New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: That new star wars ... rebellion was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    The key here is that as far as paperwork is concerned TCW and Rebels were for boys 13-17 and Resistance is for kids under 12.

This is a strange decision because Resistance, to my knowledge, isn't on Disney Jr. So it's expected to be for kids but not kids that young, which is weird because that's their actual super young kid network. Instead, at least in Canada where I am, it's on the main non-extended cable network.

The thing is that this is counter productive because Disney Channel has spent the last couple of years trying to reorient itself as being both the hub for everything seriously going on on Disney TV before adult age(integrating other Disney XD shows like Star vs.), and being able to tackle more serious and mature dramatic issues(with shows like Andi Mack). Thus, Resistance even existing is a serious break from the narrative of what Disney XD and Disney Channel are meant to be and what the plans for Rebels were. Rebels was meant to go for a whole extra season and it's closer in tone to what XD wants.

Given Resistance has outsourced production and a lower budget, odds are good this wasn't much besides a ploy to free up Filoni's time and money to justify The Clone Wars, a series that's once again closer to what Disney Channel wants to be airing. But this has to feed Disney's highly expensive and ill advised streaming service so the company is throwing good money after bad here.

To sum it up Resistance is basically emblematic of Disney's stupid political games that most likely killed a more expensive series that in and of itself killed an even more expensive series so Disney can justify reviving that one ultra expensive series and then have another one that cost five times that on top of it, but only release those two money sinks on a platform nobody has yet in order to justify their political games of pulling from a platform everyone has they were making a profit off on an existing contract.

But don't worry if that doesn't work Disney has a backup plan in that they spent their entire company's assets acquiring a bunch of other shows that already exist in other places to broadcast them in that place nobody can watch them.
    Just a small addendum: Were I'm at in The States, it's being Advertised Resistance is to be carried exclusively on the Disney XD channel. Which does not automatically come with most Cable or Satellite channels, and is firmly oriented at trying to target a 10 top Young Adult range audience.

Personally, at this point I don't wonder if part of how there handling this isn't Kennedy insisting it be so, but only so she can turn around when no one sees Clone Wars Finally and Resistance is a bomb, and dump it in Dave Faloni's lap and point at him and say "He did it!".

That way it's an excuse to get rid of him and put someone who's only job qualification being that they are unquestioningly loyal to her.

And in turn secure her position that much longer.
    "I Burn!"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Given Resistance has outsourced production and a lower budget, odds are good this wasn't much besides a ploy to free up Filoni's time and money to justify The Clone Wars, a series that's once again closer to what Disney Channel wants to be airing. But this has to feed Disney's highly expensive and ill advised streaming service so the company is throwing good money after bad here.
    It's amazing how low-quality Resistance looks, visually. It's bad all around, but it also very specifically looks cheap. I don't get that. Yes the 3DCG animation style does have limitations, but it doesn't have to look junky. Polygon Pictures is behind the animation production of both Clone Wars, Resistance, and several science fiction anime productions that all have vehicles moving in space, and Resistance looks so much worse than any of the others. I mean it looks measurably inferior to Sidonia season one, which was made four years ago and Polygon was still working out the kinks in their method and they had a cheap anime budget. This very much looks like a B-team project and it's clear that money was scrubbed out of the budget at many points (perhaps even C-team, if the A-team is working on Clone Wars and the B-team on the Godzilla films). The low-res backgrounds, for instance, are a clear sign.

To sum it up Resistance is basically emblematic of Disney's stupid political games that most likely killed a more expensive series that in and of itself killed an even more expensive series so Disney can justify reviving that one ultra expensive series and then have another one that cost five times that on top of it, but only release those two money sinks on a platform nobody has yet in order to justify their political games of pulling from a platform everyone has they were making a profit off on an existing contract.
    This seems as good an explanation as any for making a show that clearly doesn't have the resources it truly needs to succeed. However, it seems like a really bad scenario overall. Honestly, if they weren't going to put the resources behind the show that it actually needs, then they shouldn't have made it at all.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    And shifting through thousands and tens of thousands to find 1 or 2 good one's is so much better than just looking at the audience score and maybe doing a quick check for brigading tactics like have been used on Venom or Star Wars Resistance? Cause I gotta tell ya that latter one sounds much faster and with the rate the film critic industry seems to be all going all in on being "Woke", to use the term they seem to be using for it, much, MUCH more consistently reliable.
    If I went only by audience reviews All I'd be watching is stuff like The Transformers movies A bunch of Adam Sandler stuff. Sparkle ECT. There are plenty of god awful movies that people love. Hell we're constanly talking about why bad movies keep getting sequels. Well it's because a large majority of people go to see, crap.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    If I went only by audience reviews All I'd be watching is stuff like The Transformers movies A bunch of Adam Sandler stuff. Sparkle ECT. There are plenty of god awful movies that people love. Hell we're constanly talking about why bad movies keep getting sequels. Well it's because a large majority of people go to see, crap.
    No, a profitable enough plurality. You never need most of the people, you only just need enough.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    No, a profitable enough plurality. You never need most of the people, you only just need enough.
    True true. But what I mean is that there are plenty of films that we on these very boards have talked about as being bad that have gotten higher audience than critic scores. And Audience scores are also provably more open to manipulation than critical ones.

For the simple reasoning that every Critical rating has a person behind it with a record of voting, a record of employment. A Record period. While the Audience scores are far more random and unprovable as to how consistent they are with a person's actual opinion on a film.

Case in point, A Film critic has to see a film before they make their review, while an audience person putting a score on RT does not have to see the film.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

True true. But what I mean is that there are plenty of films that we on these very boards have talked about as being bad that have gotten higher audience than critic scores. And Audience scores are also provably more open to manipulation than critical ones.

For the simple reasoning that every Critical rating has a person behind it with a record of voting, a record of employment. A Record period. While the Audience scores are far more random and unprovable as to how consistent they are with a person's actual opinion on a film.

Case in point, A Film critic has to see a film before they make their review, while an audience person putting a score on RT does not have to see the film.
    There less open, actually. With Critic scores, all you have to do is have the right politics as a person on twitter to get them to praise the movie like it's the second coming of Citizen Cain and Orson Wells has descended form acting heaven to make it happen. And then to catch it you either have to check with none critic sources (cause most of them are in solidarity with one another.) or go see the movie or show in question yourself to see if they had anything vaguely resembling a point, which defeats the whole purpose of paying them the least mind to begin with.

With audience scores, you have to use mass bots or brigading, and that **** leaves massive finger prints that are actually traceable in a way that matters. See Venom and Resistance as 2 examples just this month alone.

And don't tell me there not, believe me, if this crap was the least little bit difficult or technical to find, I'd NEVER have known about it.

So what it comes down too, even if I entertain the rest of the argument your trying to make, is that audience scores are, sometimes, wrong. (Cause there are a LOT of really good movies audiences LOVE! Something you seem to have forgotten about in your arguments against audience scores. Avengers, Winter Solider, The Original Star Wars Trilogy, The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, The Dark Knight, need I go on?)

But as has already been covered, professional critics lie. Very, very often. Frequently habitually bordering on compulsively.

So, given the choice between a source that is sometimes wrong.

And a source that lies. A lot. On purpose.

I'm very much inclined to take my chances with the former.
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I've seen the first two episodes of Resistance, and thus far I like it. I don't really like the main character right now, but I like most of the ancillary characters. This puts it about the same as Rebels, in that I didn't initially like Ezra but liked the others, and a bit ahead of The Clone Wars, as I didn't initially like anyone in that except Obi Wan. As far as openings go, I'd say that I liked Rebels' opening more, but The Clone Wars less. I am taking the Clone Wars movie as the opening episodes of that series, and it was, frankly, bad.
    For this series, I am looking forward to a lot of piloting going on. I enjoyed the race scene in the premier, and hope to get a bunch more of that. I also hope the idiot star grows up fairly quickly and isn't a constant drain. The two vendors of parts are the highlight thus far, especially Jim Rash.
    FTR, when it comes to the previous series, I would say that Rebels was more consistently good, while The Clone Wars had higher highs and lower lows. If I'm rewatching, I'll watch every episode of Rebels, while filtering out the bad ones in Clone Wars. But the best of The Clone Wars blows the best of Rebels away.

8. - Top - End - #38

Just a small addendum: Were I'm at in The States, it's being Advertised Resistance is to be carried exclusively on the Disney XD channel.
    And that's a lie, because I've seen parts of two episodes on the main Disney channel.

And it's painful to watch. The graphics are like five-six years back, the characters are bad and I spotted a couple plotholes just in the bits I watched. Although nothing tops Rebels in that regard, because when a six year old asks why the Imperials are too stupid to look at the security cameras and see the exact same people who just blew up stuff are walking around in the street in the same clothes...

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

So apparently it reached a 96% score on Rotten Tomato's form Audiences. (A 91% critic score but we know by now I think that the critic score were Star Wars is concerned can be trusted exactly as far as you can throw Lucas Films physical HQ building with your bare hands.)

And I am seeing reports that further looking would tell anyone who cares to do further looking that of the 109 (at the time the people reporting this were checking it.) accounts that gave it a 5 star rating, 105 of them were made during October of 2018 (It's wee hours of the morning October 14th when I am posting this, I saw this at least 2 days ago Oct 12th, month's not even half over.), and all have relatively simple, common names and bare minimum information about themselves, and have not rated anything else.

Someone, in order to give the show positive buzz, appears to be using bots, or just making dummy accounts manually to artificially inflate the score. But because it's A) Such a bad show and B) there's so little in the way of other stuff posted about it form Audiences, it became VERY noticeable VERY quickly that this manipulation is going on.

I wonder whom might, just, just, might, possibly, have a motive to do that? Have a motive to claim that it's a super small minority of people who have problems at the moment with Star Wars, and that the overwhelming majority really do love it, so they should change nothing?

I wonder whom could possibly, conceivably be described to have those traits and have done or said such things?
    Yeah.... 24 hours later its already down to 66% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

And remember this is the people that actually cared enough to watch it. I didn't even realize it was already coming out.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2018-10-15 at 04:33 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Yeah.... 24 hours later its already down to 66% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

And remember this is the people that actually cared enough to watch it. I didn't even realize it was already coming out.
    Same. I found out it was out from this thread.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

..., and Resistance is every inch worthy of the same sort of loathing Teen Titans Go has so richly earned.
    Teen Titans Go might be misunderstood.

In the past, we had 7 minute reels from people like Warner Bros., full of silliness of various kinds.

Today, we have an 11 minute reel. Slightly different format, but basically the same thing -- silliness.

"Teen Titans Go" does not even pretend to take itself seriously, and does not expect us to take it seriously. This is why the silliness in it works.

"Star Wars Resistance" wants us to take it seriously. But at that point you have to have a serious plot.

The evil overlords list reminds us that if a small child can find a flaw in a plot, that plot needs to be rethought. I think it is time for script writers to take that attitude.

---

Do we need to move the discussion about critics to another thread? I'll be happy to make a thread for you if you want one.

EDIT: my problem with resistance has nothing to do with the low quality of the animation. By some standards, Samurai Jack had low-quality animation. No, my issue is strictly with the plot quality and believability, or lack thereof.
    Last edited by keybounce; 2018-10-15 at 04:40 PM.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Same. I found out it was out from this thread.
    Third. I pretty much wrote the thing off the moment it was announced because it's set in the sequel era, and the movies have done a good job making me not care about that. It needed some pretty strong word of mouth to get my interest past that. Sounds like it's not getting that out of the gate at least. Though I guess we'll see whether that changes down the line - took a long time for me to be convinced to give Clone Wars a try, after all. I literally didn't see that until years after it was finished, on Netflix.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Teen Titans Go might be misunderstood.

In the past, we had 7 minute reels from people like Warner Bros., full of silliness of various kinds.

Today, we have an 11 minute reel. Slightly different format, but basically the same thing -- silliness.

"Teen Titans Go" does not even pretend to take itself seriously, and does not expect us to take it seriously. This is why the silliness in it works.

"Star Wars Resistance" wants us to take it seriously. But at that point you have to have a serious plot.

The evil overlords list reminds us that if a small child can find a flaw in a plot, that plot needs to be rethought. I think it is time for script writers to take that attitude.

---

Do we need to move the discussion about critics to another thread? I'll be happy to make a thread for you if you want one.

EDIT: my problem with resistance has nothing to do with the low quality of the animation. By some standards, Samurai Jack had low-quality animation. No, my issue is strictly with the plot quality and believability, or lack thereof.
    I agree I'm seeing in Resistance the same problem I had with Rebels. Tonal inconsistency and lack of a proper audience direction.

I'd be ok if it we're just a show for kids and silly with a lack of real threat. But they seem to also want to include larger threats.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: That new star wars ... resistence. It was Resistence.

Does the XD in Disney XD stand for something or is it just a smiley face?

I think this show has a lot more resting on it that it intended to have. It wanted to just be a random kids show, but it's being given the weight of a kind of referendum on the ST era.

15. - Top - End - #45

XD used to be short for Extra Disney, because it was a rarity for a channel to have a secondary channel. Now, it seems like everyone has a spin off channel or three.

16. - Top - End - #46

BlackDragon

XD used to be a family/adult Disney channel.

You know, instead of children's stuff on plain disney, it was family stuff in the day time, and adult stuff at night.

Zorro was enjoyable.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground

Resistance wouldn't have much of a problem if it didn't both try to be a for an audience who skews about five years younger than Star Wars's already young audience, while also trying to play the game of impressing adult canon nerds and integrating everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    And that's a lie, because I've seen parts of two episodes on the main Disney channel.
    Really? PM me please what state your in, and north or south of that state. Vague enough that I'd never be able to actually track you down, but I can work form that to see if my current theory is correct.

My theory is that in the US, it's being done differently for some, likely idiotic and corporate and/or regulatory, reason. So, say, Florida might not be exactly the same as, say New York for instance.

Also, who's your provider? Maybe, say, Comcast and AT&T are running that ball differently?

I am not lying though. The part of the US, on the provider the house hold has, is advertising that it's exclusive to Disney XD.

keybounce:

Hold that thought. Don't know yet.

But I disagree that Teen Titans go is unfairly maligned.

Firstly those other silly cartoons didn't try to bait in the audience of more serious shows. I didn't turn on Loony Toons expecting to see Superman be a moron for 7 minutes.

Add that those shows also had MUCH more wit, generally better comedic timing and sense of how to exaggerate for comedic effect, and tended to be a LOT more charming and endearing than either resistance or Teen Titans Go have ever even imagined being.

If they wanted to do a silly skit show, don't use the cast form a more serious show (You can tell me there not when they stop calling themselves Robin, Raven, Cyborg, Beast Boy and Star Fire.), with the same look just crappier, and the same Voice Actors in those roles. If they'd done that, and then laid off the constant "Take THAT" straw manning of all valid critiques, People would be a whole hell of a lot less bothered by it as a whole.

Further move on by having this show and Leaving the much better show it got prematurely canceled alone to keep running.

But they didn't. They made the choice. This is the consequence.

Resistance, could perhaps have gotten away with being silly. But it needs to be kept shorter. 1 or 2 minute skits. I'd be a lot more forgiving of that, so I suspect would most other people. But they didn't.

Olinser:

Fourth. I saw the trailer whenever it wound up getting on Youtube and flying like a led balloon, didn't like it, disliked the trailer, and left a comment expressing that I did not like the animation quality's obvious down grade, and saw nothing in the way of action, humor or plot that perked by interest.

Then I saw this thread whenever I first posted in it.

That's about it. I was almost certainly never going to watch it, I've seen nothing here thus far that would even begin to change my mind.

That said, do we know if they removed the obvious fake accounts deliberately there to artificially boost it, or are there merely starting to be enough bad ratings to drag it back down? (Aside, and given that I expect a rather fair number of people did left 1 or 0.5 or 0 Star ratings, and those are NOT counted in while the five stars are, the five stars REALLY need to be purged.).

Sapphire Guard :

It's almost like Disney hasn't made a good decision with this property or any of the people working on it since Episode 8 was the next thing they were working on, perhaps even since before then. Like there were multiple chances to keep it from coming to this but they have arrogantly refused every, single, one, of, them, and spat in the faces of them an all who even acknowledged they existed on purpose
    "I Burn!"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Metahuman1, you may want to consider whether your own biases are causing you to assume that all good reviews for this movie are bots, while the brigaded bad reviews for The Last Jedi are the real ones.

I mean, I also don't have a horse in this race, but you literally posted that a fired comics author is probably brigading bots in order to unfairly boost a show's audience ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. That is Flat Earth-level conspiracy flouting.

