The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 213637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1465
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Home 24: A house in this market?

[Cass' Tower - Unmasqued]

Cass simply returns the hug, saying nothing, just sharing this moment. This... this is good.

Cass pulls back a bit after a little while, keeping her arms around Electra. "Are you... alright?"
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2019-09-04 at 08:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Electra smiles, but a bit of the sadness creeps back into her eyes.

"I'm ok. Just...memories of...some folks I miss very much....crop up sometimes." Her expression goes inwards as she says this, searching for words. There's more there, but it's obvious she's having a hard time externalizing it. "They've....been gone a long time."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Halfling in the Playground

Tina's Place]

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Cantata responds with a sheepish smile and glance away as she steps in, shifting the weighty tome under her arm to better type a response. I might’ve underestimated just how much she’d demand in return... and how long it would take to stop feeling sore all over, She admits with a blush.

Still, she pauses, retrieving a nicely-wrapped package from her coat, I do have something for you~
    "Oh man. She really worked you over, huh? I hope it was fun," Fettina grins a wicked grin. She looks a little excited when she sees the package, but decides instead to ask, "What's with the book though?"
    Last edited by Murkus; 2019-09-06 at 04:50 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gulaghar. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post

Electra smiles, but a bit of the sadness creeps back into her eyes.

"I'm ok. Just...memories of...some folks I miss very much....crop up sometimes." Her expression goes inwards as she says this, searching for words. There's more there, but it's obvious she's having a hard time externalizing it. "They've....been gone a long time."

Cass gives Electra's shoulder a squeeze.
    "I'm sorry. That must be difficult." She says, with concern in her voice.

5. - Top - End - #1355

NinjaGuy

Electra smiles again, faintly and nods, squeezing Cass' hand. Her eyes still have a far-away look in them.

"Th-thanks....I'm sorry, I'm still here, I just...memories are a funny thing...and the ones of them are always a mix of happy and sad. If I start thinking about them too much, I start remembering what happened to them..." She trails off for a moment, closing her eyes, and almost whispers, "How it felt when they died, their last thoughts..." She trails off again and shakes her head, lowers it. Her shoulders shake for a brief moment. "...and how I failed them."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ogre in the Playground

Cass sits quietly as she listens, until Electra begins to trail off, causing her to shift a bit.
    "You don't have to share it if it's too painful," says Cass, though she gives Electra's hand another comforting squeeze, to let her know she appreciates her trust.

7. - Top - End - #1357

NinjaGuy

Electra's shoulders sink slightly, and she shakes her head, before looking to Cass, opening her eyes again. She's lost the far-away look for the moment, but the sadness remains.

"No. You should know." She bites her lower lip, turning away for a moment, trying to decide where to start.

"My brothers, sister and I were all built by the same lab, the same duo of scientists. A husband and wife team. I think of them as my 'parents'. We all did, and considered each other siblings. I don't know how much Fayyaad or Dena might have told you about what I am and what abilities I have, but my siblings and I shared a special ability: we all had the ability to talk to each other mentally, instantaneously, over any distance. It was akin to an electronic form of telepathy, albeit, we could only do it with each other."

She looks back to Cass, and the sadness has faded a little, replaced with a bit of anxiety.

"We were built as soldiers. The idea was that we'd be far more cohesive and responsive in combat due to the reduced lag time in messaging, and that our mental communications couldn't be intercepted. We weren't a hive mind, but we were in each other's heads fairly often. When we were assigned, they put us all in the same squad together, and they made me squad leader since I had the highest leadership score." Her voice goes quiet, and she looks away again. "And then, we served through three world wars. And I lost one of them in each one."

8. - Top - End - #1358

Tina's Place

Bashfulness gives way to pure delight as Tina asks the question, Cantata's eyes twinkling eagerly. Well, while I was waiting for that gorgeous rear of mine to stop aching, I realized that it wasn't very fair of me to ask for a reward considering how much of a good time you managed to surprised me with. So I started to do some research about that divine curse of yours, see if there was some way I could repay you. She grins, moving towards the counter and laying flat the weighty volume before prying it open. And I think I found something very interesting.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2019-09-10 at 08:34 PM.
    Avatar by Gulaghar, thanks so much!
    "People wanted to be fooled. They really believed that you found gold nuggets lying on the ground, that this time you could find the Lady, that just for once the glass ring might be real diamond. You had to give them a show.”
    ~Going Postal, by Terry Pratchett

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtok
    If it'll keep you from linking that abomination ever again, then fine. You're evil enough. You win.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ogre in the Playground

Electra's shoulders sink slightly, and she shakes her head, before looking to Cass, opening her eyes again. She's lost the far-away look for the moment, but the sadness remains.

"No. You should know." She bites her lower lip, turning away for a moment, trying to decide where to start.

"My brothers, sister and I were all built by the same lab, the same duo of scientists. A husband and wife team. I think of them as my 'parents'. We all did, and considered each other siblings. I don't know how much Fayyaad or Dena might have told you about what I am and what abilities I have, but my siblings and I shared a special ability: we all had the ability to talk to each other mentally, instantaneously, over any distance. It was akin to an electronic form of telepathy, albeit, we could only do it with each other."

She looks back to Cass, and the sadness has faded a little, replaced with a bit of anxiety.

"We were built as soldiers. The idea was that we'd be far more cohesive and responsive in combat due to the reduced lag time in messaging, and that our mental communications couldn't be intercepted. We weren't a hive mind, but we were in each other's heads fairly often. When we were assigned, they put us all in the same squad together, and they made me squad leader since I had the highest leadership score." Her voice goes quiet, and she looks away again. "And then, we served through three world wars. And I lost one of them in each one."

Cass is silent for a long time, her grip on Electra's hand loosening a bit as she listens to her story, though she doesn't let go completely, unless Electra pulls away. She has a slightly distant expression of her own, mulling over her words carefully as she tries to figure out what she wants to say.

"You probably wouldn't know just from the public record, but I... in my past life, we'll call it... she was created too. Built, just like you. As an assassin. A machine made only for killing. She never expected to have any cause to fight for, to have a family, to... fall in love. To be... a person, I guess. As for me, well... you know enough of how I got here to know I'm not... I didn't arrive on a stork, anyway."

She pauses, then pulls into focus, looking intently at Electra.
    "I'm not sure if I can understand how much of a burden that must be for you. To... be in your family's heads like that - to lose them all in that way. But I guess what I wanted to say is... if you need to talk to me about... anything. I'm listening. I am here for you. I promise, it's not as weird as you think."

10. - Top - End - #1360

NinjaGuy

Electra looks back to Cass when she starts speaking, the anxiety slowly leaving her eyes. There's still a bit of sadness there, but as Cass goes on, it seems to fade some. She smiles when Cass finishes, and nods, then squeezes Cass' hands gently, before speaking.

"Thanks. I'm sorry, I know it's....a lot. And the worst part, is that I was mentally linked to each one of them when they...when they passed. I...don't want to dwell on this more tonight; but...I wanted you to know, because it tends to get me at the oddest times, sometimes. It's...been an issue in the past, and you're the first person in the Nexus who knows this much about...what happened to them. Fayyaad knows we were close, and that they died, but...I've never been allowed to share why their deaths bothered me so much, at least, until I came to the Nexus, so...some of this, I'm still working through because I've had to hold it in for so long." She squeezes Cass' hands again, and looks deep into the sorceress' eyes.

"So, let me turn that around. I may not always be able to comprehend what it's like to be saddled with memories of your past self, a person who's different from who you are now, and who you want to be, but...I'm here, if you need to talk, or someone to just listen. I'm here for you, too, OK?"

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ogre in the Playground

Cass nods.
    "Thanks. For trusting me- and for listening as well. I think I'll need more of it soon," she says. She does her best to meet the intensity of Electra's gaze, her silvery eyes shimmering... then abruptly looks away, blushing a little.

12. - Top - End - #1362

NinjaGuy

Electra smiles, the sadness receding completely from her eyes. She squeezes Cass' hands again.

"I should be saying the same thing." She leans in, and gives Cass a gentle kiss on the cheek, before pulling her into a warm hug. "Thank you, Cassandra. Thank you. For being you. For trusting me. For listening. Thank you."

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ogre in the Playground

Cass sinks into the hug, closing her eyes and sighing in contentment.

"You can stay the night if you want," Cass offers.

14. - Top - End - #1364

NinjaGuy

"I would like nothing more," Electra says gently, quietly. Having Cass this close, just being with her, is all she needs right now. She could probably fall asleep like this, but it probably wouldn't be terribly comfortable for either of them. Reluctantly, she pulls back a bit, just far enough so she can look Cass in the eyes. "Shall we get some sleep?"

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sure," says Cass, giving Electra a pleased smile, and then a return kiss on the cheek. As she does so, an unseen force begins to gather up their mugs and wineglasses, carrying them over to the sink, as well as stopping up and putting away the wine bottle.

Magic is awesome.

Paying little mind to her minor miracle of housekeeping hoodoo, Cass takes Electra by the hand, and lead her up the (regrettably many) stairs to sleep, barring any objection.

16. - Top - End - #1366

NinjaGuy

Electra voices no objection, but gives a pleased smile as Cass takes her by the hand and leads her up the stairs. She's never been in this part of Cass' tower before, and she's curious what sort of accommodations the sorceress enjoys.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Ogre in the Playground

Cass leads Electra up the stairs, where, given her bedroom is right at the very top, gives her a chance to peek at every room of the tower as they make their way up to the bedroom.

18. - Top - End - #1368

NinjaGuy

Electra grows more impressed the further up the tower they go. By the time they actually reach Cass's bedroom, she can barely contain herself.

"I love what you've done with this place! It's so open and airy! And so much space!" She blushes for a moment, before settling down a bit. "I mean, I knew it was big just from seeing from the outside, but...it's just incredible in here!"

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Ogre in the Playground

Cass is pretty surprised by Electra's enthusiasm for the place, lowering her hands from where she was unfastening her dress.
    "Thanks," she says, blushing. "Being out here, apart from everything... I've spent a lot of time on it."

20. - Top - End - #1370

NinjaGuy

"It shows," Electra says, "This place means a lot to you, I can tell." She pauses for a moment, reaching behind herself to undo a cleverly-hidden zipper on her own dress, and shrugs, moving her upper body a bit to try and get the tight top to loosen a bit. "I'm glad you have a place like this, that you can really call home, something to focus on other than work."

She reaches up and pulls the knot on the tie in her hair before shaking her head a bit, sending a cascade of gold down her back. "Ah, that's better." She smiles at Cass. She hasn't removed her dress yet, but it's starting to loosen a bit at least. "Do you need some help?"

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Ogre in the Playground

Sam’s Room

After some time on the Riftline, Sam eventually leads Kathy to an upscale hotel in the middle of Inside. Sam and the mech get some looks but the spigre ignores them.
    ”So I’m not super sure if there’s room to just drop your armor somewhere. I’m sure you’ll figure something out. Just don’t scare the cat.” Sam says without turning as he fishes his key out of his pocket. Seems like just because he can use his magic one doesn’t mean he does.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sam's Room]

"I'll take up less space if I just stay in it for now," Kathy says. Her mech only stands seven feet tall, so being inside it and thus having it able to move out of the way seems like the way to go. After all, if the apartment can handle Sam at his size, chances are it can handle her when piloting the mech. It's comfortable in here, after all.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ogre in the Playground

Sam’s Room

Sam raises an eyebrow as the lock clicks.
    ”Well, okay. But it seems to me it would be even worse than walking around indoors with shoes on.” says the man here who hasn’t worn shoes more than twice since he was created.
    Sam swings the door open and out of habit deposits his vest onto a coat rack beside the door. Inside is a luxurious suite of wood, brass, and white linen. It seems plenty big for the lot of them.
    ”Lucy, I’m back. Where’s my good boy?” he calls. He doesn’t get a verbal reply, but almost immediately a green and purple bundle leaps into his many arms. The fluffy space-cat purrs into Sam’s chest while he stares at Kathy’s armor with big eyes set under a tiny horn.
    ”Well uh, here we are. Make yourself comfortable. Try not to scuff the floors.”

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sam's Room]

Kathy looks at the floor a moment, her mech holding still a moment, then she sighs, "Okay, yeah, I'd probably scuff the floor." Then she'll carefully walk her mech into a corner where it won't be in the way too much, and proceeds to get out, her legs and arms coming out with her. She'll be going barefoot, of course, but that doesn't usually cause problems when your feet are made of metal.

And then, she'll attempt to pet the kitty, because felines are wonderful critters.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Tina's Place

Bashfulness gives way to pure delight as Tina asks the question, Cantata's eyes twinkling eagerly. Well, while I was waiting for that gorgeous rear of mine to stop aching, I realized that it wasn't very fair of me to ask for a reward considering how much of a good time you managed to surprised me with. So I started to do some research about that divine curse of yours, see if there was some way I could repay you. She grins, moving towards the counter and laying flat the weighty volume before prying it open. And I think I found something very interesting.
    [Tina's Place]

"Wait, what?" By the higher note and quaky timbre of her voice, it's easy to tell that Tina wasn't expecting this at all. There's an elated gleam in her eyes and the way she smiles as she moves closer to examine the book. "Cantata, seriously? I haven't been able to get anywhere with this except by talking to a master adventurer. What the hell did you find?"
    My avatar was done by Gulaghar. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

26. - Top - End - #1376

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Tina's Place]

"Wait, what?" By the higher note and quaky timbre of her voice, it's easy to tell that Tina wasn't expecting this at all. There's an elated gleam in her eyes and the way she smiles as she moves closer to examine the book. "Cantata, seriously? I haven't been able to get anywhere with this except by talking to a master adventurer. What the hell did you find?"
    Cantata blinks, taken aback by Fettina’s sheer excitement. Its not a cure or anything, I’m not that good, she types apologetically, but tries not to let the disappointment linger by adding, But I may have found a loophole around one of its symptoms.

The worn title should be easy enough for Tina to read, boasting its contents to be “A Comprehensive Encyclopedia On Angels and Divine Beings”, before Cantata peels it open and flits through the pages to the section she’s looking for - the Angel of Chasity. The watercolor illustration accompanying it has a fair resemblance to the form Tina now bears, displaying a winged metal woman wrapped loosely in cloth.

It seems chastity might have a rather specific definition, Cantata types, before gesturing to a lower paragraph, because according to this, there’s a couple recorded instances of these angels marrying great heroes and conceiving children with them. the implication being that they had to be able to fool around if there was any sort of possible conception. Which is why I wanted to ask if you’d let me be repay you, by being your great hero for a day or two. to get her point across, she produces a very cheap and obviously plastic wedding ring, probably a costume prop of some sort.

Awkwardly, she adds, Er, nothing serious or lasting, of course, just a way to let you... unwind for a bit. Thought it’d only be fair after what you got me into, after all~
    Avatar by Gulaghar, thanks so much!
    "People wanted to be fooled. They really believed that you found gold nuggets lying on the ground, that this time you could find the Lady, that just for once the glass ring might be real diamond. You had to give them a show.”
    ~Going Postal, by Terry Pratchett

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtok
    If it'll keep you from linking that abomination ever again, then fine. You're evil enough. You win.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sam’s Room]

When given attention, the cat immediately tries to wriggle into her arms from Sam’s.
    ”His name’s Pippin. Now, I can do this myself if you want. Or you can help me a little. But that depends on what you can do. So what can you?” he asks as he saunters over to the little kitchen area. The room is clearly made for someone his size in mine but it’s still somewhat small.

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sam's Room]

"I'll help how I can, but I'm not great in the kitchen. It doesn't make any sense - I can make chemical compounds just fine by following the instructions, but I never seem to be able to make something worth eating." Kathy says, taking Pippin in her arms. It's nice and warm there.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Ogre in the Playground

"It shows," Electra says, "This place means a lot to you, I can tell." She pauses for a moment, reaching behind herself to undo a cleverly-hidden zipper on her own dress, and shrugs, moving her upper body a bit to try and get the tight top to loosen a bit. "I'm glad you have a place like this, that you can really call home, something to focus on other than work."

She reaches up and pulls the knot on the tie in her hair before shaking her head a bit, sending a cascade of gold down her back. "Ah, that's better." She smiles at Cass. She hasn't removed her dress yet, but it's starting to loosen a bit at least. "Do you need some help?"

Cass smiles, presenting her back to Electra. "If you'd be so kind as to unzip me," she says.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ogre in the Playground

Sam’s Room

Sam nods, pulling on a large apron decorated with a cartoon pig’s face and a set of long, thin gloves. Four of them, obviously.
    ”Okay then. In that case I’m going to have you measure out some things for later, and that will probably be it. Is that okay with you?” he asks.