The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 499
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Zadkiel fought down the frustration at trying to hit such a small target while its choking cloud continued to ravage his companions. Their best hope now, he reasoned, was a quick end to the fight. He aimed carefully and tried a different approach to his usual barrage.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Using the Deadly Shot action from the Sniper Sphere, expending martial focus to add 1d10 to the damage.

    Attack: (1d20+10)[24]
    Damage: (2d6+5)[14] + (1d10)[8]
    vs Concealment: (1d100)[71], (1d100)[86] either roll above 50 hits

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Graitore tore at the creature's unseen, craggy flesh with unrestrained savagery. He found solid purchase and an explosion of acrid, metallic burning blood fills his mouth. It howled in pain as the beastman squeezed the air from its lungs. Unfortunately, Oathbreaker's blows failed to find purchase still, passing through solid air. With luck, Zadkiel unleashed a well aimed shot, the arrow embedding in the creature's back, seeming to hang in the air.

    Even as Graitore's teeth pulled at its flesh, it stopped struggling once again. Graitore braced for another blast of its caustic breath but it never came. Instead, the air in the room shuddered as a slit appeared in the air. Through the slit escaped intense heat shimmers and the roar of a burning inferno. The slit widened rapidly and through it a pair of massive, red hands grabbed the edges. And then another pair and yet a third pair. The six arms pulled and heaved its body through the slit. It was massive, towering so high that the creature remain stooped inside the already large cavern. It's skin was the purest, angriest red and covered head to toe in ornate silks of various shades of reds and oranges and bedecked in countless bits of shining silver, gold and platinum and studded with precious gems of impeccable luster in all shades of ruby and amber. Its face, twisted into a visage of pure fury, had massive long curving tusks that added to its frightening visage. At its hip sat a large satchel, burgeoning with contents unknown as well as a special sheath that housed three khopesh sized for the behemoth with twins on its opposite hip. There was little doubt what this creature was; it barred many resemblance to the efreeti you encountered only a few minutes prior, if not for it's absolutely massive stature, extra arms and insanely luxurious clothing and accessories.

    The massive efreeti pointed at Graitore and spoke in a booming voice, like an volcanic eruption. [Unhand my precious Olivia! She is my delicate flower! Release her and you shall be spared my fury!]As it issued its accusation, its remaining hands drew its massive khopesh and raised the menacingly, poised to strike.

    Spoiler: Will Save; DC 19 (that means Zadkiel)
    Show
    As the massive efreeti appeared, you notice a few times the genie's head passed through the cieling, ever so slightly. It quickly dawns on you this efreeti is not real; an illusory fake. As the realization hits, the efreeti's form becomes transparent, making clear what is real and what is false.
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2019-01-17 at 02:18 AM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    "An illusion. These creatures can conjure them," Zadkiel growled as he strode forward and contemptuously tossed a chunk of stone through the imposing glamer.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Maine/Everywhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Gratoire would have laughed at the pixie's ingenuity, if his mouth wasn't already full of the pixie herself. He contented himself with rewarding her efforts by continuing to treat her as a worthy adversary. His teeth ground and gnashed tearing at whatever they found within his jaw.

    Spoiler
    Show
    fort save (1d20+7)[8]
    Animal fury (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage (2d6+7)[14]
    Grapple (1d20+18)[31] add 2 if animal fury hits
    Damage (2d6+7)[12]

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Zadkiel choked as he plunged into the fumes. Still too far away to help anyone, he now saw, other than by shooting the damnable little creature.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Back to the usual barrage.

