New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Epic Level Game - Chapter 3

As you know, threads are to be closed after 50 pages, so we are on to thread 3. Here is the link to the previous threads just in case you need a reference:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...Level-Campaign

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ign-Continues!

Re-introduction to forum play:

Welcome to Rob’s Epic-Level D&D 5th edition play-by-post campaign! All who are reading this, players old and new, should abide by the following rules:

• This forum uses the honor system. Die rolling is an integral part of D&D, but we are all mature enough to know that cheating helps no one. That being said, keep it honest.
    • In light of keeping pace, reactive rolls such as saves, checks, and the like will by rolled by myself unless the player takes it upon themself to make note of it as a part of their action.
    • Due to the nature of epic gameplay, the campaign will become a bit more story-based. Menial encounters will not be emphasized or resolved through dice, though I will do my best to keep this a die-rolling RPG as much as possible.
    • Be nice and respectful toward myself and each other. DM rulings are final, so no arguing in that department. I know magic at high levels is absurd in many areas, so some ad hoc, story-based modifications may be made in this area.
    • Min/maxers, munckins, and rollplayers need not apply! Yes, everyone wants their character to be the best at what they do, but if there is a rules loophole that becomes increasingly or regularly abused (I’m thinking Time Stop/Delayed Blast Fireball for insane amounts of damage, making warriors obsolete), know that this will be addressed, in or out of game for sake of balance, realism, and most importantly, fun for everybody.
    • In combat, I will ask for a single initiative roll, modified by individual modifiers for to simplify initiative. Monsters will act as a group (or in groups depending on their modifiers) as well. When players declare their actions, please include any and ALL die rolls that would accompany that action (to hit AND damage for example). As each player declares their action(s), I will detail how it plays out (hits, misses, etc.) in dramatic, descriptive fashion. The opposite is true of my role; DM die rolls being secret, I will only display effects descriptively.
    • Out of combat situations will work similarly. Players can declare their intentions/actions (again, with appropriate die rolls, i.e. walking around a village investigating [27 Gather Information]). I will describe flavorfully all resolutions and outcomes.
    • To get started, I will need everyone to message me their characters (privately or through e-mail) so that I may have all necessary stats handy (HP, AC, Saves, Skills, etc.).

This all being said, where did we leave off…?

--

It has come to the part's attention that the current pantheon of gods may either be dead or are dying. Asmodeus, who claims to be the sole remaining Arch-Devil has confirmed this, as well as informed the party that only Demogorgon and Orcus remain among the Demon Lords.

The planes have started to shift and collapse. This has affected the outer and elemental planes, but nothing has seemed to affect the prime material plane, although hordes of undead still run rampant across the countryside.

To combat this, Crassus has rapidly expanded the once small kingdom of Cypress, not only across the entire island, but now unto the main continent. His intentions are to unite all under one banner to stand as a single civilized nation.

Meanwhile, Bear Ghost has taken a different approach. He has acquired a number of monstrous tribes in the wilds and has begun to expand and fortify his base.

While the group navigates their options, Xavier continues to pursue oneness and now seeks to regain his sorcercous body. Dr. Nimm continues to study his mysterious Tome of the Keeper, while Arcivus tries his best to remain a vigilant symbol of hope and righteousness in these dark times.

You are about to depart Bear Ghost's fortress toward the ancient white dragon lair in hopes of acquiring the necessary components for Xavier's transformation. Teleroth Baine is with you, as is Kyle, though Kyle will remain with Bear Ghost and the tribe while you are away.

Any other business or are we off to the fabled Doom Blizzard Peaks once again?

--

Other quests include:

