New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The space elevator

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    the tip of the section just below the break would likely become supersonic. Falling paper typically isn't held in 7 GPa tension before it's released.
    Falling paper attempting to travel supersonically through the air would not last long. Neither would the ribbon. Heck, as someone pointed out in another thread, it doesn't take much more than a forgotten duck tape to disintegrate a supersonic jet, and those things are at least nominally designed to survive the process of going supersonic.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Falling paper attempting to travel supersonically through the air would not last long. Neither would the ribbon. Heck, as someone pointed out in another thread, it doesn't take much more than a forgotten duck tape to disintegrate a supersonic jet, and those things are at least nominally designed to survive the process of going supersonic.

Grey Wolf
    The ribbon would have very different properties from the paper--structurally, it would be closer to a multi-kilometer-long bullwhip, made of a very strong material that doesn't burn easily. Both the scale of the structure and the lack of extensive materials data on the proposed nanotube cable complicate matters--calculating the impact velocity of a space elevator's carbon nanotube cable (with, say, a 0.2cm x 5cm rectangular cross-section) that was broken at 30km altitude while under 7 GPa of tensile stress is something that's sufficiently far beyond typical aerodynamics problems that I wouldn't necessarily be confident in a single computer model's answer, but on a scale of "5 tons of falling paper" to "God's Own Bullwhip" I would definitely expect the correct answer to fall significantly closer to the latter.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Specific gravity is used in plenty of places where the primary interest is not just buoyancy in water. The important feature of specific gravity is that it is a dimensionless measure of density. This means there is no possibility of confusion when communicating with people who use different unit systems. As long as they're used to using the term specific gravity the way it is normally used in technical communication, that is.
    So the problem is people getting confused which units are being used because people don't properly name which one they're using, and the solution was introducing yet another standard specifically designed to be dimensionless so nobody will put a unit next to it? Brilliant.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

The ribbon would have very different properties from the paper--structurally, it would be closer to a multi-kilometer-long bullwhip, made of a very strong material that doesn't burn easily.
    I'm sorry, what? It's made of carbon. It will burn if it tries to enter air at supersonic speeds. And the sections already in the atmosphere won't be going fast enough in the dense soup that is the atmosphere. Your claims make no sense. You need to present some kind of evidence that what you are saying is not fear mongering.

on a scale of "5 tons of falling paper" to "God's Own Bullwhip" I would definitely expect the correct answer to fall significantly closer to the latter.
    OK, and I definitely expect it to fall significantly closer to the former. And I'm backed by everything I have read on the topic - literally the only time I have found it to be otherwise are simulations on an airless planet. What backs up your assertion?

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-11-01 at 08:18 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

If the break is within earth's atmosphere, I'm going with "god's bullwhip" for approximately 1 second, at which point it will be "4 tons of smouldering, unconstrained feathers". The other 3996 tons are probably in space
    Tug of War has a surprisingly bloody history1, and with the space elevator, we're essentially playing Tug of War with the GSO Space Station. So yes, there will be a LOT of potential energy stored in the tension of the ribbon. But the atmosphere is big compared to that energy, and should be able to absorb that energy before it causes significant damage to the surface of the planet. I'm not exactly certain what will happen to the "half" of the ribbon in space, though. With no atmosphere to slow it down, it could be pretty destructive to anything it comes into contact with.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    If the break is within earth's atmosphere, I'm going with "god's bullwhip" for approximately 1 second, at which point it will be "4 tons of smouldering, unconstrained feathers". The other 3996 tons are probably in space
    Tug of War has a surprisingly bloody history1, and with the space elevator, we're essentially playing Tug of War with the GSO Space Station. So yes, there will be a LOT of potential energy stored in the tension of the ribbon. But the atmosphere is big compared to that energy, and should be able to absorb that energy before it causes significant damage to the surface of the planet. I'm not exactly certain what will happen to the "half" of the ribbon in space, though. With no atmosphere to slow it down, it could be pretty destructive to anything it comes into contact with.
    Issac Newton is the deadliest son of a @#$% in space, after all. I think the point, as you say, is that with the energies involved with a space elevator get loose, you're in "needs specifically designed heat shielding to last any length of time." "God's own bullwhip" is a lot less scary when it destroys itself mid swing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Diamonds are also carbon, they probably burn a bit, but not that much I think.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It's entirely possible to burn a diamond if you get it hot enough--it's just people aren't usually daft enough to do that, since a diamond is worth considerably more as a diamond than it is as carbon dioxide.

