New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default That new star wars ... resistance. It was Resistance.

So, I saw the first two episodes of that new star wars show. Where the kid gets recruited for the rebellion, while his dad's a senator?

Is there a trope page for "Idiot Dodgeball", where there are so many idiot balls flying around that the question is more "will anyone dodge the idiot ball"?
    Last edited by keybounce; 2018-10-26 at 01:50 AM.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: That new star wars ... rebellion was it?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Resistance. Which is what I imagine you would be feeling toward the show.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Chaotic Good Human Bard(14th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-10
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-6
    Wisdom-9
    Charisma-23

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

So apparently it reached a 96% score on Rotten Tomato's form Audiences. (A 91% critic score but we know by now I think that the critic score were Star Wars is concerned can be trusted exactly as far as you can throw Lucas Films physical HQ building with your bare hands.)

And I am seeing reports that further looking would tell anyone who cares to do further looking that of the 109 (at the time the people reporting this were checking it.) accounts that gave it a 5 star rating, 105 of them were made during October of 2018 (It's wee hours of the morning October 14th when I am posting this, I saw this at least 2 days ago Oct 12th, month's not even half over.), and all have relatively simple, common names and bare minimum information about themselves, and have not rated anything else.

Someone, in order to give the show positive buzz, appears to be using bots, or just making dummy accounts manually to artificially inflate the score. But because it's A) Such a bad show and B) there's so little in the way of other stuff posted about it form Audiences, it became VERY noticeable VERY quickly that this manipulation is going on.

I wonder whom might, just, just, might, possibly, have a motive to do that? Have a motive to claim that it's a super small minority of people who have problems at the moment with Star Wars, and that the overwhelming majority really do love it, so they should change nothing?

I wonder whom could possibly, conceivably be described to have those traits and have done or said such things?
    "I Burn!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Indian trolls trying to discredit American media studios to make Bollywood more popular, right?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Starwars Resistance is a kids show, for the 12 and under demographic its not intended to be "Clone Wars"
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

So its not for 14 and lower (like CW) but m ore akin to catering for kids with even less demand for even remotely logical plots and mature stuff?

Big shock. WHoever thought that the downward spiral of SW quality would stop anyway? ^^
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    So its not for 14 and lower (like CW) but m ore akin to catering for kids with even less demand for even remotely logical plots and mature stuff?

Big shock. WHoever thought that the downward spiral of SW quality would stop anyway? ^^
    I'm waiting for The Mandalorian. We'll see how that one turns out.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Indian trolls trying to discredit American media studios to make Bollywood more popular, right?
    And they're doing an excellent job
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The Glyphstone: I'm not even Indian but I'm insulted on behalf of Bollywood and Indain trolls at this point that you could even think of them as anything but the superior option to recent Star Wars offerings.

But seriously, either it's the same sort of "Fans" of Star Wars that recently got Lady Gaga in the news by bridging her movie positively and trying to run a negative Brigading campaign on Venom in an effort to drive traffic to her new movie.

Or.

It's one or two of these yutzez at Lucasfilm doing it to run damage control. My money is either on Chuck Wendig before he was terminated, whatever her name is heading up Kathleen Kennedy's Story Group, or Rian Johnson. Every one of them is precisely vindictive and amoral enough to do it and are on record as such.

Lord Vukodlak : That line of defense wasn't Valid When Teen Titans Go was using it. It's not Valid now.

GrayDeath: I gave up any hope of that when Kathleen Kennedy was renewed.

Rakaydos: They renewed Kennedy. The odds of the show being allowed to release with out ham handed political narratives replacing Plot and Characterization are slim to none. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Blackhawk748: They don't need to do the job at all. Hollywood and it's mindless supporters are doing an impeccable job of discrediting Hollywood all on there own.
    "I Burn!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    Starwars Resistance is a kids show, for the 12 and under demographic its not intended to be "Clone Wars"
    Is there really a massive difference between 'under twelves' and 'under fourteens'? Considering the latter gave us Avatar: The Legend of Aang (I cannot type the American title without laughing), I'd expect that we could at the very least get some well written series that don't rely on the idiot ball. Plus at twelve/thirteen* I read Starship Troopers (I really should rereread it), I find the implication that kids can't handle or appreciate good writing and complexity a bit insulting.

'It's a kids' show' does not excuse bad writing. There are a large number of well written series for kids, especially animated shows, some better written than many adult shows (I literally finished my first watch of TLA a week ago, it is amazing). Demographic and writing quality are unrelated, although I will note that general tastes means that you can find a well written show for certain demographics highly annoying (thank you sister who's like a decade younger than me).

