Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Outside 47: [Insert seasonal phrase that will be outdated when this thread ends]

[Feia's Coordinate Site]

This is not particularly something Feia wishes to discuss with anyone. Though, feeding Kramolagh some measure of information would serve to keep him seeing things in a reciprocal manner.
    A little treat, for the dog to feel motivated to perform further tricks.

So taking a modest drink of her glass to think that all through, Feiadyne deigns to grace him with said informational biscuit.
    "There is divine essence attempting to evade me in the city. I have cast a particularly wide net in my hunt for it. As of now, I have located it and merely need to complete the acquisition."
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

2. - Top - End - #932
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 47: [Insert seasonal phrase that will be outdated when this thread ends]

[Hamleton Impact - Calm Reed]

There comes a sickening crack as Calm Reed's blow strikes true, shattering something solid inside the horror. It gives a high-pitch, keening whine suffused with ear-rattling static as it slumps to the floor, motionless. The whine continues as the whole monster begins to deflate like a sad balloon.

Well!

It looks like that worked out okay?

The rest of the chapel is clear for investigation, in particular the priest's quarters.

[Hamleton Impact - Spike]

The meteor itself doesn't appear to be made of any specific parts, at least none that are identifiable. Just masses of angular spirals and iridescent metal. What 'meat' was left scattered about town were merely person-shaped crystal growths. Not much meat left in them. Though the spiraling crystals certainly were smaller.

As Spike watches, another ghost slithers out of the meteor and begins creeping across the ground. It doesn't appear to be very interested in interlopers. Or maybe Spike is just the wrong kind of interloper?

[Darkness Falls]

Ugh.

Gravity.

Gravity is such a pain.

Myriam gives and "Eep!" as she suddenly finds herself tumbling away sideways! She manages to catch a door-jam, but it leaves her in a rather compromised, dangly position.

Derelith, meanwhile, stumbles briefly. But one beat of her wings later and it would appear she's reoriented herself without too much trouble. Being able to alter one's interaction with gravitational fields via otherworldly forces is, of course, a totally normal thing for totally normal lambs to do.

The void tentacles will lash about the robot, applying crushing force while at the same time sapping motive force, driving the machine's existence toward equilibrium. Swinging a weapon may prove difficult while being groped like that.

And speaking of groping, Derelith uses her teeth to try to wrench the robot's sword-arm off! That appears to be the main means by which it's a threat.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

[Hamleton Impact - Calm Reed]

That's certainly an undignified death for a monster this vicious, Calm Reed has to admit.The monk steps over its carcass and heads to the priest's quarters, watchful for danger.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Orc in the Playground

Darkness Falls

When the fall starts, Jack squawks in panic and flares her wings to slow her descent. She's not able to fly in the narrow confines of the corridor, but it does at least slow her fall enough she doesn't get hurt by the fall.

She doesn't fire her wand, since she's a bit too focused on not crashing into the walls.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Hamleton Impact]

The hound jumps at the new ghost, trying to grab hold of it.
    But that's probably not going to amount to much.

Spike starts walking away from the meteor. They should look for anyone else alive in the place. Head door-to-door if necessary.

[Darkness Falls]

He got it! The robot i-
    Oh. Falling.
    For a moment Tao can't tell what's happened, but when that moment is over and he's still falling, he goes to pieces.
    Literally. He bursts into dozens and dozens of little rat-sized dragon-things, which spread their wings and orient themselves to deal with the unnatural fall. Lots of them land in the machinery.
    His guns and clothing tumble over/down to where they were thrown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #936
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Tauron's Workshop]

"I used a form of machines too small for the even the most advanced of organic eyes to see without assistance. They've been specifically designed to fight any alien infection in your body, they aren't particularly advanced for their type but it was your people that inspired me to make them. The more infections they manage to fight off, the stronger they will get." Tauron explains. "But I suppose your people has more experience in this matter than I. However, if this creatures are as strong as they seem to be, couldn't they infect your scouts and then carry the infection home? I admit I don't know how you people deal with such things. Perhaps I've underestimate you once again." Tauron has started to walk around in a small circle as he thinks.

[Tauron's Temple]

Tauron nods. "I understand, and yet I don't at the same time. The feeling you have right now, I've felt it my whole life which means I have nothing to compare it to. Thus that wonderful feeling of completion... that's just my normal." He explains while trying to arrange the flowers so they don't fall out of or fall into the pot. "So to experience it for the first time like you, that must be quite something if only since the life before pales in comparison."

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ogre in the Playground

Darkness Falls

The robot is no more immune to the shift in gravity than Myriam or Tao (before he turned into a flock of dragons anyway). As the tentacles lash out and Derelith lunges, it stiffens into an aerodynamic pose and falls like a bullet. It drops through the doorway and lands on the wall of the chamber with surprising grace, raising its blade into a defensive stance. With a wave of its free hand, the motes of water surrounding it clump together and solidify into writhing chains of ice, twisting to protect the machine's flanks and back.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

I do not "ninja."
    I pirate.
    Yarr!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground

[Tauron's Temple]

Ilpholin is quiet for a moment, something striking her as odd. "It's not the first time for me actually." A tingle in the back of her mind is set off, like some kind of warning signal. "That would be when Libra turned me into a draegloth. Though maybe not as pronounced as this."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

9. - Top - End - #939

[Darkness Falls]

Lots of other things are falling, too.

But not Myriam!

Perched on the door-jam now, she points her staff down toward the escaping robot! Once again the breach in space seals as the cracks race across any available surface until the reach the machine perched on the wall. It would appear as though this effect is rather persistent. At least until someone clobbers the witch hard enough to break her focus on it. Keeping something so unnatural both in existence AND not exploding out of control is a delicate balancing act after all. The field of void tentacles doesn't vary its assault in any particularly notable way. Just aiming to grab the robot and crush it into less than dust.

Derelith doesn't dive after the machine since she's still guarding Myriam.

Especially due to the compromised position Myriam is in at the moment.

Instead, she takes a deep breath and sings at swordbot.

The sibilant wave of eldritch harmony washes over everything in its path, etching spidery, crawling script into every surface. Objects are vibrated apart and rearranged into flowing, alien patterns as information and form alike are scrambled. Getting caught in the blast would not be healthy.

[Hamleton Impact -Calm Reed]

An ignoble end?

Yes.

But better than getting eaten by it.

Picking her way over the corpse of the beast, Reed will find the priest's quarters in shambles. It looks like there was a struggle, considering the bits of torn clothing scattered about, but there's no blood or remains to speak of. Considering how bits of the plaster on the walls look to have been chewed off, there's a good chance that these horrors clean up everything after a kill. A book lays open on a nearby table, with a pen sitting next to it. The priest appears to have been writing something when he was interrupted.

The ghost proves to be completely immaterial! Which probably shouldn't come as too much of a shock, since the only way to tell that it is there is due to the effects it has on its surroundings. Colors warped into alien hues. Shapes twisted into angular spirals. That happens to whatever part of the hound that gets stuck into it as well. It may not be healthy.

Spike, meanwhile, hoofs it back toward town!

The closest building to the old mill is, unsurprisingly, the miller's house. It's a mere stone's throw from the mill itself, warped into outlandish shapes by the alien presence. Nearing the homestead, Spike will be able to hear something slithering about inside.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2019-05-24 at 02:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Orc in the Playground

Darkness Falls

Jack stuffs the wand into a pocket of her jeans and grabs her shovel with both hands, pressing the immobility button. The shovel stops dead, immovable, closer to the 'ceiling' of the altered gravity chamber than the 'floor'. She flies around and lands on it, her bird-like talons curling around it as she grabs the wand again, pointing it at the robot as she squawks to activate it.

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

If there is anything here that looks more out of place than the general mayhem, Calm Reed's senses will hone in on it like a shark smelling blood in the water. Nonetheless, for now she approaches the writing. With luck the priest wrote down something useful.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #942

[Tauron's Temple]

Tauron suddenly looks concerned as well. "A similar sensation you say? That shouldn't be..." He leans closer. "Would you mind describing what happened? I've never heard of either this 'Libra' or draegloth's."

[New Inside - The Defense Council]

"Why don't we see this as an opportunity instead? Inside is being hit hard by two different infections at once. If we just push things a bit further I believe that-"

Judeen took a deep breath, if this had been a chat conversation and not the national defense council the text "many people are typing" would be displayed at the bottom of the chat window after that comment.
    "Like a military intervention?"
    "You seriously said that out-loud? You can't keep your genocidal thoughts inside your head anymore?"
    "We're not ready-"

"Everyone calm down! Let him speak!" Judeen wouldn't accept this squabble at a moment like this. "Councilor Duron, please continue."

