New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Inside 67: Shadow over Innside

[The First Wave]

He checks his watch and frowns, watching the couple standing a little ways down from the alley.
    They don't bother paying attention back, he's just some normal looking guy taking a cigarette break to them. This isn't the reality of the situation, but it is the perception.

It is a part played very deliberately, affected with slightly worn jeans and a rumpled white t-shirt. Mussed, short hair, uneven facial stubble on a dark complexion.
    Nothing important.

There's a subtle, wet noise from the alley behind him and he rolls his eyes.
    "Finally."
    Another casual glance towards the couple and he turns around, tossing the remnants of the cigarette to the ground.

Deeper within, a naked woman coated thickly with blood steps out from behind a dumpster, licking some of the fluid from her finger tips with a sensual joy.
    "Mmmmmm, he was a good one. Such a sad, sad man."
    A sharp shake of her head splatters blood from black hair and feline ears, along the walls around her. Following the disgusted look from the man, she gives him a coy smile and a little hip waggle.
    "Aw, poor baby's sensibilities rumpled? Fine...fine. I'll keep this one stashed for...later pleasures."

The man turns back around, looking away as another wet, tearing noise filters through the alley. He coughs over part of it, drawing a brief look and dismissal from the couple.
    Minutes later, perhaps three or four, and a filthy beggar man steps from the alley to join him on the street.
    "Le's get goin', aye?"
    "Remains?"
    "Eh, whut remains?"

There's another eye roll, after the beggar's quite chuckle, and the pair walks off down the street towards the deeper city.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    Ominous Alleyway

Anastasia crouches down over Layne as she begins to stir. Hello. He has gone. It's not... entirely clear who Anastasia is talking about. Xeni, I guess?
    Feeling thoroughly confused and out of place, Layne crawls away, an arm placed forward as a flimsy sort of shield.

Swiftly, she retrieves her phone and begins to dial it.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ominous Alleyway

Anastasia continues to stare and Layne as she dials. You are unhurt. She eventually decides.

She rises back to her feet. He treated you. She motions toward Ibby, before continuing to loom ominously as Ibby and Layne presumably sort out their business.

Autumnal Equinox Ball

Fade and Fairy Godfather

You need to take a risk sometimes Fade dear. Derryth says, slightly pointedly. And the higher the risk the higher the profit. Ilar adds, spearing some of his desert to mark the point.

Naku and Ithuriel

Einion raises his hands in a shrug. What is the tree to a branch? It is all I have known, since time immemorial. If I had to proffer something I'd say... changeable. He says, gesticulating with one hand as he searches for the word. Afterall, you... oh my I'm sorry I don't believe you ever introduced yourselves? He adds, leaving the question implied.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

Autumnal Equinox Ball
    Anchor and Alex

You need to make your mark, Alex. Meinir agrees. Passivity just shows the higher ups that they don't need to consider your opinions when they make the decisions. Alex your parents are worried about your future prospects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Alex smiles deviously.
    ”Oh, I’ll get my turn. But showing ambition this soon would reflect poorly on me. Patience is an important virtue. I’ll push when I’m in a position to do so.” Alex promises them.
    Then she goes back to eating.
    "Sounds like someone needs to not draw attention to herself. I mean, for a particular reason." You're not fooling anyone, Alex. Your shadow gave you away! Anchor smiles like she's giving Alex a wink, though with her glasses it's not exactly clear.

Hmm. When does the next course show up? This fruit and chocolate thing...no good.

"I suppose that's why I never ended up in an organization like that. Distant people making all the decisions, people judging you for wanting to contribute, no thanks." She's pretty sure Inari's temple isn't actually a bureaucratic nightmare, but perhaps on the ground Tamamo's really is stifling? No, it's probably just Alex's scheme, whatever that is. But Anchor can respond to it all the same.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2018-10-09 at 04:06 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #125

[Ominous Street]

"You did sustain a minor head injury, miss," Ib'bahali points out. "You may want to try to remain still until emergency personnel arrive and check you."

Did he call the local hospital?

Probably.

Or he was going to!

He just finished up the baffle when the woman started to rouse.

Wouldn't want emergency personal being exposed to the Yellow Sign if it can be avoided.

"For what it's worth, the person who assaulted you ran away," he adds.

