New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread VI: Return of the Red Die

Q:15

I'm about to take Improved Eldritch Heritage to get the "Serpentfreind" bloodline power of the Serpentine Bloodline

One small thing i noticed however.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine Bloodline
    Serpentfriend (Ex): At 3rd level, you can use speak with animals at will with reptilian animals (including various forms of dinosaurs, lizards, and other cold-blooded creatures), and you gain a viper familiar using your sorcerer level –2 as your effective wizard level.
    So the viper acts as "Sorcerer lvl" -2 = "Wizard lvl for familiar"

And then

Quote Originally Posted by Improved Eldritch Heritage
    For purposes of using that power, treat your sorcerer level as equal to your character level – 2, even if you have levels in sorcerer. You do not gain any of the other bloodline abilities.
    So since i got this bloodline through the Eldritch Heritage feat line, "My current level (11)" -2 = "Sorcerer level"

Does this mean that as an 11th level adventurer, my familiar would have an effective wizard level of 11 - 4, so i have the Familiar of a 7th level wizard? Am i understanding that right?

@V Thank you!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2018-11-11 at 03:50 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Q:15 <snip>
    Does this mean that as an 11th level adventurer, my familiar would have an effective wizard level of 11 - 4, so i have the Familiar of a 7th level wizard? Am i understanding that right?
    A15
    Yes, you are understanding correctly. The normal power uses your effective wizard level, which is your sorcerer level -2. Your effective sorcerer level, because of Eldritch Heritage, is your character level -2. Therefore, accessed through the feat, your effective wizard level is (your character level -2) -2 = your character level -4.

3. - Top - End - #33

Two questions about the archetype Planar Extremist.

Planar Aspect (Su): At 4th level, as a standard action, a planar extremist can gain the benefits of the bloodrager bloodline associated with her alignment (choosing from Abyssal, Celestial, or Infernal), as if she were a bloodrager of her druid level. She can gain these benefits for 1 minute per druid level as if she were bloodraging (but she gains no other benefits or penalties of bloodrage) or until she dismisses it as a swift action; this duration need not be used consecutively but must be spent in 1-minute increments. She can use this ability an additional time per day at 6th level and every 4 levels thereafter, for a total of five times per day at 18th level. At 20th level, a planar extremist can use planar aspect at will.
    Q16A: So what is the total duration of bloodrage per day? 1 minute per druid level, or (1 minute per druid level) times (a total of five times)?

Q16B: As we know, a bloodline gives the following things: feats, spells and powers. What exactly does the Planar Extremist get, during his bloodrage-without-other-bloodrage-benefits?

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by ahyangyi View Post
    Two questions about the archetype Planar Extremist.

Q16A: So what is the total duration of bloodrage per day? 1 minute per druid level, or (1 minute per druid level) times (a total of five times)?

Q16B: As we know, a bloodline gives the following things: feats, spells and powers. What exactly does the Planar Extremist get, during his bloodrage-without-other-bloodrage-benefits?
    A16
    A: Looks like it should be the latter. It makes no sense to say that you can spend it non-consecutively if you can only do it once per day. It's awkwardly worded, but that seems to be the RAW.

B: "As if she were a bloodrager of her druid level." Pretty clear to me--you get every feature of the associated bloodline, up to your druid level, while the bloodrage is active. You just don't actually get the direct benefits/penalties of bloodrage itself (other than qualifying as being *in* bloodrage, I guess?)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A14: no, because you are not rolling to hit. The initial grapple needs to hit so concealment is an issue, but once the grapple is established there isn't a to hit roll but a maintain roll. Maintain is not sight based. If you fail to maintain or the target breaks the grapple, concealment again becomes an issue because you need to hit once again.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Spamalot in the Playground

Note that Greater Eldritch Heritage negates the penalty. (The sorcerer penalty anyway - the "-2 wizard level" from the bloodline will stay.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #37

Q17

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but it doesn't hurt to check. If I have two weapons, one in each hand, but only attack with one weapon, do I take the two-weapon fighting penalty?

8. - Top - End - #38

A17: You do not have to take the penalty as long as you're not trying to use the bonus TWF attack(s). You can even attack with both weapons if you want, so long as you're sticking to normal iteratives.

There's a FAQ response that goes into much more detail on this phenomenon found here.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2018-11-14 at 04:15 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Q18

Incorporeal creatures have no Strength score, and use their Dexterity score for attacks. Does this mean they add their Dexterity to damage?

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by SaveOrDye View Post
    Q18

Incorporeal creatures have no Strength score, and use their Dexterity score for attacks. Does this mean they add their Dexterity to damage?
    provisional A18
    Based on the wording, I say no.
    An incorporeal creature ... has no Strength score, so its Dexterity modifier applies to its melee attacks, ranged attacks, and CMB.
    If attack rolls were specified, we could definitely say no. It's not explicitly specified, so RAW is almost certainly no, but it may be RAI that Dex does apply (and it's just barely ambiguous enough to be readable that way even when the literal meaning doesn't say so).

11. - Top - End - #41

A18: In the vast majority of cases no, because these creatures are using a magical (Su) ability of some kind to be able to attack corporeal targets. Being special abilities rather than standard weapons, they have defined damage entries, and do not inherit the regular damage bonuses (or penalties) that weapon attacks do, though other damage bonuses like sneak attack may still apply.

You may need a specific example here so we can determine what the total attack damage should be.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #42

Q19

For the purpose of wild shape, I'm a bit unclear as to what counts as "items that provide constant bonuses and do not need to be activated." To give some examples, which of the following still works?
    - Belt or headband of stats
    - hat of disguise
    - dusty rose prism ioun stone
    - ring of protection
    - ring of natural attunement (kami)
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2018-11-16 at 03:09 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

A19 Responses inline:

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    Q19

For the purpose of wild shape, I'm a bit unclear as to what counts as "items that provide constant bonuses and do not need to be activated." To give some examples, which of the following still works?
    - Belt or headband of stats Yes
    - hat of disguise No
    - dusty rose prism ioun stone Yes But
    - ring of protection Yes
    - ring of natural attunement (kami) Yes But
    For the two "Yes But" items:

1) ioun stones don't take up a body slot, so the merging rule doesn't apply. (i.e. they'd still be orbiting around your head as a bear or squid etc.)

2) the ring of natural attunement has a passive and an active effect, you'd keep the former but lose access to the latter.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Q20: for the purposes of determining at threatening Square is blinded the same as not being able to see from the smoke screen of pyrotechnics?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Q21: Clamor of the Heavens mentions a will save that can lessen some of the effects. But what kind of will save does it mean? A Will save of a 5th level spell since the Masterpice requires a 5th level spell to be sacrificed normally? Would the save DC be subject to any modifiers such as Spell Focus or traits or the like? (Probably not applicable to me since all my save DC bonuses are for mind-affecting spells, but still good to know.))
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    Q20: for the purposes of determining at threatening Square is blinded the same as not being able to see from the smoke screen of pyrotechnics?
    A20: No. When someone is blinded, they take a -2 penalty to AC, lose their Dexterity bonus (triggering sneak attack), AND take a -4 penalty on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks, and all opponents are considered to have total concealment. When under the smoke cloud of Pyrotechnics, those within the 40-foot effect ONLY take the -4 to Strength- and Dexterity-based checks, and even those are negated if you save. If they were blinded, there would be no reason to say that. Think of it more as you're coughing and wheezing and your eyes are tearing up from the smoke - that fits the Fortitude-based save too.

17. - Top - End - #47

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Q21: But what kind of will save does it mean? A Will save of a 5th level spell since the Masterpice requires a 5th level spell to be sacrificed normally? Would the save DC be subject to any modifiers such as Spell Focus or traits or the like? (Probably not applicable to me since all my save DC bonuses are for mind-affecting spells, but still good to know.))
    A21: Unwilling creatures may attempt a Will save against the effect of a masterpiece; the save DC for masterpieces is equal to 10 + 1/2 the bard’s level + the bard’s Charisma bonus. Masterpieces that duplicate spells use the bard’s caster level for the spell’s caster level. Since this doesn't duplicate a spell (or, at least, it doesn't SAY it does, which is what matters here), I doubt any such things would affect it.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrukio View Post
    A20: No. When someone is blinded, they take a -2 penalty to AC, lose their Dexterity bonus (triggering sneak attack), AND take a -4 penalty on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks, and all opponents are considered to have total concealment. When under the smoke cloud of Pyrotechnics, those within the 40-foot effect ONLY take the -4 to Strength- and Dexterity-based checks, and even those are negated if you save. If they were blinded, there would be no reason to say that. Think of it more as you're coughing and wheezing and your eyes are tearing up from the smoke - that fits the Fortitude-based save too.
    RE: A.20 I think where I was getting lost is not blindness, that was probably not the best rule to ask about. I think this -smoke- is giving total concealment. (Since Darkvision doesn't even work). And according to total concealment rules:

Spoiler: Concealment
    Show
    Total Concealment
    If you have line of effect to a target but not line of sight, he is considered to have total concealment from you. You can’t attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think he occupies. A successful attack into a square occupied by an enemy with total concealment has a 50% miss chance (instead of the normal 20% miss chance for an opponent with concealment).

You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with total concealment, even if you know what square or squares the opponent occupies.

So would that be applicable?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

19. - Top - End - #49

A20 clarification: I'm not sure I understand your original question - are you asking what effect Pyrotechnics (either the "flashing lights" or the "smoke cloud" versions) would have on a creature's ability to threaten squares?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #50

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    RE: A.20 I think where I was getting lost is not blindness, that was probably not the best rule to ask about. I think this -smoke- is giving total concealment. (Since Darkvision doesn't even work).

<snip>

So would that be applicable?
    I could see it both ways, but, in the end, I'd still say 'no.' You could say that it was something like Obscuring Mist, which would favor your argument somewhat, but it doesn't actually say that Darkvision does not work - it says it is ineffective, which means "not producing any significant or desired effect." Also, the other ability of Pyrotechnics, fireworks, does include text regarding both blindness and line of effect. That it says it and the smoke version does not leads me to thinking it doesn't apply. To follow up on the example I gave previously, if one were coughing, wheezing, and tearing up, you could still see a vague outline of someone some distance away from you, certainly well-enough to target them with an attack. So much the worse that if they are in your threatened area, or you in theirs.

Long story short, the way the text is written makes me think that adding additional difficulties (concealment, line of sight) in this instance of the usage of the spell is contraindicated.
    Last edited by Petrukio; 2018-11-18 at 01:43 AM. Reason: removing sentence and spoiler section

21. - Top - End - #51

A20: Being blind means you can't threaten squares unless you have another precise means of perception (e.g. blindsight or touchsight.) As for the smoke version, though it doesn't spell out "total concealment" it does say "all sight is ineffective in the cloud" which is pretty much the same thing per the concealment rules, so that would stop threatening too.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #52
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A18 Clarification:
    Psyren is right in most cases, but there is at least one circumstance that will, in fact, trigger dex to damage. If a ghost, or other immaterial creature, picks up a weapon with the ghost touch ability they could use it in combat. In this case, they would use their dex instead of strength to calculate their "combat rolls." Damage could easily be interpreted as a combat roll.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Q22: Regarding Master Craftsman, is there any raw clarification on the phrase 'you must use this skill in the creation of the item." Does it mean that the base item must be crafted by the chosen skill? OR does it mean you must use the chosen skill in place of spellcraft when making an item magical? OR both?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by thelastorphan View Post
    Q22: Regarding Master Craftsman, is there any raw clarification on the phrase 'you must use this skill in the creation of the item." Does it mean that the base item must be crafted by the chosen skill? OR does it mean you must use the chosen skill in place of spellcraft when making an item magical? OR both?
    A22:

Looking at the feat, it looks like it allows you to take the feats "craft magic arms and armor" and "craft wonderous item." When you make the magic item desired, you must use the skill you chose to qualify for the magic creation feats. Nothing else is said, so you don't have to craft the item yourself. In fact, it can be a profession. So you could qualify for this with profession sailor. You're such a good sailor, you can craft magical plate armor. For some reason.

25. - Top - End - #55

A22 addendum: The idea is that you should take a profession or crafting skill that can be applied as broadly as possible to anything your character plans to make. Your GM gets the final say, but if you choose well then you shouldn't have any pushback from a reasonable one.

My personal favorite for this is "Profession: Soldier" (which is also explicitly on the Profession list) because that could reasonably apply to any weapon or armor and just about any combat-oriented wondrous item (offensive or defensive) as well. Engineer, Trapper, Tanner and Librarian are other solid choices to give you a range of items to craft. You're also free to come up with some that aren't on the list like Hunter or Drill Sergeant if your GM is okay with that.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q23

You start your turn and begin to act. someone has readied an action, hits you and makes you bleed.
    a) When do you take damage from the bleed the first time? right now, or at the start of your next turn?
    b) If you then start casting, do you need to do a concentration check for the damage taken or the bleed, this round, assuming the attack wasn't in reaction to this spell being cast?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q23

You start your turn and begin to act. someone has readied an action, hits you and makes you bleed.
    a) When do you take damage from the bleed the first time? right now, or at the start of your next turn?
    b) If you then start casting, do you need to do a concentration check for the damage taken or the bleed, this round, assuming the attack wasn't in reaction to this spell being cast?
    A23: You take bleed damage at the start of your turn. Since the start of of your turn has already happened for this turn, you start taking bleed on your next turn.

28. - Top - End - #58

Q24
    Quadruped animal companions cannot equip normal "belts," only saddles. Is there any precedent for giving them items that provide enhancement bonuses to physical stats?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    Q24
    Quadruped animal companions cannot equip normal "belts," only saddles. Is there any precedent for giving them items that provide enhancement bonuses to physical stats?
    A24:
    It knda gets into custom item rules, but there's no reason you can't have a "saddle of physical perfection" boosting all physicall stats assuming your gm allows it.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 25

The spell Sadomasochism states:

Quote Originally Posted by Sadomasochism
    While subject to this spell, any time you are dealt damage, your attacker must roll damage for the attack twice and take the higher roll [...]. Each time you deal damage [...] you roll damage twice and take the higher result.
    Am I correct to assume this means ANY damage? Weapon damage, Sneak Attack damage, Damage caused by Spells, Ability damage, etc?