The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (IC 2) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

The young maiden takes the goblet from Gazren after falling to her knee's at his approach. Peering into the rich liquid within, she does not hesitate as she brings it to her lips and drinks deeply - so deeply that a stray rivulet dribbles across her chin. It is a greedy, wanton act as she finishes the goblet and sets it aside, a fingertip rising to clean the small mess.

"As you command, my love."
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

2. - Top - End - #722
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl holds up a hand, "Whatever is going on with the plant, we did not know it was here, and we certainly are not responsible for it being here. We just finished killing the only person it could have been. If the thing has something to do with some secret of your order, then take it and get it out of here. That's what we're here to do anyways."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

There is a moment when Alejandro's fangs protrude beyond his curled back lips and his eyes go blank and red with fury. He even raises the saber momentarily, though the Witch quickly composes himself. Lowering the weapon, he says, "My apologies Karl. It's... hard to explain, but yes, I will take care of this."

He approaches the table, and cautiously reaches for the mundane ceramic vase. The plant seems to rustle, as if a small animal had startled from within its vines, and this causes Alejandro to pause. But after a tense moment, the Crone has the vase under one arm. He gestures to the other objects and says, "We may as well gather these as well. Something tells me they are rather valuable."

Aisling had drunk this potion many times before, it was potent; sweet but coppery. Aisling assumed that it were made from a mix of wild berries, and perhaps allowed to ferment with some of the mildly poisonous forest mushrooms. As the concoction creeps down her throat, there are moments where Aisling can hear the crow cawing, the wolf howling, and a strange voice whispering in her ear something like, 'these are the wilds, these are my wilds, these are your wilds' in a voice that was not too dissimilar to Gazren's.

When the potion was drunk, and Aisling could not help but make sure not a drop was wasted, the entire world seemed to crystallize into a warm sharp focus. The room was less dark, the shadows less intrusive. Aisling could see Gazren in his chair, smiling down on her with ecstatic pleasure.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

4. - Top - End - #724
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl nods, and reaches out for the parcel. He doubts that it is truly less dangerous than the gem one way or another, but whatever that affect the other artifact was giving off, surely Julian was better equipped to handle it.

When the three items have been secured, Karl nods, "Lets keep looking, I doubt this is all Gorman has squirreled away"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm happy to wrap this up whenever you are if there's nothing especially specific left. Generally planning more of the same. Cleaning up the site in thorough stages, talking with the other kindred leaders and relevant contacts, pinning down the best way to handle the kine deaths, and then enacting that plan.

By the way, we're taking extra time to check into things, so that opens up a possible alternative I had discounted before. I would like to look into the lives of those known to have worked here. If Prince Gorman had kept a sufficiently tight grip on his servants, they might not have any real connections to speak of outside of this home. If there's no one likely to check after them, then option four would be "Pretend nothing happened". We just clean the place up, have someone new (preferably another kindred so even if we miss some splash of blood somewhere in cleanup its not an issue) move in, life moves on.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-09-18 at 06:14 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Anna picked up a backpack to load items of interest into and continued searching.

“I don’t think we met before tonight, how long have you been in the city?” Anna asked.

Spoiler
    Show
    RP time while we wait for everything to wrap.
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

The rush that came on the heels of that strangely thick brew pulsed through Aisling’s veins with each strong beat of her youthful heart. It was rapturous. When the final drops had made their way down her throat, she glanced down into the depths of the goblet with some disappointment.

She wanted more. Especially if it made her feel so good.

”What…is this, Gazren?” she asked in wonder.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

'Including when I was sucking in air? My whole life. But to properly answer your question I've been a vampire for around a decade, been active in Kindred society for about half that. It... took me a while to cut my sire's strings.' She contemplates saying more but ultimately decides to leave it at that 'I work in the shadows a lot, and I spend a lot of time in the studio, probably why we haven't met before.'

Not to mention I mainly worked for the Prince. Probably best to leave that little piece of history die, along with all the favors I was owed
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2019-09-19 at 05:21 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The parcel was indeed greasy, the contents soft and clearly wet inside. Karl could imagine a molding brisket, or some other cut of beef wrapped up inside the package. It didn't smell rotted, but the thing squelched internally, as Karl threw the parcel under his shoulder, like the meat inside was rich and bloated with liquid.

Julian picked up the jewel with both hands, lifting it daintily like it were a bomb primed to explode any second. The trio probe the room further, finding it otherwise empty of anything other than a thick layer of dust.

