New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: China's planned artificial moon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    This isn't a game of D&D, things don't just happen because somebody wanted it to. Getting to space is tricky, you cant just strap a cannon to your rocket and have an orbital battle station, and you absolutely cannot turn a mirror into a death laser... ever, under any circumstances, no matter where it is.
    I know this is not d&d but its good to be prepared when eventual real world reveal
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    I know this is not d&d but its good to be prepared when eventual real world reveal
    If China, or anybody else, is sufficiently technologically advanced that they can put a death ray on a satellite without anybody recognizing that's what theyre doing, theres no meaningful preparations we can make anyway.

But that's not actually a thing that can happen, so were fine.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Those who study science and technology regard James Bond film plots and gadgets as nonsense.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks, @wumpus, that was really helpful! So if I understand correctly, it will also light up part of California 12 hours later for 8 hours (which may means it's now night over there)?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    If Wikipedia is getting American culture wrong then I'm seriously worried...
    Yellow journalism is intentionally being unprofessional in your application of the news, usually by what should be a legitimate and ethical source. If the New York times as a policy intentionally sensationalizes facts on the basis that it will sell more papers/clicks that is Yellow Journalism. William Randolf Hearst would be well acquainted with the idea, its also been around for over 150 years and probably fell out of popular use in the mid-50s or 60s when tabloid sized news papers became the standard for such sensational stories, thus the tabloids.
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2018-10-31 at 03:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

What if it turns out your phone is secretly a transformer, sent to infiltrate your life until it eventually turns itself into a ninja star and cuts your head off? You need your fears and preparations to be grounded in reality and what is plausible, otherwise there's no shortage of stuff to be alarmed about. Name anything, and it'll be easy to come up with theory for how it could be some insidious plot to take over the world.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2018-10-31 at 06:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    If Wikipedia is getting American culture wrong then I'm seriously worried...
    Yeah, this was a thing in like...the early 1900s. Probably shouldn't use Wikipedia to make sweeping claims about current American culture.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-10-31 at 07:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Thanks, @wumpus, that was really helpful! So if I understand correctly, it will also light up part of California 12 hours later for 8 hours (which may means it's now night over there)?
    Only if they wanted to focus it. And I still think it can only light up a single city, not a whole state.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

So we're saying that this mirror will hit perihelion (closest point of orbit) over China, and then and hit it again over the Eastern US/Atlantic Ocean (China's not opposite the Western US)? Or are we saying it hits Perihelion over China, and Aphelion over the Eastern US? In the second case, it would have to hit aphelion over South America, rather than North America.

Also, how do you get the orbit to precess so it stays the same relative to the sun over the course of the whole year?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #70
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Yeah, this was a thing in like...the early 1900s. Probably shouldn't use Wikipedia to make sweeping claims about Absolutely Anything In Existence
    Expanded upon for accuracy?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    So we're saying that this mirror will hit perihelion (closest point of orbit) over China, and then and hit it again over the Eastern US/Atlantic Ocean (China's not opposite the Western US)? Or are we saying it hits Perihelion over China, and Aphelion over the Eastern US? In the second case, it would have to hit aphelion over South America, rather than North America.

Also, how do you get the orbit to precess so it stays the same relative to the sun over the course of the whole year?
    No, they are saying apogee over China, perigee over somewhere south, then apogee over the USA, then perigee over somewhere else in the south, then apogee over China again. Always apogee in the night.

Presumably the precession is taken care of by having the duration of the orbit slightly off the exact 12 hours, dunno myself whether it needs to be short or long.

<Edited perihelion to perigee and aphelion to apogee. Thanks DavidSh.>
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-11-01 at 03:49 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

12. - Top - End - #72

MindFlayer

You mean apogee and perigee, or more generally apoapsis and periapsis, not aphelion and perihelion. We're orbiting the earth here, not the sun.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    You mean apogee and perigee, or more generally apoapsis and periapsis, not aphelion and perihelion. We're orbiting the earth here, not the sun.
    Yes, I knew "~helion" was wrong, but I couldn't remember what the right thing was.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Presumably the precession is taken care of by having the duration of the orbit slightly off the exact 12 hours, dunno myself whether it needs to be short or long.
    Precession is how the orbit itself rotates, and just making the orbit a bit short or a bit long wouldn't work. You'd end up six months later with the perigee occurring over South America and apogee (thanks, DavidSh!) occurring over China, with the orbit still oriented the same way relative to the rest of the galaxy.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post

If you are asking about a Molniya orbit, it would have perigee over the southern Atlantic and Indian oceans. The reason it has apogee only in the northern hemisphere is that it has a single orbit that spends most of its time in the Northern Hemisphere and swings around close to the Earth in the Southern Hemisphere. The reason it is over two different places is because the orbit is only 12 hours long (if you went high/fast* enough for a 24 hour orbit you would just go straight to geostationary orbit) and the Earth only rotates half way around each time the satellite orbits.

* The faster you make the satellite go, the higher it orbits and the longer it takes to get around the Earth. LEO (low Earth orbit, where the ISS is) is cheapest place to put satellite (about a 90 minute orbit, but bring fuel to compensate for what little atmosphere is there as it slowly drags you down), Molniya is a bit more expensive, and Geosync/Geostationary is most expensive of all (unless you want to go out to other planets or something).

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    What if it turns out your phone is secretly a transformer, sent to infiltrate your life until it eventually turns itself into a ninja star and cuts your head off? You need your fears and preparations to be grounded in reality and what is plausible, otherwise there's no shortage of stuff to be alarmed about. Name anything, and it'll be easy to come up with theory for how it could be some insidious plot to take over the world.
    well the chance my iphone turns in to deception transformer is low enough that if ever happens i will be playing lottery that day since i have more solid chance to win the lottery then apple secretly creating transformers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah. I assumed it would hit perigee over China. I guess if you want maximum time of reflection, though, you'd want the light beaming in while the satellite is moving more slowly (at apogee). And, yeah I was pretty much asking if it was a 12-hour or 24-hour orbit.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

well the chance my iphone turns in to deception transformer is low enough that if ever happens i will be playing lottery that day since i have more solid chance to win the lottery then apple secretly creating transformers.
    So it turns out that there's roughly the same odds of this satellite being a secret death laser as of your iphone being a transformer with murderous intent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

19. - Top - End - #79
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, the chance my iphone turns in to deception transformer is low enough that if it ever happens I will be playing lottery that day since I have more solid chance to win the lottery than apple secretly creating transformers.
    Probability does not work that way. Your phone turning into a death robot and winning the lottery are independent events.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Probability does not work that way. Your phone turning into a death robot and winning the lottery are independent events.
    I don't know - have there been any rigorous studies that look for a correlation between death-robot-phone owners and lottery winners? It could be that death robots are good at rigging lottery drawings on behalf of their owners, and I'm not sure we've done enough research to be sure that isn't the case.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

They're also different types of odds. Winning the lottery is an event we know has a small chance of happening, iPhones secretly being transformers is a thing that either is or is not the case, we just estimate from everything else we know about the world that it seems unlikely. But ones your iPhone turns out to be a transformer we can say the chance of it being one was 1 all along, we just didn't know it. We could make the same case for the lottery using a deterministic worldview, but the drawing of one winning ticket is in principle a random event, the unveiling of the transphoners is not.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!