20. - Top - End - #50

I've never made it a secret I live in the Dakotas, MH1. Fortunately, we don't have to deal with Comcast or AT&T, as they take one look at our regulatory environment (screw the big boys for as much as they're worth) and go away.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Metahuman1, you may want to consider whether your own biases are causing you to assume that all good reviews for this movie are bots, while the brigaded bad reviews for The Last Jedi are the real ones.

I mean, I also don't have a horse in this race, but you literally posted that a fired comics author is probably brigading bots in order to unfairly boost a show's audience ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. That is Flat Earth-level conspiracy flouting.
    So, 105 accounts spring into existence practically overnight with the bare minimum required to have an account on that site, give 5 star ratings to this one show at a time when Lucasfilm is so utterly desperate to get good press for Star Wars after renewing Kathleen Kennedy, that there acting as though the claim that every single person on Giantitp, and a variety of other websites, who have done anything other than praise The Last Jedi, is in fact not a human, but a Russian bot, and then those same 105 accounts stop doing anything else at all.

And that doesn't seem like it's maybe, just possibly, a touch suspicious?

Maybe he didn't. I said it's possible it's just one of these loyalists who keep defending the sequel trilogy. And as for Disney's and Lucasfilms staff, these are people, who while employed by Disney, are frequently going on slanderous rants were they drop massive amounts of profanity, at there customers. You cannot tell me that not 1 of that large group wouldn't be willing to find some time to pull this as a little stunt and decide it constitutes payback.

Also, for the record. I said exactly 105 out of 109 5 Star Reviews were Bots. Not All of them. And none of the 4 or 3 star reviews. I expect there's not many of those cause it's a crap show, but aside form that specific 105 5 star reviews, I have no cause to think there not legitimate.

Rogar Demonblud :

Well, I'm in Florida and we have both as a duopoly in my neck of the woods, so yeah, either of those 2 factors could be affecting what I'm seeing.

That said, no. It was not a lie. Now that we've cleared that up.
    "I Burn!"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

So, 105 accounts spring into existence practically overnight with the bare minimum required to have an account on that site, give 5 star ratings to this one show at a time when Lucasfilm is so utterly desperate to get good press for Star Wars after renewing Kathleen Kennedy, that there acting as though the claim that every single person on Giantitp, and a variety of other websites, who have done anything other than praise The Last Jedi, is in fact not a human, but a Russian bot, and then those same 105 accounts stop doing anything else at all.

And that doesn't seem like it's maybe, just possibly, a touch suspicious?

Maybe he didn't. I said it's possible it's just one of these loyalists who keep defending the sequel trilogy. And as for Disney's and Lucasfilms staff, these are people, who while employed by Disney, are frequently going on slanderous rants were they drop massive amounts of profanity, at there customers. You cannot tell me that not 1 of that large group wouldn't be willing to find some time to pull this as a little stunt and decide it constitutes payback.

Also, for the record. I said exactly 105 out of 109 5 Star Reviews were Bots. Not All of them. And none of the 4 or 3 star reviews. I expect there's not many of those cause it's a crap show, but aside form that specific 105 5 star reviews, I have no cause to think there not legitimate.

Hmm... It's almost as if audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes are unreliable...

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm... It's almost as if audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes are unreliable...
    It's almost as if this kind of unacceptable interference can be caught on the audience scores, but to catch it on the critic scores, you have to spend full price to go see it and defeat the whole point, or trust the audience scores more.
    "I Burn!"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's almost as if this kind of unacceptable interference can be caught on the audience scores, but to catch it on the critic scores, you have to spend full price to go see it and defeat the whole point, or trust the audience scores more.
    That's why you find a critic who's opinions typically align with your own instead of just blindly trusting every critic you hear. Yeah, it takes a little more effort to do so than it does to just look at an audience score, but once you do you will get significantly better results.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

I did that once. Had a nice little community of them. They had a REALLY big scandal not that long ago. I see no reason to start shuffling through tens or hundreds of thousands of people whom, when cited, will be dismissed out of hand anyway by anyone who doesn't like even objectively valid points they raise and wish to ignore them (the majority of the people whom will offer more than token defense of The Last Jedi for a start.), when I can just be mindful of audience scores and what the Brigading situation looks like with them for a movie and put one and one together based on that.
    "I Burn!"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I did that once. Had a nice little community of them. They had a REALLY big scandal not that long ago. I see no reason to start shuffling through tens or hundreds of thousands of people whom, when cited, will be dismissed out of hand anyway by anyone who doesn't like even objectively valid points they raise and wish to ignore them (the majority of the people whom will offer more than token defense of The Last Jedi for a start.), when I can just be mindful of audience scores and what the Brigading situation looks like with them for a movie and put one and one together based on that.
    So you would prefer to trust the judgment of hordes of random, anonymous people who may or may not even all exist than finding a couple of people who's tastes are similar to your own?

