New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: VVVVVigil: Valorous Veterans Vanquishing Venal Vermin

[Training Ground]

"A reminder that the danger is frequently not where we expect it to be," Wenomir remarks. "You clearly have aptitude, and with training it can be shaped into something that will be useful to us. That's enough for you to join us, though we're also going to have to look into your background a little."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

Training Grounds

"Three days ago, I woke up in an alleyway as I am now. My memories of before then are... Fragmented. I do not even know what name my parents gave me; Makuro was given to me by the person who found me, as it is the colour of my eyes in her native tongue. I remember singing in a church, but not where the church was, nor what I was singing. Even to whom the church was dedicated, saint or faith, I do not know. I was human then, I think. The floor was closer." Which would suggest at the least that she was shorter. "After, I remember running an obstacle course, as I am now, I think. I was on all fours, a lot of the time, and climbed walls and ceiling as easily as floor. My last memory from before three years ago is of an obese man with no limbs. After that, nothing before waking in an alleyway helped by a woman named Keiko, who gave me my name. There are things I know which may provide hints, I know how tarmac is made, and concrete. But I do not know how the spearman did what he did with rocks and vines, nor what made the lady's shield flash. I have learnt enough since my arrival to identify the short one as a nonhuman, but I do not know what he would refer to himself as." And she hasn't learnt the elf isn't human either, since she hasn't registered his ears as a big enough difference from the standard.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Disembarking the Skyferry to Vigil Skybase]

Awen (and her fox) finally return to the Vigil base.

She hasn't been back here since...before the demon invasion of Riverside.
    So she's probably a little out of the loop.

She looks the same as usual: with nearly her entire body covered by a long dress, a veil, a headscarf, ...but this time, she's not wearing gloves. Her fingernails are really sharp.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

[Training Grounds]

"That's... concerning," Wenomir says. "What they did was magic; you'll learn about it in due time. For now we'll set you up with quarters here, since it sounds like you'll need them."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

Training Grounds

"It is a little worrying. But there is not much I can do about it, save practice and hope that whoever the obese man is, I will never see him again, and if he sends anyone after me they aren't prepared for what I can do. I wish to help people, with my abilities. That is why I am here. But I would also like to learn how to defend myself in case the obese man's minions find me. I do not think they are looking, however. They have taken whatever they wanted of me; that is why they left me in an alleyway." The obese man with no limbs is the only person she remembers before three days ago, besides a faceless crowd she was singing to. She's assuming he had some authority, because he's the only one she remembers.

6. - Top - End - #186

[Skybase: Headed towards the surface]

Awen walks up the catwalks, stairs, and so on that leads from the underside to the overside.

Upon reaching the top, she needs to take a breather-break. Going up that many stairs added to the low oxygen content in the sky...she's definitely not in as good shape as other members here.

She bends over, breathing heavily.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

[Training Grounds]

"I wouldn't count on them just leaving you alone, but it's true there's little we can do about it for now." He motions to the half-orc again. "Show her to an unoccupied room."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Training Grounds --> Room

Makuro will follow to an unoccupied room, though she doesn't have much to put in it. She'll probably rearrange the bed; she's a bit too tall to fit in standard human-sized beds.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Outside the Base

If there's one thing Laz is good at, it's not knowing when to let go and stop being incredibly stupid. She decides that as dangerous as dangling from her sword might be, which is still embedded in a giant magma dragon's abdomen, there are perhaps even stupider, more reckless things she could be doing instead. When the tail tries to assail her and her ribbons, she lets go of her sword and plummets towards the ground. She was trying to grab the tail and ride that instead, but completely mistimed her lunge, so now she's dropping out of the sky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Outside the Base]

Calm Reed doesn't slow down one bit when the elementals appear and tries to simply barrel into them while running at full tilt. She then proceeds to assault them with a fluid, hypnotic pattern of strikes that seek the smallest cracks and weaknesses before pounding at them mercilessly, like water beating down a wall. Should it succeed, she'll try to finish them off with a single, straight punch for each of them, before continuing towards St. Lazarus. She'll try to avoid any further elementals by blocking and redirecting their attacks or simply powering through.
    Outside the Base

Welp, so much for Cessie's 'harmless' trial.
    The moment Laz let's go of her sword the hydra seem to panic and so does the other elementals.
    They completely stop what they're doing as the flying creature attempts to desperately dive for Laz and attempts to catch her one of its three jaws.
    This will allow Calm Reed to effortlessly fight through them as they don't even seem to dodge or defend against her attacks. They're just standing there passively staring at the falling Laz, offering no resistance whatsoever.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Barracks

"Please, stop talking about my mom." The rather discomforted catgirl states more than requests, though not quite demands, shivering as a somewhat unpleasant mental image is evoked and then hastily banished. Eugh, she did not want to think about her mother cuddling someone. Thankfully, Renee provides another topic to think about.

Picking up her own cup and taking a sip before frowning, setting it down and opening the fridge to grab a container of creamer. "Probably just a focus on evading other humans or the average humanoid types." She comments, stirring some of the substance in. "Men, elves, orcs, and so on... their keenest senses are all sight and sound, so that's what people focus on." She frowns. "Besides, if you're not engaged in infiltration but trying to avoid detection in the heat of combat, scent is usually the last sense anyone's going to focus on using."
    Barracks

"Ignorant is what it is. People wear perfume, deodorant, body spray, and all sorts of things. People rely on covering themselves up so much just for propriety's sake that they forget they can be tracked by all of it."
    Renee grumbles, sipping her tea before sighing and setting it aside. "So, what now? I think we've got a feel for each other now. I think you know I speak the truth as well. It all depends on you now."

11. - Top - End - #191

[Skybase: => Crossing the surface]

Awen walks through the surface of the Skybase. She's headed in the direction of the upper village.

Man, this was a long day.

She just wants to get to the bathhouse and relax.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

12. - Top - End - #192

Barracks

"Never said it wasn't. Only trying to reason why few people would think about that." Blanche defends/concedes, taking a long sip of her own beverage. It wasn't the worst she'd had, for sure. Tea wasn't her usual drink of choice, mostly because she was never quite sure what to mix in with it - too many options, too much experimentation to figure out exactly how much sugar or honey or creamer you liked, what brand or blend you preferred. She didn't really have much patience for that sort of thing when you could just grab a bottle of water or pour yourself a glass of orange juice instead.

A second or two is taken to think up a response. On one hand, Blanche still kind of just wanted to go back to bed and get more sleep, though the tea kind of screwed that plan over. But she didn't really mind Renee that much, to be honest, and at the very least Junior was kinda cute. "Well, I'm not going to shove you outside or anything. I'll let you finish your drink at the very least." She answers, still mulling over exactly what her response should be. "I don't mind talking more either, though I don't know what we could talk about."
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Crossing the surface]

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Awen walks through the surface of the Skybase. She's headed in the direction of the upper village.

Man, this was a long day.

She just wants to get to the bathhouse and relax.
    There's someone else walking through the surface of the skybase, headed in the direction of the upper village.
    It's Alice.
    She's probably walking rather faster than Awen and will catch up to her pretty soon.

"Is that Awen?" It's probably Awen. It looks just like her. Dress, veil, headscarf, fox familiar. "Where have you been?"
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2018-12-03 at 09:36 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #194

Default Re: [Crossing the surface]

[Crossing the surface]

It is Awen! The witch. And her fox.

"Oh! Hi!" she says, turning to face Alice. (Alice is the centaur, right?) "It's you!"

She smiles and waves, though you can't see her smile through the veil. It is apparent that she's not wearing gloves. She waits for Alice to catch up, even though it would probably be better to just keep on walking and let her catch up anyway.

Once Alice catches up, she starts walking again. "Oh, in the aftermath of the Riverside incident, I was a bit separated and couldn't get back to everyone else," she says. "So I've been just doing things on the ground - shopping, partying, running into cultists, that sort of thing."

"And you?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

15. - Top - End - #195

Default [Crossing the Surface]

Yes, that's Alice. Black coat, golden-white hair. She's wearing a red turtleneck sweater and those coke-bottle glasses that don't actually do anything for her vision.

"Hello Awen. Hello fox."
    She smiles in return, just barely, and slows her pace once she catches up with Awen.

"Since Riverside I've been working on a way to replicate some of the effects of the angelsong we heard there."
    "And we- I helped MERC members with a demon, and repaired a magical wellspring."
    "Cultists, you say?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #196

Default Re: [Crossing the Surface]

[Crossing the Surface]

"Oh, wow," Awen says as she walks (and her fox trots along behind). "Those all sound very interesting."

Then, talks about the cultists for a bit: "Yeah! Ran into a couple of them doing stuff around Inside and worked with someone else to help take them out and stop them from whatever ritual they were doing," she says. "This little guy," she glares at the fox, "led me straight to them." They managed to kidnap her.

Looping back the conversation, she asks, "Anyway, how's the progress on the angelsong going? Sounds like it would be very helpful to learn how to do."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

17. - Top - End - #197

Alice, apparently misunderstanding, smiles down at the fox. "Doing some detective work, huh fox?"

For Awen, she gives a shake of her head.

"So far I've only managed to replicate some of the side-effects of the song on myself, and learn some new tunes. In my case materials some architecture changes were able to mimic the effect, but in general, it's harder. The processing power involved is pretty up there. I just hope it doesn't end up needing a literal angel to provide the power." Of course it might end up being impossible for other reasons. "It doesn't help that none of the angels I know can sing."

"But right now, I think I need a break."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #198

Default Re: [Crossing the Surface]

[Crossing the Surface]

The fox likes getting praised.
    Even for things he doesn't deserve, probably.

Meanwhile, Awen decides to not correct Alice.

"Oh, that's pretty interesting," the witch says even though she doesn't really understand everything that's being talked about. "Unfortunately, I don't know any angels, musical or not."

If she did know an angel, Alice would be the first person she'd reference it to. Angels like being used as power generators, right?

"I'm kind-of taking a break, as well," she says. "Just going to relax in the bathhouse." And hope nobody else is there.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Barbarian in the Playground

Outside the Base

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Outside the Base

Welp, so much for Cessie's 'harmless' trial.
    The moment Laz let's go of her sword the hydra seem to panic and so does the other elementals.
    They completely stop what they're doing as the flying creature attempts to desperately dive for Laz and attempts to catch her one of its three jaws.
    This will allow Calm Reed to effortlessly fight through them as they don't even seem to dodge or defend against her attacks. They're just standing there passively staring at the falling Laz, offering no resistance whatsoever.

"I'm fine, you didn't need to do that," Saint Lazarus grumbles faintly, reaching for her rondel dagger, so she can carve up and stab-stabbity-stab the flying hydra-beast's gums, now that she's been caught by the beast and not tumbling out of the sky towards her possible demise. "I could totally survive a fall like that, you just have to line yourself up with the ground and go limp before hitting the ground," she insists, even though she's not a hundred percent that's true at all and has never dropped from any higher than a two-story building, tops.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2018-12-06 at 12:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

[Outside the Base]

Calm Reed slows down and stops when the elementals do, though she's still smashed through the first two just with her momentum. She watches the hydra and St. Laz to see what happens, her watery blue Anima glowing around her.

21. - Top - End - #201

What a good* little fox**.

"Huh. Knowing angels seems like your kind of thing." A little surprising, Awen.

Depends on the angel. Some are perfectly happy to passively channel god's light into the world. Most of the ones we see in the Nexus wouldn't put up with that, though.

"Huh. I was heading to the same place." Hopefully that won't cause Awen any trouble, there being another PC in the building.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Barracks

"Never said it wasn't. Only trying to reason why few people would think about that." Blanche defends/concedes, taking a long sip of her own beverage. It wasn't the worst she'd had, for sure. Tea wasn't her usual drink of choice, mostly because she was never quite sure what to mix in with it - too many options, too much experimentation to figure out exactly how much sugar or honey or creamer you liked, what brand or blend you preferred. She didn't really have much patience for that sort of thing when you could just grab a bottle of water or pour yourself a glass of orange juice instead.

A second or two is taken to think up a response. On one hand, Blanche still kind of just wanted to go back to bed and get more sleep, though the tea kind of screwed that plan over. But she didn't really mind Renee that much, to be honest, and at the very least Junior was kinda cute. "Well, I'm not going to shove you outside or anything. I'll let you finish your drink at the very least." She answers, still mulling over exactly what her response should be. "I don't mind talking more either, though I don't know what we could talk about."

Barracks

Renee gives a small nod, sipping her overly sweetened tea as she mulls over a talking point. After a bit, one does come to her though and she swallows back the rest of her tea before asking. "I need to know. Sorry if it's a bit of a sore subject, but why are you here up at Vigil if you've got a problem with loud guns? You know you'll be in combat, right?" She asks, sounding far more curious than critiquing or chastising. It was Blanche's own choice after all.

23. - Top - End - #203

Barracks

The inquiry takes Blanche by surprise, and she pauses for a beat... before breaking out into a grim chuckle. ”Come, let me show you something.” Blanche requests, standing up, and leads Renee out of the kitchen and into her room. Once there, she sets down her drink on her desk and opens the gun safe, revealing the contents within. A worn and battered gun case rests on the top shelf, its shape suggesting the contents to be a pistol. Three other firearms have been lined up in the main compartment with a clear degree of care and organization; from left to right, a SPAS-12, a SA80, and a rifle that looks a little out of place next to the much more modern firearms, a scoped Mosin Nagant. Another case is laid vertical to the far left, and a series of various boxes of ammunition are carefully arranged in front. Cleaning supplies have been tidily tucked away in a bottom drawer.

“I don’t have problems with firearms, I’ve handled them for... hm, five years now?” She informs, grabbing the topmost case and some cleaning supplies before sliding it out and locking the safe shut. Walking over to her desk, she places the case down and opens it, removing the pistol within and beginning to strip and clean it with an ease of motion that suggests she’s done this so many times she could do it blindfolded. “My problem,” she continues, “is that I jump at gunshots not because I’m ****ing scared of them, but because it’s reflex to find cover and fire back.”
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Blanche's Room

"Not a big fan of guns personally."
    Renee admits after Blanche shows her the collection and the reasoning behind leaving the party. "Not afraid of them or afraid to use them, but I just don't really see the appeal. I mean, yeah, I've got my plasma shotgun and all, but that's just a cheap doornknocker and statement maker." She points out before holding out her good hand into the air. Black-Green energy swirls for a moment before an ugly organic looking crystal blade forms in her hand, a couple feet long with a single cutting edge and a thick spine. It was made to chop and hack. It was certainly not an elegant weapon. "Ugly, but she gets the job done. I like the weight and feel of the blade personally compared to firing a gun. I find them too loud for the most part and my hearing is sensitive."

25. - Top - End - #205

Barracks - Blanche's Room

The catgirl pauses her routine disassembly to observe the summoned weapon, her piercing eyes studying the wicked edge with a fairly appreciative look. "I understand that - I'm the same way with ballistic firearms." She explains as she resumes her work. Plasma and laser weaponry have their advantages... but personally, they just don't feel right. There's something about ballistics that feel much more visceral. The recoil, the whiff of propellant, the sound of the bolt sliding into place as it chambers another round... they feel like they really are deadly, y'know? Laser weapons lack that, it's a weird sort of dissonance I really don't like." Glancing back at the blade, she adds "Can't weigh in on those though. I've never actually held a blade, much less fought with one. Not that it stops me from doing a lot of cutting in the field, of course."
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2018-12-10 at 08:27 PM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

26. - Top - End - #206

[Outside the Base]

Well, then.
    Looks like the challenge is back on.

As Saint Lazarus stabs the creature it lets her go, though considerably closer to the ground now. Even a normal human being would have survived this fall without any real injuries.
    The beast then makes a U-turn as it circle back towards the ghoul-knight, breathing out a huge cloud of smoke and ash with all its three heads upon the ground underneath it. While this vog is relatively harmless, everyone trapped inside the rapidly growing cloud of darkness will find that they can barely see their own hands as the smog is so thick that it blocks out the sun.

Now the elementals starts moving again too, two of them moving to attack Calm Reed from behind, trying to grab onto one of her sashes to rip it off.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Barbarian in the Playground

Outside the Base

Bah, Saint Lazarus doesn't need sight to find the beast. She can just close her eyes and use her nose to...oh. Oh right, all that smoke and ash has killed that plan. Trying to use her magic-o-vision isn't going to be of much help either. Trying to find a solid mass of magical smoke and ash in a cloud of magical smoke and ash isn't likely to achieve much.

"Okay...okay, fine. Just breathe, and listen. Just focus on sound," Saint Lazarus tells herself, forgetting she doesn't really need to breath at all as she closes her eyes and focuses on the sounds of wings against the wind, of the elemental goons swarming around Calm Reed. The hydra's going to swoop down again probably, assuming that Saint Lazarus is completely incapacitated by the cloud of smoke. She just needs to keep her ears alert for the sounds of it diving towards her again, and then duck at the last second, stabbing upwards, hoping to slice her dagger through something important.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

[Outside the Base]

Calm Reed is surprised by the elementals' sudden return to motion, and they manage to tear one of the sashes away. She responds by snapping back, grabbing one of them and trying to simply smash it into the other one to hopefully topple both of them together. She then continues charging towards St. Lazarus, who is now engulfed in the vog. Calm Reed stops short of running into the cloud and, her elemental aura growing yet brighter, aims another jet of freezing water at the hydra.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Barracks - Blanche's Room

The catgirl pauses her routine disassembly to observe the summoned weapon, her piercing eyes studying the wicked edge with a fairly appreciative look. "I understand that - I'm the same way with ballistic firearms." She explains as she resumes her work. Plasma and laser weaponry have their advantages... but personally, they just don't feel right. There's something about ballistics that feel much more visceral. The recoil, the whiff of propellant, the sound of the bolt sliding into place as it chambers another round... they feel like they really are deadly, y'know? Laser weapons lack that, it's a weird sort of dissonance I really don't like." Glancing back at the blade, she adds "Can't weigh in on those though. I've never actually held a blade, much less fought with one. Not that it stops me from doing a lot of cutting in the field, of course."
    Barracks

Renee seems understanding of the explanation and casts the blade away, letting it dissolve before she holds out her hand. "Let me see your hands for a moment. If nothing else, I can at least pay you back by growing a gun." Renee explains. Sure, she didn't really owe Blanche anything in her mind but she definitely needed the practice of building stuff. She wouldn't be as good as her mother, but if she could get back to some of those pools she'd built in the MagCave...

"Rifle? Pistol? Shotgun? Which would you prefer?"
    She asks. If Blanche lets her look over her hands, Renee will analyze them closely.

30. - Top - End - #210

[Outside the Base]

That's two elementals smashed together, exploding in a rain of magma that quickly evaporates into nothing.

Calm Reed can't see any more elementals appearing though, which is odd. But that blast of freezing water is going to get somethings attention alright.
    The flying dragon-hydra flies straight towards her as her blast seem to have opened up its chest, causing molten magma to leak out on the ground below (don't worry Saint Laz, its mostly harmless).
    Two of its heads have been raised to attack while its middle head continues to breath out vog at the area below.

Within the vog Saint Lazarus can hear the wings of the hydra, but just as it sounds like its getting closer, it sounds like suddenly moves past her.

But that doesn't mean she will miss out on the action though as she can hear other movement all around her. A group of three elementals suddenly making a jump on her. Using no other tactic than just simply ganging up on the knight. She will have a few seconds to prepare however as her hearing warns her of the incoming attack. They seem to be able to see her though, which is giving them a distinct advantage.

Meanwhile, the three heads of the hydra seem to somehow be able to combine their breath into a single beam of heated air that it sends towards the monk that enraged it. This heated air won't be dangerous in itself but all the ribbons that come in contact with it will instantly turn to ash.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-12-29 at 11:17 AM.