That is a very true statement.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

AEB- Fade & the Godfather

"Leprechauns have a rep. That reputation is of a rich, fashionable, suave minor fey that can't be trusted. Nobody'd hire me for a low-ranked position- they'd think I'm too good for the job and would flake out. Nobody'd hire me for a higher position, as a manager or whatever, because they wouldn't trust me not to abuse whatever power they gave me. And if ever I tried spending gold, nobody'd accept it. So all that's left is self-employment. Besides, danger is fun. I'd rather do what I do than be some worthless desk jockey or shelf-stacker or worse." The higher the risk, the greater the profit, and the more fun Paddy has. Paddy would happily go bankrupt tomorrow, so long as he enjoyed the journey down. And then enjoy his rise back up again.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Bob View Post
    [Kingdom Kingdom Contemporary]

Odd name for a gallery, is a thought that some should probably be having here.
    But the situation is a bit too concerning for such silly things.

"Handle the people, Yu."
    From on Xeni's shoulder, Yurioc looks over the crowd of people and gives a little mousey sigh.
    That usual blue glow pulses from his eyes as a wave of thought moves outwards.

For anyone without any good mental defenses, the gallery begins to abruptly rumble, shake, and collapse.
    A cackling howl rises from within the crumbling building and inexplicable, hideous forms can be seen moving beyond the dust.

It's a bit of mental tampering, aimed at making the place generally incredibly unsafe and terrifying to go to for any average person.

Which is an opportunity that Xeni will take to slip up towards the front of the line. Subsequent action varies a little here, depending on whether the door is still locked or not.
    Dozens of potential patrons begin to flee as soon as Yurioc's magics take effect, many of which begin to call Intersection.

The door, fortunately, is not locked. Merely closed.

--

[Collapsed Building]

Having phoned Intersection as quickly as possible, Layne begins to flee, unable to form words.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Xeni lets himself in, repeating that not-quite comprehensible word he spoke with Layne earlier, erecting a barrier across the front of the building.
    No else in. No one else out. At least not through the front.

Consequently, over at the alley, that barrier disappears!

"Can you give me a filter, Yu? I don't want to turn a corner and look onto a whole wall of mind-infection without any time to react."
    I can supply something basic. Having expunged my intimate knowledge of the symbol, I cannot make a comprehensive filter.
    "Whatever you can give me."

Another blue pulse from the mouse, which settles in a somewhat visor-y form over Xeni's eyes.
    Basic is very accurate: it's simply going to black out all the paintings in the building when they swing into sight.

Now! Off to go find someone who works here, before the panic sets in.
    Absentee Spirit

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurrack

Kurrack's eyes widen, and his beak... smiles?

I get an excuse to piss off Hades, Lucifer, Khorne, and half a dozen other of your human deities? Sign me up.

- - - Updated - - -

Kurrack

Kurrack suddenly dies because he wasnt given a chance to make up for a stupid joke.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [AEB - Martatina]

"Oh, honey, I have no idea what you mean," says Tina, taking note of everything that passes over Cantata's face. As desert begins to arrive, the chrome gal digs in, taking a moment between bites to glance at Marina.

"Oh! Yeah! On the invitation, right." You did get one of those, right Tina? "And thank you. It was my first time doing it, too. I'm naturally graceful, though." Tina gives a serious nod.
    I'm scared to ask what actually counts as forward for you. Cantata remarks, in her usual, playful manner. She raises her eyebrows in delight at the arrival of the newest course, and digs in with clear relish. While she still maintains a fair bit of decorum about her dining, the songstress can't help but hide the enthusiasm for the decadent dessert. In truth, it's been a while since she had gotten a chance to attend a high-class event like this. The food is always the best part.

Well, second best, she corrects herself, glancing back at the two gorgeous beauties beside her.

I'm glad people enjoyed the show, I certainly won't forget it. That is... unless you can think of a way to top it? The songstress asks Marina as she leans closer, giving her a daring little look that was just begging for her to take the challenge even as a sparkle of good-natured cheer glimmered in her amber gaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Halae View Post
    [Red Zone - Chatting in an Alley]

"Probably," Amity says, tucking away the bloody rag, "People with feline ears aren't exactly common where I come from either."

Tank, meanwhile, leans down to SNIFF Blanche's hair, which will likely cause her entire head to be taken slightly off balance by the sudden movement of wind.
    The woman nods. "I'll admit they're a rarity on my home as well, clearly not unheard of though."

