New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Lightbulb [Creatures] I think, therefore I AM!

Thought Elemental

A thought elemental is a being of unfettered consciousness and calculating intellect, appearing more as mental triggering of senses than anything tangible. Brief snatches of thought and light amongst fleeting scents and the crawling of skin that all combine into the definite knowledge of an entity. It is thought in its pure essence, a creature of reason and deduction free of any physical distractions. Despite this it is in many ways simpler than a child, having no desires or ambitions other than to understand. No particular branch of knowledge does it wish to explore, all holds its attention equally. As it gains knowledge it becomes more complicated in personality and gains a true sentience beyond mere thought.

Thought elementals are most usually spawned from realms whose existence is purely mental, most often the Region of Dreams where thought is a tangible thing. Others more rarely are found within the Astral Plane, forming out of the more fanciful and unreal locales of the realm.

A thought elemental speaks language in its truest form through its telepathy.

Combat
    Thought elementals have no wish to do combat, though their inhabit ability is usually misconstrued as a wish to do harm, when in fact all they seek is experience and knowledge directly from another. If forced to fight however, they use combat as a learning opportunity, as they do all things. With each attack they quickly learn and adapt with uncanny speed.

A thought elemental has good will saves and poor fortitude and reflex saves.

Adaptive Attack (Ex): When it strikes, a thought elemental adapts its attack to take advantage of weaknesses in the opponent's defenses. Each round that it successfully damages a living creature it gains a +1 insight bonus (maximum +5) on attack rolls and damage rolls against the opponent. This bonus remains in force until the elemental deals damage to a different living creature. For example, the first time a thought elemental damages a living foe, a +1 bonus applies to each of its attacks against that target in subsequent rounds. The next time it hits that foe, the bonus increases to +2. During any round that it misses the targer, the bonus does not increase. If the elemental hits a different target at any point in that progression, the bonus against the first target is lost, and a new bonus begins to accrue against the new target.

Hypercognition (Ps): 3/day. A thought elemental is the epitome of calculating intellect and can focus itself to deduct nearly anything as the Hypercognition power (Expanded Psionics Handbook page 111).

Incorporeal Traits: A thought elemental is harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons, powers, spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. It has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source, except for force effects or attacks made with ghost touch weapons. It can pass through solid objects, but not force effects, at will. Its attacks ignore natural armor, armor, and shields, but deflection bonuses and force effects work normally against them. An incorporeal creature always moves silently and cannot be heard with Listen checks if it doesn’t wish to be.

A thought elemental in the Region of Dreams loses all incorporeal traits.

Inhabit (Su): Once per round, a thought elemental can merge its body with a living creature that posesses an intelligence score. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the thought elemental’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the elemental must make a touch attack; moving into the target’s space to use the inhabit ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. While inhabiting a being, a thought elemental can use Mind Probe upon its host at will.

The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save. The save DC varies with the elemental’s size (see the table below). The save DC is Charisma-based.

Code:
    Size      Inhabit Save DC
    Small     13
    Medium    14
    Large     17
    Huge      24
    Greater   27
    Elder     29
    Mindsight (Ex): A thought elemental sees the mental presence of thinking beings. They can detect and pinpoint beings that are not mindless (anything with an Intelligence score of 1 or higher) within range of its telepathy. This works much like blindsight, but only in regards to thinking beings.
    The elemental also perceives several observable characteristics about each being detected with mindsight, including the being's type and Intelligence score. The creature need not take any additional or special actions to gain this information; it is as obvious to mindsight as the being's race and clothing would be to eyesight.

Naturally Psionic: A thought elemental gains 1 bonus power point.

Spasm (Ex): If it wishes a thought elemental's touch can cause a brief surge of neural energy. This momentary wild surge causes the muscles and organs of its victim to spasm painfully, tearing themselves apart. A thought elemental adds their intelligence modifier to the damage dealt. This ability only works on living creatures.

Telepathy (Su): A thought elemental can communicate telepathically with any creature within 120 feet that has an Intelligence score. The creature can respond to the thought elemental if it wishes - no common language is needed.