Julian says to Karl as the trio exit via the narrow stairwell, "We should get out of here soon. If what you said is true, we will have nights to treasure hunt... but I have little desire to stay in this place much longer tonight." The Dragon says no more, but to a degree Karl understands the implicit statement. It wasn't just that this mansion was creepy, it felt like the structure itself was watching them. Karl could feel Prince Gorman's presence still within the house, his gaze burning the back of Karl's neck from every angle when the Shadow was not looking. This sense of being watched had been present when Karl had first entered the building, but it had multiplied exponentially since the militia had dispatched of The Prince. The awareness pricked at the skin, like the heat brought on by the coming dawn, letting Karl know that he would have to return to his haven soon to hide from the rising sun.

************************************************** *************************************

Aisling's question causes a large grin filled with brown and rotted teeth to spread across Gazren's face. "You will soon find out my dear," the man says, his words filled with a cold humor and a sharp mirth. He rises from his chair and approaches Aisling, squatting down to place a hand on her shoulder. "Now get some rest my dear," the words are said with the utmost concern, but suddenly Aisling felt the weight of the potion on her eyelids, a cloud filling her head with the desire to sleep, "it is so late for you. Sleep."

9. - Top - End - #729
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl grimaces as he picks up the parcel, perhaps he had chosen poorly after all. He nods at Julian's words, "Yes, let us depart, we can set things in motion for the ghouls to handle over the day, and then return."

Karl will contact Anna on the way out, and then seek to collect Aisling from D'Agostino's place.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“Oh, wow yeah I’m pretty young too,” Anna said, trying to find common ground, “but I moved from Hong Kong before meeting my Sire.”

“Just thinking, I don’t want to stay the day anywhere I normally would, probably going to get a hotel. Want to join?” she asked.

She figured anyone who literally just helped her kill a Prince would be a good person to spend the day with.
    Spoiler
    Show
    also trying Ooc to get the coterie together.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

With her beloved’s words to her, Aisling nodded mutely, stifling a great yawn with the back of a petite hand. The young maiden leaned in and pressed a soft kiss against Gazren’s hand, before moving to settle softly back onto the pile of hay and straw that had been prepared for her to rest.

Yes. Rest.

That sounded…so…nice….

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It was not long till the Kindred militia and regathered at the entrance to Prince Gorman's now "abandoned" haven. Every individual could still feel the deceased Prince's shadow hanging over them, his vacant glowing red eyes boring down on them as if from the dark corners of the building. His presence was enough to encourage an early retreat back to D'Agostino's. It was now just a little before 4 A.M., with still an hour or two before sunrise, but there was a tacit fugue that hung over the group. Yes, Prince Gorman had been slain, but several of their own Kindred had been killed, including D'Agostino's right hand in Frank Beato.

Julian and Alejandro had put themselves at opposite ends of the party, each holding their own stolen treasure, and casting challenging glares at the other. Fortunately though, their sabers had been left behind.

Tony D'Agostino had been contacted, and was making arrangements for cleaning crews made of Ghouls to take care of the evidence within the Haven, as well as further exploration of the property. It appeared that the Pacific Heights mansion would need to be fumigated for the next few days, which would require the property to be covered, and for workers to regularly be going into and out of the building. Of course this meant that anything further discovered within Gorman's home would belong to the new Prince, a fact that was not lost on the wiser Kindred who took part in the phone conversation.

After this was taken care of, the Coterie had decided to return to D'Agostino's to "take care of" Aisling. (OOC: For some reason Lillith decides she will go along for this. Ladorak, I partly leave this up to you)

Show
    This will be the end of the scene. As previously discussed, I have two interlude scenes planned. My next post will be in the OOC thread, where I will tally up beats ect. for the players and give you a chance to spend XP, change aspirations ect. After this, I will post the beginning of the interlude scene again below.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Interlude 1

The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living.

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Karl, Anna, and Lillith returned to Nicholas D'Agostino's mansion to recover their alley. They are lead up the stairs by a familiar looking elderly butler, who brings the trio into a large and lavishly furnished bedroom. The four poster bed is at least king sized, covered in the softest appearing baby blue linens. Laying in repose on the bed, as if modeled after Sleeping Beauty is the inanimate corpse of Aisling O'Donnell. Her long night-black hair lays in a halo around her pale and placid face. The girls arms are folded, hands wrapped around the pointed stake tip that has just barely penetrated through her ribcage.

