New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 47: [Insert seasonal phrase that will be outdated when this thread ends]

[Neon Boss Fight]

Morne responds to annoying clouds of projectiles in a way Simon Belmont wishes he could have decades ago. Landing on the ground (still with a hole in his left hand and missing a finger mind you; doesn't seem to be slowing him down), he leaps out in front of Khannie and hops into the air, his body crackling with purple energy.
    And then?
    Then he throws an enormous ball of void power at the boss, directly interacting with its puny scythe things.
    It explodes on contact with something big, obviously.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 47: [Insert seasonal phrase that will be outdated when this thread ends]

[Neon Boss Fight!]

The projectile swarm is summary nom'd by the giant ball of purple doom!

Our friend the reaper looks like it's just going to dodge effortlessly out of the way, but Khannie whips up her pistol and blasts it square in the face with a dizzying blast of force! It's just enough wobbling for the big purple bomb to hit home.

bada BOOM!

Or whatever sound a giant ball of void energy makes.

When the dust settles, the reaper is still standing, but it looks worse for wear. Not about to slow down, it launches itself and Morne and Khannie, sweeping its scythe in a wide arc!

Khannie was expecting that giant attack to finish the thing off and doesn't move quite as quickly as she should. Instead she-

Turns misty and incorporeal.

And the energy attack passes right through her harmlessly.

"I really need to remember I can do that..."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Family Farm

"Fair 'nuff, Oi suppose. 'Ang a mo, Oi'll be roight down." Slinging the musket over their back, the marshwiggle climbs down the ladder and onto the ground. Now they're down, it's clear just how tall they are; well over two metres tall, though most of it is leg; the dungarees are sized for a human, and end halfway between knee and ankle. Once there, they walk over to where something very large has knocked over a short dry stone wall, spilling rubble out and away. "Oi don't know what knockered down this wall, only that Oi've got to put it back up agin... An' all the others." The marshwiggle motions across the field, as whatever knocked over this wall has done the same to a fence of wood and chicken wire, another dry stone wall, and a hawthorn hedge. There's tracks in the mud, of something heavy and wheeled, quite low to the ground judging by how much of the walls have toppled, and most of the damage is pointing towards the farm; the driver didn't turn around, suggesting either it reversed up and drove away, drove in and reversed out, or is some kind of reversible vehicle that moves as easily back as forward. "Oi was at market when it 'appened. All Oi can say is whatever 'appened did so tween eleven this mornin' an' two thirty this affernoon. Oi was sellin' eggs an' gourds, mainly."
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

4. - Top - End - #94

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Forlorn Family Farm

"Fair 'nuff, Oi suppose. 'Ang a mo, Oi'll be roight down." Slinging the musket over their back, the marshwiggle climbs down the ladder and onto the ground. Now they're down, it's clear just how tall they are; well over two metres tall, though most of it is leg; the dungarees are sized for a human, and end halfway between knee and ankle. Once there, they walk over to where something very large has knocked over a short dry stone wall, spilling rubble out and away. "Oi don't know what knockered down this wall, only that Oi've got to put it back up agin... An' all the others." The marshwiggle motions across the field, as whatever knocked over this wall has done the same to a fence of wood and chicken wire, another dry stone wall, and a hawthorn hedge. There's tracks in the mud, of something heavy and wheeled, quite low to the ground judging by how much of the walls have toppled, and most of the damage is pointing towards the farm; the driver didn't turn around, suggesting either it reversed up and drove away, drove in and reversed out, or is some kind of reversible vehicle that moves as easily back as forward. "Oi was at market when it 'appened. All Oi can say is whatever 'appened did so tween eleven this mornin' an' two thirty this affernoon. Oi was sellin' eggs an' gourds, mainly."
    Metalhead follows the tracks as far as they go. He also does a scan to see if he pick up what materials the tires were made of.
    Spoiler: Moskra Rhadan
    Show

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1638...ew?usp=sharing

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Spoiler: Bad Guys Win Campaign Links
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Family Farm ((You don't have to quote every post you're replying to, Leostales, unless you can't see it in the 'Topic Review' at the bottom.))

The vehicle doesn't have tyres; the wheels are made of solid metal, iron and steel with a decorative brass filigree. They go about five miles, marred at one point by the squashed, white-feathered body of a chicken. It was crushed by the wheels.