Spoiler: Pending Quests
    Show

• Strained Magic: While magic now seems to be operating normally, some practitioners seem to have lost the ability to wield it. This was noticed at the school erected in Frostdale, but has not been fully investigated yet.
    • Guardian's Past: Guardian, the Warforged warrior along with his psionic friend, Ridion were awaken from having been entrapped over 10000 years ago. They were betrayed by Nehlrus, a premier champion of their day as well as another mysterious figure speculated to now be the mighty lich known only as The Black Scourge. Teleroth Baine, a "good" lich claims to be preparing for his return, as he claims, The Black Scourge is his father. Nehlrus has returned, now an undead champion, and even claimed the Sword of Kas, a powerful, evil artifact. You all suspect that this quest and the undead threat (Call to Arms, below) may be tied in somewhere.
      UPDATE: Nehlrus' forces sieged Teleroth's keep. Guardian fell in the fray, so the secret of his past may never be revealed, though it should be noted that the moment he was destroyed, the earth shook and a loud roar was heard miles off into the distance (due north). This roar was that of the legendary Tarrasque, which had been sealed by Azereus only to be released now and wreak havoc on the world. You were able to stop it and now see that followers of Orcus had been orchestrating its moves.
    • Dying Gods: While "confirmed" by Asmodeus, he may be omitting some truths. Regardless, the divine connection once felt by those who would worship has been lost, aside from a few select devout practitioners. The last living Solar that Xavier encountered expressed a similar concern.
    • Call to Arms Against the Undead: King Crassus of Cypress has issued a call to arms for all willing and able warriors to join his cause, as an undead epidemic has spread across the realm. It has been said that he has secured the entire island of the Kingdom of Cypress and has arrived upon the mainland. Rurik, among others, was last heard to be joining his ranks.
      UPDATE: His kingdom seems overly policed and strict. This may be due tot he stress of ruling a kingdom of such size, but Crassus does eem different than Xavier remembers him.
    • Tribal Expansion: Bear Ghost has reclaimed his tribe from the wicked green dragon Garyxkilla. He has now expanded the presence of his tribe by recruiting and conquering many other monstrous tribes, including goblins, kobolds, giants, gnolls, and the like. The fact that he keeps "evil" company has not been addressed yet, but may be of concern.
    • Alchemical Rival: Vyncis Nere, an old acquaintance of Dr. Nimm appeared abruptly with an airship of his own, to once again pester Nimm's work. He was ultimately embarrassed when his minion fell to Nimm's and took his leave, but how he found you and what he may be up to remains cause for suspicion.
      UPDATE: Ruxium was present during the siege of Teleroth's keep, but Vyncis stayed out of the fray-- or at least out of sight. This is likely not the last you've seen of him...

And as requested, some important NPCs:

Spoiler: NPCs
    Show

Spoiler: Leena
    Show

Having witnessed her entire family massacred by goblins, Leena and the wolf cub who she named Reli after her fallen brother Aurelios, were among the very few survivors of her elven community. She swore to avenge their deaths and began a campaign spilled with blood and hatred. She took down camp after camp, ultimately finding that goblins were simply pawns of many a giant and dragon, who she swore to slay as well. She has become a fierce protector of the wild, her elven brethren, and looks to maintain a sense of balance as the hordes of undead threaten the very essence of life in the realm. The ever expanding kingdom of Crassus seems to be irksome as well.

Spoiler: King Crassus of Cypress
    Show

Born from humble beginnings as little more than hired help, the now famed warrior grew in power when he was pronounced the first king of the quaint town of Cypress. Since his crowning, he has split his time adventuring and growing his kingdom, uniting all villages on the island under a single banner and has now taken up the arduous task of tackling the widespread undead plague even outside of his island. He is a powerful and highly skilled warrior, known for his near-impenetrable defense and is often seen flying on his signature carpet. His kingdom has now conquered the entire island and now has spread onto the main continent of the realm, with each village being claimed for Cypress and the defense of the realm.

Spoiler: Bear Ghost
    Show

One of many bastard children to a powerful orc chieftain, Bear Ghost, whose name was taken for his strength and fearlessness (as strong as a bear and not afraid of a ghost), is a savage warrior who grew to embrace his primal, berserk nature. Oftentimes a liability on the battlefield, it is said that he once slew a Titan with but a single blow. He has since returned to his people only to find them worshiping dragon gods over the powerful Kord and means to right this by way of combat. He now leads a mixed tribe of human and monstrous creatures, many of which are known to be outright evil in nature.

Spoiler: Christopher Michael
    Show

Once a snobby, lowly cleric of Pelor who met his demise by way of his own cockiness, Christopher has claimed to have been brought before Pelor himself in the afterlife as a warrior chosen of the light. His return to the mortal realm was mysterious, though always welcome, as he was always a force to be reckoned with in his deity's plans in thwarting the forces of Nerull and the undead. He has recently gone into solitude, as the light of Pelor has been dimmed in current times, raising a number of questions for all who believe. He has last been seen back at the island of Cypress, his place of birth, healing the sick and trying to restore hope to the broken people there.

Spoiler: Kyle
    Show

An old friend of both Bear Ghost and Artemis, Kyle tends to always speak last, if ever at all. Constantly lurking in the shadows, his ability to vanish always came in good use when Bear Ghost's rage was too much for him to control. He was last heard to have traveled to the far east seeking to further master his art. Reunited with the party, he lives up to his legendary stealth and will serve as a reliable addition when called upon.

Spoiler: Artemis D'raven
    Show

Originally having ventured alongside Bear Ghost and Kyle, Artemis found himself out of sorts lurking the dungeons and the wild, much preferring a stocked library instead. A diviner, he prides himself on the study of all things academic as well as the arcane and even has taken it upon himself to fashion a few magical trinkets from time to time. He became a leader in the legendary Academy-- a floating fortress known only to the most inquisitive of minds, only for it to have fallen to assaults by devils, demons, and even dragons. He means to return to help rebuild but has taken an interest in the failing magic in the realm and has offered his assistance to the party in further exploring the situation. He has now returned to help rebuild The Academy, where he remains a resource for the party if ever in time of need.