Ignacio Duron gave her a polite nod before turning to the gathered defense councilors with a smile. "Thank you, defense minister. As I was saying, right now Inside is tearing itself apart but a military intervention would only unite them against us. Instead, our aim could be to play them out against one another. The end goal wouldn't be to take control of the city or 'genocide', it would be to force one of the many factions that defend the city to finally take control and ease the chaos. Bring some semblance of order to that place like during the days of the empire. The trick, and if you excuse my metaphor here, would be to bet on the right horse. One that would make sure things stop spiraling out of control there everyday. Someone that would enforce actual laws."

There were scoffs and accusations following that, Judeen didn't find the plan very plausible either as Inside seemed to be impossible to bring to order. However, Duron seemed to have things in mind he wasn't telling them after meeting such resistance and considering his position within the Freedom defense league, it wouldn't be impossible for them to act on their own here. She would need to keep an eye on him...

{Plot Post 8}

Previously: Faith's Apartment
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-05-27 at 06:43 AM.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Orc in the Playground

Wrattleham

The scavenger-suburb has spent several days on the lake side flushing its plumbing, refilling its water tanks and sending out explorers, hunters and beach-combers to gather whatever they can from the area around their mobile home. But now, loaded up with driftwood from the lake, rabbits caught from the grassland, fish from the lake and rubbish from wherever it can be found. There wasn't too much of that, here; it's pretty isolated and was very pristine. They found some plastic bottles, a broken carbon fibre fishing rod, and a fibreglass kayak with a hole in the bottom.

But now it's time to move on. There's a rumble as of thunder when the engines deep within the massive vehicle are switched on, and all the scavengers who were out working rush back home. The hoses are reeled in, the cage-lift is pulled up and the observation balloon descends and is stowed just as the town starts to move. Its massive studded front wheel slowly grinds forwards, before picking up speed and hitting a cruising speed of about forty miles an hour. Its next stop? Well, they don't know where they are, but staying still is risky; there'd be no guarantee they'd be able to accelerate fast enough to escape any urbivores that spotted them from a standing start. So they're currently just moving, until they find something interesting enough to stop for.

Meanwhile, aboard, the plastic is put into a cauldron and heated over the engines, until it melts. It's separated by colour; the clear plastic bottles poured out and rolled flat, turned into windows that they can bolt on elsewhere. The lids are melted down, and applied to the kayak to try and fix it. The rabbits and fish are smoked in the engine's exhaust fumes and eaten on special occasions, or when the mayor declares a holy day because he's bored of the usual algae stew.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

[Tauron's Temple]

"Draegloths are a fusion of drow and demons that are falsely revered by our people. Libra is... an oni's puppet I ousted and stripped of power. But before that point, she had the ability to make just about any wish come true," Ilpholin explains.

She looks around for a bit. "Come. I want to walk," Ilpholin says, heading towards the room's exit. Gotta stretch her legs, and nude walks around Tauron's temple seems a good way to do it. "My whole life I dreamed of being a drow, of advancing in their culture. I devoted most of my life to learning how to fight just to be useful enough to be of worth to them. To be noticed as more than nymph trash and drop kick anyone who dared to challenge that. So when I met Libra for the first time, my wish was pretty simple. To be one of the drow I always looked up to."

"But Libra likes to twist things to her own amusement at the great expense and suffering of others. So while I was drow, I was also infected with that demonic curse- draegloth. And it was intoxicating at first. A true pinnacle. I was deluded into believing I was complete." Ilpholin spends a moment mulling this over quietly. Now it was true... Right? Maybe it is as Tauron said. Becoming complete, perfect, is a journey. If that previous high taught her anything, it's better to take this state temperately. To observe its facts. Yesterday she accepted compleation without question. Today she must reflect upon herself.

