New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5] Martial Initiator Prestige Classes

The way the prestige classes from Tome of Battle work/progress is a little peculiar to me. Each prestige class has certain levels at which they grant you a maneuver known, a maneuver readied, or a stance, whereas other systems (spellcasting, meldshaping, binding, invocations) just give you a "+1 as if you gained a level in a base class" kinda thing, which I think works much smoother. Is there a particular reason for initiating classes not doing this?
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Martial Initiator Prestige Classes

It makes them available to non-initiator classes and allows for finer tuning of the advancement progression.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Some classes (Master of Nine!) grant more stances or maneuvers known than you would get from advancing in base class.

4. - Top - End - #4

HalflingRogueGirl

The most important part is the interaction with the 1/2 IL advancement for non-initiator classes. If the IL boost gained you manuvers and stances no matter what, it would be insane not to always multiclass into an initiator for any martial class (even initiators). The free progression towards gaining higher level access on non-initiator classes means it can't function quite so cleanly as a fully divided progression like spellcasters have.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Many PrCs give a palette of disciplines which are not identical to any base class disciplines.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Legacy Champion and Uncanny Trickster can advance initiator classes!

Also, on a vaguely related topic: I've seen it argued that PrCs advance initiator level 1/1 unless stated otherwise, based on this:

Quote Originally Posted by ToB p.39
    Prestige classes work a little differently. In most cases, you add the full prestige class level to your martial adept level to determine your initiator level. See the prestige class descriptions in Chapter 5 for details.
    I stumbled across this in the Wizards archive recently: http://archive.wizards.com/default.a.../ask/20060927a

Q: How do you determine if a prestige class adds 1/2 per prestige level to your initiator level (from Tome of Battle), or if it counts your full prestige class levels for your initiator level?

A: A prestige class only adds 1/2 its levels to your initiator level unless it specifically states otherwise. Currently the bloodclaw master, deepstone sentinel, eternal blade, jade phoenix mage, master of nine, ruby knight vindicator and shadow sun ninja are the only prestige classes that add their full level to a character’s initiator level.
    ...now I know Ask Wizards isn't errata, but still found it interesting.

7. - Top - End - #7

RogueGuy

Legacy Champion and Uncanny Trickster can advance initiator classes!

Also, on a vaguely related topic: I've seen it argued that PrCs advance initiator level 1/1 unless stated otherwise, based on this:

Quote Originally Posted by ToB p.39
    Prestige classes work a little differently. In most cases, you add the full prestige class level to your martial adept level to determine your initiator level. See the prestige class descriptions in Chapter 5 for details.
    I stumbled across this in the Wizards archive recently: http://archive.wizards.com/default.a.../ask/20060927a

Q: How do you determine if a prestige class adds 1/2 per prestige level to your initiator level (from Tome of Battle), or if it counts your full prestige class levels for your initiator level?

A: A prestige class only adds 1/2 its levels to your initiator level unless it specifically states otherwise. Currently the bloodclaw master, deepstone sentinel, eternal blade, jade phoenix mage, master of nine, ruby knight vindicator and shadow sun ninja are the only prestige classes that add their full level to a character’s initiator level.
    ...now I know Ask Wizards isn't errata, but still found it interesting.
    So, 2 things about that:
    1) All those classes mentioned add Maneuvers and Stances, and
    2) The only PRC from Tome of Battle not on that list is Bloodstorm Blade, which happens to be the only one that doesn't add M's or S's!
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

biggrin Re: [3.5] Martial Initiator Prestige Classes

Quote Originally Posted by Rijan_Sai View Post
    So, 2 things about that:
    1) All those classes mentioned add Maneuvers and Stances, and
    2) The only PRC from Tome of Battle not on that list is Bloodstorm Blade, which happens to be the only one that doesn't add M's or S's!
    It's almost like WotC didn;t understand their own game!

Oh, and here's some unused ToB art, for the heckuvit:

9. - Top - End - #9

RogueGuy

It's almost like WotC didn;t understand their own game!

Though re-reading the Q&A, they may have been asking about non-ToB PrCs; in which case, the Wizard's answer makes a little more sense!

Oh, and here's some unused ToB art, for the heckuvit:

Nice! I choose to see that as an Ironwood Body Warforged Swordsage!
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rijan_Sai View Post

Though re-reading the Q&A, they may have been asking about non-ToB PrCs; in which case, the Wizard's answer makes a little more sense!
    Yeah, if they left off the part of their answer after the first sentence, it would make perfect sense.