Spoiler: Rurik Ironhelm
    Show

Tutor to Arcivus, Rurik had even squired Sir Ian before he turned to evil. A warrior through and through, Rurik has made it his life's goal to protect his people and vanquish evil. Whether this evil be fiend, undead, or giant, Rurik can be found at the forefront alongside his griffon companion, Windgore, in cleansing the land. He has recently joined the ranks of King Crassus' army in purging the undead in the main continent.

Spoiler: Teleroth Baine
    Show

Claimed to have been sired by the Archlich known as the Black Scourge in his mortal years, Teleroth has taken a vow to fight fire with fire, harnessing the powers of undeath in his quest. He admits that he knows little of his father, yet stands ready to oppose him wherever or whenever he may appear with an undead army of his own in the making. His keep now destroyed, he will venture with the party and then likely want to return to solitude and rebuild his forces.

Spoiler: Fell
    Show

A mysterious mage, Fell has been entwined in the dealings of fiends and undead alike, yet his motives seem uncertain. Now an ally, his goals seem to be aligned with the party's at the moment, even offering his assistance in Dr. Nimm's airship. The air of suspicion that surrounds him, however, is unmistakable as he seems to answer to and beseech an unknown dark power. This power was revealed to be none other than Asmodeus himself. When asked to be released of his pact, his wish was fulfilled-- and Erick von Cunning II -- Fell's true name, burst into flame and experienced a gruesome and painful demise.

Spoiler: Guardian
    Show

A warrior of the past, Guardian, once the first of his kind, is now the last of his kind-- an ancient relic lost throughout the ages. He was turned to stone by a powerful and mysterious curse that was lifted once the powerful Elemental Orbs were brought near his presence. With vague memories only now returning to him thanks in part to his old companion Ridion having been released from a similar curse, his sole existence now is to prevent the dark warrior Nehlrus, a former companion and even tutor who was seduced by evil, from attempting to revive the Black Scourge who came to power some 1000 years ago. It was last revealed that Guardian was the final key in the sealed Tarrasque, with his death resulting in the beast's return.

Spoiler: Ridion
    Show

A psion lost in time similar to Guardian, his powerful mind was able to maintain much better recollection of events that occurred in the past. According to Ridion, Nehlrus, a powerful warrior companion slew Azereus, their fourth adventuring companion and one of the first of the prominent mages of the time in his decent to darkness in following the Black Scourge. The curse placed on Ridion and Guardian by the Black Scourge remains a mystery and now that they are free of it, keep a vigilant eye in Nehlrus' next move. He fell in battle during the assault on Teleroth's keep, but was able to keep psionics alive in Xavier's new form.

Spoiler: Nehlrus
    Show

Once a noble and skilled warrior, Nehlrus was seduced by the dark Black Scourge and was directed to slay the powerful mage Azereus. Ridion and Guardian were spared in suspended animation, just as Nehlrus acquired the fabled Sword of Kas. It is speculated by Ridion that his goal in amassing undead allies will somehow bring the Black Scourge back from the lower planes to once again wreak havoc among the land of the living. He was finally destroyed during the assault on Teleroth's keep, but it is uncertain whether that is the last you will see of him.

Spoiler: Black Scourge
    Show

A powerful and ancient practitioner of the arcane, very little is known of this lich other than he has ties with Teleroth Baine and existed some 1000 years ago, having recruited the warrior Nehlrus among his ranks. He was defeated in battle some years ago by the party, but a lich's death is seldom permanent. His return has been speculated by many, but is yet to be confirmed. Now known to have been the Archmage, Azereus and father of Teleroth Baine, many of his agents have sought his return, but have been foiled at every turn by the party.

Let us use this first post as a reference for anything that you would like to be remembered as a part of the story. I can always edit the post itself to update content such as new or completed quest items and such.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2018-10-09 at 05:46 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Level/XP
    Show

Arcivus
    XP: 440,000/445,000
    Effective Level: 22

Dr. Nimm
    XP: 590,000/595,000
    Effective Level: 27

Xavier
    XP: 635,000/655,000
    Effective Level: 29

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Epic Level Game - Chapter 3

How do I get email notifications for this new thread?
    Spoiler: Downtime projects
    Show

-Fort Knox safe
    -Custom mundane armor/weapons for squires
    -Buy scrolls at Frost dale
    -Transcribe bought scrolls and Asmodeus scrolls.
    -Collaborate with Xavier on automaton crew design
    -Potions for Arcivus : Haste, Enhance ability, blur, fly(or whatever he wants). As many as downtime allows, up to about 3 or so max.
    -Potions for myself: Fog cloud (smoke bomb), zone of truth (truth serum), sleep (sleep grenade).
    -Change SMART cannon to hand held

3. - Top - End - #3

I think we're ready to head out. We take the Skylance low and slow due to the weather. This will be good training for Alwor.
    Show

-Fort Knox safe
    -Potions for Arcivus : Haste, Enhance ability, blur, fly(or whatever he wants). As many as downtime allows, up to about 3 or so max.
    -Potions for myself: Fog cloud (smoke bomb), zone of truth (truth serum), sleep (sleep grenade).

