New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Trouble in Subcon (IC)

Dear Hero,

The Dream Stars have been stolen. This letter has found you because you know the path to one of them.

This passport will allow you into Coral City in Western Subcon. Please find its depths and return the stars to their rightful place before all dreamers lose their way. In return, we will make one of your dreams come true.

I await your arrival.

- L~ d.R~ M~
    So says the strange letter you found in your dream last night. Stranger yet, you found a copy nearby shortly after you woke up. The rest of the dream comes rushing back as you hold it. You were wandering the dark and empty ruins of a previous, better dream you once had.

The letter you find in the waking world is also attached to a coral-colored booklet decorated with a sunset on the cover. It sure does look like a passport.

-

At some point during your day, you discover a coral transport-pipe that unlocks when you approach it holding your new passport. It may be in a back alley, in a closet, or even just out in the grass having seemingly been installed overnight.

Please describe for me where you are when you awake and where this mysterious pipe was hiding!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Trouble in Subcon (IC)

Keankoop awakens backstage at the theater he gave his most recent performance at. The theater is darkened considerably from the earlier performance, "Le MiseR.O.B.". He considers the dream for a moment, before finding the note in his hand. Some coded letter from an adoring fan, perhaps? After he stumbles around in the dark a bit, searching for the lights, he finds himself in a supply closet where the strange coral pipe has grown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Sonny awakens floating a few meters above the grass of a broad valley, mostly featureless except for a small stream with a few cheep-cheeps cheeping as they swim.

He twirls to stretch his beams, feeling some extra light and heat radiate from him as he awakens. What a good, if strange dream... and, what? The letter from his dream. He carefully picks it up with one of his beams -- a strange sight to be sure, a trick most toddler Suns master by the time they get flying. How odd. Even the words are the same.

Glancing around, he sees something else that wasn't there when he fell asleep. A strange pipe, with a coloration similar to this new notebook he now notices was in one of his other beams as he slept. Though it appears locked.

He draws near, and senses an interaction between the notebook and pipe not unlike how it felt the few rare times he held a key and met a locked door.
    His hopes and dreams solidifying in his mind and heart, he prepares the enter the pipe.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HP: 10/10
    FP: 5/5

Moustilda skipped out the front door of Merlon's house, a spring in her step, a brand-new (to her, anyway) bag of magical doomahickeys on her back, and a stern admonition to return them "Without a single scratch!" still ringing in her ears. It'd taken a lot of begging, and pleading, and some minor bribery, but the old wizard had finally agreed to lend her some of his cool magical stuff; which was good, because she was definitely going to need it for the COOL MAGICAL DREAM DESTINY QUEST that this obviously COOL MAGICAL DREAM DESTINY LETTER was definitely sending her on. I mean come on, showing up at her bed right after a weird dream just when she was finally starting to make progress as a student of the magical arts? There's no way that was a coincidence. This was how most legendary wizards got started, she was pretty sure. (Well Merlon said it usually started with years of rigorous study and training but that was probably just him and that's why he was so grumpy all the time.) Merlon didn't seem totally convinced about this quest (especially since he hadn't heard of this "Coral City", apparently), but she was really good at begging. (And though this particular method and...this particular vessel were certainly unorthodox, Merlon was no stranger to the powerful portents of dreams.)

Moustilda's parents on the other hand, were a bit harder to convince. Impossible actually. Even after she told them how much money and treasure she was definitely gonna find on a COOL MAGICAL DREAM DESTINY QUEST, they just yelled at her to stay here and steal like an honest thief instead of falling for a probably fake scam of some kind. Buuuut they couldn't really stop her and they probably weren't going to miss her much anyway so who cares what they think? They'd change their tune when she came back as a super-important mage who was rich and powerful and wise and rich.

All she needed to do now was to find this, uh, "Coral City" place. She'd never heard of it and Merlon had never heard of it and she didn't really know where to start looking for it but that suspicious-looking pipe tucked behind that pile of garbage over there seemed like a pretty good place to start?

Moustilda knew this neighborhood like the back of her paw, and this weird coral pipe was definitely new. She approached it with a few cautious sniffs, and she could swear she felt a little reaction from the passport, heard a little sound from the pipe! Yes! Yesyesyesyesyesyes this had to be it! COOL MAGICAL DREAM DESTINY PIPE!

