New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Wild IC

Glim, make a Perception check or Investigation check (your choice) as you inspect the door. Meanwhile, as Elmir points out the mortarless section of wall, it becomes apparent to everyone.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

2. - Top - End - #422

Glim comes to the door in the back, inspecting it. It looks to be of a similarly hard and dark metal as the door you entered through, and you would guess just as thick. That's all you see in the dim lighting and with the pounding headache you have post-hypnosis.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

3. - Top - End - #423
    Dwarf in the Playground

Faye crouches next to the remnants of the ooze, her brow furrowed. Was this creature placed here by the cultists? As a kind of guard?

Then, why did it attack us though we guessed the proper watchword for the door?

She muttered those last words under her breath. Strange.

Spoiler: Investigation check
    Show

Faye investigates the slimy remnants. Maybe she'll find a useful clue about the origin and/or purpose of the ooze.

(1d20+0)[17]
    Last edited by Rogue227; 2019-09-07 at 11:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #424

As Faye investigates the ooze, she finds a small mass of greyish matter about the size of a softball connected to various thin grey tendrils. Pulling it out, she recognizes the structure as a brain of some sort. This ooze must have been intelligent enough to a least recognize cult robes and not attack cultists, or even know the individual members of the cult by sight.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Colossus in the Playground

Faye, is that safe to touch? Rebecca asked looking over concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Glim leaves the door to go see the section of the wall that Elmir found. "I'll try to pull it out with a mage hand to avoid springing anything nasty." He then casts mage hand, waits for everyone to stand back a bit (as does he), and uses it to pull out one of the bricks (assuming no one stops him).

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

As Glim pulls on the bricks, Elmir has his weapon ready. "Careful," he warns, although he's clearly happier the path be cleared from a distance. He is very much not comfortable, and those near him can hear him mutter a curse about the walls.

8. - Top - End - #428

The mage hand pulls at the section of wall, and with a hideous sound of grinding stone, it moves aside, as if on a hinge, by about 6 inches.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Glim looks to see what was behind the section of wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception if needed: (1d20)[14]

10. - Top - End - #430

Glim peers back behind the wall, seeing what looks to be a cramped corridor of slick rough stone about 30 feet long, at the end of which a dim red light glows from what is presumably a larger chamber.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Dwarf in the Playground

Faye abandons the remains of the ooze and stands up. "I'm fine," she smiles at Rebecca.

Noticing the others' focus of attention, she joins them at the wall. "What do you see?" she whispers.

Back in a state of alertness, she also checks over her shoulder to the door they entered through. Are there any signs they're being followed?

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show

(1d20+4)[14]

12. - Top - End - #432

As you look back, a faint sound of sewer sludge splashing and the dim glow of lantern light flickers against the wall. Something is coming towards you.

13. - Top - End - #433

Get behind me! Rebecca let out loudly.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Glim takes a position toward the back of the group (with forward now being defined as the door they came through) with a clear view of the door they came through.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Someone's approaching!" Faye hisses urgently, retreating behind Rebecca as prompted. She eyes the narrow gap that Glim opened in the wall, trying to assess if it is possible to squeeze through. Quickly, that is.

"Can we get in there?"

Taking a deep breath, she closes her eyes for a moment. Sol, light my way.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

For clarification: Faye moves behind Rebecca in the sense that Rebecca's now standing between Faye and the door through which the party entered the room. If possible, Faye stays close to Glim, Elmir and the gap in the wall.

In addition, Faye renews Sanctuary on herself: Any creature targeting her with an attack or a harmful spell must first make a Wisdom saving throw (DC 12). On a failed save, the creature must choose a new target or lose the attack or spell.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Elmir reacts as the rest of the party, falling in between Rebecca and Glim. "We should be able to fit," he replies, "although I don't think we can take the sentry with us."

17. - Top - End - #437

As you scramble into defensive positions, the lamplight glows warmer and warmer until it illuminates the shadow of a hooded humanoid figure. As they stand on the opposite end of the door, you can't see anything except their shadow. A voice like nails on a chalkboard, raspy and nasal, rings sharply through the air. "Who are you and what are you doing down here?" The voice seems masculine, yet not that of a particularly bulky fellow, this inference supported by the slim shadow you see.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

"We could ask the same of you," Elmir growls back.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Yeah!" Glim says, folding his arms and trying to look tough.

20. - Top - End - #440

Rebecca makes sure to draw herself up to her full height.

21. - Top - End - #441

The lantern-bearer comes into view. He appears to be a man dressed in thick knitted black robes, the hood pulled down to expose a mop of black hair and a thin sheen of sweat across a pale brow. The man doesn't look to be the most athletic, but by the way he clutches a well-worn and dog-eared leather bound book at his side, he looks to have some arcane capacity. "Do you serve the Mother of Goats?" he asks in a nasal tone.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Dwarf in the Playground

Faye steps forward, siding with Rebecca. She looks the lantern-bearer straight in the eye and begins to speak.

"Of course - we don't." Her voice is calm and determind, her gaze firm.

"We're here to put an end to any evil worship of Shub-N'varoth and guide those errant souls partaking in it back to the path of righteousness."

23. - Top - End - #443

The lantern-bearer looks a bit suspicious. "You're new in town, are you? Why should I believe the cult simply didn't send for reinfocements?"

24. - Top - End - #444
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"I'd say it'd be a bit unusual for cult reinforcements to kill their guardian slimy thingy." Glim declares and points out the remnants of the ooze.

25. - Top - End - #445

And gods, was that thing a bitch to put down. Becca snarked.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Dwarf in the Playground

As her fellows speak, Faye observes the man with the lantern carefully.

Spoiler: Skill checks
    Show

Does some detail in his appearance or bearing give away a hint on his intentions?
    Do his facial expressions or body language imply that he is lying or hiding something?
    Does Faye derive anything else concerning the man's character or current emotional state?

Perception: (1d20+4)[7]
    Insight: (1d20+4)[17]

27. - Top - End - #447

The man looks almost relieved. "Oh, good. You can't trust anyone these days, you know." He takes a small step into the room. "Corigulus Arniatroph Malor at your service- you may address me as Cori if you so please." He bows lightly in a gesture of respect. "I live just outside of town, and I've been troubled by this... activity that's been going on recently. When you arrived, I thought it would be best if I intervened and made sure you weren't trouble. I apologize for my initial hostility, but you can never be too careful..."

He turns about, looking at all of you. "So what brings you to Cadmoor? How did you hear about their plight?"

Faye, he looks to be telling the honest and genuine truth about his intentions and emotions.However, he is still guarded, not necessarily hiding anything but not too keen on sharing all too much.
    Last edited by SunderedWorldDM; 2019-10-15 at 08:26 AM.

28. - Top - End - #448

We were sent by the temple of harmony. Becca remarks.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Dwarf in the Playground

"And we appreciate any help you have to offer," Faye adds.

"What do you know about this place? Have you been down here before?"

30. - Top - End - #450

The man shrugs. "Occasionally, I have been here to keep an eye out for anything... particularly unsavory. As of yet, I've heard only rumors and whispers- I don't mean to cause you undue alarm, but I believe there's going to be some sort of an event occurring in town during the rising of the red star. Would you have any clue what that might be?"

You all know that the rising of the red star is an astrological effect that occurs once every two years. Its next occurrence is in two days.