New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 47: [Insert seasonal phrase that will be outdated when this thread ends]

[Wizards' Tower]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    Poor Sylvess. Such a disgrace. Everyone is mean to him for being a wimp.

"T-tea would be nice, yes. I-I'm sorry, it was rude of me to shout for him like that at the door. I need to, um, remember that other people live here." Sylvess lowers his head apologetically. Really not appropriate behaviour for a dragon! Not at all! "I- yes, Spako, is he alright? I was, um, otherwise detained when we'd arranged to meet up next."
    Cleo steps into the kitchen to pour Sylvess a cup of tea, and also to dispatch the butler to let Spako know about his guest. Who knows how long that will take...

"You should try ringing the bell. Or knocking at the door."

When she comes back with the tea, she tries to reach out a hand under his chin and lift his head up. Pull yourself together, Sylvess.

"He's fine. Maybe tired? He got back from a VIGIL mission in Riverside not too long ago."

[Tauron's Workshop]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Tauron seem to consider for a moment. "How to explain... call it your 'theme'. Your favorite colors, how you like to serve your community, what you like to be like, what you want to look like. Answer as many of these queries as you like and any others you might be able to think of. All answers will make my job easier and any unanswered question will let me fill in the void." He pauses again. "Would you like to have a voice? And if so, what would you like to sound like?"
    Fay thinks for a moment, and starts writing and writing.
    In summary:
    Their favorite color is orange. Then purple and black.
    They like humanoid food even though they barely have to eat.
    The like order, organization, keeping things tidy.
    They want to be unique, valuable, irreplaceable. They shouldn't want this. It is a heretical thing to want.
    Their type of angel serves the community in many different ways but of the jobs given to them, they particularly like exploring new places and dealing with potential new recruits. The jobs they're less interested in (but would still be called on to perform) include sneaking and spying, leading small numbers of troops, high-value resource gathering.

They need a voice, a strong long-carrying voice, but feminine still. And lips to speak with. The fangs are fine, nice even, but not what is needed.
    They want to look distinctive, noticeable.
    They'll need some sort of natural weaponry.
    There's relatively detailed diagrams of how their legs would ideally be to make them better at sprinting and jumping, what their face has never looked like but would if they got to pick...
    They love the long elegant antennae they already have. In Fay's opinion, they have the best antennae of all the angels, even the queen!
    Surely they couldn't have wings. Could they? That would be great if they could somehow.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Outside 47: [Insert seasonal phrase that will be outdated when this thread ends]

Forlorn Cave

Metalhead removes the mask from his face, grabs and holsters his gun, and rushes to the Marshwiggle. He fumbles with her chains a little before taking out his gun and shooting the chains.
    "Are there any other prisoners here?" he asks while he peers into the pit.
    Spoiler: Moskra Rhadan
    Show

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1638...ew?usp=sharing

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Spoiler: Bad Guys Win Campaign Links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

I'm going to assume Metalhead reaches out, grabs her close and holds her tight before shooting the chains, as otherwise she's dropping into the pit of unknown depth to meet whatever dwells within first-hand.

"Yes, there's my father and our livestock, and they've got three travelling merchants I recognise- a feathered lizard-lady and her bodyguards. That's all I know of, but there's doors down here I haven't seen through so there could be more. Thank you, thank you." As she's released and feels solid ground under her feet she rubs her wrists and shoulders; that suspension was quite uncomfortable.

Nothing is visible down the pit. No matter what sensor or vision mode he uses, Metalhead will see nothing after about a metre. If he's got face recognition software, though, it recognises a face hidden in the darkness- one Metalhead himself can't see. And if he uses radar or sonar, the returning ping never returns, not even from the part of the pit he can see. This close, though, the whispering is loudest, and the many disparate voices are agreeing and saying the same things- 'kill her', 'give her body to us', 'we need her blood' and similar things... Though the marshwiggle herself doesn't seem to hear the voices, or maybe she's just really good at ignoring them considering she's been hanging there for a while with nothing better to do than get used to what they want to be done to her.

