New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (IC 2) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

Alejandro shrugs and says, "Sounds like a plan to me." The four vampires exit the building unimpeded.

As they walk across the courtyard, Beato begins striding towards them, flanked by three other Kindred, each armed with rifles. The refrigerator of a man's face is stern, his eyes studying the approaching group with cold study. "What did you find," Frank asks with controlled measured words, "is he in there?"
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“We haven’t seen him yet but there’s a whole lot of dead servants, and they’ve been reanimated,” Anna said, “not as Kindred though, some kind of necromancy. There is one powerful Kindred inside, most likely in the basement. Whoever it is dressed up some of the corpses like dolls so probably not sane.”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"It certainly appears as if the the former Prince has lost his mind, which is all too likely given the frequent diableries he has been committing lately. I am reasonably certain that he is still on the premises, the main question that goes unanswered at this point is whether he is the one animating these corpses through a talent that I at least did not know he had, or whether he has help. At the very least, I do not think we have to worry about too many other people in the way of armed thugs, it looks like he's killed all of those that stayed with him. The animated corpses, at least the ones we were forced to engage, do not present a great threat individually, we should be able to sweep them out easily enough. I suspect that if the prince is capable of planning anything anymore, they are intended as a distraction, something to occupy our attention away from him."

"At present I am mainly concerned with the domination effect that the prince has at his disposal. I suspect that some of us will be forced to fight each other sooner or later. I think we need a plan to handle that, and having been on the short end of that domination affect myself, I would prefer that the plan not be just shooting anyone that starts acting weird"
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

Lilith nodded along with what the others said, she had nothing to add to what they said. She personally had her doubts the Prince was responsible for the macabre scenes inside but this was neither the time nor the place, and certainly not the audience, for that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

At first it looks like Frank is shrugging, his shoulders rising up tight to his ears; but then he throws his head back and laughs. Still grinning, and fangs extended, Frank Beato says, "Well of course Karl, we ARE taking down a Prince!" He frees a hand from the automatic rifle he had slung over his shoulder, and pats it hard on the Mekhet's shoulder. "We are going to have to break some eggs here. Lord knows what powers Gorman has collected. I mean, you said the dead were resurrected in there, that's a Spear trick as far as I heard," he says slamming his pitcher sized hand down on Karl's shoulder again before continuing, "The best you can hope to do is just try not to stare in his eyes. Otherwise, there are gonna have to be some sacrifices... unless you have any better ideas."
    Show

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“He can’t use dominate when he’s so mad he can’t think, right?” Anna asked, “maybe we can make him so angry or scared he succumbs to Frenzy.”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl's frame buckles a little under Frank's exuberant gesture, and then he shudders at Anna's suggestion, "That might work, but frankly the thought of Gorman going that mad is terrifying. My suggestion? Shock and Awe. Hit him with everything we have all at once. Don't give him a chance to respond. That may or may not actually be an option, but if it is, its probably the best we have."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Frank Beato shrugs again, still grinning. He looks up at the building towering behind his companions and says, "Make him mad, or overwhelm him. Same darn thing. We hit him hard, we hit him fast, we minimize his chance to hit back and we take whatever licks we have to take. Are we done talking now? Let's go get us some Prince!"

(OOC: Going in now, or is more planning needed).
    Show

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

Anna fell in behind Beato, holding her pilfered machine gun close and activating her minor obfuscate to blend in with the other Kindred. Now that the moment was almost upon her, she realized just how scared she was. Gorman was ridiculously powerful, stronger than Schultz by far, and the Sheriff took over 100 bullets before finally going down.

What she was doing was insanity, but really the best of bad options. If Gorman wasn’t killed tonight, no doubt he’d be hunting her down later either for revenge or food. At least now she was surrounded by older and more powerful Kindred...

Spoiler
    Show
    lets go.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-08-01 at 09:14 AM.
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

Lilith falls in behind Anna, also using her powers of Obfuscation to blend with the shadows and the crowd. At this point she wasn't even sure why she was still here, she'd helped kill the Sheriff after all. What more could be reasonable expected as a matter of her proof to the new regime? She could slink away and only a few would mark her passing.
    Why was she going back in? She asked herself that as they crossed the threshold of the Prince's domain. Ultimately, as scared as she was, she wanted to see how it all played out for herself.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Beato, and his three companions follow the coterie back into The Prince's Haven, where they are met by Julian of The Ordo Dracul, and two other vampires. The Sworn of the Axe is meticulously cleaning a rusted saber that matches the one carried by Alejandro, though the others carry submachine guns from D'Agostino's stock.

The trio of Kindred don't even startle as the coterie enters. Julian has a cold, emotionless smile on his face, but its to Alejandro that he speaks first, "Everything clear?" The Crone gives a theatrical salute, grinning at himself and the gesture. Julian nods his head, and turning his attention to Beato, says, "We've pretty much cleared this and the second floor. We figure he's downstairs... if he hasn't fled." This last part causes a concerned furrow in the Daeva's dark brow.

"Very well then," Frank Beato says stepping forward, the same hungry alien expression on his face that seems to mark any Elder when the thought of feeding or violence takes hold of them, "then let's not keep our dance partner waiting any longer." He takes a moment to scan the group, before his eyes settle back on Julian, and he says, "Pick a couple of Kindred to take the lead with you Dragon."

Julian raises a surprised eyebrow at this, though instead of protesting, Julian's eyes lock with Anna's, and he says, "Do you and your Coterie want to join me?"

The same insane fear immediately begins to dig its claws into the back of Anna and Karl's mind; the thought of going now to face The Prince, the thought of going in first, possibly as cannon fodder to protect the Elders. This fear climbs its way up the two Kindred's spines, taking hold in the back of their necks, whispering in their ears in the voice of the Beast, "Run, don't accept! Survive! Survive! Survive!"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl says dryly, "That doesn't sound much like shock and awe. Perhaps make plans to hit the target from the flanks while those foolish enough to go first distract him."

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Anna stared at Julian, mouth slightly parted, trying to make sense of the fear gripping her as the seconds ticked by. She wanted to say yes but every bone in her body was screaming at her to say no, and to run home and hide in her bed, or perhaps under it. She forced her rational mind to push through the fear. Perhaps Lady Miho's lessons helped, but she clung to the fact that Julian was the Sworn of the Axe, sworn to protect her, and that he was her teacher. Somehow that poked a hole through the barrier of paralyzing fear. She'd never seen his equal in combat, and she'd never felt safer than when she was by his side.

"Yes," she forced out after several long seconds, "I can't speak for the others, but I'll go with you Julian."

She'd always looked up to him. She liked to believe there was some kind of mutual affection in whatever shriveled husk of emotion Julian might have remaining.
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Beato chuckles at Karl's response, and again pounds a massive hand on his shoulder. "Look kid," he says grinning in a way that makes it very clear his fangs are out and ready, "I wasn't in there, but you were. But my guess is the doors in there are normal size, which means we can only get one or two soldiers in at a time. So someone is going to take the lead... unless you have a better idea." His grip on Karl's shoulder tightens, closing around the Mekhet's collar with inhuman strength till it feels like the bones may pop.

Nearby Julian gives Anna a small smile and the slightest head nod that speaks more than words. He turns to Karl and says, "So are you joining us or not?" He looks over at the mansion, like a knight staring down a dragon.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

'How can we not when you sell it so sweetly?' Lilith checks her weapon over for the umpteenth time 'Let's get this done before daybreak. Lead the way Beato, someone has to.'
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Twisting away from Beato, Karl concedes defeat, "Fine, fine, I'm coming."

He starts muttering to himself in German on the group's way back to the mansion in a low voice, something about a "Panzerkampfwagen"

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Somehow, Julian puts himself between the massive Frank Beato, and Karl Bauer without having to physically impose himself. It's the Dragon's turn to rest a hand on Karl's shoulder, though he is turned to Beato. There is a cold, dangerous look in the man's eyes, but his words are flat and emotionless. "Very good," he says coolly, "then it is settled. Let's get moving. Karl, you will be with me and Anna." There is a moment where it seems Julian is about to curl his lips back and expose his fangs, show his fangs and snarl and possibly even go wild on Beato, but the moment passes.

Julian turns and begins to lead the way back towards Gorman's haven, not waiting for anyone to follow. He flourishes the saber too as he makes his way to the door, and suddenly, the rest of the gathered vampires are falling in behind him. The entrance into the haven is unobstructed. The march down the stairs is not noteworthy, even though they seem uncharacteristically long, uncharacteristically narrow, and completely unlit.

At the bottom of the stairs, Julian, Karl, Anna and Lillith find themselves in a dark narrow hallway that splits in two directions. Only the predatory preternatural vision of the Kindred allows them to see any details in this blackness. The walls are made of concrete bricks, and a thin layer of yellowish grime has seemed to collect there. A look at the floor shows that it is smeared with blood; old blood that collected and coagulated on the floor over a long time, staining the dirty brown carpeting with black puddles and smears like a long narrow rorschach test. The hallways isn't too long, moving in one direction towards what looks like a laundry room, filled with a pile of filled and closed black plastic trash bags. In the other direction, the hallways leads to a door. But piled up in front of the door are three dead bodies. Unlike the animated corpses, these appear to be at least years old; deteriorated rotted corpses that have been arranged like furniture. The three bodies form what appears to be a family, a headless father tall and thin in his dark and dirty suit, a headless mother in a fifties era blouse and white kitchen apron stained maroon at the neck, and a child. The boy's face is rot and bone, its clothes nothing more than cheese cloth and spider webs. But the hair is pristine blonde curls, a perfect collection of locks that that could belong to a wig.

The bodies sit rested on the ground before the door, skeletal arms locked around each other, inanimate and eyeless.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

Lilith stepped forward reluctantly and gave the bodies a good poke, assuming they don't immediately jump at her she will acquire the wig.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Looks to me like the Prince's mind was ready to snap a long time ago. I guess we just gave him one last push over the edge. Lets check the door, somehow even insane I doubt he's hanging out in the laundry room."

20. - Top - End - #650
    Titan in the Playground

Anna

She wanted to make some kind of snarky comment but the Prince was down here somewhere, mad as a hatter.

She shook her head at Karl and quietly moved to the laundry room and tore open one of the plastic bags, and checked inside the machines. If she finds any corpses she will kick them to make sure they’re really dead.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-08-07 at 08:10 PM.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The bodies tumble over at Lillith's touch, stiff masses of inanimate decaying tissue. Lillith bends down to remove the child's wig, only to find that it is indeed an intact scalp. However, the flesh is so old that half of it rips off of the corpse's skull in clumps of golden hair and paper thin leather.

Anna checks one of the garbage bags. At first it appears that there is nothing more than neatly folded clothes, covered in dirt. However, after a bit more digging, in the same bag, Anna uncovers the skeletal remains of a decaying human... or what used to be a human until it grew a pair of long vampiric fangs. This corpse as well is dead, halfway through decomposition.

Julian shakes his head at Anna's discovery, and gives her a look that says, "Of course", before turning his attention back to the door where Karl and Lillith stand. There is a mass of Kindred behind the group, waiting on the stairs, weapons ready. To Karl, Julian responds, "That is likely so. Well, we've looked all over the house, I guess it's time we end this game of hide and seek." He nods at the door behind the collapsed family of dead bodies, moving towards Karl and Lillith with his saber raised to his left shoulder. "Check the door,"
    Show

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

Anna hefts her machine gun and aims it at the door.
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

When no one else makes the move, Julian shrugs, and with sword readied, tries the door knob. Unsurprisingly, the knob barely turns as the lock hits. He gives a small grunt, then seemingly without much effort, rips the entire door from its frame, exposing a maw of pure darkness.

A growl ripples out of the black room, and somewhere deep inside the room a pair of glowing red eyes stare back at the Kindred. "Vermin," comes the boyish voice of Prince Gorman filled with a demonic power, "die!"

The voice triggers a near instinctive fear to blossom in Karl and Anna. Memories of a torture unimaginable; fire and blood letting and insanity. Behind them, the Kindred on the stairs begin to rush forward, preparing for battle!