9. - Top - End - #159

Depends on temperature and the presence of oxygen. There are (or I guess, were, since I haven't watched in a long time) videos on YouTube of people torching gems in a chem lab to demonstrate different properties (spectrography is the one I remember).

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

It's not even all that complicated.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Diamonds burn at around 900 degrees C in air, and sooner in pure oxygen. (Source: a very quick google, feel free to correct me.)

Diamonds already start to convert into graphite around 700 degrees, and graphite has an ignition temperature of only 400 degrees, so whether you are actually going to see much diamond burning is a bit of a question, but it's certainly not the hardest thing ever to burn. Most metals melt don't melt until somewhere around 1500 degrees C.

Ignition temperatures for carbon nanotubes are a bit harder to come by, but this source suggests it's 610 degrees for that specific variety. So it's not going to be that much more resistant then diamond.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

On the other hand, carbon-fiber reinforced carbon was used for the hottest parts on the surface of the Space Shuttle, which usually managed a successful re-entry without burning through. So it depends on details, not just on the elemental composition -- carbon, rhenium, or whatever.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I wasn't saying that diamond doesn't burn, obviously everything does if it gets hot enough.

The question is, does it get through the atmosphere before it's burnt up?

For a 1000 mile wide asteroid vs a 100 mile atmosphere, the answer is obviously it's not burnt. For a mile thick cable, it's not so clear cut, for a 10 Ft thick cable it is pretty clearly the case that not much will reach the ground, but is that enough width to support a space elevator?

We can put this thing so it will fall into the Pacific, and avoid building in it's wake, the higher sections aren't a problem, we can cut them before they're a problem if it does fall.

There is a human economics problem, if the price of housing land in the "shadow" of the space elevator falls, people will build there because it's cheaper, especially because the developers won't be living in the developments they build.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-11-01 at 12:16 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

If the cable breaks, you really wouldn't want to be next to it, because of the shockwave propagating downwards at around 25000 m/s, gaining energy as the tension that broke the tether (100 gigapascals!) is released the whole way. I'm not sure whether this force would shred the cable, but if not, it would absolutely destroy whatever the cable is mounted to. On both ends. Unless the station has been built to not be in the way of this happening

Once released, and the initial shockwave dispersed, the carbon nanotube cable will destroy everything unlucky enough to be in it's path simply float away. We're talking about one of the lightest solids known to man.
    "The error is to be human"

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So the problem is people getting confused which units are being used because people don't properly name which one they're using, and the solution was introducing yet another standard specifically designed to be dimensionless so nobody will put a unit next to it? Brilliant.
    Well, I've been using and thinking in terms of specific gravity for most of three decades now, so, yes. I think it is a pretty brilliant and successful solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    It actually is pretty useful. If a material's SG is greater than 1, it'll sink. If it's less than 1, it'll float. We humans all have a pretty decent idea of how dense water is, and so comparing the density of other materials to it gives us an instant idea of just how dense they are. 165 lb/ft3? I have no idea how dense that is. But telling me it's got a Specific Gravity of 2.65 instantly lets me know it'll sink in water, and gives me an idea of how dense it is.

Plus, if you use metric units (and really, why wouldn't you, if you're not living in one of the three backward countries that refuses to use them) SG = density in g/cm3 (through the simple magic that a gram is the mass of 1 ml of pure water at 4oC)
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Plus, if you use metric units (and really, why wouldn't you, if you're not living in one of the three backward countries that refuses to use them) SG = density in g/cm3 (through the simple magic that a gram is the mass of 1 ml of pure water at 4oC)
    Exactly. So it doesn't change my values a lot, but it prevents me from accurately pointing out which units I'm using.

I'm sure it works fine in all those places that use it as the standard, I just thought a unitless measure was a funny solution if the problem was "people don't name their units so we never know which one they're using".

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

It actually is pretty useful. If a material's SG is greater than 1, it'll sink. If it's less than 1, it'll float. We humans all have a pretty decent idea of how dense water is, and so comparing the density of other materials to it gives us an instant idea of just how dense they are. 165 lb/ft3? I have no idea how dense that is. But telling me it's got a Specific Gravity of 2.65 instantly lets me know it'll sink in water, and gives me an idea of how dense it is.

This seems less like an argument for specific gravity and more like an argument for just using the metric system. Which I'm entirely on board with, especially for calculations.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    This seems less like an argument for specific gravity and more like an argument for just using the metric system. Which I'm entirely on board with, especially for calculations.
    SHHHHHH, if they know that, we won't be able to sneak it past the Imperialists!