The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 232
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0wca88 View Post
    Revenant (1999) - great game.
    I remember that one--it's an RPG where you're playing a resurrected corpse, right? (And no, nothing like Dark Souls!).

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kato's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    [QUOTE=Morgaln;23841326]
    Ascendancy: A Sci-Fi 4X game for the PC, released in 1995. You chose one of 21 unique alien races and set out to conquer the galaxy. Unfortunately, the AI was crap, so it was pretty much impossible to lose the game, but it was still loads of fun to play.
    [QUOTE]
    Man, I loved that game despite it's flaws. I think there was a new version at some point but from what I heard it's not nearly as good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    A lot of people don't know this, but there are actually 3 Secret of Mana games. The Secret of Mana everyone recognizes is actually the second game in the series.

    The first one was released out of Japan as Final Fantasy Adventure. It was remade into a Gameboy Advance game called Sword of Mana, which I actually had a copy of. It's not very good, though.



    The third Secret of Mana game was never released outside of Japan, called Seiken Densetsu 3. It's basically Secret of Mana, but better. You pick one main protagonist and two sidekicks out of 6 when you start the game, each with their own goals, plots and combat specialities. So if you play a character you don't like, you can just make a new save with a new party and a new plot!

    There's an unofficial English translation patch you can get for it, so that you can enjoy the game in English.
    I think SD 3 is actually pretty well known, at least among people who are interested in the series To the point where I'm surprised Nintendo / SE still hasn't bothered to release it in the west.
    "What's done is done."

    Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    The third Secret of Mana game was never released outside of Japan, called Seiken Densetsu 3. It's basically Secret of Mana, but better. You pick one main protagonist and two sidekicks out of 6 when you start the game, each with their own goals, plots and combat specialities. So if you play a character you don't like, you can just make a new save with a new party and a new plot!

    There's an unofficial English translation patch you can get for it, so that you can enjoy the game in English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toric View Post
    Man that is such a good game. What I really like about it is there's three subplots with their own final bosses, each tied to one pair of the six possible party members. So you can pick one sidekick who shares your main's final boss for a tighter endgame, or pick one character from each subplot for more of a "ragtag group united by a greater threat" feel.
    It's also one of the few games I consider to have perfect balance in terms of gameplay. While you had a degree of level limitation (you needed at least level 16 to make the first upgrade, and then somewhere between 32 and 36 to make the second), you could beat the game regardless of your team choice. It's very difficult to make a "worst possible" team; you really have to make the effort of analyzing what's the worst possible team, and even then, you can finish the game in the expected power level. That's what I consider perfect balance; while there's an obvious "best choice" and obvious "worst choice", the difference between the two in terms of difficulty is so minimal that the game keeps being challenging with the "best" and possible to win with the "worst".

    [QUOTEMan_Over_Game]There was also a really good PS1 game of the series, called Legend of Mana, which has a TON of sidekicks, playstyles, magic, and miniature worlds and plots to explore. I will warn you, though, nothing will make sense as you play it, as the game is weirdly designed so that you build the world/plot as you play, changing with how you play/build it. As a result, nothing really makes that much sense, and you might need a guide to figure out what the hell you're doing.[/QUOTE]

    Don't forget it also has an awesome soundtrack. Plus the techniques had pretty awesome animations and made some sense if you think about it. Magic, on the other hand...
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    danzibr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Back forty.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Man. Now I want to pick back up SD3. Started it yeeeeears ago but never finished.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    I'm not terribly in touch with games people have and haven't heard of, but I thought of some titles that I haven't really heard people discuss much.

    Va-11 Hall-A is a really cool visual novel with a drink mixing minigame about working a bar in a cyberpunk dystopia. It has a really good soundtrack, a colourful cast of characters, and it's a queer story that isn't a coming-out narrative, and there's not too many of those around. I've been meaning to play through it again, but haven't found the time yet!

    ANATOMY is a super creepy horror game centered around a house. I don't want to say anymore because it's really good! Frankly, all of Kitty Horrorshow's games could qualify, and most of them are free, too. They're definitely not "friendly," by any means, but they're really cool experiences, as chilling and skin-crawling as they might be.

    continue?9876543210 made a small splash when it came out, but since it's been relatively forgotten since, I'm including it here. Basically, you play as an RPG character slated to be deleted by a Java-script algorithm, and have to do what you can to survive garbage collection for as long as possible. It's a little clunky, but it's one of the most conceptually interesting games I've ever seen.

    This thread is reminding me of the series Superbunnyhop made on games he had only ever seen in his inbox. There were a ton of real gems in those videos, too...
    feed the crows

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator
     
    Mark Hall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    One that I keep going back to in my mind (which I may have mentioned on this thread before) was Dusk of the Gods. Pretty basic by today's standards, it was an open-world exploration game where you played as an Einherjar, out to not only start Ragnarok but, if you paid attention and played well, prevent the deaths of the Gods at Ragnarok. You could tackle things in pretty much any order, could haul the head of Mimir around to ask it questions, and could avert several of the prophesied deaths at Ragnarok (Blind Hodur could be given an amulet that would let him avoid being killed by Vidar for his role in the slaying of Baldur; Freyr's man Skirnir could be given a Rod of Beguiling, which would let Freyr keep his sword for Ragnarok, and thus survive)

    HUGE world, and a bit achronological (since Beowulf-king can give you the task of killing the Dragon, and Hrothgir can give you the task of killing Grendel AND his mother). Asking around makes some things a lot easier and faster (you can borrow Skidbladnir from Frey, which means you don't have to SWIM to Iceland). Character creation is a minigame where you play out your character's life until your death, going on raids and getting into battles and visiting temples and towers of learning.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Between SEA and PDX.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    One that I keep going back to in my mind (which I may have mentioned on this thread before) was Dusk of the Gods. Pretty basic by today's standards, it was an open-world exploration game where you played as an Einherjar, out to not only start Ragnarok but, if you paid attention and played well, prevent the deaths of the Gods at Ragnarok. You could tackle things in pretty much any order, could haul the head of Mimir around to ask it questions, and could avert several of the prophesied deaths at Ragnarok (Blind Hodur could be given an amulet that would let him avoid being killed by Vidar for his role in the slaying of Baldur; Freyr's man Skirnir could be given a Rod of Beguiling, which would let Freyr keep his sword for Ragnarok, and thus survive)

    HUGE world, and a bit achronological (since Beowulf-king can give you the task of killing the Dragon, and Hrothgir can give you the task of killing Grendel AND his mother). Asking around makes some things a lot easier and faster (you can borrow Skidbladnir from Frey, which means you don't have to SWIM to Iceland). Character creation is a minigame where you play out your character's life until your death, going on raids and getting into battles and visiting temples and towers of learning.
    Reminds me of the Valkyrie Profile games. You play as a Valkyrie, gathering souls that die in the mortal world to fight with you as ghosts. After leveling them up, you send them up to Valhalla for them to serve as Einherjar, where their training and talents will earn you praise and many benefits. Of course, now you're mostly consisted of a high level party with one less unit, and you have to take in a noobie to fill in the spot you just sold.

    It becomes this weirdly rotating door of "Get a Hero, level up your party, sell the highest level hero for profit, unlock a better tier of heroes". The thing that stood out to me, hard, was how uncaring the Valkyrie was. You genuinely do not care, at all, about mortals, and sometimes you just watch and wait for them to die horrifically (to bandits, monsters, whatever) just so you can claim your new (temporary) addition to the army.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-18 at 11:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

    5th Edition Homebrewery

    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Reminds me of the Valkyrie Profile games. You play as a Valkyrie, gathering souls that die in the mortal world to fight with you as ghosts. After leveling them up, you send them up to Valhalla for them to serve as Einherjar, where their training and talents will earn you praise and many benefits. Of course, now you're mostly consisted of a high level party with one less unit, and you have to take in a noobie to fill in the spot you just sold.

    It becomes this weirdly rotating door of "Get a Hero, level up your party, sell the highest level hero for profit, unlock a better tier of heroes". The thing that stood out to me, hard, was how uncaring the Valkyrie was. You genuinely do not care, at all, about mortals, and sometimes you just watch and wait for them to die horrifically (to bandits, monsters, whatever) just so you can claim your new (temporary) addition to the army.
    That kind of made Valkyrie Profile a really great game, honestly. That's exactly how a Valkyrie would likely act. And man that was a good game.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

    Factotum Variants!

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Between SEA and PDX.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    That kind of made Valkyrie Profile a really great game, honestly. That's exactly how a Valkyrie would likely act. And man that was a good game.
    If you want to play the evil, mortal version of a Valkyrie in the same universe, check out Covenant of the Plume. I mentioned it earlier in the thread. It's a brutally difficult tactics game that becomes drastically easier when you sell the souls of your friends, and takes place in the Valkyrie Profile universe.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-18 at 02:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

    5th Edition Homebrewery

    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    If you want to play the evil, mortal version of a Valkyrie in the same universe, check out Covenant of the Plume. I mentioned it earlier in the thread. It's a brutally difficult tactics game that becomes drastically easier when you sell the souls of your friends, and takes place in the Valkyrie Profile universe.
    Yeah I tried that one out, couldn't get into it. Or Valkyrie Profile 2, for that matter.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

    Factotum Variants!

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    If you want to play the evil, mortal version of a Valkyrie in the same universe, check out Covenant of the Plume. I mentioned it earlier in the thread. It's a brutally difficult tactics game that becomes drastically easier when you sell the souls of your friends, and takes place in the Valkyrie Profile universe.
    A funny detail is that in the original Valkyrie profile, if you fail to deliver enough heroes in time (since there is a clock counting down most of the time, Ragnarock's not gonna wait forever), then a godess with cheater stats will descend to smite you down for not doing your job.

    While in Covenant of the Plume if you go full evil and start sacrificing friends left, right and center for ultimate power, then that's what'll trigger a goddess with cheater stats to come down and smite your ass for doing your job too well.

    And of course in Covenant of the Plume
    Spoiler
    Show

    In the final battle you need to fight everybody who you sacrificed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

    ...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    Ascendancy: A Sci-Fi 4X game for the PC, released in 1995. You chose one of 21 unique alien races and set out to conquer the galaxy. Unfortunately, the AI was crap, so it was pretty much impossible to lose the game, but it was still loads of fun to play.
    Man, I loved that game despite it's flaws. I think there was a new version at some point but from what I heard it's not nearly as good.
    I still play Ascendancy once in a while for the nostalgia hit. They re-released it for the iPhone as a mobile game with the code otherwise untouched (AI included), and it's basically crap because the game was never intended to be played by touchscreen.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-04-19 at 12:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

    I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    danzibr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Back forty.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Oh man. I remembered a couple.

    Ib and Schuld. Both RPG Maker horror games. Both fantastic (not RPGs btw).
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Between SEA and PDX.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Oh man. I remembered a couple.

    Ib and Schuld. Both RPG Maker horror games. Both fantastic (not RPGs btw).
    That's the most disappointing part about RPG-maker. I like RPGs, but it's really hard to find decent ones made with RPG-maker. They usually have shoddy plots, poor balance, bad graphic/world design, etc. The best things to come out of RPG-Maker were, ironically, not RPGs. Which is a shame if you actually like the genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

    5th Edition Homebrewery

    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    danzibr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Back forty.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    That's the most disappointing part about RPG-maker. I like RPGs, but it's really hard to find decent ones made with RPG-maker. They usually have shoddy plots, poor balance, bad graphic/world design, etc. The best things to come out of RPG-Maker were, ironically, not RPGs. Which is a shame if you actually like the genre.
    I agree with this like 95%. Most traditional RPGs (like with random battles) that I played from RPG Maker were trash, EXCEPT for A Blurred Line (and The Way was great... but I disabled random battles).

