The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    For reference this is taken from Alone Against the Flames written by Mike Mason, Paul Fricker, and Gavin Inglis, thank you!

    Do You Hear the Call of Cthulhu?
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
    —H. P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

    Welcome to Call of Cthulhu, a Horror/Investigative roleplaying game of mystery wherein you, an ordinary person, shall encounter and confront the terrifying alien forces of the Cthulhu mythos. Now, to begin is quite simple, and this first introduction shall operate similar to a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story (this is done in order to help with an easy transition between the investigation-heavy Call of Cthulhu, and most other RPGs). Nevertheless, it is time to begin... welcome, to Alone Against the Flames.

    ----
    Plymouth NH, 2:44 PM, September 1st, 1921.

    The sun is high in the sky, a merciless ball of heat. You feel scorched by the time you reach the bus halt in front of Osborn’s Drug Store. It’s a relief to put down your heavy cases and take off your hat for a moment. You fan your face. It has been a long summer here, in your hometown, and yet a curiously empty one.
    You look across the street at the grubby butcher’s shop, the grocers with its faded awning, and the shabby tobacconist. Mistrustful faces glare at you as they pass, eyeing your clothes and luggage. It was your parents’ choice to live here, not yours. You were happy down south as a child, among Providence’s white-walled houses and leafy churchyards. Perhaps this new job in Arkham will supply the change you need.
    Yet everybody you know in the world lives here. You know nobody in Arkham, not one soul. You ask yourself one last
    time if you are doing the right thing.
    The answer is here. None of your supposed friends have come to see you off. You are alone. Whatever challenges lie in Arkham, it will be a new life, and a brave one.
    A small gray motor coach approaches and rattles to a stop. You put your hat back on and pick up your cases.

    Two young men with sullen expressions alight from the coach. One looks you up and down before heading away. The driver also steps down, glancing at you before crossing the road to visit the tobacconist. When he returns, he is rolling a cigarette between his yellowed fingers. He gives it a final twist and examines you as he reaches for his matchbox. He is a thin man in his fifties, dressed in a stained shirt with the bus company emblem. Yet his eyes are sharp in their dark sockets.
    Where to?

    You show him your ticket for Ossipee. From there you will connect to Rochester and Portsmouth, before the coastal line to Newburyport and, finally, Arkham. You should be able to afford a rail ticket for at least some of the way; otherwise this will be the first of many long bus trips.
    Mmm-hm.” The driver scratches the match and lights his cigarette. The end flares as he takes a draw. Then he exhales and gestures to the back of the coach. “Luggage rack’s up there.

    ----
    In Call of Cthulhu (somewhat like most other RPGs) there are eight characteristics Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Appearance, Size, Power, Education, and Intelligence
    • Strength: This is a measure of the physical prowess of your investigator
    • Dexterity: This is a measure of the agility and speed of your investigator
    • Constitution: This is a measure of the physical toughness and stamina of your investigator
    • Appearance: This is a measure of the physical appeal of your investigator
    • Size: This is a combined measure of your investigator's height and weight, also used in determining their force behind their attacks and health
    • Power: This is a measure of your investigator's mental stability, force of will, or spirit
    • Intelligence: This is a measure of the logic and cunning of your investigator
    • Education: This is a measure of your investigator's tutelage, be it from formal education or the "school of hard knocks"

    For the very early image you have of your character, please rank these characteristics in whatever order you choose. No need for anything else than this right now. Also, yes, I understand that this is not really your standard introduction to an In-Character Thread, but let's roll with it!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Let's see, I am thinking an undersized Asian immigrant, probably has to do some tough work for a living in 1920, less opportunities for proper education. I will go with:

    Intelligence > Dexterity > Power > Constitution > Strength > Appearance > Education > Size

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    I guess Asian immigrant could work, although now we'll need to understand how they grew up in Providence, New Hampshire...
    ----

    The driver smokes and watches as you drag your cases to the back of the motor coach. The rack is set inconveniently high on the vehicle. You get a grip on the heavier case.

    You struggle for a few seconds before the driver comes up beside you and lends a hand, still puffing on his cigarette. “Heavy bags for a small ‘un,” he remarks. You judge it best to respond with a simple mutter of thanks.

    The driver flicks his cigarette into the gutter and steps into the motor coach. Its engine coughs into life. You board, grateful that you will be the only passenger for the initial part of your trip at least. With mixed emotions, you watch from the window as the tired avenues of your old home slip behind you, receding into the distance. For a few minutes, you can still see the church spire over the brow of a low hill. Then the road dips and it, too, is gone.
    Arkham is your new home. You will travel there, and make a new start.
    ----

    Note that you have a sanity score that is based on your power, throughout the game this sanity score will most likely fluctuate wildly. In addition, you have a number of Magic Points also based on said power. This will deplete and over time eventually return back to its original score. However, in all likelihood, magic points shall rarely be used by an investigator early on in their career, but it is important to note that they do exist.
    ----

    The coach putters through the countryside. At first, the interior is stifling and your stomach lurches with every bend in the road. However, the driver opens his window, and by switching seats you find a spot where the breeze hits your face. You soon relax into the journey, observing the quaint little hamlets that the coach serves. A heavy-set woman boards at one settlement and gives you a polite nod. She gets off at the next one.
    ----

    You have a certain amount of hit points based on both your Constitution and Size. Your current may fluctuate, but it is unlikely to ever exceed its maximum.
    You also have something called a "Luck score." This is used to represent when circumstances external to your investigator are in question, and also when determining the fickle hand of fate. I will roll this 3d6. I got a 10.

    ----

    The road rises a little, passing cornfields and orchards. The leaves are turning and the trees are alive with glorious reds and golds. You have just begun to doze when the driver takes a tight bend at speed.
    ----

    I will now make a Dexterity roll. What this means is that you'll be rolling a d100 and comparing it to your Dexterity. For now, I hold your stats (mwahahahah), but eventually, I'll hand the character over to you once I feel like you've got a good handle on the mechanics (presumably at the end of the adventure)! So in the meantime, I'll just make a d100 roll. I got a 92. I rolled above your dexterity, which means that I have failed your roll. Interestingly, in Call of Cthulhu, your stats are what actually determine the difficulty of your attempt as opposed to a set DC like in D&D.
    ----

    A desperate yell shakes you out of your reverie of the beautiful view. You feel yourself slide from the seat as the driver spins the wheel and the motor-coach plunges off the road. Too late, you reach for the seat in front. You fall into the aisle and your ribs crash against the edge of the seat opposite. Breath rushes out of you. The coach stops with a thump.
    Your driver leaps from his seat into the road. As you sprawl, dizzy, in the aisle, you hear a string of incendiary curses.
    The driver climbs back into the cab and sees you on the floor. He looks concerned and assists you back into your seat. You see what has happened now. A Fordson tractor has stopped in the road and he had to swerve to avoid this steel obstacle.
    Sorry,” he says. “All them fields and he has to pick the road to park. You all right?
    You don’t think anything’s broken. But you’ll have a colorful bruise for the next few days. The throbbing pain itself should hopefully end with a good night's rest. The driver then backs the coach up a little and threads it around the tractor, glaring at the farmer.
    ----

    You have sadly lost 1 hit point in this accident. Eventually you will heal back up to your maximum, but note that if you sustain a massive amount of hit-point loss, or if you fall to 0 hit points, you will fall unconscious or even die.
    ----

    You resume your journey. The driver takes the curves with more caution than before. He glances over his shoulder at you a couple of times.
    Sorry about before,” he says. “That fella was dumber than a hog. I’m Silas. What’s your name?



    The accident was at least as much Silas’s fault as the farmer’s. But it doesn’t seem shrewd to antagonize the man while he is driving you through the middle of nowhere.
    ----

    Make up a name for your character and I'll mark it down. Please also inform me of your age; for the purposes of this adventure your character should probably be aged between 23 and 36.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    As an immigrant, Sim is used to moving around. Life as an Asian immigrant was far from the best in the 20s and his family had to do anything they could to survive. As such, this trip to Arkham isn't that big of a deal, except he is leaving his family behind for real this time. That strikes him more than the whole "moving to a new town". To him, it is "leaving his family behind". As for his own family, pfft, he has way too much to worried about than that. As a stereotypically unattractive Asian, his dating record is...lackluster to say the least and to form a family he needs more money than he has right now. It's not being materialistic, it's being realistic.

    It is with the mixed feelings that he falls asleep, and wakes up in a horrible fashion. The wound itself doesn't phase him though. He has been through worst in some of the physical-demanding jobs he had taken in the past. "You can call me Sim, Mr. Sim." Funnily, Sim does not have a English name and his first name is just too hard for the others to pronounce correctly in English, so he always goes by his surname. Not very endearing, but well, if he tells you his first name, he considers you a friend.

    "How long have you been a driver around here?" asks the 30 years old Asian.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    The driver simply says, "Long time... real long time." He then falls silent for a while, as you simply gaze out towards the wild forests and hills of New Hampshire.

    The coach turns onto a narrower road, which weaves uphill through woodland. Silas becomes chatty.
    Going to Arkham, eh Mr... erm, Sim? Can’t say I ever heard of the place. Went to Boston once. Didn’t like it. Too much hustle and bustle. You got family there? A special someone waiting?
    The afternoon is wearing on. You see no harm in confiding in Silas about your new life.
    A job, eh? What’s your line?

    ----
    Now it's time for your character to choose an occupation. In Call of Cthulhu an occupation provides you with several occupation skills. It's comparable to a class, but the main distinction is that it's not representative of all your characters abilities, and it does not really affect advancement.
    Some common occupations for investigators include:
    • Antiquarian
    • Doctor of Medicine
    • Journalist
    • Private Investigator
    • Professor
    • Something Else... (we can discuss)?


    Based on what you described, I'm unsure if any of these fit perfectly. Therefore maybe the following list would be better for what you've described.
    • Agency Detective
    • Asylum Attendant
    • Craftsperson
    • Driver
    • Drifter
    • Engineer
    • Farmer
    • Firefighter
    • Hospital Orderly
    • Laborer
    • Mechanic
    • Outdoorsman
    • Police Detective
    • Police Officer
    • Private Investigator
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-01 at 01:41 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    [just saying i have "replied" in the ooc but no rush cuz my net is down till monday. ]

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Oh no! I forgot to subscribe to that thread. I'm dreadfully sorry! Posting there now.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    "Yeah, Arkham..." Sim lightly replied, still keeping his sight on the outside. "Nah, my new job needs me there. Good pay, willing to accept me, can't complaint..." Sim doesn't really like this Silas dude so far, he seems to be prompting a lot but not willing to share. He has met plenty of driver who's more interested in sharing their story than anything, this one was quite the opposite.

