy damage, and DC 19 Fort vs. Paralysis for 1 round.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Oathbreaker remains paralyzed at his spot further down the street, able only to watch the archery duel play out.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •