The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Heart soul and memory 4 A farewell to love (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    "'Enhancement?'" Alice repeats, curious. "What kind of enhancement?"
    Like strength, stamina that sort of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Like strength, stamina that sort of stuff.
    "Aw..." Alice said in disappointment. "I thought you might mean, like, bust size or stuff like that."
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

"We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

3. - Top - End - #243

"Aw..." Alice said in disappointment. "I thought you might mean, like, bust size or stuff like that."
    Oh, you were hoping I'd drink that one? Ophelia purrs.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, you were hoping I'd drink that one? Ophelia purrs.
    Alice grinned. "You, me, our other friends, everyone in the school... you know, depends on how many potions you could make," she said.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

"We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

5. - Top - End - #245

Alice grinned. "You, me, our other friends, everyone in the school... you know, depends on how many potions you could make," she said.
    I'd have to stock up. Ophelia remarks.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Emma gives an uncharacteristic frown at this, "That sounds pretty dangerous... magic potions aren't toys. Well, not all of them anyway. Definitely not love potions."

7. - Top - End - #247

Episode 9 Scene 3

And now it is your time to present your project.

You have learned that combining potions is usually a terrible idea. While individual potions can be made with multiple minor effects, combining already made potions at best causes their effects to be diluted. At worse magical backlash is a bitch.

So. How do you present your findings?

Spoiler: Unopposed
    Show

Allure =d7 No one cares about what you found, they just care about how good you look. +3 VP with Ophelia.

Skill =d7 Present your findings logically, and with vigor. + 3 VP with Ophelia.

Conflict =d9 You're going to scream! +4 VP with Ophelia.

Oh, and to represent the.... wolf like nature of group projects.

You get an additional VP if you are the only one to succeed.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Athena has largely done PowerPoint preparation, but seeing everyone rather reluctant to speak, begins.

”Good morning. The goal of our experiment was the determine the effects of container material on potion strength and effect. The means of testing this were simple enough - brew a potion, store it in a vial of a particular material for one day, two days, and one week - and then sample their effects.

Unfortunately, over the course of the experiment, different potions became intermixed by some unknown means,”
    she says, letting the words hang in the air for a second, and so a new experiment was created: the effects of mixing magical potions, and the necessity of proper cleaning of potion vials. However, before we discuss the experiment itself, a little background is necessary to give context to the experiment.” Athena then begins to dive into an explanation of the history of potions, and what materials were used historically, and why they were phased out over time.

”As you can see, the primary impetus for material change has always been storage and identification, with the interaction of the material and potion always being a tertiary concern. I now turn you over to my colleague,” she finishes (finally), turning attention to the next speaker.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Skill (+1), Honor Student (+2)
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Sam presents her findings factually, if a bit drier than normal. She's seemed rather distracted during the whole project, although her work's been perfectly serviceable as always. In any case, she gives a straightforward presentation, with the only real flair of showmanship being an underlying appeal to authority that just so happens to reference a slightly-underground sourcebook penned by the teacher's uncle when he'd been a professor himself - not a recognizable title to most, and not obvious kissassery, but perhaps enough to color opinions a bit...

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Skill. Strong 1, Honor Student 2, Connections 2, total +5.
    (WW/Mafia) Mansion Murder Mystery is recruiting!

Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"So as Athena and Sam said, mixing magical potions has undesirable results," Emma said, taking her turn to speak, "The real question, of course, is why that happens. Well, that mostly has to do with how alchemical ingredients interact with each other. You see, what separates 'alchemy' from 'chemistry' is that at least some of the components of the final solution are infused with magic, either by their own mystical nature and origins, or by being exposed to magical or ritualistic phenomenon at a certain stage of its cultivation. The exact nature of that magic can vary wildly, from eldritch to divine to even draconic, and none of these magics tend to play nice with one another, especially once brought out by alchemical reactions."

She hits the clicker to the next slide, which shows a diagram on screen for a split second before the image starts glitching out and causing the entire program to crash. Frowning, Emma presses the button on her clicker a couple of times, causing more 'FILE CORRUPT' error messages to pop up on screen, before chuckling nervously and stammering, "Er, looks like we're having some technical difficulties. Uh, here, let me show you what I had up there."