She pauses as a thought occurs to her and opens her mouth to voice it, before Tank takes a sudden interest in the strange new woman before him. Stumbling just the slightest bit forward and waving her arms a little to steady herself, the catgirl blinks in surprise as she processes what just happened.

Tank, meanwhile, would reap the rewards of his investigations. Blanche smells pleasant, like lilacs, but her perfume masked an enduring odor of oil and gunshot residue. An even softer, fainter odor of cigarette smoke clung to her jacket, and a tinge of alcohol lingered on her breath. And of course, there was a feline quality to her thanks to the ears and tail.

Hopefully he doesn't have any allergies.

"So, um... would you like to grab a drink, or something?" Blanche asks, trying with some level of success to play off the slightly off-putting interruption she had just experienced. There was a tint of awkwardness to her request as well, as if she was unsure what she was supposed to do here; she didn't really do this sort of thing often, asking anyone if they wanted to go and do... things. Just, like, in general.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2018-11-03 at 02:08 PM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

11. - Top - End - #131

[Ominous Street]

Ib'bahali will allow the woman to flee?

He does say, "Miss, you really shouldn't be moving around," but she's already gone.

Not like people should listen to him.

Not like he's a diviner or anything, able to draw secrets form the lips of the cosmos itself.

Not like he would have any idea what he's talking about, no sir.

"Umm... Miss Ogre?" he asks somewhat hesitantly. "Would it be possible for you to follow our friend at a respectable distance and make sure nothing unbecoming happens to her?"

He's really hoping the ogre will listen and not eat his legs instead.

He's really attached to his legs.

That said...

Now he'll wait!

For Intersection to arrive!

So he can inform them that they're dealing with a class four, potentially class five memetic cognitohazard outbreak.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Autumnal Equinox Ball]

[King in Rags]

"I would have, if I'd been able to," the King in Rags says. "But the world shook as I fell. I took what revenge I could in telling the fae loyal to me never to trust the blood of Gol again and not to give them an inch. To this day, many fae are hostile to them, and the traitors don't know why."

The King in Rags them turns his gaze to Felandria again.

"You, I and our hosts know what timelessness and immortality mean, daughter of Thunder," he says. "But if someone was only ever mortal... they cannot grasp it. They're bound by time and they can't think past it. And sadly, my erstwhile servants proved to be very mortal in this regard. I do hope your search of immortality and your birthright goes well."
    Felandria reaches out a sympathetic hand towards the KIR.

And I hope that you may eventually find yourself returned to where it is you truly belong, dear sir.

She takes a sip of water and begins eating.

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

13. - Top - End - #133

"I take some risks every day." he says. "I'm just not in a simular position as him."

"It sounds rather hard to get into anything with your kinds reputation. Trading seems to be a major thing unless you can provide yourself with the nessesary things. My kind is limited to my world. most wouldn't stand this world for several reasons. Im an exception, at least for some parts.
    But if your OK with this way I don't argue."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

14. - Top - End - #134

Ominous Alleyway

Anastasia watches Layne run off impassively. Good deed for the day done and she didn't even get anything from it. Shows her. Next time, rifle through her pockets first.

She turns away from Layne only to find this small person talking to her again.

Ah, he's asking the 10ft tall zombie ogre to discreetly follow someone for no appreciable gain.

<$100 US> She tells Ibby. Better decide quick, Layne's getting away!

Autumnal Equinox Ball

Fade and Godfather

You don't take every risk. Derryth, give it up. Fade is clearly not interested. She starts poking at her desert dejectedly. How do you mean, an exception? Just your natural charisma, perhaps? Ilar asks Fade, not above teasing him a little himself.

Cantata, Fettina, Marina

Gosh they were being forward. She really should have considered this possibility more thoroughly. She thought she had driven Cantata off a bit with that scene she made in the Den. She just... it wouldn't be right. Not yet.

I think you have found plenty of... enjoyment for yourself. Marina says, smiling at Cantata. Naturally graceful enjoyment.

Anchor and Alex

Well, make sure your patience isn't stagnation. Easiest way to the bottom, that.

Ah, but, Anchor - surely you are part of just such an organisation. Just... approaching from the top? Meinir does not know if Message has a temple but she assumes so. Her player doesn't know either which makes this roleplay extremely authentic.

Show

15. - Top - End - #135

[Ominous Alleyway]

"Oh for goodness sake..."
    Ib'bahali mutters as he withdraws his wallet. "I try to avoid carrying too much cash on my person," he complains as she fingers through the bills. "And I live on Arkham Street. The money there is still on the gold standard and worth considerably more than what you would find in more 'advanced' parts of the city."