"When I finally was cured from that wench's twisted games, I entreated the patron behind Libra's powers and requested another take her place. Though I believe she was allowed to retain a shadow of her former self."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

15. - Top - End - #945

[Tauron's Workshop]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    "I used a form of machines too small for the even the most advanced of organic eyes to see without assistance. They've been specifically designed to fight any alien infection in your body, they aren't particularly advanced for their type but it was your people that inspired me to make them. The more infections they manage to fight off, the stronger they will get." Tauron explains. "But I suppose your people has more experience in this matter than I. However, if this creatures are as strong as they seem to be, couldn't they infect your scouts and then carry the infection home? I admit I don't know how you people deal with such things. Perhaps I've underestimate you once again." Tauron has started to walk around in a small circle as he thinks.
    Fay is quiet for a second, thinking, being thought to.
    "You underestimate organics again. My eyes might not see them, but there are those of us who are made for such things."
    She shakes her head carefully, and her eyes follow Tauron as he paces his circles.
    "And you understand if I don't tell you all our security measures. You're suggesting there would be a...corruption in them that we couldn't detect if it spread to the scouts? No true living infection could do it, but with the powers in this world, it's...its possible. Well. Scouts are meant to go into danger. Sometimes they don't come back."
    "But I think you want this second immune system to be tested."

Perhaps the skinwalkers will require a creative solution.

Darkness Falls
    Spoiler: Previously
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    The robot is no more immune to the shift in gravity than Myriam or Tao (before he turned into a flock of dragons anyway). As the tentacles lash out and Derelith lunges, it stiffens into an aerodynamic pose and falls like a bullet. It drops through the doorway and lands on the wall of the chamber with surprising grace, raising its blade into a defensive stance. With a wave of its free hand, the motes of water surrounding it clump together and solidify into writhing chains of ice, twisting to protect the machine's flanks and back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    Lots of other things are falling, too.

But not Myriam!

Perched on the door-jam now, she points her staff down toward the escaping robot! Once again the breach in space seals as the cracks race across any available surface until the reach the machine perched on the wall. It would appear as though this effect is rather persistent. At least until someone clobbers the witch hard enough to break her focus on it. Keeping something so unnatural both in existence AND not exploding out of control is a delicate balancing act after all. The field of void tentacles doesn't vary its assault in any particularly notable way. Just aiming to grab the robot and crush it into less than dust.

Derelith doesn't dive after the machine since she's still guarding Myriam.

Especially due to the compromised position Myriam is in at the moment.

Instead, she takes a deep breath and sings at swordbot.

The sibilant wave of eldritch harmony washes over everything in its path, etching spidery, crawling script into every surface. Objects are vibrated apart and rearranged into flowing, alien patterns as information and form alike are scrambled. Getting caught in the blast would not be healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Jack stuffs the wand into a pocket of her jeans and grabs her shovel with both hands, pressing the immobility button. The shovel stops dead, immovable, closer to the 'ceiling' of the altered gravity chamber than the 'floor'. She flies around and lands on it, her bird-like talons curling around it as she grabs the wand again, pointing it at the robot as she squawks to activate it.

The dragons wheel and swirl through the air, most of them eventually coming to perch on the machinery. They aren't willing to get close to the walls, or floor, or wall-as-floor while Myriam's magic is racing about the room. One of them lands on the tip of Jack's shovel.
    In a way, this gives them a moment to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    The ghost proves to be completely immaterial! Which probably shouldn't come as too much of a shock, since the only way to tell that it is there is due to the effects it has on its surroundings. Colors warped into alien hues. Shapes twisted into angular spirals. That happens to whatever part of the hound that gets stuck into it as well. It may not be healthy.

Spike, meanwhile, hoofs it back toward town!

The closest building to the old mill is, unsurprisingly, the miller's house. It's a mere stone's throw from the mill itself, warped into outlandish shapes by the alien presence. Nearing the homestead, Spike will be able to hear something slithering about inside.
    The hound's claws pass right through the ghost!
    And they end up a lot more square, and spirally hollowed out than it used to be.
    It's frustrated, but it doesn't seem to be hurt. And since its attack seems to have had no effect on the slithery ghost at all, it races off after Spike. It was never meant to battle fleshless ghosts. Neither of them were.

At the miller's house, Spike takes a deep breath. Another. Okay, that's better. They re-establish their shiny nearly-human disguise and try the door.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2019-05-29 at 02:20 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Spoiler
    Show

Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #946

[Tauron's Temple]

He nods and follows, only listening for now. The doors to the room automatically opens once Ilpholin approaches however, revealing what appears to be the laboratory itself. A sterile environment with a lot of surgical equipment that currently is being cleaned by the looks of it. Some manner of small golems/robots working away at the sink.

"Disturbing." Tauron declares after listening. "To think that a being could have such powers. This nexus has proven to be filled with surprises, both negative and positive, but this is something quite else. I can only hope she, or whatever her patron is, don't get involved as their capricious attitude can only lead to more trouble. As if the demons weren't enough." He shakes his head. "Is there is anything you want me to do in regards to this? Not that there seem to be much I can do, but to think you've been manipulated it's understandable if you have doubts."

[Tauron's Workshop]

"Preferably, but its up to you, Fay. I do put faith in my own work, but I cannot force you to face off against a unknown for for your first test-run and your people seem to have their own means of resistance already." Tauron replies.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground

[Feia's Coordinate Site]

Kramolagh nods a little here before clasping his gloved hands together. "Ah, I see. Vhell, best of luck to you, in zhis, and in all future endeavors, hm? And, of course, if you find yourself unsure of vhhat to do vith an entity such as zhe one you are describing, vhe are alvhays eager to take a creature of such a nature off your hands."

"Ah, vhe are here."

[Conference Satellite Launch]

Kramolagh's limousine hovers gently through some sort of illusory barrier before the enormous launch site ahead, previously obscured by some sort of technomagical shield, flashes into view. Ahead, four enormous metallic pillars, set with curious crossbeams surround what appears to be some kind of impressively sized rocket. Various personnel, clad in dark gray uniforms scurry about the launch site, moving to and from small temporary structures apparently serving as housing areas for computational devices.

Just as the Executor exits the vehicle, likely with Feiadyne in tow, Nigel's vehicle ought arrive. Mr. Bloch, after a moment, attempts to retrieve Nigel from the vehicle before pointing him over towards a viewing structure. In the meantime, Kramolagh steps forward, towards the same structure, looking upon the rocket gleefully.

"You see, Ms. Feia, zhis is a moment of great import! I am honored zhat you are here, sharing it vizh me."
    Last edited by The Mad Hatter; 2019-05-29 at 07:58 PM.

18. - Top - End - #948

Conference Satellite Launch

Nigel takes his drink with him. He also has his PJs tucked under one arm and isn't likely to relinquish them. Morning. He gives a little wave to Kram and Feia. Did he call your fridge too? He asks Feia, taking another sip of his Manhattan. I'm pretty sure that's a HR thing. Do we even have a HR department? Spooky secret research labs never have HR departments.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

19. - Top - End - #949
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

It would be a rather expectant overstatement to say Feia looks impressed by all of this.
    She never really seems outwardly impressed by anything.

What she does look, however, is mildly curious. For her, this is the next best thing to being impressed these days.
    Cute little arcanotech protections for just a rocket? Surely not, with Kramolagh's tendency for grandstanding flamboyance.
    "I am going to hazard a presumption that today is not important merely because you calculated escape velocity."

As they move over, Nigel is given a passingly polite little nod. At first.
    And then a subtle second glance, with a trace of recognition in it.
    "Not my refrigerator, no. You are?
    Absentee Spirit

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

Mr. Bloch, an eight foot tall humanoid clad all in bandages and thick leather, accompanies the trio from behind. Meanwhile, Kramolagh rushes forward, flashing identification to security guards before leading the others into a small viewing structure, designed especially for this purpose.

The Executor waggles his fingers in excitement before explaining. "No, no... Oh, erm. Zhis is Herr Nigel, he is... an employee of mine, his presence here is necessary, for now."

--

Continuing after glaring slightly towards Nigel, Kramolagh speaks. "Vizhin zhis rocket, a payload of billions of nanomachines vaits, eager to perform zhe function zhey vhere designed for, a function vhich I believe you vhill find... quite exciting."

21. - Top - End - #951

It's just Nigel, actually. Nigel clarifies, reaching to Feia for a handshake. This requires some reshuffling of his hands so he has his drink in the same hand as his PJs. It was... Feea, was it? Nigel didn't quite catch her name. Has he talked to you about HR departments at all? These spooky secret research things never have good ones.

