New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

Graitore's instincts told him it was a trap. That they would wake up one night as the gnolls robbed them blind. He also knew that if he could figure it out the others would as well and were better suited than him to handle the situation without causing a commotion. At this point in time he envied that skill, wishing he could invite the power of the Risen Guard and shoo these possible thieves away. He imagined actually telling the gnolls where they would be sleeping that night and setting an antithetical ambush for their ambush. He dissuaded himself from the idea, recognising that to do so would unnecessarily jeopardize their mission.

Since the conversation wasn't directed at him, he contentedly drank his beer in silence. He kept a close ear on the conversation and a ready stance should the situation require his physical intervention.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Even if the gnoll's offer was legitimate, Oathbreaker would not trust that he wouldn't wake up one morning in chains on his way to a gnoll slave pit.
    His comrades had sold a story that would hopefully convince the gnoll to look for other targets, but it still did little to prevent an attempted capture and sale into slavery.
    So Oathbreaker added his own embellishment to the story, one that if believed would lead the gnolls to hunt for them in the wrong direction.

"We head down river to Safani, and then onward to Oe-Tet."

Oathbreaker said solemnly, hoping to send the gnolls off in the opposite direction from them once they broke away from the river at Safani.

Spoiler: Aid Another
    Show

Aiming for an Aid another at selling a story of our destination that the others are working on.

Bluff: (1d20+1)[14]
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Oh lovely little village. Just the same, they aren't particularly welcoming of our kind there. Ah well. Plenty of adventurers who need help elsewhere with all those tombs right? She stands up, just as the barkeep arrives with the drinks she had ordered. He set them down in front of each of you while she grabbed her own. She downed it swiftly before turning and walking towards the door. I'd stick close to the river if I were you. Makes the desert trek much more bearable. She said in passing before disappearing out the door. The other 3 gnolls followed her exit before slowly getting up and following her, eyeing your group briefly but otherwise saying nothing.

After they had left the barkeep spoke up. I'd have kicked them out if not for all the gold they spend here. He sounded only half-annoyed with their presence but made no further comment. The rest of the night was quiet, only a few other patrons entering the establishment and even as you settle in for rest you find no signs of intrusion and your sleep is undisturbed. You awake the next morning refreshed as the sun began to rise over the city's walls. The gates of Ipeq are now open and you are free to leave whenever you are ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here I just need to know if you have any last minute tasks to handle before you set forth into the desert. From this point forward, I'm going to handle the travel day-by-day but that will be primarily handled in various rolls and then a post by me explaining what happened (and starting any combat that may result). Make sure you have all the gear you'll need for a desert journey. Also if your going to bring pack or riding animals or not.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Morning finds Khep heading to the early markets with whomever of the party was willing, looking for waterbags, dried fruits and other necessities for the journey, and is looking somewhat tired already when he meets with the others. "Comrades... we need a camel."

5. - Top - End - #35

SwashbucklerGuy

Graitore was glad to see the gnolls gone, he was glad to see that the evening had not turned to violence. He responded to the bartender with a grunt "If they follow the rules and don't cause trouble, I have no quarrel with them, regardless of race. We all have the capacity to do good to each other." [/b]

In the morning, graitore does his routine stretches and practice before joining Khep to do some final purchases and go hunting for a camel to take with them.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

After briefly discussing your course, you had agreed to leave Ipeq immediately, purchasing a lazy-eyed camel by the name of Journey. It was only an hour after dawn as your quartet, with its new fifth, crossed across the shallows of the Crook. While wary for prying eyes, it seemed the busy city-folk paid little mind to a set of pilgrims crossing the shallows out into the desert.

In only two hours, what sign of civilization and hospitable conditions had laid way to rolling dunes of sand. Thankfully there was only a light breeze keeping you cool but not pushing the dunes into terrible Khasmin storms. By the time the noon-day sun was beating down on you, you stopped to wait out the worst of the heat underneath an outcropping of stone providing just enough shade for your group. Consulting your maps, you believe you are on the right track and estimate to reach Djeng by the end of your second day of travel.

