Default Re: Masters of the Wild IC

"I'll take the first watch, you all rest for a bit, I feel fine."

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d20+2)[3]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Caspar feels he owes it to the others to take a watch tonight, as he hadn't done so the previous night. "It would be untoward of me to not take part of the watch tonight. I will go second, unless anyone objects."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"I'll take second watch, then."

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20)[20]

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

As you bed down for the night, Caspar decides to take 3rd watch instead of 2nd and Glim takes the rest after Ravenor.

As all but Ravenor climb into their bedrolls, smoke flows gently out of the pleasantly warm cavern as the small fire dwindles. The warmth against your back feels so good, you eyelids are so heavy, the cool air from outside is soothing and whispering of deep and comfortable sleep- you drift off into sweet and blissful dreams.

Glim wakes up around midnight, wondering why Ravenor didn't wake him up an hour ago. But when you see his sleeping form, thumb in mouth and a look of comfort on his face, a smile comes to your face. You drape your small cloak over his form as you keep watch through the darkness, the sliver of moonlight illuminating as your keen eyes roam the darkness. Nothing but a few woodland creatures wander around the small cave, and after a couple hours, you wake up Caspar to take his watch.

Caspar sits at watch.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Whismur, make your Perception roll.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

5. - Top - End - #65

As Caspar sits in the early morning, when the sun has not yet awoken, when he s alone with his thoughts and the crackle of firelight, he hears sounds of twigs snapping in the forest ahead. He snaps to attention and looks out into the darkness.

He spots what appears to be a large, rotund creature walking on all fours, a coat of feathers over its body around a decidedly avian face. This creature is smaller, as even with its bulk it stand barely up to your chin at most. The creature looks at you with deep brown eyes and coos once.

What would you like to do?

Spoiler: DC 15 Nature
    Show
    This is indeed an immature owlbear. It's not very dangerous, but there might be a mother to contend with. It's possible to train this to make it a mount, ally, pet, or beast of burden, but that would only further aggravate the mother.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Caspar holds still as an unwelcmed visitor comes into their camp. He didn't see any reason to be violent with a beast which, despite its odd appearance, seemed to only be curious. No doubt guided here by the fire, he surmised. He stood up slowly and kept his body small and low to the ground, not wanting to startle the creature. He walked over towards the creature equally slowly, holding up his empty hands. "It's okay, I won't hurt you.
    But I don't think you should be here."
    His voice was smooth, and the tones were flat and focused. He hoped his body language was enough to encourage it to leave, but if he could get close enough, some magic would be more than enough to get the message across for him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Animal Handling; (1d20)[6] to convince the creature to leave peacefully, but I still have Hypnotic Gaze in my back pocket if things go south.
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

7. - Top - End - #67

Despite your intentions, the young creature's eyes widen as it comes closer to the campsite. Despite your tone and body language, this bear-owl hybrid comes closer before putting four paws on your chest and staring at your face, a small tongue emerging from the beak to lick you. It goes back to all fours as it begins to whimper, looking back out into the darkness. The whimpering begins to increase in volume. At this point, most of you can hear the whimpering as you begin to wake up.

What would you like to do?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"What's going on?" Glim groans, then he stands up and looks at the source of the noise.He realizes what it is and sees it whimpering and glancing back into the forest. "There's something out there, either mama owlbear or something else. We need to quite this little beast down." He fishes some dried meat from his trail rations and offers it to the creature while gently shushing and trying to calm the creature.
    Last edited by Diceomancer; 2018-11-08 at 01:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tek blearily opens his eyes, expecting to take his watch only to find the others waking and a strangely feathered beast whimpering next to Caspar. As Glim says something about quieting it down, Tek reaches for his bow. He fumbles with an arrow before realizing what the smaller gnome meant and sheepishly sets his weapons aside. "Y'said there's more?" he offers as he starts to stand up out of his bedroll. "I dunno if I hear 'nything..."