    "I work in the morgue, not my first line of work, probably not my last. I never get to the 'real long time' part of any career, just gotta take whatever work that feeds me." He would say more but he feels he should not be that open, yet.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    As you speak you recall the position offered to you in the Arkham Morgue. The Arkham P.D. is quite busy, and as a result many of its ancillary functions are also busy, but this also means better pay. You're not necessarily used to dead bodies per se, but you're certain that you'll get the job done.
    "Huh... bodies..." Silas takes the conversation no further.

    You realize Silas hasn’t made a stop since the incident with the tractor. The motor coach winds its way uphill. However, your thoughts are interrupted as the road crests a ridge and you are treated to a magnificent view of the vista below.
    A creek snakes through the valley, breaking the rich autumn palette of the tree line. In the distance the White Mountains rise into hazy cloud. There is no settlement, not even a cabin, as far as the eye can see. Birds drift through the treetops, and you can just make out what might be two white-tailed deer lingering by the water.
    Perhaps you are making a mistake by moving to the city. Could you survive on your own in this lush wilderness?

    The motor coach rattles on through the hills and Silas lapses into silence. The sky darkens behind you, pinks tinting the clouds as the sun descends. Finally a welcome sight comes into view: a settlement on the crest of a hill. This doesn’t look like the pictures you’ve seen of Ossipee. But perhaps you can persuade Silas to stop while you stretch your legs.
    Minutes later, a harsh stuttering from the engine interrupts your reverie. Silas frowns and rattles the gear stick. The motor coach falters in its ascent. Silas utters a curse you don’t recognize and grinds his teeth, struggling at the wheel. You seem to inch up the hill until you reach the first buildings, low dwellings constructed from a rough red stone. Silas wrestles the coach into a small bay off the road. He scrambles from his seat and makes for the engine compartment.
    ----

    Please give me either a Drive Auto (you consider yourself an amateur in this field) or a Hard Psychology roll (you consider yourself a professional in this field).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-20 at 10:43 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Shat, that is all Sim can think of at the moment. The car doesn't look good at all, the day is getting dark and they are in the middle of nowhere. Sim is all for going all the way and drive until they have a safe place to rest in but can the car really handle that?

    He looks back at the settlement, pondering if it's a good idea to stop the car now and try that, but it just seems...dumb. While Silas is busying with the car, Sim stands silently on the side of the road, trying to pick the least worst options out of all of them. Like, none of them seems to be a smart idea, like at all. Maybe the best bet is to see if the car can keep on running.

    "Errr, anything I can help?" He asks the grumpy man. Not himself, Silas, but yeah they are both grumpy at the moment.

    [Tough choice. I don't even watch horror movies(cuz I am a real puss) and I feel like both choices lead to horror LOL. I am choosing Drive Auto despite a potentially lower success rate cuz I feel that's the better choice IC-wise.]
    Last edited by Goliathus; 2019-10-20 at 05:03 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    I rolled an 83, which is sadly a failure.
    ----

    Silas opens the engine compartment open and sticks his head inside. The hot metal pops and sizzles. He pokes at various components, then withdraws and wipes his brow, smearing it with dark grease.
    I ain’t sure what’s wrong. Might be the oil pressure. Might be something knocked off kilter when we took that spill. Can’t do much until the engine cools neither. And with the light failing… I reckon we’ll be here through the night.” He wipes his hands on a rag.
    The shadows from your surroundings are already long, and the air is chilly. You feel stiff from the journey and a night in the rickety coach sounds unappealing. Silas sees your dismay.
    This here’s Emberhead. Miles from anyplace. I only come through twice a week. But the folks here are good people. May Ledbetter keeps a spare room. She’ll look after you. Up that alley, turn right, first house on the left.
    He scratches his cheek, looks again into the engine compartment, and spits on the ground.
    Meet me back here at eight in the morning and we’ll see how’s we stand.
    ----

    Now we're entering the more freeform part of the adventure. Nevertheless, given that this is still an introductory scenario. I'll be providing little prompts at the bottom of example things your character could attempt so that you can formulate a post in-line with general Call of Cthulhu ideas. In this instance, I have three possibilities.
    1. Head out and look for this May Ledbetter's house
    2. Ask Silas where he's going to stay the night
    3. Challenge Silas about the breakdown
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-20 at 05:06 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    [Had my option set before even reading the OOC part.]

    Sim is no expert in this aspect, and after a brief walk down his memory lane, he is quite certain this is a car model he has never tried before. Silas, as everyone shall be, also doesn't look like he is interested in his "customer" checking his car for him. So, Sim doesn't make any further approach on that.

    He, however, has to think of something about the night stay. All the things indicate that they are unlikely to keep going, which is further confirmed by Silas literally stating so. Frustrated, Sim has both hands on the back of his head as he tries to figure out his options. Thankfully, Silas actually provided one a brief moment later.

