New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Is the Snarl actually evil?

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    I see places for Banjo and Giggles in Purple Pantheon.

I don't believe The Snarl can be Evil or Good. It is a personification of godly strife. Even if intelligent enough to be self aware, it is a creation of all the gods, Good and Evil.
    ...I doubt the Dark One would accept puppets. And they don't have nearly enough worshippers.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    ...I doubt the Dark One would accept puppets. And they don't have nearly enough worshippers.
    FWIW, I'm unsure if The Dark One would get to veto whether they joined his pantheon. If they've got the purple quiddity, they've got it - not much he can do, except maybe kill them immediately after they've ascended, before they've got time to "consolidate" their power.

Of course, neither puppet is going to ascend. But maybe another purple god will eventually. Who knows?

I don't believe The Snarl can be Evil or Good. It is a personification of godly strife. Even if intelligent enough to be self aware, it is a creation of all the gods, Good and Evil.
    Look at its behavior. It murders everything in its path. If it's sapient, that's textbook Chaotic Evil behavior.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2018-10-04 at 02:43 AM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    FWIW, I'm unsure if The Dark One would get to veto whether they joined his pantheon. If they've got the purple quiddity, they've got it - not much he can do, except maybe kill them immediately after they've ascended, before they've got time to "consolidate" their power.

Of course, neither puppet is going to ascend. But maybe another purple god will eventually. Who knows?

Look at its behavior. It murders everything in its path. If it's sapient, that's textbook Chaotic Evil behavior.
    Well, yes, but your quiddity is based on which pantheon your followers believe you should be in. And, if anything, Banjo and Giggle should make up their own, extremely weak pantheon, possibly with some sort of orange quiddity. Also, they're already gods. If people worship you, you're a god, albeit a very minor one. That said, as regards another deity joining the purple pantheon...Do you think enough Goblins worship Redcloak? ALmost cectrainley not gonna happen, but worth considering.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Depending on the exact meaning of "sponsorship", it is possible that the trnasformation from mortal soul in fleshy suit to divine spirit in a singularity required the intervention of pre-existing gods to happen, giving their quiddity to the newly formed god. So, mortals could believe in another mortal* without ever raising them to actual godhood... or so the gods thought.

*Banjo and Giggles have never had mortal souls
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Depending on the exact meaning of "sponsorship", it is possible that the trnasformation from mortal soul in fleshy suit to divine spirit in a singularity required the intervention of pre-existing gods to happen, giving their quiddity to the newly formed god. So, mortals could believe in another mortal* without ever raising them to actual godhood... or so the gods thought.
    However, those gods would then need to gain worshippers somehow or else they'd be powerless, so I think it makes a bit more sense to assume that they started out with worshippers and ascended to godhood through the combined prayers of those people.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    "you will almost certainly be bored with a lot of the material I'm producing. And more importantly, I won't care.

it's unlikely you are ever going to enjoy it."

Yikes. Really telling people off there! Acrimonious indeed. Wonder what happened to make him so hostile?
    He was quite blunt enough that simply reading the words as what they say and not mining them for some hidden, unstated motivation is probably the best way to arrive at actual understanding.

Whether that will bring you to the conclusion you want to reach is another question.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Zenzis View Post
    Not trying to get off topic on the sapience thing, but it seems heavily related to the evil thing for some people. I personally think they are unrelated. Yes a wolf is neutral, and yes a wolf will do things that might seem "Evil" to survive, but a wolf's sole existence does not revolve around destruction. Animals don't want "nothing more than destruction".
    Remaining aware of forum rules, the concept of Evil and Good as presented in D&D and in this comic is entirely from collective Western notions of morality (“Western” defined as the cultures of Europe and the Middle-East whose exchange of ideas resulted in modern Western societies as we know them). In this system, evil and good are held to be derived from awareness of oneself and our relations with the world and one another, turning us into moral agents who can choose right or wrong. This is so pervasive an idea, most legal systems in the modern day use this very premise as a foundation, regardless of political, social, or religious affiliation. It gets complicated speaking of non-Western traditions like Taoism, where “Evil” and “Good” do not have exact counterparts, but somewhat comparable analogues of positivity and negativity do exist. Hence why, under this tradition, a hurricane (mindless), a young child (inadequate self-awareness and understanding of moral concequences), and a wolf (mostly instinctual and with little capacity for empathy and “culture”) are generally held not to be, and cannot be, evil under this precept, but a human adult can be. Of course, harm can still be perpetuated, but that is a somewhat different and more complicated issue.