Show
    Perception: Voluntary disadvantage for not only just waking up, but the whimpering of the young and the sounds of others waking up.
    (1d20+5)[18] or (1d20+5)[15]
    Last edited by MintyNinja; 2018-11-08 at 02:26 PM.
    Games GMed
    The Vanstermen: OOC - IC

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by MintyNinja View Post
    Tek blearily opens his eyes, expecting to take his watch only to find the others waking and a strangely feathered beast whimpering next to Caspar. As Glim says something about quieting it down, Tek reaches for his bow. He fumbles with an arrow before realizing what the smaller gnome meant and sheepishly sets his weapons aside. "Y'said there's more?" he offers as he starts to stand up out of his bedroll. "I dunno if I hear 'nything..."

Show
    Perception: Voluntary disadvantage for not only just waking up, but the whimpering of the young and the sounds of others waking up.
    [roll0] or [roll1]
    Very far off, you barely hear the sounds of something large trampling through the woods at a meandering pace.You have about two minutes.

Glim, make an Animal Handling check.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Oh, wait aaaHUAA-" Tek's interrupted by a yawn, "Ahem, right. Uh, somethin's comin'. Bit big, tramplin' through the brush. I'd say a couple minutes out at this pace, but that can change damn fast, I think." As if hearing his own words from someone else the realization of their situation dawns on him and his eyes go wide. He picks up his bow again and says, "Uh, Glim, you able to take this cub on outta here?"
    Games GMed

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ravenor wakes up, looking at the cub near Caspar. He tries to focus on his surrounding, trying to see if he can hear or see something else. He stands up. "Look sharp people, whatever might come, we have to be ready".

Show
    Perception: (1d20+2)[5]

13. - Top - End - #73

As you extend the jerky, Glim, the cub immediately snaps it out of you hands with its beak, then stands on its hind legs and moves its front two up and down with a joyous expression on its face- a happy dance. It lets out a large coo into the dark woods as it puts its paws on your low shoulders. You hear Tek's cry of alarm right before a mournful sound echoes through the woods, one a combination of a bear's roar and a owl's cry. The cub freezes, climbs off Glim, and looks back into the dark woods before turning back to Glim with a curious expression.

Ravenor catches none of this while he wipes the sleep from his eyes and picks up his trusty blade.

Spoiler: Nature DC 12
    Show
    It seems the owlbear cub has taken a liking to Glim, which may help or hinder you when the mother arrives (the creature who let out the second call). If you had any intentions to take the beast as a pet, Glim would be the one it looks up to the most among you until someone cares for it better or for longer.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

"What is it?" Faye straightens up to an elbow and looks about the camp.

As she sees Tek and Ravenor up in alarm and armed, she jumps to her feet in a smooth movement, taking a defensive stance. Then she notices Glim and Caspar at the cave entrance, facing the source of the whimpering sound which must have roused her from her sleep. She relaxes, her face brightening. "How cute!" she exclaims in delight. "Look, Glim, it really likes you!"

The sudden alien call cutting through the night hushes her instantly.

"Whatever that was, it sounded close," she whispers after a pause. "We should wake the others." She kneels down to softly shake up everyone who is still sleeping.
    Last edited by Rogue227; 2018-11-09 at 02:23 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Colossus in the Playground

Rebecca wakes bearily, putting a hand to her head as she steadies herself.

What.... what happened? She lets out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

"We have a visitor." She nods over her shoulder towards the pup.

"He seems quite harmless. But there's something out in the woods sounding less pleasant. And it's coming."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Elmir has woken up, but has been silent so far. "Can't tell if that was a bear, or an owl, or what." He peers into the darkness toward the sound.

Show
    I'm assuming nature to recognize the sound: (1d20+1)[6]
    and perception to potentially spot mama: (1d20+5)[21] or (1d20+5)[16]

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Elmir has woken up, but has been silent so far. "Can't tell if that was a bear, or an owl, or what." He peers into the darkness toward the sound.

