New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Bonus Action Cantrip+Leveled Spell

My group insists that our Grave Cleric can cast Cure Wounds as an action, then cast Spare the Dying as a bonus action. They say that the Bonus Action spell rule only prevents casting leveled spells AFTER you cast the Bonus Action spell (which would let Sorcerers cast two leveled spells per turn, by the way).

Can someone here post a better argument than I can about why that is an incorrect ruling so that I can show them it?
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2018-10-14 at 05:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Bonus Action Cantrip+Leveled Spell

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    cast Cure Wounds as an action, then cast Spare the Dying as an action
    Not sure if you made a typo, but you can't use 2 actions in 1 turn, regardless of them being spells or not. If you meant cast StD as bonus action, as Grave Clerics can do, then it won't work because the cantrip has to be the duration of an action:

Quote Originally Posted by PHB page 202
    you can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action
    As for the 'before or after bonus action' bit, the above quote shows it doesn't matter if it's before or after the bonus action - in both cases it's "during the same turn".
    Last edited by Maelynn; 2018-10-14 at 05:36 PM.
    Just remember... if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

If you have some way of getting another action on your turn (such as action surge) you can indeed cast two levelled spells during your turn, provided none are bonus actions. The 'cantrip only' thing kicks in once a bonus action comes into play.

IIRC, not in front of book.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2018-10-14 at 05:35 PM.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Yeah, I meant to say Bonus Action.
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    "No" means "yes".
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

5. - Top - End - #5

Imp

Yeah, I meant to say Bonus Action.
    Then my answer stands. You can only cast a cantrip with a duration of 1 action in combination with a bonus action spell. So instead of Cure Wounds he could've cast a cantrip like Light or Guidance.
    Last edited by Maelynn; 2018-10-14 at 05:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

That being said, this doesn't seem very game-breaking to me.

It's good to know the real rules, but I'd hardly throw a fit over this, so long as it's acknowledged as a houserule.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Bonus Action
    A spell cast with a Bonus Action is especially swift. You must use a Bonus Action on Your Turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a Bonus Action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a Casting Time of 1 action.

There is no before or after qualifier.
    If you cast a spell (even a lowly cantrip) as a bonus action, you can only cast a cantrip for an action.
    If you cast a 1-level or higher spell as an action, you cannot cast any spell as a bonus action.

JNA's point is reasonable, though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

The timing of a bonus action only matters if it says it matters.

There is no mention of timing on the limitation of only casting a cantrip if you cast a bonus action spell.

Tell your friend that they can tweet Jeremy Crawford if they want. Heck, make a bet with them on the answer. You are guaranteed to win the bet.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Order doesn't matter, but the bonus action spell has to be a level spell. If the bonus spell is a Cantrip, the action spell cannot be a level spell. I know. It's confusing.

Bonus Action Level Spell then Action Cantrip = Legal
    Action Cantrip then Bonus Action Level spell = Legal
    Bonus Action Cantrip then Action Cantrip = Legal
    Action Cantrip then Bonus Action Cantrip = Legal
    Bonus Action Cantrip then Action Level Spell = Not Legal
    Action Level Spell then Bonus Action Cantrip = Not Legal

I think it a dumb restriction, but there it is. So yes, unfortunately, a Grave Cleric cannot cast a Bonus Action Spare The Dying and Action Cure Wounds in the same round. The order is irrelevant. It's because the Action spell is a level spell that causes the problem. You are never allowed to cast a Level spell as an action when you also cast a Bonus spell. The Action spell must be a Cantrip, but the Bonus Action spell can be a Cantrip or a Level spell. The order you do that doesn't matter.

I'm fine with you cannot do a Bonus Action Level spell and Action Level spell. What is dumb for me is that the Action spell must be a Cantrip.
    Last edited by Pex; 2018-10-14 at 09:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGirl

"If you want to cast a spell that has a casting time of 1 bonus action, remember that you can’t cast any other spells before or after it on the same turn, except for cantrips with a casting time of 1 action." -XGtE

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

If you're not DMing AL then a fair and much simpler ruling is: 'Only one non-cantrip spell on your turn'. Which is pretty much what the rules are getting at, in a very roundabout and incomplete fashion.
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    If you're not DMing AL then a fair and much simpler ruling is: 'Only one non-cantrip spell on your turn'. Which is pretty much what the rules are getting at, in a very roundabout and incomplete fashion.
    This. As others have said, they way they wrote the rules here seems quite silly.

I'm trying out a houserule where you can only cast multiple spells in one turn as long as their combined levels add up to half your caster level, rounded up. So for example, if you are 5th level, you can cast both a 1st and 2nd level spell in one turn, but if you cast a 3rd level spell you aren't able to cast any other leveled spells that turn. I imagine that there are some low level spells that can be exploited here to break the game (probably Healing Word), but I haven't encountered such a situation yet.