Show

22. - Top - End - #952
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"Nigel, hm."
    This seems rather precisely like the sort of employee Kramolagh would want to keep away from her.
    Propriety seems dead on arrival with this, beyond that handshake.

Which Feia does take, perhaps despite Kramolagh's glares towards the other man.
    Although it's...a weird handshake. Her fingers seem slightly too far apart for a proper clasp and she only seems to squeeze with her fore and middle fingers.
    And her fingers are cold, like they've been recently clutching ice.
    "Feiadyne. Kramolagh and I's discussions trend away from whatever resource department you pray for."
    Human Resources is such a curiously clinical name...

And then her attention is away from Nigel, that heavy searchlight of inspection redirected back towards the subject of everyone's visit.
    The apparent nanobot rocket.
    "I hear many things about 'nanobots', but you would be surprised how few of them ever have notable results. What are your billions being reared to do that requires such a number?"
    Absentee Spirit

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

Kramolagh clasps his hands together while technicians scatter about a large control table just ahead. The viewing structure leads briefly underground, into a sort of cleft wherein a special glass window allows for those inside to view the launch zone. Ignoring Nigel, as is customary, he responds solely to Feia.

"A satellite, of sorts, fully habitable. It is highly efficient, utilizing nanomachines in zhe creation of our own interstellar station. Beyond zhat, my researchers believe zhat zhe sattelite vhill function, in time, as a chassis of sorts, its computational capabilities more than prepared to handle a consciousness as powerful as zhose zhat vhe have vhorked vith in zhe past."

"Fully capable of passing along information in orbit, zhe station vhill ensure zhat any host intelligence is allowed to reach its full potential."

"Allowing it to, in a word... propagate."
    Last edited by The Mad Hatter; 2019-05-29 at 09:47 PM.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

Darkness Falls

The sound washes over the robot with no effect. Its connection to Order keeps its molecules firmly arranged. As the tentacles begin to wrap around its legs, it melts some of the chains into a fire-hose velocity blast of water, aimed to dislodge Myriam from her perch. The jackdaw missile also hits it, sending it stumbling back, but it regains its balance.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

I do not "ninja."
    I pirate.
    Yarr!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #955
    Ogre in the Playground

[Tauron's Temple]

He nods and follows, only listening for now. The doors to the room automatically opens once Ilpholin approaches however, revealing what appears to be the laboratory itself. A sterile environment with a lot of surgical equipment that currently is being cleaned by the looks of it. Some manner of small golems/robots working away at the sink.

"Disturbing." Tauron declares after listening. "To think that a being could have such powers. This nexus has proven to be filled with surprises, both negative and positive, but this is something quite else. I can only hope she, or whatever her patron is, don't get involved as their capricious attitude can only lead to more trouble. As if the demons weren't enough." He shakes his head. "Is there is anything you want me to do in regards to this? Not that there seem to be much I can do, but to think you've been manipulated it's understandable if you have doubts."
    [Tauron's Temple]

Ilpholin walks slowly as if taking in the sights, but she's honestly not that interested in the lab, continuing onwards.

"There's nothing to be done. I have dealt with Libra and she cannot harm me anymore. The point is, I wanted to become drow so badly, so intensely throughout my entire life that once I became one, however twisted, I felt compleat. Have you never had anyone else mention feeling that way before?"
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2019-05-30 at 12:53 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

26. - Top - End - #956

Default [Tauron's Workshop]

"Preferably, but its up to you, Fay. I do put faith in my own work, but I cannot force you to face off against a unknown for for your first test-run and your people seem to have their own means of resistance already." Tauron replies.
    "We will see what my queen recommends." As if Fay might decide to do something else.
    "Right now I think I... should rest." It's tiring, doing everything with a new body. Even if you're not doing much. Tauron said there would be a space for her here. She tries to head over there.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Spoiler
    Show

Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #957
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Lost Path

Votsona's words may be in jest, but the humor isn't entirely effective on Blanche. Sighing, she turns to look up at the hunter with a tired stare. "Please don't encourage them, I'd rather not end up punching the lights out of one of your family members." It seems like a poor way to repay their hospitality, after all. "How big is your family anyways?"
    [Lost Path]

"Err... well... that is a somewhat difficult question," says Votsona, eyes flicking down to meet Blanche's gaze. "My family is a little peculiar."

