New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Worst REAL house rules you've used

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    A recent DM let me try to shoot between an ally's legs (My character was a forest gnome who was down on one knee, the other character was Medium and standing). I rolled an 11 and so missed my target, but apparently in those circumstances missing at all was a fumble. Admittedly, I shouldn't have tried it anyway since its not really rules legal, but I figured it looked cool and the DM allowed it. Anyways, that's how I nearly killed the party Ranger in out first combat.
    I had a DM in 2nd ed rule that anytime the ranger rolled a 1 with his bow he hit one of us if we were in front of him. We didn't even have to be next to his target, just in his front 90 degrees. Since my character was the main fighter I took lots of damage from him. Once he was able to milk poison from a dead monster, and started poisoning his arrows. The first time my character got poisoned by him (like 20 min later IIRC) I took it off of him and smashed the vial on the ground.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miz_Liz View Post
    Also from the same DM: warlock patron rules. You could legit lose all access to your powers if you pissed off your patron. I was an archfey warlock with a treant patron, burned up some bushes, and lost my powers for three days.
    Oooh, I got one!

In D&D 3, I once perpetrated ruled that divine spellcasters had to get access to their "patron's" domain to renew their spells. So a Druid had to meditate in a natural place, a paladin prayed holding his sword, etc...

I had Story Reasons (tm) for it, too, but yup, it went about as well as you can expect. The Sun god cleric was hosed HARD when the party got trapped in the underdark for several weeks. Killed the campaign faster than a marauding tarrasque.

3. - Top - End - #183

It wasn't really malicious, but I found it annoying since if I allowed in one of my games, I would have treated it as a normal miss.
    Discovering the stakes of a roll AFTER the roll is a common DM mistake, but it's kinda irritating. In your case, ruling that a failed roll hits your friend might be a fair/fun ruling, but only if the DM makes it known, so that the gnome can make an informed choice and decide if he's willing to take the risk.
    Announcing it after the fact is something I may have done when I was younger (hell, I did far worse, see my previous post), but nowadays, I find this kind of "gotcha!" GMing irritating.
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2018-10-29 at 10:58 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

I kind of liekt he critical Fumble Rules that Chris Zito uses at TFS at the Table.

Natural One and he roles a d20 and then a d% to determine how big a fumble it is, with the higher the results equally a less severe fumble

He also apl;ies it equally to PCs and NPCs--most notbaly the Downfall of "Johnny Dark Souls," a Vampire Paladin who wielded a giant cross he was nailed to as a club(and it was on fire due to a PC missing with a scorching ray while fighting another vampire), fought in the hold of a ship in the middle of the ocean.

The rogue throws ball bearings, GM rolls a nat 1 to avoid tripping, a Nat one on the second d20, nat one on the percentile.. trips, falls, throws the giant cross into the air, which lands on bhim, breaks the floorboards, causing him to fall through the ship into the ocean, where his full plate mail makes him sink.

Meanwhile the worst that's happened to the PCs with a fumble is a Crossbow getting jammed while an exploding bolt was in the thing and already lit, causing some mild fire damage to the PC and an nearby ally.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #185

That's a big thing-it's gotta get applied equally to even have a chance of being fun.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That's a big thing-it's gotta get applied equally to even have a chance of being fun.
    And, if it can cause permanent injury, it's got to have clearly been applied to the NPCs in the past, for the worldbuilding to be sensical. In the land of the blind warriors, the one-eyed peasant is king!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I kind of liekt he critical Fumble Rules that Chris Zito uses at TFS at the Table.

Natural One and he roles a d20 and then a d% to determine how big a fumble it is, with the higher the results equally a less severe fumble

He also apl;ies it equally to PCs and NPCs--most notbaly the Downfall of "Johnny Dark Souls," a Vampire Paladin who wielded a giant cross he was nailed to as a club(and it was on fire due to a PC missing with a scorching ray while fighting another vampire), fought in the hold of a ship in the middle of the ocean.

The rogue throws ball bearings, GM rolls a nat 1 to avoid tripping, a Nat one on the second d20, nat one on the percentile.. trips, falls, throws the giant cross into the air, which lands on bhim, breaks the floorboards, causing him to fall through the ship into the ocean, where his full plate mail makes him sink.