With a frown, he withdraws four bank notes from his wallet and gives them a mournful look.

"I have twenty. But that's worth a little over two hundred and fifty in Monopoly Money, if my calculation on inflation rates is accurate. I'm afraid it's the best I can do."

Hopefully the ogre takes it.

And doesn't rip off his arm along with the cash.

Because like his legs, he's pretty attached to his arm.

He waves the bills at the ogre and hopes for the best.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

"Independent totally legitimate businessmen, that's what leprechauns do. That or conmen." More leprechaun conmen than gangsters, so Paddy's a bit unusual. He'll wait to hear Fade's answer, though. Fade's interesting in a rather bland way.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

17. - Top - End - #137

Arkham Street - Alley

Cassidy doesn't have any magic ability to see in the dark, but her eyes do adjust to darkness quicker than normal - another perk of being an adept. For now, though, she's in the dark. "Cripes, I'll have to go buy some floodlights once this place is mine." She liked mood lighting as much as anyone else, but there was a difference between that and not knowing where you're going.

She hears the sounds of footsteps from her right, and sighs a little. "Hey if anyone wants to just surrender and show me to this place's boss, I'm game."

Mazino's

"It isn't my model's purpose. I'm supposed to be a soldier, and not much else." Onora shrugs as well, then blinks. "I don't... really know. I've actually never been on a date before. I know the dang Pod said I had, but I'm pretty sure that was just when she and I went off to the desert to fight machines together. This is all pretty new to me." Her eyes cast downward somewhat. She gets to meet a real human, a cute one too, and she's sure she's blowing it.

Bayt Alshay

"What sort of markets do you have that do not sell simple food?" Iamar says, with her eyes wide open. Then she shakes her head. "I am sorry, I should not ask such questions of your home. I'm sure your food is only different."

Fishery

Iamar's eyes narrow as she turns towards the movement, lowering her stance and placing a hand on the hilt of her sword, making soft and silent steps toward the thing in the shadows. She also signals to Felandria with her free hand to back her up - she still wasn't sure what her sword was even capable of against these shadow things.
    Last edited by Devixer; 2018-10-10 at 09:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138

4972 Darkwood Lane
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "Yes, let's." The more they hear the drow talk, Kurrack and Anima may become more certain that something is off with his voice. It's far deeper than would be expected from someone of his stature and seems to be coming from a few feet above his head. "There's something I want. A device which I need to solve a puzzle. There's only one problem. It's in Hell." He pauses. "I'm not confident enough in my own skills to break in on my own, so I would like to hire you two as bodyguards and assistants for the trip. I will pay quite handsomely for the service." The drow reaches to his belt pouch and pulls out a fistful of glittering rubies, which he shows to the two visitors. "Half down, half on completion, of course."
    ((Such a shame when out-of-character things make some disappear in the middle of a scene. Anima's narrator, for one, is going to pretend Kurrack turned down the job and left.))

The wolf-woman looks down at the rubies. She'd been hoping this was more tied to the nature of hell itself, rather than a mission that happened to take place in Hell. On the other, much stronger hand, that's a lot of gems. They could really use that kind of treasure.
    And she's been to hell. She's beaten an archdevil! How bad can this-you know, let's not even finish that thought.
    "I'm interested. But you're going to have to be level. Know what I'm walking into. Lose the disguise."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

4972 Darkwood Lane

"Blessed thing doesn't work now, does it? Very well then." The drow reaches up and unclasps his cape with a flourish, but as be takes it off, there's a flash of light, and standing where the dashing dark elf was, there's a scaly green creature. He stands between 10 and 11 feet tall, with four arms, the upper pair of which end in serrated bone blades instead of hands. He wears a white T-shirt with a logo for something called the "Knaves of Labor" on it, and a pair of blue jeans, along with a simple leather belt with a single burlap pouch hanging from it. "Better?"
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Temperance Teahouse]

The proper time to be taught things! Reinholdt smiles at Annie. "If you respect them properly though, you can use these tools to protect people. Like your younger siblings that are coming." She can protect them like a good big sister!

"So don't worry. I promise to show you it one day when we go to a firing range where it's safe for that kind of thing, alright? Whenever your mom decides you're old enough of course." Uh-oh. A caveat in which she needs to be older. Things like this are why kids are so eager to grow up.
    [Temperance Teahouse]

"Um, okay." Annie would normally kick up a fuss at that, but she's been cowed now.