Emma grabs a marker and begins drawing her diagram of magical combinations on the whiteboard. Said diagram has several eldritch symbols that Emma uses as short-hand for more advanced concepts, both explaining what caused the file corruption and causing mild disorientation to those looking at it too long without protection (or in cases like Emma's outright immunity). To those with expertise in computer engineering and eldritch script, the real question is how she has managed to get the original on the computer in the first place, and why it didn't corrupt the file much sooner.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Since I took the version of Maiden's Garb that I can't use at school, I'm not capable of hitting any of these rolls without using my second Fortune Talisman, and it's too early in the episode for me to feel okay doing that. So I'm just gonna use Shadow Out of Time, forcing everyone else to roll twice and take the lower.
    Last edited by The TechnoGnome; 2019-05-12 at 12:02 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Alice, who was originally just supposed to read a fairly simple part of the group's presentation script and look pretty (since she doesn't actually know much about this whole project), finds herself trying to help Emma with the weird computer problems that suddenly came up while everyone else was presenting. But being as she wasn't much better with computers than she was with potions, all that managed was to crash the whole thing. So she turned to helping Emma draw on the whiteboard, where she was slightly more help - in that her mistakes probably prevented Emma's eldritch symbols from doing anything worse than disoriented anybody, at any rate.

When it came time for her to read her part, she did so a little bashfully, embarrassed about the trouble she'd just caused.

Spoiler: OOC/Roll
    Show
    Weak Skill -1, Easily Forgiven auto-success.

Was going to go Allure and take a 50/50 and save this for later, but with Shadow Out of Time from Emma it's way too likely that we wind up with Sam being the only one succeeding if I do that (since she only fails on a 1), and I can't have that if I want any chance at all of Alice winning.

12. - Top - End - #252

Alice, who was originally just supposed to read a fairly simple part of the group's presentation script and look pretty (since she doesn't actually know much about this whole project), finds herself trying to help Emma with the weird computer problems that suddenly came up while everyone else was presenting. But being as she wasn't much better with computers than she was with potions, all that managed was to crash the whole thing. So she turned to helping Emma draw on the whiteboard, where she was slightly more help - in that her mistakes probably prevented Emma's eldritch symbols from doing anything worse than disoriented anybody, at any rate.

When it came time for her to read her part, she did so a little bashfully, embarrassed about the trouble she'd just caused.

Show
    Weak Skill -1, Easily Forgiven auto-success.

Was going to go Allure and take a 50/50 and save this for later, but with Shadow Out of Time from Emma it's way too likely that we wind up with Sam being the only one succeeding if I do that (since she only fails on a 1), and I can't have that if I want any chance at all of Alice winning.
    After class. Alice is told to stay in the room.

Ophelia is listening on the door handle.

"Alice.... What did you do to the computer?" She berates angrily.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

After class. Alice is told to stay in the room.

Ophelia is listening on the door handle.

"Alice.... What did you do to the computer?" She berates angrily.
    "I don't know!" Alice says, "Emma's power point wasn't working, so I tried to help her, clicking around on stuff so she could keep saying her part of the script, and then it just suddenly froze up and went black..."

14. - Top - End - #254

"I don't know!" Alice says, "Emma's power point wasn't working, so I tried to help her, clicking around on stuff so she could keep saying her part of the script, and then it just suddenly froze up and went black..."
    "Alice I know computers, a restart should have fixed if the program froze."

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

"Alice I know computers, a restart should have fixed if the program froze."
    "I don't know what the power point was doing, it was throwing all these weird error messages around. And I didn't restart it, I was just trying to get the power point to work right again," Alice said.

16. - Top - End - #256

"I don't know what the power point was doing, it was throwing all these weird error messages around. And I didn't restart it, I was just trying to get the power point to work right again," Alice said.
    "Alice. As far as I can tell, the computer seems to be fried!"

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

"Alice. As far as I can tell, the computer seems to be fried!"
    "Well, that sucks," Alice said, embarrassed. "But I mean, isn't there a computer repair person you can call or something? I definitely have no idea what happened or how to fix it. The power point was just throwing around all these weird error messages, I kept clicking the "x" to make them go away and trying to fiddle with it to get it to work, it kept not working, and eventually it just, well, froze and died, like I said..."

18. - Top - End - #258

"Well, that sucks," Alice said, embarrassed. "But I mean, isn't there a computer repair person you can call or something? I definitely have no idea what happened or how to fix it. The power point was just throwing around all these weird error messages, I kept clicking the "x" to make them go away and trying to fiddle with it to get it to work, it kept not working, and eventually it just, well, froze and died, like I said..."
    "So without knowing how to fix it, you decided to just press random buttons. Alice, I'm failing you from the project."

