New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Worst REAL house rules you've used

Quote Originally Posted by hotflungwok View Post
    I've seen enough stupidly arbitrary XP awards that I tend to shy away from it. I played with one guy (briefly) who would award a female player at the table whenever she jiggled. The weird part about this was that this woman was not his wife, who was also at the table, and didn't have high enough "stats" to perform that "maneuver".
    Yeah, Knaight is right here. In a system with milestone levelling it would have just been a level every X jiggles.

Plus maybe he had an agreement with his wife? I've seen it happen.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Yeah, Knaight is right here. In a system with milestone levelling it would have just been a level every X jiggles.

Plus maybe he had an agreement with his wife? I've seen it happen.
    Kind of, and I don't think so. First, the XP rewards were always small, 50 or 100 or so (we were L10ish), and he occasionally just told us to level whenever he felt like, so they didn't really matter a lot. I doubt he would have just handed her a level. Second, it was kind of obvious that his wife didn't like it.

But the guy had more mental problems than I could count, calling him a creeper is an insult to wholesome normal creepers everywhere. Belittling his wife was just one nut in the whole scary fruitcake.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Now you're not even arguing against anything I said [..]
    Maybe that's because I wasn't. If you look a bit more closely, you could see I quoted and responded to someone else.

Leave me out of it.
    I wasn't even including you? You're the one trying to make my post revolve around you, not I.
    Last edited by Maelynn; 2018-10-01 at 02:40 PM.
    Just remember... if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hotflungwok View Post
    But the guy had more mental problems than I could count, calling him a creeper is an insult to wholesome normal creepers everywhere. Belittling his wife was just one nut in the whole scary fruitcake.
    Yeesh. Any stories that are entertaining, instead of skin-crawling or just sad?

As for me... Well, there was the time a DM offered to raise my character a level if I helped him move... in a game that never got off the ground. I helped him anyway.

Not a rule, but an entire system: A gamer I know wanted to run Feng Shui, in the GURPS system. Anyone who knows both systems is probably laughing incredulously right now.
    Same guy also ran a GURPS Mage: the Ascension game where using magic had a small risk of rupturing the universe. So the players used magic unrestrainedly - one way or another, it made sure their problems would be over.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a campaign at a local gaming shop which had the worst kind of houserules...the kind that were never written down, and ruled differently at different times. It doesn't help that the houserules which the DM did keep track of seem tailor-made to screw the players over (for instance, nerfing one player's attempts at doing things with Bigsby's Hand by saying spell effects can't go beyond the range), and his bad habit of being irritatingly inconsistent with his descriptions (one example from just before I left the campaign was what the DM described as the only path the enemy could have taken, which the entire table thought was a dirt road or something...but when a couple flying PCs sent out to scout flew 60 feet away and had to roll Perception to find it again, we learned that it was apparently a game trail. The only game trail in the area. With a bridge later, though that's just because the DM's map had a bridge on it.)
    I'm glad that the group also runs games elsewhere. Most of them are fun to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    (And of course, like every 'make combat more dangerous/realistic' rule, it cripples fighters without inconveniencing casters at all.)
    Naturally. Since casters never existed, it's realistic for them to not suffer any serious drawbacks. They didn't in reality, after all!
    (More seriously...there's an ounce of truth in that joke. We know how to screw over martials because our societies have been finding new and better ways to do that for centuries, but we don't know crap about magicians. Any restrictions we put on them are going to seem way more arbitrary than detailed injury rules, because everything about magic rules has to be arbitrary.)

Quote Originally Posted by MoiMagnus View Post
    The best house rule my DMs have ever put: delete the XP system from all their campaigns. (Replaced by synchronized level up according to plot)
    Same. I have literally never played in a campaign that tracked XP.

This is a stupid answer, because these rewards are of different order. XP is an in-game reward that exists to encourage specific in-game actions, where as "getting to play a game" because it's "fun" is an out-of-game reward which can only exists against a backdrop of no or less "fun" .

They only meet at the middle when the quality and quantity of in-game rewards start influencing how "fun" a player finds your game. Which is hardly unimportant: imagine playing soccer without rules for scoring goals, or tetris without a score counter.
    There's a big problem with that comparison. Soccer is a game played between two teams, who score points. Tetris's points are essentially a way for a player to play against his past self, everyone else at the arcade, or what-have-you. Experience points...are not that, because it's not a friggin' competition! If your players' primary motivation is a competition to outdo each other, you're probably doing something wrong.