    Attack: (1d20+8)[18]
    Damage: (2d4+5)[9]
    Miss Chance: (1d100)[37]; (1d100)[100]; high succeeds

    Attack: (1d20+8)[27]
    Damage: (2d4+5)[9]
    Miss Chance: (1d100)[24]; (1d100)[97]; high succeeds

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Oathbreaker freezes as the massive efreet reveals itself - Al'Sura'Garrash'A'Tuin no doubt.
    His mind races as he considers his options, finding little more than the same he had before.
    He could continue to fight and in all likelihood die, or attempt to flee and maybe survive to come up with a new plan.
    And then Zadkiel throws a stone at the efreet's head - no, through its head.
    Oathbreaker's eyes flicked back up to the strange creature Graitore was still trying to crush to death.
    And his arms both stab upwards this time.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Full-Attack Action vs. the Bull**** Faerie
    Miss Chance (50 or Under = Miss): (1d100)[52]
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[19] -4 Prone, +2 Flanking
    Damage: (1d6+5)[11] Physical plus (1d6)[2] Cold

    - If Miss-
    Umbral Weapon
    Miss Chance (50 or Under = Miss): (1d100)[94]
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[16] -4 Prone, +2 Flanking
    Damage: (1d8+2)[4] Cold

    -Off-Hand-
    Miss Chance (50 or Under = Miss): (1d100)[77]
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[6] -4 Prone, +2 Flanking
    Damage: (1d4+3)[5] Force plus (1d6)[1] Cold

    Burn Damage: (1d6)[3]
    Fort Save: (1d20+6)[26]
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Between the trio's physical assault the pixie cries out once more, barely more than a whimper, and goes limp in Graitore's jaws. The enormous efreeti continued to point menacingly but did not react whatsoever. Khep rushed over to Oathbreaker, soothing his wounds even as his nostrils filled with the subtle smell of grave dirt and then did the same for Graitore. As you took a moment to catch your breath (and for Oathbreaker to smother his flaming clothing), the noxious gas cleared the room rather quickly. Really quickly. Oathbreaker felt and gentle, rhythmic breeze on the exposed patches of his skin. Soon, the others also felt this breeze, that grew steadily stronger. As you puzzled out this new development, you are startled by a sudden and harsh directive. Come here now if you want to live! There was no obvious source for the voice till a moment later a floating glove pointed to the wall. he same spot on the wall where Graitore had noticed the odd, partial footprint.

    Spoiler
    Show
    14 healing to Oathbreaker
    11 healing to Graitore
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Maine/Everywhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Again the pixie stopped struggling and Gratoire braced himself for whatever new attack or trick it may have in store for them. When none came he began to realize that none was coming and that they had fulfilled their duty as Risen Guard.

    Not willing to take any chances, since the pixie was quite a trickster, he delivered one final attack to ensure its death before shifting back to his human form. He stands and rests, with his hands on his knees, panting wordlessly from the stress his transformation takes upon his body. As Khep begins to use his restorative magic, Gratoire nods appreciatively before approaching the menacing illusion and commends Zadkiel for seeing through it as admires the realistic creation.

    As the voice calls out to them he nods to the others, "I believe our quarry beckons us." and approaches his original destination before Olivia had intervened, looking for some form of hidden passageway.

    Spoiler
    Show
    coup de'grace if it matters
    If a perception check is needed (1d20+8)[9]

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    "We better go. If you still need healing, remember I have a wand," Zadkiel announced.

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Oathbreaker sheaths his weapons and rolls on the ground to extinguish the flames just flickering on his body, and then smoothly rolls to his feet.

    Spoiler: Burning Rolls
    Show

    Let's see how long that takes . . .
    1 Round - (1d20+9)[13] (+4 from Prone), (1d6)[6]
    2 Rounds - (1d20+9)[19] (+4 from Prone), (1d6)[6]
    3 Rounds - (1d20+9)[23] (+4 from Prone), (1d6)[6]


    Having already gotten the idea from the Zadkiel, Oathbreaker picks up a small stone and throws it at the spot on the wall near the bloodied footprint, expecting it to reveal that section of wall as an illusion, much like the fake efreet lord.
    Even if it doesn't not and simply clatters back to the ground off of the very solid wall, Oathbreaker still joins the others in approaching, having no desire to stay here until something else was dispatched to rescue the messenger.

    "I could use a bit more healing, actually. That creature nearly killed me."

    Oathbreaker admits, a bit annoyed that his skills had atrophied so far over his long rest that an overgrown fly had nearly managed to finish him.