19. - Top - End - #259

Episode 9 scene 4

That is such bull**** Alice, she failed you just cause the computer broke? That's not your fault at all!
    We... we should complain to the principal, or something!
    Ophelia remarked.

Spoiler: Opposed
    Show

Allure= Calmly talk to the secretary to get an audience with the principal. +3 VP with Ophelia.

Skill= You've done the math and Alice's grade won't actually be impacted by the failure. +3 VP with Ophelia.

Conflict =Intimidate the secretary. +3 VP with Ophelia.

Luck =The teacher was already called in to explain the computer. +3 VP with Ophelia.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Athena speaks up, having done the math in her head as numbers were mentioned. "Um... You guys know that Alice's grade is going to remain a C because of this, right? Why is anyone concerned about this?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

"Just because it won't cause her to technically fail doesn't mean the hit to her GPA won't have consequences. Faulty equipment shouldn't dictate grading, regardless of how well you are or aren't doing."

Show
    Skill. Strong 1, Honor Student 2, total +3.

Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"It... well, it kinda broke during my part of the presentation," Emma admitted sheepishly, "So why is Alice getting blamed for it?"

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Strong Luck, Reality Warper, +3 total. Banking on dramatic irony for the universe to answer Emma question immediately

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Alice found herself in the odd position of trying to calm Ophelia down about something that was technically her problem. "Hey, it's no big deal. I mean, yeah it's a weird reason to fail me, but everybody else in our group failed the project, it would be weird if I didn't for some reason, right? I don't even know why that happened in the first place..."

And it was at that point that Alice's usual balance problems somehow took over even though she was standing still, and she found herself sliding across the floor and into a batch of cleaning supplies the janitor had set there for later use, making a loud ruckuss as she hit. Which attracted the attention of the vice principal, who happened to be nearby, and came to check on them...

Show
    Strong Luck +1, Accident-Prone +2 = +3 total.
    I figure that if Alice wins the roll, the vice principal also overheard the talk about the computer and calls the teacher in to explain. If not, he/she is just making sure everyone's okay, maybe even mad about the janitor's stuff.

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "Just because it won't cause her to technically fail doesn't mean the hit to her GPA won't have consequences. Faulty equipment shouldn't dictate grading, regardless of how well you are or aren't doing."

Show
    Skill. Strong 1, Honor Student 2, total +3.
    Yeah, Sam want to talk to the principal with me? You're always so good talking to authority figures. Ophelia beams.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, Sam want to talk to the principal with me? You're always so good talking to authority figures. Ophelia beams.
    She nods. "I'd be happy to, this is a travesty."

Many thanks!

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    She nods. "I'd be happy to, this is a travesty."
    We'll be right back guys. Ophelia remarks. Do you want to us to lead or should I? Ophelia asks Sam.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

We'll be right back guys. Ophelia remarks. Do you want to us to lead or should I? Ophelia asks Sam.
    "I'll follow your lead, sweetie. You can play good cop, I'll be bad cop."

Many thanks!

28. - Top - End - #268

Episode 9 scene 5

Hey gals, why don't you come over tonight, and we'll have ourselves a study party? Ophelia offers, and those few words delivered with a heart wrenching smile immediately sends you into flutters.

How are you gonna woo her.

Spoiler: Unopposed
    Show

Allure =d4 You look good and you know it. +1 VP with Ophelia.

Skill =d6 You have a study plan that covers all the topics. +2 VP with Ophelia

Conflict =d8 Something breaks down, fix it. +3 VP with Ophelia

Luck =d8 Surprise me. +3 VP with Ophelia.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Emma, with her short attention span, only heard the 'party' part of 'study party', so she gave an overly enthusiastic "Sounds good!" before heading home to get ready.

Later that afternoon, Emma arrived at Ophelia's house with multiple bags of chips, soda, DVDs, and party games, all hanging off the back of her wheelchair like a discount Santa's gift bag.

"Alright everyone, I'm ready to party!" she cheered, before frowning and asking, "What's with all the books?"

Spoiler: Unopposed Roll
    Show
    Strong Luck (+1), Fortune Talisman (Alice (since she's also a party animal ), +2), +3 total.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

”That would be good. I hope you and the others actually plan to study and not just have a get together. If so, I can make proper preparations.”
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2019-06-19 at 07:51 AM.

Show