The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Wild IC

Elmir and Glim, looking around the square, seem to find that the rowdiest and most rambunctious place in town would be the Goat's Head. You head towards the grungy building, ready to listen in on any rumors that might be flowing. As you enter, you make your way around the crowded tables and sea of bodies crammed into the space to small to make your way to the dark, wooden bar, slick and sticky with spilled alcohol. An old halfling man dressed in a ratty apron sits behind the bar, polishing a dented metal mug. "What'll it be?"

Faye and Caspar follow the woman's instructions and make their way to a small, stone temple. It contains many small shrines to various gods and pantheons scattered about the main hall, and the smell of incense is thick in the air. A few blue-robed priests tend to the shrines around, not seeming to acknowledge you.

Becca can choose to follow either group.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"I'll have an ale." Glim says. Once the bartender brings it: "Thanks. My friend and I are new to town. Any interesting places or happenings around this place?"

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Some ale as well, please." Elmir continues to keep an eye out.

Spoiler: Dice Rolls
    Show
    Not sure I need to reroll, but just in case:
    (1d20+5)[23] or (1d20+5)[10], whichever is lower. Goodbye sweet rolls.

4. - Top - End - #184

Two dented mugs are set in front of you and promptly filled with cheap ale. The halfling turns to Glim: "Nothin' ever happens in Cadmoor. Just a dot on da map, really. Best be out of here-" he gives you a stern glare- "at first opportunity. Go to Aaranumbral- those damned elves will have some use for you up there, unlike this little hamlet." He goes back to cleaning the mugs.

Behind you, Elmir hears the sounds of a small table of gruff, older human men gruffawing about his ears. They are whispering jokes and insults to each other, each one with the elvish race at the butt of the joke, trying to stealthily point at you and failing miserably on the subtlety.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

5. - Top - End - #185
    Colossus in the Playground

Rebecca will follow the shrine goer's group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Entering the temple, Faye takes a moment to let her eyes adjust to the dimmed light inside. She then looks around the hall, searching for a shrine dedicated to the goddess of wanderers to who she occasionally pays her respects on her travels through the Vipernoss.

She shares her observations with her companions in a hushed tone in order not to disturb the temple's peace.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Rolling a religion check if needed to get along and act adequately in the temple:
    (1d20+2)[11] (1d20+2)[22] (disadvantage due to exhaustion)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Aaranumbral, hey? Never been myself, what's it like? The elves a friendly lot?" Glim asks.
    Last edited by Diceomancer; 2018-12-27 at 10:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188

Bending over to Glim, "I'm guessing we aren't very well liked here," Elmir whispers.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Caspar follows Faye closely as to not arouse any suspicion. His eyes wander over the various shrines laid out around them, and quietly asks Faye for help finding a patron of music somewhere amongst the collection. In the meantime, he watches the priests as they go about their duties, examining their behavior for anything that might be out of the ordinary.

Spoiler
    Show
    Insight; (1d20+2)[20]
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

10. - Top - End - #190

In the Goat's Head, a halfling man stares down Glim and Elmir. He turns to Glim first. "No, we don't gen'rally think the elves think too highly of us, seein' as they won't let us intae their fancy city. We don't even want inn, anyway," he mutters to himself, tossing a sour look at Elmir. "And no, newcomers get unsavory attention 'round here, so us villiage folk don't take a shine to adventurers."

In the temple, you look around and find the gods you were looking for. Odin, god of travels and wisdom, among other domains, draws Faye, not to mention Sol, god of the sun. She performs the proper religious ceremonies at the small, cluttered shrines without making a complete fool of herself.

Meanwhile, as Caspar looks for the god of music, he also keeps an eye out for the blue-robed acolytes. They don't seem to be doing anything outwardly evil or sinister. Some of them appear to have taken some oath of silence, and a form of sign language seems to be taking place between a few of the priests. However, you're unable to ascertain what it means. After a few minutes of looking, you're unable to find a god of music.
    Last edited by SunderedWorldDM; 2019-01-07 at 09:18 AM.

11. - Top - End - #191

Rebecca will look for anyone in the shrine to talk to.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Best be on our way, then." Glim says, standing up from the bar. "Unsavory attention though. Who from?" He pays for his drink while talking, and his best to make his questions seem like innocent afterthoughts.
    Last edited by Diceomancer; 2019-01-07 at 09:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193

Elmir apologetically shrugs toward the Halfling, and puts down a bit more than it would take to cover the drink. He glances back at the laughing men.

14. - Top - End - #194

Rebecca looks around and finds a scrawny, younger human male with unkempt brown hair and wide eyes. His robes appear to be slightly more rumpled than the robes of those around, and he looks to be thy type of person to constantly be flustered by every development, if you had a guess. He speaks in a raspy whisper. "Salutations, and welcome to the Temple of Fortune. Please try to remain quiet and respectful while you're here, as we have some individuals who have taken a vow of silence, and we'd like you to try and respect that. Are you looking for any god or goddess in particular?"