"I'm sure that'll be fun someday." Kitsuki adds. Annie's quite young for all of that, though, so she's not sure when that'd actually happen. "We should probably head out soon, though. Obi's waiting for us at home." She adds. She's even finished her tea. (When did she order that? It must have happened sometime right?)

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Xeni lets himself in, repeating that not-quite comprehensible word he spoke with Layne earlier, erecting a barrier across the front of the building.
    No else in. No one else out. At least not through the front.

Consequently, over at the alley, that barrier disappears!

"Can you give me a filter, Yu? I don't want to turn a corner and look onto a whole wall of mind-infection without any time to react."
    I can supply something basic. Having expunged my intimate knowledge of the symbol, I cannot make a comprehensive filter.
    "Whatever you can give me."

Another blue pulse from the mouse, which settles in a somewhat visor-y form over Xeni's eyes.
    Basic is very accurate: it's simply going to black out all the paintings in the building when they swing into sight.

Now! Off to go find someone who works here, before the panic sets in.
    Finding someone working at the gallery proves to be a bit of a task, for very few employees appear present. After several moments, a particularly bored looking younger person can be found emerging from a bathroom on the side. Stammering, he glances over.

"Uhh, you're not supposed to be here, man??"

22. - Top - End - #142

Ominous Alleyway

Anastasia takes the money wordlessly and starts trudging off in the same direction Layne went.

She... might be doing what you wanted her to? That's the right direction at least!

Show

23. - Top - End - #143

Default [4972 Darkwood Lane]

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "Blessed thing doesn't work now, does it? Very well then." The drow reaches up and unclasps his cape with a flourish, but as be takes it off, there's a flash of light, and standing where the dashing dark elf was, there's a scaly green creature. He stands between 10 and 11 feet tall, with four arms, the upper pair of which end in serrated bone blades instead of hands. He wears a white T-shirt with a logo for something called the "Knaves of Labor" on it, and a pair of blue jeans, along with a simple leather belt with a single burlap pouch hanging from it. "Better?"
    Anima crosses her arms, tilts her head up to address the lizard monster, and smiles. He's big, huh? Maybe this wasn't the best idea.
    "It didn't cover your voice. Plus this house is clearly made for a giant."

"Now, why are you solving this puzzle? What's behind the answer?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Autumnal Equinox Ball - Feia, Kramolagh, Jack, and Fae]

Looks like Kramolagh is fine.
    Looks like everyone but the fae girl is fine.
    Some hurt emotions and minor concerns, but no actual damage to anyone that matters. Jack's trauma is ultimately unimportant, though Feia does watch with a certain hawk-like focus.
    Weakness.

"That seemed like a terrible amount of effort and mess for little gain. I almost feel disappointed on her behalf."
    Then Maldwyn is back to being a pain and Feia tries really hard to resist the urge to just eat him.
    "I have no such troubles in my little metaphorical abode. My acquaintance with Affidavit is very passing, certainly not enough for relevance to his decisions."

That's fair. He really isn't supposed to be here.

Xeni proceeds to not care about this fact, keeping a somewhat grim look on his face and tapping the watch that doesn't exist on his wrist.
    "There's an emergency underway, of the sort that's going to get a lot of people killed. A hostile entity has cursed certain images with a contagious effect. I need your help to keep as many people out of coffins as I can."

Let's try the heroic conscription tactic. A lot of everyday joes secretly wish they could help save the world, let's give this one the opportunity.
    Last edited by Chaotic Bob; 2018-10-11 at 07:17 PM.
    Absentee Spirit

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

AEB- Anchor and Alex

Alex shakes her head innocently.
    ”There’s a time and place for everything. If the vixens are too aware of how I’ll be their boss one day they won’t want to let me in on all thejuicy gossip, you see?” she insists.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Arkham Street - Alley

With Sentry Woman and Cloak Moron no longer a threat and Greg having left the scene, there's nobody to stop or delay Cassidy as she fumbles through the keys trying to find the correct one.. Except the fox, but he's just a fox so he doesn't do anything.

Eventually, on the second-to-last key (Why is the key you're looking for never the first one you try?), the key fits in well and actually turns. The door unlocks and is able to be opened inwards.