At the end of the tracks, there's a cave in the side of a hill. Well, I say 'cave', it's clearly been worked- the rocks littering the hillside are mostly chunks of old concrete, and the tracks have run over a barbed wire fence- interestingly, the fence fell a long time ago, by something pushing the other direction to all the other collapsed fences and walls. The cave's mouth is not large enough to fit the vehicle Metalhead's been following, but he can find it nearby too. It's been parked at the bottom of the hill, and it's huge. A massive six-wheeled monster vehicle, it could have driven over the farmhouse and not stopped.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

[Neon Boss Fight]

Morne leaps into the air again to avoid the scythe strike, firing the revolver that's back in his hand again. He's awfully good at rapid weapon drops. Too bad his fusion rifle is on the floor over there.
    "Yeah that was kind of my big thing if you wanted to throw anything at him yourself." he says between shots.

7. - Top - End - #97

RedWizardGuy

Cave nearby Forlorn Family Farm

OOC: Sorry, bad habit of mine.

Metalhead's first instinct is to enter the cave, but he decides to check out the vehicle first, hoping he can cripple it so it can't be used against him.
    Show

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Show

8. - Top - End - #98

[Neon BOSS FIGHT!]

Khannie decides she's going to do exactly that. The throw something part.

The reaper is getting peppered with bullets now, moving sluggishly compared to before. Which means it is left wide open when Khannie rams her sword straight into the thing's torso, the blade surging with incandescent heat. Cloth burns, metal melts, and synthetic flesh and organs sizzle. The thing goes limp around Khannie's sword, slumping to the floor.

"We did it..." Khannie mutters. "We DID IT!" she cheers!

They did it!

The stupid robot is defeated!

The door beyond the room slides open, revealing a rather important looking device that's churning out tubes filled with goblins and other awful cybernetic creations. This is it. The thing that keeps making the monsters.

The thing Khannie had set out to destroy.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

There's a door at the back to a crew compartment, one large enough to hold quite a few large animals- and judging by the smell and presence of a cowpat, recently has. There's a door into a cramped engine compartment, filled with magical, aether-powered machinery that makes the Irontread Crusher move around, and a ladder to the commander's viewing platform and the controls, as well as a crossbow mounted on the roof. Metalhead could probably figure out how it works and drive it off, or he could try smashing things until it no longer worked. Or he could try and disable it somehow so he could drive it off later.

10. - Top - End - #100

RedWizardGuy

Forlorn Cave

Metalhead decides to try to disable it. Normally he could do so easily, but due to his time machine being wrecked he'll have to make an educated guess. He's had tons of experience with machines so this shouldn't be a problem.

OOC: up to you on whether he succeeds or not.
    Last edited by Leostales; 2018-11-11 at 07:37 PM.
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

Well, disabling something is usually pretty easy; all you need to do is remove a moving part and hide it somewhere or take it with you. And there's some moving parts, even if the fuel is... Something he's probably not familiar with. Distilled magic, gathered from the sky and condensed into large jars which are plugged in to serve as batteries. It's a steampunk vehicle, so there's bound to be some cogs or belts or something, right? The aether battery is probably too large to remove and stay subtle about it, so a smaller cog is likely the best bet.

Now he just has to hope he doesn't lose the cog, and that there's not something so reliant upon the cog he's removed that it's broken somewhere he can't see. Because that would be a nightmare.

12. - Top - End - #102

RedWizardGuy

Forlorn Cave

Metalhead gets out of the vehicle and heads into the cave, switching his robotic eyes to infrared mode.
    Last edited by Leostales; 2018-11-11 at 07:55 PM.
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

The cave is quite short and narrow, before it turns to the right and carries on quite a bit further, sloping severely as it does. There were steps in the concrete floor, but they've crumbled and collapsed and been worn nearly smooth. At the far end, just before the end of the corridor, there's a metal sliding door. The infra-red eyes aren't super helpful; it's cold and sucks the heat from the air, and it's hard to tell if anyone has been down here recently. The only obvious heat source is an old-fashioned tube lightbulb glowing above the door at the far end.

14. - Top - End - #104

RedWizardGuy

Forlorn Cave

Metalhead pulls out a gun in case of trouble, and opens the door, making sure that it is between him and whatever is inside the room while he does this.
    Last edited by Leostales; 2018-11-11 at 08:15 PM.
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slii Arhem View Post
    Spongy Campsite

Rea shakes her head, but not despairingly. She has a small smile of encouragement as Dustin tries to wrap his head around a difficult quantum mechanics problem, "Not really. This was your first meeting, they just... premembered all of the meetings. Because they were happening all at once from their perspective and only one time from yours." Her mouth quirks at the inventive use of a word she knows isn't quite a word, but will convey her meaning nonetheless.