As to whether the Snarl is evil, one way or another, we have seen little to support how self-aware it truly is. If it is driven by “instinct” to strike at ordered systems (worlds) it may not have a true “choice” in the way that most organisms do not. If it has no real mind, then it purely a natural process. If it has a mind and seeks to destroy because it can or for some other negatuve reason, it is probably closer to evil.
    Last edited by Paleomancer; 2018-10-04 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Extraneous points
    2B or not 2B, that is... a really inane question

In communication and in fiction, what is intended and what is understood, rarely align even in the best of times. It even rarer for it to be the best of times.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    However, those gods would then need to gain worshippers somehow or else they'd be powerless, so I think it makes a bit more sense to assume that they started out with worshippers and ascended to godhood through the combined prayers of those people.
    I don't see how that contradicts what I am saying. As the Dark One proves, belief is all that is actually necessary for a mortal to ascend. However, Thor & Co seems to have been surprised by this ("he did it completely on his own", "somehow he tapped into an entirely new color of divine essence").

I don't see what is particularly surprising about gaining followers, since their are religions worshipping "rocks".

So it is possible that the Gods used to believe that while it was necessary for an ascending mortal to have worshippers, it wasn't enough and that nothing would happen if they did not get personnally involved. Until the Dark One proved them wrong.

That's just theorizing of course.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't see how that contradicts what I am saying. As the Dark One proves, belief is all that is actually necessary for a mortal to ascend. However, Thor & Co seems to have been surprised by this ("he did it completely on his own", "somehow he tapped into an entirely new color of divine essence").

I don't see what is particularly surprising about gaining followers, since their are religions worshipping "rocks".

So it is possible that the Gods used to believe that while it was necessary for an ascending mortal to have worshippers, it wasn't enough and that nothing would happen if they did not get personnally involved. Until the Dark One proved them wrong.

That's just theorizing of course.
    I think it's entirely possible that all the ascended gods before, through the power of belief, were slotted into existing pantheons rather then forming their own.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

What would "sponsorship" mean in this case?
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

What would "sponsorship" mean in this case?
    "Providing the quiddity that gave them their divine rank 0", I'd imagine. I mean, it makes sense: if to be a good you need quiddity, and mortal don't have it, and the gods don't know that sufficient belief will generate a random colour quiddity, they might call "sponsor" the process of infusing the belief target with quiddity until it becomes self-sustaining.

How they know it's time to sponsor someone I don't know, though.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-10-04 at 01:21 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    "Providing the quiddity that gave them their divine rank 0", I'd imagine. I mean, it makes sense: if to be a good you need quiddity, and mortal don't have it, and the gods don't know that sufficient belief will generate a random colour quiddity, they might call "sponsor" the process of infusing the belief target with quiddity until it becomes self-sustaining.

How they know it's time to sponsor someone I don't know, though.

Grey Wolf
    But that's what I am proposing, not woweedd.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

My real question on this issue is, can The Snarl even touch TDO? It lacks his color. The Dark One could conceivably ally with The Snarl, kill all the goblins and reap their souls, then help The Snarl kill off all the gods.

Thereafter, he could use The Snarl and all the other strands of creation to create a new world, a stronger world, a purple world. The Snarl would be powerless to interfere in it because it would be a five-color world, using the threads of creations past and adding in his own.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

My real question on this issue is, can The Snarl even touch TDO? It lacks his color.
    Nobody said that you needed to be the same color as something else to destroy it
    The Dark One could conceivably ally with The Snarl, kill all the goblins and reap their souls, then help The Snarl kill off all the gods.

Thereafter, he could use The Snarl and all the other strands of creation to create a new world, a stronger world, a purple world. The Snarl would be powerless to interfere in it because it would be a five-color world, using the threads of creations past and adding in his own.
    That's not an alliance, that would be the Dark One controling the Snarl, which we heve no reason to believe is possible.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

While "Chaotic Hungry" both fits in my mind and give me a chuckle. I hear echoes of H.P. Lovecraft's Azathoth.

Described as the blind idiot god, mindless god, etc.

Got introduced to this when I played "Call of Cthulu" in the mid to late '80s.

Azathoth is a mindless god that is more powerful than anything else in our universe, and seeing it or being near it will cause madness and death. The un-creation of sanity and existence.

Azathoth sleeps in an endless slumber in the center of a chaotic void and any attempts, in game, to "summon" it will cause immediate devastation over a wide area, 100s to 1000s of miles/kilometers. The game wanted a comparison to the Russian Tunguska Event for these "summonings".

I see the SNARL in a similar vein. Based on depictions so far, I see it as a mindless, angry, savage mad dog type with infinite destructive power. Incapable of actual evil because of mindlessness.

Because of its 4 quiddity creation, it is more real and more powerful than any single quiddity god. Including TDO.

Some quotes about Azathoth:

Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity — the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.
    H.P. Lovecraft, The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath.