As you rest you hear a strange buzzing sound. It would reach your ears for a few moments before dying abruptly. This repeated for roughly a minute, setting you on edge till you located the source of the constant buzz. Crawling overtop the rocky outcropping, clinging the wall was a massive scarab beetle, as big as Journey but far plumper. It's beady, multi-faceted eyes locked onto your group and buzzed angrily.

Spoiler: Roll Initiative!
    Show
    I'm going to be using Block Initiative. Essentially, barring fights where the NPC's have very important differences the init will go PC/NPC/PC/NPC etc. You don't need to wait for your specific turn in the init order, just post and I'll sort out order of actions from there.

The Beetle got a 20 on its init, so anyone who beats it may act immediately. I'll have a map on roll20 momentarily.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

(OOC: Initiatve from Discord - 22!)

As soon as the beetle comes within sight, Oathbreaker starts to move.
    The fingers of his left hand trace a complex pattern in the air, leaving glowing trails of runes hanging in the air.

"Arcana Initiated: Summon Athame."

Oathbreaker intones, and the runes flow together to form a glowing dagger which Oathbreaker catches as it begins to fall a moment later.
    As soon as this is done, the fingers of his right hand begin to trace a second pattern of precise movements in the air.

"Arcana Initiatied: Limited Invisibility."

And with that, Oathbreaker vanishes from sight.
    Now unseen, he circles out from the group on a looping course towards the beetle, pulling out the simple scythe he carried for weaponry with his right hand.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Swift: Summon Force Athame for 1 Arcana Pool point
    Standard: Cast Vanish. Oathbreaker is now Invisible for 4 rounds or until he attacks.
    Move: Move 15' towards the beetle, 15' away from the other members of the group. Will have a more precise positioning once the map is available.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

The beetle released its grip on the rock, fluttering down on diaphanous wings charging at Zadkiel with gnashing mandibles. Zadkiel attempted to duck underneath but he was too slow, chitinous mandibles sinking into his flesh. The beetle gnawed at Zadkiel's flesh, tearing muscle and sinew.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone roll perception!
    Zadkiel takes 11 damage and 1 Strength damage!
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

9. - Top - End - #39

SwashbucklerGuy

Graitore was secretly excited to finally have something to fight without hesitation. Just as about to throw himself into the fray he heard footsteps approaching. He did a quick scan to see what options he had, but seeing none that satisfied the ex soldier, he decided to make it someone else's problem.

"Contact to the South." He barked just before throwing himself bodily into the beetle. As he moved through the air, he reached into his psyche to where he knew his curse lay and yanked it forward. His body shifted as the curse melded with his form enlarging his muscles, forcing scales to spring from his skin and his teeth to sharpen and multiply. He had fully changed into his cursed form, a powerful crocodile with a hint of a wicked smile hidden behind his jaw full of teeth and fury. He latched down onto the beetle wherever the newly created crocodile could sink his teeth into.

Spoiler
    Show
    free action shift into crocodile
    Move action: move to beetle
    Swift action: shove (melee touch attack to deal 4 damage and cause Target to be battered) rolled a 20 in discord
    Standard: grapple (1d20+13)[14]
    Ac=13
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2018-10-20 at 11:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Khep pulls the staff from his shoulder, a breeze picking up around him as he locks eyes upon the scarab. "Stay close comrades, 'tis but vermi-" he stops for a moment as Oathbreaker vanishes. "Oathbreaker's gone - can anyone break his illusion, lest he be trying to escape?" he says, pointing his staff at Zadkiel. With a rush, a desert wind connects the two for a moment, the sand first stinging, and then quickly soothing his wounds.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    1SP to Cure Zadkiel (7 left, assuming 1 spent already today on fatigue-dealing with)

(3d8+5)[17]

Wild Magic Chance (1d100)[84]

Wild Magic If above roll is 10 or under (1d100)[55]
    Last edited by Genth; 2018-10-21 at 08:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Zadkiel staggered into the wall as the beetle attacked, but collected himself quickly as Khep's healing spell closed the wound back up, and fired off two arrows one after the other at point-blank range.