Inside...how much Cassidy can see depends on how well she can see in the dark. There's definitely one person in robes lying on the ground right by the door, making it hard to open the door all the way. Probably asleep. Farther in, there's one other person on the ground, unmoving, and they had a flashlight in their hand. They're both still alive, though. Someone is definitely bleeding as evidenced by the blood on the floor (and it's neither of the two on the ground) and just off to the left there's two people struggling with each other, one with a knife in hand and the other...well, with this lighting, it's a little hard to see but a combination of the light from the street and the dim backlights farther in, it seems like there's...tentacles on one of the person's face? Maybe? Seriously, the lighting is bad in here.

If one listens closely enough, there's also footsteps coming up stairs. The stairs are just off to the right. The person coming up the stairs also has a "magic" knife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devixer View Post
    Arkham Street - Alley

Cassidy doesn't have any magic ability to see in the dark, but her eyes do adjust to darkness quicker than normal - another perk of being an adept. For now, though, she's in the dark. "Cripes, I'll have to go buy some floodlights once this place is mine." She liked mood lighting as much as anyone else, but there was a difference between that and not knowing where you're going.

She hears the sounds of footsteps from her right, and sighs a little. "Hey if anyone wants to just surrender and show me to this place's boss, I'm game."
    [Arkham Street - Alley Hideout]

Hearing that someone else came in here (and not knowing if the new person is friendly or not), Awen tries to quickly finish off the guy she's fighting with, with a well-aimed kick between the legs. Whether it was because the hit was actually that powerful, or because the guy succumbs to poison and is unable to move, that one guy is unable to get up after hitting the ground.

Awen, who has no trouble 'seeing' in the dark, looks over to Cassidy. She's actually somewhat glad that the new woman doesn't seem to be able to see Awen all that well, so she takes this opportunity to put the veils back over her head and face. "Um," she says tentatively, "I think maybe they're cultists. Or something. They all seem to come from downstairs."

Once her eyes adjust, Cassidy should be able to see, in addition to the people already down, that this first floor is pretty boring. There's a couple rooms offshooting from this foyer, probably including a bathroom, a dorm room, an office room, a couple sofas and a plastic potted plant, and that down the stairs is a faint light bouncing off the walls, probably candlelight or a fireplace from the warmth of the light...and there's probably only a couple more people downstairs.

Speaking of the stairs, the guy on the right finally makes it up the stairs. He shouts something that sounds like nonsense. Awen casts some sort of invisible and silent spell at the guy, but it appears to have failed so she starts planning a different magic.

The guy with the knife charges straight towards Cassidy, because she's closer. He lunges with his "magic" knife.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Halfling in the Playground

[Docks]

"You're giving her too much credit. She would think me disposed of and not bother herself with trifling police movements, at this stage of her plans."
    Edict really doesn't seem terribly bothered by Affidavit's anger being directed at him.
    He has other issues at the moment.
    "Technically, I haven't done anything but sit here on the ground for the past...I don't really know how long it's been. I lost count. Page, however, got bored."

There's more of that tittering laughter from somewhere off in the corner, beneath the Pink.
    "Who did quite the job of distracting said police enough to not thoroughly check the warehouse, just yet."

As he talks, he finishes his adjustments to the circle on the ground and breathes outwards, in a peculiarly heavy manner.
    The additional marks he made flicker a bit, before spiraling around like snakes that devour the various components of the original circle. It's a peculiar sight, but a quick one, that resolves with the 'snakes' crawling up Edict's legs in a train of flickering runes.

After a moment of this, he stands up and stretches a bit, looking more like a peculiarly colorless man with leg tattoos, than his usual wispy shade of a self.
    "Page, get your sample. Professor, relax."

A trail of Pink billows, like a breeze has blown through it, off towards where Ithuriel flung that chunk of her arm.
    [Docks]

"Hrmm. Much as you are aware of things that I am not, I know of things you don't." Affidavit watches the goings-on below him with a disgruntled expression. "She would think you disposed of? That's it? Pretend to die in some manner and hope she never checks if the "corpse" is just playing dead? Relying on a dragon's arrogance is a foolish strategy, Edict. And as long as there is the risk of her squeezing information out of you, it denies me the ability to confide in you to any degree."