"We're not natural time-walkers any more than you are, for all that we can see ahead." And delicately she accepts the mess tray, but uses the utensil to knock a few morsels back into the pan, a reminder that she needs only very little food. She also lays the utensils by for him and begins eating daintily with her fingers, completely unfazed by the heat. Which, with her obviously higher body temperature might not even occur to her as overly hot.

"This is... marvelous." She holds up a hand to forestall any protests of modesty, "Our senses, as they are, are so clinical and divorced of pleasure and desire. But this is astounding. The nerves and chemicals are each little minds of their own-" She cuts herself off with a deep sigh and a full-body shudder, her shoulders relaxing as she looks longingly at her empty tray and then at his pan. He might realize that at the corners of her eyes, a deepening shadow has begun to spread, starting as inky tears that soon lift off of her cheeks as wisps of twinkling, midnight smoke.

"It's so wonderful. Thank you, Dustin. I am content." Her body shakes again, looking vulnerable and overwhelmed in the early evening light.
    Spongy Campsite

Dustin had quite a bit more to say, but when she begins to cry, he prevents himself from talking and finishes his small bite of food before setting the pan aside so he can drag her close into a small hug under one arm to comfort her. After a bit of silence he'll give her a gentle squeeze before nodding towards the tent. "Come on. I think the day is finally getting to me and you're right about how it'll probably fit two." He admits. Normally he'd give her the tent to her own, but even if the vulnerability was an act it certainly pulled at his heartstrings. She'd effectively just lost her folks and he wasn't going to be an ass and just cast her aside or keep her at arm's length. Besides, for all his chivalry, he couldn't help but admit to himself that he'd be far more comfortable with someone else next to him over staying the night under the stars.

After he gets up to open the front of the tent to reveal the sleeping bag and mat however, he pauses, a nagging thought coming to him. "...do you need sleep or are you likely to just lay there all night?" He wonders.

16. - Top - End - #106

Spongy Campsite

"I can sleep. My body was based off of a human's, though it is tempting to just turn off the chemicals that would make me tired. I suspect it would eventually drive me mad, though." She leans into his embrace, unsure of what to do with herself before tentatively putting an arm around him. "We can sometimes enter a restive state while we're waiting for the results of our actions for hundreds of years at a time. From what I understand, this will be similar, but much shorter." When she pulls back, her eyes are surrounded by a dusky, smokey shadow that looks like badly-applied makeup, but even that is fading away as she regains her control.

"I suspect if I took even one more bite I would start to lose cohesion. I will have to train myself about taste on blander foods before I work up to something so delicious again. You should finish your portion though. I would hate for it to go to waste." And she looks far too tempted to take another bite.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

Keeping the door between himself and whatever is inside doesn't always work, and it doesn't work here. I specified it was a sliding door, and at a push of a button, it slides into the ceiling with an electronic hum.

Beyond, there's a rather large room, divided into smaller spaces by wire fencing and crude barricades of wood and rubble. There's eight such enclosures, holding currently three cows, four horses and a pregnant pig. There's two doors leading away, another metal sliding door like the one Metalhead's just used, and a more traditional wooden door. Snoozing next to the door is presumably one of the abductors. They're sat in an old armchair, and wear red robes and a tricorn hat. They're human, or look to be mostly human at least, and have a cutlass resting against the armchair next to them and they cradle a flintlock musket, one of older manufacture than the marshwiggle's own Brown Bess.

18. - Top - End - #108

RedWizardGuy

After a moment of planning, Metalhead quickly lifts the guard by the neck with one hand, while trying to disarm him with the other (gun first, them the cutlass).

"If you yell, I'll crush your neck. Quietly answer my questions. Are there more of you here? Where are your prisoners? Why are you stealing livestock?" he says softly, but menacingly.
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

The robed man gasps and gulps as he's so rudely awakened, revealing a pair of bright yellow cat-like eyes, though he seems otherwise human. He grabs Metalhead's arm with one hand whilst the other reaches into his robes and pulls out a bronze dagger with a serpent-headed pommel, which he'll try to stab Metalhead with. He's not saying anything, though, so the alarm isn't raised yet.

The musket and cutlass were easy to move away, though. Especially as the cutlass was leaning against the chair and not actually equipped to the man.

20. - Top - End - #110

RedWizardGuy

"Answer my questions!" Metalhead snarls, tightening his grip.