    "Okay..." Sim walked for a couple steps before he realizes and stops, "Wait a second, you not coming with me? I mean, you know them but I am a complete stranger. They could be opening the door with a shotgun in their hand. I know I would if I am living around here and a complete stranger is at my door."

    Sim pauses for a moment before continuing, "It's very dangerous to stay here at night. How bout we go together? I am not in a hurry, we can think about the car tomorrow morning, or hey, maybe these good folks will help us tomorrow." A moment of silence follows. "...Can you at least come with me and introduce me to them?"

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Silas shrugs, "If it'll help ya' out..." he then offers to help you with your heavy bags as he did when you got aboard the motor coach. You feel surprisingly weary, considering you have spent all day sitting down. Silas leads you to a modest dwelling with a slate roof. A nameplate reads LEDBETTER, and underneath, a sign in neat copperplate reads, LODGING ROOM. The lane around you is gloomy, but a lamp flickers in the window.
    A breeze chills your face. You’re not about to begin your new life by sleeping in the street. Silas gestures with his free hand and raps on the weatherbeaten door.

    After a moment, you hear footsteps inside the house. A bolt is drawn back and the wooden door swings open. A figure with loose curls and a rough-looking housedress peers at you. Her gaze takes in your traveling suit and your cases. Her voice has a slight Irish lilt.
    Hello. Oh! Hello Silas, fancy seeing you here this time of night." The coach driver nods.
    "Mr... uh Sim, here wasn't sure where to go for a room. Anyway, you got the room open?" You note the singular.
    The woman smiles, "Of course, it's not like we get too many travelers through this part of town... oh, come in come in, you'll catch a cold staying outside. I'll put up a nice cup of tea for you."
    The Ledbetter house feels cramped, with a low ceiling and simple fittings. But it is well kept and a cheerful fire crackles in the grate.
    Silas plops your bags down unceremoniously, "Well, I'd best be off. Don't think there's much room for two here." He chuckles and waves goodbye to May, departing into the darkness. Meanwhile, May hands you the finished cup of tea. You enquire as to her rates, suppressing a grimace. As far as you’ve seen, the village does not offer you many alternatives.
    Oh, you’ll find them very reasonable, but have you come to Emberhead for the festival?” asks May.
    The aroma of the tea is soothing and the cup warms your fingers.
    ----

    Would you like to note that you're just passing through when the whole ordeal with Silas went down, or would you like to inquire about this festival?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-23 at 08:26 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Sim is filled with questions as soon as he sees the "LODGING ROOM" sign and so far a lot of those are unanswered inside the house. First and foremost, why is there only a single room? Is this not a full inn, just someone opening up a room for traveler, maybe? Judging from what Silas says, that sounds like the case here. Then it leads to another question, why have a room for travelers across the woods? Based, again, on what Silas has to say, this is not a popular route. It's hard to shake off the feeling that this house is a little weird, especially with Silas looking like he doesn't want to stay there a second longer than he has to. Like, he said it himself that there are not a lot of options here, yet it feels like he has an alternative in his pocket and he just wants to send Sim here for whatever reason. Is Sim overthinking? Maybe a little, but ****, this is a man that has been taken advantage of by plenty of his former bosses. Well, you know, foreigner in the 1920s did not get a lot of benefit. They are really there cuz they are cheap and their willingness to do what others won't.

    On the other hand, he has no choice, he is tired and this is as best as it can get tonight it seems. "No, not really. We are just passing by and our car has a little problem so, driving through the night doesn't seem like a smart idea. I don't know anything about the festival." The man decides to not tell her too much of his destination and so on, just keeping it simple with his answers. Sim takes a sip of the tea - goddamn it, that's freaking good for tonight - as he glances outside the window. It's pitch black by now and the house just seems more welcoming than ever.

    "Errrr, May, right? If you don't mind me asking, I have some questions. Are you living here...alone? And you get by just by renting room to random travelers?" He takes another sip of the tea.

    [I am requesting a thorough scan of the decoration inside the house, just trying to "explore" what I can. Also, I decided against stalking Silas outside cuz that just seems too metagaming for me. A man tired from a long day of trip shouldn't be that keen to play detective. And I like asking question one by one, if you don't mind me slowing the pace -- sometime I feel like I am better in a chat environment with my preference]
    Last edited by Goliathus; 2019-10-24 at 07:36 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    That's completely fine. Whatever fits you the best. I will note that May has the "Gift of Gab" so she just prattles on and on, but in general, I understand. As for looking around the room, I rolled a 79 for Spot Hidden.
    ----

    The room looks like what you might expect a cabin in the woods to contain, but slightly more urban. Meanwhile, May shakes her head and you glimpse a moment of deepseated anger in her green eyes.
    He always drives too fast. Thinks the road is made for him and him alone. He hit a mare some years back, that was a terrible thing. You should have seen the state of the coach. You’d be surprised at the damage done.
    She sips her tea and gazes past you, into the corner of the room.
    With living here, though, we can’t afford to antagonize the man. He’s about the only link we have to the world at large. And he’s not a bad soul at heart. I suppose that going the same route for fifteen years makes a man careless. You have to forgive him.
    May goes silent for a long moment. Then her eyes flick back to you.
    But you didn’t come here to listen to me blather, and you must be hungry. I can rustle you up a bit of stew. How would that be?
    You ask again about her rates, and May names a price so low you accept it without hesitation. The room is small but comfortable, and the stew dark and hearty.
    ----