Without a second thought, she rushed towards it, preparing to dive right in.
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz414; 2019-10-22 at 09:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

You enter your respective pipes and are subject to the usual sensation of sliding through space, albeit for an unusually long time and with a period of eerie silence in the middle. As you approach the other end, you sense bright midday light, splashing water, and a pair of arguing voices. You can't quite make it out until you emerge...

"There! It works! Now can you PLEASE get to work on the Underswim?"

A goggle-eyed yellow fish, who the knowledgeable among you might recognize as a trouter, is getting breathing down the neck of a squeek with a blue baseball cap and a heavy-looking wrench.

"I told you, I'll get to it when I get to it! I've got two other jobs ahead of you."

"What, you mean the fountain?"

Your attention is drawn to a massive fountain featuring ogre-sized figures of a trouter, a frog, and one of whatever Princess Peach is except with a fish tail instead of legs. It would be more impressive if all three statues weren't spraying filthy-looking black water everywhere. It splashes onto the front of the pool around it and stains the pink and gray cobblestones at your feet.

"Oh, whatever! Does anyone need to take the FOUNTAIN to get to work? I think not!"

The blue-capped mouse sighs. "Look, I'll get to it as soon as I can, okay? I'll see if I can bump it up on the schedule."

"See that you do!"

The trouter flops away, leaving the lot of you alone with the beleaguered plumber.

Around you, the salmon-tinted towers of Coral City rise into the noon sky. The overall look of the place is like a combination of the New Donk skyline and one of those tubular playgrounds for gerbils. Ladders lead to criss-crossing aqueducts above and stairs lead to gently-flowing canals below. Various denizens walk, flap and flop about their business, most with vaguely annoyed looks on their faces.

What do you do?
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-10-25 at 01:41 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

Show

Moustilda spent a few moments simply marveling at her surroundings; she'd never set foot outside of Rogueport before, and suddenly finding herself in a brand-new city was an entirely new experience for her. The buildings! The pipes! The strange fish people! The distinct lack of garbage and graffiti! She spent a good minute or two simply looking around at the towers of coral, taking in the fresh, ocean-ish scent (? Well, it smelled like how she thought an ocean should probably smell, anyway); she barely even noticed the other figures emerge from the pipe behind her.

But hey! No time for sightseeing! Gotta big magical destiny quest to do! She was here now, so that was a pretty good first step, but she didn't see anything particularly, uh, dream-y or star-y lookin' in the immediate vicinity. If these things were that easy to find they probably wouldn't have asked her to find them! She began her careful and methodical time-tested method of information-gathering; that is to say, she barreled up to the first unfortunate soul that fell in her line of sight (some koopa with a shiny-looking yellow shell and round sunglasses) and began chattering away.

"Oh! Hey! Heya! You look like you know some stuff! Names's Moustilda, what's yours? Do you live around here? Where d'you live? I'm pretty new around here do you know where I can get a map? Hey what's the deal with that fountain? Is that shell polish you're wearing? It smells like shell polish. Do you know anything about any Dream Stars? Oh hey I like your glasses where'd you get 'em? Ooh ooh what's in your satchel can I see huh huh huh can I can I huh please?"

She talked practically nonstop, barely even leaving enough time to breathe, let alone for the poor Koopa to actually get a word in edgewise.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    She's talking to Keankoop, in case it's not obvious.
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz414; 2019-10-25 at 10:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Woah...Keankoop gives the city a once over. He'd been all over, but had to admit even he hadn't seen anything quite like this. He gives the towering architecture a long look, before turning to the fountain. The statues were stunning, though ruined a bit by the black water. The koopa makes a mental note to see what it's commemorating, if there's a performance for the story, and where he could audition.

He immediately decides to lean nearby the fountain. If people were fixing it, it (and more importantly he) would get attention. If not, maybe the sludge would attract some protest he could help lead. Surely an endorsement from a former member of Boonum and Dayzee's would help their cause. And he would get a boost too, though probably less of one. He remembers the letter and gives it a look again, wondering what it could mean, right before a tiny brown-furred squeek girl almost runs him over.

Are you the fan? He raises a brow and waves the letter, giving Moustilda a once over. It's pretty cryptic, man. The yellow-shelled koopa looks at the bag bursting with magical doodads But you kinda look the type to do that. Is this, like, a costume?

As her questions rush him, he realizes the question of the pipe and letter might be a bit more complicated than he thought. He straightens up and motions to himself, his tone changing to something a bit more theatric.