* I read it before I read Frankenstein for my English Literature GCSE, so before I was 14.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Blackhawk748: They don't need to do the job at all. Hollywood and it's mindless supporters are doing an impeccable job of discrediting Hollywood all on there own.
    Them making some truly amazing martial arts movies that are simultaneously hilarious helps a bunch too. Personally, i can't wait for Bllywood to become the True Master of Film!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I was just coming here to point this out actually. Well, that and be snarky. Avatar: TLA, Teen Titans, and Justice League Unlimited where all meant for younger audiences, but they're still well written shows with decent plots and solid characters. To imply that 12 year olds don't realize people are being idiots is incredibly insulting to 12 year olds.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2018-10-14 at 07:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Them making some truly amazing martial arts movies that are simultaneously hilarious helps a bunch too. Personally, i can't wait for Bllywood to become the True Master of Film!

I was just coming here to point this out actually. Well, that and be snarky. Avatar: TLA, Teen Titans, and Justice League Unlimited where all meant for younger audiences, but they're still well written shows with decent plots and solid characters. To imply that 12 year olds don't realize people are being idiots is incredibly insulting to 12 year olds.
    Most certainly. Heck, I think Hollywood could really do with the competition. Having to compete with Japanese Anime has done wonders for making western animation get it's game face back on.

There are other exceptional shows that do this as well. Gargoyles and Samurai Jack instantly spring to mind. But yeah, the "it's for kids" defense doesn't even begin to hold water or have any business being invoked. It's an utterly illegitimate argument.
    "I Burn!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Eh, I liked it better than the first episide of Clone Wars.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

So apparently it reached a 96% score on Rotten Tomato's form Audiences. (A 91% critic score but we know by now I think that the critic score were Star Wars is concerned can be trusted exactly as far as you can throw Lucas Films physical HQ building with your bare hands.)

And I am seeing reports that further looking would tell anyone who cares to do further looking that of the 109 (at the time the people reporting this were checking it.) accounts that gave it a 5 star rating, 105 of them were made during October of 2018 (It's wee hours of the morning October 14th when I am posting this, I saw this at least 2 days ago Oct 12th, month's not even half over.), and all have relatively simple, common names and bare minimum information about themselves, and have not rated anything else.

Someone, in order to give the show positive buzz, appears to be using bots, or just making dummy accounts manually to artificially inflate the score. But because it's A) Such a bad show and B) there's so little in the way of other stuff posted about it form Audiences, it became VERY noticeable VERY quickly that this manipulation is going on.

I wonder whom might, just, just, might, possibly, have a motive to do that? Have a motive to claim that it's a super small minority of people who have problems at the moment with Star Wars, and that the overwhelming majority really do love it, so they should change nothing?

I wonder whom could possibly, conceivably be described to have those traits and have done or said such things?

As always I place more faith in Critical ratings over audience ratings that are far less reliable. The only difference between me and you apparently in audience ratings is that I mistrust audience ratings for everything not just this.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    None of those shows were targeted towards that age demographic. They were written to be friendly to that demographic but not directly towards that demographic. Not every cartoon gets to be Avatar, Young Justice or etc etc. Some kids enjoy because they enjoy watching idiots be idiots.

You can rag on Titans Go and how much it sucks all you want. (I personally do enjoy ragging on it and how much it sucks) But a lot of people do like it. Resistance is going after that same fan-base, so I see little point in getting bent out of shape about it. People act like Resistance got a better show canceled in its favor. Most of the reason I hate Teen Titans Go! is Young Justice was dropped in favor of that ****. *deep breathe* Young Justice is coming back

They're bringing back Clone Wars so we're still getting the good stuff, so the most you can say the return of Clone Wars means Resistance gets dumbed down so the two don't compete.
    Last edited by Lord Vukodlak; 2018-10-14 at 10:12 PM.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    As always I place more faith in Critical ratings over audience ratings that are far less reliable. The only difference between me and you apparently in audience ratings is that I mistrust audience ratings for everything not just this.
    The critical ratings Panned Death Wish and Venom and could NOT stop singing the praises of A Star Is Born and The Last Jedi, and were frequently open with it being entirely political.

If that doesn't tell you you cant trust the pros in that industry as far as you can throw the building they went to see the movie in with your bare hands, I don't know what will.