The butler, standing in the frame of the entrance, bows to the three vampires and says, "She is yours. I have tried to make her comfortable." He winces just slightly at this statement, rises from his bow as bones audibly crunch in his spine. He adds, "I will be waiting downstairs, should you lords and ladies need my services," before turning and walking slowly down the hallway.

Though Aisling lay peacefully on the bed, there was no telling what would happen when she was released from torpor. The Gangrel had been on the edge of Frenzy when she had been staked, and who knew what terrible dreams had haunted her unholy slumber.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-09-21 at 11:10 AM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #734
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl looks to Anna, ignoring Lilith for now since he is far from certain what she's doing here at all, "We could just yank it out and run. Hold the door shut until she calms down. I'd rather repay D'agostino for some ruined furnishings than risk yet another life or death fight this night, I'm exhausted as it is. What do you think?"
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-09-21 at 11:43 AM.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

“I’m thirsty, and I want my sword,” Anna said, “let’s get this over with.”

Anna pulled out a pair of handcuffs and cuffed Aisling’s wrist to the bedpost, then yanked the stake out of her chest.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The stake comes out with a wet sucking motion, and the scrape of bones, as if Aisling's tissues had begun to grow themselves around the piece of wood.

Aisling's world slowly comes into focus, sharpened by a burning pain that starts in her chest and reaches out to her tips through every artery, vein and capillary. Karl and Anna are standing over Aisling, and both of them show significant damage, like the two have been through war, and their vampiric bodies lack the blood to recover. There is also a third individual, a lady Nosferatu, who Aisling has never seen. The dreams of Gazren are seared away by the pain in Aisling's chest, a fire reminiscent of the one that had spread over her new haven.

(OOC: Aisling is not frenzying, but she is on the verge of losing self control. This is not aided by her double Bestial condition, "Frightening things make her run. She meets aggressive threats with violence and anger". The condition can be resolved by causing damage in someone's rightward 3 most health boxes.)
    Show

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“Welcome back,” Anna said, “how are you feeling?”
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

Gazren....

The loss of her Sire again, if only a figment of some dreaming dead, was almost as painful as the searing pain in her chest. The Gangrel comes to wakefulness with a blood-curdling shriek and violent convulsions, held in check by Anna's handcuffs.

Realizing, perhaps belatedly, that her movements are restricted, Aisling's eyes - a hairs breadth from frenzied - shoot up to see her friends looming over her.

"Let me out!" She whines, giving the cuffs another erratic jerk. "Let me out!" Trying to block the burning pain that seems to accompany the returned flow of vitae through her dead limbs, Aisling shakes her head wildly. Tears of blood begin to pool in the corners of her eyes, leaving rich crimson streaks against her cheeks as they fall.

"I...I will control myself...." Aisling growled out. "I...promise...."

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Seeing that Aisling wasn’t already in a Frenzy, Anna unlocked the cuffs, preparing to run at a moments notice. She was much more peaceful when she was sleeping and honestly Anna might have preferred to let her stay staked for the day but they didn’t have a good way to transport her or keep her. Plus if she didn’t flip out it’d be good to have her on their side in a fight.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

'Hasn't been anyone's night.' Lilith gives a lop sided smile 'But we're all past the worst of that now. Hi Aisling. We met earlier, I'm Lilith and believe me I know what it's like to watch your world go up in smoke. We got the bastards though, the Prince and the Sheriff. So you have all the time you need to get yourself together.'

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Lilith would have arrived with Anna and she wouldn't have said anything as to why unless she was pressed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

As Anna approached to unlock the cuffs, Aisling went rigid and still. Had her lungs still worked, it was likely they'd be puffing with raggedly, barely contained breaths. Her almost-feral glacial blue eyes watched Anna cautiously...skittishly.

The moment the cuffs were clicked off, the Gangrel was up on her feet, crouching on the elegant and classy bed like a hunched predator. A snarl was on her lips, but that Beast in her breast seeemed to be content at giving a show of being a savage instead of acting like one. It was posturing. Like a wounded animal trying to make other animals believe it was still ferocious even after being bested.

The fact she had lost control and had to be staked was likely to be a sore spot for some time.

Eventually, her wild eyes shifted to Lillith.

