New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: VVVVVigil: Valorous Veterans Vanquishing Venal Vermin

[VIGIL Tour]

Lapis considers these things.

She considers the bird.

And she considers her friend.

She considers the glass of water.

And she considers the mission her mother gave her.

How can she work all of these things together?

"We need a quest," Lapis concludes. "For lemonade! I don't know what that is but it sounds nice."

How do you know it sounds nice, Lapis, you don't even know what lemons are.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Karasu - VIGIL Skybase ==> Training Grounds]

Wenomir doesn't visibly react to this particular revelation, simply turning around and gesturing Karasu to follow.

"We do have some pretty extensive training grounds here. Made for training all sorts of skills."
    [Training Grounds]

Karasu follows silently, eager to peruse the training grounds.

The Training Grounds
    Taking up an entire half of the basin on one side of the lake, the Training Grounds serve as the main point-of-call for any open-air practice Vigil members should wish to conduct. Separate facilities include a running track; arenas for dueling and swordplay; a shooting and archery range; areas for jousting; and other such facilities for martial pursuits.
    Facilities or no, a training ground is a training ground, and it's clear Karasu likes what she sees. She doesn't waste time finding a training dummy and pulling a few moves on it.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Bugbear in the Playground

Firing Range

Anika does not ask for permission, she simple sits down on the ground while still covering her ears. She eventually seem to relax though and just lay down in the grass. "Then how can you still hear me if you got your ears stuffed? I'd never put that sort of thing in my ears. These muffs are good though, we always used ear-protection as they get cold really easily. My mom couldn't stop nagging about ear-infections..." She shakes her head. "Anyway, what are we doing now? More shooting?"

[Outside the Base]

The sorceress nods. "Yes, but that sort of situation has not come up yet. Magma, which is the eldritch I manifest, has a tendency to cause massive collateral damage. Whenever I summon something, like what you just fought, I hold back the heat. Releasing it would most likely cause it to destroy everything in its path and that applies to nearly everything I do. I could easily have burned down large parts of Riverside during the invasion if I had gone full out for instance. Possibly doing more damage to the city itself than to the invaders." She turns to Calm Reed. "But I'm not anything like the people of your world, Calm Reed. It might seem similar but don't judge a book by its cover, I would argue that few things you know of your world applies to me." She looks between them. "But good job today, you've proven yourself capable. You should go to the barracks and have some downtime. I will make sure they are arranged to your specifications."

[Commanders' Village]

((Need to talk to shrimp about this one...))
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-03-19 at 08:14 AM.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

[Wenomir's House]

Wenomir quickly runs through the list of people he might know and who might have a reason for appearing in a different form than normal. Doesn't seem to... wait. There is one possibility that hurts his chest like an old wound. Is this really the meeting he hoped for and despaired of? Or is he just fooling himself? He's good at that. His hands grip the armrests tightly as he leans forward.

"I... think I know who you mean," he says, trying and failing to sound as detached as before. "But I still want to hear you say who you are and how you know me. Because I really want to know if you saw the way we knew each other... or how I knew this someone... the way I did."
    [Wenomir's House]

Cassandra hesitates, hurt and uncertainty clouding her pale eyes as she sees how much her words have cut Wenomir. Opening wounds that should have been left to close.

"I..." Could you do this, Cass? You don't believe it yourself - how could you expect to convince him of it?

There's a distracted, almost dazed look on her face as she answers.

"It was so cold that night. The woods were dark and deep; a secret darkness - fresh snow filling tracks with stars. And so quiet too. No noise but the sweep of wind and flake of snow; no movement except shadows dancing in vivid blue."

"You remember it, don't you?"
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2019-03-19 at 12:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

[Wenomir's House]

Wenomir hides his face in his hands and sighs. He's gone from anger to hurt to a sort of resignation. It is her. Or... someone who has her memories? But she can't have found out about it in any other way. He never spoke about it to anyone. It was their private moment.

"Yes... I remember." He's silent for a long time, then looks up, fire in his eyes. "But that doesn't really answer my basic question. Why are you here now? If you really weren't... the woman I loved, if you didn't care about those memories at all, you wouldn't be here. But you are, except now I wonder why you didn't come earlier. Or give me any sign of what happened."

[Training Grounds - Elves]

Rain and Anika will see one of the commanders, the more impressive one according to some, in the training grounds. He seems to be training some new Vigil recruits, which in this case means sparring with four of them as they do their best to land a hit. It's not working out well so far. Wenomir ducks, weaves, parries and jumps as they try to hit him with different weapons and spells.

[Outside the Base]

Calm Reed listens to Cessie with a solemn expression. Power that needs reining in... that's something the Dragon-Blooded know well. It's what she teaches as a monk of the Order. She nods and bows respectfully.

"That is true. Unlearning what I know doesn't come easily to a Dragon-Blooded monk of my experience, I'm afraid. But I'll do my best. I don't requrie much in terms of living quarters, either. I've sworn to forsake luxury."
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-03-19 at 08:33 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #516

As she spots Wenomir, Anika points him out. "There, that's Wenomir. One of the commanders. Just look at him go, I can barely keep track of him." She stops by the edge of he training area and puts her hands on her hips. "Impressive, huh?"

7. - Top - End - #517
    Orc in the Playground

Vigil Tour- Makuro's Place

"I do not know where to find lemonade. I do know where I want our next stop to be. The training grounds. I was planning on going there soon anyway, try to find out some of the things I can do now. Are you ready?" If not, they can wait long enough to finish their glasses of water, before Makuro heads off to the...

Vigil Tour- Training Grounds

Makuro arrives here, with possibly Lapis in tow. Makuro's very odd-looking; her appearance would probably cause doubt in her humanity, though she is truly human. She's heavily mutated, with limbs that are too long, gangly arms and legs in comparison to their body length. She has long bright orange hair and dark brown skin, with large eyes. They're clad with a single plain grey shirt and matching trousers, and visible on their lower back is a symbol resembling the Greek letter omega upside down, or possibly an elaborate U or C.

Hair and skin are both natural, and her eyes are black orbs with no differentiation between iris, pupil and sclera. Her proportions are off, too; her torso's sized right for human normal, yet she stands about two and a half metres tall.
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2019-03-19 at 03:43 PM.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

[Wenomir's House]

Cass takes a breath.

"I'm... not her. I'm not the same as she was, so I thought- it would be better to stay away. If I just stayed away... you could move on, and I could just... forget," she says, hands clenched together in her lap. Do not reach out to him. Do not touch him.

And how likely are you to stick to that?

By golly... those... those moves! What grace! What precision! What... abs! You can practically see them through his clothes!

"...oh."

I think her ovaries exploded.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2019-03-19 at 11:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

[Wenomir's House]

Wenomir suddenly rises from his chair, pacing up and down the room in agitation.

"Move on?" he repeats, stopping abruptly. "It's hard when I didn't even know what I'm moving on from. You... she... vanished into thin air and then I found signs she was alive. What was I to think or do?" He takes a deep breath himself. "And then I hired MERC and you found out I wasn't giving up. But..." He walks over to Cass' chair and stands close to it, with his arms folded across his chest. "If you wanted to tell me to give up and stop looking, sneaking into my house in the middle of the night is a really weird way of going about it."
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-03-20 at 01:19 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

10. - Top - End - #520

Anika grins as she glances at Rain, she had predicted this. Then she turns and waves wildly to Wenomir, trying to get his attention. If need be, she could also jump up and down while still waving her arms. "Wenomir! I got someone who wants to meet you!" Clearly that was much more important than training.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir glances back at Anika, expertly weaves his way through some more attacks in a way that seems to have him phase right through them, then raises his hand to stop. The recruits seem to appreciate it and sink to the ground in exhaustion. Wenomir gives them some instruction before heading towards Anika and Rain at a brisk pace. He's wearing a warm, comfortable exercise outfit and holding a practice foam sword.

"Hello, Anika. Who is it with you?"

12. - Top - End - #522

Firing Range

"They're not perfect, I can still hear somewhat." Blanche comments with a smirk. "Heh, really? Sounds like she was a bit of a worrier. Can't really relate though, my mom wasn't around as much." She doesn't let that comment hang for long though; Anika doesn't want to hear about something as depressing as her personal issues and hangups, and it's not exactly a topic she wants to stick on. "But yeah, I was thinking maybe giving you some time to practice, get a feel for it. After that we could try something a little different, like a shotgun or something?"
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

13. - Top - End - #523

[Commanders' Village]

That is not good.

"Hold still. Moving will only make this hurt more." The sorceress remarks without so much as looking up at Ithuriel, the wound had all her attention at the moment. The elemental in the office will even move to help hold the angel still as this happens.

Cessie had been in enough of dangerous situations to know that inaction would result in more harm than action in some cases, regardless how destructive that action might be.
    Thus, without hesitation, she spreads her fingers and searing flames surge into the wound. While she was able to apply the flame at surgical precision at this range, she still had to base this in prov "operation" on sight. Essentially, where she though she could see the substance, she would burn. But she would still be quite liberal in how she applied the flames. Better to have Ithuriel suffer greater burns than some of that substance remaining in her body. In her mind, this was the only way at this point.

Here's to hoping she wouldn't move too much since this will hurt.

Firing Range

"More like a warriorrier, she's like you but with bows and glaives. I still have no idea how she handled those things. I never got the hang of it." Anika shrugs and then gets herself off the ground. She pats the other woman on the shoulder and smiles widely at her. "But hey, don't let mom issues cloud the sun. These shot-guns are like rifles right? Short range, big punch, slow rate of fire."

Anika gestures at the minstrel. "This is Rain, she's a musician! She wants to help to improve VIGIL's reputation by spreading our stories." Well, something like that.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-03-20 at 05:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #524

[VIGIL Training Grounds]

Lapis Lazuli isn't really sure why coming here is so important. Her friend must have had something important she needed to do before finding lemonade.

She bounds along behind Makuro, pausing every now and again to take a bite out of a shrub that's starting to look a little too scruffy.

Apparently she's naturally predisposed to gardening.

The seraph looks... alien. Maybe a deer or a dragon would be the most reasonable thing to compare her to, but those are, perhaps, simply the things which are least dissimilar to her. She has wings, or something like them. Two at her shoulders, two at her hips, and two flanking her head like ears. Things like eyes dot her body, pits of void ringed by stellar white, like the accretion disk of a dead star. She's covered in something akin to scales, deep indigo plates above, swirling with golden flecks like drifting stars. Black below, triangular and interlocking. They expand and contract with each breath, searing light bleeding between them. The creature is roughly the size of a leopard, leggy and bearing cloven hooves.

She's also wearing what appears to be a little halo made of green wood.

Maybe a laurel crown?

It's hanging off one of her ear wings at a jaunty angle.

15. - Top - End - #525

Training Grounds - Enter the Dragon

Spoiler
    Show
    [Training Grounds]

"Earth Dragon is a whole style of fighting, yes," Calm Reed says, observing St. Laz's efforts. Strong and vicious, but clumsy. Like a mortal monk being handed a tetsubo and trying the basic stances. Only St. Laz is stronger than any mortal she's seen. Hmmm... "One of the five Immaculate styles and one among many in Creation. When I stand firm and deliver powerful, straight punches and kicks, I'm using it. When I'm moving quicker and drowning an enemy in strikes, I'm using Water Dragon style. Those are the two I've learned. If I hadn't wound up here, I might have chosen to undertake a third one eventually."

"Fire Dragon?" Saint Lazarus guesses, assuming that there's a classic element for four of the five, and then some super special fifth element. Aether, maybe? Fire Dragon is super aggressive but with little to no defensive options, Sky/Air Dragon focuses on being dodgey and annoying, and then Aether Dragon Style depends entirely upon imbuing your blows with magic to cheat because you're a lame nerd who can't fight without using magic as a crutch?

Outside the Base

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Outside the Base]

The sorceress nods. "Yes, but that sort of situation has not come up yet. Magma, which is the eldritch I manifest, has a tendency to cause massive collateral damage. Whenever I summon something, like what you just fought, I hold back the heat. Releasing it would most likely cause it to destroy everything in its path and that applies to nearly everything I do. I could easily have burned down large parts of Riverside during the invasion if I had gone full out for instance. Possibly doing more damage to the city itself than to the invaders." She turns to Calm Reed. "But I'm not anything like the people of your world, Calm Reed. It might seem similar but don't judge a book by its cover, I would argue that few things you know of your world applies to me." She looks between them. "But good job today, you've proven yourself capable. You should go to the barracks and have some downtime. I will make sure they are arranged to your specifications."
    [Outside the Base]

Calm Reed listens to Cessie with a solemn expression. Power that needs reining in... that's something the Dragon-Blooded know well. It's what she teaches as a monk of the Order. She nods and bows respectfully.

"That is true. Unlearning what I know doesn't come easily to a Dragon-Blooded monk of my experience, I'm afraid. But I'll do my best. I don't require much in terms of living quarters, either. I've sworn to forsake luxury."

That would explain why Cessie isn't often seen on the front lines, wouldn't it? All this time Jenette grew up thinking Ms. Mithar took on a more administrative role simply because she didn't have the necessary power to tangle with VIGIL's greatest foes. Clearly the problem was the exact opposite of that; she had too much power, which is a concept as alien as it is terrifying to the Nexus native. She grew up with stories of mortals-made-gods battling in the streets, unbelievably powerful heroes fending off planet-eating monsters. They were supposed to have all died out.

"I uhh...I should probably head home and get dinner, actually. Make sure Fidelia hasn't tried to dry her shirts in the microwave again." Wow, she's never going to live that one down, is she?
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

[Training Grounds - Enter the Dragon]

"Good guess." Calm Reed smiles. "I would have learned Fire Dragon style. Air Dragon and Wood Dragon don't work well in the kind of armor I normally wear. Earth Dragon can be practised in armor as heavy as yours, even." She peers at St. Laz's movements. "You should try to pull your shoulders back more when you strike. You overreach and waste energy otherwise. Stand firm on the ground and strike from your legs and core."

17. - Top - End - #527
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Vigil Tour- Makuro's Place

"I do not know where to find lemonade. I do know where I want our next stop to be. The training grounds. I was planning on going there soon anyway, try to find out some of the things I can do now. Are you ready?" If not, they can wait long enough to finish their glasses of water, before Makuro heads off to the...

Makuro arrives here, with possibly Lapis in tow. Makuro's very odd-looking; her appearance would probably cause doubt in her humanity, though she is truly human. She's heavily mutated, with limbs that are too long, gangly arms and legs in comparison to their body length. She has long bright orange hair and dark brown skin, with large eyes. They're clad with a single plain grey shirt and matching trousers, and visible on their lower back is a symbol resembling the Greek letter omega upside down, or possibly an elaborate U or C.

Hair and skin are both natural, and her eyes are black orbs with no differentiation between iris, pupil and sclera. Her proportions are off, too; her torso's sized right for human normal, yet she stands about two and a half metres tall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [VIGIL Training Grounds]

Lapis Lazuli isn't really sure why coming here is so important. Her friend must have had something important she needed to do before finding lemonade.

She bounds along behind Makuro, pausing every now and again to take a bite out of a shrub that's starting to look a little too scruffy.

Apparently she's naturally predisposed to gardening.

The seraph looks... alien. Maybe a deer or a dragon would be the most reasonable thing to compare her to, but those are, perhaps, simply the things which are least dissimilar to her. She has wings, or something like them. Two at her shoulders, two at her hips, and two flanking her head like ears. Things like eyes dot her body, pits of void ringed by stellar white, like the accretion disk of a dead star. She's covered in something akin to scales, deep indigo plates above, swirling with golden flecks like drifting stars. Black below, triangular and interlocking. They expand and contract with each breath, searing light bleeding between them. The creature is roughly the size of a leopard, leggy and bearing cloven hooves.

She's also wearing what appears to be a little halo made of green wood.

Maybe a laurel crown?

It's hanging off one of her ear wings at a jaunty angle.
    [Vigil Tour - Training Grounds]

Before Karasu notices them, the three of them (Wenomir, Makuro and Lapis Lazuli) will get to watch Karasu train for a bit. She's light on her feet, her movements are quick and honed.

First she punches, then kicks, then does a mixture of moves designed to incapacitate the enemy in the least amount of time. Then, she'll generate a shadow clone that appears behind the dummy to twist its head, when the clone notices the new people. The original turns and dispels the clone in a pool of shadow, taking in the two newcomers with her eyes. One appears to be a mutant and the other one is the most accurate seraph she's met in the Nexus, but far from the most alien or eldritch-looking beings that exist in this world.

Karasu looks like a teenaged girl with black sclera, amber irises and pupils (slight differentiation in that her pupils are slightly darker-coloured) and chocolate brown skin. Her hair is styled in a mohawk fade, with the curly afro mohawk dyed purple. She's dressed in a modest grey pleated skirt reaching up to her knees, a purple and black top with African print designs on it and palm slippers.

"Hello. I'm new."
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2019-03-22 at 04:54 PM.
    Love is the message.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Orc in the Playground

The truth is much more simple! The training grounds are where people go if they're not relaxing and have nothing better to do. Therefore, there's usually people here. People Makuro can ask about lemonade.

"Hello. I'm Makuro, this is Lapis. We are also quite new; Lapis was born today, and I joined last week-ish. Time is tricky, I've noticed. Do you know where we might find some lemonade?" Makuro's a little surprised that Karasu didn't actually give her name, but it doesn't show much.

19. - Top - End - #529

[VIGIL Tour - Training Grounds]

Lapis puffs out her cheeks a bit and gives the giant a look.

Makuro stole her thunder!

She was going to comment on how she's new as well, only a few hours old! She knew what the... ummm...

Ninja?

That's a ninja.

Mom knows what ninjas are and that knowledge got passed on to Lapis, among other random tidbits.

Anyway!

She knew what the ninja meant! But her reply was going to be a clever play on words but Makuro ruined that forever!

It's the most tragic thing that has happened to Lapis thus far. Her bar for tragedy is pretty low at the moment.

"Mom made me since horrible pod people are lurking around!" Lapis says as she strikes the most vigilant pose she can come up with, hunkering down slightly and lashing her tail back and forth. She's pretty sure it looks cool. "My job is to make sure none of them sneak into VIGIL! I'm going to be super vigilant and there's no way anything will get past- ooh a butterfly!"

She goes bounding after the colorful insect.

"Come back! I just want to eat you a little bit!"

20. - Top - End - #530
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Commanders' Village]

As Cessie works, Ithuriel flinches again, withdrawing her arm slightly with a hiss of pain.

And then the wound ripples, the flesh surrounding it rapidly withering as it starts to expand, seemingly responding to Cessie's attempts to contain it by attacking the angel's arm.

"Uh-" Ithuriel looks down at her arm, then back at Cessie with a concerned expression. "That's not good."
    [Commanders' Village]

That is not good.

"Hold still. Moving will only make this hurt more." The sorceress remarks without so much as looking up at Ithuriel, the wound had all her attention at the moment. The elemental in the office will even move to help hold the angel still as this happens.

Cessie had been in enough of dangerous situations to know that inaction would result in more harm than action in some cases, regardless how destructive that action might be.
    Thus, without hesitation, she spreads her fingers and searing flames surge into the wound. While she was able to apply the flame at surgical precision at this range, she still had to base this in prov "operation" on sight. Essentially, where she though she could see the substance, she would burn. But she would still be quite liberal in how she applied the flames. Better to have Ithuriel suffer greater burns than some of that substance remaining in her body. In her mind, this was the only way at this point.

Here's to hoping she wouldn't move too much since this will hurt.
    Ithuriel doesn't really have to move very much to make this more terrible.
    Her arm's going to be doing that just fine on its own.

It is a very instant reaction to the first impact of the flames that sees the angel's arm explode outwards, away from that "surgical site".
    Like a bloody seam, everything below her elbow splits open down its length, save for a portion of burning mass in the middle that is violently ejected onto the floor.
    Veins and arteries uncoil from their containing flesh as a menagerie of flailing tentacles swatting towards Cessie's arm, clearly seeking the source of the hideous fire.
    Something is keening, but it's hard to tell what. The bones?

This looks like it probably hurts a lot.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

21. - Top - End - #531
    Halfling in the Playground

[Urgent Business - Commander's Village]

Wenomir shakes his head morosely.

"He's dead. But the part of his soul that gave him psychic powers is intact and animating his suit of armor. Long story, like I said. Either way, if this Devourer has a weakness, we do have to find it."

Adir doesn't feel any need to ask more about that mess of a situation. "I'm going to visit some libraries. Reading isn't exactly my strong suit, but this is the kind of studying that can keep me interested. You don't know any spooky sorcerers or oracles who could divine us up some cosmic wisdom on the subject, do ya?" Adir scratches his head. "I know you get around out in the Nexus a lot more than I do. I figure there has to be people like that out there."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't know about oracles or diviners, but a library just opened in Heroes' Hearth, according to our recruits," Wenomir says. "Or... came back after Riddle knows how many years. You might be able to find something there, or in one of the libraries in Inside."

23. - Top - End - #533

"I'll try both. I'm a hero, right? Should be welcome there," Adir grins and gives Wenomir a wink. "Listen, I'm gonna get on this fast. Work on getting everybody together who's coming, and I'll be back inside a day at most. We'll get this done."

And the stag can probably depart, on that note.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #534

Firing Range

"More like a warriorrier, she's like you but with bows and glaives. I still have no idea how she handled those things. I never got the hang of it." Anika shrugs and then gets herself off the ground. She pats the other woman on the shoulder and smiles widely at her. "But hey, don't let mom issues cloud the sun. These shot-guns are like rifles right? Short range, big punch, slow rate of fire."
    The shorter woman flinches slightly at the gesture before glancing up towards Anika and nodding in agreement. There's a flicker of appreciation for not pressing the topic any further. "Sort of, yes." Blanche answers, her tone recovering quickly. "Shotguns are relatively short range because they don't use typical rounds like a pistol or a rifle - instead of one piece of metal, they fire a bunch of tiny balls called buckshot in a spread. It's kinda like chucking a handful of pebbles at someone instead of a single stone; you'll cover a larger area so it's harder to avoid and could hit multiple targets, but each pebble doesn't hit as hard or go as far as the stone.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post

The truth is much more simple! The training grounds are where people go if they're not relaxing and have nothing better to do. Therefore, there's usually people here. People Makuro can ask about lemonade.

"Hello. I'm Makuro, this is Lapis. We are also quite new; Lapis was born today, and I joined last week-ish. Time is tricky, I've noticed. Do you know where we might find some lemonade?" Makuro's a little surprised that Karasu didn't actually give her name, but it doesn't show much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post

Lapis puffs out her cheeks a bit and gives the giant a look.

Makuro stole her thunder!

She was going to comment on how she's new as well, only a few hours old! She knew what the... ummm...

Ninja?

That's a ninja.

Mom knows what ninjas are and that knowledge got passed on to Lapis, among other random tidbits.

Anyway!

She knew what the ninja meant! But her reply was going to be a clever play on words but Makuro ruined that forever!

It's the most tragic thing that has happened to Lapis thus far. Her bar for tragedy is pretty low at the moment.

"Mom made me since horrible pod people are lurking around!" Lapis says as she strikes the most vigilant pose she can come up with, hunkering down slightly and lashing her tail back and forth. She's pretty sure it looks cool. "My job is to make sure none of them sneak into VIGIL! I'm going to be super vigilant and there's no way anything will get past- ooh a butterfly!"

She goes bounding after the colorful insect.

"Come back! I just want to eat you a little bit!"

A fully-grown seraph-like creature, merely a few hours old. Another day in the Nexus. Makuro might not have let it shown much, but it still showed a little bit, something Karasu picks up on, not that she pays it too much attention. She reacts to all of their bubbliness and friendliness with a deadpan expression, waiting for them both to finish speaking before replying, though things get derailed once Lapis chases after something pretty.

"No I don't. I'm Karasu." She simply says, then returns to her training, not letting it show on her face that inside she's smiling, mainly because she's thinking of how she'll tell her girlfriend about her new VIGIL internship.

'Natalie'd want me to make an effort to socialize.' She thinks to herself, stopping mid-kick and turning back to the giant. "Karasu, I'm a ninja, and I'm not a social person. Happy to help with killing the pod people, and treating any battle injuries you might have." That said, she returns back to training, waiting until Lapis returns.
    "So, a newborn seraph, huh? I know a couple angels in GLoG. They look human, but I'm pretty sure that's not their true form." She attempts to make some conversation, while at the same time working up a sweat against the training dummy.
    Love is the message.

26. - Top - End - #536

Firing Range

Anika raises an eyebrow when Blanche twitches, not expecting that kind of reaction. "You okay there?" She gives the catgirls shoulder a light squeeze and then let's go. "If you don't like touching just tell me, 'kay? Otherwise, I could give you a massage so your muscles get to relax a bit. My- I mean, I heard muscle tension can cause some pretty major headaches and even vomiting over time if you can't make them relax. Did touchy-touchy stuff like that all the time when I worked as a healer, so you must know what I'm talking about."

27. - Top - End - #537

Firing Range

"Y-yeah, I'm fine." Blanche assures, though she sounds more like she's reaffirming it to herself than Anika. The flinching appears to be a one-time deal, but the elf will indeed note the tautness of her shoulder. "I don't mind contact, I've just gotten kinda... jumpy, over the years." As to the last part, the medic shakes her head, chuckling. "No, never did or even learned that sorta thing. My role was mostly keeping soldiers from dying long enough for someone else to come around and fix them up." She pauses. "But yeah, maybe that would be a good idea sometime." It's very foreign territory for her, the idea of getting a massage, but Anika seemed at least decent enough to trust.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

28. - Top - End - #538

[Commanders' Village]

Having your arm torched while it goes full skinwalker on you is the sort of thing that sounds incredibly painful, as it happens. Ithuriel certainly seems to have quite the pained expression, but in keeping with the Intersection Angel Officer's stoic personality, she's not screaming, or panicking, or anything like that.

Instead she grips at the base of the lower arm just past the elbow with her other hand.

"S-sorry Cessie, this- ungh, this isn't going to be pleasant to- nrrgh, watch. I guess we triggered something."

With a vice-like grip, Ithuriel ruthlessly twists first one way then the other to the sound of snapping bones and tearing muscles, breaking everything that tethers the arm in place in two quick motions.

Then she pulls, letting out a hiss as skin tears and flesh splits.

It takes all of a few seconds for her to rip her forearm off and throw it to the floor, staggering backwards with a groan, gripping the messy, broken stump that remains at the end of her arm, the bright white of broken bone showing through the pulpy blood-soaked flesh.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Orc in the Playground

Makuro watches Lapis prance off with a smile on her face, rather used to the seraph's short attention span.

She tilts her head and looks down at Karasu. "I don't know that word. What's a 'ninja'? I am... I do not know what I am, but I wish to help others. Possibly stop what happened to me happening to others, if I can. From what I have heard of the pod people, they are dangerous, Karasu. There is a reason Lapis was created to find them. Human senses aren't enough." Makuro's own senses likely aren't enough, and she's got a slight boost to her sight, enough to prevent her getting blinded easily.

30. - Top - End - #540

[Commanders' Village]

The tentacles are going for door number 1!
    What's behind door number 1? A new car more fire!

Cessie had seen a lot in her relatively short life but seeing the angel tearing her own arm off was somehow more surprising than the arm coming to life. Though the tentacle veins going for her made her panic for a split second, which when you're a mage is never a good thing. A beam of boiling hot magma manifests in the air which will scour the tentacles and the rest of the arm as the angels tears it off. This is including the floor underneath it and possibly even some of Ithuriel's clothes as even being near magma is enough to get a severe burn.

She will quick rein the heat in once the moment has passed and the tentacles have been dealt with however.
    Still, she backs away from the still smoking hold in the ground and then let's smaller, less magma-heated, flames scour the room for all that blood that ended up spraying across the room. Then she realizes something...

"I'm burning it all down, get someone to look at that." She won't accept any arguments from the angel as flames start to spread from the sorceress in every direction. But if Ithuriel could tear her own arm off, then Cessie could at least burn down her own office.

Firing Range

"Think it's since they think more long-term, yeah? Apparently, my mother is like... hundreds of years old, so at that point you really start caring about the long-term effects stuff have on your body. I mean, I can't even wrap my head around living that long." She waves her hand. "But apparently they could spend, like, dozens of those years getting touch with each individual beaver in the forest or whatever. I mean, I like to get in touch with beavers as much as any gal but I'm not like going to seek them all out. Besides, I prefer another kind of beaver if you catch my drift." Anika waggles her overly long eyebrows. "Anyway, were I going to give you a massage or should we start with those shot-guns?"