    This brings up your question.
    ----

    I happen to have a room, but I make my way doing small odds and ends with my daughter Ruth. Although you remind of my sister. In her letters she always asks if I’m not bored, living in such a small place. She lives in New York. Then she writes about how frightened she is to walk home at night! I ask you.
    You mention your hopes for a new life in Arkham. May doesn’t seem to hear you.
    It’s a small place here, yes, but that means we have real community. Everybody’s face is known. Everybody works together. Nobody is excluded. Except those who choose to exclude themselves, of course. I couldn’t live anywhere else now.
    ----

    There are some prescripted responses (again this is an introductory-esque adventure), but feel free to ask more questions if you have them.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-25 at 04:49 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Sim doesn't necessarily agree with the lady's assessment on the driving. As a worker who has been in Silas' position a lot, he understands the need to go fast, especially on a country road with not a lot of traffic. At the same time, Sim is also not a man who is into constant argument over things like that. He is here to stay for a night and moving on, and has no need to do anything that would reduce his chance of staying here. He doesn't answer May on anything until later, merely sipping his tea and listening. "Oh sure, stew sounds good." That is his first response along the conversation. He can careless what stew it is, he just wants something in his stomach.

    Sim understands a small community quite well. He lived in Chinatown in his youth, but ultimately feels like the world has more to offer than that. He understands staying in the safety zone though but eh, a part of him believes that it's important to be open-minded, to receive more from the outside and not just stay within a certain area and be afraid of new things. That line of thinking does not always treat him well, racism has been a thing in the 1920s, but he never backs down from them.

    "Interesting, so you daughter lives here too? Or somewhere close?" He peeks into the deeper part of the house, curious. The man realizes the house is a bit more modernized than a stereotypical cabin; he wonders if the daughter or her sister in New York has some influence to that.

    "I am grateful that I am here and not in the middle of nowhere." Sim said after (probably) a fair amount of gab from the woman. "May I know where's the washroom?" He asks. Whatever happens to the answer, whether May points or guides him there, he will try to look around more.

    [I am spotting around again on the inner part of the house. Also, Sim will try not to spit out information about Arkham and etc if possible. I see him as a more "passive" person that doesn't want to share a lot if possible(or that's more or less my playstyle, sort of). Also, from a RPG OOC perspective, I like the position of listening more and say less, so the gift of gab works in my favor.

    Sim is more reluctant to talk about:
    - His trip to Arkham
    - Why he chooses that

    But he is more open for things in the long past like his family and etc]

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    May nods at your query, "Don't you worry, she rooms with me, so she won't disturb you."
    ----

    As you're talking to her, I'm seeing how amicable and "warm" you are with a Charm roll, but I sadly rolled a 66 (the dice are not on your side apparently).
    ----

    As the hour wears on, you are amused to hear May transform into a sort of tired tourist guide.
    Of course the views from here are spectacular on a good day. A clear view all the way round. If you’re a painter you’ll be right at home. If your tastes run more to the artisan, there are workshops on Silbury Street. Just at the end here and turn right. They’re not set up for visitors, you understand? But you’ll see the real craftsmen at work. The genuine article."
    It's at this point when you ask for where the water closet is and May points towards a small side room away from everything. You're able to duck around a corner and quickly get a peek around the house, all while May continues to talk. "Now, if you’re looking for freshly baked bread...
    It seems a shame to point out that you intend to be on the road again shortly. You give May no response until you hear her begin to yawn.
    Would you listen to me yapping? Time to turn in. When would you like your breakfast?

    You have a long day of travel tomorrow, so a quick response of 7:00 should suffice, and maybe give you enough time to explore the town a little bit. The bathroom is of little interest, but the door to May's bedroom is open a crack, but as you turn to try and push it open it slams shut. Quickly not wanting to attract too much attention to yourself you head back to the dining room, May smiles at your return and stands.
    As she does so, you hear a clunk behind you. You look over your shoulder, but all you can see is the same wooden door, securely
    closed.
    May tuts. “The young lady of the house. She’ll have been listening to us. Ruth! Come and greet our guest.
    There is a short pause, then the door creaks open. Two wide eyes peer at you from the gap, between tousled hair and a rough nightgown.
    What do you say?
    The eyes blink. “Pleased to meet you.
    Now get back to bed.
    The door closes again.
    My daughter Ruth. Ten years this summer. She’s a delight and a torment all in one. Don’t worry, as I said, she sleeps in with me. She’ll not disturb you. Good night now.
    You retire to your room. It is a little chilly, but you are too tired to worry about lighting the fire. The sheets are clean and the bed soon warms up. The silence outside is strange after living in a town for so long, but you soon drop off.
    ----

    Is this acceptable? Feel free to make any notes that you would like.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    For starter, Sim actually expects the daughter to be an adult until the eventual reveal. This line of thought makes May's answer of the daughter rooming with her weirder than it should have. Sim finds not much of interest from a quick scan on the house -- it really is just an ordinary house in the wood and not much more. He doesn't really mind May's "tourist overview", even though they are quite redundant for a man who is looking to be off by tomorrow morning.