Which makes this all rather bothersome. This is almost making him miss the stupid play-acting Magtok engaged in. They were basically just planning directly with the occasional "not" thrown in for good measure, though probably to little actual effect against whatever nonsense contract the stupid cyborg signed up to. "Let me put it this way. I have a pressing need to make sure Feia has no easy means of leverage she can apply against me. And you-" He jabs his cane in Edict's direction for emphasis, "Are leverage. Relying on her ignorance is not good enough. I have a solution I can put into action now. Do you have an alternative? And are you really going to persist in antagonising Intersection? I am curious as to what you gain from this...aside from giving your mist-creature a snack."

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    AEB: N&I

Naku nods a few times. She supposes that's fair. Not holding her to higher standards than his own court.
    That was fair.
    Everything is just . . . fine.
    The food doesn't seem quite as good, though. The laughter as genuine.

The light does help, even just a bit. But Naku is honestly just glad that the subject has changed.

Autumnal Equinox Ball

Naku and Ithuriel

Einion raises his hands in a shrug. What is the tree to a branch? It is all I have known, since time immemorial. If I had to proffer something I'd say... changeable. He says, gesticulating with one hand as he searches for the word. Afterall, you... oh my I'm sorry I don't believe you ever introduced yourselves? He adds, leaving the question implied.
    [AEB N&I]

Unfortunately there's not much more Ithuriel can do beyond the golden glowyness. She flashes another comforting smile Naku's way, but that's about all she can really do.

Got to just keep being polite! Just keep being polite...

"Did we not introduce ourselves? My apologies, I am Lady Von Holstav, acting as Intersection's representative to your delightful ball, and accompanying My Lady here purely through some divine stroke of luck. I have no doubt that, if I had not bumped into her so quickly, there would have been any number of people ready and willing to accompany her for the evening."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

28. - Top - End - #148

Autumnal Equinox Ball
    Anchor and Alex

Well, make sure your patience isn't stagnation. Easiest way to the bottom, that.

Ah, but, Anchor - surely you are part of just such an organisation. Just... approaching from the top? Meinir does not know if Message has a temple but she assumes so. Her player doesn't know either which makes this roleplay extremely authentic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Alex shakes her head innocently.
    ”There’s a time and place for everything. If the vixens are too aware of how I’ll be their boss one day they won’t want to let me in on all thejuicy gossip, you see?” she insists.
    "What? No; we're not like that. I know all our clerics, and we have systems to make sure they don't get in each others' way. We want to encourage initiative, you know? I mean, it's true that the closer to Message you get, the more responsibilities you have, but it's things you wanted to do."
    Anchor protests. Then again, their organization is rather smaller than Tamamo's. it's not hard to know all the clergy when there's like 4 of them. They certainly don't have anything like Foxside, with its dozens of priests, uncountable worshipers, private army...

"Secondly, it's more like I'm off to the side of the organization."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

With a glazed expression over his face, the teenager looks on and blinks for several seconds.

"...Sir, what?"

[Fleeing - Layne]

Now night has truly fallen, and Layne rushes through the streets in a panic, unable to see very well as she's accidentally wandered into a particularly poor section of the city, where much of the electrical system has yet to have come back online after a recent altercation at the power plant nearby.

After ten minutes or so, exhausted, slender legs aching and sore, Layne is suddenly grabbed.

--

Something claws at her ankle, tearing flesh and causing her to cry out before cracking her head once more against the ground. It only takes a few unsettling seconds for the outstretched hand within the nearby storm grate to quickly pull her in, causing her to vanish.

By the time Anastasia has caught up to her scent, she has gone.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Docks]

"Die and acquire a measure of freedom, live and be a god, either is welcome."
    Edict shrugs a bit and continues staring off towards where there are some unpleasant chewing noises within the Pink.

"There will never be a time that she cannot 'squeeze' the knowledge she wishes, Professor, if she gets her hand on me. Same as with anyone else in this city. All you will change is a small layer of inconvenience...which I can impart as long as she doesn't see me long enough to undo this ward and act upon her control."
    The snake-glyph covered limb is gestured towards.
    "I spent a long time studying her sigil craft, both for that god-seal and basic concealing work. What do you have that's so wonderful?"

Maybe Edict is talking this up a bit. Maybe not.
    Maybe he's not too worried about it because that blonde-haired head poking its top out of the mist is amusing him terribly.
    "Besides, it's not just a snack. It's opportunity."

Oh no, is this one also on drugs?
    Xeni struggles desperately with the urge to not slap himself in the face.
    "There's danger. I need help. Can you help? Or point me towards someone who can?"
    Absentee Spirit