Does Metalhead have a magic detector or method of picking up magical effects, items and phenomena? Because that would be very useful right now and maybe even detect something his scientific instruments cannot.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

4. - Top - End - #244

RedWizardGuy

Forlorn Cave

((Yes, Metalhead does that.))

Metalhead has a built in magic detector, but it doesn't do much besides tell him if something is magical or not. Metalhead does a quick search of the area and the crew's pockets. He then turns to her and hands her a pirate gun, "All the pirates I ran into are either dead or restrained so if you want to head home by yourself, be my guest. If you want me to accompany you, I need to find the prisoners first."
    Show

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

The pit is magical, and so are all four of the Cap'n's cutlasses. As are a few other items in his possession, actually. The cutlasses have runes in a spiky, harsh demonic script engraved on the blades; looking at the writing for too long is likely to hurt... Even if Metalhead has no pain receptors; Demonic is like that. His other magic items are a skull-shaped black jet medallion on a gold chain, an old-fashioned compass in an ornate mahogany case and a silver ring set with a small ruby.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    Dragon Mountain

Marshall unholsters and then swings his spear-like implement around in a circle at his feet, ink leaking out of the tip and neatly arranging itself into a geometrically patterned circle on the ground below him. I hold my will against yours, creature. Be thrice bound, by earth, by chain, and by word. At his sentence the chains around his torso begin to stir as magic coalesces in the circle. Three chains fly forward toward the creature, attempting to seize it around the arms and neck and wrench it to the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Dragon Mountain]

Damon hisses in alarm and darts back a step, redoubling the coating of flames around him to avoid getting caught by Cass's ice as well. He'd like to not be frozen in place, thank you! But hey, it seems to have worked on the beastie as well. "Sstop wassting your time!" He shouts out to Marshall, "We're trying to kill thiss thing, not bind it!" With it safely held by the ice, that does make it a bit of an easy target. Damon raises a hand and lets out a continuous stream of black fire at the creature's back.
    [Dragon Mountain]

Cass, caught between two options, chooses to continue to support without committing to either path. Ground successfully frozen, she pulls her hands apart, creating a growing swirl of brisk wind that blows the fog outwards, creating a sphere of clear air around the party and the battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

7. - Top - End - #247

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Forlorn Cave

The pit is magical, and so are all four of the Cap'n's cutlasses. As are a few other items in his possession, actually. The cutlasses have runes in a spiky, harsh demonic script engraved on the blades; looking at the writing for too long is likely to hurt... Even if Metalhead has no pain receptors; Demonic is like that. His other magic items are a skull-shaped black jet medallion on a gold chain, an old-fashioned compass in an ornate mahogany case and a silver ring set with a small ruby.
    Metalhead snaps his fingers, which summons his magical coat back to him. He switches it out for his robes, pockets the compass, medallion, and the case and stuffs a sword into his belt. He turns to the marshwiggle and says "Well?"
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

"Oh, sorry! I was getting a knife. Even if they're all dead or tied up, I still want to defend myself just in case. I'll show you where Dad is, and... And someone'll have to tell him what happened to Mum." Since her brother who hired MERC said he had two parents, plus his sister. Here's his sister, his Dad's near by, but his Mum is not here... Unless she's down the pit.

9. - Top - End - #249

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Forlorn Cave

"Oh, sorry! I was getting a knife. Even if they're all dead or tied up, I still want to defend myself just in case. I'll show you where Dad is, and... And someone'll have to tell him what happened to Mum." Since her brother who hired MERC said he had two parents, plus his sister. Here's his sister, his Dad's near by, but his Mum is not here... Unless she's down the pit.
    "I see..." says Metalhead. "Stay here, I want to check out that pit." He takes out a rope, ties it to something, tosses it down, and slowly climbs down the rope into the pit.
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave

The rope is thrown into the pit! The only thing to tie it to is either the chains above the pit, which are certainly sturdy enough to support Metalhead's weight, or the statue, which is bulky and heavy but not actually affixed to anything and therefore capable of movement.