I'm Keankoop, best koopa performer, no best performer, of all time. And I'm new too. That fountain is the start of my rise in this town, though. Don't know anything else about it. When you got a gold shell like mine you have to polish it. My glasses he winks, an effect diminished by the fact that his eyes are hidden are one of a kind. My satchel carries everything I need for a performance He pauses, thinking he's answered all her questions, before saying with a start Wait, you've heard of these dream stars too?
    Last edited by Luccan; 2019-10-25 at 10:47 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Sonny is enamored with the complexity of the place, missing out on all but the most obvious details of the conversations going on. This place is beautiful, with its ways for aquatic life to move about while still having room for other life. And that fountain -- perhaps not the best, with the coloration, but, oh, did they say it was broken? So not intentional? It will probably be great to see once it shoots pure water (not that Sonny was too much a fan of water, though it was pretty as it turned to steam if he got in it).

The mention of "Dream" from the mouse and koopa talking draws his attention, though.

Somewhat shyly, he hovers towards them and asks, "Did you get a letter about stolen Dream Stars, too? Oh- and hi. I'm Sonny, a not-angry Sun. It's a pleasure to meet you."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

Show

Moustilda looked back and forth between the koopa and the newly-arrived unangry sun. Wait. Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. Other letters about stolen Dream Stars?

For a brief moment, she deflated as she realized that she was not, in fact, the sole destined legendary wizard hero tasked with saving the world (or dreams, or whatever it was). But she bounced back almost immediately. Yeah...yeah, this made sense! I mean all those figures in the histories always had like partners and stuff. If anything, finding more people on this destiny quest proved even more that she was definitely on the right track here.

"Oh! Yeah! Yeahyeahyeahyeah!" she piped excitedly. "Got a special magic dream destiny quest letter of my own and everything! See? See see see see see?" She brandished the letter in their faces. "Does it match yours? Wheredja get it? Howdja get it? Did it show up in a sorta weird dream? You guys are gonna help find em, right? D'you know where they are? Where you wanna start looking? I mean the letter says to 'find its depths' so hey maybe thats a clue that we gotta look underground somewhere like in a sewer or something i mean that's usually where all the good treasures tend to be heck back where im from there was a whole undercity just chock full of treasure so that seems like a good place to start 'cept i just got here so i dont really know how to get underground or underwater or whatever this place has yet oh I'm Moustilda by the way nice to meetcha!" she rambled, directing the last bit at Sonny specifically.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Destiny? Keankoop isn't sure, but it sounds like a good way to gain some notoriety Alright, Moustilda and Sonny, I guess we've got a common interest. Lets see if this guy knows anything about these Dream Stars He saunters over to the working squeek and holds out a hand, giving a smile and tilting his shell ever so slightly so that it shines in the light. Hey, I'm Keankoop. I'm new and had a couple questions if you don't mind.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yeah, hi," says the squeek. "I, uh, just wanted to thank you three for testing that pipe for me. It took me all day to repair. I think it's been hiding in the ground there for decades."

He pauses, then panics when Moustilda threatens to start talking again. "So! Uh, if you want to go underground, you can take a raft through the canals down there, but you might not get that far while the underswim isn't working. The raft girl can tell you if you want to go somewhere specific. If you're looking for the Dream Stars, though, you came at a bad time. Rumor has it they've all gone missing. I don't really know about it, but I'd guess some joker threw them into the dream bubbles as a prank."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Sonny is a bit surprised and stunned by the friendly Moustilda's rapid speech. People are usually afraid of him, or at least stand-offish. This is nice. Really nice, but also something he's not used to.

When the repairman squeek speaks, Sonny's expression grows a bit puzzled.
    "I got this letter -- yeah, same as you, Moustilda, and good to meet ya -- and it mentioned Dream Stars, but I don't know what they are. What are they, and what are the dream bubbles?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

"You know, dream bubbles! Like the ones out... in... right, you just came in that pipe. You're not really from anywhere in Subcon, are you?"

He sighs and tries to think about what an accidental tourist might need to know.

"Okay. You're in Coral City (hi, welcome) and Coral City is a part of Subcon. Subcon is what you'd call a dream world. Whenever someone has a dream, it forms a dream bubble where the dream takes place, and chances are that bubble will show up somewhere in Subcon. The Dream Stars kind of... keep them organized, I think? I don't really know how it works. That's more The Princess' thing, I think."

"You said you all got letters, right? Were you here to meet someone?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-10-31 at 08:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

Show

Moustilda listened attentively as the plumber Squeek told them about the city and Subcon, memorizing every last detail that she could.