I wont tell you that you aren't allowed to do that, but that seems like it would lead to nothing but frustration. The point of a critic isn't to decide whether a movie is good, but whether or not you personally would enjoy it. Being "good" is such a malleable metric that its almost meaningless, while being enjoyable is, at least at a personal level, much easier to judge.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    So you would prefer to trust the judgment of hordes of random, anonymous people who may or may not even all exist than finding a couple of people who's tastes are similar to your own?

I wont tell you that you aren't allowed to do that, but that seems like it would lead to nothing but frustration. The point of a critic isn't to decide whether a movie is good, but whether or not you personally would enjoy it. Being "good" is such a malleable metric that its almost meaningless, while being enjoyable is, at least at a personal level, much easier to judge.
    It's rather easy. If they agree with you then they're real and human and 100 percent trustworthy. If they disagree with you then they're paid off or bots.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post

This is the part I don't get. Part of why you trust a critic is not just to tell you why they liked/disliked it, but why. There are movies for everyone that are considered good they dislike, and vice-versa. But you only know why if you dig into the movie, which is a critic's whole job. Boiling down the good/bad of a movie to a single score, no matter how good it is, doesn't do that.

I see no reason to start shuffling through tens or hundreds of thousands of people whom, when cited, will be dismissed out of hand anyway by anyone who doesn't like even objectively valid points they raise and wish to ignore them
    I don't understand; the movie is for you. What do you care if I or anyone else dismisses the critic that told you it would be good? Either you enjoyed it or you didn't, the integrity of the critic has no bearing on that. I'm baffled by this argument. Unless you're talking about something else entirely?
    Last edited by Z3ro; 2018-10-17 at 10:38 AM.
    I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings - Max Payne

29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The third episode is available to stream on Sling - I don't know if it is available elsewhere or not. Basic plot is that Kaz doesn't want to work, and he finds a group of racers who invite him to come play. Of course there is more to it than that, but that's the setup.
    I enjoyed the episode (even though the junk dealers weren't in it), and it is starting to become clear where the show is going. It looks like it is going to be about Kaz slowly learning how to get along without his wealthy family, while the Resistance/First Order stuff stays in the background a lot at first. As this is a show for kids, that makes sense to me. I liked the other flight crew, and I really liked the interactions with Kaz and Yeager. If this continues along the path it is on, I think it will settle down into a decent show. Heck, if Kaz grows up enough, I might even start to like him.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Z3ro View Post
    I don't understand; the movie is for you. What do you care if I or anyone else dismisses the critic that told you it would be good? Either you enjoyed it or you didn't, the integrity of the critic has no bearing on that. I'm baffled by this argument. Unless you're talking about something else entirely?
    I think the part that you're missing is the terror that, if other people like a thing that you don't like, they will continue making the thing that you don't like instead of throwing it all in the trash and returning to only making the thing that you do like.

And if people are tricked by the nefarious forces of Big [Insert Conspiracy Theory Here], then they will continue to make the thing that you don't like even though everyone real only likes the things that you like and dislikes the things that you don't like. If you don't take a stand against [Insert Conspiracy Theory Here] right now, people will come to believe that They are right, and all of your beloved properties will forever be tainted by [Insert Social Issue Here].

Rather than just shrugging and saying, "Nah, that one wasn't for me" and moving on, people get extremely, wildly over-invested in specific properties, and then campaign and rage against any aspect of the property that doesn't align with their personal vision of what the property should be. You can't have any aspect of the property not be tailor-made for you! That opens the doors to all of the property not being tailor-made for you. And you have to believe that the silent hordes are on your side, because if they aren't then you aren't likely to win, and winning is what matters.