    (At 12 of 29 HP right now)
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2019-01-20 at 08:38 AM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    "None of us got through this unscathed," Zadkiel mentioned as he retrieved his healing wand, "but I think we should hurry."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Rolling healing in Discord.

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Graitore's foot passed through solid stone at the same time Oathbreaker's stone passed through it unimpeded. On the otherside of the illusion sits an oaken door without a frame set into the actual stone wall. Without effort, the door wings open and a frail hand shoots out and grabs the man and pulls him inside, an event that repeats with each of you as you pass the illusory barrier.

    You find yourself in the foyer of a stately manor, though not in the style commonly seen in Sothis. The extensive woodwork and lavish upholstery would look more at home in Taldor or Cheliax to the north. The door slams shut to reveal a haggard elf in fine silks which are frayed at the ends. His skin is a deep tan, implying that he is not native to the deserts of Garund but from further north. His face was painted in terror and relief, breath heavy. His slight frame held the door shut, as if he expected it to burst open if he did not hold it closed. His eyes darted between the four of you before speaking in a hoarse whisper. Khemett isn't here right?!
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    In answer to the elf's question, Oathbreaker shakes his head. "No, he sent us in his stead to look for you. I presume that you are Conall Reyran?"
    "What has happened here?"

    Conall's head bobbed up and down frantically.
    "Asuulek, that damnable Drake! He attacked my camp! Roasted all of my research and ate my assistants! He's been back every day trying to find me. He's narrowed his search to this chamber and I fear he was getting close when he started warding it with Alarm spells. I watched your encounter, you handled yourselves well against that strange fey. Where did it co-"
    Conall's rant was interrupted by a thunderous roar that shook the door Conall still frantically held shut. What little color that remained in the elf's face drained.

    Asuulek I presume? Gratoire said with distaste. "He'll know your location pretty quickly after the pixie triggered that alarm." He scans the room weighing its defensibility. "I don't suppose you could release those djinn that you have kept enslaved for so long and use them to fight for you" He says with little attempt to mask his distaste of their treatment.

    Conall's feature's twist in confusion, unsure what you refer to for a few moments. He waved a hand dismissively. "No, those stuck up brats wouldn't even scratch Asuulek's hide. Besides of which, I couldn't do it from here."
    He waved his hand over the door and the wood it was comprised off thinned till it was fully transparent, though clearly still physical.
    Through the now transparent door, you could see the illusory wall, also transparent, and just past that...

    A long, serpentine neck covered in shimmering ruby-red scales snakes forward, undulating as the head searches nooks and crannies. Conall whispers I've been here for three weeks, within this temporary demiplane. He knows I haven't left, but he doesn't know where I've holed up. As if on cue, a massive, piercing eye shifts into view, twitching as it studies all the features of the illusory wall covering your hidey-hole. For a few tense moments, it seems the massive beast had found you out but eventually it moves on looking elsewhere within the room. I smell you, Elf! And your friends! An orc bastard, two human scum and a marid's disgrace! You cannot hide from me forever! Just tell me what I want to know and I'll let you live! There's a deep rumbling as the head comes back into view, eyes scanning. With a sadistic mirth, Asuulek adds Promise!
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2019-01-22 at 04:09 PM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    As the group deliberated on their predicament, Asuulek seemed to have given up his search. With a wave of his claw, the illusory Efreeti dissipated. With his other he gingerly picked up the pixie's corpse. I may have missed your friend's, Elf, but you left me an interesting prize instead. With that, the massive dragon's head exited the false wall and disappeared from view.

    After a few more minutes of deliberation, you come up with a plan. You set up a sleep rotation but thankfully it was dull and without event. As you go about your daily preparations, you can't help feel uneasy. Death is no stranger to you, but Conall warns that Asuulek's breath is hot enough to completely annihilate your body.