    What creeps him out is the daughter, Ruth. It's not only the initial shock or realization that the girl is just a 10 years old child, but she just seems...a little creepy. Sim expects the daughter of a house that welcomes guests to stay to be much friendlier and outgoing than that. Or maybe he has been overthinking way too much. His mind is function well but his body is telling him to sleep. He did get a "Nice to meet you too." before the door shuts. That's the last words he utters before getting to his bedroom.

    Sim doesn't stay awake for too long, but he does take a look outside the window(if a window does exist), gazing at the outside view for a while before going down and out on the bed.

    [I don't know the room's situation with the window or the view but the look is really me trying to see how many houses are on the view and do they have lighting on for the night(which means there are indeed people living there).

    Can I get a more detailed description of the room after Sim wakes up and there are natural lighting fromt he great sun? Maybe a pause before leaving the room if there are details to be found there. If it's a boring room then proceed to going outside for breakfast.]

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    You look out the small window from your room and the first thing that strikes you are the stars. You cannot help but feel they are brighter here than anywhere you've ever been in your life. Nevertheless, you look around, and soon find that there are no other houses with lights on at this time. It's possible it's on the late side and everyone went to sleep? You're used to staying up late hours, so that must be it. Nevertheless, with that in mind, you head to sleep.

    You dream of fire in the grate; coruscating colors shimmering through the dancing tongues of flame. At first they are tiny, almost microscopic, but they grow, and grow, until a kaleidoscopic inferno spills from the fireplace, spreading across the floor, up the sheets…
    You wake with a start. Daylight glints through the curtains. You get up and examine the grate, blinking the sleep from your eyes. It is quite cold. If you have taken any damage, you may heal 1 hit point back for your night’s sleep.
    ----

    Yes, that's right, Long Rests heal 1 hit point. Let's just say that taking damage is of much more consequence in this game than most.
    ----

    You get a better look around your surroundings as you see that your room has very little furniture, if anything. There's a small cold hearth, a nice bed, a chair, and a desk of sorts. There is of course also the window you looked out of last night.
    As you head out May seems to have no running water, but has supplied some in a ceramic jug. You freshen up at the washstand and go in. She cooks a hearty breakfast and leaves you in peace to eat. At about seven-thirty or so, you are paid up, packed, and ready to go. You bid May goodbye and she wishes you the best for your new career in Arkham.

    You are already tired of your heavy bags. Hopefully, Silas has repaired the motor coach and you can resume your long journey. A sourpuss he might be, but the old driver seemed to understand his vehicle well enough. You pause to check your watch—still twenty minutes early—and round the final corner.
    The motor coach is gone.
    You put your bags down and search the area, trekking up and down slopes and around corners. At the edge of the village, you trace the long road back as it winds across the hills. Eight o’clock comes and goes. There is no coach to be seen.
    A passing villager notices your bags.
    Looking for the bus? I heard him take off at first light. He’s due back in three or four days. If you need a place to stay, May Ledbetter rents a room.” The man raises his hat to you and strolls on into the village.
    You curse Silas under your breath. Perhaps he went for parts. But you wonder if the old goat has stranded you here on purpose.

    May is doing laundry, and looks surprised to see you again. “Forgot something?” When you explain the situation, she offers to store your bags while you try to arrange alternative transport. You are grateful to relinquish the load.
    Nobody here has anything like a car.” She strokes her chin and narrows her eyes. “Maybe you could find somebody with a horse and a cart for your bags. I could ask around later. Try Mr. Winters at the village hall, he’ll know if anyone will. Or ask among the artisans. Their workshops are first left on Silbury Street.” She reaches over and squeezes your wrist. “Don’t worry, I won’t see you sleeping in the street, money or no money.
    You thank May, and turn to face the village.

    You wander the streets of Emberhead without any particular destination in mind. The village is built on a relatively flat upland with splendid views. To the north, the hazy tips of the White Mountains reach for the heavens; to the south, the sparkling waters of Lake Winnipesaukee touch the horizon.
    The village itself takes less than five minutes to cross from edge to edge. However, it is literally edge to edge, as with the exception of the two roads out of town, all that's there is a massive drop-off. You arrived on the winding road to the west. The only other road leaves to the south, following a lower ridge of land as it turns east. In the northernmost part of town, you see the courtyard mentioned by May home to several artisans. Next to that is the town's largest building (which isn't saying too much) - presumably the village hall. Meanwhile, in the southwest of the village, an open grassy space borders a ruined church, its graveyard cresting the cliffs. To the northeast, the three main thoroughfares, with a general store being one of the only real businesses open, meet at a raised black metal structure. It looms, stark against the blue sky.


    ----

    Oh boy, that was long, I hope you got all of that, but basically... where do you want to head now to find transport out of here? Some places of interest that I listed were: The lower ridge of land that heads eastward, the artisan's courtyard, the village hall, the church, the general store, or the raised black metal structure?

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Well, Sim can't say he is surprised, more like disappointed. Over all the scenarios he has pondered while he was going to sleep, this is one of them. It doesn't matter why Silas isn't there, what matters is that he needs to find a way to continue his journey. Sim figures if Silas is coming back, he or May will find him. The village isn't big, at least those people said so, so finding him should not be a problem. For now, he has to get an alternative ready.