Before his eyes a kaleidoscopic range of phantasmal images played, all of them dissolving at intervals into the picture of a vast, unplumbed abyss of night wherein whirled suns and worlds of an even profounder blackness. He thought of the ancient legends of Ultimate Chaos, at whose centre sprawls the blind idiot god Azathoth, Lord of All Things, encircled by his flopping horde of mindless and amorphous dancers, and lulled by the thin monotonous piping of a daemoniac flute held in nameless paws
    H.P. Lovecraft, The Haunter of the Dark
    Last edited by RaveDave92084; 2018-10-04 at 04:53 PM. Reason: don't need a comma after "mad dog"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

I still like the Doctor Who quote.

"Hardly anything is evil, but most things are hungry. Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery--or do you think your bacon sandwich loves you back?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyUl3rTt80c

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
    I still like the Doctor Who quote.

"Hardly anything is evil, but most things are hungry. Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery--or do you think your bacon sandwich loves you back?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyUl3rTt80c
    More evidence that old Doctor No isn't even all that smart. Evil isn't hunger, evil is malice. Galactus who eats planets because that's what he needs for sustenance is a sympathetic antagonist; Unicron who eats planets because he likes watching the little mortals scream in terror is an evil villain

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TARINunit9 View Post
    More evidence that old Doctor No isn't even all that smart. Evil isn't hunger, evil is malice. Galactus who eats planets because that's what he needs for sustenance is a sympathetic antagonist; Unicron who eats planets because he likes watching the little mortals scream in terror is an evil villain
    He did not said that it was the same thing (dude met Davros after all) he said that when you are something's food it is easy to confuse that thing's hunger for evil.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-10-06 at 04:50 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TARINunit9 View Post
    More evidence that old Doctor No isn't even all that smart.
    Well, considering how he handled Bond, you're probably right.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

The snarl is a child who does not know its own strength and it wanted its 4 groups of parents to stop fighting. After it "took out" one group of arguing parents the other 3 groups decided to send it to its room with no supper for a boundless number of worlds. The snarl who is a child is now just trying to get out of his room and "play."
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Right now, naive Canon is claiming that the Snarl destroys souls. But if you treat the Snarl as another universe, the assumption should be that the Snarl absorbs souls instead, not different from how a god absorbs souls in the afterlife.

The snarl, for that matter, has absorbed at least thousands of worlds the Gods refused to smash. This means that the Snarl has the soul power of hundreds of worlds, including Laser Snail. Being contained in the Divine Prison isn't that bad a deal for the Snarl, given that as an entity capable of challenging the Gods, every time the Gods feed it a world, it gets stronger.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Inst View Post
    Right now, naive Canon is claiming that the Snarl destroys souls. But if you treat the Snarl as another universe, the assumption should be that the Snarl absorbs souls instead, not different from how a god absorbs souls in the afterlife.

The snarl, for that matter, has absorbed at least thousands of worlds the Gods refused to smash. This means that the Snarl has the soul power of hundreds of worlds, including Laser Snail. Being contained in the Divine Prison isn't that bad a deal for the Snarl, given that as an entity capable of challenging the Gods, every time the Gods feed it a world, it gets stronger.
    Assuming that thats actually how the Snarl works at all, wouldnt that power quickly* waste away to nothing a la every other kind of soul power?

* on a metauniversal scale of thousands of years
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionReplay View Post
    Why does D&D have no Gollum? Why it does. You just can't see him. He is wearing his precious at the moment.
    There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inst View Post

You've got a few dubious assumptions there, including that the snarl absorbs souls, can do anything with them even if it does, and also that gods absorb souls. We have word of giant that souls eventually end up as cookie cutter soul power batteries that just stand around all day being soul power batteries for the gods.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Because I am saying that is specifically what the afterlife does. It makes you into a cookie-cutter clone of everyone of the same alignment. It may take centuries to do so, but all the people at the top of the mountain? Completely indistinguishable from one another. Arguably, that is the purpose of the D&D afterlife—to turn flawed mortal souls into perfect alignment-batteries, through various methodologies. In the Nine Hells, they torture you until you forget everything else. In Celestia, you meditate until you renounce all worldly concerns. In Valhalla, you party until you can't remember your own name. In Limbo, the chaos drives you mad. In Mechanus, you sit in grey cubicle stamping paperwork until you are bored into oblivion. And so on and so forth.
    It doesn't say anything about absorbing the souls. Admittedly, they might eventually, but it does also raise the question of what method the snarl is using to turn the souls into alignment batteries for it.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

The Snarl seems to be the result of what happens when something is several things at once. Elves being beautiful man-sized people living in the forest and short people making presents on the North pole, at the same time. They are the world's internal consistencies made manifest and as a result undoes itself and the things that create it.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    The snarl who is a child is now just trying to get out of his room and "play."
    Heh, I like your take on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant
    In Valhalla, you party until you can't remember your own name.
    Sign me up. (Actually, that sounds like a few port calls I made when I was in the Navy, and we partied with utter abandon).
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society