Show
    I'm assuming nature to recognize the sound: [roll0]
    and perception to potentially spot mama: [roll1] or [roll2]
    The cry is unfamiliar, but you definitely hear it echo through the forest, with a sound of large feet trundling at a brisker pace. You have about a minute now at most.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Impatient as always, Tek feels the the rush of a possible fight coming on and decides to set himself up before being ambushed. He takes his bow and quiver, as well as one of his shortswords, and flies up into the branches of a tree overlooking their cave-camp.

Show
    I'm just positioning in case this goes poorly. No readied Actions as of yet.
    Games GMed

20. - Top - End - #80

As you try and dart out of the way of the cub, it makes a playful swipe at you, seemingly without hostile intentions, as it lets out a coo. It looks at you with mirth in its eyes.

Meanwhile, another low and alien cry echoes though the dark woods... 50 seconds.

Spoiler: Cub's swipe
    Show
    (1d20+3)[15]
    1 damage on a hit

21. - Top - End - #81
    Colossus in the Playground

Rebecca will attempt to put on her shield, as well as her armor if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Faye kneels beside her sleeping place and produces several torches from her backpack. She moves over to the campfire and holds them into it in order to enkindle them. "Maybe fire will keep it off."

She passes on a burning torch to anyone willing to accept. Keeping one for herself, she goes about setting up any remaining torches in the ground in front of the cave entrance.

"Glim, can you throw a treat to lure the pup away? If it's mommy furbird approaching, she probably won't bear anyone around her baby."

Show

Faye has ten torches and will take as many from her backpack as she can handle at once.

Hopefully, the ground in front of the cave is soft enough to set up the torches... if not, Faye will simply lay them out in a circle.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"I'll try, but odds are it comes right back here afterward." Glim takes out another piece of dried meat, shows it to the cub, and then tosses it as far as his tiny arms will throw. He then casts mage armor on himself. "If that doesn't work, I can try cub noise illusions to lure away the mother, but I'll have to go out into the woods a good distance myself if I want it to not notice this place."

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Diceomancer View Post
    "I'll try, but odds are it comes right back here afterward." Glim takes out another piece of dried meat, shows it to the cub, and then tosses it as far as his tiny arms will throw. He then casts mage armor on himself. "If that doesn't work, I can try cub noise illusions to lure away the mother, but I'll have to go out into the woods a good distance myself if I want it to not notice this place."
    As you expect, it goes out to fetch the meat, then comes right back and puts its paws on your shoulders, licking your face. Faye, the ground has been moistened by the recent rain and is most certainly supple enough to drive torches into the ground. You spend about 20 seconds to drive the torches into the ground and lighting them. The snapping of twigs grows closer, and another cry echoes through the forest.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing faye's work, Elmir pulls out wood from the area (presumably from anything used to tend any campfires) and casts druidcraft until it manages to stay lit. "Glim, see if you can make it really happy. At least since it won't leave."

Show
    I haven't seen it mentioned, but I'm assuming the characters have brought up their names by now.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Caspar assists with lighting the sticks, with a simple fire spell that he had long since mastered. As the noises come closer to the group, he makes sure to keep his distance to allow others towards the front.

27. - Top - End - #87

At the edge of the clearing, Tek spots a lumbering figure, easily twice the height of the cub, charging at a quick pace through the trees, bounding over the roots and rocks of the forest below. Meanwhile, the ring of fire has just been set up between you and the mother outside. You have maybe ten seconds before it comes up to the ring, if that.

Any final actions before the mama owlbear approaches?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tek tries his best to stay hidden in the branches while also nocking an an arrow to his longbow.

Show
    Action: Hide. Stealth Roll (1d20+5)[22]

Not going to fire or ready an action, but if things look like they're going poorly then I'll try to fire in from above, hopefully I'll be hidden enough for Advantage.
    Games GMed

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Faye is waiting behind the circle of fire, a burning torch in one hand, her quarterstaff in the other.

She looks watchful and determined.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Elmir has his shield out, and the other hand ready to cast. Chunks of the pelt almost seem to float away from him in the firelight.