So? That doesn't make what I said any less true. I could just as well say "games that are poorly designed are extremely common", that's how much of a red herring your statement is.
    Unless you're trying to say that games without scoring systems are badly-designed, I don't see how it's a red herring at all.

The worst houserule I ever saw was free aims with all ranged attacks. Simply putting a scope on your gun mean you hit 98% of the time, and that was only because the system had automatic misses on 17s and 18s (it was a 3d6 roll under system). The end result was hitting was effectively based entirely on the opponent's Dodge skill, but because we compared Margin of Success (another houserule that was okay without the auto aiming) and Dodge tended to be lower than effective Attack values by ten or more attacks missed maybe three or four percent of the time.

Worked much better when we were forced to use our unscopped sidearms, and so we spent most of the campaign leaving the rifles at home, but whenever we or the GM managed to justify pulling them out combats went from tense to hilarious (near perfect hit rates, 4d6 damage for a rifle, an average HP value of ten, and my character was the only person in the entire game to wear armour, the results are obvious).
    Ah, GURPS.
    Rifles can be powerful even if the DM read the aiming rules. Especially if one of your players thinks far enough ahead to find a good sniping position...

I had a DM running Rise of the Runelords who didn't notice that Malfeshnekor was supposed to be magically bound in his little closet, or the bits which described how he'd try to lure PCs into there to be torn apart. So when we opened the wrong door, a fiend several CRs higher than the party level came running out. (Also, sometimes he had an axe and sometimes he didn't. That's still a source of jokes.)
    One member of the group had a nice, heroic moment of trying to hold off the monster while his friends escaped...and then the barbarian joined in because he thought it looked fun. And then the gunslinger joined in because the boss had shattered his rifle. Another thing we joked about (mostly at the third player's expense).
    When I took over the campaign, I threw together a quick mini-adventure to get used to running the system, and had Malfeshnekor return, stronger than ever. Turns out, not strong enough to survive the action-economical power of five adventurers.

Same guy also ran a GURPS Mage: the Ascension game where using magic had a small risk of rupturing the universe. So the players used magic unrestrainedly - one way or another, it made sure their problems would be over.
    Reminds me of a forum game I ran with a simple homebrew system where rolling badly enough could result in regional disasters a la Frozen.
    ...It didn't last to the first adventure hook.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Reminds me of a forum game I ran with a simple homebrew system where rolling badly enough could result in regional disasters a la Frozen.
    ...It didn't last to the first adventure hook.
    I don't even get rules like this. Do people want their games to end randomly? I know, it can happen in normal games too (I'm sure many of us have stories of accidental TPK), but it's to a far lesser degree. Adding in "and the campaign ends before it begins" rules just seems arbitrary. Then again, I guess you could die in character creation in some older RPGs. Maybe it's just trying to harken back to the Good Ol' DaysTM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I don't even get rules like this. Do people want their games to end randomly? I know, it can happen in normal games too (I'm sure many of us have stories of accidental TPK), but it's to a far lesser degree. Adding in "and the campaign ends before it begins" rules just seems arbitrary. Then again, I guess you could die in character creation in some older RPGs. Maybe it's just trying to harken back to the Good Ol' DaysTM
    I've played a French caricature of role playing games ("Le Donjon de Naheulbeuk", only in French unfortunately) that had some of those (one high level time manipulation spell had "if you triple fumble, then the universe disappear and become a giant blue cube") and a lot of similar stuff.
    Those stuff only works because that's a caricature.

And to answer the question, a lot of peoples want the feeling of "the game could end randomly at any moment", and would even enjoy the moment where it happens (a misfortune is always a great story to talk about).
    That does not mean they will enjoy the fact that the campaign has to end due to a misfortune. But we (humans) are not rational, so we may try to have something even if we don't want its consequences.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

"Real weapons and armor require regular maintenance, and that's part of why basically ever class has the Craft skill available. So every time you attack, or get attacked, your weapon and armor degrades a tiny bit. If you aren't investing in those skills, taking some time out of your shopping to seek out a blacksmith, or carry backup weapons/armor for when these break, eventually they're gonna break and you're gonna be out of options."

Cool cool, so what I'm hearing is 'play VoP druid', got it.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "Real weapons and armor require regular maintenance, and that's part of why basically ever class has the Craft skill available. So every time you attack, or get attacked, your weapon and armor degrades a tiny bit. If you aren't investing in those skills, taking some time out of your shopping to seek out a blacksmith, or carry backup weapons/armor for when these break, eventually they're gonna break and you're gonna be out of options."

or as a normal person play a wizard without armor(you can still wear the classical dagger or staff since you use them so rarely they are only going to break from rust which can take a long time).