4. - Top - End - #4

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Nimm View Post
    I think we're ready to head out. We take the Skylance low and slow due to the weather. This will be good training for Alwor.
    Still need to know how many speed pots I should note on my sheet.
    Spoiler: Arcivus Luscient
    Show

HP: 204/204
    AC: 22
    Stats: 25, 10, 18, 10, 12, 20
    Passive Perception: 11
    Saving Throws: Str 8 (13), Dex 1 (6), Con 11 (16), Wis 8 (13), Cha 11 (17)
    Aura of Protection +5 to all Saves for everyone within 30ft
    Aura of Courage/Devotion immunity to Frighten/Charm for everyone within 30ft
    Always under effect of Protection to Evil and Good

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Ketiara View Post
    Still need to know how many speed pots I should note on my sheet.
    You mean celerity or expeditious retreat?

DM: How fast can I crank out 3 speed pots?
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Change of plans. Upon further reflection, I would like to seek out the Silver Dragon in the area. I do not wish to slaughter nor use evil dragons to create my body."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You mean celerity or expeditious retreat?

DM: How fast can I crank out 3 speed pots?
    Over the course of the week, 1 potion of speed or 3 expeditious retreat.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by DM7581 View Post
    Over the course of the week, 1 potion of speed or 3 expeditious retreat.
    There you go Archie
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

9. - Top - End - #9

SolithKnightGuy

There you go Archie
    Awsome... are we still going to the white dragon or the silver one now?
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Awsome... are we still going to the white dragon or the silver one now?
    Xavier wants a silver now. Maybe he will be less indecisive when he gets his magic back!
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

11. - Top - End - #11

Xavier wants a silver now. Maybe he will be less indecisive when he gets his magic back!
    "Forgive my indecisiveness. I have simply concluded I would prefer to consult with a noble and good dragon first. I believe this to be the more logical choice given the options presented to us."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Alexis View Post
    "Forgive my indecisiveness. I have simply concluded I would prefer to consult with a noble and good dragon first. I believe this to be the more logical choice given the options presented to us."
    You all are outside the camp, near the Skylance, discussing your plans. A bit indecisive, at the very least, the giants will not be accompanying you, but now you are wondering just where a powerful silver dragon might be...

What is all this talk about dragons?

Suddenly a familiar voice catches your attention, followed by a low, but non-aggressive growl.

You all look around to see Leena stepping out from out of the forest, with her loyal companion, Reli at her side.

Leena: I came here a few days ago, just to see what was going on... I may have to have words with your friend Bear Ghost regarding the company he keeps...

She considers goblins and orcs to be mortal enemies.

I have chosen not to reveal myself to him just yet, if just to see if there is a method behind this madness... but is something that should not go unaddressed. Are you aware that his tribe has been marauding the countryside and sacking individual cities?

Now that you think of it, and though you did not get a good look, the goblins attacking the last little hamlet you saved from the tarrasque MIGHT have been a part of his tribe, though they were miles away...

It is no matter. I would be willing to help you track a good dragon in the mountains if you would promise to talk some sense into your "friend..."
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

13. - Top - End - #13

"Your hatred of dragons is irrational and bordering psychopathic. I wasn't aware you thought any of them good. How do I know you won't try to murder the dragon?"
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

14. - Top - End - #14

You all are outside the camp, near the Skylance, discussing your plans. A bit indecisive, at the very least, the giants will not be accompanying you, but now you are wondering just where a powerful silver dragon might be...

What is all this talk about dragons?

Suddenly a familiar voice catches your attention, followed by a low, but non-aggressive growl.

You all look around to see Leena stepping out from out of the forest, with her loyal companion, Reli at her side.

Leena: I came here a few days ago, just to see what was going on... I may have to have words with your friend Bear Ghost regarding the company he keeps...

She considers goblins and orcs to be mortal enemies.

I have chosen not to reveal myself to him just yet, if just to see if there is a method behind this madness... but is something that should not go unaddressed. Are you aware that his tribe has been marauding the countryside and sacking individual cities?