Spoiler
    Show

5' step to the right, Rapid Shot at the beetle.

To-Hit: (1d20+7)[14]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[9]

To-Hit: (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[10]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Oathbreaker feels a brief surge of indignation at Khep's insinuation that he was using this moment to abandon his duty.
    On the other hand, it was true that he would not hesitate to abandon them all to certain death if it meant completing the mission.
    At this point though, leaving them to be eaten by nothing more than a giant bug seemed . . . premature.
    After seeing what it had just done to Zadkiel, however, it seemed prudent to bide his time for a moment more.
    He focuses his arcane energy into his weapons, and a moment later begins another spell.
    Invisible, only his voice can be heard as a sign of tapping into his magic.

"Initiate Arcana: Ice Sheath. Initiate Arcana: Illusionary Copies."

Then, he creeps around the rock to find a better position.

Show

Perception: (1d20+2)[18]
    Swift: Spend an Arcana pool point to enchant both weapons (due to Spellblade feature) with Frost enchant.
    Standard: Cast Mirror Image, gaining (1d4+1)[2] images.
    Move: Stealth 15' to circle around the rock.
    Stealth: (1d20+10)[27]
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2018-10-21 at 10:31 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

The beetle did not flinch as Graitore's formed shift, nor when he connected with a light blow but it quickly shrugged off his weak hold with a shake. Zadkiel's wounds quickly reseal though he could feel the muscles below his patched skin still burning as his he pulled his bowstring. One arrow goes wide, burring itself into the soft sand while the other slips past the creature's carapace. The beetle kept up its assault, launching at Zadkiel finding purchase once more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Zadkiel takes 15 damage and 1 Strength Damage

Oathbreaker spotted a pair of Gnolls, instantly recognizing the she-Gnoll who had approached you the night prior. Her friendliness was obviously a facade and it seemed they had tracked your movements and waited till you had taken a break to attack. She and her single compatriot crept along the rock's southern face. She stopped just at the edge of the rock, holding still before striking the rock briefly with her knuckle. To the north, the other two gnolls rushed past the northern face before skidding to a stop. Both were holding a folded net but only briefly before tossing them without ceremony. They heaved and tossed their nets but their throwing arms were a tad anemic, both only landing a couple of feet from their posistion. They looked at the nets in the sand with a sense of dread.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone can make a Heal check if you'd like.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

14. - Top - End - #44

SwashbucklerGuy

Graitore saw the gnolls and their pitiful attempt to ensnare them. A small part of him recognized that they should have dealt with them earlier on their own terms. In his new form he was unable to communicate, but he would have told them to wait their turn.

Hissing menacingly he again went to latch onto the beetle. If he could get a hold of it, then the other Risen Guard could deal with the gnolls.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action: shove melee touch attack (1d20+8)[25] deals 4 damage and foe is battered
    Standard: grapple (1d20+13)[15]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Combat Theme!

Oathbreaker sneers upon seeing the gnoll woman from the bar.
    He had no idea how she and her little group of friends had found them, but it seemed as if the gods had demanded their deaths.
    Oathbreaker was happy to oblige.

"Initiate Arcana: Fan of Flames!

Oathbreaker shouts, re-appearing in front of the female gnoll an instant before a cone of flames explodes from his hand, washing over the two southern gnolls.
    The dagger of force he had conjured earlier floats eerily in the air next to his hand, and swoops back into his grip as the spell completes.
    As the flames fade the 3 Oathbreakers is in motion, stepping past the gnoll leader to hack at the minion behind her.
    He then turns back to face the leader, all three of him sneering at her.

"We meetest again! Thou shalt wish we hadn't."

Show

Full Attack: Spell Combat!
    1st Action: Casting Burning Hands, dispelling Vanish but presumably preventing me from taking an AoO from the gnoll leader. If that's not the case let me know.
    Fire Damage: (4d4)[10], Reflex DC 15 for Half

Burning Hands specifically mentions setting flammable objects ablaze in the area of effect, so I imagine if they fail their save, the nets and loop of flax may catch fire?
    Full-Round Action for them to extinguish those flames if they so choose.