A cluster of high pitched whistles and birdcalls echo through the woods around the pair as they ride down a short incline. Blanche might glimpse shapes moving in the trees, which rapidly break to reveal a standing lodge on the edge of a short cliff that overlooks a slow-running river. The lodge is huge - like a might feasting hall, built to accommodate manyfold patrons and guests.
    My avatar was done by Gulaghar. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

28. - Top - End - #958

Nigel's shaken Kram's hand before he's not gonna question his friend's weird handshakes.

How do you get air up there. Nigel says, looking at the rocket in concern. I heard some guys tried some larger scale nanobot building stuff but normally they did it planetside so the bots could pull resources and air from the planet itself. Nigel takes another sip from his manhattan, sort of awkwardly as he's still holding his PJs under his arm. Plus eventually they decided it was cheaper to just use regular building materials and an air filter.

Show

29. - Top - End - #959

[Tauron's Workshop]

"Yes, good idea. Your queen seems both wise and experienced in these matters so I will simply let her take the decisions in this matter." Tauron nods. "But yes, sleep will make you more productive. Feel free to lay down wherever you want inside the temple, I will check in on you from time to time to make sure everything is alright."

[Tauron's Temple]

Tauron is silent for longer than usual as taps his artificial knuckles together. "Admittedly... I have not been able to work with any of my own projects until I came here. My ideas were considered controversial among the ones that lead us so I never really had a chance to complete anyone, least of all hear what they had to say after the process. The few I could interact with followed a very different philosophy than my own, preserving less individuality in its subjects." He explains as he is leading her out of the lab, the doors opening to reveal stairs made of a material as white as bone.
    It seems like the workshop is right underneath a structure that best could be described as a temple, complete with an altar and scriptures of some alien letters inscribed in the stone. There are no obvious light sources within the temple hall, all light seems to be coming from the large windows above them. Yet it isn't a city she can hear outside, its the sounds of nature.
    "So you could say that you're one of my first patients and that I don't know much more than you about the process. I wish I did though so I could be of better help. Perhaps by studying my masters notes I could give you some more answers, but I have the feeling you wouldn't want to stay around and wait for that."

30. - Top - End - #960

It would appear as though the journel's last few pages contain a rendition of what happened after the meteor impact in hopes that whoever comes afterwards might find the information useful. Whether that information ends up being useful remains to be seen.

A strange light had been seen in the sky shortly before the impact, which destroyed the mill outright. Several villagers approached to find the miller's home and the surrounding land warped in impossible ways. It was then that a horror attacked the group of villagers from the remains of the homestead. Two people were devoured and the rest fled. Shortly there after, the ghosts began descending upon the village. They preferentially targeted children, their touch pulling them asunder and giving the ghosts flesh with which to stitch together bodies for themselves. The monsters could be killed with great violence and much sacrifice on the part of the few town guards, but the ghosts were untouchable.

The priest had fled to his study and barred the door, writing his account and praying that help wouldn't arrive too late.

Hopefully the Hound doesn't forget that it is supposed to look like a hound.

The door to the homestead simply pulls away in Spike's hands. And once released, it will hang in mid-air quite oblivious to the relentless tug of gravity. The interior of the building is twisted almost beyond recognition, angles warped and colors a kaleidoscope of iridescence. Four masses of crystal growth decorate the interior, tended to by a jellyfish-like creature drifting through the morass of impossible geometry. It fixes its gaze upon Spike as soon as they appear, reaching out with branching tendrils and spraying a wave of corrosive red fluid in their direction.

How rude.

[Darkness Falls]

She felt that.

It did something impossible. Like that demon she and her friends had encountered down in the temple. Instead of responding to precise application of information and the manipulation there-of like any normal thing ought to, it did something else. Does that mean it is made of 'pure evil' like the demon was? She isn't certain, but she doesn't believe so. She could hardly even perceive the demon. It was just so impossibly other that she had difficulty even conceptualizing it.

But this thing?

She can perceive it just fine.

Maybe it's connected to a source of pure evil?

That doesn't make it much better, does it?

Derelith moves quickly when she notes the machine's target, interposing herself between it and Myriam. The water strikes her with significant force, but she remains unmoved. Myriam, meanwhile, continues to focus on the breach she created, calling more tentacles through to lash about the robot in a steadily crushing embrace.