"Oooh yes! Well, no. Maybe?" She responded to the Squeek's last question, tilting her head in thought. "See we all got these letters saying that the dream stars were stolen and one of em is here but it doesn't say we needta meet anyone specific but we prolly need to once we find the dream star so we can return it to them but maybe theyll just send us another letter anyway i mean they can prolly do that if they're a magical dream destiny quest granter. It says uhhhh 'L squiggle d.R squiggle M squiggle' on it which is sorta weird for initials but maybe its from that princess you were talking about? Where is she? What's her name? What does she do is she like the Princess Peach of this place?"

---

"Oh oh oh wait buuuuut before we worry about any a that stuff we gotta find this dream star!" She said after the Squeek gave his answers (if any), switching gears back to the task at hand. "I think it might be like underwater or something so we definitely should start by looking under the city, yeahyeahyeah. What's the underswim, whatsit do? How'd it get broken? Canya fix it? Ooh ooh ooh, can we fix it? I mean I dont know anything about underswims or plumbing or anything but this is definitely our magical dream destiny quest so maybe we can do something? I can do magic, I got lotsa magic!"

She creates a little shower of sparks by way of demonstration.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

"Um... uh huh... well..."

The plumber struggles to keep up with the fast-talking Moustilda. As short as she is even by squeek standards, it's a little like being accosted by a schoolgirl in a Halloween costume.

"LDRM... Yeah, that's her! She signed the order to fix the pipe the same way..." He pauses again as he parses the rest of what the junior witch was saying. "Wait, hold on. Did you ask if you could fix it?" Another pause. "Well, it might be easy enough, and it would get Flaxenberg off my back. It'll help you, too; the underswim is the only way to get to the Water Temple where the princess probably is."

He retrieves a piece of paper from under his hat, featuring a silhouette of two crossed wrenches at the top of the page. "Here's the work plan I had for it. There's a big filter at the South River Junction, and it probably got overwhelmed with the same black stuff that's gotten into the fountain. Hopefully, all you'll have to do is scrape the gunk out and it will start flowing normally. There's a little map to the junction at the bottom of the sheet... um, don't worry if it's hard to read, the raft girl will know what it means."

The map is indeed hard to read. It's like a subway map designed by a mad wizard and scribbled on by a blind fuzzy who loves acronyms. The plumber points the way to one of the stairs down. "Head down those steps and follow the canal to the raft rental. She'll probably ask for a raft voucher, but just show her the paper and tell her I'll owe her a favor. Oh, and, uh... thanks."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-11-01 at 12:58 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Keankoop grabs the map and spins his hand around, before going into a deep and theatrical bowOur pleasure. Remember Keankoop and Company, I'm sure you'll hear of me- us again. he holds the map tightly and begins to make his way in the direction the worker Squeak indicated So, Moustilda, you do magic? Anything that could help a stage performance. Maybe some lights or something? He turns to Sonny, walking backwards and what about you? Can't say I've heard of a non-Angry Sun before. How might your presence in this little troop help me? His questions are serious, though non-hostile. He doesn't seem to think anything of demanding the assistance of these two near-strangers in his own agenda.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2019-11-01 at 01:02 AM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Destiny, a princess, and maybe friends. If odd friends. But Sonny was an odd one himself, he reckoned.
    And a lot else to soak in -- a realm of dreams? -- but he was happy to let the more obvious parts soak in first.

"Thank you, master of repairs," he says to the squeek, letting his new companions handle the paper.

To the koopa, he replies, "Well, I can fly, and burn stuff. I can also not-burn stuff, if I focus." As proof, he holds up his letter. "Well, most of the time."

"To be more honest, I am an Angry Sun, like you're a koopa, but I'm not angry about the world like most of my kin. I'm really hoping to get them to appreciate the beauty of the world someday, but for now it just made sense for me to leave their skyrealm and come down here to appreciate it myself. It's nice to meet the two of you. I think we could all work together to save these Dream Stars.

Huh... I've heard Princesses usually have neat powers. Maybe she really could make our dreams come true. My family happy on the land... that'd be something...

So, should we see this, uh, raft person?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

Show
    FP: 5

"Oh yesyesyesyes, I can do light, I'm the best at light, watch!" Moustilda piped in response to Keankoop's question. Pushing up the brim of her hat, the young mage pulled a worn-looking wand from a loop on the side of her bag and waved it in a complex gesture, little geometric shapes dancing around the chipped gem on its tip. Then, with a little "Yah!" and a loud "VVNNNN" noise, a ray of brilliant yellow light shot from the gem, missing Keankoop by inches and leaving a sizable black scorch mark on the ground behind him.