But it sounds like you're the DM here, and you want to enforce the rules as written. So yeah, it's action cantrip, bonus action leveled spell, in any order. As long as it isn't AL, you don't have to stick with this rule, though. I'd encourage you to consider if it would be more fun for your players to go with the simplified version (one leveled spell per turn), but I can also see the logic in not letting the cleric auto-stabilize anyone who goes down and still cast a leveled spell.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Lunali View Post
    "If you want to cast a spell that has a casting time of 1 bonus action, remember that you can’t cast any other spells before or after it on the same turn, except for cantrips with a casting time of 1 action." -XGtE
    Ooh, can I get a page number for that?
    "No" means "yes".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Breakdown:

A) You can Never cast more than 1 leveled spell per turn.
    B) If you cast two spells in the same turn, the seccond one needs to be a cantrip, and be done with an Action.
    C) In case you cast two spells in your turn, and one is a leveled spell, it needs to be done with your Bonus Action (even if you have the ability to go for a regular action).

An interesting example of C, as silly as it sounds, is you technically cannot, by RAW, Misty Step and Shillelagh during the same turn. A DM could allow you to cast Shillelagh as an Action to make it work, but it would not be RAW.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    Breakdown:

A) You can Never cast more than 1 leveled spell per turn
    Action surge!
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

16. - Top - End - #16

Action surge!
    „You can never cast more than one leveled spell per turn unless a feature, spell, item or a lenient GM grant you a second action to do so“?
    "Can i touch myself before talking to that guy?"
    "..."
    "I mean can i cast a touch spell on myself..."
    "It's both possible, but one would probably lead to a bad outcome."

17. - Top - End - #17

C) In case you cast two spells in your turn, and one is a leveled spell, it needs to be done with your Bonus Action (even if you have the ability to go for a regular action).

An interesting example of C, as silly as it sounds, is you technically cannot, by RAW, Misty Step and Shillelagh during the same turn. A DM could allow you to cast Shillelagh as an Action to make it work, but it would not be RAW.
    In most of the games i played in this never happened, and in the game i‘m currently in the GM allows it, but now that i think about it this particular rule makes the sorcerer‘s quickened metamagic even more powerful/versatile than it already was.
    You still can’t cast misty step and an action cantrip in the same turn though.
    "Can i touch myself before talking to that guy?"
    "..."
    "I mean can i cast a touch spell on myself..."
    "It's both possible, but one would probably lead to a bad outcome."

18. - Top - End - #18

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Order doesn't matter, but the bonus action spell has to be a level spell. If the bonus spell is a Cantrip, the action spell cannot be a level spell. I know. It's confusing.
    Any bonus action spell -> only cantrips with action casting time. There's no difference in the bonus action being a leveled spell or not. I don't know why you make a distinction here, since you then make the (almost, no one ever consider reactions :D) correct description of how it works later...

You are never allowed to cast a Level spell as an action when you also cast a Bonus spell. The Action spell must be a Cantrip, but the Bonus Action spell can be a Cantrip or a Level spell. The order you do that doesn't matter.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Quoxis View Post
    „You can never cast more than one leveled spell per turn unless a feature, spell, item or a lenient GM grant you a second action to do so“?
    More like there was never a rule preventing it in the first place. There is no general rule on what happens when you cast spells that are of first level or higher. There is a restriction on when you can cast cast spells with a bonus action and what else you can do during that round.
    Edit: the fact is that you generally only have one action, and that is the limiting factor.
    Last edited by ThePolarBear; 2018-10-15 at 05:19 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Action surge!
    Technically, by RAW, you can only cast a single spell and a Cantrip, possibly a Bonus Action Leveled Spell, an Action Cantrip and one more Action Cantrip as the limit of Action Surge. It's not supposed to give you an extra Bonus Action.

Most DMs will let it slide though.

As a Side Note, this technicalities are why I find RAF more fun to follow than RAW.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Technically, by RAW, you can only cast a single spell and a Cantrip, possibly a Bonus Action Leveled Spell, an Action Cantrip and one more Action Cantrip as the limit of Action Surge. It's not supposed to give you an extra Bonus Action.

Not true, because there is no restriction on the number of levelled "Action" spells you can cast during a turn.
    The only restriction stems from casting a spell as a bonus action.

So with an action surge you could cast:

Action 1: Levelled Spell
    Action 2: Levelled Spell
    Bonus Action. Not a Spell

Or

Action 1: Cantrip
    Action 2: Cantrip
    Bonus Action: Levelled Spell

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Can someone here post a better argument than I can about why that is an incorrect ruling so that I can show them it?
    The wording of this request bugs me.

