New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Stat up the Order of the Stick

Yes, I know the comic will never change editions, that's not the point. Yes, I know there's an official thread for the 3.5 hybrid the comic already uses. However, this seems to be the only place that doesn't have such a thread (and have you tried searching for it?).

So who wants to have a go at doing the Order of the Stick, Linear Guild and various others in 5th edition?
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Stat up the Order of the Stick

Someone's tried to stat out 5e Roy at least once:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post

Roy Greenhilt seems kind of cheating, since it's statting up a DnD character as a DnD character, but sure.

Roy Greenhilt - Human (Variant) Fighter, Level ~15
    Feats: Great Weapon Master (Level 1), Mage Slayer (Level 14)
    Ability Scores:
    STR 20
    CON 20
    DEX 12 or less
    WIS/CHA/INT 12 or more, probably as high as 14
    Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting
    Archetype: Battle Master probably (If only he'd been in 5e though he could have been an Eldritch Knight - allowing him to be a Fighter like he wanted to be, and also kind of wizardly like his dad wanted and making use of his decent INT score)
    Maneuvers: Sweeping Attack, Goading Attack, Rally, Commander's Strike, Parry, Precision Attack, Riposte, Pushing Attack, Disarming Attack (in no particular order)

Roy is known to have mostly good ability scores (lucky rolls I guess...), and would likely max his STR and CON. Variant human so he has that classic 3.5 bonus feat for "power attack" and "cleave" as well as the later Mage Slayer to emulate his anti-lich moves. Maneuvers touch on his status as a leader, some other abilities I felt appropriate and then some more I just tacked on because he's supposed to have nine. I didn't bother getting into skills and backgrounds; no backgrounds seemed to fit, and I don't think any 5e skill adequately represents his architectural sub-major.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Elan would be an interesting one.

Level 16

my guess for stats (assuming he rolled), 10, 15, 14, 4, 6, 20

I'd say for the bard levels he is a valor bard, I thought about swords but he spends most of his time buffing others not himself, so I think valor works better. He has 14 or so levels

And then for dashing swordsman I would go hexblade warlock 1, his patron being the heroes long dead that inspire him or something(lets him attack with charisma,)

Not sure on backround, I think you could make equal arguments for folk hero (barmaid's son), entertainer (bard), and courtier (on the origins of pcs)

For feats I would give him lucky (because the world conforms to his vision of storytelling) and mobile (he seems pretty agile)
    If you want to see some art here is my instagram https://www.instagram.com/rfkannen/

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Haley's kind of got a problem for 5e; Rogues don't get longbow proficiency!

I would probably go Thief rogue, with high stats in Dex, Cha, and Wis. VHuman can get her a feat for longbow prof, and I think Sharpshooter would also be a decent investment at high levels.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by the_brazenburn View Post
    I would probably go Thief rogue, with high stats in Dex, Cha, and Wis.
    Roy is a "more filling" meal than Haley (3 good mental stats rather than 2). And we know Haley's INT is above average - she has "bonus languages" according to Elan.

If she has good Charisma and good Int, then, to be a noticeably worse meal than Roy "Tasty, but too sweet"

then maybe her worst mental stat is Wisdom?

This thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...yer-Taste-buds

discussed the potential meanings behind the mind flayer's reaction to each person.

An alternate take, coming to a similar conclusion:

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Well, let's see.

Roy has all three mental stats, so you can't derive much from him.

Elan has only Charisma and is a diet soda: sweet, no nourishment, tastes awful.

Vaarsuvius has only Intelligence and is a hamburger.

Durkon has only Wisdom and is "filling, but too bland."

Haley has Intelligence and Charisma and is "tasty, but too sweet."

Therefore, I conclude:

Wisdom is "filling."

Charisma is "sweet."

Intelligence is "savory."

Belkar is something savory but not filling or sweet, pushed by his anger in the direction of "I'd get heartburn." Vaarsuvius, with higher Intelligence, is also savory but not filling or sweet, but is tasty enough to be worth considering as a meal anyway.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-10-09 at 11:00 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Someone's tried to stat out 5e Roy at least once:
    But he’s absolutely not an Eldritch Knight. He doesn’t use any magic outside of his items.
    Battlemaster fits him better and explains his proficiency with Navigator’s Tools.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    But he’s absolutely not an Eldritch Knight.
    The post I was quoting didn't say he was an Eldritch Knight - they say, in effect, that, had 5e been around when Roy was young, he could have received Eldritch Knight training.

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    Archetype: Battle Master probably (If only he'd been in 5e though he could have been an Eldritch Knight - allowing him to be a Fighter like he wanted to be, and also kind of wizardly like his dad wanted and making use of his decent INT score)
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-10-09 at 11:24 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The post I was quoting didn't say he was an Eldritch Knight - they say, in effect, that, had 5e been around when Roy was young, he could have received Eldritch Knight training.
    He'd probably still have gone BM though. If just because spellcasting is what his Dad wanted him to do. That's just how a lot of fathers and sons work.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by GlenSmash! View Post
    He'd probably still have gone BM though. If just because spellcasting is what his Dad wanted him to do. That's just how a lot of fathers and sons work.
    In Snips Snails & Dragon Tales (albeit in the slightly different continuity that is the Dragon Magazine strips) 4e Roy asks 3e Roy why he never became a Warblade, which would have allowed him to make more use of his high Int score (while still being non-magical). 3e Roy responds:

"You know Dad would never have paid for a PhD program."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

In Snips Snails & Dragon Tales (albeit in the slightly different continuity that is the Dragon Magazine strips) 4e Roy asks 3e Roy why he never became a Warblade, which would have allowed him to make more use of his high Int score (while still being non-magical). 3e Roy responds:

"You know Dad would never have paid for a PhD program."
    Ha!

Classic Roy.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by GlenSmash! View Post
    Ha!

Classic Roy.
    4E Roy, interestingly, was a Warlord rather than a Fighter. Maybe 5e Roy has slight Warlord-ish traits? I'm guessing that Commander's Strike is that kind of thing.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-10-09 at 03:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

4E Roy, interestingly, was a Warlord rather than a Fighter. Maybe 5e Roy has slight Warlord-ish traits? I'm guessing that Commander's Strike is that kind of thing.
    Makes sense to me. Inspiring Leader would be a great choice for a Roy too.