If the man tries to stab Metalhead, the dagger will damage some circuits causing Metalhead to drop him.
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

Now he's free, the cat-eyed man stabs at Metalhead's metal head, aiming for eyes or, at least, the senses. He's just an average man underneath the robes, no enhanced strength or durability. And the knife is pretty basic, especially given it's made of bronze. It's not a great metal for weaponry, and the dagger looks more ceremonial or decorative than intended for violence... Even if it is razor-sharp, and slightly blood-stained.

22. - Top - End - #112

RedWizardGuy

Forlorn Cave

Metalhead knocks the dagger out of the man's hand and grabs and breaks both the man's wrists. He pulls out a gun and points it at the man's head.

"Answer my questions or die!" He snarls. "No second chances."
    Last edited by Leostales; 2018-11-14 at 03:21 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

[Neon Facility]

Morne gives the reaper’s body a solid kick and goes to retrieve his rifle.
    ”Tch. Not a drop.” he follows Khannie into the new room.
    ”We got a self destruct button in here anywhere? Otherwise we’re gonna need to just smash it the old fashioned way.”
    Time to look for a switch! Or a console! Or a blinking chest!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

((If this guy wasn't a disposable NPC, that would be godmodding. As it is, it still is godmodding, but I'll let it slide. Please keep that in mind.))

The man screams as his wrists are broken, but doesn't answer the question. Instead, he falls to his knees and starts chanting. "Father of Wealth, keep me safe. Son of Greed, fill my pockets. Brother of Hate, kill my enemies. Father of Wealth, keep me safe. Son of Greed, fill my pockets. Brother of Hate, kill my enemies." He'll chant that in a rotation, not stopping or answering questions, but it's certain that somebody has heard his scream and they know Metalhead is here.

25. - Top - End - #115

RedWizardGuy

((Sorry, I will not do that again.))
    Forlorn Cave

Metalhead figures that the alarm has been raised. Instead of killing the guy, he tries to use him as a human shield as he opens the door he was guarding.
    Last edited by Leostales; 2018-11-12 at 07:02 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

[Neon Facility]

Khannie jiggles the gem at her neck a bit, and in a flash is small again.

Fight over!

Powerup done.

"Why would there be a self-destruct button?" Khannie asks, clearly puzzled by this concept.

As Morne searches, he'll find now self-destruct button.

But he WILL find a glowing chest attached to the machinery with a great big glowing red button atop it.

Khannie just stares at the thing.

"But... but why?"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

[Neon Facility]

”Better limber up. We probably won’t be able to control the destruct timer and will have to run. Or we could be lucky and we can just set it for an hour.” Morne says. Why are self destruct sequence timers always pre-programmed? Isn’t a setable timer more practical?
    Either way Morne tried to see if he can open the chest without pressing the button.

28. - Top - End - #118

[Neon Facility]

Khannie just sorta stands there, looking bewildered.

"Is this for real?" she asks. The idea of a self-destruct sequence being attached to a high-tech treasure chest is utterly absurd to her, but apparently Morne thinks that's more or less normal?

The only thing she can really think of is the first Indiana Jones movie, where Indiana picks up the gold statue off the pedestal and the whole temple collapses 'cuz he put too much sand in the bag. Khannie glances around, looking for any indication that they might have to run away from a giant boulder.

It turns out that the only way to get the chest open is to push the button. Ah well.

Should Morne poke it, the chest pop open with a pneumatic hiss, revealing three things inside! A suit of advanced cloth and ceramic armor that matches the cape they had found for Khannie earlier, and a VERY fancy looking rifle. It is, in fact, a wave-motion rifle. A bit of spool-up time, then it fires a rather wide, piecing beam of plasma. The weapon's internal fusion core then begins building up its capacitors again, giving the powerful weapon a hefty recharge time. And last of all, some replacement parts for the little broken hovering robot Khannie had used to access the elevator to the facility in the first place.

Sweet!

And of course klaxons and red lights begin flashing.

"Time bomb set," announces a synthesized, female voice. "You have three minutes to escape."

Swell.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

[Neon Facility]

Morne looks at the chest.
    Morne looks at Khannie.
    Morne shoves all the loot into his pockets and runs for it.
    ”We’ll divvy this up later gogogogogogo!”

30. - Top - End - #120

[Neon Facility No More]

Two minutes and forty five seconds of frantic racing later, out heroes are on the surface again.

Fifteen seconds after that the ground rumbles under their feet, the forest floor bulging, before settling a good yard lower than it had been a few seconds ago. Khannie hardly manages to keep her balance!

And so?

The weird technological forest is still weird.

"That was fun!" Khannie cheers. "I guess I should have known better than trying to clear all dungeon all by myself, thanks for helping mister!"

And then?

She'll hug Morne on the leg.

D'aaww...