    With that foreboding thought, Conall went to work casting the myriad of spells in preparation for your hasty escape. He curses as the first spell fails; it seems the sphinx managed to resist the Scrying. Luckily, Conall had prepared the spell twice and was able to cast it again, with more success. He describes the view as he sees it and watches for the full duration. He takes a few minutes afterwards to detail a few possible routes for you to deliberate while he calls upon the Fire Elementals.

    Spoiler
    Show
    There are 4 possible routes, listed in Conall's suggestion order. You can of course order the Elementals to go a different route than yours.
    1) From the demi-plane's exit, hang hard right and go through the false wall. Once you've reached the outside (Conall knows the passage way leads outside, but he's never been past the false wall nor had the Sphinx during his Scrying), circle the mountain to the south face and then race to the bottom. He prefers this route as there's a large Khasmin Storm on the south face part way up which would further mask your escape.
    2) Same as above, except hanging left and retracing your steps through the interior of the volcano before reaching the outside. Conall dislikes this option as whatever creature's that have taken up residence here may prove problematic.
    3) Take a hard right and go straight down the north side. He doesn't like this plan as he expect Asuulek to encounter them either on his approach or predicting their route after discovering the ruse. Basically "Too predictable"
    4) Hard right and straight up to get past the teleportation interference. Conall dislikes this one as its slow and leaves you very vulnerable if discovered.


    It takes some doing, but Conall manages to convince the elementals to do as their told on provision they are allowed to roam the Material Plane. Conall sighs, shuddering while taking a deep steadying breath. He casts a series of protections and soon 10 duplicates of the mage stand in the foyer of the magical mansion. Alright... now or never. Just say the word.

    Spoiler: The Race!
    Show
    This is going to be a bit different than normal. This race will be broken down into 'rounds' but they won't take the standard 6 seconds. Depending on the route you take will determine how long In-Game a given round takes (all paths have rounds that have a different length of time). Once you have chosen a path, I will post again with the track that shows the progression towards your goal. Conversely, Asuulek will have his own (non-linear, branching) track which he must move through in search for you. Since this is mostly abstracted, there won't be a map (but I will clearly map out the round breakdown).

    Most rounds will involve a skill check of some kind to stay on track. Failure means that you (and only you) will fall behind. How much depends on the obstacle and how badly you fail.

    Each round assumes you are making the most efficient method of traversal for the round, be that Running, Flight or otherwise. Doing anything besides moving in this manner will make you fall behind. Falling behind will (usually) result in you not progressing to the next part of the track with your comrades, as well as other possible penalties. Each round, I'll present the obstacle and a number of options to get around the obstacle, but they are not an exhaustive list. Of course, creative solutions are welcome. If there are any questions feel free to ask. I'm experimenting with this.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    "I have prepared an Arcana today which will allow me to accelerate our movements. I will only be able to affect one person with each casting, so it will take time for everyone to gain its benefits. But I should have sufficient Mana to allow me to boost everyone's speed twice before I am completely spent. It may be best to use that spell as an initial boost to the outside, and then the second time once we are further down the mountain, and are at a point where we can take advantage of the enhanced speed. I recommend the first option, while sending the elementals around to the north face."
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    "I too favor the first route, and the speed boost is best used while we know where we're going, I think," Zadkiel suggested.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2019-01-28 at 11:03 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    As you finalize the last details of the plan and cast the last of your preparations are made, Conall's airy superiority starts to wane. So, uh. Do you guys do stuff like this often? His attempt at a joke probably wouldn't have been funny elsewhere anyways. Right... Ok. Lets.... go then. A whimper instead of an inspiring roar, he pushes the door of the magical mansion open. The Elemental-Conall's take their cue and rush out and turn right. You wait a moment as Conall intone's the final spell and the others fade from view. Remember, just stay out of sight. We'll regroup once we're clear of the interference.

    With the last reminder, you each take off sprinting, skidding on the ash-covered floor briefly as you head straight towards a seemingly solid wall. Luckily, you are fearless Risen Guard (and Conall long since disbelieved the illusion) and thus are undeterred! However, what you hadn't prepared for was the sudden drop off mere inches past the the illusion. You find yourselves in free-fall, the rocky crags a few dozen feet below rushing towards you.

