New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: VVVVVigil: Valorous Veterans Vanquishing Venal Vermin

[Outside the Base]

Calm Reed takes a deep breath and approaches St. Laz.

"Are you alright?" she asks.

[Training Grounds]

"Hello, saint Lazarus," Calm Reed says, turning around and resting her massive club on her shoulder. "Prefer to practice in your armor?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Commanders' Village]

The elemental does not look back at Ithuriel, but Cessie nods. "If it makes you feel comfortable, I'll make it go away. Though it does not actually have any semblance of sentience. It's more of a extension of my mind, like a new leg or hand. Moving it around is about as taxing as moving myself around, my body convinced that I'm doing the moving." She pauses. "Which I suppose only raises further questions, so let's focus on why you're here instead shall we?" The sorceress gestures with the staff towards the angel. "I'll be frank when I say that I don't know how the staff works as it's no creation of mine, but it does translate magic to me as feelings and flashes of memory. It sounds vague but it conveys enough of it for me to make an educated guess." With a sudden shake of the staff, the elemental materializes, it's magma simply eaten away until nothing remains.

Then she gestures at the wound, by channeling eldritch through the staff, she activates it, it's magic being projected at the wound. Cessie is specifically trying to dampen whatever residue that might linger in the wound first as to avoid some spectacular reaction to coming in contact with alien magic. Trying to contain whatever energies that lie dormant there.
    [Commanders' Village]

Ithuriel nods as she listens to Cessie's explanation, trying to take it in...but it's all a bit hard to make sense of really, isn't it?

She flinches slightly as Cessie starts channeling through the staff, but that might just be an instinctive flinch as she's really not sure what to expect. Visibly, it doesn't look like there's any particular pain to it.

As Cessie works, the colouration around the wound seems to fade slightly, but that's all for now.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Orc in the Playground

Vigil Tour

"I don't know. It seems unwilling to do so when it's observed; it just turns up places it shouldn't have been able to get into if it obeyed all the normal rules of reality." Look at Makuro, getting upset at things not obeying all the normal rules of reality! And how many humans have your unusual colouring, Makuro? How many can crawl up a wall and across the ceiling? How many can punch as hard as you can and heal the knuckles injured by said punch in seconds?

...Wait, Makuro's basically spiderman. How did I not notice that sooner?

Anyway, they're arriving at the terrace where Makuro lives! It's one house amongst many in a row, two storeys tall. Makuro will unlock the door and let Lapis in, revealing a short hallway with stairs to the first floor and a door into the living area. It's rather bland at the moment as Makuro's joined recently and didn't have much to unpack.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

4. - Top - End - #454
    Bugbear in the Playground

Firing Range

Anika takes the gun and experimentally presses the button, which immediately releases the magazine. "Huh, though it be louder, and larger. It's so small. Like one of those magic rods, except less glow-y." She pulls out the magazine and peers closely at it. "So this is where the magic happens, eh? What are these made of?" She pokes at the bullets and to her credit, she does have it aimed downwards. "Maybe you should just show me how you put all this together. A mage tried to explain a wand to me before but it was all bogus to me. Like unicorn ball hair and moonkin spit, or whatever she was talking about. This is all metal-y. Like a sword."
    Blanche keeps a keen eye on the elf's handling of the weapon, and while it is a little more cavalier for her liking, it's not enough to trigger any concern or response. So instead of correcting any of that, she tackles the question raised instead. "Well, it varies, but a bullet is made up of a few specific components. Only part of that is the actual projectile, the rounded piece at the end. The rest houses an explosive powder that creates the thrust needed to fire the bullet at a high speed, and the primer, which activates the powder when a mechanism in the gun hits the back of the cartridge." She pauses for a brief second, trying to think of how best to simplify it. "The mechanics that make it all happen is fairly complicated, but when you get right down to it, a gun is really just using a tube to contain and direct a small explosion so that all the force of that explosion sends a tiny piece of metal hurtling out the other end." Explosions are something Anika likes, right?
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

5. - Top - End - #455

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Geneva's Lab]

Geneva pauses briefly at Karl's request.

"Assistant? Summoner? Oh Princesses above, you really ARE new aren't you?" she replies, her ears dropping ever so slightly as she offers her kindest smile.

It's one of those 'you poor dear' sorts of smiles.

"Here, hold this," she continues without missing a beat, holding out a small rod that looks almost like... well... clouds compressed until they becomes a solid. Should Karl take it, it will feel slightly cool to the touch. Ribbons of liquid color flow around one end. "I'm Geneva Richards, one of VIGIL's chief engineers. As you've probably be informed, I'm the 'portal person' to talk to. The Bifrost project is an ongoing mission of mine."

She looks back down at the device she's holding and hums again.

"How long ago did you manifest here in the Nexus? Do you think you would be able to lead me to the exact location?" she asks.

Her mannerisms are odd, to say the least. Is she a bird? A cat? A human? A horse? The answer is apparently 'yes'.
    [Geneva's Lab]

Karl takes the rod, but holds the ribboned end as far away as possible.

"Well. I think it was a place named Trog's if you know that one." he replies. "I wnt through a door in my world, one for a new tavern. I can't remember much more after that, but people said I rolled in. So no manifestation out of nowhere I guess." Karl doesn't seem sure what she wants to hear.
    "Is this biforst... bifrest... whatever thing a portal?"

Karl got no problems with her appereance. He got Carbuncle as a summon which is also rather hard to explain taking normal animals as reference
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

6. - Top - End - #456
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Geneva's Lab]

After a few moments Geneva takes the rod back, fiddles with it then sets it on her desk.

"Trog's? That isn't surprising. Seventy two percent of new arrivals show up there. There are several really fascinating models explaining that behavior but that's tangential to the problem at hand," she says as she begins gathering tools from her desk and stowing them away... umm... somewhere.

They just sort of de-materialize.

She shrugs off her lab coat and hangs it on a coat rack in one corner. Underneath is all fur and feathers of greys and blacks. Save for a deep violet marking on her haunches. A hurricane symbol surrounded by five little cartoony white clouds. She pulls a flight jacket and a pair of goggles off the rack and dons them.

"We'll want to hurry. I'll need some readings on the bridge you crossed through to get a solid idea of where you came from. Trog's is a hub, so any information I can get from there will be fouled quickly by other new arrivals," she says as she trots out the door, motioning with the feather-fan at the end of her tail for Karl to follow.

Looks like she's heading outside!

"In common parlance Bifrost is a portal, yes. Or it will be once I have it up and running. The Bifrost project's goal is to have an easy means of creating temporary bridges to any universe that has contacted the Nexus at will."

Geneva will wave to a few of the guards and adventurers as she approaches the edge of the floating island, giving her wings a stretch every few steps. She already did her exercises this morning, but better safe than sorry! Don't want to cramp mid-flight. Once at the lip of the island she snaps her flight goggles over her eyes and glances back at Karl.

"Alright, I don't carry people often but this is the quickest way to get us both to Trog's. Climb on and please don't yank on my ears."

[VIGIL Tour]

She just needs a cool costume, snappy combat dialog, and some web shooters. She'll be set!

Lapis trots inside, examining and smelling various objects.

"Do you think I'm going to get a house, too?" she asks.

Or are they going to expect her to sleep in a tree or something?

She really has no idea.

"Maybe the bird only has special powers when no one is observing it?"
    Lapis ventures. "Some things act differently when they're observed."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Orc in the Playground

Vigil Tour

"I don't know. Ask Wenomir when you see him next." Makuro's stooped over quite a bit, since she's nearly as tall as the ceiling. That's one problem Spiderman doesn't have, though Makuro couldn't keep her secret identity hidden.

"I don't know. What kind of things behave differently when they aren't watched?" She's not too knowledgeable about science, it seems. At least, not the advanced stuff of subatomic particles and what have you.

8. - Top - End - #458

Firing Range

"Yeah, as I said, magic." That's certainly one way to simply it. "I mean, I don't get why my magic works either. I get the logic behind it, but I don't get why it works." Anika puts back magazine where it should be. "But okay, so you just pull the trigger right? Like with a rifle. Point and shoot, dwarven style."

9. - Top - End - #459

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Urgent Business - Commander's Village]

Wenomir looks stunned by Adir's question, then actually laughs quietly.

"There's a lot of people back home who'd love that, but no. Jarowit is, or was, our god of war. But he, like all the other gods, is dead now. Or just gone. The claim that he was a human who became a god after finding the Riddle of Steel would be heresy for his priests, too. It's just... a story. But then, fairies are all about stories, aren't they?"

"That's true. And even if he is dead, might be that he knew more about murdering these things than anybody. We ought to look into some Jarowit scripture," Adir posits, smirking. "Though I guess if I do it, that might be heresy too."

"There was another thing," the stag starts, a little more hesitantly. "I'm pretty sure AMEN has Ilpholin. If they haven't offed her yet... I doubt she's in for a pleasant stay."

"I wanted to see if you would help me rescue her. Or if anyone else around here would be able and willing," Adir says, eyeing the warrior. "I... don't really know how you feel about her, now that I bring it up. I get it if you two weren't exactly friends..."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

10. - Top - End - #460
    Pixie in the Playground

[Karasu VIGIL Application]

Someone appears! She's a chocolate-skinned beauty of 15 going on 16 years, with amber eyes on black sclera. Her black hair has been cut and styled into mohawk, the top of her curly mohawk dyed purple. She's dressed in a modest grey pleated skirt reaching up to her knees, a purple and black top with African print designs on it and palm slippers. She appears to be unarmed.

Karasu gets to Felandria's house and then into VIGIL's Sky Base, approaching anyone that looks important in a bid to join.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir takes a deep breath and sighs through his nose.

"It's complicated. She opposes the demon scum like we do, but... her hatred of them clouds her judgement and eats her from the inside out," he says. "That includes everything else called a 'demon' or anyone willing to deal with them. But she did fight them in Riverside like we did, and that means we can't leave them behind. Especially in the hands of AMEN. Those roaches."

Karasu will be greeted by a dwarf seemingly as wide as he is tall, wearing an enormous horned helmet and with a pair of hammers on is back.

"What's yer business with Vigil?" he asks curtly.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Pixie in the Playground

Karasu steps forward, hands by her sides. Her facial expression is rather stoic, and it's quite clear she's the reserved type."Karasu from Seaside, and I'm here to join up. I have ninja and field medic training." She states matter-of-factly.
    Love is the message.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

The dwarf's face visible between his helmet and prodigious beard look rather uncertain.

"How old are ye, lass? I don't know that much about humans, but you look a bit young to be doin' all that."

14. - Top - End - #464
    Pixie in the Playground

"I'm 15, trained from childhood, and I'm more than just 'human'." Karasu replies. Humans don't have an in-built all-natural nanite system. "Where I'm from we have monsters to hunt and people to beat or even possibly kill, who try to weaponize those monsters. Got a MERC license, done missions for them. I'm good." She stoically states. "My family works for royalty, you have to be trained from birth for that. I cannot reveal more." She's even wordier than usual so the dwarf gets her point.
    Love is the message.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

The dwarf shifts nervously. He doesn't know what to make of all that. Time to push this up the chain of command... which means getting one of the commanders to deal with it.

"I'll, uh... ask Commander Wenomir or Commander Mithar." He scurries off, only to return after a while with Wenomir in tow. The commander towers over both the dwarf and the girl and doesn't look happy. But then, he rarely ever does. Karasu will find herself under calm, but intense scrutiny that misses very little.

"I'm told you want to join us. But I'm also glad to see Bjorn Thunderhorn here is as wary of recruiting a child as I am. You said you were trained... from birth?"

16. - Top - End - #466

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Commanders' Village]

Ithuriel nods as she listens to Cessie's explanation, trying to take it in...but it's all a bit hard to make sense of really, isn't it?

She flinches slightly as Cessie starts channeling through the staff, but that might just be an instinctive flinch as she's really not sure what to expect. Visibly, it doesn't look like there's any particular pain to it.

As Cessie works, the colouration around the wound seems to fade slightly, but that's all for now.
    [Commanders' Village]

Cessie studies it closely, frowning as she sees the change of coloration. The mage was feeling that perhaps it wasn't too wise to try to do this one her own, but her pride wouldn't hear that. She could do this, all that happened was that her wounds color had changed.
    She now attempts to actually identify the wound while keeping whatever magic it had been infected with contained. Hopefully, nothing would go wrong...
    "It's akin to mental exhaustion I suppose. The term we use is focus. When you get tired, you might find it harder to focus on certain things and that's how I'd describe it. Now I've been using eldritch so long that it's quite hard for me to get worn down by routine tasks such as creating that elemental, but this might take more than just that." She explains as she works.

17. - Top - End - #467

[Outside the Base]

Calm Reed takes a deep breath and approaches St. Laz.

"Are you alright?" she asks.
    Jenette looks at her arm. Now that there's no hydra to worry about, she has time to try to move it, to see if any part of it is still functional after that little stunt she pulled at the end of the fight. She'll start by wiggling her fingers, and from there, she'll-

...oh.

The whole hand just sorta...exploded, from the feel of things. Hard to tell for sure, since her hand is still very much hidden inside a dented armored gauntlet, but if Saint Lazarus is right, the contents of that gauntlet are very much like a chunky balloon made of meat right now. Gross. The rest of her arm isn't doing much better, and fractured in too many places for her to so much as lift it up and keep it from limply hanging at her side.

"I'm fine," she answers casually, rolling her good shoulder for emphasis before striding towards her sword, to pick it up with her non-dominant hand and tuck it back in its scabbard. This is easier said than done, of course, but shut up, she can handle it, everything's fine.

"I mean, not totally fine, but nothing that can't be fixed when I get home. I needed to practice doing stuff left-handed anyway." Might have to rely on the squire to do a lot of our usual chores for a little while, though. Oh well, that's what Fidelias are for, right?

[Training Grounds]

"Hello, saint Lazarus," Calm Reed says, turning around and resting her massive club on her shoulder. "Prefer to practice in your armor?"
    "Not everyone's as good friends as you and me are, Calm," Jenette remarks, flexing the fingers of her right hand, trying to get some lingering stiffness out of them. They're always a little fuzzy a few days after a horrible, traumatic injury, but the worst of it has passed by now.

"Until people get used to me hanging around, I can't be sure Wenomir or Adir or whoever isn't going to see some evil necromancer's attack monster wandering around VIGIL, and get all deus vult on me. The armor lets people think I'm people," she points out, letting their own shaky history go unremarked upon, though it's surely not far from either warrior's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

[Outside the Base]

Calm Reed looks like she's not fooled, but chooses to let St. Laz deal with it as she sees fit.

"If you say so. And you should avoid getting close for some time. My Essence is volatile right now. But one way or the other, we've passes the trial, so let's see what Commander Mithar has to say."

[Training Grounds]

"A reasonable enough precaution. I don't know of this Adir, although Commander Wenomir gave me the impression of an impressively stoic man when we spoke." Which was pretty brief. The monk isn't sure what to make of this proudly-proclaimed mortal peasant who fights like a Forsaken Solar Anathema. "Let's hope in time you'll be able to walk here unarmored. I do practice in armor sometimes, but I'm rusty enough with the tetsubo that I decided to forgo it. I usually use Earth Drgon style unarmed, as you've seen."

19. - Top - End - #469
    Pixie in the Playground

The dwarf shifts nervously. He doesn't know what to make of all that. Time to push this up the chain of command... which means getting one of the commanders to deal with it.

"I'll, uh... ask Commander Wenomir or Commander Mithar." He scurries off, only to return after a while with Wenomir in tow. The commander towers over both the dwarf and the girl and doesn't look happy. But then, he rarely ever does. Karasu will find herself under calm, but intense scrutiny that misses very little.

"I'm told you want to join us. But I'm also glad to see Bjorn Thunderhorn here is as wary of recruiting a child as I am. You said you were trained... from birth?"

Facial expression, keeping calm under pressure and a scrutinizing gaze are things Karasu and Wenomir have in common. The younger girl looks up at Wenomir, gaze unwavering, as she replies.

"To rephrase what I told him, right now I'm based in Seaside. Belong to a ninja tribe, hence being trained from childhood. After being orphaned at 5, I got sent to a specialized orphanage to resume my training. In my world, formal ability training starts at 10-11, teenagers like me serve in civil defense, info-gathering and monster hunting roles. Came to the Nexus at 13 and have worked predominantly as a monster hunter and covert agent for MERC."
    She explains all at once, her hands still by her sides. Then a diegetic game-like interface appears before her, and she chooses an item, making a ninjato appear in her hand. "I've been forced to kill few people, as has my brother, mainly the remnants of the group that killed our parents. If I'm to join VIGIL, keep me away from killing people until I'm 18, unless they're slavers. Monsters three times my size? I can do." When she's done, she stands there stoically, listening to Wenomir.
    Love is the message.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir paces slowly around Karasu, watching her impassively. Bjorn seems rather uncomfortable with this situation.

"You're not lying about your skills, I can tell. But you know that's not why I'm hesitant about sending children into battle. Your people might have been fine wit that, but I'm not. If I send you against a monster and you die, I'll have a child's death on my hands."

21. - Top - End - #471

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Geneva's Lab]

After a few moments Geneva takes the rod back, fiddles with it then sets it on her desk.

"Trog's? That isn't surprising. Seventy two percent of new arrivals show up there. There are several really fascinating models explaining that behavior but that's tangential to the problem at hand," she says as she begins gathering tools from her desk and stowing them away... umm... somewhere.

They just sort of de-materialize.

She shrugs off her lab coat and hangs it on a coat rack in one corner. Underneath is all fur and feathers of greys and blacks. Save for a deep violet marking on her haunches. A hurricane symbol surrounded by five little cartoony white clouds. She pulls a flight jacket and a pair of goggles off the rack and dons them.

"We'll want to hurry. I'll need some readings on the bridge you crossed through to get a solid idea of where you came from. Trog's is a hub, so any information I can get from there will be fouled quickly by other new arrivals," she says as she trots out the door, motioning with the feather-fan at the end of her tail for Karl to follow.

Looks like she's heading outside!

"In common parlance Bifrost is a portal, yes. Or it will be once I have it up and running. The Bifrost project's goal is to have an easy means of creating temporary bridges to any universe that has contacted the Nexus at will."

Geneva will wave to a few of the guards and adventurers as she approaches the edge of the floating island, giving her wings a stretch every few steps. She already did her exercises this morning, but better safe than sorry! Don't want to cramp mid-flight. Once at the lip of the island she snaps her flight goggles over her eyes and glances back at Karl.

"Alright, I don't carry people often but this is the quickest way to get us both to Trog's. Climb on and please don't yank on my ears."
    [Geneva's Lab]

Karl seems a bit suprised by the fast way Geneva acts. He follows along outside but get's an uncomfortable feeling as she reaches for the edge.

"Ehh... Maybe you go and I take the stairs or so. Where are they?"

He's obvously not a fan of flying and riding on somethings back isn't more save then tose iron coffins .

22. - Top - End - #472

Firing Range

"Yeah, as I said, magic." That's certainly one way to simply it. "I mean, I don't get why my magic works either. I get the logic behind it, but I don't get why it works." Anika puts back magazine where it should be. "But okay, so you just pull the trigger right? Like with a rifle. Point and shoot, dwarven style."
    "It's not magic, just science." A second's pause occurs. "Though I guess when you think about it, magic is just the science of something completely different." Blanche will leave that train of thought for the scholars to decide, however. For now, she watches Anika continue, expressing slight surprise at that last bit. "I didn't realize you had experience with firearms." She comments.

"But... yes and no. Firearms from my time have a function called a safety, usually a level or button that needs to be toggled to fire. Don't want to accidentally fire your gun pulling it out of the holster, is the idea." Blanche will then step closer to Anika, hand moving to her own and guiding her to take aim at one of the targets downrange. "You see that lever up there, above your thumb?" She indicates it by tapping the control with her own thumb. "You need to press that upwards before the trigger can function." Once complete, she will continue. "Good. Now, you see the brackets at the end of the pistol? That's your iron sights. Line the indicator between them with the center, point it where you want to shoot... and, pull the trigger."
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

23. - Top - End - #473

[Geneva's Lab]

Geneva gives Karl a look.

A very birdish look.

Which makes sense, given Geneval's general level of birdishness.

"There aren't any stairs. The shuttles are the only way to the surface for someone who can't fly," she explains, doing her best to remain patient. "We don't have time for that. The longer we're here, the weaker the echo from the bridge that brought you here gets. If I can't figure out the coordinates of where you came from, then there's no way to get you home."

Oh.

Well.

No wonder she's in such a hurry, then.

[VIGIL Tour]

"I have so many questions and so few answers!" Lapis laments.

That's one of the major issues with only existing for... about an hour thus far.

"Small things! And people, sometimes. I think there are some types of malakim that can do weird stuff but only if no one is watching them."

Like being invisible when no one is looking at you!

A very useful power.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

24. - Top - End - #474

[Geneva's Lab]

Karl sights. He's not amused.

"I can't promise anything." he replies as he tries to climb on Geneva.

He's a bit afraid of hights and will grab wherever he finds a suitable grip.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Orc in the Playground

Vigil Tour

Only if, when invisible, 'nobody is looking at you' is the same as 'nobody can see you'. Otherwise it's fading back into sight when stared at too long.

"I do not know what a malakim is." Makuro's also looking around the house, trying to see if the hoopoe is here. It's not immediately visible in any of the rooms downstairs.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Pixie in the Playground

Wenomir paces slowly around Karasu, watching her impassively. Bjorn seems rather uncomfortable with this situation.

"You're not lying about your skills, I can tell. But you know that's not why I'm hesitant about sending children into battle. Your people might have been fine wit that, but I'm not. If I send you against a monster and you die, I'll have a child's death on my hands."

Karasu stands straight at attention, following Wenomir with her eyes when she can and keeping her eyes straight when she can't, keeping still.

"If. Not to be cocky, but that's a big 'if'. I'm capable of knowing when to leave it to stronger people, it's part of my training. I might be skilled at open battle, but my expertise lies in stealth, and my ability lets me shadow-walk, among other things. All things being equal, they shouldn't see me coming. If you have a spymaster, I could train under him/her, for instance." She replies in a deadpan but respectful voice while she lets herself be appraised. "All due respect, Commander, but this is the Nexus. You can't not have met teens more competent than an adult would expect." She states plainly, and it's true, too!
    Love is the message.

27. - Top - End - #477

Wenomir takes a deep breath and sighs through his nose.

"It's complicated. She opposes the demon scum like we do, but... her hatred of them clouds her judgement and eats her from the inside out," he says. "That includes everything else called a 'demon' or anyone willing to deal with them. But she did fight them in Riverside like we did, and that means we can't leave them behind. Especially in the hands of AMEN. Those roaches."

Adir frowns. "Hell, I guess that's good enough a reason. We need to get there soon, though. Do you know anyone else around here who might feel the same way?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir paces back and forth a little.

"I know Anika has met her, so she'd join us in this. And I can just take some Vigil members with me if I have to. Rescuing someone from AMEN and gutting some of those vermin on our way is what we're supposed to do. But... the last time we stormed AMEN through the front door didn't go well, to put it mildly. And they've got this... thing with them now that seemed completely invulnerable to everything we could throw at it. We need a plan."

Wenomir sighs through his nose.

"I have. That doesn't mean I approve. But I suppose the damage has already been done and we could hope to do a better job than the people who trained you," he says. "The press would just love it, though. 'Vigil employs child soldiers!" would be plastered over every front page. I'm going to need to consider this. And let Cessie give her opinion."

29. - Top - End - #479

Firing Range

"Not much, but a friend of mine let me try her rifle. I liked the punch of it even if I couldn't aim for ****. This one is tiny in comparison. I've seen you in action though, this one is even more deadly. I just wish there was more smoke and powder. It was half the fun, you know?" Anika raises one of her overly long eyebrows at Blanche before starting to following the instructions the catgirl is giving her.
    "Mhmm... I think I got it." She narrows her eyes at the target. "So safety, aiming and... shooting." She pulls the trigger, the gun firing and to her credit she at least hits the broad side of the shooting range.
    She seems to have withstand the recoil but her expression is one of agony rather than triumph as she quickly presses the gun against Blanche to make her take it before she lets go to cover her long ears with her hands. "Euuughh... ****." As Anika is stepping away from her, Blanche might note that Anika is swaying as if disoriented. "Elune's tits, had forgotten the sound." She eyes the catgirls ears, they were even larger than hers! "Doesn't it bother you?!"

[Outside the Base]

Lady Mithar can eventually be seen wandering back towards them with Garn in tow. "I pray you are as tough as you claimed as that went out of hand." She remarks in a worried tone while looking between the two. Her attention drawn to the ghoul knight. "Will that heal? Since otherwise your first order will be to go and see a healer right this instance." Young lady!

30. - Top - End - #480

[Commanders' Village]

As Cessie works, Ithuriel flinches again, withdrawing her arm slightly with a hiss of pain.

And then the wound ripples, the flesh surrounding it rapidly withering as it starts to expand, seemingly responding to Cessie's attempts to contain it by attacking the angel's arm.

"Uh-" Ithuriel looks down at her arm, then back at Cessie with a concerned expression. "That's not good."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.