If you can't articulate your position well enough to defend it, why are you so certain it's correct? Either make the ruling and stand by it "because rulings are the DM's job, and that's my ruling", or let them have their bonus action cantrip, action spell. If they don't trust you enough to respect the rulings you make based on your own merit, why would adding five random opinions from the internet make the situation at your table better?
    Last edited by Armored Walrus; 2018-10-15 at 10:50 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePolarBear View Post
    Any bonus action spell -> only cantrips with action casting time. There's no difference in the bonus action being a leveled spell or not. I don't know why you make a distinction here, since you then make the (almost, no one ever consider reactions :D) correct description of how it works later...
    Because I was referencing the specific point of someone wanting to cast a level spell and a cantrip in the same round. To do that only the bonus spell can be the level spell. Then I discussed the full rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

23. - Top - End - #23

WolfInSheepsClothing

Because I was referencing the specific point of someone wanting to cast a level spell and a cantrip in the same round. To do that only the bonus spell can be the level spell. Then I discussed the full rule.
    I guess it's the "a" instead of "the" in reference to "leveled spell" that throws me off. I mean, given that you do not treat the "leveled spell and leveled spell" case, without the rest of the post it seems like you might accept the "lvl spell + lvl spell" case as possible.
    Thanks for the explanation.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Armored Walrus View Post
    The wording of this request bugs me.

If you can't articulate your position well enough to defend it, why are you so certain it's correct?
    Shoot, I wasn't the OP, and you schooled me. Well said.

25. - Top - End - #25

Not exactly. The PHB rules also prevent you from combining metamagics in certain ways, using e.g. Careful Hypnotic Pattern on the same turn you Quicken Fire Bolt.

So the rule you suggest would make sorcs stronger than the current PHB rule. Not that that's a problem or anything, but it is a material change to the status quo.

26. - Top - End - #26

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Lunali View Post
    Ooh, can I get a page number for that?
    Page 5, under Bonus Action Spells. :)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Bonus Action Level Spell then Action Cantrip = Legal
    Action Cantrip then Bonus Action Level spell = Legal
    Bonus Action Cantrip then Action Cantrip = Legal
    Action Cantrip then Bonus Action Cantrip = Legal
    Bonus Action Cantrip then Action Level Spell = Not Legal
    Action Level Spell then Bonus Action Cantrip = Not Legal

I think it a dumb restriction, but there it is. So yes, unfortunately, a Grave Cleric cannot cast a Bonus Action Spare The Dying and Action Cure Wounds in the same round. The order is irrelevant. It's because the Action spell is a level spell that causes the problem. You are never allowed to cast a Level spell as an action when you also cast a Bonus spell. The Action spell must be a Cantrip, but the Bonus Action spell can be a Cantrip or a Level spell. The order you do that doesn't matter.

I'm fine with you cannot do a Bonus Action Level spell and Action Level spell. What is dumb for me is that the Action spell must be a Cantrip.

Yeah the game I'm in atm just house ruled it so that on your turn if you cast a spell you can only cast a cantrip (we made the distinction that cantrips are cantrips and spells with a spell level are spells) with your action and bonus action, if you get a full second action on your turn you can use that as normal for spell casting.

So cast magic missile you can still cast shillelagh. grave cleric and cast spare the dying can then cast cure wounds.

We also let you cast bonus action spells/cantrips with your normal action.
    Last edited by Reth; 2018-10-15 at 04:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

It is easy to forget that this effects reaction spells as well. If I cast healing word I cannot cast shield on my turn (for instance I move away from an enemy and get hit by an opportunity attack).

My houserule for this (because I feel like the rule is even more limiting than what they really want and I do nto like how shillelagh+ cure wounds is illegal but healing word and produce flame is legal and yet both are a cantrip +1st level spell) is that "in any turn where you cast more than one spell and one is a bonus action spell at least one of the spells cast that turn must be a cantrip". I believe this fixes everything and still fulfills what I think the intent behind the rule was without having unusual interactions.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reth View Post
    (we made the distinction that cantrips are cantrips and spells with a spell level are spells)
    While this is a convenient shorthand, it should be noted that cantrips are still spells. This matters in many cases where some sort of ability or feature affects your spells, which includes cantrips. This is why some features specifically call out casting a spell "of 1st level or higher" or "using a spell slot", neither of which would include cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    It is easy to forget that this effects reaction spells as well. If I cast healing word I cannot cast shield on my turn (for instance I move away from an enemy and get hit by an opportunity attack).
    Not so, reaction spells are generally cast not on your own turn, so you can (almost) always cast a leveled spell as a reaction. You're getting turns and rounds mixed up.
    EDIT: Whoops, didn't fully read what you wrote, you are actually correct here. This is one of the rare cases of casting a spell as a reaction on your own turn.
    Last edited by Greywander; 2018-10-15 at 04:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    While this is a convenient shorthand, it should be noted that cantrips are still spells. This matters in many cases where some sort of ability or feature affects your spells, which includes cantrips. This is why some features specifically call out casting a spell "of 1st level or higher" or "using a spell slot", neither of which would include cantrips.

Not so, reaction spells are generally cast not on your own turn, so you can (almost) always cast a leveled spell as a reaction. You're getting turns and rounds mixed up.

We just use normal simple logic and apply such effects as they should be. Like the dragon magic sorcerer getting +cha to damaging things they cast. It's really just for the short hand for"did you cast a spell already this round? OK you can only cast a cantrip now".

Thought I'd throw this in there as well, we just let people use reaction spells whenever since it still uses up their reaction for the rest of the round.