Meanwhile the worst that's happened to the PCs with a fumble is a Crossbow getting jammed while an exploding bolt was in the thing and already lit, causing some mild fire damage to the PC and an nearby ally.
    Honestly, I like TFS at the Table, but Zito's fumble rules always come off as emanating from the south side of a bull. Like, he has a somewhat consistent ruling base (low on the % is bad), but I'm pretty sure all his fumbles are made up on the spot. Which is the problem with fumble rules in most games: you can't account for what the PCs/NPCs might mess up with a bad roll. If you roll a 1 on a check to keep your balance walking on a rope, do you just fall? Do you also somehow cut the rope? Does it impact your chance to avoid damage when you hit the ground and if so is that impacted by height? What if you're only a foot out on the rope, can you fall backwards onto a stable platform?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hotflungwok View Post
    I had a DM in 2nd ed rule that anytime the ranger rolled a 1 with his bow he hit one of us if we were in front of him. We didn't even have to be next to his target, just in his front 90 degrees. Since my character was the main fighter I took lots of damage from him. Once he was able to milk poison from a dead monster, and started poisoning his arrows. The first time my character got poisoned by him (like 20 min later IIRC) I took it off of him and smashed the vial on the ground.
    I had a GM who did the same thing! Meanwhile, anyone who played an elf got all sorts of freebies. Because it doesn't make sense that a long lived elf can't X, where X is anything from playing a prohibited class to breaking level restrictions.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    Killed the campaign faster than a marauding tarrasque.
    Homebrewed Tarrasque I assume, or did it stop the campaign for a single combat round?

Yep, and has to not be too damaging because it'll tend to hit the PCs harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    And, if it can cause permanent injury, it's got to have clearly been applied to the NPCs in the past, for the worldbuilding to be sensical. In the land of the blind warriors, the one-eyed peasant is king!
    It should also reflect the severity. If losing a limb requires a fumble/crit and them a 00 on a d% roll then the majority of major characters should be intact with a few missing hands or legs. If it happens every other time you roll a 1 then most of the cast should be missing bits.

The core idea of fumbles isn't bad, but the way they tend to be implemented is way off. If a roll of 00 in your percentile system is a critical fail then that's true whenever. This is why I roll openly when GMing, it helps with the urge to cheat fumbles.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd argue it should be slanted in the PC's favor. (Like with what Zito did—the worst that happens to PCs is fire damage, the worst that happens to NPCs is drowning.) After all, any given PC will probably roll more fumbles over the course of a campaign than any given villain, or even some villainous organizations. (Also, players are going to be way grumpier about losing their character to one horrendous roll than they would be if the villain offs himself through sheer misfortune.)

Honestly, I like TFS at the Table, but Zito's fumble rules always come off as emanating from the south side of a bull.
    I probably wouldn't want that kind of rule at my table, but it works great for its intended purpose. The needs of a DM running a game for his players are different than the needs of a DM running a game for a live audience. (That show gets livestreamed, right?) It's improv comedy, and given the viewcounts, it apparently works.

Read about King Charles II and tell me that physical ability outweighs bloodline for inheritance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    Meanwhile, anyone who played an elf got all sorts of freebies. Because it doesn't make sense that a long lived elf can't X, where X is anything from playing a prohibited class to breaking level restrictions.
    Ugh. I'm not sure if I should complain about the elf fanboyism or the fact that fluff shouldn't distort rules like that. (Fluff should have some effect on the rules, but only insofar as it resonates with themes or improves immersion, and even then it needs to be built into the system or carefully added.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

11. - Top - End - #191

I once had this GM who had a weirdly intense dislike for anything he saw as downtime. Among other things, he ruled this: "Anything that's technically listed in the sourcebook as having a price can always be bought or sold for exactly that price, as long as we're in between adventures or you're in a civilised area." This might not sound so bad, but this was a sci-fi game system, and a lot of the stuff that was technically in the sourcebook really wasn't intended to ever be used. Like WMDs. Add a slightly wonky pricing system and you end up with some very silly games.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Reminds me of how when me and my little brother would play RPGs together, if he was DMing, I'd always take advantage of the fact that he didn't bother double-checking much of anything. Sometimes I'd fudge the attribute rolls, other times I'd forget to ask for GM permission before buying light artillery.
    ...I'm pretty sure that's not the only reason he wasn't good at running long-term games. Probably the worst example I can remember (playing a pixie, which my brother didn't realize was permanently invisible) was also the longest-running campaign I remember him running.
    Last edited by GreatWyrmGold; 2018-10-29 at 07:41 PM.
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

13. - Top - End - #193

HalflingRogueGuy

1d20x6 for ability score generation. This was back in middle school before we fully understood the rules, though.
    My Games
    Doomsday Dawn (PF 2E) IC | The Sunless Citadel (5E) IC OOC | Legacy of Fire (PF 1E) IC

14. - Top - End - #194

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AtS View Post
    1d20x6 for ability score generation. This was back in middle school before we fully understood the rules, though.
    While it probably wasn't fun in most campaigns, I can see it being interesting in the right campaign or session.