Incidentally, brigading on Venom aside, The Audience score was fairly decent for Venom and Death Wish, less so for Last Jedi. I haven't admittedly checked A Star Is Born cause the only reason I care it exists is the Lady Gaga fans brigading Venom in bad faith, as I have been falsely accused of doing with The Last Jedi, and being given a complete pass, by the same media that made those accusations and still makes them to this day.

Though I'd be shocked to find its doing particularly well.

Edit: Swordsaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    None of those shows were targeted towards that age demographic. They were written to be friendly to that demographic but not directly towards that demographic. Not every cartoon gets to be Avatar, Young Justice or etc etc. Some kids enjoy because they enjoy watching idiots be idiots.

You can rag on Titans Go and how much it sucks all you want. (I personally do enjoy ragging on it and how much it sucks) But a lot of people do like it. Resistance is going after that same fan-base, so I see little point in getting bent out of shape about it. People act like Resistance got a better show canceled in its favor. Most of the reason I hate Teen Titans Go! is Young Justice was dropped in favor of that ****.

They're bringing back Clone Wars so we're still getting the good stuff, so the most you can say the return of Clone Wars means Resistance gets dumbed down so the two don't compete.
    A better show DID get canceled for it. We lost Rebels for it.

And we aren't getting a new Clone Wars series.

Were getting a limited run one off Miniseries to give Clone Wars the planned ending.

That will be locked behind a CBS All Access style pay wall for Disney's new all in house Streaming Service, and censored to fit Disney's sensibility's the moment.

There extremely light, up beat, family friendly, sensibility's.

And don't tell me there feeling like taking risks with the IP at the moment, or that the game of thrones guys won't let us down, and neither will Faloni. In the first case, if that was true, Abrams would not be back in charge of Episode 9. In the second case, if that was to be true, we'd have had to be rid of Kathleen Kennedy, lease she interfere to make sure a clear successor too her that the fans would like be discovered in them. The same goes for the Third Case. If that were true, Kennedy would have to be willing to risk loosing control of Lucasfilm again by allowing someone else to succeed with a project that she can't credibly steal all the credit for herself, and she's far to much of a vindictive, Machiavellian, sociopathic, egomaniacal narcissist to even consider permitting that.

So we did loose a better show for Resistance, were not getting a new one, and Resistance is every inch worthy of the same sort of loathing Teen Titans Go has so richly earned.
    Last edited by Metahuman1; 2018-10-14 at 10:18 PM.
    "I Burn!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The critical ratings Panned Death Wish and Venom and could NOT stop singing the praises of A Star Is Born and The Last Jedi, and were frequently open with it being entirely political.

If that doesn't tell you you cant trust the pros in that industry as far as you can throw the building they went to see the movie in with your bare hands, I don't know what will.

Incidentally, brigading on Venom aside, The Audience score was fairly decent for Venom and Death Wish, less so for Last Jedi. I haven't admittedly checked A Star Is Born cause the only reason I care it exists is the Lady Gaga fans brigading Venom in bad faith, as I have been falsely accused of doing with The Last Jedi, and being given a complete pass, by the same media that made those accusations and still makes them to this day.

Though I'd be shocked to find its doing particularly well.
    I trust that Critics will be honest in their ratings, because that's what they're hired for, to give their honest opinions. This doesn't mean that I will agree with a critic, just that I trust them.

A Critic giving something an A+ Is not a guarantee that I will like the movie, just that I trust that they liked the movie and will listen to the reasons they gave.

And this means that if I find a Critic that shares my views on things, and has similar tastes as I do I will trust that we are likely to enjoy similar movies.

Audience ratings are less trustworthy for that.
    Last edited by Devonix; 2018-10-14 at 10:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I trust that Critics will be honest in their ratings, because that's what they're hired for, to give their honest opinions. This doesn't mean that I will agree with a critic, just that I trust them.

A Critic giving something an A+ Is not a guarantee that I will like the movie, just that I trust that they liked the movie and will listen to the reasons they gave.

And this means that if I find a Critic that shares my views on things, and has similar tastes as I do I will trust that we are likely to enjoy similar movies.

Audience ratings are less trustworthy for that.
    Even when the critics do not talk about anything in the movie, and instead rant about how it offends there personal politics and that's there one and only reason for panning it or praising it, everything else including quality of the acting, script, choreography, sound design, pacing aesthetics, and just inability to have plot holes that you could throw Jupiter through with out touching the edges of them if you aimed a little bit first be damned.

Cause that's what the professionals have shown us they are going to do.

The fact that that's not suppose to be there job can just go straight to hell in there estimate.

It's not about it being a movie you will like or not. It's about them wearing on there sleeves that they have ulterior motives ruling all there ratings and reviews, and that that means they shouldn't be trusted. It would be like if a Doctor needed test subjects for a medical experiment he wanted to do, so he talks that up, despite the fact it won't even, by design, treat what the patient came in to get treated. That doctor would have his license yanked pretty quick in most places, because it's unacceptably unprofessional and the ulterior motive controlling him is similarly not ok.

But movie critics, for comparable behavior, demonstrated, get a pass? I call shenanigan's. They can't be trusted, even a little bit, anymore. Maybe 30-80 years ago they could, but not now, and not for some time it seems.
    "I Burn!"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Even when the critics do not talk about anything in the movie, and instead rant about how it offends there personal politics and that's there one and only reason for panning it or praising it, everything else including quality of the acting, script, choreography, sound design, pacing aesthetics, and just inability to have plot holes that you could throw Jupiter through with out touching the edges of them if you aimed a little bit first be damned.

Cause that's what the professionals have shown us they are going to do.

The fact that that's not suppose to be there job can just go straight to hell in there estimate.

It's not about it being a movie you will like or not. It's about them wearing on there sleeves that they have ulterior motives ruling all there ratings and reviews, and that that means they shouldn't be trusted. It would be like if a Doctor needed test subjects for a medical experiment he wanted to do, so he talks that up, despite the fact it won't even, by design, treat what the patient came in to get treated. That doctor would have his license yanked pretty quick in most places, because it's unacceptably unprofessional and the ulterior motive controlling him is similarly not ok.

But movie critics, for comparable behavior, demonstrated, get a pass? I call shenanigan's. They can't be trusted, even a little bit, anymore. Maybe 30-80 years ago they could, but not now, and not for some time it seems.

The two things are quite impossible to compare. Your example isn't Apples to Oranges. It's Apples to a slab of granite. Film Critics are there to give their opinions on art. Art is completely subjective, there is no right or wrong answer just your opinion on something.

The politics of a work are part of the work. Just as an audience member not liking a work because they believe it has an agenda is a reason that they don't like a movie it's the same reason a critic an like or not like a movie.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

A critic acting as if their beliefs,Political, Religious, or any other do not affect their views on a work of art. Is a critic not worth listening to, because they are lying.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

The two things are quite impossible to compare. Your example isn't Apples to Oranges. It's Apples to a slab of granite. Film Critics are there to give their opinions on art. Art is completely subjective, there is no right or wrong answer just your opinion on something.

The politics of a work are part of the work. Just as an audience member not liking a work because they believe it has an agenda is a reason that they don't like a movie it's the same reason a critic an like or not like a movie.
    So in other words, your admitting that while you dislike my bad Dr. comparison, every other point I made was right and professional critics are no better in any way at all, than just the audience members on the same sites.

Thank you for reaching a point of agreement and understanding with me.
    "I Burn!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

A critic acting as if their beliefs,Political, Religious, or any other do not affect their views on a work of art. Is a critic not worth listening to, because they are lying.
    1: Critics do that all the time. It's one of the first things the overwhelming majority of them will do when that question is raised, or when asked why they should be listened too over, say, me.

2: It's frequently not even there views on what's in the art. It's there views on what they decided was there, even when it runs objectively counter to what was ACTUALLY there.

Take Death Wish. The majority of bad guys the main character takes out are white, he interferes in a situation to keep a African American kid form getting kill BY the all of 2 or 3 African American dudes (and at least 1 or 2 of the White Dudes) he kills all movie long, and he get's all his guns illegally.

According to the overwhelming majority of critics, this movie as a fascist right wing gun nut racist fantasy. Nevermind who's mostly getting killed and why, and never mind

Nevermind that the people there claiming this is a fantasy of would have wanted to buy the guns legally and go to the trouble of filing for background checks for licenses and carry permits and that sort of thing, and that if he was racist or the movie was racist, the majority of bad guys killed would certainly not have been white guys.

And yet you tell me I should trust the same people making these claims as though they were credible. Rather than the audience score in direct opposition too it. the one that just said "Yeah it's a fun R-rated action movie, kind of a throw back in some aspects of style to the 80's, so good if your in the mood for that.".
    "I Burn!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So in other words, your admitting that while you dislike my bad Dr. comparison, every other point I made was right and professional critics are no better in any way at all, than just the audience members on the same sites.

Thank you for reaching a point of agreement and understanding with me.
    Audience reviews will frequently be given not based on an honest assessment of the work itself, but based on other factors, such as not liking the writer(s), the actors, the producing company, or other tangentially associates things about it. There are, for example, a lot of people who want to see the new star wars movies fail, and their existence makes it extremely difficult to tell whether the audience reviews are genuine or based on salty people who are saying they didn't like it because they don't want a new star wars movie that does well.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Audience reviews will frequently be given not based on an honest assessment of the work itself, but based on other factors, such as not liking the writer(s), the actors, the producing company, or other tangentially associates things about it. There are, for example, a lot of people who want to see the new star wars movies fail, and their existence makes it extremely difficult to tell whether the audience reviews are genuine or based on salty people who are saying they didn't like it because they don't want a new star wars movie that does well.
    And your stance is to ignore every other point and pretend this only effects the 1 side?

Please ignore that we know someone is using even worse illegitimate metrics to boost Resistances Score so that it looks better in the hopes of getting people to watch a bad show that had a bad trailer that was not well received.

Please also ignore that Uwe Bole, THAT Uwe Bole, did better in reviews with his most recent movie than The Last Jedi did, something that a year ago would have been unthinkable?

Please ignore the critics as I posted about above claiming there objectively honest out of one side of there mouths while simultaneously telling us bald faced lies about what movies like Death Wish are and are like and there quality and content and slamming them for what was in those lies that they told, not what was in the actual movies?

Audience ratings may be flawed, but there currently dramatically better than the alternative.

Oh, and an aside, Solo lost over 100 Million at the Box Office following The Last Jedi. Black Panther and Infinity War came out closer together than Solo and Last Jedi, both made billions, so I don't want to hear the idea that there's Star Wars fatigue. And there's been excitement for the idea of More Han Solo since those Young Han Solo novels came out in like the 80's, so don't give me that pathetic lame excuse either.

Solo's box office loss was direct backlash form The Last Jedi and Lucasfilm and Disney's spectacular failure to handle it like grown ups with 2 brain cells to rub together, let alone competent professionals.

So based on that much of your customer base just evaporating over it, I'd say those "people" presently look to be the majority of the customer base. Or former customer base, since Disney and Lucas film opted to not have them be customers anymore. That's how you grow your business, right, driving as many customers away as you possibly can? What do you mean that's not how that's suppose to work?
    "I Burn!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

And your stance is to ignore every other point and pretend this only effects the 1 side?

Please ignore that we know someone is using even worse illegitimate metrics to boost Resistances Score so that it looks better in the hopes of getting people to watch a bad show that had a bad trailer that was not well received.

Please also ignore that Uwe Bole, THAT Uwe Bole, did better in reviews with his most recent movie than The Last Jedi did, something that a year ago would have been unthinkable?

Please ignore the critics as I posted about above claiming there objectively honest out of one side of there mouths while simultaneously telling us bald faced lies about what movies like Death Wish are and are like and there quality and content and slamming them for what was in those lies that they told, not what was in the actual movies?

Audience ratings may be flawed, but there currently dramatically better than the alternative.

Oh, and an aside, Solo lost over 100 Million at the Box Office following The Last Jedi. Black Panther and Infinity War came out closer together than Solo and Last Jedi, both made billions, so I don't want to hear the idea that there's Star Wars fatigue. And there's been excitement for the idea of More Han Solo since those Young Han Solo novels came out in like the 80's, so don't give me that pathetic lame excuse either.

Solo's box office loss was direct backlash form The Last Jedi and Lucasfilm and Disney's spectacular failure to handle it like grown ups with 2 brain cells to rub together, let alone competent professionals.

So based on that much of your customer base just evaporating over it, I'd say those "people" presently look to be the majority of the customer base. Or former customer base, since Disney and Lucas film opted to not have them be customers anymore. That's how you grow your business, right, driving as many customers away as you possibly can? What do you mean that's not how that's suppose to work?
    First off, I have no horse in this race. I have no interest in seeing the show. Im clearly not in the target demographic.

Secondly, I gave a couple examples of why audience reviews are unreliable off hand. Youre right, there is absolutely tampering in the other direction as well, which only reinforces the point that audience reviews are meaningless.

The point of critics is transparency. You know exactly who is talking and you have a good understanding of who they are, what they like and don't like, and can hold them accountable if and when their integrity fails. Don't like the critic? Ignore them then. They aren't meant to be somehow better judges of a movie than a random viewer, just that they are somebody with a known opinion and tastes who can usually be counted on to be honest about their impressions.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    First off, I have no horse in this race. I have no interest in seeing the show. Im clearly not in the target demographic.

Secondly, I gave a couple examples of why audience reviews are unreliable off hand. Youre right, there is absolutely tampering in the other direction as well, which only reinforces the point that audience reviews are meaningless.

The point of critics is transparency. You know exactly who is talking and you have a good understanding of who they are, what they like and don't like, and can hold them accountable if and when their integrity fails. Don't like the critic? Ignore them then. They aren't meant to be somehow better judges of a movie than a random viewer, just that they are somebody with a known opinion and tastes who can usually be counted on to be honest about their impressions.
    So close, but failed to stick the landing.

There is enough transparency and accountability with the audience reviews. If there wasn't, I wouldn't know about either the tampering with Resistances Score, With A Star Is Born's score, or with The Last Jedi's score (They included Deadpool 2 reviews for awhile to boost it's numbers, stopping, as far as we know, only because they were publically caught, and still aren't counting any review for The Last Jedi under 1.5 stars, meaning the score should realistically be somewhere in the 20%-30% range.).

Accountability for Critics however? No, see, there professionals. Accountability would involve not getting in to review movies for free and ahead of the public. What we have is a situation were they can use some film school word salad if they feel like not moral virtue signaling about the movie instead and willfully sabotage it by giving dishonest reviews, and then hiding behind "Well, it's just my professional opinion." then turn around and give an interview before there next review about how "Professional Opinions are ALWAYS objective with professional film critics like them.". Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

And it seems there are people who will just support and go along with it.

Hell, just to hold them all to account, I'd have to memorize a list of easily thousands if not Tens' Of Thousands of names, and select likely fewer than 100 out of that whom can be generally trusted for the most part. That's frankly ridiculous for any person to have to do. And it's outright insane to claim that that is a reasonable amount of accountability for paid professionals trying to break the rules.

Better to just accept the better alternative, the one were if it's totally bogus I'll hear about it, like I have with the recent examples, and throw the largely rotten apple tree out.
    "I Burn!"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

You don't need a thousand, or a hundred, or even ten film critics you can trust. If you're trying to decide if you might like something, you only need 1 or 2.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

You don't need a thousand, or a hundred, or even ten film critics you can trust. If you're trying to decide if you might like something, you only need 1 or 2.
    And shifting through thousands and tens of thousands to find 1 or 2 good one's is so much better than just looking at the audience score and maybe doing a quick check for brigading tactics like have been used on Venom or Star Wars Resistance? Cause I gotta tell ya that latter one sounds much faster and with the rate the film critic industry seems to be all going all in on being "Woke", to use the term they seem to be using for it, much, MUCH more consistently reliable.
    "I Burn!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

The key here is that as far as paperwork is concerned TCW and Rebels were for boys 13-17 and Resistance is for kids under 12.

This is a strange decision because Resistance, to my knowledge, isn't on Disney Jr. So it's expected to be for kids but not kids that young, which is weird because that's their actual super young kid network. Instead, at least in Canada where I am, it's on the main non-extended cable network.

The thing is that this is counter productive because Disney Channel has spent the last couple of years trying to reorient itself as being both the hub for everything seriously going on on Disney TV before adult age(integrating other Disney XD shows like Star vs.), and being able to tackle more serious and mature dramatic issues(with shows like Andi Mack). Thus, Resistance even existing is a serious break from the narrative of what Disney XD and Disney Channel are meant to be and what the plans for Rebels were. Rebels was meant to go for a whole extra season and it's closer in tone to what XD wants.

Given Resistance has outsourced production and a lower budget, odds are good this wasn't much besides a ploy to free up Filoni's time and money to justify The Clone Wars, a series that's once again closer to what Disney Channel wants to be airing. But this has to feed Disney's highly expensive and ill advised streaming service so the company is throwing good money after bad here.

To sum it up Resistance is basically emblematic of Disney's stupid political games that most likely killed a more expensive series that in and of itself killed an even more expensive series so Disney can justify reviving that one ultra expensive series and then have another one that cost five times that on top of it, but only release those two money sinks on a platform nobody has yet in order to justify their political games of pulling from a platform everyone has they were making a profit off on an existing contract.

But don't worry if that doesn't work Disney has a backup plan in that they spent their entire company's assets acquiring a bunch of other shows that already exist in other places to broadcast them in that place nobody can watch them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.