    Spoiler: Route 1 Track
    Show
    Round 1! Your free-fallllllllin'! Make a Fly check to stabilize in the air! Or you can make an Acrobatics check to gain proper footing before plunging down and start flying immediately.


    [Escape the cavern!] -> ??? -> ??? -> ??? -> ???


    As the air rushes past your face, you hear a thunderous roar above you. For those who hazard to look, a red dot has suddenly appeared against the early morning sky.
    Spoiler: Asuulek's Track
    Show
    Round 1! Teleport to Sokar's Boil, outside interference on the North Face.


    [Alert!]
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Almost by reflex, as soon as he felt his feet go out from under him and he was plummeting down, Oathbreaker intoned the words.

    "Initiate Arcana: Weight of a Feather!"

    He extended the effect out from him, surrounding his allies in the effect, and slowing all of their falls to a more gentle descent that was no less rapid, but magically cushioned to prevent harm (for the first 60' of falling anyway).
    As soon as his feet touch the ground, Oathbreaker is moving, putting his enhanced speed to work to clear the immediate area and start moving towards whatever direction Conall seemed to be moving in, hopefully towards an exit of some kind.

    (Oathbreaker uses Featherfall as an Immediate action. NEXT!)
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Zadkiel followed Oathbreaker, attempting to keep himself from kicking up dust as he went.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Don't know if I can use Stealth for that but just in case:

    (1d20+13)[16] (not including any bonuses from invisibility or penalties for moving fast)

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Maine/Everywhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Gratoire gives an almost sinister grin at Conall's question, relishing the adrenaline pumping through his body as they finished their preparations to cheat death. "Of course, we are Risen Guard," He responded, as if that was enough to answer the question, "We die all the time." He says, chuckling to himself, as he claps his hand on Conall's shoulder in a show of comraderie. "Ahh I'm just kidding, don't worry. Put your trust in the Pharoah, and he puts his trust in us."

    As it came time to exit Gratoire took a moment to intone Khemet's name. He had no deity that he felt an incling towards to ask for guidance or guardianship. So he would simply look to his duty to guide him.

    "Risen Guard, to arms. To die. To kill. To carry. To arms!" he said evenly and determinedly before rushing out with the group and taking the first turn. He charged headlong through the illusion without hesitation. He was not ready for the sudden fall that followed, tumbling arms forward. He nearly cussed out Connel but stopped himself so as not to make unnecessary noise.

    He feels Oathbreaker's magic take over slowing his fall. He takes the moment to understand his new flight powers. With his bearings finally grasped, Gratoire reached out and grabbed on to the wall, pulling himself into a hunched crouch against the volcano as he continued to slide down. He focused on the strength in his legs and kicked himself off, launching away from the wall and towards the Khasmin storm.
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2019-01-31 at 04:57 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Your descent suddenly slowed, it took little time and effort to right yourselves and guide yourselves to relatively flat ground. Moment's later, you disappear as Conall rejoins you. He mutters a half-baked apology and just as quickly, you're off again. Thanks to Oathbreaker's spell, your movement through the rough terrain is much smoother. As you begin to circle around the western face, you come across a field of loose scree. Moving across it quickly would be dangerous; it be quite easy to lose your footing. It would cause many rocks to tumble down the side of the mountain, giving away your position. You could fly over it, but given its size, the progress could be slow. The only other option is to go back up the mountain or further down to avoid the scree.

    Spoiler: Route 1 Track
    Show
    Round 2! A slippery field of scree (loose rock on a steep slope). To traverse it, you must make a Acrobatics check to keep your footing. Failure by 4 or less means you make slow progress but don't disturb the field too much. Failure by 5 or more means you lose your footing, make no meaningful progress and disturb the scree enough to potentially be noticed. You can move at half-speed (as if Oathbreaker didn't buff your speed) to gain a +5 bonus to this check. You can fly over, with no check, but make only slow progress. Going around the field (in either direction) will cause you to make no progress this round (but has no chance of failure).


