New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

Oathbreaker slides a few steps forward to stand alongside Graitore, angling his hand to point down towards the collapsing whirlpool of sand.

"Initiate Arcana: Fan of Flames!"

A wave of fire washes out from Oathbreaker's hand down into the hole.
    He immediately concentrates his mana back into recalling the spell should more fire prove necessary.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

5' Step forward to be just east of Graitore
    Standard - Burning Hands
    Damage: (4d4)[10] Fire damage, Reflex Save DC 15 or Half.
    If the creature is flammable, it catches fire.
    Swift: Arcane Recall Burning Hands
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Oathbreaker's spread of flame washes over the struggling mass of tentacles. Enraged it lashes out, snapping Oathbreaker's flank but failing to grab hold. It then flailed its tentacles widely but Oathbreaker was able to dodge all but one, which crashed into his face, but again he managed to slip out of its grasp.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oathbreaker takes 5 and 4 damage but does not become grappled.

Top of init! Remember, if you enter or end your turn within the yellow square, make a Reflex save to avoid Entangled.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Khep continues to move his arms, a small stream of grave scented sand connecting him to the pit, keeping the creature contained as best he can.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Continuing to concentrate on keeping the blighter buried.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Zadkiel found himself standing at the edge of the pit, and shot another quick volley of arrows at the creature in the hopes of bringing it down before it could ensnare any of them.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+7)[11]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[12]

Attack: (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[10]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

The arrow slipped past the creature's snapping beak, skewering some part of its unknowable anatomy right where it hurts. It screeched once more, a gurgling cacophony before dying out slowly. The shifting sand settles, the thing's corpse still sitting at the bottom of the pit but no longer poses any danger. The cavern settles into silence, only your breathing and an unnerving presence from the golden door on the far end of the chamber disturbing the silence.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire began crouching down on all fours ready to tear and gnaw into the monster when Zadkiel's arrow struck true. Gratoire stood a little confused before letting out a guffaw of a laugh. "Ha! Excellent shot Zadkiel, you make the Pharoah proud!" he stands back up and begins the work of retrieving his axe.

Once rearmed, he inspects the room curious how their quarry had evaded such a pit trap.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception (1d20+8)[20]
    Survival (1d20+8)[25]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

"Just got lucky is all," Zadkiel replied. "Don't know what kind of creature that is, let alone where to hit it. Anyways, the door is glowing with magic so strong I can barely stand to look at it with the second sight. If anyone else wants to check it for wards, brace yourselves before you look."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Oathbreaker grunts as he ducks under one of the tentacles, only to be walloped in the side by another one.
    This didn't seem to be working well trying to fight from range.
    The ancient warrior gathered himself up, preparing to fling himself directly at the beast's maw in the hopes of taking it down before it could eat him . . . when a single arrow flew true down into the pit and struck something vital to the beast as it simply shuddered and died.

"Indeed. That was a truly perfect shot. Well done."

Oathbreaker says, tucking his scythe back into his belt and wincing as the motion pulled as his bruised ribs.

"Is there any of those potions from the gnolls available? I sustained a minor injury from the beast."

Without waiting for an answer, Oathbreaker directs the summoned lights over to the door directly, circling around the pit and fallen monster and walking right up to the door.
    He then examines the door, not with arcane sight, but simply his own eyes, looking for any symbols, arcane, historic, or otherwise, that look familiar to his eye.

Spoiler: Knowledge Skills
    Show

Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+11)[13]
    Knowledge History: (1d20+8)[20]
    Knowledge Planes: (1d20+11)[17]

9. - Top - End - #129

SwashbucklerGuy

"While that door is quite impressive our chase seems to have gone in a different direction." Gratoire says as he points out the Westward tracks. "I lose them at the sand here, but it sure doesn't look too me like he was heading for the door." Gratoire inspects further along the Western wall trying to figure out where the elf could have gone.
    "Or maybe he just got eaten by the pit and our quest is in vain" Gratoire says with a guffaw.

Spoiler
    Show
    secret door hunt! (1d20+8)[25]

Stepping out of Oathbreaker's light, Gratoire strikes a torch to continue his search.
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2018-12-12 at 11:32 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire smiles when he discovers a passageway hewn into the wall. It wasn't a secret door, which was a shame. Nevertheless a way had been found and Gratoire was ready to take the lead down the tunnel.

"There's a passageway over here, when you are ready I shall take point." After the recent fights, Gratoire was feeling that he had been underperforming in his duty to the Pharoah, something that he was keen to reconcile.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Khep steps forwards, placing a hand on Oathbreaker's shoulder. "A minor help, but return when you have a more serious injury - I shall heal it. Do any others require healing?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Give Oathbreaker 5 THP for 1 hour

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Oathbreaker examines the intricate markings on the door and blinks in surprise as he notices one prominent symbol that he recognizes.
    Of course it would come back to him.
    It would seem that they all still had to pay for his sins.
    Oathbreaker desperately examines the remaining symbols to try to make sense of how this door fit into all this, but no more answers were forthcoming.
    Under his breath, Oathbreaker sighs an ancient curse and pounds his fist against the stone wall right next to the golden door, then moves away from it to rejoin the others.

"I do not understand the exact purpose of this doorway. But many of those symbols are in an ancient form of Ignan, the language of the Efreeti. They reference a convergence of the planes of existence, between the material plane, the First World, and the elemental plane of Fire. I therefore believe that this doorway is some sort of portal to another plane, probably the elemental plane of Fire. We should ensure that it remain closed unless absolutely necessary."

Oathbreaker pauses, nodding his thanks to Khep for the magic and promise of healing - not quite what he wanted, but it would suffice for now.
    He hesitates to share the rest of what he had seen to his comrades, the weight of his long service, and the weight of his original duties, no his original sins, crushing down on him.
    Finally, he speaks again.

"The door also references an efreeti that was an ally of Pharaoh - *my* Pharaoh, Oman . . . The efreeti was promised a great many things in exchange for his aid in containing a daemonic artifact that threatened to slip beyond Oman's ability to control. The efreeti never claimed his price, and it is *that* efreeti, and *that* abominable artifact that are referenced here on this door. We need to find who we have been sent to find, *now*, before he blunders into something far beyond our abilities to deal with!"

Agitated, Oathbreaker steps in behind Graitore, gesturing for his dancing lights to follow and illuminate the tunnel ahead of them.
    They needed to hurry.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Khep's head tilts slightly as he studies Oathbreaker's face during the exposition, a little inscrutable. "As you say, this has moved to dangerous territory. But I would ask you questions as we walk." he says, falling into step at the rear of the group, voice dropping low. The sounds of their battle may likely have ruined chances of stealth, but no point in yelling. "Was the artifact contained? In your time, I mean."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

As you move west, you come to realize how perfectly smooth the walls of the cave are. They bear no marks of workman tools, nor the rough surface of a natural cavern. Even the walls, oddly angled similar to a natural cavern meet the floor and ceiling at neat 90 degree angles. But the observation is quickly overshadowed by a large, red-skinned man, head nearly scraping the ceiling. He is garbed in clothing that one would expect of a desert traveler, though much more of his skin is shown that would be safe in the desert sun. Bangles and chains of glittering metal criss-cross his outfit, one such chain attaching to an oversized piercing on either shoulder. He looks at the group with a burning malice and speaks in a booming voice and you can feel the heat of his breath with every word. Great! More Humans! I've already told the damnable Elf everything I know! NOTHING! He slams a fist at you, which halts part way through his swing, colliding with a barrier that flares to life briefly at the impact before becoming a nearly invisible sheen where his fist presses against it.

I've told you a hundred times, yelling at them will not free you quicker. The cool, airy voice draws you to the other corner of the roughly circular chamber. Another towering man, this one with skin the color of the desert sky, sit's cross-legged. His garb is of light, airy silks which seem to hover around his form instead of laying upon it. He makes eye contact with Khep. You. You are of our blood. Our blood!? Do not include me in your filthy mortal deprivations. My lineage is pure, unsullied by mortals. The blue-skinned man gave the red-skinned man a passing glance before continuing to address Khep. You carry Marid blood. Surely, you can understand our plight. If you can find it in your heart to help your blood-brothers, I will be in your debt. And if you don't, I'll personally boil your water-blood from your veins!

As they speak with you, their predicament becomes obvious. Both are contained with intricate circular patterns carved directly into the floor and based on the red-skinned man's actions, they cannot cross the barrier. They are asking you to free them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana), (Planes), or Spellcraft to learn more about the magic circles.
    Two Knowledge (Planes) to learn more about your colorfully-skinned friends.
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2018-12-16 at 02:15 AM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

15. - Top - End - #135

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire reacts quickly to the incoming attack, preparing to deflect the thrown fist with his torch and counter with his free hand. When the attack falls short, he ceases his reaction, puzzled until he begins to comprehend.

"Ha," he declares as he straightens, recognizing that there was no danger at the moment. "You nearly had me there, you should know though, your temper will not earn you any favors." He scans the room, ignoring the blustering creature before him. "You must have been ensnared for a reason however, what brought you to be in such a predicament? I would like to know before undoing someone else's efforts"

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

"I can see why he was sealed away," Zadkiel indicated the enraged red genie, "but you seem much more reasonable. Either way, I don't know if we can destroy these circles without taking a sledgehammer and spike to the floor."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

The Efreeti chortles, releasing waves of heat into the room. Oh! So you aren't one of the Elf's peons then! If you cannot free me, then leave me. I have been tortured enough being in that insect's presence, I need no more pestering me. His lumbering form turned, showing you his expansive back.

The other's visage remained impassive, with only a slight smile belying his mood. Ah, I see. Well, an Elfen mage by the name of Conall Reyran Called us here using magic. He asked us a great many questions of this place which we had little to answer for. He promised to release us from the circle to return home on the 'morrow, in case he thought of different questions to ask. We saw him, briefly, some days ago running in a panic. He did not acknowledge us and he has not come back this direction since then. That was... The man pauses, seeming to think. I believe nearly 2 of your mortal week's prior. Your system of time has always befuddled me, I'm afraid, so I am unsure if my count is accurate.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Oathbreaker frowns a bit at Khep's question, his tone full of apprehension.

"I believe it is interred in the labyrinth beneath the city of Shiman-Sekh. Oman was not the only one to use the Bottle of the Bound, however. Many of my past . . . quests have involved recapturing one daemon or another that was released from the Bottle. Some unintentionally, others . . . not so much. I can only hope that it has remained undisturbed since my last Awakening."

When the group encountered the two bound geniekin, Oathbreaker hung back a little, concerned that perhaps he had prior dealings with one or the other. Oman had dealt with many outsiders - it was one of the reasons Oathbreaker had learned many of the geniekin's languages. Threatening them in their own native language, after all, seemed to have a degree of specificity that was most effective.

Spoiler: Skill Checks
    Show

Knowledge Arcana for the binding circles: (1d20+11)[12]

Knowledge Planes on Heat Miser: (1d20+11)[19]

Knowledge Planes on Cold Miser: (1d20+11)[27]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well," Zadkiel started, "if we could track this elf down and make him free you both, I bet you could make it worth our while. Any clues to where he might have went? Or for that matter, what he might have been running from?

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive: (1d20+13)[27]

20. - Top - End - #140

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire stood to the side and let his companions perform their investigations. He may not know what these creatures were, but he knew that they were dangerous and not one to truffle with. Especially not by a person as blunt as he was. He began to wonder what the elf had been investigating, obviously it was important since the Pharoah was interfering, but the way Oathbreaker was talking, it sounded like something that was better left forgotten.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

The Djnn pointed further down the corridor, in the same direction you were moving initially. We saw him head in that direction. He did so after first calling us and then again the next time we saw him. But we did not see his return in either case. You are the first sign of sapient life since we last saw the Elf's flight; I cannot say what he was fleeing from. Further, the Djinn shrugged. I do not have much material wealth upon my person. It is... prudent to divulge oneself of valuables before answering a Mortal-Call. There are many stories of my kin finding themselves bereft of their possessions for failing to do so. But I can give you my word, I will be in your debt. If you can call upon me, I shall be of service.

Phuf! Don't expect me to pay you for undoing what that cretin inflicted. You'll be lucky if I don't turn you to nicely burnt corpses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Both Genie's seem to be telling the truth (to the extent of their knowledge). The Djinn's offer is, essentially, accepting a Call in the future for Service, as Lesser Planar Ally. You'll still have to make him aware of your Call (since Djinn can travel to the Prime at-will).
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

"What, do you want to stay in there?" Zadkiel asked the efreeti rhetorically. "Whatever. At least you're agreeable," he nodded to the marid. "Let's see if we can find this elf, eh?" he asked his companions slightly theatrically.

23. - Top - End - #143

SwashbucklerGuy

"Agreed," huffed Gratoire, "We will try to undo your plight. I too hold great regard for when one gives his word. You have it. If something tries to follow is in here, do try and warn us." Gratoire laughs before waving and setting off further down the unexplored tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hope everyone had a good Christmas!!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Khep kneels down beside the circles, tapping his chin thoughtfully on how best to go about freeing the pair..

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Spellcraft (1d20+8)[14]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Zadkiel tapped Khep as he turned to follow Gratoire. "Better not tinker with that. Gotta get an expert. Come on, let's go."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

"Agreed. We can release them after we find him."

Oathbreaker said in agreement with Zadkiel's warning about the magic circles, but he was getting a sinking feeling that perhaps they were too late.
    Whatever was going on here, it was far more troubling than even a dragon attacking a settlement.
    For now though, the mission remained the same - find their contact and rescue him if need be.
    Oathbreaker hurried after Graitore further down the tunnel, sending his dancing lights ahead of them.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

The Djinn bides you fair well and good luck while the Efreeti makes all available effort to ignore your departure. Again, you take note of how clean the craftsmanship of the cave's surface is. Surely, great magics were used in its construction. It is only a short walk before the narrow corridor widens into a roughly circular room, much like the entrance. And just like the entrance, another massive golden door is set to one wall. A cursory look shows the door is near-identical to the first, though small, seemingly insignificant details are different. A face turned at a different angle, a hand splayed flat instead of closed in fist and other small details vary across its magnificent fresco. You also notice, while the whole of the cave is hot, this chamber is near sweltering, as bad as spending the whole day in the Osirion sun without a scrape of shade. Otherwise, the chamber is unremarkable.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception checks please. If you'd like to make any checks on this door, you are welcome. The depictions are identical except for small details here and there that don't change the overall message/story the fresco depicts.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Zadkiel examined the door with the same scrutiny he'd given the first—though a little more wary this time, in case the strength of the enchantments was blinding again.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+13)[21]

He will examine it the old-fashioned way before using Detect Magic. In case they may be needed:

Spellcraft: (1d20+10)[25]
    Kn (Arcana): (1d20+7)[8]

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As Khep enters the room, looking around carefully, his face falls as he sees something. "Oh." he says before trying to leap out the way of something, pulling Zadkiel with him

(1d20+3)[20] initiative

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Khep's quick thinking managed to pull himself away but Zadkiel was not paying enough attention to move in time. With a duo of heavy shclorps!, two large globules of lava rained down from the ceiling, one falling in the now empty space Khep managed to vacate. Zadkiel found his head and back burning painfully as the molten rock rolled down his head and back, filling the cavern with the smell of burning hair. In the ceiling above, two forms emerge from the rock. One is in the rough visage of a creature common to the forests of Avistan to the north, a bear, but as if roughly carved from a piece of cooled lava. The other seemed to be a bipedal cat, again roughly carved from igneous rock. Rivulets of lava course over the two creature's skin and a warm glow emanates from their gaping mouths.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll initiative!
    Zadkiel takes 6 Fire damage. The orange/red circles on the map is where the lava has pooled. For the next round, anyone who moves through (or ends their turn, in the case of Zadkiel), in either of those squares takes 2d6 Fire damage.

The creatures (Knowledge: The Planes), are currently on the ceiling, 15 ft above the floor.

Their init result was 11, so Khep and anyone else who beats them acts first.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!