New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Home 24: A house in this market?

Aran's Condo

"There's a resemblance now, yes. Normally it takes months or years to get as close as we are now. Is there further to go? I don't know. It's always different, because everyone is different. And don't worry, we can split up- we have to be close to each other, but not touching or anything. About... From here to the front door." So it's quite a large area of being clothed, but it's still pretty small in terms of shopping districts.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ogre in the Playground

[Aran’s Condo]

”Well...all right. I suppose it’ll have to do, then. Hit me, I guess.” He’s not particularly keen on going to the store in furs, but it’s the best he’s got.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #843
    Orc in the Playground

Aran's Condo

The hair covering Ursagridd's torso thickens and grows, turning from hairy human skin to a bear-like pelt covering Ursa's arms and torso. Ursagridd grabs the bottom of it, near his bellybutton, and pulls, heaving the whole thing and offering it- like a fur jumper or shirt- to Aran, whilst the hair on his legs also thickens into fur leggings, which will also be offered to Aran to wear.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

4. - Top - End - #844
    Firbolg in the Playground

[BC's HQ]
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicHobbit View Post
    Oliver chuckles softly. "When will they learn this doesn't keep us out?" he whispers, before getting to work on actually unlocking the door.

He unlocks it quickly, and walks into the room. He's confused momentarily, but shrugs. Wouldn't be an HQ if it was all ruins, now would it? He immediately walks over to the tablet computer, seeing if he can get into it, and if he can if there's anything worthwhile in it.
    Then perhaps the lock isn't for you, Oliver.

The computer is technically locked, but it's well-used. The marks on the keyboard area show that there's just a few options to try.
    He'll have it running in just a minute.
    The icons are laid out in...definitely some kind of way.
    Everything is labelled in the language of cats. Occasionally there are little smiley faces and icons, but not often. So it might be a little difficult finding the worthwhile things.
    How much time does he want to spend rifling through it now?

154 Oceanside Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Sekhmet doesn't move. It's been a strange and stressful day, and despite how nice these strangers are, she's still terrified, of being in a strange place, of an event in her past, and of what might be happening at her home right now. She continues to lie still, her breathing slowing back towards normal levels and her tears gradually drying up.
    Eventually Honeysuckle comes back in with a tray of biscuits, some blankets and pillows if Sekhmet isn't comfortable enough, and what she's been told is a relatively current map of Inside, which she gives to the tiefling.
    Hmm. Trails of salt on her face, is it? Yeah, it probably is upsetting to arrive in another world.
    "Wanna talk about it? Or just figure out what you're gonna do next?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #845
    Troll in the Playground

154 Oceanside Drive

Sekhmet looks up. "The second one, please." She's not ready to talk about it. "I uh, can't stay here forever, and I need things like food and clothes." She looks down at her feet embarrassedly, "And I don't have much money to buy them either."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #846

Default [154 Oceanside Drive]

"Well, I can spot you here for a week, along with these guys. Includes food. I can snag plenty from the bakery."
    Honeysuckle begins.
    "But I don't have a ton of money either." Disregard the giant rooms in a giant house. She's not paying a fair price for them.

"You're a scientist, right? So you need to find someone to sponsor your experiments. What sort of things did you study, exactly?"

"Hey, Shockwave, do -"
    "No." Snaps the fire, guessing (correctly) that Neverest was going to ask something stupid.
    "You could always join a church. That'll get you food and silly robes at the least."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2019-04-18 at 12:35 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #847
    Troll in the Playground

154 Oceanside Drive

"I worked on a lot of different things. Alchemy, some basic enchantments, communications, and I was working on tele-transportation when I got blasted here." Sekhmet pauses, then continues, "But I don't know how to find a patron. I don't even know where to look!"

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #848
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

BC's HQ

Oliver does indeed get in quickly, and immediately notices the language. He furrows his brow, and smacks his lips slightly. "Yeah, no idea what that means." He looks left and right, and takes out a flash drive. He knew he'd be getting something from a computer, so he bought one on his way to the Annex. Now, it comes in handy. He looks for a way to plug it into the laptop, knowing some tablet laptops have no USB port.
    After 2 years of silence, I reappear!

Place your bets now, how long until I disappear again

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

[Aran’s Condo]

Aran grimaces, both at the prospect of wearing clothes literally ripped off Ursa’s skin and the voluminous nature of the clothes that are now only slightly too big. But that’s what he gets when he accidentally advances from a small conduit of a spirit’s power to a bubbling cauldron of one. He’s going to need to start doing actual magic, once he has proper pants.
    ”Well, I guess that works. Off we go then...”
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

10. - Top - End - #850

[154 Oceanside Drive]

"Communications? What's that like?"

"Well, there's plenty of alchemists. Maybe if we visit them, one of them needs an apprentice?"
    "I feel like most of the scientific community is in Skyside. You could surely find work with one of the corporations or inventors. But it's a pretty rough town."
    "Can't recommend it. I left for a reason."
    "Are there any big wizard organizations? None are coming to mind."
    Honeysuckle shrugs.
    "Anyway. You should visit HALO, VIGIL, maybe the League. Any of them might give you room and board, maybe a cool uniform to wear-"
    "The uniforms are ugly. Never had a chance to tell you."
    "... Well you can't win them all. check the Wall to see if anyone is advertising, and then talk to alchemists and bartenders and other people who'd know."
    "Sound good?"

[BC's HQ]

On the one hand, it's unbelievable that an alien civilization would have the same connectors to their computers.
    On the other hand, the U does stand for Universal. There's 2 ports on the side.
    Oliver begins downloading files indiscriminately. Even if he can't read them, the detective probably can.

He may, if he's paying attention, hear something again coming this way down the hall. Skittering four-legged movement, and the occasional crystalline ringing noise of carried objects tapping into each other.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #851
    Troll in the Playground

154 Oceanside Drive

"That's uh, a lot of options." Sekhmet doesn't know what any of those places are. She thinks for a second, then realizes that she'll look dumber if she pretends to understand than if she asks. "What are those places? Vigil and Halo and such?" Sekhmet isn't from around here. Maybe with some clarification, she can figure out where she should go first.

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #852

"VIGIL's an organization that protects the world from big stuff. They're on a flying island. It sounds a little over the top and ridiculous, but they have plenty of scientists and mages and what-not.
    HALO is a group that I'm part of that tries to ... know how to solve problems? ... well it's hard to explain but we have an engineer, a botanist, a demi-god, a nurse, and a cat. That's pretty much that.
    The Good League of Good, yeah, I know, funny name, riiight? It's probably the biggest charity organization around. Someone who dropped out of another world and has nothing, you know, they'd probably be able to help you, right?
    And then Skyside's a city. My hometown. It's awful. But people go there to experiment because you can do anything there. Because it's awful."

Sekhmet doesn't seem suited to being a MERCenary or a card-carrying villain, so those aren't even getting brought up.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

154 Oceanside Drive

Sekhmet thinks about it, "The good place sounds, uh, good. Do they take everyone, even people like me?'

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #854

Honeysuckle laughs.
    "They take people way worse. Do you want to head there right away? We'd be taking the train."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #855
    Troll in the Playground

154 Oceanside Drive

"Uh, sure, I guess." Sekhmet slowly stands up. She doesn't have anything to pack up, so it's easy for her to get ready. She bends down to tighten the laces on her boots, then straightens back up. "I think I'm ready."

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #856
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Sagittarius Towers - Night]

Fettina is always quick enough to catch things like that. She does seem a little surprised Cantata is so bold as to slip an arm around her, but Tina is nothing if not adaptable. The neon girl returns the gesture. And it feels like maybe there should be something more... but this damn body is keeping her from going anywhere with it.

"Well, come on! Whip it out," She sticks her tongue out as she says that last part. They sure are close together now... Tina can at least enjoy that much. Especially with that lovely shade of red in Cantie's cheeks. "And take some pictures, I mean."
    Sagittarius Towers - Night

Another shushed laugh slips out as the slightly-red songstress pulls out her phone - a sleek number with only one or two light scratches - and smiles for the camera, prompting Tina to do the same with a directing glance before snapping a couple different photos. She'll type a cheeky little description and probably tag whatever Fettina's account may be with another inquiring look.

Now, with that out of the way, I'd say I have plenty a debt to you. And I think I might have an idea to pay you back for all this. She types, watching the angel's face carefully to gauge her reaction. Tell me, do you like jazz?
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

17. - Top - End - #857
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [BC's HQ]

On the one hand, it's unbelievable that an alien civilization would have the same connectors to their computers.
    On the other hand, the U does stand for Universal. There's 2 ports on the side.
    Oliver begins downloading files indiscriminately. Even if he can't read them, the detective probably can.

He may, if he's paying attention, hear something again coming this way down the hall. Skittering four-legged movement, and the occasional crystalline ringing noise of carried objects tapping into each other.
    BC's HQ

Those are both fair points, neither of which Oliver, nor I, considered.

Oliver does indeed hear these noises, and he finishes downloading the files before ejecting the USB, grabbing it, and running to get into the dark area and hunker down, hoping that whatever is coming isn't able to see through darkness.

18. - Top - End - #858

Default [BC's HQ]

"Sensei, we have a -"
    The voice, cold and smooth, pauses.
    "-an unannounced visitor, do we?"

It knows someone is here, but not exactly where Oliver is.

Speaking of where Oliver is, at first it seems like he's back outside. He can see the stars (but not the same stars as on a normal night) in the night sky (but shouldn't there be trees in the way?). But then he'll notice there's more stars below, no ground except a foot or two of dirt that he's standing on and a few shapes drifting in the dark, blocking the stars.
    An empty void stretches out in front of him.
    But you know, maybe he could make the jump to the nearest patch of ground...
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sagittarius Towers - Day]

Let's see. Mystical functional vampire fangs in his pocket from that one 365 Halloween store that's sketchy as hell, smells of incense and makes goth look sunny? Check. A list of halfway decent adventure hotspots, or at least bars to find quests in the other? Check. An awkward conversation about Leap and how exotic Tina likes them... Uhh, yeah, check but maybe bring that up last.

Reinholdt steps up to Tina's door and knocks. Unlike the beach party he's wearing actual clothes this time. Particularly covered in tough but tight leather that almost makes him look like a biker. Fortunately adventurers in leather aren't uncommon. Maybe with a normal house visit, but Rein does prefer wearing his semi-armor around even casually so as to deter unwanted random zombie attacks. It has worked thus far.

Knock knock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default [BC's HQ]

Oliver resists the urge to freak out, and instead starts trying to figure out if someone of his jumping skill, which is slightly better than the average human, could make the jump to the next patch.

He doesn't react to the voice, maybe because he's more focused on his current surroundings.

21. - Top - End - #861

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Tieflings and Vampires and Sneks Oh My]

The girls strain to see the baby, going on their tip toes and pulling themselves that little bit higher by Astrana's clothes. "She's a tiefling like us!" Jaazha declares, and that just prompts a new round of chatter. It's rather loud and boisterous, and the inevitable happens. Maha starts to cry! The girls clam up all at once. Oops.

Valerie stoply steps across the room, her eyes on the child. She stops a few steps away and tries to lock eyes with Astrana. She has some serious explaining to do.

"Girls, you're scaring her." Astrana gives them a glare, they were far too eager sometimes. "I need to take care of Maha now." She meets Val's gaze. "Can you help me out?"

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

Valerie simply nods and then looks down at the girls. "Okay, back to the table, girls. Finish your supper and you can see the baby more later, okay?" There's a bit of whining and grumbling, but the girls do as their mom asks.

"Let's go to our room." She suggests with another worried look at the crying baby girl. There's not a lot of other spaces in their small home anyway. Valerie makes a small stop on the way to dig into the hall closet, fishing the old diaper bag out of the very back. There's got to be something left behind in there, right? Once they're in the room, Valerie closes the door. "You're going to fill me in now, right?"

23. - Top - End - #863

Default [BC's HQ]

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicHobbit View Post
    Oliver resists the urge to freak out, and instead starts trying to figure out if someone of his jumping skill, which is slightly better than the average human, could make the jump to the next patch.

He doesn't react to the voice, maybe because he's more focused on his current surroundings.
    He's probably land with his arms hanging onto the edge and have to pull himself up. That's no problem, right?

Spoiler: The Next Patch
    Show
    It's actually not so dark here; there's plenty of starlight. There's a little hovering orb (insubstantial but brimming with magic), a poster of some actress,a coat rack full of cloak and hats.
    There are three other patches reachable from here. One is a long jump, and one can see a burned-out campfire on it. The next one is down below, with a large hilly patch of land visible beyond it. The last is level and close by, nearly a stepping stone, but not much is visible in that direction.

The footsteps get closer. Slow and careful; who knows what Oliver is capable of?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #864
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Sagittarius Towers - Night

Another shushed laugh slips out as the slightly-red songstress pulls out her phone - a sleek number with only one or two light scratches - and smiles for the camera, prompting Tina to do the same with a directing glance before snapping a couple different photos. She'll type a cheeky little description and probably tag whatever Fettina's account may be with another inquiring look.

Now, with that out of the way, I'd say I have plenty a debt to you. And I think I might have an idea to pay you back for all this. She types, watching the angel's face carefully to gauge her reaction. Tell me, do you like jazz?
    [Sagittarius Towers - Night]

Fettina grabs Cantie, presses her cheek into the songstress', sticks her tongue out, and flashes two raised fingers for the camera. Even adds a little wink. She's clearly very photogenic. Fettina takes the opportunity to give Cantie all her relevant social media details.

Fettina just blinks. That was not what she expected Cantie to say. "...Some, sure. Not a ton, but I could name a few songs... why?"

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post

Let's see. Mystical functional vampire fangs in his pocket from that one 365 Halloween store that's sketchy as hell, smells of incense and makes goth look sunny? Check. A list of halfway decent adventure hotspots, or at least bars to find quests in the other? Check. An awkward conversation about Leap and how exotic Tina likes them... Uhh, yeah, check but maybe bring that up last.

Reinholdt steps up to Tina's door and knocks. Unlike the beach party he's wearing actual clothes this time. Particularly covered in tough but tight leather that almost makes him look like a biker. Fortunately adventurers in leather aren't uncommon. Maybe with a normal house visit, but Rein does prefer wearing his semi-armor around even casually so as to deter unwanted random zombie attacks. It has worked thus far.

Knock knock.

An angel answers the slide-aside sci-fi door. An angel that looks a lot like Tina, cast in liquid chrome, gleaming from within with bright orange starfire.

...She also looks like an angel who had a rough night, and seems to have forgotten to put on anything aside from a tiny black t-shirt. "Oh," she says, and then her eyes widen. She crouches around the side of the door, hiding, just barely peeking out. "Oh, gods, crap. I, uh, I was..." She droops, wings and all. "I was really hoping to fix this before you saw."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

25. - Top - End - #865
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: [BC's HQ]

Oliver shakes his head, looks back, then jumps across to the next patch. He hangs there for a moment, hands slightly slipping, before he slowly pulls himself up, arms shaking. It was a close one, but he managed to do it.

Once on the next patch, he looks around at his choices, mulling over what he could do, ignoring the footsteps approaching.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ogre in the Playground

Nora's Place

About an hour and a half after her fight with Tina, having soaked her head(and body) in the ocean to literally cool off, Norael lands on her balcony and heads on in. She didn't feel like going through the front door, especially since she's all but naked, but she'd brooded and thought enough. A quick shower, a self-examination in the mirror, a bit more self-loathing, and then she was ready to call her boss. She puts her phone on speaker as she lets it ring and goes through her liquor cabinet looking for something to drink. "I know it's later than you'd like Boss, but I think there's some explaining you need to do. What the **** kind of magic did you use?" She asks once Tellysandra picks up, even before the two can say hello.

The angel snags a nice looking bourbon from her cabinet and pours herself a glass only to stop when she tries to put it to her lips. I don't have a mouth any more. ...****.

27. - Top - End - #867

Default [BC's HQ]

He could stop and confront whoever it is, maybe talk his way out. He has those files, after all.
    He could find a place to hide - that larger patch of earth looks promising.
    He could wait for the pursuer to enter this dark space and try to outmaneuver them, slip past and escape. Maybe a disguise from the coat rack would help?
    And of course he could do something else.

Regardless, nothing here reacts to him.
    From this vantage point, he can see the third path, the stepping stone, seems to lead to a whole bunch of those, like paving stones through a garden. Except the garden is a vast empty void.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #868
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: [BC's HQ]

Oliver has an idea, and begins hopping across the stepping stones. If there's any foreseeable end, he'll maneuver to as close to the middle as he can, and face back toward where he came from. If, however, there's no end that he can see, he'll simply go out far enough for a person to see him but not far enough so that he becomes indistinct.

29. - Top - End - #869

Nora's Place

A few signals will pass before Telly actually picks up, Nora will know that her ladyship always did that if she was annoyed.
    "Oh, I need to do the explaining, is it? Listen Nora, I'm not going to explain my art over phone like this, especially since I don't know where you are or who might be listening. As I said before, if you wish to discuss that with me, come and visit. What I want to discuss right here and now is how you know this woman and what you were trying to do. You messed up the spell real bad and I'm afraid how it has effected you mentally and physically."

"I don't even know where to start..." Astrana remarks as she attempts to sooth Maha by slowly rocking her in her arms.
    But she will eventually start explaining what happened at MERC and how she had gotten involved in the moon wells and what the snake god had wanted them to do while attempting to calm the baby.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

Norae's Place

Gee. Wonderful. And Norael had just finished calming herself down. It takes her a moment to drag her annoyance back in control as she mulls an answer. "I'm home, alone. Tina is my neighbor and we're friends. That is the extent of it. Or was until I offered to be a good friend and help remove what looked like a curse. I don't know what the **** kind of magic you used, but instead of breaking under a spell that should have destroyed anything less than a fortress sized enchantment, it spread." She sounds quite displeased, but she takes her phone and snaps a selfie before sending it Tellysandra's way. "I'd say it changed me a hell of a lot.