Now that you think of it, and though you did not get a good look, the goblins attacking the last little hamlet you saved from the tarrasque MIGHT have been a part of his tribe, though they were miles away...

It is no matter. I would be willing to help you track a good dragon in the mountains if you would promise to talk some sense into your "friend..."
    "Leena, I can certainly understand your feelings on the company Bear Ghost keeps. However, we are in unique times that require old hatreds to be put aside for the greater good so I must advise against violence at this time. For now, we must remain on the side of the living until the undead and demonic scourge we face is defeated. That being said, you have my word I will speak to Bear Ghost and tell him to prevent his tribe from harming any more innocents. You also have my word I will help you exact justice on any who do not heed his command."

I seek out Bear Ghost immediately.

"Bear Ghost, it has just come to my attention that some of your tribesman have been marauding the countryside and sacking cities. Please ensure that this stops immediately."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Your hatred of dragons is irrational and bordering psychopathic. I wasn't aware you thought any of them good. How do I know you won't try to murder the dragon?"
    Leena: Dr. Nimm talking to me about what is or isn't good? I wasn't so sure that you even grasped the concept of morality... but, while I have no love for dragons, even the "good" ones, I know that they are all not evil. Covetous and selfish? Maybe... but I would not go out of my way to slay what might be an ally. Not in these dark times.

Suddenly Teleroth emerges from the ship's chambers. It has been about a week, but the crew still has not warmed up to him. They fall silent as he makes his way down, all keeping a steady eye, with low whispers among them, and keeping out of his way.

Leena looks to ready her weapon, but is able to read the situation.

Leena: So speaking of the war of the living and the undead. And yet, you have found yourselves yet another questionable ally... is he truly on our side?

This time Reli's growl has gotten a bit less non-aggressive. The very brief time that she did meet and acquaint herself at Teleroth's keep seems so long ago She has changed a bit since then, having been lost after the fight with Chromaticus, and then tortured by Asmodeus. She seems a bit (more) emotionally detached to civilization and ever closer to the wild.

It is very evident that she may have a problem keeping his company.

She then addresses Xavier...
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Leena, I can certainly understand your feelings on the company Bear Ghost keeps. However, we are in unique times that require old hatreds to be put aside for the greater good so I must advise against violence at this time. For now, we must remain on the side of the living until the undead and demonic scourge we face is defeated. That being said, you have my word I will speak to Bear Ghost and tell him to prevent his tribe from harming any more innocents. You also have my word I will help you exact justice on any who do not heed his command."

I seek out Bear Ghost immediately.

"Bear Ghost, it has just come to my attention that some of your tribesman have been marauding the countryside and sacking cities. Please ensure that this stops immediately."
    Leena: I am not seeking violence, but rather a stop to it. While I would say that I appreciate his desire to keep the natural world in tact... I am wary of any underlying intentions. It is not like giants and goblins to follow one who would promote peace.

--

Xavier, if you want to depart to visit Bear Ghost, it will delay your leaving to the mountains. FYI.

As you approach the tribe, you see what looks like a rally of sorts. The tribesmen are all up in arms, cheering, as Bear Ghost speaks to them.

Bear Ghost: The strong will quell the weak. It is the way of the land. They infringe on our lands? We take them back! The realm will not fall under the banner of so-called "civilization" nor will we yield to the dead! For the tribe!

And so on.

You navigate through the crowd toward a large fire. There is an unpleasant smell, as if something was recently burned. It is hard to make it out, but if you knew any better, it might have been a live sacrifice and it does not seem like it was an animal.

You finally get a moment aside with Bear Ghost.

Bear Ghost: This is a... complicated matter. See, the warriors I lead, their lands, have been infringed upon by troops from the north. They demand justice and only what is theirs. I take no joy... in doing what must be done.

You do not find this to be 100% believable. His frenzied nature, and even him "accidentally" attacking party members in the past usually lead you to believe that he enjoys bloodshed a bit too much, but it has only been for the greater good.

Bear Ghost: Crassus cannot continue to grow his kingdom as he has been doing. The entire realm will not yield to his law. I have always respected him, but my people now need to respect me and I must put them first. I will agree that there will be no attacks on any further cities. You have my word. But if my people are attacked, I can grant no such wish.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2018-10-14 at 10:31 AM.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Leena: I am not seeking violence, but rather a stop to it. While I would say that I appreciate his desire to keep the natural world in tact... I am wary of any underlying intentions. It is not like giants and goblins to follow one who would promote peace.

--

Xavier, if you want to depart to visit Bear Ghost, it will delay your leaving to the mountains. FYI.

As you approach the tribe, you see what looks like a rally of sorts. The tribesmen are all up in arms, cheering, as Bear Ghost speaks to them.

