New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 47: [Insert seasonal phrase that will be outdated when this thread ends]

Yellow Sands Waste

Kothar steps in front of Kinex, shielding him from the flames. As the fire strikes, an odd thing seems to happen. Kothar's shield seems to absorb the flames, lapping at them hungrily and significantly weakening the attack, although Kothar still ends up singed. He charges at the dragon, swinging his axe in a wide arc, leaving the arcane flame deactivated while the holy flame still burns.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Outside 47: [Insert seasonal phrase that will be outdated when this thread ends]

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Forlorn Cave

"Petey'll get his when we've got no one better. We got better to offer now, so you don't worry about it. Cap'n'll do Petey hisself. What, you think you're up on the altar? Nah, Cap'n wants you holdin' the knife." A better idea to the test would have been to ask what the name attached to the face was, since this is quite a small group everyone knows everyone else, and Metalhead knows none of it and is relying on robes and stolen faces to get through without bothering to learn names.
    Metalhead pulls out his gun, and tries to shoot to disarm rather than kill.
    Spoiler: Moskra Rhadan
    Show

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1638...ew?usp=sharing

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Spoiler: Bad Guys Win Campaign Links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #213

[Yellow Sands Waste]

Kinex cowers behind Kothar, glad that he isn't getting cooked at the moment. Once the wall of blasting heat dies down, he hurries back to his groveling companions and fetches their spears, too. He can keep helping!

Meanwhile, axe to the face!

Another deep gouge is carved into the ash beast, and it responds with a devastating swipe of its claws! Should Kothar be wounded, he'll find the flesh around the slashes becomes cremated.

That's...

Probably bad.

He shouldn't let it clobber him.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #214

Irradiated Wasteland- Sanctum of Dust, Drider

There's... there's more. Of course, of course, they knew there'd be more. This is just the start. 40 people is fine, it's worth it, it'll have to be. ....Ok. They say quietly, stashing the dagger inside one of their pockets.

They turn to leave, staring at their hand as they go. This is what they wanted. They wanted this.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Irradiated Wasteland- Sanctum of Dust, Elf

Elimnea gasps as she feels the numbness of death flowing through her form, replacing the torment that came before. She shrieks involuntarily at the vision she's given, before staring with dark fascination at her arm's rapid decomposition.

She takes the athame with her dead and bony hand, nodding. "The cries of forty screams. Do I need to kill forty people, or just stab them a little so they scream?" It's poetic language, but she's not sure how she can 'know' life by ending it with a magic dagger.

Forlorn Cave

The crocodile-man gasps and drops the musket as the bullet thunks into his forearm, penetrating the scales and causing him more pain than he's grown used to. Then before the three-eyed man can react, a bullet thwacks into the bell of his blunderbuss, rupturing the barrel and rendering it useless. "Heh. The Cap'n's still expectin' you. Even if you ain't who you look like. Or bothered t' know whose face yer' wearin'. Did ye kill Edmund, or keep 'im alive as ye peeled it off?" The cultists aren't familiar with the silicon he's using to make his masks, the idea that something so lifelike is produced by copying the face without removing it.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

6. - Top - End - #216

RedWizardGuy

Forlorn Cave

"It don't matter friends, you're going first." he says, gesturing towards the curtain with his gun. If one of them goes through, he will wait a second or two to see what happens, if nothing out of the ordinary happens, he will follow after.
    Show

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Show

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

"Sure, we'll go first. What do we have t' be scared of? The Cap'n won't harm us, we're Faithful, not like Petey or his idiot nephew." The scaled man takes three-eyes hand and walks through the curtain into the chamber beyond.

After a few seconds, it seems as though nothing else has happened. They haven't come back, at least, so hopefully that's what Metalhead was expecting.

If he follows through the curtain, read the spoiler.
    Spoiler: Shrine to Angrizz
    Show
    Beyond the curtain is a large chamber with a cold, red marble floor, with rows of indentations worn by knees into the floor. The walls are black marble and carved with scenes of death, excess and debauchery. The scaly man and the three-eyed man stand on either side of the archway, flanking Metalhead as he steps in. At the far end of the room there's a squat statue carved from white marble. It depicts an obese, frog-like thing with four eyes and eight eyes positioned equilaterally around its head and no nose, with a grotesquely extended mouth gaping open in a foul grin. It gazes into a pit set in the floor before it, deep and dark and seemingly bottomless.