5' Step as part of Full-Round Action, which can be during the action, to move 5' east.

2nd Action: Main-Hand Attack against Gnoll Trapper 1. TWF penalty for Spell Combat included.
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[6] plus (1d6)[6] Cold

Swift Action: Arcane Recall to spend an arcane poll point to recall Burning Hands.

Last edited by Inspectre; 2018-10-22 at 05:34 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

His back literally to the wall, Zadkiel saw no other option but to lash out at the giant beetle with his mailed fist.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+5)[18]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[6]

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Zadkiel's weak retaliate connects but it seemed to annoy the bug than actually damage it. Graitore's grip yet again fails but Oathbreaker's furious arcane assault batter's the two Gnolls to the south. The scarab shifted focus, bearing down on the alligator-man sinking its mandibles into his abdomen and tearing his flesh. The gnolls to the north recovered from their apparent failures quickly, drawing a new set of nets and tossing those with more gusto. Zadkiel narrowly sidestepped the one aimed at him but Khep was less lucky as the hempen mesh over took him. The gnolls cried out in their yipping, laughing language

The gnoll leader shifted east, bringing her mancatcher to bear, slipping the loop around Oathbreaker's head but she yanked too quickly and only managed to comb his hair in a very awkward fashion. She barked an order and the final Gnoll threw his own net at the angry Oathbreaker in his face seeming unconcerned with his retaliatory strike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Graitore takes 13 damage and 1 Strength damage
    Khep is Entangled and cannot move more than 30 ft from Trapper 3 without an opposed Str check.
    Oathbreaker is Entangled and cannot move more than 30 ft from Trapper 1 without an opposed Str check.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Frowning, Khep turns to the Gnoll trappers, and waves his staff out towards them. Beneath their feet, the ground starts to shift and shake, unstable and bucking.

"Knock them down if you can, brothers - the sands will devour them."

Show
    Burying the Gnolls - they must make a DC19 Reflex Save or be unable to move. If they get knocked prone, they start to suffocate.

19. - Top - End - #49

SwashbucklerGuy

The scarab's bite focused Gratoire more than it injured him. Too long he was distracted, uncertain about their goal when he wasn't directly guarding the Pharoh., worried about an oathbreaker's presence in his trusted group. The pain reminded him of his purpose, serve the Pharoah. It didn't matter that he was so far away, he was an extension of the Pharoah's will.

He would execute that will. With a roarlike hiss he latched down onto the beetle determined to take it down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action shove: melee touch (1d20+7)[8] damage 3
    Grapple (1d20+12)[25]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Oathbreaker turns away from the leader in a blur, bringing his sickle up and around to gut her follower as he opens his guard in preparation to throw the net in his hands.
    Even as the gnoll tumbles backward in a bloody, ice-coated heap to the sands, Oathbreaker is turning his attention back to the leader.
    Stepping forward remorselessly after her as she backepdals away to get room to use her mancatcher, Oathbreaker delivers a pair of fast strikes from his sickle and his dagger.

Show

5' Step to the West
    Full-Attack versus Gnoll Leader
    On-Hand:
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[11] plus (1d6)[1] Cold
    Off-Hand:
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[17]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[4] plus (1d6)[3] Cold

Edit: Swift Action - Arcane Recall Vanish, spending 1 Arcane Pool point to do so. Forgot about this when I first posted!
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2018-10-26 at 10:31 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Zadkiel knocked a pair of arrows but both skidded off the beetle's carapace with little effect. Oathbreaker, in flurry of blades, swiftly dispatched the Gnolls to the south. Graitore managed to slip past the beetle's defenses, putting it into a chokehold while Khep's spell churned the sand but the Gnoll's seemed unaffected. The remaining Gnolls hesitated before drawing a pair of shortbows, unleashing a quartet of missiles at Khep. The first went wide, skittering off the rock but the others impacted the entangled Undine. The beetle struggled in Graitore's grasp, wriggling and trying to free itself but to no avail.

Spoiler
    Show
    Khep takes 19 Non-lethal damage
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Oathbreaker pauses a moment to spit on the fallen she-gnoll.
    Slavers had always been the worst sort of scum in this world - seems that hadn't changed in thousands of years.
    Still hearing the sounds of battle to the north, Oathbreaker frowns and re-initiates his magic.

"Initiate Arcana: Limited Invisbility."

Vanishing from sight once more, Oathbreaker advances back around to the north, slowly making his way towards the gnolls.

Show

Standard: Cast Vanish
    Move: Move northwest

23. - Top - End - #53

SwashbucklerGuy

His powerful jaws finally had a hold, he would not let go now. He flexed the muscles in his maw squeezing tight as he began to rip into the beetles shell ravenously searching for the fleshy bits underneath.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action power attack animal fury attack (1d20+7)[11]
    Damage (2d6+13)[25]
    Standard action maintain grapple (1d20+12)[18] add 2 if animal fury hits
    If successful deal damage (2d6+13)[19]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Khep flinches from the impact of the arrows, raising a hand as they thud into him, knocking the wind out from him. In response, the aged man flings his hand out towards the northern Gnolls, a wave of sand rising to try and knock them off their feet.

Show
    Using Tremor - (1d20+9)[23] vs CMD to trip them.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Zadkiel grunted in frustration and shot two more arrows at the beetle.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+7)[8]

Attack: (1d20+7)[12]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

As Oathbreaker disappeared from view once more, Zadkiel's continued assault failed to affect the beetle. Khep's magic knocked the Gnolls to their butts, but unfortunately did little to harm their ability to retaliate. The beetle slipped out of Graitore's grasp as he failed to find purchase with his distended jaw. However, the Beetle was equally unlucky, it's snapping mandibles failing to connect on the changed man. The gnolls knocked another volley of arrows but only one connected with Khep, knocking the wind from his lungs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Khep takes 8 Nonlethal damage. Do not forget you are Entangled and thus must make a concentration check to cast spells.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Khep closes his eyes for a moment, and a foul-smelling wind lashes out from his finger towards the beetle.

Show
    Concentration Check for Ghost Strike (1d20+9)[29]

Using Cursed Ghost Strike - (1d20+6)[8] vs Touch, Will save or Blinded except in darkness [DC19]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Oathbreaker moved past the beetle which the others were still struggling to put down, focused solely on the remaining two gnoll archers.
    Getting close to them, he quietly circled around to behind the two of them . . . and waited.

Show

Move: Move past the beetle - if it has some way of sensing invisible people it would probably get an AoO against Oathbreaker. Obviously if it doesn't he does not provoke an AoO due to being invisible. End movement 10' south of Gnoll Trapper 3
    Standard: Stealth move 15' to the northwest and then straight north past the gnolls, ending 1 square NW of Gnoll Trapper 3. That's 1 square off the map, which I learned you can't move into, and I nearly lost the ability to click on Oathbreaker by trying so I wrote on the map instead.
    Stealth: (1d20+10)[18] - Does not include the +20 for being invisible since I don't know if that should really affect sound as well, when someone is moving 5' past you.

If gnoll Trapper 3 moves from its spot or fires a SECOND arrow, Oathbreaker will take his AoO this time (basically I just want him locked in that spot so he can't just fire a shot, get AoO'd, and then run away with a move action.)

To-Hit: (1d20+11)[22] (+2 for being Invisible)
    Damage: (1d6+5)[6] plus (1d6)[3] Cold

29. - Top - End - #59

SwashbucklerGuy

Deprived of the beetle again, Gratoire renews his endeavors to taste the creatures flesh. He leaps forward again, it seemed the rest of the fight was wrapping up, if he could detain the creature his allies could finally destroy it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action shove melee touch attack (1d20+7)[12] 3 damage and battered
    Standard grapple (1d20+12)[25]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Zadkiel cursed vilely. None of his arrows had affected the beetle in the least bit, and it seemed to be at least restrained for now, so he switched to shooting at the gnolls.

Spoiler
    Show

Trapper 2 first.

Attack: (1d20+7)[10]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[8]

Attack: (1d20+7)[13]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[9]