"...Oh. Oops. Guess I needta work a liiiiitle more on getting the intensity on that one right. Good thing I missed! Ehehehe."

"Buuuuut anyway," Moustilda continued, replacing the wand and adjusting the straps on her bag, "We can practice special effects later, we gotta go find that dream star and that princess and that raft girl! Magic adventure's not gonna do itself, letsgoletsgoletsgo!" She skittered past Keankoop and towards the stairs the plumber Squeek had indicated, displaying surprising speed and grace for someone loaded down with several pounds of unwieldy magic junk.
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz414; 2019-11-01 at 07:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing Moustilda speed off, Keankoop looks at Sonny and grins Hope you can keep up! he dashes off after her, performing several unnecessary flips and acrobatic stunts, sometimes purposefully turning towards an obstacle just to vault over it. If anyone sees him doing this, he flashes them a peace sign, thumbs up, or other positive gesture, but otherwise keeps moving.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

A shyguy in an orange hood with glasses worn over their mask stares confusedly after Keankoop as he and Moustilda lead the group down the stairs. As you follow the canal, it begins to look a little more like Rogueport as the wet walkway fades into the shadow of the bridges and buildings above.

You see several people pass by in the other direction. A trio of trouters ride a raft down the canal, which seems unnecessary until you notice that one of them has black-stained scales, no doubt from more of the muck you saw earlier. A little black bird in sunglasses rides another raft, and shoots a sour look at you as he rides past. A pair of red shyguys lean against the wall, trying to look like they're too cool for school. And finally, the raft stand. On top of the counter, small magenta bird - a pidgit - sits on top of their own personal-size raft and is currently dealing with a goomba flanked by two more red shyguys.

"Listen, kid, we're really doin' you a favor here! Wit' our connections, you won't be wantin' for nuttin' forever!"

"I said no! Get your own stand! Also, I think there was a double negative in there?" The pidgit bounces up and down on her raft-counter to get your attention. "Hi there! Just one second!" She glares at the goomba again. "Now, shoo! I've got real customers lining up behind you."

"Oh, sure, we'll scram. But if we're leavin', those rafts are all leavin' wit' us, see?"

The two shyguys you passed on the way here disengage from the wall and start to approach from behind you. This argument seems to be escalating quickly!

What do you do?
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-11-04 at 03:22 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Sonny doesn't like bullies, but he also doesn't want to get into a fight unless there's no other way to prevent it.

He flies over to the goomba accosting the raft-bird, looking at it and shy guys.
    "Friends, I don't think you realize how much trouble you are causing. Surely there are other ways to get by in this world than violently taking from this fair feathered one? I know that the waters are unpleasant now, but my friends and I are hoping to fix the problem shortly. Please let us engage in barter here, that we can make the area more pleasant for you and all the others. Why don't you just go enjoy the area in the meantime? The fountain may be sprewing dark water, but the sprewing itself is still quite marvelous. Just look past the time and the darkness, and you'll see much you can enjoy."

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show

Trying to Flashily Create an Advantage by persuading them to peace, thereby using my Stunt.
    I'm not clear on the dice mechanics, but my Flashy is +3 and stunt adds +2 for a total +5 modifier. Could you roll for me?

I was gonna just intimidate them (Forceful Social Attack, I guess?), but this seems a more fun route to take. And perhaps it'll have an Advantage of some shy guys backing off/hesitating if it comes to blows. Or just being kinda persuaded if the next move is a Social Attack to 'seal the deal'. (I'm still new to FAE mechanics.)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

Show
    FP: 4

Moustilda took the opportunity to pelt Sonny with questions as the group headed down the stairs and along the canal ("What's the skyrealm like? How d'you hold things up? What's your family like? How does suns having families work anyway? What do you eat? Do you eat? Heyheyhey, you wanna see a magic trick?" and so on and so on and so on), but stopped as she saw the argument unfolding near the raft stand.

Hoooo boy. Moustilda had certainly seen her fair share of guys and situations like this back in Rogueport; and, as great as Sonny's speech was, she knew from experience that this was prooooobably about to get ugly regardless. And one lesson she had seen learned the hard way over and over again? Never, ever fight fair if you could help it.