    So, his choices are the village hall or the artisan workshops. He is in no interest to fool around so he figures village hall is the best bet. He heads here, looking to enquiry about transport.

    [Finally a post, albeit very short. Errrr, Sim will not leak too much details to the village hall or anyone. If asked where he is headed, he will just say the direction that he is heading or the next city along that line and not Arkham.]

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    The village hall backs against a cliff at the east end of Silbury Street. It’s the largest building you’ve seen so far in Emberhead. It is, however, locked and shuttered. You walk around it, peering through gaps in the shutters. There seems to be one large room, presumably for community meetings, and a smaller annex that serves as an office and archive. One of the windows is bricked up. Back at the main door, you can see no posted opening hours.
    Mr. Winters doesn’t open up mornings, this time of year,” says a gray-garbed woman passing by. “Best come back this afternoon.
    You ask whether the office has a telegraph, you really must get in contact with the morgue or transportation company.
    Don’t know.” She shrugs. “Who would we call?
    You will have to try again later.

    You are beginning to get your bearings in Emberhead. Would you like to explore some more?
    ----

    To repeat my list of exploratory options: The lower ridge of land that heads eastward, the artisan's courtyard, the village hall, the church, the general store, or the raised black metal structure?

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Curses, everything is going against my way. He thanks the woman while keeping his anger and disappointment inside. After taking a deep breath and a few seconds of thinking, he heads for his final option: the artisan's guild...

    He pauses a few steps later and turns back to search for the woman. If he is able to catch up to her, he will ask: "Excuse me, madam. Sorry to bother you but do you know anywhere or anyone I can get talk to to find any resemblance of transport? Just wanna continue on my way as soon as possible."

    If he is unable to track down the woman for any reason, his only option is to heads to the artisan's guild.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    She nods, "There's a bus due in three of four days or so, I think." However she looks down dejectedly, "Other than that, I'm afraid I don't know..." Thus, you head over towards the artisans.

    Not far from the Ledbetter house, on the north side of Silbury Street, there is an open courtyard. The rhythmic tattoo of a hammer seems to announce your approach.
    The courtyard is the busiest location you have yet seen in Emberhead. It is bordered by a ring of workshops. Some are brick buildings, some only rough huts. A blacksmith ceases to hammer, thrusting something red and glowing into a bucket of cold water. A weaver looks up from his loom, blinking at you for a moment before returning to his shuttle. A potter, engraver, and carpenter each work in their own space, exchanging friendly banter.
    You move among the artisans, chatting about their work. Eventually you bring up the question of export. Some of them send occasional packages with Silas. Some restrict their custom entirely to villagers. You receive no suggestions about alternative transport.
    ----

    As you're looking around, a Psychology roll was made, and you rolled an 8, which is a Success
    ----

    One of the workshops is shut up. When you stray close to it, the repartee between the craftspeople becomes awkward—almost forced. Interesting.
    ----

    You've succeeded in this skill, you might be able to improve it after this adventure.
    ----

    You are beginning to get your bearings in Emberhead. Would you like to explore some more?
    ----

    Reviewing all of the exploration options: The lower ridge of land that heads eastward, the artisan's courtyard, the village hall, the church, the general store, or the raised black metal structure?

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Sim learnt a couple things so far. Everyone seems to know Silas and the man seems to be the village's link to the outside world. Also, transport is near impossible to find. The bus seems to be the only hope he has aside from Silas coming back, which he is bound to be due to how much he frequent here.

    But, what can he do now that he has nothing to do but wait? Maybe he should just walk around and see what's what. The black metal structure is the one he is most curious about, and the one he is heading to first.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    You walk up The Approach, the most central of the village’s major streets. It points directly at the odd metal structure. As you emerge from the shade of the nearby buildings, you are greeted by a magnificent panorama spread from the north to the southeast. The last colors of fall tint the hills in a sleepy gold.
    The structure, by contrast, is made from uncompromising iron, singed black. It supports an immense curved platform at the level of your head. Further struts snake up to a central point. It looks like they may have been some kind of sculpture at one time, but are now twisted and melted beyond recognition.
    An older gentleman passes, looking up at you with rheumy eyes. “Are you here for the Festival?” he asks. “That’s the Beacon. When they light it, night after next, you’ll be able to see it ten miles away.” He gives a little nod of satisfaction, then moves on, leaning on his walking stick.
    Now you notice bundles of wood, tied and stacked against the buildings nearby. Perhaps this Festival would be an interesting diversion. But you really must head to Arkham as soon as possible.
    ----

    As you're poking around this strange edifice, a Spot Hidden roll was made, and you rolled a 92 which is a failure.
    ----

    The main thoroughfares are now becoming cramped, and everything feels strangely like it's pressing in on you within this small town. But would you still like to explore?
    ----

    Going over the exploration options: The lower ridge of land that heads eastward, the artisan's courtyard, the village hall, the church, the general store, or the raised black metal structure?

