New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Dealing with single shots

Roll20 5e one shot.

Mission: Rescue Daughter of a merchant. Told to meet 3 days away from town and bring gold.

Character gen
    Guy 1: Dragonborn wants to use Dex based Polearm use. DM allows.

First random encounter he breaths fire and targets a friendly square.

Drop off of Gold: He attacks the first enemy he sees.

I talk us out of the problem.

Random encounter on the way back this idiot breaths fire and gets one of use and argues that I should be hit also.

I had to show them the template 5o not get hit.

Then at the end of the run the guy tries to act like he is walking out with the reward.

Anyone else running into people like this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dealing with single shots

Quote Originally Posted by MThurston View Post
    Roll20 5e one shot.

Mission: Rescue Daughter of a merchant. Told to meet 3 days away from town and bring gold.

Character gen
    Guy 1: Dragonborn wants to use Dex based Polearm use. DM allows.

First random encounter he breaths fire and targets a friendly square.

Drop off of Gold: He attacks the first enemy he sees.

I talk us out of the problem.

Random encounter on the way back this idiot breaths fire and gets one of use and argues that I should be hit also.

I had to show them the template 5o not get hit.

Then at the end of the run the guy tries to act like he is walking out with the reward.

Anyone else running into people like this?
    That's the catch of one-shots with randos. Without any lasting consequences, it's a haven for murderhobos and jerks. Players on Roll20 aren't always known for being cooperative/organized/reliable either.

I find that if something seems unreasonable, I ask if I can see if I can stop him before the event gets worse (usually by asking if I can roll an initiative and see if I can prevent the issue). Sometimes, if the DM sees that the problem player is going to be an issue (such as attacking before it appears there's an actual threat), they'll be willing to make a special case as long as you offer a sane alternative.

Best you can do is move on and look for a group that tries to work together. Sometimes, you get lucky. Sorry about your exchange, though; better luck next time, friend.

On a side note, I always have a backup character for when my DM lets something extravagant slide for someone. If Dexterity-based polearms are fine, can I use Intelligence for my spellcasting mod on my Knowledge/Arcana Cleric? Can I use Constitution as my spellcasting mod for my Necromancy Wizard? Will you let me sneak attack with my fists? Can my Kensei use Heavy weapons? Etc.

Likely, those kinds of DM's will either give you what you want, change their mind completely and say "no" to everyone's homebrews, or provide some kind of alternative for you to work with that might work as well. Generally, though, a DM that allows such major changes on a whim probably doesn't truly understand the balance of why Strength has polearms and Dexterity does not, so it's probably best to play out your one-shot and move on.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2018-10-22 at 11:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

*Editing, due to just noticing that it's a Roll20 one-shot thing, not an Adventurer's League thing...*

Keep in mind that the one-shot nature of the game can work in your favor, too.

If the DM makes some dubious choices that some other player is a jerk about exploiting, and then makes your game miserable, there's no consequence for just saying "you know, this isn't working out for me. Good luck everyone" and doing something else with your time. It's not like you'll be meeting up with the same group next week.

If you feel bad about walking out on the payers that are not making the game miserable, find some way to go out in a blaze of glory, saving them from something. Have a Gandalf-on-the-bridge, "Fly, you fools!" moment, die gloriously, and wish everyone GG.

There's no point playing a game that's ceased to be fun, with people you barely even know, that you will never play again.
    Last edited by Monster Manuel; 2018-10-22 at 03:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manuel View Post
    *Editing, due to just noticing that it's a Roll20 one-shot thing, not an Adventurer's League thing...*

Keep in mind that the one-shot nature of the game can work in your favor, too.

If the DM makes some dubious choices that some other player is a jerk about exploiting, and then makes your game miserable, there's no consequence for just saying "you know, this isn't working out for me. Good luck everyone" and doing something else with your time. It's not like you'll be meeting up with the same group next week.

If you feel bad about walking out on the payers that are not making the game miserable, find some way to go out in a blaze of glory, saving them from something. Have a Gandalf-on-the-bridge, "Fly, you fools!" moment, die gloriously, and wish everyone GG.

There's no point playing a game that's ceased to be fun, with people you barely even know, that you will never play again.
    Not a bad idea. Go out in a blaze of glory.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

It's just a risk of online play, especially with pick-up groups: don't sweat it too much.