As he descends into the pit, his sensors will relay no new information, and there's no sign of the bottom. The whispering grows louder as he starts to climb in, only to abruptly vanish when he's about three metres down. The pit descends much deeper than that, much, much deeper. There's a risk that Metalhead will reach the end of his rope before he hits the bottom, or gives up and returns to the surface. But there is, in fact, a bottom.

Spoiler: The Bottom of the Pit
    Show
    Metalhead's feet hit the floor, a thick layer of bones and gore and his sensors start working again. Well, most of them. They suggest he's passed into another world, one which probably isn't very pleasant. The walls are lined with faces; human, elven, dwarfen, goblin, orcish, gnome... and one female marshwiggle, the equivalent of mid forties. All the faces are looking at Metalhead with empty eye-holes, and they whisper. 'You should not have come here' 'the yew has picked the next to die' 'go while you still have time' 'the flying city is bound in chains of greed and fear', 'flee before your face joins us in the walls', 'the flame at the end will soon be lit, all life shall perish' an endless cacophony of mad warnings and terrified prophecy. There's an archway leading away, made from bones twisted and fused together and barred by a gate of black iron burning with a sickly green flame; the fires seem to writhe and dance like tortured souls, faces appearing in the flames for too long to be chance. The gate is locked, but a solid brass key a metre long lies on the floor, wrapped in mummified flesh.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

[The Old Forest]

"I don't know how he managed to come back from his exile," the Old Man Forest admits. "Nor can I know what he plans now. I've felt his scent in the air. It's different now, He's grown from the mayhem in the city on the river and there's a smell of embers about him. He must have been making pacts for the gift of fire."

[Dragon Mountain]

Marshall's spell starts binding the foglet... unfortunately, that leaves it wide open for Damon. It shrieks as the fire consumes it. With a mighty roar, the dwarven spear-wielder breaks the ice and runs his spear clean through the fey.

"Who the hell are you people?" yells the dwarf with a bow, trying to get loose of the ice herself.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Halfling in the Playground

[Wizards Tower]

If she wants Sylvess to pull himself together, Cleo might want to try something a little more encouraging than criticising his manner of entry, as he somehow manages to look even more ashamed of himself than before.

He takes the tea and clutches it, sitting down on his back legs and awkwardly sipping at it.

Wait for it.

Waaaait for it.

Did you hear a penny drop just now?

"W-w-wait, Riverside?! What was he doing in Riverside? I-is he alright? I- um." Flustered, shaky, worried Sylvess. Definitely just spilled half the tea on the floor. "S-sorry."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

13. - Top - End - #253

RedWizardGuy

Forlorn Cave

Metalhead's rope is pretty long, and his patience is even longer. He continues down to the bottom of the pit.

After the heads finish, he scoffs. He's faced worse than this! (of course that was before his timesphere broke, stripping him of very valuable resources) He picks up the key and shouts "Is there anyone alive down here." If he gets a response, he goes in that direction. If he doesn't, he pulls out his gun and heads toward the gate and unlocks it.
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

Forlorn Cave- Angrizz' Torment

There is no answer to Metalhead's shout, just the continuing whispers of the dead faces sewn to the walls. There is, however, only two directions to go- back up the rope, and through the gate... if the key fits.

As it happens, the key does fit, and when the gate is unlocked the hellfire dancing on the iron bars of the gate disappear, snuffed in an instant. The metal isn't even hot (although hellfire doesn't necessarily burn). Beyond, if he looks behind him Metalhead will see he's just walked out of a crypt made from bone, warped and twisted and shaped into a domed building with a spiked roof. The geometry needed for his recent climb is not visible; the pit only exists at each end, and in the pit itself.

The crypt stands in the centre of a desolate graveyard in the centre of a swamp. Weird plants grow in the mud, looking unnervingly like humanoid faces, or fingers, or bones. One of the most common plants is a little flower with razor-sharp leaves and an eye surrounded by petals. There's a fence around the graveyard, made of bone spikes two metres tall linked by chains of black iron. The sky above is blood red, and giant bones drift like clouds across the sky. 'Sunlight' comes from a gigantic skull with light pouring from its three eye sockets, though not so bright that Metalhead can't look at it. He's standing on a path made of vertebrae set into the muddy earth, leading up to another gate in the wall, one looking the same as the one to the crypt Metalhead left by. The path merges with three others, leading to another three crypts- one carved into a huge skull with a gate between its jaws, one made from black iron slabs flickering with green hellfire, with a gate of bone, and one made from marble the colour of this realm's sky.

15. - Top - End - #255

RedWizardGuy

Forlorn Cave- Angrizz' Torment

Metalhead goes to the crypt that looks like a big skull, scanning the area with his magic sensors.
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

Angrizz' Torment

Yes, there's magic around. Lots of it- this realm is a prison-plane, so there's a lot of spells preventing unauthorised access layered across the world. Everything he sees has been shaped with magic- the plants, the landscaping, the materials, even the sky.

The crypt is locked, and the key he took from the pit-crypt doesn't fit this lock. If he checks, it won't fit the other locks, either... Except the lock on the gate to the cemetery, it will fit that.

17. - Top - End - #257

RedWizardGuy

Angrizz' Torment

Metalhead shrugs and heads through the gate, gun, as always, at the ready.
    Last edited by Leostales; 2018-11-24 at 09:01 PM.
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

Angrizz' Torment

Beyond the gate, the path of oversized vertebrae continues up a hill, through a forest made up of gigantic femurs and other bones, mixed with trees with trunks resembling a stacked spine and topped with slender finger-like branches with no leaves and others that look like arms sticking up from the ground, ending in hands with too many fingers, or too few, or no fingers and a lot of thumbs, and usually oddly proportioned. There's no animals, though, nothing moving through the trees... Except some of the fingers occasionally twitching, or one of the flowers turning to watch Metalhead's passage.
    At the top of the hill is a cottage. The cottage looks pretty normal, save for the fact the 'logs' making up its walls and roof are massive bones. The door is a slab of black iron, and the windows are barred with more of the same. Beyond the cottage... Well, it's a cliff. A steep cliff, straight down- or near enough. There's the occasional bone sticking from it, but otherwise it seems to go on forever; there's no bottom, but the blood-red sky loops down so the horizon, if one is standing on the cliff and looking out, is below them.

19. - Top - End - #259

RedWizardGuy

Angrizz' Torment

"These pirates were in some deep $#!&," Metalhead observes. He tries to open the door to the cottage, trying the keys if it is locked.
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Yellow Sands Waste

Kothar moves quietly toward the maddened dragon, softly intoning a prayer as he does so. "Lady Tlacua, by your will, bring purity and strength of mind and body. Heal these foul woes, and by your power, may this dark curse be unwound!" He extends his hands and holy power flows through him toward the dragon, attempting to purge all enchantments from her.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #261
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [The Old Forest]

"I don't know how he managed to come back from his exile," the Old Man Forest admits. "Nor can I know what he plans now. I've felt his scent in the air. It's different now, He's grown from the mayhem in the city on the river and there's a smell of embers about him. He must have been making pacts for the gift of fire."
    [The Old Forest]

Adir's grimace deepens. "Anything that feeds off of what happened in Riverside can't be good." The stag peers at the Old Man. He shifts his weight from hip to hip, one hand on the strap of his pack. "There must be a reason you thought to warn me. Even if you don't know his plans, maybe you can guess?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #262

[Yellow Sands Waste]

Divine power pours around the dragon, rippling along her scales, filling the room with holy light and a soothing breeze.

The kobolds stand tense, breath held in anticipation.

And then?

"Ha."

"Ha ha ha ha..."

"Huh huh huh," the wyrm laughs, bearing cracked, yellowed teeth. "You have no power here, Kothar champion of Tlacua," the dragon sneers.

That voice... doesn't sound female at all. Not even a female dragon.

It sounds masculine, deep, like the roar of a blast furnace.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Yellow Sands Waste

If Kothar replied, he would have begged to differ. His prayer clearly had effect, but the monster resisted it. However, this is not the time for words.

It is the time for action!
    Kothar rushes the dragon, a harsh light erupting from the blade of his axe as he swings upwards. If the blow connects, holy light will leap from the weapon to the dragon and target its eyes, aiming to blind it.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #264

Dragon Mountain

Marshall sighs as Damon burn away the creature. It's fine. We haven't established strategy with each other.

I'm Marshall, Marshall Girard. He says, offering a short little bow to the dwarves. And you?
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

Angrizz' Torment

The cabin's door is unlocked, and leads into a new area. A single massive palatial throne room, with gold tiled flooring and white marble walls. At the far end there is a huge throne of solid silver, in which sits Angrizz. At least, it looks like his statue did- an obese, froglike thing, easily four metres tall, with four arms and eight eyes positioned so he's looking in all directions at once. There's no nose between the band of eyes and its too-wide mouth. Angrizz' skin is thick, warty and blotchy, ranging from yellow to brown to a sickly yellow-green, his eyes are cat-like and golden and his teeth are sharp, white and healthy-looking. Angrizz is not alone; there's five humanoids present as well, ones in distress. There's two massive doors leading away, black iron slabs flickering with green flame.

The five humanoids are a male half-orc suspended from a wall by his ankles, a pair of elves, one male and one female, struggling to breathe as they're pressed into the floor by Angrizz' massive feet, a male human screaming in a spiked cage suspended from the ceiling as Angrizz carelessly thwacks it and sends the cage spinning, the poor occupant being thrown into the spikes every time it moves, and a female hobgoblin sat on the arm of the chair, who is picked up and thrown at Metalhead as he enters the chamber. "You! How did you enter this place? Nobody enters or leaves without my leave. Tell me how you sneaked through my defences and I shall be merciful. Lie, or try to deceive me, and my wrath shall be prolonged. I know how to teach a golem pain." The demon's lying; he's imprisoned here, and can't leave- that's why he wants to know how Metalhead entered. The last sentence, however, is true.

26. - Top - End - #266

RedWizardGuy

Angrizz' Torment

Metalhead explains "There were a bunch of pirate cultists who had a portal to this realm. They kidnapped some people and I was hired to find them. I'm currently looking for a female marshwiggle, you seen her?"
    Last edited by Leostales; 2018-11-25 at 03:53 PM.
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

Angrizz' Torment

"No, I have not. If she is down here, she was thrown down a sacrificial pit. If she was, she died and has joined the Chanters. You came down there, too. With a rope. Give me the key, and I'll give you my slaves. These five, and the other six awaiting my boredom." Giving him the key would let him into the bottom of the pit. If he can get into the bottom of the pit, he might be able to escape.

Metalhead might remember a marshwiggle face in the wall of the crypt; the only one, a female marshwiggle in her forties.

28. - Top - End - #268

RedWizardGuy

Angrizz' Torment

"Hmm," says Metalhead. "What guarantee do I have that you won't kill me once I give you the key?"
    Last edited by Leostales; 2018-11-25 at 03:52 PM.
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

Angrizz' Torment

"You're a golem. You aren't alive, and can't feel pain. Killing you would be no sport. Alive... Or what passes for it, at least, you may prove future diversion." Metalhead's not a golem, but Angrizz can't tell the difference between the two. And whilst he can force a golem to feel pain, it's tricky and not often worth the effort. Particularly since they're unfamiliar with the sensation and don't respond properly.

30. - Top - End - #270

RedWizardGuy

Angrizz' Torment

"Honestly, I'll just pass," Metalhead takes his gun out and burst fires constantly at Angrizz, pulling out the captain's blade and preparing to stab Angrizz with it if the gun doesn't work.
    Show

Show