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Sim is both amazed and afraid by the black structure. In one sense, it certainly looks like a grandeur art piece of...some kind. Sim is a galaxy away from proper art knowledge and he has no doubt a real artist will appreciate it more than him. On the other hand, the structure gives him an eerie vibe. The Festival? Yeah, that does not sound like a good thing either. It's hard to tell from a name as simple as "The Festival", but he always feel like something is not supposed to be good if the details are all hidden from plain view. Like, all the Chinese festivals are clear with their names: "Dragon Boat Festival", "Mooncake Festival". They don't just go "The Festival" and don't tell you nothing.

    Well, not like he cares about it unless it's tonight. His chance of getting a transport today is pretty slim, but if The Festival is few days later, he has no need to care about that. The bus is 4 more days at the most, if he is not being lied to. What the heck is he supposed to do to kill time here though? ****, not like he knows. Maybe some more nature will clear his mind better. Thus, he heads to the open land on the east side.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    The air is fresh and the walk down to the lower ridge invigorating. You notice cultivated fields stretching through the lowlands around Emberhead, and among the crops some livestock, but no horses. Are you going to have to make your onward journey on foot?
    Further down, the road skirts the edge of the ridge and descends. There are a few scattered hovels here, with signs of habitation. They are set a substantial distance apart.
    As you examine them, a door opens, and an older man steps out. He wears a bedraggled suit, but carries a piece of cloth, which he tosses over his head like a hood. As he does this, he sees you and freezes.
    ----

    As he freezes, a Luck roll was made, and I got an 18, which is a Success.
    ----

    The man looks up at the village, scanning the clifftops. You get a brief flash of his face. There is something unsettling about it. Then he turns to walk away from the road. But as he does, he raises a hand and slowly beckons to you.
    ----

    Shall you follow? Or does this seem like an unwise decision...

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    A part of Sim feels like he is too nosy today. On the other hand, what else can he do anyway in this God forsaken area? His "casual detective work" has give him more bad news than good news so far though. For one, the more he investigate the area, the more it creeps him out. He has to believe that he is just overthinking stuff, but some of the things just feel too samey to a horror flick. Also, no horses in sight. That's the worst news of all. He's still going back to the artisan and asking them, but his chance is as bleak as ever. Thinking positively, maybe there are horses somewhere else. May, a native resident, would not say there are if the place indeed has none of them.

    As he thinks on that, a man comes out from one of the houses and he has a bad feeling about the man. It's more instinct than anything, but the brief exchange of their eye sights do not go well for Sim. He waves the man good bye, as if he misunderstood the man's hand gesture, and quickly turns around and walks away. He will keep an eye on his back to make sure he is not being followed or anything. One can't be too careful in a strange place.

    [I feel like something is bound to interrupt me soon. But if I am able to leave peacefully - again, doubt it - my next destination is the general store.]

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    You turn back to the road and your core business: getting out of Emberhead and onwards to Ossipee. The ridge gives you a good viewpoint from which you can see the course of the road. It winds with the hills, disappearing into woodland for a while before emerging further on. You lose sight of it somewhere towards a second patch of woodland. By your best estimation, that is at least six or seven miles distant. You see no other settlements or traffic.
    It may be worth taking a chance and walking. The weather is still mild. But you will need supplies before you attempt it.
    ----

    Actually that's it for exploration for this morning, however there may be more options later.
    ----

    Your morning exertions have left you hungry. You roam the streets of Emberhead looking for sustenance. There is nothing resembling the busy cafés of your hometown, or anything that might be called a restaurant.
    It is beginning to look like you will have to get supplies from the general store when May Ledbetter comes down the street with a girl trailing in her wake. This must be Ruth. As she notices you, she races past her mother and approaches you with a smile. This is a different Ruth from the shy creature of last night.
    As she reaches you, she stops and stretches her arms up in celebration. She looks up into your eyes. Abruptly the smile drops from her face and she looks several years older.
    Get out before the festival,” she hisses. “Get out!” She blinks hard, then scuttles back towards her mother.
    May approaches, wrapping an arm around her daughter’s shoulders. She smiles. “How are you getting on? Have you found transport?
    Startled, you explain the frustrations of the situation.
    I’d try Mr. Winters in the village hall. He’s always in of an afternoon. You’ll be hungry by now? Help yourself to any food in the house. The door’s not locked.
    You glance at Ruth where she has squirreled herself behind her mother’s leg. Her eyes implore you to silence.
    ----

    Would you like to ask Ruth about what she said? Ask May about what Ruth said? Or just... stay silent and continue towards the household.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-12 at 09:21 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Goliathus' Alone Against the Flames IC

    Sim greets the the girl with a smile, or as close to a smile as he can in this unlucky day. The girl might looks like a creeper last night, but she is nothing more than a regular girl under the bright sunlight. What comes next is not what he expects, and he hangs there until May eventually comes to greet him. Sim is no snitch of any kind so he keeps the information to himself. He has a bad feeling that the festival is either today or tomorrow, much closer than he initially expected, and that means his chance of getting out is slimmer than ever. Bus does not seem like an option right now.

    Not risking May knowing about their conversation, Sim does not ask her about the festival this instance. "Sadly, no on the transport. Sure, I could use some food." Sim let them be on their way. He decides to go back to May's house for lunch before he decides on his next move. Worst come to worst, he can try to travel by foot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •