New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Online Dungeon Map Maker?

I'm running a DnD game with the final dungeon being a large elaborate castle (5 floors and 5 towers plus dungeons) and I am utterly terrible at drawing maps, is there a good free online mapmaking programnd allows me to easily create a castle map online, like Castle Ravenloft. It doesn't need to be a print out, its more for me as the DM to have a mental map of the building for running the game. Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Online Dungeon Map Maker?

Dungeonographer might work for you. It's fairly easy to use, especially for a "structure" where I assume the rooms and halls will be polygons. It has a free version that should give you enough to work with. It doesn't save online but you can easily export your maps as PDF or PNG files and upload them to cloud storage or just save the images on your device. There's a little bit of a learning curve for making attractive maps but if you just want it for self use, just slapping squares, rectangles and circles together can be done in moments.

For free, it's worth checking out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Mipui makes some nice maps (within the range of what it can do), but it can be a bit slow to load bigger maps.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps you should clarify what you mean by being bad at drawing maps. If you mean that your artistic capabilities make anything you draw by hand incomprehensible (I fall into this category), even to yourself. Then yes, a map making application is in order. And others have suggested some good ones.

If, however, you mean that you are struggling to construct a cohesive, logical and entertaining dungeon of the scale you wish, then I recommend learning about castles; their purpose and their layout (in the historical sense). And draw inspirations from other mediums. (An example, I once designed a room based on Sen's Fortress from Dark Souls, if you're familiar with the series).

For information about castles, I find that Shadiversity on youtube is a good starting point for a castle neophyte, if you're not already aware of him. And is probably the most accessible.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamilarRaven View Post
    Perhaps you should clarify what you mean by being bad at drawing maps. If you mean that your artistic capabilities make anything you draw by hand incomprehensible (I fall into this category), even to yourself. Then yes, a map making application is in order. And others have suggested some good ones.

If, however, you mean that you are struggling to construct a cohesive, logical and entertaining dungeon of the scale you wish, then I recommend learning about castles; their purpose and their layout (in the historical sense). And draw inspirations from other mediums. (An example, I once designed a room based on Sen's Fortress from Dark Souls, if you're familiar with the series).

For information about castles, I find that Shadiversity on youtube is a good starting point for a castle neophyte, if you're not already aware of him. And is probably the most accessible.

No the former, I'm a historian so I know how castles work, its making them comprehensible that is the problem, I have the outline just making it work in reality is the problem. Shadiversity is a lot of fun i agree

6. - Top - End - #6

Clarification: I looked at a few programs mentioned (and thank you) but do you think there are any that are a little more user friendly? I was imagining something in the realm of dragging rooms unto a map type thing, but maybe that exists just in my head.
    Thanks so much

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I recently used Dungeonfog, it worked great, did leave watermarks in each square, but eh, I can live with that.
    I'll top the bill, I'll earn the kill, I have to find the will to carry on, with the show, with the show.

(thanks Prime for awesum avatar, and thank you to all of the original BleachItP cast, it was great RP'ing with you)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mapforge uses tiles but I found it faster to just draw my rooms in Dungeonographer than to paw through tiles trying to find the right ones in Mapforge. You might want to try it though.

www.mapforge-software.com/overview

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

A couple links I've got saved for potential mapmaking:

http://deepnight.net/tools/tabletop-rpg-map-editor/
    http://pyromancers.com/dungeon-painter-online/

They're not quite dragging-rooms-onto-a-map, but they're useful to put together rooms pretty quickly.
    My 5e Monster Repository (a modest collection)
    5e Quick, ad-hoc task DCs — Simple: 8 | Normal: 13 | Challenging: 18 | Formidable: 23
    5e Quick, ad-hoc monsters — AC: 12 + level/2 | HP: 10 × level | To-Hit: 2 + level/2 | DPR: 4 × level
    1 monster v. 1 PC; for 4 v. 1 Solos — +2 to AC & To-Hit | HP: 25 × level | DPR: 10 × level
    5e Quick, ad-hoc monster treasure — CR2 × tier gp