Although I should say I have run gestalt and tristalt campaigns with 5d6 drop the lowest two or 42 point buy.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

So if you got 1 on the twenty sided dice the character had 1 int and so was as dumb as an insect?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    So if you got 1 on the twenty sided dice the character had 1 int and so was as dumb as an insect?
    1d20*6. 1*6 is 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

1d20*6. 1*6 is 6.
    I believed you rolled for the total stat points and with that rule it would have meant you had 6 points to spend in the 6 stats and so exactly one point in each stat(because a 0 makes your character unable to act or dead).

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

A critical failure and success mechanic for skill checks in Pathfinder. Now, it was still 'only' a -10, +10, but it was still highly irritating when playing a skill monkey character, especially a Rogue or Ninja, where you make a lot of successive rolls.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2018-10-30 at 08:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by weet555 View Post
    While it probably wasn't fun in most campaigns, I can see it being interesting in the right campaign or session.
    Ideally along with some kind of random race/class selection, some tools to help you rapidly generate characters on the fly, and villains on the level of Team Rocket.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

20. - Top - End - #200

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    I believed you rolled for the total stat points and with that rule it would have meant you had 6 points to spend in the 6 stats and so exactly one point in each stat(because a 0 makes your character unable to act or dead).
    I'm guessing it's 6x 1d20, i.e. roll 1d20 6 times to generate your 6 ability scores. If so, 1 Int is then possible, hence WORST houserule...

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

An annoying one I've recently encountered is that your movement must all be used in one go, before your other actions, X-COM style. This sort of nullifies the point of the rogue ability which is specifically to let you run in, stab the enemy, then Disengage and run back out of their reach
    Last edited by Bacon Elemental; 2018-10-31 at 05:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionReplay View Post
    Why does D&D have no Gollum? Why it does. You just can't see him. He is wearing his precious at the moment.
    There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds even worse than what I once had to do (7d20, reroll any score below 8, assign the highest six as desired). I requested being allowed to just use 4d6b3 and was denied. The idea was to have more varied characters without them being bad, but in reality...

An 8, 10, 13, 14, 14, 16 in the same party with a 14, 16, 18, 18, 20, 20 and a 14, 16, 20, 20, 20, 20 (I kid you not, this was me and I only had this many 20s because I was forced to reroll my 7 and take the best six).

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Elemental View Post
    An annoying one I've recently encountered is that your movement must all be used in one go, before your other actions, X-COM style. This sort of nullifies the point of the rogue ability which is specifically to let you run in, stab the enemy, then Disengage and run back out of their reach
    Ah, once had to use that rule in a game of Mutants & Masterminds. It would have made Move-by-Action somewhat useful even without investment in movement based powers, except Move-by-Action was nerfed into allowing you to take half your move action before your action and half after it.

How did we discover it? My Toughness 0 flier wanted to use their relatively short ranged attack and then retreat to the top of the massive room, out of the movement range of the GM's melee-based flier*. The GM insisted that this was the way Mutants & Masterminds worked, even after I pointed out the statement to the contrary in his own book. Next session I'd spent a PP on Move-by-Action (I'd passed it up as my character wasn't trained enough to reposition for tactical dive ins and the like), allowing me to move three miles after my action.

* He had a 60ft/turn movement speed, I could hit 1km/s, it shouldn't have been a contest.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

23. - Top - End - #203

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pelle View Post
    I'm guessing it's 6x 1d20, i.e. roll 1d20 6 times to generate your 6 ability scores. If so, 1 Int is then possible, hence WORST houserule...
    Yeah, this is what I meant by 1d20x6, roll 1d20, 6 times, assign the 6 rolled numbers to your ability scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Sounds even worse than what I once had to do (7d20, reroll any score below 8, assign the highest six as desired). I requested being allowed to just use 4d6b3 and was denied. The idea was to have more varied characters without them being bad, but in reality...

An 8, 10, 13, 14, 14, 16 in the same party with a 14, 16, 18, 18, 20, 20 and a 14, 16, 20, 20, 20, 20 (I kid you not, this was me and I only had this many 20s because I was forced to reroll my 7 and take the best six).
    Yeah, we ended up with a similar spread, predictably. My Half-Elf Bard didn't have a single Ability score above a 15, while my friend's Dragonborn Half-Dragon (Dragonborn didn't exist back then!) Paladin had 20 STR and 20 CHA. Also, we didn't understand how LA worked, so we just ignored it.