(OOC: Okay then, everyone please roll initiative. Karl and Anna both still have the Shaken condition which allows you to fail a roll for a beat without rolling.)
    Show

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Init:
    (1d10+4)[12]
    And all that jazz
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl fires his rifle, but then slips off to the side rather than stay and face the prince directly. Let the mob of people behind him do that like he'd wanted in the first place.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    In the door and then sliding along the wall to the right (or the left if the prince seems to be more to the right)

dex+firearms+shortburst-5 defense leaves me with a measly 1d10, but at least its not a chance die [roll]1d10][/rollv]
    Stealth roll (5d10)[1][3][1][9][4](18)

26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl's fire momentarily lights up the unnaturally black room. Moldering tapestries line the brick walls of this attic room, depicting scenes of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. The room is mostly bare, except for a strange stone altar on which a fresh corpse has been strewn, chest pried open to expose an organless chasm.

The Prince seems unfazed by the fire. He stands behind the alter, eyes still growing red, child's face lined with rage and madness, lips curled back like a growling dog to reveal long hungry fangs. The boy's hands are gripping the table, fingers digging furrows into the stone.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

To stick her head out, to be noticed, was the last thing Lilith wanted right now. What she wanted was to press herself as far back into the crowd as possible and all but disappear until the danger passed. However it occurred to her she was uniquely positioned to distract the Prince. It would all depend on the scale of his madness and it's nature, things impossible to discern right now.

'**** it.' She said to herself as she elbowed her way to the front of the crowd 'You only live twice after all.' Once at the front she threw the remains of the scalp at the Prince's feet. 'I was ever your loyal servant, Majesty. And an artistic genius, try finding someone who says otherwise. Why didn't you ever show me your art? Did you fear my critique?' She took a deep breath and held it for a moment, the recently dead find it hard to shake such habits, then she launched into it 'Because you should have! Your work has inherent meaning, true, but that is all that it has. Your composition is severely lacking, the use of color is pedestrian, the repeating patterns are uninspired and the clashing patterns almost blend. The lines are ugly and the flow is nonexistent.
    'But worse than all that, all of it. Your work is derivative and dull, it shows no skill and has no uniqueness.'

Spoiler
    Show
    It may not be clear, the intention here is to drive the Prince into frenzy, or at least have him focus all his attention on Lilith. I'm not sure what to roll here. Would you say manipulation+empathy?
    I'll roll that to save time if I'm right
    man+empathy+emotions
    2+3+1
    (6d10)[5][8][6][5][8][9](41)
    10 again
    (6d10)[6][5][1][6][9][3](30)
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2019-08-14 at 11:48 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

Lilith crushes the scalp underfoot, she was still barefoot but was far beyond any disgust at so little additional gore. She brought the rifle up to her shoulder and squeezed off a short burst.

Spoiler
    Show
    (2d10)[3][8](11)
    10again
    (3d10)[2][8][2](12)

Once she has fired Lilith will move backward, pressing into the crowd
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lillith's shot again lights up the room, and Prince Gorman is still standing there. The child's body stands rigid like a plastic toy, its lips pulled back to show fangs, its eyelids pulled back to expose dark pits of glowing red, its dead skin furrowed with and lined with hate. Lillith's shots must be off, because The Prince never shudders with impact. Instead, as the basement darkens the entire building rumbles with The Prince's voice. "Vengeance!" Gorman's voice bellows, and its as if the entire house trembles under his presence. The air in the basement seems to set on fire for an instant, and then there is the echo of gunfire as Kindred charge into the dark basement. But the gunfire is not coming from the vampires running into the room, but instead from a pair of vampires now firing upon their allies.

All hell seems to break loose as bullets shred the charging vampires from behind. There are screams of surprise and rage, as those in the back of the pack turn to identify their attackers. One is a vampire with a shaved head and a black trench coat, carrying a matte black assault rifle; he's maybe Carthian by how he lucks. The other is the ebony skinned female who had opened the gates to Gorman's property. She is holding her black pistol up, its muzzle producing smoke and fire as she empties shots into the masses.

(OOC: it is now Anna's turn)
    Show

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

Anna sighted down the length of her weapon but just as she was about to fire, but the whole building shuddered with the power of the Prince’s presence. Her hand shook so badly with the realization of the sheer insanity of what they were doing. She knew before she even pulled the trigger that her aim was off.

Spoiler
    Show
    autofailing for a beat.
    TC for short