Bear Ghost: The strong will quell the weak. It is the way of the land. They infringe on our lands? We take them back! The realm will not fall under the banner of so-called "civilization" nor will we yield to the dead! For the tribe!

And so on.

You navigate through the crowd toward a large fire. There is an unpleasant smell, as if something was recently burned. It is hard to make it out, but if you knew any better, it might have been a live sacrifice and it does not seem like it was an animal.

You finally get a moment aside with Bear Ghost.

Bear Ghost: This is a... complicated matter. See, the warriors I lead, their lands, have been infringed upon by troops from the north. They demand justice and only what is theirs. I take no joy... in doing what must be done.

You do not find this to be 100% believable. His frenzied nature, and even him "accidentally" attacking party members in the past usually lead you to believe that he enjoys bloodshed a bit too much, but it has only been for the greater good.

Bear Ghost: Crassus cannot continue to grow his kingdom as he has been doing. The entire realm will not yield to his law. I have always respected him, but my people now need to respect me and I must put them first. I will agree that there will be no attacks on any further cities. You have my word. But if my people are attacked, I can grant no such wish.
    Xavier, you actually sympathize with him... a lot more than most. While the anger and bloodshed of the warrior's life is something to be discussed. There is something very easy about the tribal life over that of the city.

Even the small town of Frostdale, with all its laws and troops policing the streets makes you feel very uneasy. You can't imagine what it might feel like to actually have to live in a larger city, or even in the kingdom.

Spoiler: Alignments
    Show

I AM playing with some importance to your alignment and how it might guide and/or make your character act and feel. Xavier is Chaotic Good, so the Chaotic of him " agrees" with Bear Ghost, to a degree, but is diametrically opposed to the heavy "Law" aspect (likely LN) of Crassus' kingdom.

Use this as a tool, and not a crutch, in how your characters play and interact with people and the environment.

Dr. Nimm and Xavier are more inclined to disregard certain "laws" (also expectations, standards, order, etc.), while Arcivus would follow them or some sort of honor code, so long as it is just/"good" (and possibly aim to change unjust laws, if within his power).

Leena seems more concerned with nature. Teleroth seems to respect order, but is unconcerned with most mortal moral dilemmas.

To make things simple, the kingdom seems heavily Lawful (with no sway in the good/evil), while Bear Ghost's society seems free of such laws, but not purely a chaotic society... the good/evil part is yet to be determined.

Obviously alignment alone will not guide all situations. You can have to LG creatures disagree, etc.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2018-10-14 at 10:42 AM.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

18. - Top - End - #18

SolithKnightGuy

Xavier, you actually sympathize with him... a lot more than most. While the anger and bloodshed of the warrior's life is something to be discussed. There is something very easy about the tribal life over that of the city.

Even the small town of Frostdale, with all its laws and troops policing the streets makes you feel very uneasy. You can't imagine what it might feel like to actually have to live in a larger city, or even in the kingdom.

Spoiler: Alignments
    Show

I AM playing with some importance to your alignment and how it might guide and/or make your character act and feel. Xavier is Chaotic Good, so the Chaotic of him " agrees" with Bear Ghost, to a degree, but is diametrically opposed to the heavy "Law" aspect (likely LN) of Crassus' kingdom.

Use this as a tool, and not a crutch, in how your characters play and interact with people and the environment.

Dr. Nimm and Xavier are more inclined to disregard certain "laws" (also expectations, standards, order, etc.), while Arcivus would follow them or some sort of honor code, so long as it is just/"good" (and possibly aim to change unjust laws, if within his power).

Leena seems more concerned with nature. Teleroth seems to respect order, but is unconcerned with most mortal moral dilemmas.

To make things simple, the kingdom seems heavily Lawful (with no sway in the good/evil), while Bear Ghost's society seems free of such laws, but not purely a chaotic society... the good/evil part is yet to be determined.

Obviously alignment alone will not guide all situations. You can have to LG creatures disagree, etc.
    Arcivus alignment is challanged atm. Both with the lack of his God to seek guidance, but also because of the fight for the Greater Good, and that we are in a rush to prevent the forces of evil. Thus he keeps quiet.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

I must ask Bear Ghost about what was burnt.

"What is going on here? What is the meaning of this?"

If his answer puts my concerns about evil behaviors to rest, I will reply to his concerns.

"Thank you and I will also speak to Crassus about keeping the peace as soon as I regain my magical powers. I have always known him to be good and honorable man. I also believe an alliance between your tribe and his kingdom is the only way we will stand a chance against the evils that would destroy us."

20. - Top - End - #20

Leena: Dr. Nimm talking to me about what is or isn't good? I wasn't so sure that you even grasped the concept of morality... but, while I have no love for dragons, even the "good" ones, I know that they are all not evil. Covetous and selfish? Maybe... but I would not go out of my way to slay what might be an ally. Not in these dark times.

Suddenly Teleroth emerges from the ship's chambers. It has been about a week, but the crew still has not warmed up to him. They fall silent as he makes his way down, all keeping a steady eye, with low whispers among them, and keeping out of his way.

Leena looks to ready her weapon, but is able to read the situation.

Leena: So speaking of the war of the living and the undead. And yet, you have found yourselves yet another questionable ally... is he truly on our side?

This time Reli's growl has gotten a bit less non-aggressive. The very brief time that she did meet and acquaint herself at Teleroth's keep seems so long ago She has changed a bit since then, having been lost after the fight with Chromaticus, and then tortured by Asmodeus. She seems a bit (more) emotionally detached to civilization and ever closer to the wild.

It is very evident that she may have a problem keeping his company.

She then addresses Xavier...
    "Hmph. You are correct. I suppose I owe you an apology.
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I must ask Bear Ghost about what was burnt.

"What is going on here? What is the meaning of this?"

If his answer puts my concerns about evil behaviors to rest, I will reply to his concerns.

"Thank you and I will also speak to Crassus about keeping the peace as soon as I regain my magical powers. I have always known him to be good and honorable man. I also believe an alliance between your tribe and his kingdom is the only way we will stand a chance against the evils that would destroy us."
    Bear Ghost: My clan honors me with what they consider a worthy sacrifice...

He looks away as if not wanting to reveal any more, but neither in denial of what you might suspect.

Bear Ghost: An alliance would be welcome, so long as the terms are agreeable.

I... have had visions. I am not sure if you would understand. Christopher didn’t. Maybe Kyle will. I may be going mad, but at least my people have returned to glory. Go about your mission. We can speak when you return.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arcivus alignment is challanged atm. Both with the lack of his God to seek guidance, but also because of the fight for the Greater Good, and that we are in a rush to prevent the forces of evil. Thus he keeps quiet.
    Alignment is independent of deity, though they are sometimes aligned. You still are bound by your oath, which is where you get your divine power (not necessarily from the gods), but in my world, it is the gods who enable mortals to tap into supernatural powers, especially the divine. The fact that you have retained your abilities, especially where it has been reported that others have lost them, is likely due to your strong, unwavering conviction to your oath and cause.

If you were to grossly violate your oath and/or alignment, you are not sure "how" you might atone for such a trespass, as there are not many, if any individuals out there that you can consider your superior in faith. Typically, this would be through direct communion with a higher power or a representative, but they are now few and far between.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Hmph. You are correct. I suppose I owe you an apology.
    Leena says nothing, but is surprised that you conceded on this, almost in a comical fashion, which is openly noticed in how she cringes her eyebrows and tilts her head. You both look at each other, hiding back a little chuckle, as if the verbal bantering is all a part of an inside joke that you two have had going on since you've known and warmed up to each other.

You take a puff of your pipe in the slight amusement (it typically takes much more mental stimulation to truly amuse you), and then continue pondering far more important matters as you await everyone to prepare to depart.

Xavier has just rushed off, hastily, to speak with Bear Ghost, so you have have about an hour to do next to nothing until he returns.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

24. - Top - End - #24

I will return to the ship as fast possible, flying if necessary.

"Forgive the delay, my friends. I am ready to depart immediately."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I will return to the ship as fast possible, flying if necessary.

"Forgive the delay, my friends. I am ready to depart immediately."
    Yes... depart. As it seems that I am still unwelcome among the living... perhaps it is time that i too depart. It will take me some time to rebuild a lair, but if I have anything, it is time. Further, if we do encounter a good dragon, my presence may complicate any request for assistance.

You all seem well and able enough and I thank you for all that you have done. Nehlrus has been defeated, as have any chnace of my father returning, at least for the time being. I suspect that if what you speak of Orcus to be true, then he is the true adversary. Be wary, as demon lords possess unmatched power and fury.

The crew still has not seemed to warm up to him, and he too seems out of place outside of his lair, where he can remaining, hidden from prying eyes.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

26. - Top - End - #26

SolithKnightGuy

Yes... depart. As it seems that I am still unwelcome among the living... perhaps it is time that i too depart. It will take me some time to rebuild a lair, but if I have anything, it is time. Further, if we do encounter a good dragon, my presence may complicate any request for assistance.

You all seem well and able enough and I thank you for all that you have done. Nehlrus has been defeated, as have any chnace of my father returning, at least for the time being. I suspect that if what you speak of Orcus to be true, then he is the true adversary. Be wary, as demon lords possess unmatched power and fury.