Hoping to take advantage of the significant distraction of Sonny's talking, Moustilda quietly mumbled a few words and (almost) disappeared, her form turning translucent and only barely, barely visible. She quietly crept towards a shadier corner of the walkway, preparing herself to jump out for a sneak attack if necessary.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    My best guess is that this falls under Sneakily Overcome an Obstacle (if a roll is required?), in which case the modifier will be +5 (+3 from Sneaky, +2 from her Stunt, which I think definitely applies here.) Tell me if you don't think that's correct, of course.

Dice roll: (4d3-8)[-2] Total of 3.

EDIT: Invoking Young Squeek Thief and Novice Mage for 1 FP. Reroll result was -1, +5 for a total of 4.

Oh, also, are we officially in initiative mode, or not yet?
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz414; 2019-11-07 at 10:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

After listening to Sonny's speech, the shyguys look to each other and hang their heads. The goomba in front isn't having any of it. "Hey! Don't you dare flake out on me! We're doin' a job here!" He looks up to yell at the sun. "And you! I ain't gonna get guilt-tripped by some weird floating kid! We got connections, see? Now get outta here before we pulverize you!"

Aspects Discovered:
    Goomba: Stubborn and Insecure (1 free invoke)
    Shyguys: Loyal, Guilt-tripped

Meanwhile, Moustilda slips into the shadow of the raft stand. The two shyguys in a position to notice assume she's taking cover in case a fight breaks out and have already stopped paying attention by the time she's cast her spell.

Aspect Gained: Invisible (1 free invoke)

Spoiler
    Show
    It would be Overcome if you were trying to sneak past them entirely, but if you're trying to use it to get an advantage then you're, well, creating an advantage. In this case, you'd get the Invisible aspect.

If you think changing the stunt to reflect that would make more sense, go ahead. You succeeded either way and can invoke invisibility for free when you do a thing with it.

The goomba bounces angrily. The shyguys are no longer itching for a fight, but seem unwilling to leave him hanging. It seems that there is no further interaction to be had with this group other than fighting or leaving.

Your team goes first!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing communication break down and a perfect opportunity to take everyone's attention Keankoop springs into action. He spins forward on the back of his polished shell, casting the ambient light in a dazzling glow as he aims for the goomba leader, shouting in an affected manner Heckle us no more, villain!

Spoiler: Attack!
    Show

If I've got this right, I'm invoking Stylish Shell Spin to give me a +2 to this Flashy attack.

(4d3-8)[0]+5

So that's +5?

Flower Points: 4/5
    Last edited by Luccan; 2019-11-08 at 06:07 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

"What- GWAH!"

Keankoop's heroic slide launches the goomba away with an always-satisfying *Badook!* He tumbles to a landing on the other side of his cronies.

Goomba: Taken out in one hit!

Shyguys: Loyal, Guilt-tripped, Surrounding You

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Sonny doesn't like violence, but, like any of his kin, he is capable of it.
    What the goomba said about connections and a job was disconcerting, as well.

Rotating his tendrils with fury, he charges into the shy guys. As they are surrounding us, it is easy to hit and burn multiple of them at the same time.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show

(4d3-8)[1] + 2 Forceful + 2 Stunt (Forcefully Attack) + 2 invoke of them surrounding us = ROLL RESULT + 6

-1 FP for invoke

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Exploiting the close quarters, the sun burns and tackles the two closer shyguys, sending them sliding face-down next to their boss.

The other two charge from the rear, each one marking of the fighting PCs they see for their own tackle attacks.

Sonny and Keankoop each make a defense roll against Shyguy Tackle! It's a 3-damage attack. If your total is less than 3, you take damage equal to the difference.

Shyguys (2/4): Loyal, Guilt-tripped

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Sonny attempts to quickly dive out of the way, but one of the shy guys manages to get a good whomp on him regardless. He prepares for his next move.

Show

Rolled a 0 + 2 Quick, so total of 2. 3-2 = 1 damage taken.

9/10 HP, 4/5 FP

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Keankoop ducks into his shell as the shyguys launch their attack, letting them impact the hard surface rather than his softer body.

Spoiler
    Show

(4d3-8)[1]+1+2

I think just ducking behind a shield would be Forceful, so that's what I'm using. I'll spend another FP to give me a boost because of my shell.

A total of 4!

Last edited by Luccan; 2019-11-16 at 12:57 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

One shy hops into place after elbow-checking the sun, and the other staggers back after fruitlessly pounding a hard koopa shell. The good guys get another turn of their own.