New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Venom - Turd in the Wind

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Venom is still playing in theaters, in fact it remains on top ten in the US box office. Additionally, it just opened in China this weekend, to a truly absurd amount of money.
    Yeah it had a $110 million opening in China.

It's made almost $700 million worldwide now so there is 100% going to be a sequel.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

And I still haven't had to opportunity to go see it either...Dammit!
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

I happen to have gone see it in a chinese cinema this weekend and not only was the room packed, the public seemed to clearly enjoy it with several moments of laughing.

Agree that the Brock-Venom dialogues and fights are the strong points of the movie.

And considering that they couldn't use spiderman, making it an alien invasion plot wasn't too shabby, in particular
    Spoiler
    Show
    the whole "some people are more compatible with symbiotes than others, and anything below full compatibility means the symbiote will kill you". And Venom's symbiote philosophy of "back in my homeworld I was a loser, but here I'm at the top of the food chain... As long as my mates don't get here and kick me down to the bottom again" is pretty solid.

The only real complain is that there was technically no need for the final fight, Venom only needed to cripple the space rocket from the start and Riot would be screwed. Was hoping for it just to be a scene of Riot launching inside the shuttle only for Venom to grin from outside while holding some ripped fuel cables then the rocket explodes with Riot inside. At least that's how he won, and again the fight scenes were well done so all in all a positive experience.

Looking forward to see how they tackle carnage in the sequel. Heck, I was half-expecting Carnage to be the big bad from the start, but guess it makes some sense to save the main enemy for later.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-11-14 at 09:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Potential Sequel thoughts
    Show
    Carnage is currently no more in th comics.

Cletus Kassady was killed off in the Venomized event this summer and the Carnage Symbiote was most recently used by Norman Osborn.

Carnage may or may not be resurrected in Web of Venom: Carnage Born, which purports to be about a murderous cult that worships Carnage trying to bring him back, but it's a oneshot so it might not actually bring him back.

I think it'd make more sense to time a movie with Carnage as the main villain for hen Carnage is doing something prominent in the comics, ntot to use him when he's dead.

You know, cross-promotion and all.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    I happen to have gone see it in a chinese cinema this weekend and not only was the room packed, the public seemed to clearly enjoy it with several moments of laughing.

Agree that the Brock-Venom dialogues and fights are the strong points of the movie.

And considering that they couldn't use spiderman, making it an alien invasion plot wasn't too shabby, in particular
    Spoiler
    Show
    the whole "some people are more compatible with symbiotes than others, and anything below full compatibility means the symbiote will kill you". And Venom's symbiote philosophy of "back in my homeworld I was a loser, but here I'm at the top of the food chain... As long as my mates don't get here and kick me down to the bottom again" is pretty solid.

The only real complain is that there was technically no need for the final fight, Venom only needed to cripple the space rocket from the start and Riot would be screwed. Was hoping for it just to be a scene of Riot launching inside the shuttle only for Venom to grin from outside while holding some ripped fuel cables then the rocket explodes with Riot inside. At least that's how he won, and again the fight scenes were well done so all in all a positive experience.

Looking forward to see how they tackle carnage in the sequel. Heck, I was half-expecting Carnage to be the big bad from the start, but guess it makes some sense to save the main enemy for later.
    Eh, it still makes sense, although it wasn't articulated.

Spoiler
    Show
    Riot has what appears to be a good enough matched host that he isn't in danger of dying, and Venom is aware of this.

Rockets to space are not that rare. Crippling this particular rocket is only a short-term solution. Unless Venom plans on monitoring every single rocket launch forever to make sure Riot doesn't piggyback on somebody, he needs to get rid of Riot permanently, and given Venom is in an explicitly more powerful symbiotic match right now, this is his best opportunity.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Eh, it still makes sense, although it wasn't articulated.

Spoiler
    Show
    Riot has what appears to be a good enough matched host that he isn't in danger of dying, and Venom is aware of this.

Rockets to space are not that rare. Crippling this particular rocket is only a short-term solution. Unless Venom plans on monitoring every single rocket launch forever to make sure Riot doesn't piggyback on somebody, he needs to get rid of Riot permanently, and given Venom is in an explicitly more powerful symbiotic match right now, this is his best opportunity.
    Thing is
    Spoiler
    Show

Riot had already showed his hand that he's an alien out to mindlessly butcher humies, so if he lost that rocket but survived he would be hunted down pretty hard by the authorities, in particular when his host is a world-famous CEO while Eddie was just some sensationalist reporter and so has a much easier time going into hiding. Neither can Riot afford to just jump hosts easily. For all we know the compatibility could've been not that famous and what was why the CEO was so desperate to launch ASAP, he knew he was dying but wanted to see his "new world", or his symbiote may've just lied to him and promised salvation if they got into space.

And yes, rockets with space shuttles that can properly travel through space while keeping the humie inside alive are pretty rare and take months/years of preparations before each launch, so keeping tabs in all of them would be hardly impossible. It's not enough for Riot to get to space, he would also need to be able to travel through it otherwise chances are he 'll just drift aimlessly until death from starvation/suffocation.

In particular when the symbiotes are still out there and Venom needs to worry about other humies flying into his species again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Venom is still playing in theaters, in fact it remains on top ten in the US box office. Additionally, it just opened in China this weekend, to a truly absurd amount of money.
    Wait, à movie can be popular in China without catering to Chinese audiences? You must be crazy!

Also, if Hardy really becomes the face of Eddie in the other MCU I also want my Deadpool crossover at some point.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler: Potential Sequel thoughts
    Show
    Carnage is currently no more in th comics.

Cletus Kassady was killed off in the Venomized event this summer and the Carnage Symbiote was most recently used by Norman Osborn.

Carnage may or may not be resurrected in Web of Venom: Carnage Born, which purports to be about a murderous cult that worships Carnage trying to bring him back, but it's a oneshot so it might not actually bring him back.

I think it'd make more sense to time a movie with Carnage as the main villain for hen Carnage is doing something prominent in the comics, ntot to use him when he's dead.

You know, cross-promotion and all.
    You know Marvel's deal with Sonyis that Marvel has no input in the Spiderverse er SUMC. The reason why Tom Holland doesn't show up in Venom is that Marvel gave it a firm "no."

Sony has none, and has never had, any input in Marvel's comic-line. Whatever is going on in Marvel's comics is going to have no impact on the movies. It's up to Marvel to capitalize on what's Sony doing, and all signs is the two are not co-ordinating with each other to do so.

A MCU-Venom crossover, even a mild suggestion or Easter Egg, would do far more for "cross-promotion" than comics. When it comes down to it, the number of fans who read comics (especially current comics) are very few, and the number who attend movies are very big.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    You know Marvel's deal with Sonyis that Marvel has no input in the Spiderverse er SUMC. The reason why Tom Holland doesn't show up in Venom is that Marvel gave it a firm "no."

Sony has none, and has never had, any input in Marvel's comic-line. Whatever is going on in Marvel's comics is going to have no impact on the movies. It's up to Marvel to capitalize on what's Sony doing, and all signs is the two are not co-ordinating with each other to do so.

A MCU-Venom crossover, even a mild suggestion or Easter Egg, would do far more for "cross-promotion" than comics. When it comes down to it, the number of fans who read comics (especially current comics) are very few, and the number who attend movies are very big.
    Actually its a bit more...up in the air than that because at first Marvel/Disney was very non-committal on if they were linked or not then as Venom grew closer to release and all the pre-release negative reviews came out, Marvel/Disney took a much harder 'no' stance that they weren't connected despite Sony wanting that to be the case.

In other words, at first Marvel seemed to be willing to consider it (obviously with conditions) if it looked like Venom was going to be a success but as it got closer and closer to release and didn't seem like that, they just decided to cut ties. Now, with Venom's success, they might reconsider.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm extremely happy to learn this. I thought it had a shorter run, since my local cinema has already replaced it with that Queen movie.
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.