I still had fun, it was my first time playing D&D 3.0 and I barely had a grasp on the rules, let alone how unbalanced the party was. My character ended up the party sidekick because he really couldn't accomplish anything on his own. Everyone in that group eventually learned the rules for real, but it's just funny to look back and laugh at how wrong we played, fifteen years ago.
    Last edited by AtS; 2018-10-31 at 10:39 AM.
    My Games
    Doomsday Dawn (PF 2E) IC | The Sunless Citadel (5E) IC OOC | Legacy of Fire (PF 1E) IC

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Yeah, this is what I meant by 1d20x6, roll 1d20, 6 times, assign the 6 rolled numbers to your ability scores.
    I kind of want to try it out, just to see what kind of crazy stats this could give.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Firbolg in the Playground

I had a group that rolled, if I've got the notation correct, 3d20b1 for each stat. And it came as no surprise to us when one of the players requested a reroll - and no surprise that it was because he had a 1 for Intelligence. He was allowed a reroll, and happily took his 3 Intelligence. His dice really hated him that much.

Nice spread! I don't recall anyone having that many 20's even in the 3d20b1 group.

However, I intentionally played a sentient potted plant in a group with a divine entity (a figurative Thor), so, comparitively, what's a little thing like different stats?

26. - Top - End - #206

RangerGuy

I requested being allowed to just use 4d6b3 and was denied. The idea was to have more varied characters without them being bad, but in reality...
    Also for 4d6b3 rolling of stats, you can expect great inter-party difference in power level. Less chance sure, but still possible. You should accept being weaker than the rest of the party if you want to roll your stats, otherwise find alternative methods.

27. - Top - End - #207

Personally, if I were Gming in d20 I'd just give everyone 1 18, 2 16s, 1 14, 1 12, and a 10 and let them pick which stat gets which score.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Nice spread! I don't recall anyone having that many 20's even in the 3d20b1 group.

However, I intentionally played a sentient potted plant in a group with a divine entity (a figurative Thor), so, comparitively, what's a little thing like different stats?
    This was after racial and feat adjustments, but yes, it was a stupidly good spread. To the point that the character lasted one session, I retired to stop overshadowing the party by having more HP than the tank, more firepower than the sorceress, and more stealth than the rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelle View Post
    Also for 4d6b3 rolling of stats, you can expect great inter-party difference in power level. Less chance sure, but still possible. You should accept being weaker than the rest of the party if you want to roll your stats, otherwise find alternative methods.
    I mean, what I like about 4d6b3 is that it reduces the chance of low stats without eliminating it entirely. Although I do alter that stat generation rules based on the games I run.

In Lamentations of the Flame Princess I just do good old 3d6 straight down, but allow the swapping of two stats. It lets people play what they want, but you might have to deal with being a fighter with 6 CON, and the game's lethal enough that all 3s and all 18s doesn't make that much difference in lifespan.

If I ever run 5e again I'll be doing 4d6b3, reroll if you have no stat of 14+. It allows terrible arrays, but allows everybody to at the very least be good at something. Or I'd just do point-buy if the group is okay with it.

In Fantasy AGE I'll do the 'roll and assign' method (3d6, compare to table for value) or 12 point point-buy (only the latter if online).

In almost every other game I do point-buy only.

'But point buy leads to cookie cutter characters' I hear the roll-fans cry. I tend to find that that's more a result of having few points relative to your cap, with higher points buy values leading to more intelligent Fighters or strong Wizards, but I do understand that you'll almost never get a low-int Wizard or low-wis Cleric under point buy. Plus it's not like I haven't seen any cookie-cuttering with rolled characters, if a character has 12STR, 10DEX, 13CON, and 15INT they'll always be a wizard instead of a Fighter (mostly, I have met some players you'll assign the same class for every stat, or roll in order and then randomly determine their class).

Oh, the worst houserule I ever ran was enforced random race/class allocation. Nobody was happy with their class, although the random race selection worked a lot better (and led to fewer elves than normal).

Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Elemental View Post
    It works that way by intent in some games (e.g, basically any version of D&D before 5). But games where that isn't the intent tend to be designed with interruptible movement in mind...

Oh, the worst houserule I ever ran was enforced random race/class allocation. Nobody was happy with their class, although the random race selection worked a lot better (and led to fewer elves than normal).
    Great houserule for silly one-shots, not much good for anything else.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Great houserule for silly one-shots, not much good for anything else.
    I thought it would reflect the oppressive nature of the 40k universe

Show