-=-=-=-=-

Thought Elemental, Small
    Spoiler
    Show

Small Elemental (Extraplanar, Incorporeal, Psionic)
    Hit Dice: 2d8-2 (7 hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: Fly 60 ft. (perfect) (12 squares)
    Armor Class: 15 (+1 deflection, +3 insight, +1 size), touch 15, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-
    Attack: Spasm +2 touch (1d4+3)
    Full Attack: Spasm +2 touch (1d4+3)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Adaptive attack, hypercognition, inhabit, mindsight, spasm
    Special Qualities: Elemental traits, incorporeal traits, naturally psionic, telepathy 200 ft.
    Saves: Fort -1, Ref +0, Will +5
    Abilities: Str -, Dex 10, Con 8, Int 17, Wis 14, Cha 12
    Skills: Autohypnosis +7, Concentration +4, Knowledge (any two) +8, Sense Motive +7
    Feats: Improved Initiative(B), Jack of All Trades, Weapon Finesse(B)
    Environment: Astral Plane or Region of Dreams
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 3 HD (Small)
    Level Adjustment: -

Thought Elemental, Medium
    Spoiler
    Show

Medium Elemental (Extraplanar, Incorporeal, Psionic)
    Hit Dice: 4d8-4 (14 hp)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: Fly 60 ft. (perfect) (12 squares)
    Armor Class: 18 (+2 deflection +5 insight, +1 dex), touch 18, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/-
    Attack: Spasm +4 touch (1d6+5)
    Full Attack: Spasm +4 touch (1d6+5)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Qualities: Elemental traits, incorporeal traits, naturally psionic, telepathy 200 ft.
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +8
    Abilities: Str -, Dex 12, Con 8, Int 21, Wis 18, Cha 14
    Skills: Autohypnosis +11, Concentration +6, Knowledge (any four) +12, Sense Motive +11
    Feats: Improved Initiative(B), Insightful Reflexes, Jack of All Trades, Weapon Finesse(B)
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Advancement: 5-7 HD (Medium)

Thought Elemental, Large
    Spoiler
    Show

Large Elemental (Extraplanar, Incorporeal, Psionic)
    Hit Dice: 8d8-8 (28 hp)
    Speed: Fly 60 ft. (perfect) (12 squares), 70 ft. (14 squares) while psionically focused
    Armor Class: 20 (+3 deflection, +1 dex, +7 insight, -1 size), touch 20, flat-footed 19
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/-
    Attack: Spasm +6 touch (1d8+7)
    Full Attack: Spasm +6 touch (1d8+7)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Qualities: Elemental traits, incorporeal traits, naturally psionic, power resistance 15, telepathy 200 ft.
    Saves: Fort +1, Ref +9, Will +11
    Abilities: Str -, Dex 12, Con 8, Int 25, Wis 20, Cha 16
    Skills: Autohypnosis +16, Concentration +10, Knowledge (any six) +18, Sense Motive +16
    Feats: Improved Initiative(B), Insightful Reflexes, Jack of All Trades, Speed of Thought, Weapon Finesse(B)
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Advancement: 9-15 HD (Large)

Thought Elemental, Huge
    Spoiler
    Show

Huge Elemental (Extraplanar, Incorporeal, Psionic)
    Hit Dice: 16d8 (72 hp)
    Speed: Fly 60 ft. (perfect) (12 squares), 70 ft. (14 squares) while psionically focused
    Armor Class: 22 (+4 deflection, +1 dex, +9 insight, -2 size), touch 22, flat-footed 21
    Base Attack/Grapple: +12/-
    Attack: Spasm +11 touch (2d6+9)
    Full Attack: Spasm +11 touch (2d6+9)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
    Special Qualities: Elemental traits, incorporeal traits, naturally psionic, power resistance 18, telepathy 200 ft.
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +14, Will +17
    Abilities: Str -, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 29, Wis 24, Cha 18
    Skills: Autohypnosis +25, Concentration +19, Diplomacy +23, Knowledge (any seven) +28, Sense Motive +26
    Feats: Ability Focus (inhabit), Improved Initiative(B), Inquisitor, Insightful Reflexes, Jack of All Trades, Psionic Meditation, Speed of Thought, Weapon Finesse(B)
    Challenge Rating: 7
    Advancement: 17-20 HD (Huge)

Thought Elemental, Greater
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Dice: 21d8 (94 HP)
    Initiative: +6
    Armor Class: 25 (+5 deflection, +2 dex, +10 insight, -2 size), touch 25, flat-footed 23
    Base Attack/Grapple: +15/-
    Attack: Spasm +15 touch (2d6+10)
    Full Attack: Spasm +15 touch (2d6+10)
    Special Qualities: Elemental traits, incorporeal traits, naturally psionic, power resistance 20, telepathy 200 ft.
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +17, Will +21
    Abilities: Str -, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 31, Wis 24, Cha 20
    Skills: Autohypnosis +31, Concentration +24, Diplomacy +29, Knowledge (any eight) +34, Sense Motive +31
    Feats: Ability Focus (inhabit), Ghostly Grasp, Improved Initiative(B), Inquisitor, Insightful Reflexes, Iron Will, Jack of All Trades, Master Manipulator, Psionic Meditation, Speed of Thought, Weapon Finesse(B)
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Advancement: 22-23 HD (Huge)

Thought Elemental, Elder
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Dice: 24d8+24 (132 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Armor Class: 26 (+5 deflection, +2 dex, +11 insight, -2 size), touch 26, flat-footed 24
    Base Attack/Grapple: +18/-
    Attack: Spasm +18 touch (2d6+11)
    Full Attack: Spasm +18 touch (2d6+11)
    Special Qualities: Elemental traits, incorporeal traits, naturally psionic, power resistance 25, telepathy 200 ft.
    Saves: Fort +9, Ref +19, Will +24
    Abilities: Str -, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 33, Wis 26, Cha 20
    Skills: Autohypnosis +35, Bluff +32, Concentration +28, Diplomacy +32, Knowledge (any eight) +38, Sense Motive +35
    Feats: Ability Focus (inhabit), Ghostly Grasp, Improved Initiative(B), Inquisitor, Insightful Reflexes, Iron Will, Jack of All Trades, Master Manipulator, Psionic Meditation, Speed of Thought, Weapon Finesse(B)
    Challenge Rating: 11
    Advancement: 25-48 HD (Huge)
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-09-18 at 10:48 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Creatures] I think, therefore I AM!

Hi.

I like them! Another Tribble Creation I hope to use. A few questions however:

- Can you link Hypercognition? Or if not, eleborate as to what it does?

- Exactly where does the subject go, once it has been inhabited?

- Can you summon 'em? Or make 'em?

Thanks.
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelaroth View Post
    - Can you link Hypercognition? Or if not, eleborate as to what it does?
    Link has been added in the entry.

- Exactly where does the subject go, once it has been inhabited?
    The elemental and its host merge together. Its almost exactly like the Malevolence ability of the Ghost.

- Can you summon 'em? Or make 'em?
    I thought of allowing them to be summoned, but then you could just get them to use Hypercognition for you and that'd be a bit unbalanced.

And no, you can't make them, though I'm sure someone could develop a PrC that lets you do something like that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks! And sorry, I forgot my computer has spasmed... can't see links.

Overall it seems like a good critter then. Thankee for making it!
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I like it... not SURE about the Spasm ability... as a matter of personal preference some people might go for inducing epileptic attacks or some such make it do stunning/paralysis and mental ability score drain/damage... more about the central nervous system than the peripheral that way...

Also, just on a quick glance, shouldn't Speed of Thought give the Elder elemental a +11 initiative modifier?

EDIT JULY 2010:

Play-test Data Follows:
    [21:16] <DracoDei_> It appears more as mental triggering of senses than anything tangible. Brief snatches of thought and light amongst fleeting scents and the crawling of skin that all combine into the definite knowledge of an entity.
    [21:16] <DracoDei_> Size: Large
    [21:17] <DracoDei_> 65 feet south of you.
    [21:17] <DracoDei_> Setting is an open plane.
    [21:17] <RobinFiredrake> Hmm.
    [21:18] <Spheniscine> Hmm...
    [21:21] <DracoDei_> Spheniscine, Zyborg, Robin, Creature
    [21:21] <DracoDei_> SPHENISCINE!
    [21:22] <DracoDei_> ((Lets do everything we can here, for Robin's benefit.))
    [21:22] <Zyborg22> ((Is the creature the giant sword?))
    [21:22] <Spheniscine> Heya.
    [21:22] <DracoDei_> ((Yes, that is what it is represented by...))
    [21:23] <DracoDei_> ((As for what it looks like... well, the sword is as accurate (and as inaccurate) as anything...))
    [21:23] <Spheniscine> Hmm... are there any abilities I can use to gain info on it?
    [21:24] <Spheniscine> My knowledge checks ain't that great...
    [21:24] <RobinFiredrake> I can try
    [21:24] <Spheniscine> Does he have to wait his turn?
    [21:25] <DracoDei_> The Planes would be the relevant knowledge to check.
    [21:25] <DracoDei_> He has to wait his turn... but people can Delay...
    [21:27] <Spheniscine> Ah.
    [21:27] <Spheniscine> Sure.
    [21:27] <Spheniscine> (Still can't remember that delay was possible... X3)
    [21:28] <DracoDei_> Ok, so Spheniscine is delaying...
    [21:28] <DracoDei_> That makes it Zyborg's turn...
    [21:28] <DracoDei_> ZYBORG!
    [21:28] <WagzBot> Your friendly neighborhood robot spider.
    [21:30] <Zyborg22> Since I can't do a large amount of damage to it from all the way over here, I'll move next to the others and wait to see what happens.
    [21:31] <RobinFiredrake> Okay, so my go?
    [21:31] == Remi [[email protected]] has joined #DracoD&D
    [21:31] <DracoDei_> Robin: Yes.
    [21:32] <RobinFiredrake> I can use my Int score to make a plains check?
    [21:32] <DracoDei_> Plus your number of ranks in it... and if you don't have any ranks in it, you can't even roll.
    [21:33] <RobinFiredrake> I have one rank in it.
    [21:33] <RobinFiredrake> So, mod is five?
    [21:33] <DracoDei_> You want the larges number on the line... so yeah, 5 sounds right.
    [21:33] <RobinFiredrake> dice 1d20
    [21:33] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 15; Total: 15.
    [21:33] <RobinFiredrake> 20
    [21:37] <DracoDei_> Ok, you recognize (and relay to your allies) that this is a Thought Elemental. It is incorporeal, which means that magic, or magic weapons are required to hit it at all, and even those have a 50% miss chance, unless it is a Force effect (Magic Missile is the most common one), or a Ghost-Touch weapon.
    [21:37] <DracoDei_> It has many powers related to the Mind, including the Mind's control over the Body.
    [21:37] <RobinFiredrake> Hmm.
    [21:37] <RobinFiredrake> So Sphen is out of luck.
    [21:37] <DracoDei_> But you can't remember more than that.
    [21:38] <RobinFiredrake> Alright
    [21:38] <DracoDei_> What makes you say that? I think his Mallet is +1 now, and even if it isn't his lightning and Improvised Arsenal would effect it...
    [21:38] <DracoDei_> So he has a 50% miss chance, but...
    [21:39] <RobinFiredrake> Oh, it's magic.
    [21:39] <RobinFiredrake> got it.
    [21:39] <DracoDei_> Anyway... that still leaves you with a full turn's worth of actions Robin (I don't like that rule, but I don't want to house-rule when testing someone else's monster, which this is.).
    [21:40] <RobinFiredrake> I attempt to cast color spray at it.
    [21:40] <DracoDei_> What is the range on that?
    [21:41] <RobinFiredrake> 15 feet, cone burst.
    [21:41] <DracoDei_> Ok, well, you would have to double move to even get in range, which wouldn't leave you enough time to cast it this turn...
    [21:42] <DracoDei_> So, what are you going to do?
    [21:43] <RobinFiredrake> Will move closer, but I have no other spells readied that would work in this instance.
    [21:44] <DracoDei_> Robin moves to within 15 feet of it.
    [21:44] <DracoDei_> SPHENISCINE!
    [21:46] <Spheniscine> Hmm... I dunno what I can use against it...
    [21:46] <Spheniscine> Does Hatchling's flame count as magical?
    [21:47] <Spheniscine> I do need to be careful not to melt Robin though...
    [21:48] <DracoDei_> Yes, Hatchling's Flame counts as magical.
    [21:48] <DracoDei_> And you can keep it away from Robin (especially since I allow cones to be aimed in more than 8 directions).
    [21:49] <DracoDei_> What is your Speed?
    [21:49] <Spheniscine> 40
    [21:50] <DracoDei_> Well, move yourself where you want to go...
    [21:51] <DracoDei_> Direlda: You are after Zyborg actually (Zyborg hasn't actually gone... his move would have been a Delay, if I had been on the ball...)
    [21:52] <Direlda> (ok)
    [21:53] <Spheniscine> That OK Draco?
    [21:54] <DracoDei_> You are 5 feet too far away from it to get it with the Maneuver...
    [21:54] <Spheniscine> Ouch.
    [21:54] <DracoDei_> So pick a different spot...
    [21:55] <Spheniscine> Dang it... where was I?
    [21:55] <DracoDei_> You might want to right click your token and use the "Undo last move" option...
    [21:55] <DracoDei_> It is very useful in cases like this...
    [21:55] <Spheniscine> Awr too late... >.<
    [21:56] <Spheniscine> Was I next to Dir or Zy? I can't remember...
    [21:58] <DracoDei_> I think you were next to Zyborg...
    [21:59] <Spheniscine> If I can't reach it this turn I guess I should just move partway?
    [21:59] <DracoDei_> Ok, roll damage... what is the DC for the reflex save?
    [21:59] <Spheniscine> Or I could...
    [21:59] <Spheniscine> Hmm...
    [22:00] <Spheniscine> "Reflex half"
    [22:00] <DracoDei_> You are now within range for Hatchling Flame... in case you couldn't tell before.
    [22:00] * DracoDei_ head-desks.
    [22:00] <Spheniscine> What's that?
    [22:00] <DracoDei_> What is your wisdom modifier?
    [22:00] <DracoDei_> I asked for the DC, not the type of save.
    [22:01] <Spheniscine> Oh...
    [22:01] <Spheniscine> Doesn't say.
    [22:01] <DracoDei_> Yes, it does... in two places in fact... although one of them requires some math.
    [22:01] <DracoDei_> Err...
    [22:01] <DracoDei_> Actually, you are right... only in one place.
    [22:02] <DracoDei_> Since we didn't edit in a weapon entry for it... might not have even been one availible.
    [22:02] <Spheniscine> Hrr.
    [22:02] <Spheniscine> Yeah doesn't say so on my char sheet.
    [22:02] <DracoDei_> What is your Wisdom Modifier.
    [22:02] <DracoDei_> ?
    [22:02] <Spheniscine> +3
    [22:03] <DracoDei_> Because the DC is 12+Wisdom Modifier+Misc. Bonuses.
    [22:03] <DracoDei_> Ok then...
    [22:03] <DracoDei_> dice 1d20
    [22:03] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 20; Total: 20.
    [22:03] <DracoDei_> It made its save.
    [22:03] <Spheniscine> Awr.
    [22:03] <DracoDei_> Roll 2d6, then divide by 2.
    [22:04] <DracoDei_> roll 1d100
    [22:04] <DracoDei_> dice 1d100
    [22:04] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 90; Total: 90.
    [22:04] <Spheniscine> dice 2d6
    [22:04] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 1:6; Total: 7.
    [22:04] <Spheniscine> 3.5
    [22:04] <DracoDei_> Ok, it takes 3.5 points of damage.
    [22:04] <DracoDei_> ZYBORG!
    [22:04] <WagzBot> Your friendly neighborhood robot spider.
    [22:06] <Spheniscine> "Kill it! Kill bad thoughts with FIRE!..."
    [22:06] <Zyborg22> ((How far can I throw stuff, and does Alchemist's Fire count as magical?))
    [22:06] <DracoDei_> ((Doesn't count as magical, and that should be listed in the entry for purchasing Alchemist's fire, or under "splash weapons".))
    [22:07] <Zyborg22> ((Oh. So there's no point in throwing it at the creature, then?))
    [22:07] <DracoDei_> ((Correct))
    [22:07] <Zyborg22> In that case, I moved closer to it.
    [22:07] <Zyborg22> And wait.
    [22:09] <DracoDei_> DIRELDA!
    [22:10] <Direlda> ((I'm not sure if I can do anything... I'm rechecking to see if my bow is simply masterwork, or if it is magical...))
    [22:12] <DracoDei_> ((Well, depending on what you spent your money on last level up...))
    [22:12] <DracoDei_> ((Prior to that, it was just masterwork.))
    [22:12] <Direlda> ((so yeah... nothing I can do))
    [22:13] <DracoDei_> ((Well... that is no fun... have a bonus for-this-fight-only oil of *Magic Weapon*... you spend your standard action this round applying it... do something with your Move action, or pass.))
    [22:14] <Direlda> ((I pass))
    [22:14] <DracoDei_> ((Ok, its turn...)
    [22:15] <DracoDei_> Your concept of where it is flattens out thinner, without becoming any wider or thicker.
    [22:16] <DracoDei_> dice 1d20
    [22:16] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 1; Total: 1.
    [22:16] <Spheniscine> Teehee.
    [22:16] <DracoDei_> It seems to reach out for Spheniscine with surprising gentleness... and completely misses.
    [22:17] <Spheniscine> "Ooh, missed me! Missed me!"
    [22:17] <DracoDei_> ROBIN!
    [22:18] <RobinFiredrake> I cast color spray.
    [22:18] <RobinFiredrake> "Ta- err... Se-... Think the rainbow! >=U "
    [22:19] <DracoDei_> dice 1d20
    [22:19] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 20; Total: 20.
    [22:19] <DracoDei_> It finds your Rainbow mildly interesting... but nothing more than that.
    [22:20] <DracoDei_> SPHENISCINE!
    [22:20] <RobinFiredrake> I got a CRITICAL and it did nothing?
    [22:20] <Spheniscine> No... that's Draco's roll.
    [22:20] <Spheniscine> Wait...
    [22:20] <Spheniscine> Oh right.
    [22:21] <DracoDei_> Yeah... that was its saving throw.
    [22:21] <RobinFiredrake> Oh.
    [22:21] <RobinFiredrake> Well, then yeah
    [22:21] <Spheniscine> Cone spells do not require an attack roll, but the target gets a saving throw.
    [22:21] <Spheniscine> Do my regular maneuvers work against it? Brick, Unlucky Raincloud.
    [22:22] <Spheniscine> Do those count as magical?
    [22:22] <DracoDei_> Technically both do since they are supernatural.
    [22:22] <DracoDei_> I am somewhat iffy about the brick, but technically it should work.
    [22:22] <Spheniscine> Ah...
    [22:22] <DracoDei_> With a 50% miss chance...
    [22:23] <Spheniscine> Unlucky Raincloud then.
    [22:23] <Spheniscine> DC 15.
    [22:23] <DracoDei_> That also has a 50% miss chance, but OK.
    [22:23] <DracoDei_> dice 1d20
    [22:23] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 1; Total: 1.
    [22:23] <DracoDei_> dice 1d100
    [22:23] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 19; Total: 19.
    [22:23] <DracoDei_> Misses due to miss chance.
    [22:23] <Spheniscine> Awr.
    [22:24] <DracoDei_> You have a move action remaining if you want to do something with it... or 5' step... you do sense that you are within its reach.
    [22:25] <Spheniscine> 5' step for flanking possibilities?
    [22:25] <Spheniscine> Like that?
    [22:26] <Spheniscine> Or does that provoke AoO? (Not sure about the AoO rules)
    [22:26] <DracoDei_> Zyborg might have a hard time getting to the opposite side this turn, but it wouldn't provoke and AoO.
    [22:26] <DracoDei_> *an
    [22:26] <DracoDei_> 5 steps don't provoke unless something very odd is going on.
    [22:27] <Spheniscine> Ah.
    [22:27] <DracoDei_> ZYBORG!
    [22:27] <WagzBot> Your friendly neighborhood robot spider.
    [22:27] <DracoDei_> ((That is most of the point of 5' steps until you get to levels where you can attack more than once per turn.))
    [22:28] <Spheniscine> ((Mm. To get to flanking positions or such))
    [22:28] <Zyborg22> dice 1d20
    [22:28] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 1; Total: 1.
    [22:28] <RobinFiredrake> Ouch.
    [22:28] <Zyborg22> Ok, I miss.
    [22:28] <RobinFiredrake> Critical failure. Now you know how I feel, Zy o.=.o
    [22:28] <Spheniscine> lol
    [22:29] <Zyborg22> I guess that ends it.
    [22:29] <Zyborg22> The turn, I mena.
    [22:29] <Zyborg22> *mean
    [22:30] <DracoDei_> DIRELDA!
    [22:31] * Direlda rapidly fires two arrows at the monster
    [22:31] <Direlda> dice 1d20
    [22:31] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 1; Total: 1.
    [22:31] <Direlda> dicd 1d20
    [22:31] <Direlda> dice 1d20
    [22:31] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 6; Total: 6.
    [22:31] <Direlda> 6+6=12
    [22:31] <Direlda> ...
    [22:32] <DracoDei_> Miss.
    [22:32] <DracoDei_> It reaches out towards Spheniscine again.
    [22:32] <DracoDei_> dice 1d20
    [22:32] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 8; Total: 8.
    [22:33] <DracoDei_> Miss. (since I know Spheniscine has an AC greater than 14...)
    [22:33] <DracoDei_> ROBIN!
    [22:33] <DracoDei_> Oh... wait!
    [22:34] <Spheniscine> "Stop trying to touch me you pervert!"
    [22:35] <RobinFiredrake> Hmm?
    [22:35] <DracoDei_> (Never mind, proceed... thought it might have hit after all...)
    [22:35] <DracoDei_> (But it didn't)
    [22:35] <RobinFiredrake> So you said I can use an action to turn an item magical?
    [22:37] <DracoDei_> Wha?
    [22:38] <DracoDei_> Well, you could cast *Light* on something...
    [22:38] <RobinFiredrake> Oh. Sorry, misunderstood yet again
    [22:38] <DracoDei_> Don't know what else you might have prepared that would fall under than description...
    [22:38] <RobinFiredrake> Don't have light prepared...
    [22:39] <Direlda> ((I actually need to be going soon ^^; my fiancee wants me to go dancing with her))
    [22:40] <DracoDei_> ((Ok... this fight has had a lot of misses so far...))
    [22:40] <RobinFiredrake> ((Would mage hand effect it in any way?
    [22:42] <DracoDei_> ((Technically? Maybe... would have to check the spell description... but since it is only 5 pounds of force, I don't think it would do MUCH.))
    [22:42] <RobinFiredrake> (Would something launched by mage hand at it effect it?)
    [22:43] <DracoDei_> ((Yeah... one non-magical, unattended object... so no to both.))
    [22:43] <DracoDei_> ((Since to do anything to it, an object would have to be magical.))
    [22:44] <RobinFiredrake> (I was wondering if mage hand being used on it would make it magical for the duration)
    [22:44] <DracoDei_> ((No.))
    [22:44] <RobinFiredrake> (Alright...)
    [22:44] <RobinFiredrake> (Daze?)
    [22:45] <DracoDei_> ((Wrong type...))
    [22:45] <Direlda> ((well, I have to go now - bye all))
    [22:45] <DracoDei_> ((Bye Direlda...))
    [22:46] == Direlda [[email protected]] has quit [Quit: May God bless you and may a star shine down upon your path.]
    [22:46] <RobinFiredrake> (Bye. And, if I can't use that, I'm pretty sure I can't touch it)
    [22:46] <DracoDei_> ((Yes, but you don't need to touch it to effect it...))
    [22:47] <RobinFiredrake> (Not what I meant. Meant cannot effect it. None of my spells actually deal damage or whatnot)
    [22:47] <DracoDei_> (Try an Illusion...)
    [22:49] <RobinFiredrake> (Can I use silent image to make the illusion of a mage trying to study it, off to the side, say, 15 feet?)
    [22:50] <DracoDei_> (Ok, roll another Knowledge(The Planes) check...)
    [22:50] <RobinFiredrake> dice 1d20
    [22:50] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 12; Total: 12.
    [22:50] <RobinFiredrake> 17
    [22:52] <DracoDei_> (You realize it probably perceives you mostly the same way you preceive it... you might as well try to fool a dog with an illusion of a steak right in front of it when you can't include the element of smell.... something without a mind OTOH...))
    [22:53] <RobinFiredrake> (Was trying to make something that looked thoughtful... Probably not the best. Can I create an illusory copy of myself?)
    [22:55] <DracoDei_> (Yes...)
    [22:56] <RobinFiredrake> (Would that work? Or does it only sense thought?)
    [22:57] <DracoDei_> (It doesn't ONLY sense thought, otherwise that spell would be completely useless against it.)
    [22:57] <RobinFiredrake> (Alright then. So, a decoy. I cast that.)
    [22:58] <DracoDei_> It completely ignores it since it knows it can't be an actual creature.
    [22:58] <Spheniscine> Awr.
    [22:58] <DracoDei_> SPHENISCINE!
    [22:58] <RobinFiredrake> Drat.
    [22:59] <DracoDei_> ((Actually, Robin has a move action left, but we will do that simultaniously with Sphen's turn.)
    [22:59] <Spheniscine> I'm out of useful maneuvers I think?
    [22:59] <RobinFiredrake> I will move back from it..
    [23:00] <Spheniscine> I got the feat to reprepare them...
    [23:00] <DracoDei_> Actually, you aren't out of useful maneuvers...
    [23:01] <Spheniscine> What else do I have? Pie to the Face? But can it be blinded?
    [23:01] <DracoDei_> Everyday Arsenal.
    [23:02] <Spheniscine> Ah...
    [23:02] <Spheniscine> Forgot that it made weapons magical... thought it only made it cold iron.
    [23:03] <Spheniscine> "Silver, Magical and Chaotic"
    [23:03] <Spheniscine> Oops... hehe. *blushes*
    [23:03] <Spheniscine> OK. I'll use that then.
    [23:03] <DracoDei_> The Frying Pan is always Cold Iron...
    [23:03] <Spheniscine> Ah.
    [23:03] <DracoDei_> I would 5 step south, but go ahead and roll your attack...
    [23:04] <Spheniscine> dice 1d20
    [23:04] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 2; Total: 2.
    [23:04] <Spheniscine> (5)
    [23:04] <Spheniscine> Ew.
    [23:04] <DracoDei_> You drop the mallet(free), draw the pan(Move), activate Everyday Arsenal(Swift), 5 step (special), and attack(Standard).
    [23:04] <DracoDei_> You miss.
    [23:04] <DracoDei_> ZYBORG!
    [23:04] <WagzBot> Your friendly neighborhood robot spider.
    [23:07] <Zyborg22> Zyborg22: « 1d20+10 = 1 + 10 = 11 » Zyborg22: Looks like I miss again.
    [23:07] <DracoDei_> Yep
    [23:10] <Zyborg22> I think I'll stay there for now.
    [23:14] <DracoDei_> Direlda edges closer and double-fires again...
    [23:14] <DracoDei_> dice 2d20
    [23:14] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 5:12; Total: 17.
    [23:14] <DracoDei_> dice 1d100
    [23:14] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 28; Total: 28.
    [23:15] <DracoDei_> Goes straight through it without effect...
    [23:15] <Spheniscine> (Huh funny, both Nodwick and OOTS have arcs that involve a gladitorial arena)
    [23:16] <DracoDei_> It 5' steps south and reaches out to Spheniscine again...
    [23:16] <DracoDei_> dice 1d20
    [23:16] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 7; Total: 7.
    [23:16] <DracoDei_> Miss.
    [23:16] <DracoDei_> ROBIN!
    [23:17] <RobinFiredrake> I can't do anything o.=.o I'll try another illusion I guess...
    [23:17] <RobinFiredrake> Ghost sound, growling behind it.
    [23:19] <DracoDei_> dice 1d20
    [23:19] <WagzBot> Results of die roll(s): 3; Total: 3.
    [23:20] <DracoDei_> Where exactly is the growling coming from? IE exactly how far on the opposite side of it from you?
    [23:20] <RobinFiredrake> About 5 or 10 feet
    [23:22] == Remi [[email protected]] has quit [Quit: "Before He found me? I was dead. Now?...well...heh. Now I'm a zombie hunter. . . " - ?]
    [23:22] <DracoDei_> No effect...
    [23:22] <DracoDei_> Ok, I think this has devolved into an excercise in dice rolling...
    [23:23] <RobinFiredrake> True enough.
    [23:23] <Spheniscine> lol
    [23:23] <DracoDei_> And frustration...
    [23:23] <RobinFiredrake> And prepared the wrong things.
    [23:23] <Spheniscine> Yeah 50% miss chance is brutal.
    [23:25] <DracoDei_> Yes, yes it is.
    [23:25] <DracoDei_> Let me link you to the entry for these things...
    [23:25] <DracoDei_> http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57203
    [23:27] <RobinFiredrake> Reading
    [23:28] <Spheniscine> Interesting.
    [23:28] <RobinFiredrake> Hmm...
    [23:28] <RobinFiredrake> Is interesting.
    [23:29] <DracoDei_> So if it had been a Huge dragon's roar from 300 feet away, it would have worked...
    [23:29] <DracoDei_> Because it's Mindsense only goes out to 200 feet.
    [23:29] <RobinFiredrake> I didn't know I could go that far, nor that loud.
    [23:30] <DracoDei_> Maybe you can't... I haven't looked at the spell...
    [23:31] <DracoDei_> Yeah... you are correct.
    [23:31] <RobinFiredrake> So I could do nothing?
    [23:31] <DracoDei_> No.
    [23:31] <RobinFiredrake> What could I have done?
    [23:32] <DracoDei_> You could have created the noise of a small catapult stone impacting nearby... that wouldn
    [23:32] <DracoDei_> 't be something with a mind...
    [23:32] <RobinFiredrake> Ah.
    [23:32] <DracoDei_> Or with the Silent Image, you could have created a fake Wall of Stone or Wall of Iron...
    [23:32] <RobinFiredrake> Mmm.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-07-30 at 10:36 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I like it... not SURE about the Spasm ability... as a matter of personal preference some people might go for inducing epileptic attacks or some such make it do stunning/paralysis and mental ability score drain/damage... more about the central nervous system than the peripheral that way...
    Well, thought of that, but that'd be making it a bit powerful and otherwise it has no real attacks except for possessing folks.

Also, just on a quick glance, shouldn't Speed of Thought give the Elder elemental a +11 initiative modifier?
    Speed of thought just increases a being's movement by 10 feet.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Does mindsight detect creatures that have immunity to mind-affecting effects, like intelligent undead and constructs?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    Does mindsight detect creatures that have immunity to mind-affecting effects, like intelligent undead and constructs?
    If they are radiating thoughts I'd say so. The elemental isn't making them do it, it's just picking up on what is being broadcasted.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, there must be two feats by that name (one of the very few down sides of OGL). The one I am thinking of is from page 150 of Liber Bestarius (a book with a great writing style, and formatting conventions (every entry has a section for suitability as a PC... even if just to say "None" and most have plot hooks listed)). Basically lets you sub your Int for Dex for Initiative purposes (which is only useful compared to Improved Initiative in rather rare cases... although most dragons could use it eventually).
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2007-09-18 at 02:04 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Basically lets you sub your Int for Dex for Initiative purposes (which is only useful compared to Improved Initiative in rather rare cases... although most dragons could use it eventually).
    There may be an official feat that does that... sounds familiar.