The crew still has not seemed to warm up to him, and he too seems out of place outside of his lair, where he can remaining, hidden from prying eyes.
    Arcivus would have liked for him to stay to learn more about him... But with him here and bear ghosts clan it’s almost too much for him.
    Arcivus make a mental notice to make sure to keep track of this village.
    “Xavier I don’t like what’s going on in bear ghosts clan. I trust your judgement regarding him, but if he is allowing evil to happen then he must be stopped... no matter how powerful an alli he may be against the deamonic threat”
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Arcivus would have liked for him to stay to learn more about him... But with him here and bear ghosts clan it’s almost too much for him.
    Arcivus make a mental notice to make sure to keep track of this village.
    “Xavier I don’t like what’s going on in bear ghosts clan. I trust your judgement regarding him, but if he is allowing evil to happen then he must be stopped... no matter how powerful an alli he may be against the deamonic threat”
    "I agree and Bear Ghost has assured me he will control his tribe. After Dr. Nimm creates my new body, I suggest we visit King Crassus to discuss terms which will solidify an alliance with Bear Ghost's tribe. An alliance that I believe is our best chance to defeat the evils we face."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Off to the mountains... again

Without haste, you all head back out to the Doomblizzard Peaks.

Leena keeps to herself on the ship, and with Reli at her side, few crew members dare go near her.

You all catch up a bit on the journey.

Leena opens up a bit about what has been going on with her.

Leena: I feel indebted to you all. I do not know much of the devils, but what I do know is that they like making deals.

I hope you didn't have to give up too much for me...

He did want me alive though. When... the torture... was too severe, he was quick to correct his lackeys. I figure it was to make sure that I wasn't in too bad a shape, but I wonder why me? I am sure he could have bartered with you for any number of things.

She soon changes the subject, looking out to the vast wilderness from the view of the ship.

Leena: I have been communing with the spirits of nature. Their voices have gotten more and more quiet.

She hesitates.

Similar to the gods I suppose.

The wild has no protector, no guardian. This Crassus of yours continues to expand his empire at the expense of the wild, while it seems Bear Ghost is about to burn it all down to the ground. The undead march and defile the living... Where is Christopher? Always liked him.

You explain that he ran off to fight the undead and is now in Cypress trying to heal the sick and restore hope to the broken people there.

Leena: Typical. Well, hopefully he comes too. We may need him in whatever comes next...

Any additional dialogue?

You begin to approach the mountains. As suspected, the air is too dense to fly through safely. You dock as close as you can. Leena scouts the surrounding area. She says she is going to see if she can get an idea of where you all should head. She heads off and is gone for quite a few minutes.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

29. - Top - End - #29

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Off to the mountains... again

Without haste, you all head back out to the Doomblizzard Peaks.

Leena keeps to herself on the ship, and with Reli at her side, few crew members dare go near her.

You all catch up a bit on the journey.

Leena opens up a bit about what has been going on with her.

Leena: I feel indebted to you all. I do not know much of the devils, but what I do know is that they like making deals.

I hope you didn't have to give up too much for me...

He did want me alive though. When... the torture... was too severe, he was quick to correct his lackeys. I figure it was to make sure that I wasn't in too bad a shape, but I wonder why me? I am sure he could have bartered with you for any number of things.

She soon changes the subject, looking out to the vast wilderness from the view of the ship.

Leena: I have been communing with the spirits of nature. Their voices have gotten more and more quiet.

She hesitates.

Similar to the gods I suppose.

The wild has no protector, no guardian. This Crassus of yours continues to expand his empire at the expense of the wild, while it seems Bear Ghost is about to burn it all down to the ground. The undead march and defile the living... Where is Christopher? Always liked him.

You explain that he ran off to fight the undead and is now in Cypress trying to heal the sick and restore hope to the broken people there.

Leena: Typical. Well, hopefully he comes too. We may need him in whatever comes next...

Any additional dialogue?

You begin to approach the mountains. As suspected, the air is too dense to fly through safely. You dock as close as you can. Leena scouts the surrounding area. She says she is going to see if she can get an idea of where you all should head. She heads off and is gone for quite a few minutes.
    "Leena, we didnt give anything up we werent prepared for, saving you. So dont worry about it. I can relate to your feeling about your connection to nature. I fear nothing will be left of anything if we arent succesful. I would also very much like to find Christopher! Perhaps he may have some answers. I say we should try and find him when we are back in Cypress."
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Default Re: Off to the mountains... again

"Leena, we didnt give anything up we werent prepared for, saving you. So dont worry about it. I can relate to your feeling about your connection to nature. I fear nothing will be left of anything if we arent succesful. I would also very much like to find Christopher! Perhaps he may have some answers. I say we should try and find him when we are back in Cypress."
    "Yes, we will need all of the help we can find for the battles ahead. As long as I draw breath, I will strive to help you bring justice to those who would defile the good and innocent."