    [Escape the cavern!] -> [Navigate the scree field!] -> ??? -> ??? -> ???


    Asuulek unleashed a torrent of flame as his massive wings caught the wind. The massive dragon dove through the air at massive speed, an intercept course with the clumsy, Conall-Elementals making their way straight down the northern face. Even from the great distance you can make out his thunderous decree. You shall burn, elf! I shall pry your secrets from your charred corpse!

    Spoiler: Asuulek's Track
    Show
    Round 2! Rush to meet the totally-the-real-deal group
    [Alert!] -> [Intercept course, locked!]
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Maine/Everywhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Gratoire eyes the loose rock weighing his options. Having no creative solutions spring to mind he went straight forward like he would as a soldier, charging the rocks and using his augmented speed to allow him to pick over them more carefully while still maintaining his regular stride.

    Spoiler
    Show
    acrobatics (1d20+13)[27]

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Zadkiel picked his way over the rocks as fast as he could while still taking care not to fall or cause a slide.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Moving at half speed for the bonus.
    Acrobatics: (1d20+13)[23]

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Oathbreaker attempts to move discretely using his increased speed.

    Spoiler: Acrobatics
    Show

    (1d20+7)[14] +5 from moving slowly but with Expeditious Retreat
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Graitore and Zadkiel flitted across the loose rocks with abandon, scarcely touching the ground and disturbing nothing in their wake. Conall followed them, as did Khep, with aid of the flight spells choosing the slow but safe path. Oathbreaker, however, struggled to keep his footing and forcing him to stop and start frequently to avoid causing rocks to skitter down the steep slope. Soon, the man was left behind by his cohorts and becoming visible once more. Conall urges the others to keep moving; slowing down to help the straggler would likely get you all killed (at least that's his reasoning).

    As you finally cross the scree field, your greeted with a welcoming sight. The mountain slopes downward relatively gently and the massive sandstorm choking the morning light is visible on the horizon. It should be a mostly straight shot from here. As the group moves forward, picking up pace without having to watch their footing that carefully, they start making headway, with Oathbreaker a half-dozen strides behind, the sounds of Asuulek's chase slowly become drowned out by the growing rumbling of the storm in the distance. This, unfortunately, masked the rubmling of a number of fumaroles who had decided now was the time to empty their bowels of noxious vapors.
    Spoiler: Route 1 Track
    Show
    Round 3! Fuming Fumaroles! Everyone must make a Reflex (DC 16) and Fort (DC 18) save to avoid taking (10d6)[32] Fire damage and avoid Nauseated condition. Success halves the damage and reduces the condition to Sickened, respectively. Oathbreaker gets a +2 bonus for seeing it coming.

    Anyone who fails either save must make an additional Reflex save to keep themselves upright and heading in the right direction. Failure indicates you fall behind (with Oathbreaker). If you fail both, you must make 2 saves. If you fail both initial and secondary saves, you make no progress this turn as the fumaroles blast and disorient you.


    [Escape the cavern!] -> [Navigate the scree field!] -> [Fuming Fumaroles!] -> ??? -> ???


    Off in the distance, you can just make out a roar of frustration and a string of draconic curses lifting through the winds.

    Spoiler: Asuulek's Track
    Show
    Round 3!
    [Alert!] -> [Intercept course, locked!] -> [Realize you've been played, cry a little]
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Oathbreaker lowers his head and pushes forward, struggling to catch back up with the group.

    Spoiler: Saves
    Show

    Fort: (1d20+7)[15] (+2 bonus for seeing it coming)
    Reflex: (1d20+7)[10]


    Failure of 1 of the Above Saves - Reflex: (1d20+7)[27]
    Failure of Both Above Saves - Reflex: (1d20+7)[10]
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Maine/Everywhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Gratoire looked back for just a moment as Oathbreaker stumbled through the screen, wishing he could assist him. But he knew his duty, just as Oathbreaker knew his, if their positive were swapped he knew he wouldn't want anyone to come back for him either.

    He pushed forward, reighning in his full speed to avoid outpacing Conall and his protective invisibility glamor. Despite his attempt to be aware of everything going on around him, he was initiated for the sudden blast of gas that erupted. To the best of his ability he tried to launch himself to the side, tucking into a roll to avoid the brunt of the volcanoes fury.

    Spoiler
    Show
    okay here goes nothing
    Reflex (1d20+4)[21]
    Fort (1d20+6)[12]

    If 1 fail: reflex (1d20+4)[7]
    If 2 fail: reflex (1d20+4)[6]

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Zadkiel looked back for Oathbreaker with dismay, but knew that waiting for him was futile. They all knew the mission came first.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Reflex: (1d20+6)[23]
    Fortitude: (1d20+5)[21]

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    The blast of super heated noxious gas buffeted the group, causing Khep, Graitore and Oathbreaker to stumble and careen out of control due to a mixture of the explosive force and the noxious gas disorienting the three. Khep suffered the worse, making it only a few feet beyond the treacherous vent to be quickly passed by Oathbreaker. Despite this, the man out of time stumbled and fell even further behind the group. Only Zadkiel and Conall managed to pass the fumarole unscathed.

    As you recover from your ordeal your limbs feel heavy, as Oathbreaker's spell ceases to function. According to Conall, his protective spells should last much longer, thankfully. As your pace quickens once more, the group stretched out in a rough line. Zadkiel can start to feel the stinging sand as he starts to enter the storm proper and Conall lets out a exalted laugh. While you haven't cleared the volcano's base yet, the storm is a welcome sight. It'll mask your presence even further and it also signals you are close to your goal.

    But before anyone else can celebrate, the roaring sandstorm is drowned out by a sudden, thunderous crash. Then another. And soon a cacophony of sounds filling your hearing. Those who hazard a backwards glance spot a red figure near the volcano's apex. And leading up to it a dustcloud headed by a cascade of massive boulders. Asuulek taunts you but his words fail to penetrate the din created by the avalanche.
    Spoiler: Route 1 Track
    Show
    Round 4! To be clear; Oathbreaker is behind by 2, Graitore by 1. When you fall behind by 3, you do not make progress that turn (representing the sum of time lost falling behind). Point of order, Khep made no progress as he got terrible rolls.

    Avalanche! At the moment, the avalanche has yet to reach your general position. You have 3 options.
    1) Dead sprint forward, staying in the direct path. This will have the fast chance you'll clear the interference before the avalanche is upon you.
    2) Move to the left or right, out of the direct path. This will be the slowest chance to clear the interference, but has the highest chance of avoiding the avalanche entirely
    3) Take some preparatory action before the avalanche arrives. What this does depends on what you do; ask me whatever questions you like.

    If you take option 1), make an Initiative check. If you pass, you manage to get out of the path of the avalanche by outrunning it. If you fail but by 5 or less, you don't clear the avalanche zone but are only in the spread zone (IE; less damage, less chance to be buried). Failure by 5 or more means the avalanche catches you in the bury zone (more damage, more chance to be buried).

    If you take option 2) also make an Initiative check. Just like option 1), passing means you clear the avalanche zone. Failure by 10 or less means you are only in the spread zone and failure by more than 10 means the avalanche catches you.

    [Escape the cavern!] -> [Navigate the scree field!] -> [Fuming Fumaroles!] -> [Avalanche!]-> ???



    Spoiler: Asuulek's Track
    Show
    Round 3!
    [Alert!] -> [Intercept course, locked!] -> [Realize you've been played, cry a little] -> [Rocks fall...]
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Maine/Everywhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

    Asuulek was in to them. Gratoire only goes that their ruse had been successful for long enough to give them the head start that they needed to make it. The time for tricks had now passed, now he had to push his body to the limit in order to survive. He increased his pace to go as fast as he could, his arms pumping furiously to give extra power and throw him further forward with each step. He wasted no time in alternative routes, choosing to make full use of the open field ahead of him.

    Spoiler
    Show
    initiative (1d20+2)[8]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •