Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Alternate Creature Interpretations (Feel free to add your own additions)

I have a tendency to play and have dwarves act like the ones from Dwarf Fortress. Having the racial boons/banes of slightly crazy, slightly OCD, and slightly alcoholic, but with tendencies to create insanely complex machinery, bloody and strangely strict work-based cultures, and fortresses able to be defended unto infinity from below as well as above. Unless it falls to ruin due to the crazy little b******* and their idiotic schemes/random invading siege mosnters.

Quote Originally Posted by Xania View Post
    Yes, it sounds quite harmless, can't be sure though.

Is not very much but drow are the disfigured ones, driders are the real creatures of Lolth.
    I like this, I'm using this. Especially if it turns out the Chitines are what happens to surface elves who get in Lloth's good graces, and the Shunned are what the drow become if they fall out of it even more. But what would come of the Arachnoloths?
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Black for normal/uncaring/bored. Purple for in love. Blue for being a jerk/sarcastic bum.

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

For some strange reason I have a severe reaction to sunlight when it hits my eyes, no clue why or what causes it so yeah...
    The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: Alternate Creature Interpretations (Feel free to add your own additions)

Quote Originally Posted by Aniikinis View Post
    I have a tendency to play and have dwarves act like the ones from Dwarf Fortress. Having the racial boons/banes of slightly crazy, slightly OCD, and slightly alcoholic, but with tendencies to create insanely complex machinery, bloody and strangely strict work-based cultures, and fortresses able to be defended unto infinity from below as well as above. Unless it falls to ruin due to the crazy little b******* and their idiotic schemes/random invading siege mosnters.

I like this, I'm using this. Especially if it turns out the Chitines are what happens to surface elves who get in Lloth's good graces, and the Shunned are what the drow become if they fall out of it even more. But what would come of the Arachnoloths?

I like the added content, it's much better now ^^
    For now i only can think in Arachnoloths as drow who became worthy to serve Lolth again in the afterlife.
    Last edited by Xania; 2019-03-04 at 06:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flumphburger View Post
    Let's see, I've got eusocial goblinoids, lawful good mummies, mind flayers who eat dreams instead of brains, Gigeresque elves, and dire bats who act like pilotfish, among others.

If any of these sound interesting, I can talk about them at length.
    I momentarily mixed up pilotfish and remoras. That made me think of bats that attach themselves to dragons and clean the dragons' skins for food.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

What i said is absurd, making Arachnoloths from Lolth's favorite driders is easier and more logical.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Also mindflayers swapping places with grimlocks probably is better than with minotaurs.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ThriceHonored View Post
    So tell me more about these dream flayers....
    In its usual state, the illithid is literally indescribable. It resides in a realm in which "space" as we understand it doesn't exist, and interacts with the known planes only in that the dreams of other creatures are accessible from it. There are many life forms in this realm, and odd things happen when they wander into our dreams, but illithids are probably the only ones who do so intentionally. The rhyme and reason behind when and where they feed has yet to be understood, but places where the influence of the gods are stronger are much safer for mortal sleepers in general.

Illithid feeding tends to start with one person, and then spread to all sentient beings nearby. The theft of their dreams causing a slowly mounting insanity, that typically ends with mass deaths if uninterrupted. But worse than that is illithid reproduction. It starts with a dream of violation; something being implanted into you. Then, over the coming months, paranoia, psychosis, and constantly expanding amnesia, as the noetic larva consumes your mind. Eventually, the victim falls unconscious, and begins a physical transformation into the octopus-faced humanoid we all know and love; at this point, its mind is able to act as a gateway between the Prime Material and the illithid realm, and others can come through - resuming their Prime Material octopus-faced forms in the process - to protect it during this vulnerable period.

Illithids also sometimes implant their dream-larvae strategically, so that the ceremorphosizing juvenile can act as a portal to send a strike team into the Prime Material. These teams are typically sent to either undermine religious authorities and leave local populations more vulnerable to feeding, cause social upheaval that results in more interesting and emotionally rich dreams, or to sabatoge any sort of magical research that could lead to someone being able to strike back against the illithids. The "mind blast" is a weaponized version of the illithid's feeding method; when used from within the Prime Material, it simply causes psychic chaos within a small area that can induce confusion or unconsciousness. The brainsucking attack is refluffed as a mind meld type thing that causes partial brain death, leaving the victim a vegetable. When it thinks it might be killed, a physically manifested illithid will use plane shift to return to its native realm, from which it cannot return without another larval gateway.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Since the mythological gorgons have been described as having tusks and/or snouts, I might make the orcs worship a gorgon goddess or three.

When in doubt, Hail Dread Cthulhu.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.