New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Who was the Rat angry with?

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wait, do they need a Cleric present to see what's happening on the Material Plane?
    I'm not sure how that's relevant to the situation under debate. You're proposing that it would work for 1) each pantheon to debate and come to a conclusion on an outer plane, followed by 2) the high priests of Marduk, Dragon, and Odin relaying the results of that debate.

In this proposal, all the Twelve Gods learn is that the high priests of Marduk and Odin say "The Gods of the West vote Yes" and "The Gods of the North vote No."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, do they need a Cleric present to see what's happening on the Material Plane?
    Probably not, since Veldrina isn't a cleric

More seriously...if they need someone present to vote, I'd guess it's at least easier to observe through a representative.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Well even if intra-pantheon conflict couldn't create a snarl, the gods don't particularly all like each other either. They could come to blows if they were in each others' presence, or maybe they wouldn't be able to find a completely neutral plane where they can interact with each other (I doubt Thor would want Loki to hang out in Valhalla, for example).

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    More seriously...if they need someone present to vote, I'd guess it's at least easier to observe through a representative.
    "A worshipper" is a valid target for Remote Sensing, at least:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/div...#remoteSensing
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I'm not sure how that's relevant to the situation under debate. You're proposing that it would work for 1) each pantheon to debate and come to a conclusion on an outer plane, followed by 2) the high priests of Marduk, Dragon, and Odin relaying the results of that debate.

In this proposal, all the Twelve Gods learn is that the high priests of Marduk and Odin say "The Gods of the West vote Yes" and "The Gods of the North vote No."
    Jasdoif objected that the gods would want transparency, which, in my opinion, is much more likely to mean "Don't you think Loki would want to be sure Odin is indeed conveying what the Northern Gods voted instead of just his?" rather than "Don't you think Nergal would want to know wether Njord said "Yes" or "No" this time?". Because why would the gods care about the going ons of a different pantheon, when their foreign policies amount to "each at home and the sheep will be well kept"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Well even if intra-pantheon conflict couldn't create a snarl, the gods don't particularly all like each other either. They could come to blows if they were in each others' presence, or maybe they wouldn't be able to find a completely neutral plane where they can interact with each other (I doubt Thor would want Loki to hang out in Valhalla, for example).
    Durkon describes his Pantheon as "pretty much one big family" and Hilgya expects to go to Valhalla should she secape Hel. The Twelve looks to be able to work together more or less seamlessly going by Azure City in general and the Sapphire Guard in particular. According to Malack though, the Western Gods probably would need to stay away from each other.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Probably not, since Veldrina isn't a cleric

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "A worshipper" is a valid target for Remote Sensing, at least:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/div...#remoteSensing
    Good enough for me!
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-10-15 at 02:29 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Durkon describes his Pantheon as "pretty much one big family" and Hilgya expects to go to Valhalla should she secape Hel. The Twelve looks to be able to work together more or less seamlessly going by Azure City in general and the Sapphire Guard in particular. According to Malack though, the Western Gods probably would need to stay away from each other.
    One big family where two family members constantly come to blows, and another who is currently scheming to take over the entire family after her dad fooled her into losing all her worshippers and power. Also one of them is kind of a mad, feral wolf?

I dunno. I think Durkon may have been embellishing things a tad.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    One big family where two family members constantly come to blows, and another who is currently scheming to take over the entire family after her dad fooled her into losing all her worshippers and power. Also one of them is kind of a mad, feral wolf?

I dunno. I think Durkon may have been embellishing things a tad.
    Sounds about right. Is your family any different?

You have a point though. (Even though Loki and Thor seem to hang out peacefully most of the time.)
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sounds about right. Is your family any different?

You have a point though. (Even though Loki and Thor seem to hang out peacefully most of the time.)
    Norse mythology is a weird. The gods know that ragnorok is coming, they know how it starts and why, they even know whom kills whom. But they are powerless to stop it and act as they would if they didn't know. I am guessing that attitude carries over to oots. They know Loki will trick and betray them if he gets the chance, but he hasn't done it yet so let's have a picnic.
    Last edited by Prinygod; 2018-10-16 at 09:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prinygod View Post
    Norse mythology is a weird. The gods know that ragnorok is coming, they know how it starts and why, they even know whom kills whom. But they are powerless to stop it and act as they would if they didn't know. I am guessing that attitude carries over to oots. They know Loki will trick and betray them if he gets the chance, but he hasn't done it yet so let's have a picnic.
    I think it's more that they eventually discover that something they have already done will eventually bite them in the ass in the long run.

Odin & Co did not necessarily know yet that imprisonning Loki would lead to his taking part in Ragnarök, but learned about it when he was already imprisonned, for example.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-10-16 at 09:37 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think it's more that they eventually discover that something they have already done will eventually bite them in the ass in the long run.

Odin & Co did not necessarily know yet that imprisonning Loki would lead to his taking part in Ragnarök, but learned about it when he was already imprisonned, for example.
    Its been a long time since I read Norse mythology, but even in your example, why not finish Loki off? There may be a specific reason why they don't, but I seem to have the impression that not even God's can change fate, and know better than to try.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Its been a long time since I read Norse mythology, but even in your example, why not finish Loki off? There may be a specific reason why they don't, but I seem to have the impression that not even God's can change fate, and know better than to try.
    hmm, you are right.

Then again, wouldn't killing Loki before Ragnarök, just send him to Hel and so amount to freeing him?
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

I think everyone has kind of missed that Rat was eventually going to get those souls anyway. If Azure City wasn't sacked and they unmade the world to re-imprison the snarl, he would get those souls (in fact, that's exactly how Hel is planning on getting hers). If they don't unmake the world, they will die eventually and he will get them. Long term, his power is the same no matter when they die (or worse if they die now, since they can't make more Rat worshipping babies). Hel's special case isn't that she was getting a sudden infusion of souls right now, it's that she was getting a sudden infusion of souls she otherwise would have never had access to.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Long term, his power is the same no matter when they die (or worse if they die now, since they can't make more Rat worshipping babies).
    But that's just the thing. until the Fall of azure City, Rat was (one supposes) still hoping to get the Dark One to calm down and so save this world from inevitable destruction. So now either they are still stuck in the Circle (and Rat doesn't like that) or he will get significntly less worshipper (and thus souls) than before because there arre fewer worshippers of his to teach the future generations and fewer places for them to freely worship him in left.

There's also the degree of personnal insult ("HE'S BREAKING MY STUFF!"), that would be hypocritical coming from one of the Sapphire Guard's patrons but that wouldn't be surprising either.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-10-16 at 10:43 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

But that's just the thing. until the Fall of azure City, Rat was (one supposes) still hoping to get the Dark One to calm down and so save this world from inevitable destruction. So now either they are still stuck in the Circle (and Rat doesn't like that) or he will get significntly less worshipper (and thus souls) than before because there arre fewer worshippers of his to teach the future generations and fewer places for them to freely worship him in left.

There's also the degree of personnal insult ("HE'S BREAKING MY STUFF!"), that would be hypocritical coming from one of the Sapphire Guard's patrons but that wouldn't be surprising either.
    I think you misunderstood me. A claim was made that Rat should be happy that he got this big power boost, just like Hel was trying to get. The people trying to explain away that his power boost wasn't as big as Hel's, or wasn't as well timed as Hel's, are missing the fact that he didn't get any power boost at all. There was no upside to his worshippers getting slaughtered, and there are obvious downsides, so I agree that he should be mad.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    I think you misunderstood me. A claim was made that Rat should be happy that he got this big power boost, just like Hel was trying to get. The people trying to explain away that his power boost wasn't as big as Hel's, or wasn't as well timed as Hel's, are missing the fact that he didn't get any power boost at all. There was no upside to his worshippers getting slaughtered, and there are obvious downsides, so I agree that he should be mad.
    My apologies.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

but I seem to have the impression that not even God's can change fate, and know better than to try.
    The Norns/Fate keep on weaving the fabric of the future. There was a mild allusion to this by Odin at the Godsmoot.

I see worlds within worlds, and yarn winding yarn

The yarn would be linked to the Norns/Fate/Destiny.

The origin of the name norn is uncertain, it may derive from a word meaning "to twine" and which would refer to their twining the thread of fate
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-10-16 at 03:39 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

I assumed the "yarn windind yarn" was the Snarl.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I assumed the "yarn windind yarn" was the Snarl.
    Clearly it's the Snarl making a Snarl, Jr. Which, in turn, will turn out to be the MitD.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Clearly it's the Snarl making a Snarl, Jr. Which, in turn, will turn out to be the MitD.
    I was thinking of building the World Within the Rift, but your thing works too.

*Watches out for angry grey wolves*
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I was thinking of building the World Within the Rift, but your thing works too.

*Watches out for angry grey wolves*
    Those are also the MitD.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

The Gods of the North do just all get together in Valhalla to decide how they're voting. That's precisely why they need the Godsmoot.

Remember, the gods in OotS exist, but they don't exist in the same way that mortals do. They're dependent on the belief and faith of their worshipers. So when gods interact is when their worshipers interact: For instance, Thor fighting Sutur is a manifestation of Thor's followers fighting Sutur's followers. And so for an entire pantheon to have a group discussion, it's necessary for their significant worshipers to also get together for a group discussion.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    The Gods of the North do just all get together in Valhalla to decide how they're voting. That's precisely why they need the Godsmoot.

Remember, the gods in OotS exist, but they don't exist in the same way that mortals do. They're dependent on the belief and faith of their worshipers. So when gods interact is when their worshipers interact: For instance, Thor fighting Sutur is a manifestation of Thor's followers fighting Sutur's followers. And so for an entire pantheon to have a group discussion, it's necessary for their significant worshipers to also get together for a group discussion.
    Err, no. Hel was contacting the demi-gods to negotiate while her only worshipper was waiting inside the Mechane's hull, not meeting with Hermod's Priestess.

The Gods are dependent on what mortals think they are like, but the idea that they cannot act unless they have one follower mirroring their movements on the Material is ridiculous. How would they even build more worlds?
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rat was angry with Loki, because he got "Ratted" out. :v

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vendanna View Post
    Rat was angry with Loki, because he got "Ratted" out. :v
    Wouldn't Loki be angry since it was the rat "Rat" whom ratted him out to that cat TDO?
    Last edited by Prinygod; 2018-10-19 at 05:29 AM.