As Elmir and Glim shoot glances back at the rowdy table, they quickly grow more quiet, muttering among st themselves. You see a half-orc among them dressed in the robes of a laborer crack their knuckles and reach for a dented and well-used pickaxe below the table.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Asked and answered. Let's be on our way." Glim says, and starts for the door.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Faye spends some minutes kneeling in silent prayer at the shrine of Sol, then rises and joins Caspar again. "I'm afraid, I didn't see any shrine dedicated to a god of music around," she whispers while smoothing out the folds of her habit.

After making sure that nobody is overhearing them, she adds in an even lower voice: "But none dedicated to some infernal entity either."
    Last edited by Rogue227; 2019-01-08 at 04:02 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

Quote Originally Posted by SunderedWorldDM View Post
    Rebecca looks around and finds a scrawny, younger human male with unkempt brown hair and wide eyes. His robes appear to be slightly more rumpled than the robes of those around, and he looks to be thy type of person to constantly be flustered by every development, if you had a guess. He speaks in a raspy whisper. "Salutations, and welcome to the Temple of Fortune. Please try to remain quiet and respectful while you're here, as we have some individuals who have taken a vow of silence, and we'd like you to try and respect that. Are you looking for any god or goddess in particular?
    We just wanted to take a look at the shrines. Are vows of silence common on the priesthood?

18. - Top - End - #198

"Relatively so, yes. It's a bit of a Cadmoorian tradition. Personally, I came from Zinterwald, another city not 3 days from here, so I didn't feel comfortable taking the vow, as I don't know how long I'm staying." He catches himself talking about himself, and shakes his head. Humility is apparently one of his virtues. "If you have any questions about the vows, I'd be happy to be a vessel of communication between you and one of the acolytes."

19. - Top - End - #199

"Relatively so, yes. It's a bit of a Cadmoorian tradition. Personally, I came from Zinterwald, another city not 3 days from here, so I didn't feel comfortable taking the vow, as I don't know how long I'm staying." He catches himself talking about himself, and shakes his head. Humility is apparently one of his virtues. "If you have any questions about the vows, I'd be happy to be a vessel of communication between you and one of the acolytes."
    Sure, um, what other vows are common? Rebecca asked.

20. - Top - End - #200

Elmir puts a hand on his scimitar, and follows closely behind Glim. He keeps an eye on the half-orc. "Watch the one with the pick," he says quietly.

21. - Top - End - #201

The acolyte speaks to Rebecca. "Well, I take an oath of humility. There's also those who try and consume as little as possible, spend as much time as possible unconscious or on select drugs, but they're the minority by far. The most common is a vow of silence, and that's about half of us."

Meanwhile, as Elmir and Glim make a motion to exit the Goat's Head, the half-orc growls and hefts the pick, but as you motion to leave, all he does is stand menacingly, eyes following you out the dented and warped doors. You are back in the sunlit square.

22. - Top - End - #202

The acolyte speaks to Rebecca. "Well, I take an oath of humility. There's also those who try and consume as little as possible, spend as much time as possible unconscious or on select drugs, but they're the minority by far. The most common is a vow of silence, and that's about half of us."
    Wait, wait, as much time, don't you mean as little time? Rebecca clarifies.

23. - Top - End - #203

"Well, it depends on the oath. Some claim that certain herbs and drugs allow for enlightenment." He looks uncomfortable for a second, like he's holding in an opinion, then says "of course, I believe this to be dumbfou-" He claps a hand over his mouth, a bug-eyed expression on his face. "I'm sorry," he whispers, "sometimes it's hard to contain one's opinion..."

24. - Top - End - #204

"Well, it depends on the oath. Some claim that certain herbs and drugs allow for enlightenment." He looks uncomfortable for a second, like he's holding in an opinion, then says "of course, I believe this to be dumbfou-" He claps a hand over his mouth, a bug-eyed expression on his face. "I'm sorry," he whispers, "sometimes it's hard to contain one's opinion..."
    I'm not judging. Rebecca assures the boy.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Well, that was informative. Lot of grievance in this bunch." Glim says quietly once they are out of earshot of anyone else. "Got a bit dicey back there, but sometimes the only way to see if there's a swarm of hornets in a nest is to keep shooting sparks at it until something comes out or it catches on fire. Let's go see how the rest are doing."

26. - Top - End - #206

"You don't need to tell me about these people. I was one," Elmir smiles wryly. "But yes, let's find the others."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Glim and Elmir go looking for the rest of the part.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Caspar decides that an offering to the god of travel would be fitting for, well, a traveler, and leaves a few coins at the shrine. He sits down on the floor and offers a silent prayer for a few minutes. Satisfied that he had found everything he was searching for, he leaves the temple and waits for the other two to finish their business within.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

29. - Top - End - #209

As you all reconvene just outside of the temple, you realize just how long you've gone without sleep and quality food. The sun is slowly falling towards the horizon, casting a red glow about the thin, wispy clouds above. You think it would probably be a good idea to get some food in your belly and a good night's sleep.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"The Brilliant Stag was 7 gold per room. We might want to check out the Goat's Head. We can discuss what to do next in one of our rooms after dinner."