New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Should I use a partially mapped "dungeon" tonight?

My players are only going to see part of the area tonight, and I've mostly mapped out those areas. By design, they would have very difficult time exploring the whole thing, and they sort of have a time limit anyway.

I'm asking because I've been thinking... If I had to map the whole thing, I'd never be done. I'd have to make so many predictions for the campaign, and it isn't like this area is an isolated tomb- it's the sewers that a thieves guild is using to navigate a very large city. It has access points throughout the city, and this area is just a small part of the sewers. The campaign is focused on this city in particular, and my players will rarely leave it entirely.

I had the idea of setting up locked gates to areas that haven't been mapped yet, but players are often enticed by locked gates... Working in my favor, though, is the fact the players do not have any rogues in their party, nor anyone at the moment capable of picking locks.
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2018-10-21 at 01:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Should I use a partially mapped "dungeon" tonight?

With the time limit, the locked gates ought to do the trick, as long as they don't have quick bypasses. You could drop a hint via handout or NPC that the PCs are likely to fail if they waste their time on the gates. Maybe the advice goes that the gates are only the first of several blocks in each direction. Or you could make sure the PCs know that there are dangerous things behind the gates, and bypassing the gates could set them loose in the dungeon, complicating matters needlessly.

All that said, I'd probably have a piece of prepared dungeon ready to throw in whereever, just in case they do make it past a blockade. And I might just resort to telling the players that I hadn't expected them to go this way, what with the time limit and all, and I hadn't prepared that bit yet.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Should I use a partially mapped "dungeon" tonight?

Set real world time limit. 4 hours after that make a decision based on where they are.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

4. - Top - End - #4

Yes.

To avoid useing ''un mapped " parts....all you need to do is :

1.Slow the game down
    2.Keep the Players Busy
    3.Keep the Players Distracted

A very simple one would be: heavily locked and trapped gates TO places you have mapped out and ready. A lot of players can't resist something they can't get past....so give it to them. Maybe more then one. You should be able to get at least ten minutes out of such a block.

Just as simple is any mystery item, like a chest or box.

And a combat encounter is always an easy way to eat up time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I always used "Construction Demons" - a great Demon with a hardhat and reflective strips on its coat, holding a sign that says "Woe to all who pass beyond this point. Under construction."

The party accepted the fact that I hadn't mapped beyond that point, and went another way.

Once they even brought coffee and a pastry to one of the Demons. That was very nice of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Casters effectively lost every weakness they had (from AD&D), and everyone else suffered for it. Since this was done as a direct result of player requests ("make magic better!"), I consider it one of the all-time best reasons NOT to listen to player requests.

Most people wouldn't know what makes a good game if it stripped naked, painted itself purple, and jumped up on a table singing "look what a good game I am!".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Much as I like the idea of "construction demons," if the players get a decent session's worth of playtime out of the session, they should accept "And this is where we'll pick up next time, since I haven't prepared that part!"

If they stumble close to unmapped sections too early, try prodding them in other directions. You can use treasure or something to lure them one way, or just say "Path B is only partly-mapped, so please choose A or C."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.