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post

Yeah, part of what I do is assume that most characters know how to care for their weapons, you'll want a backup for the less than one in four hundred chance that you'll have it break or bend to uselessness (critical hit on attack, critical failure on your party), but I also run adventures where being able to get a new blade before the next combat is fairly easy. So players don't have to worry about wear and tear, but there's still a chance that nonmagical stuff could break.

Then again, I also like to run systems where magic isn't really a viable alternative to weapons. Stuff like The Dark Eye or Unknown Armies. In the former magic is expensive and not better than a sword, in the latter magic is difficult to charge up (bar dipsomancers, which one of my players is using) and not any better than a gun. Breaking weapons here is more of an uncertainty than a massive nerf because brutes are some of the more powerful builds (along with nonmagical faces).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Floret View Post
    If gaming to you, at any point, becomes hard work, you should probably just stop.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing it well.
    Doing something well requires frequent effort and input, and yes, that is work. That is the cost of being at least adequate and content with what you are doing. At the end of the day, I want to be satisfied with what I have done and the overall result, and I will still ask how it could have been better.

That counts for all aspects of life, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    The very term "forced equalization" includes an assumption that individual XP is how it is done by default, and that anything else is a change. As for how I explain it, the reward for playing a game is getting to play a game. I don't need to bribe my players with XP to play, because my games are fun.
    Of course Individual XP is the default way of handling this affair, because it is the only solution that is actually fair, and therefore appropriate. As any gamemaster who refuses to acknolwedge each player individually inevitably acts as a jerk to his players, deliberately or not, one should clearly hope that the solution that's actually respectful to the players and their efforts and achievements is supposed to be the default.

The thing about Sisyphus is that rolling a rock up a hill sucks, and he has to roll the rock up the hill. Those two are essential components, and the whole tale doesn't work well at all if he could just choose not to roll the rock up the hill and do something else instead, and also instead of rolling the rock up a hill it was something fun.
    The whole tale only becomes relevant by making it reative to oneself, which requires permutations, as Camus' idea of Sysiphos as a happy man (a recommendable perspective, at least for Sysiphos himself), or the concept of the plotting prisoner, slowly preparing a weapon for the time to rise up against a cruel fate.
    Play the world, not the rules. Numbers don't add up to a game - ideas do.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    or as a normal person play a wizard without armor(you can still wear the classical dagger or staff since you use them so rarely they are only going to break from rust which can take a long time).
    When I was young and foolish (and a basic/expert D&D DM), I had the party wizard's grimoire destroyed on a fumble. The player was NOT amused. Especially when he also lost an arm (hobgoblin scoring a critical) and a leg (acid lake) in the next fight.

So yeah, "fumbles, hard crits and targeted damage are awesome in Runequest, let's introduce them in D&D" may be a classical houserule-gone-wrong

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jester View Post
    Of course Individual XP is the default way of handling this affair,
    It's been a long time since I played D&D (I'm more a FATE player nowadays), but aren't party XP the default mode in modern D&D games? Because if so, claiming individual XP is the norm might be a little excessive.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    It's been a long time since I played D&D (I'm more a FATE player nowadays), but aren't party XP the default mode in modern D&D games? Because if so, claiming individual XP is the norm might be a little excessive.
    That's not even the argument being made at this point. Instead it's been reduced to "I'm right, therefore I'm right".
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    In my case, it wasn't supposed to end the campaign. If it had happened at some point when the PCs were at least in enemy territory, it wouldn't have posed any serious problem beyond the mission at hand. I just assumed the PCs would recognize it as a "Don't mess around with magic when mundane solutions would work just as well," and that I'd made the horrible misfires unlikely enough to not come up that often.
    But they kind of caused a local apocalypse at home base. That sure made an a out of u and me.
    (I never understood that saying; how does assuming make an a out of the guy who was assumed?)

Doing something well requires frequent effort and input, and yes, that is work. That is the cost of being at least adequate and content with what you are doing. At the end of the day, I want to be satisfied with what I have done and the overall result, and I will still ask how it could have been better.

No argument there...except that you should avoid sunk-cost fallacying. Keep in mind the costs and benefits of doing something as well as you can; sometimes, it's better overall to do something just okay if the benefits aren't high enough to justify the cost. (It's admittedly a lesson I sometimes still need to learn...)

Of course Individual XP is the default way of handling this affair, because it is the only solution that is actually fair, and therefore appropriate. As any gamemaster who refuses to acknolwedge each player individually inevitably acts as a jerk to his players, deliberately or not, one should clearly hope that the solution that's actually respectful to the players and their efforts and achievements is supposed to be the default.
    Let's ignore the assertion of default-ness, which is somewhat hard to justify when the majority of people talking about it don't seem to use that system.
    Jerkiness is in the eyes of the jerked-upon, and some people don't see XP being given equally as jerky behavior (especially if it's been established as ). After all, a TRPG isn't a competition; if everyone's at the same level, everyone can contribute equally, and it doesn't make sense to punish the people contributing less by making them less able to contribute.
    Besides, how bad does a player need to do for them to deserve an XP penalty (relative to the party)? Are they're being penalized for not roleplaying "well enough," and if so what are your provisions for times when it would be out-of-character to speak out? Or are they being penalized for not contributing to overcoming challenges enough, in which case how do you determine that?

And if we're talking about jerk behavior...look at the concrete examples in this thread of people who played with such rules and were screwed over for one reason or another. Now look at how all you have is an assertion that if everyone gets equal XP, the ones who did "more" would feel "cheated" out of XP.
    It's almost as if people don't think twice about how fairly something is distributed when it's clearly marked as not being a carrot or stick for specific player behavior, but for group accomplishments. Hm, I wonder if making such a valuable resource dependent on team success rather than individual accomplishment could also encourage players to focus on working together as a team over trying to take the spotlight?
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sure, but the moment something that's supposed to be fun feels like a chore and/or a second job, it has failed imo.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

17. - Top - End - #77

That's not even the argument being made at this point. Instead it's been reduced to "I'm right, therefore I'm right".
    Well, yeah, but if I had to respond to the holier-than-thou and one-true-wayism dripping from that post, I might end up saying stuff I would regret later. So instead, I chose to cling to what looked like a factually ridiculous allegation.

And I'm not even a D&D fan, he? I dislike this game, and often play with systems with individual XP (I'm not a fan of those either, though. When you give a cookie to a player, you make him a target of envy. When you give a cookie to the group because of that player, you make him a hero, which I find better for both the ego and the overall group dynamics).

But when you talk about the "default" in RPG, it's kinda difficult to ignore the 300 tons Dragon in the room ^^
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2018-10-02 at 09:39 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Huh, I didn't know there was so much opposition to fumble rules. I tend to enjoy them myself, though I use a deck of critical fumbles to make them varied. Also use the 'confirm fumble' rule rather than a 1 being an instant fumble.
    Also use the 'hero point' house rule to make re-rolling bad fumbles possible. Maybe that's why they're not as painful as they might be otherwise?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Huh, I didn't know there was so much opposition to fumble rules. I tend to enjoy them myself, though I use a deck of critical fumbles to make them varied. Also use the 'confirm fumble' rule rather than a 1 being an instant fumble.
    I had a game of 5e D&D that used PF crit cards (both fumbles and hits). That sucked.

1) The results of the cards required ad lib translations between the very different mechanics of the systems.
    2) The effects were debilitating on both sides, but worse against players.
    3) since no confirmation of crits happens in 5e, crits happened way more frequently (especially against players).
    4) drawing and translating slowed things down to a crawl. Especially when there's on set of cards for 3 tables...
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Unfortunately no. Pretty much any story I can tell about him would inspire justly deserved mobs complete with pitchforks and torches.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Can I put in a vote for 'learning by use' systems, where you have to use a skill to increase it at the end of the session and which tend to ignore XP entirely? In really liking it in UA3, because with the split between Abilities and Identities it doesn't result in cookie cutter characters (so only somebody with a combat related identity well get better at combat through the system).

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Also use the 'hero point' house rule to make re-rolling bad fumbles possible. Maybe that's why they're not as painful as they might be otherwise?
    Fumbles only really work when the system is designed around it. D&D is terrible about it, but they work well enough in GURPS, DSA, Eclipse Phase, Unknown Armies, BRP, and others where they're in there from the start instead of being tacked on.

Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Your attention will most likely focus on the player (or sometimes players) who demand it the most, because they are louder, more extrovert or require more attention to play their characters. Individual XP rewards are the only reliable way to mitigate the effects of this attention economy, by specifically addressing and rewarding the less loud players.
    I'm not sure I understand...If the GM inevitably pays more attention to those who are more demanding of it, how does letting the more demanding players increase their XP gain relative to more quiet ones solve the issue? I understand the idea that a quieter player can be awarded for the smaller number of actions they take, but doesn't the louder one, by virtue of being able to take more actions, have a far higher likelihood of taking more XP-granting actions per session? I don't see how it works, unless you throttle the XP gain of a particularly dominant player (which seems to go against the entire philosophy of individual XP gain).

Not directly related, but - what happens when, over an extended period, a "bad" player (one who doesn't earn much XP) inevitably falls further and further behind their party? If the quiet player who mostly enjoys doing things with others doesn't do much on their own, they won't earn much XP relative to the others, and become significantly weaker than the others.

How do you reward things that don't quite fit, IC? Things like "the one playing the illiterate warrior loves puzzles, and solves the word-puzzle easily, while the one playing the well-read scholar hates and is bad at them"? Does the XP go to the warrior, who would probably do nothing helpful IC, or to the wizard, who hasn't helped OOC?

More system-specific, doesn't this also risk rewarding players with stronger characters? If the character who can only fight is heavily limited in individual action, but another has a large array of abilities they can use to enable solo work, the latter could easily end up with far more bonus XP, thereby increasing the power gap in a potentially problematic way.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Can I put in a vote for 'learning by use' systems, where you have to use a skill to increase it at the end of the session and which tend to ignore XP entirely?
    That sort of thing works better in video games than TRPGs. Same with any other rule that adds significant bookkeeping to the game; they can be interesting and add meaningful depth to the game, but only if you don't get sick of it and start ignoring the rule two sessions in.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

That sort of thing works better in video games than TRPGs. Same with any other rule that adds significant bookkeeping to the game; they can be interesting and add meaningful depth to the game, but only if you don't get sick of it and start ignoring the rule two sessions in.
    Eh. The book keeping usually works out pretty simply if the character sheet is well designed. It's an occasional tick mark.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Individual XP is only fair if player's efforts and achievements can be accurately quantified. How would you decide how much XP to award for a player who successfully negotiated a peace treaty between elves and orcs, versus a player who stopped a king from drinking poisoned wine at the last second? I cannot think of a comprehensive and fair set of criteria.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Can we please move this discussion about individual XP to another thread so that this one can get back on topic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

The problem with individual XP awards is that there is no standard for it. If you give out what you think of as fair awards, even if they really are fair someone else might not think so. Maybe they're used to something different, maybe they just have a different idea of what should or should not deserve an award, they think they're not being treated fairly. This doesn't mean what you're doing is unfair, it means that this kind of thing is arbitrary by it's nature, and everyone is going to have a different idea on what constitutes fair individual awards.

It's way too easy to make a mistake with it, and have someone feeling put out. The benefits don't outweigh the possible problems associated with this system.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

It depends on how deep you go. I'm using Unknown Armies 3e, where if you fail at a roll with an Identity (or succeed at one for Avatar Identities) you gain 1d5 percentiles in the Identity at the end of the session. Like Basic Role Playing, but the advancement is automatic and it's only for Identities, not Abilities.

All you need to do is make a mark by the Identity when you fail and roll 1d5 at the end of the session. Not hard.

Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

It depends on how deep you go. I'm using Unknown Armies 3e, where if you fail at a roll with an Identity (or succeed at one for Avatar Identities) you gain 1d5 percentiles in the Identity at the end of the session. Like Basic Role Playing, but the advancement is automatic and it's only for Identities, not Abilities.

All you need to do is make a mark by the Identity when you fail and roll 1d5 at the end of the session. Not hard.
    For one skill, yes. How many skills do you fail in a typical session?
    And as you said, that's a pretty simple example. Video games let you get more of the quasi-realistic complexity which those systems try to evoke, and let it be tuned more finely, with even less player effort.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

For one skill, yes. How many skills do you fail in a typical session?
    And as you said, that's a pretty simple example. Video games let you get more of the quasi-realistic complexity which those systems try to evoke, and let it be tuned more finely, with even less player effort.
    With characters having two to four Identities you'll have to check them every time you fail to see if they've been marked, unless you have a decent memory. BRP has a lot more problems with it's multitude of skills and 'no more than ten checks a session' rule.

Also, why do I care about it being quasi-realistic? I want simple, and for a variety of reasons (including playing online) I don't want to be messing around with XP.

Show