Hanging from their wrists by a chain set into the ceiling above the pit is a female marshwiggle. She's wearing a yellow cotton dress under a denim jacket, with an empty sheathe hanging at her side, for a knife of some kind. Standing next to her is the Cap'n. The Cap'n's a tall, muscularly built man, wearing a black greatcoat with a pair of holes ripped in it for an extra pair of arms, all four arms impressively muscled and bulky. He's got thick black dreadlocks cascading most of the way down his back, under a tricorn hat with a cluster of bright feathers sticking from it. Four cutlasses are belted at his waist, two on each side. His eyes are a piercing icy blue, and he holds a ceremonial bronze dagger by the blade, offering the hilt to Metalhead. "Ahoy, lubber. Angrizz has been expectin' ye. Feed the Lord o' Greed this poor girly, or feed 'Im with yer own blood."

If Metalhead approaches the pit, he'll hear a faint whispering susurrus, like ten people whispering together, though very few words are recognisable- 'death', 'kill her', 'feed us' are examples, though given the quantity of voices and their low volume, he might be mishearing.

8. - Top - End - #218

RedWizardGuy

Forlorn Cave

"I don't bleed, so how about your blood instead," says Metalhead who pulls out his gun, firing at the captain.
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

The bullet hits the Cap'n, and he falls over, dropping the ceremonial knife. The marshwiggle screams, shocked by the sudden sound as (as far as she knows) the cultists turn on each other.

Speaking of cultists, the two guarding the door try to grab Metalhead by each arm, crocodile-cultist trying not to jar his wounded right arm too much, hampering his effectiveness, whilst three-eyes rattles his tail and pulls a ceremonial bronze dagger from his robes. He's not trying to stab yet though.

The Cap'n stands up, slowly, bleeding from a gunshot wound to one of their arms.

10. - Top - End - #220

RedWizardGuy

Metalhead tries to punch the cultist on his left arm, and tries to hit either the captain or the other cultist with his gun.
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Yellow Sands Waste

Kothar is an expert at fighting using a shield. He blocks the swipe then strikes back, swinging the axe from the right, and bashing the creature from the left with his shield.

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #222

[Yellow Sands Waste]

Kenix tosses two more spears!

The crude iron heads bite into the monster's flank, the third finding the gap the first spear had created. With a snarl the elemental horror turns its attention to the kobold, only to take a telling blow to the neck! With a crackling gasp it slumps to the ground, its flesh slowly unraveling into bits of burn bone, scales, charred wood, and ashes.

"Hehe..." the thing titters. "Hehehe... you seek to save your precious great one," the monster hisses. "But King Goldemar already has his claws in her mind. The fae have claimed her, and the fae keep what they claim."

And then with a sound of a guttering fire the horror falls to pieces.

Nothing but a heap of hearth ashes.

...and the blackened bones of all the poor kobolds it had devoured.

The trio of still living kobolds look suitably horrified.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Firbolg in the Playground

((I'll reply to SC's scene when I have more time, sorry.))

[Wizards' Tower]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    Sylvess very hesitantly follows her in, looking very twitchy. Doesn't really seem appropriate for a pure copper dragon of sort-of-royal blood, but Sylvess has never been particularly good at that whole "being a fierce dragon" thing. Cleo's hand is awkwardly accepted, which mostly just leads to Sylvess hopping along like a slightly drunk dragon. "I didn't- I'm sorry. I hope I d-didn't, um, disturb...everyone."
    Yes, yes, Sylvess is a disgrace. Acting as fearful as a hatchling.
    Once inside Cleo lets him have his hand back.
    "Oh no, we're not disturbed at all. The children are asleep, Keiko is at the temple, and I'm sure Spako will be glad to see you."

"Besides, we're here to help. Here, would you like some tea?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

The scaled cultist is punched, right in the injured arm and hisses in pain as they reflexively let go to grab their injured forearm and hold it away from further harm. Three-eyes, meanwhile, is shot, and collapses dead, the dagger dropping from their hand.

The Cap'n approaches, a smile on his too-wide face. "Heh, you've got fight in ye, lubber. Angrizz would reward ye greatly, if y'd just accept Him as yer master. Longevity, youth, more arms, tails, stronger bodies, tougher ones, all that stuff." The Cap'n's giving examples that might tempt an organic life-form, but maybe aren't too attractive to a robot- or even understandable.

15. - Top - End - #225

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Forlorn Cave

The scaled cultist is punched, right in the injured arm and hisses in pain as they reflexively let go to grab their injured forearm and hold it away from further harm. Three-eyes, meanwhile, is shot, and collapses dead, the dagger dropping from their hand.

The Cap'n approaches, a smile on his too-wide face. "Heh, you've got fight in ye, lubber. Angrizz would reward ye greatly, if y'd just accept Him as yer master. Longevity, youth, more arms, tails, stronger bodies, tougher ones, all that stuff." The Cap'n's giving examples that might tempt an organic life-form, but maybe aren't too attractive to a robot- or even understandable.
    "I can build my own arms, thank you very much," he says letting loose many more shots at the captain, hoping it will kill him like it did the big man from earlier.
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Yellow Sands Waste

Kothar shoulders his axe. "I wouldn't worry about that. The power of Tlacua can purge even the most insidious magics. Which way now?"

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slii Arhem View Post
    Spongy Glen

"I see you three speak for him rather freely." Rea smiles warmly, with a hint of something else beneath...

"Well, Dustin? It's been a long day, shall you and I retire to the tent as you promised? I'm sure these three can keep each other warm." She gives the remaining two a quick, teasing squeeze around the middle before standing, as unstoppable as the rising tide, and striding towards her new companion. After all, if these three stalked him all the way here with no thought to their own sleeping arrangements, that was no business of hers.

Her gown trails after her, fraying and dispersing into gaseous vapors, a nebula of shimmering, luminous color. But as it thins at the edges, it spins into a floating, rippling sheet that curls according to pressures and currents beyond the physical. As the sun's last rays are disappearing, Rea is coming into her powers more fully.

And despite her teasing she's at least offering something. A tent made of starstuff, slowly becoming more solid as atoms are herded and bonded to one another from across galaxies into something thin, strong, and insulating. They'll have to find or cut poles for it, but the cloth is there, sturdy and ready for use.
    Spongy Campsite

The Ewe Sisters seem to get the idea and slink off to build their "tent". They find tent poles and supplies out of nowhere, but such are the whims of fate itself it seems. Dustin only heads into his and Rea's tent after he finishes cooking up more than enough food for the three sisters. "Don't take them so seriously, Rea. Sure, they might have serious roles to play and goad me, but I imagine they tend to be bored and lonely when they aren't around me. I don't mind them much anymore. They only really speak because they've known me...goin' on ten years now. Knew my family for longer. It's jus' the sorta thing that sticks to my family I suppose." He admits, nodding towards the small cedar box with a blank red wax seal along the edge.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Halfling in the Playground

[Wizards Tower]

Poor Sylvess. Such a disgrace. Everyone is mean to him for being a wimp.

"T-tea would be nice, yes. I-I'm sorry, it was rude of me to shout for him like that at the door. I need to, um, remember that other people live here." Sylvess lowers his head apologetically. Really not appropriate behaviour for a dragon! Not at all! "I- yes, Spako, is he alright? I was, um, otherwise detained when we'd arranged to meet up next."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

19. - Top - End - #229

[Yellow Sands Waste]

The kobolds will lead our hero out of their warrens and into the main entertaining hall of their great one, the copper wyrm Tazmikella. It was once opulent, but now it looks more like the hovel of some poor person obsessed with hording. The place is a mess, bits of decaying meat spread around the floor, half eaten carcasses attracting flies. There were once cheerful tapestries, but now they're torn and faded.

Worst of all, though, is Tazmikella herself.

The dragon is pushing her head against the far wall of the chamber, scratching herself raw with one claw while she mutters and giggles to herself.

It's...

Really sad.

Here and there her scales look burnt. Almost ashy. Her horns are starting to take on the appearance of charcoal. Smudged, dirty, miserable, and mad.

She doesn't acknowledge the presence of our heroes.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [The Old Forest]

"I do think I would have smelled it if your new mistress was evil," the Old Man Forest says. "It's an odd, cold scent, but not a foul one. And sadly, a foul smell is all too familiar to me now. You remember the story I told you of the King in Rags, don't you? He's coming back."
    [The Old Forest]

Adir can only gape a bit at that. "If... I remember right, him coming back was a bit of a long shot. It can't be good, anyways. What's that mean for this place? Are you and the forest going to be safe?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

And so Metalhead reveals that no problem can't be solved by shooting it enough times. The Cap'n falls over, dead, something like eight bullet holes in his body.

Scales roars in anger and charges the mechanical life form, aiming to wrestle him down. Scales is very strong; unnaturally so, though not standard superhero level. He'll kick and try to bite Metalhead too, though his teeth and feet might not do much damage.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Conference Z - Field Facility]

Uh-oh!

That wasn't intended!

Well, the shooting had been expected but that broken canister looked really bad. Whatever those goblin-mages were doing, it was probably going to get worse now.
    The bear which been forced back by the unexpectedly powerful rifle fire decides to ditch the plan of attempting to take them down, the initial assault had failed to take down any of the guards so now she was getting kinda overwhelmed. Instead, she was going to have to save the sorry asses of those goblin mages before this got any worse.
    The bear goes straight for the broken container and growls at it.

Amazingly, this growl is more in the style of a dovakhiin's shout as a sudden wall of breath will work to force the mist and vapors away, out of the building through the hole she made.

Hopefully that would save the mages...
    While the magical shout successfully manages to minimize the spread of whatever horrific gas was previously stored within the canister, close proximity to the vile crimson fog risks exposure to the artificial disease which it carries. As the disease was designed to be as volatile and highly contagious, it's quite likely that a bit of the contagion is breathed in or otherwise enters Anika.

The armed guards, made uncomfortably by how the crimson mist was spreading, step away, but continue to fire their automatic weapons towards the intruder.

--

Unfortunately, many more shots pierce the metallic canister, some of which, unfortunately, also strike a second canister just nearby, one filled with a much more explosive gas. The instant that this mysterious substance is exposed to the air, there's an unsettling noise before a terrible fireball forms.

Bright yellow flames burst forth from the canister, mixing with other materials throughout the tent and forming a frightening mushroom cloud of flame and force.

--

The blast which follows decimates most of the tent, launching guards and researchers, many of which now rush about on fire, and fully bursting each of the canisters hidden within the folds of the research tent.

[Irradiated Wasteland- Sanctum of Dust, Elf]

Softly, Malkeizathek responds, turning away as he does so.

Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2018-11-23 at 08:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

RedWizardGuy

Forlorn cave

Metalhead loses his balance, dropping his gun and falling over. All the biting does is tear up his mask. He tries to get the man off by smashing his head against his, it's made out of titanium, but that might not do well depending on the toughness of the cultist's skin.
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

The cultist's skin is made of crocodile-like scales. Tough, but not bulletproof, and certainly not hard enough to soften a blow from a titanium head. There's a crunch as teeth and mouth-bones break, and the cultists cries out in pain. After a few headbutts, the cultist is knocked out and lets go, turning from struggling enemy to dead weight (though not literally) with possible brain damage in a moment.

The Cap'n, however, remains dead, and doesn't move.

Irradiated Wasteland- Sanctum of Dust, Elf

Elimnae nods her acceptance, and turns to leave. She'll hide her hand, because she doesn't want to be easily recognised. But she's off to kill forty people.

25. - Top - End - #235

RedWizardGuy

Forlorn Cave

Metalhead pushes the man off him, and pulls out one of the pistols he grabbed earlier. Pointing it at any remaining cultists as he tries to grab his own gun.
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    Spongy Campsite

The Ewe Sisters seem to get the idea and slink off to build their "tent". They find tent poles and supplies out of nowhere, but such are the whims of fate itself it seems. Dustin only heads into his and Rea's tent after he finishes cooking up more than enough food for the three sisters. "Don't take them so seriously, Rea. Sure, they might have serious roles to play and goad me, but I imagine they tend to be bored and lonely when they aren't around me. I don't mind them much anymore. They only really speak because they've known me...goin' on ten years now. Knew my family for longer. It's jus' the sorta thing that sticks to my family I suppose." He admits, nodding towards the small cedar box with a blank red wax seal along the edge.
    Spongy Campsite

Rea quirks her lips at the sight of the heavy wellspring of omen that's dragging down the mood around the camp, "They could have at least done you the courtesy of taking the box out of your tent. It's a very unsubtle reminder." Then she begins, without any consideration for his presence, to undress. By the overly casual, limber way she moves one adept at reading subtext might think she's decided to stake her claim here and now, now that she's been made aware of what is at least nominally her competition.

"You know, it's more difficult than bringing things here, but if we built up enough speed I might be able to use my power to cast the thing into deep space for you. Your truck might not be enough, but perhaps if we rented a plane? Something able to escape earth's gravity through speed, if only enough to maintain equilibrium." She jokes, sounding half serious but resigned to the negative answer she knows she'll receive. Rea seems far more tired than she was only moments ago before she'd made the tent, her eyelids drooping and shoulders slumping.

If Dustin can focus his own eyes that high on her unclad body.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Bugbear in the Playground

Curse it all, stop shooting at your own goblin-conjury! Didn't they know how explosive that was?! The last goblin artifact she had used had created a evil doppleganger of her and that had taken months to deal with!

Apparently not as the crimson gas (second most evil color only to fel-green) suddenly made an appearance.
    Saber****, this was exactly what she expected out of g-magic and didn't want to stay here for a second longer, the fact they were shooting her only encouraging that decision.

The bear will charge towards one of the panicked goblin-mages and attempt to grab their clothes by her powerful jaws as she charges through the wall of the tent again. This could prove fatal to them, but at this point everything was. If she got at least one of them out of here she'd save one life, even if it was a life of a practicer of goblin-warlockery, and maybe she'd be able to ask what had happened here. if she accidentally killed them it would still be a better death than whatever that crimson stuff would do to them judging by their horrified reactions and the monsters wandering about.

Of nothing stops her and she does manage to grab one of the goblin mages, she will continue outside as far away from the tent as she can possibly get under such a short amount of time. Then she gently drops them on the ground and assumes her humanoid form. Once this is done she first casts a healing spell on the poor mage, then she casts natures cure on herself and then the mage, hoping to remove whatever she breath in.

Hopefully she would be in time....

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Several smaller explosions follow within the tent as more canisters are burst open and exposed to fire or falling beams, resulting in the widening of the ominous crimson cloud of flames and toxic fumes. The few researchers not killed in the blast and still capable of fleeing attempt to do so, while others, crippled or near-death, merely chew down upon the small pill hidden in each of their rightmost molars.

One of these wounded researchers, however, is captured by Anika just as she reaches into her mouth to the retrieve the pill, failing, ultimately, to dislodge it as she's taken.

--

Fearing the worst, she screams the entire way, until set upon the ground and healed, quite out of breath, with a leg still burnt and mangled.

"Don't... c-come closer, I'm warning you..."

29. - Top - End - #239
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, the healing magic can only do so much. I can mend the g-mage's most life-threatening injuries but it can't mend her mangled leg. Not in such a short amount of time at least. The green-glowing lines of the healing magic that swirls around the g-magic might be somewhat concerning, even if they are mending her.

"Don't waste your energy, I'm trying to save you, okay?" Things had not worked out as planned, not at all. That is, if there had been much of a plan to screw up in the first place...

"We need to get out of here and..." Oh Elune's tits, she just remembered all the gnomes, or halflings, whatever they called themselves. Anika turns back to look how that cloud was spreading, it would be contained in the valley, right? She had to make sure Anulhi and her village was safe as well.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

No more cultists in this chamber, just Metalhead with his ripped face-mask and the marshwiggle dangling by her wrists above the pit at the base of the statue. And the whispering emitted by the pit, which seems louder now, though still isn't quite comprehensible- too many voices all talking at once.

"I don't know who you are or why you're here, but please, get me down! There's... There's something below me, and it's scary. Please. I... I've got a farm, I'll lead you there, give you some cheese and eggs! I don't have much more than that, honestly." The marshwiggle is really scared, and it carries through in her voice.

Banite Refugee Camp

An elf with a tattooed face is wandering the campsite of tents and crude huts, blending in with the other refugees who had fled Riverside during the recent invasion and whose homes were still too badly damaged for their return. She's young, though hard to age as many elves are, with deep green skin and long, orange-gold hair. The tattoo on the left side of her face and down her neck is of creeping vines, with spiky leaves and harsh thorns, curling up her throat, spiralling on her cheek and wrapping around her eye. She's wearing a simple green gown and leather walking-boots, caked with dust and mud. She has a rucksack slung over her back, which occasionally rattles as though it contains chains or something. At her waist is a hand-crossbow and a short sabre, as well as an athame. She wears a pair of gloves and her left arm is heavily wrapped up. She's headed for the central tent, from which flies a black flag emblazoned with an iron gauntlet squeezing out green rays from its hand.