"I...think...I remember you? Perhaps..." The Gangrel hissed, though there was more confusion and less malice in her words. He eyes were squinted, as if she was slogging through a mental quagmire of her thoughts, trying to remember all the details that had led up to this moment.

"That is...good." She said, at length, before her eyes widened in horror. "Where is Bernardo and Gabrielle?!"

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl speaks up, "Last we saw them they were about to be rescued from the roof of the theatre. We've been too busy to keep in touch, but chances are they are at the hospital being treated for smoke inhalation before being sent home. Making sure they're in a safe place is our next step, but we need to hurry, its almost dawn."

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

"Yeah seriously, we need to get out of here," Anna said, texting both Gabrielle and Bernardo and making sure they were okay.

"Where are we spending the day today?" she asked, "I have a house but it's a good bet someone knows where it is. We could always try a hotel?"
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-09-25 at 11:25 AM.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

When Anna brings up needing a new place to stay, the scenes of the coterie's haven going up in a bonfire suddenly ignite in Aisling's brain. Lillith's statement about Schultz being "gotten" are obliterated by a wild fear and anger, powerful enough to make Aisling want to howl at the moon, roar like a grizzly, scatter like a fox. Their haven was attacked. Their haven was set on fire. Someone must pay!, the Beast raged in Aisling's mind.

Perhaps her wrath would not be spent on her coterie, but someone would pay. Aisling would draw blood tonight; it was an impulse so strong that it could drive her to face the sun if not met!
    Show

25. - Top - End - #745
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Unaware of Aisling's reaction, Karl states, "A hotel should do well enough. Any remaining assets of the Prince are cut off from their assets in the police department at the moment, so we don't need to worry about sticking to a hotel that takes cash either, so it can be a nice place. I need to grab new clothing and clean up a little first. Hotels tend to be discreet concerning guests, but open bullet holes in said guests is a little beyond that limit." The Mekhet picks at one of the ragged wounds in his torso with some disgust.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-09-25 at 06:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Anna

“Good point,” Anna said, “I’m going to pick up my car first then. My sword is there, for all the good that did, and I have a few outfits as well. Too bad we don’t have time to hunt tonight, I’m Thirsty.”

“Lilith, what are you going to do?” Anna asked.

“Aisling, want to ride with me? Aisling?” Anna asked.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-09-25 at 08:11 PM.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

'I'd rather pay cash if it's all the same to you. We ripped the heart out of that organisation, and killed it's iron fist for that matter, but the Prince had plenty of other hounds. The type that can follow a trail and can strike while you sleep.' Lilith looked down at herself, she had begun the evening dressed uncharacteristically risque. Her little black dress that had left little to the imagination had been much abused. Burns, bullet holes and tears and slashes from nails and blades had left her rather more exposed than she liked. She no longer looked like a socialite, she looked like a hooker having a really bad night.
    'I need to change and pick up my tools and my ghoul, very brief stop. I also really need to phone a friend if I could borrow someone's phone? Mine was in my bag...'
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2019-09-26 at 08:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

Stamping down the heat of rage that was beginning to flicker beyond mere kindling in her dead heart as best as she could, Aisling glanced furtively to Anna. She opened her mouth to say something, but the words died in a low, rumbling growl.

Aisling was up, pacing back and forth near the bed she had been so carefully laid upon. It took her another moment or two to collect her thoughts as best she could, and once again looked to Anna.

”Yes.” She rasped. ”I want…need…to vent some…” The Gangrel waved a hand errantly, the motion a bit frenetic, as if that was explanation enough. She was having a great deal of difficulty putting that need to rend and tear and avenge herself upon something into words.

At least she felt strong enough not to take it out on her own coterie.

Show

How many hours left until Dawn? And is there a target that Aisling would more easily be able to access? I don’t know if she’d be likely to just pick a random stranger off the street and kill them, but I also don’t think she’d know where to find someone with ties to Gorman or the Sheriff.

Maybe Blackstar, but that would end horribly and despite Beastial x2 I can’t see her being that stupid.

"Do...you know where any of Gorman's allies might be?" The Gangrel asked carefully of Anna, Karl and Lilith.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2019-09-29 at 05:26 AM.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“The old Sheriff’s compound maybe?” Anna asked, looking at Karl.

She passed her phone to Lilith. Gabrielle and Bernardo hadn’t gotten back to her, hopefully they were alright.
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl says slowly, "We do not have much time, there could be a fair number of them at the compound, or none at all. Is this the only way?"