    Anyway. Right, itís interesting almost all the good games arenít even RPGs.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Between SEA and PDX.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I agree with this like 95%. Most traditional RPGs (like with random battles) that I played from RPG Maker were trash, EXCEPT for A Blurred Line (and The Way was great... but I disabled random battles).

    Anyway. Right, itís interesting almost all the good games arenít even RPGs.
    I think it was made with Game Maker, but one of my favorite RPGs is Exit Fate. I posted about it earlier on the thread. Check it out. It is a LOT like Suikoden.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

    5th Edition Homebrewery

    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Secret Lair on Sol c
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I agree with this like 95%. Most traditional RPGs (like with random battles) that I played from RPG Maker were trash, EXCEPT for A Blurred Line (and The Way was great... but I disabled random battles).

    Anyway. Right, itís interesting almost all the good games arenít even RPGs.
    Try Final Fantasy: Endless Nova... itís just about as strong and complex as the old classical FF games that it obviously tries to emulate, and made in rpg maker 2000

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator
     
    Mark Hall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    An old favorite: Broderbund's Ancient Art of War. Flood of nostalgia for it just now.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    danzibr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Back forty.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    I think it was made with Game Maker, but one of my favorite RPGs is Exit Fate. I posted about it earlier on the thread. Check it out. It is a LOT like Suikoden.
    Oh yeah! With the white haired doctor dude sporting the hyper masculine jaw line sharing my name. Yeah I started it, then got a new computer. Gotta try it again. It was RPGMaker btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Try Final Fantasy: Endless Nova... itís just about as strong and complex as the old classical FF games that it obviously tries to emulate, and made in rpg maker 2000
    Sounds nice! Iíll keep that in mind.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NovenFromTheSun's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    I donít hear a lot of mentions of Grapple Force Rena around most sites, does anyone else here know of it? Itís a platformer where you can grab onto distant objects like enemies or walls.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

    Laphicet avatar by linklele.

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    MinimanMidget's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Someone already said Triplane Turmoil, but how about Liero? Essentially a real-time version of Worms. Also, Skyroads! Fast-paced scrolling platformer.

    Edit: Wow, I almost forgot Tyrian, my favourite vertical scrolling shooter of all time.
    Last edited by MinimanMidget; 2019-04-28 at 07:58 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Here's one I played that I'd love to be able to find again, except I can't remember the name. Mid 90s, I think. Same era as Loom and maybe the Gold Box D&D games (at least the early ones).

    It was an isometric, tile-based (like a rogue-like, everyone moves when you do) RPG. Things I remember:

    No classes--at the start you pick some things you're good (weapons, magic, etc) at but can learn others. Picking any weapon but swords was a mistake due to plot reasons later, but...

    Start out an orphan in a temple/monastery that is raided by the forces of evil. The only survivor, you take a tunnel through underground dungeons to go kill the big bad. Along the way you find an intelligent sword that gains power by killing things. There's an obvious in retrospect plot twist at the end if you got the good ending.

    I remember the box was black and promised "over 100 hours of gameplay".

    Anyone know a name for this?
    Dream of Hope: a 5e setting. http://www.admiralbenbo.org
    PhoenixPhyre's Extended Homebrew Signature
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    an island in maine
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Here's one I played that I'd love to be able to find again, except I can't remember the name. Mid 90s, I think. Same era as Loom and maybe the Gold Box D&D games (at least the early ones).

    It was an isometric, tile-based (like a rogue-like, everyone moves when you do) RPG. Things I remember:

    No classes--at the start you pick some things you're good (weapons, magic, etc) at but can learn others. Picking any weapon but swords was a mistake due to plot reasons later, but...

    Start out an orphan in a temple/monastery that is raided by the forces of evil. The only survivor, you take a tunnel through underground dungeons to go kill the big bad. Along the way you find an intelligent sword that gains power by killing things. There's an obvious in retrospect plot twist at the end if you got the good ending.

    I remember the box was black and promised "over 100 hours of gameplay".

    Anyone know a name for this?
    Sounds vaguely like Avernum... did you have one character, or a party? Was it Diablo-esque? Do you see it anywhere on this list?

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    Sounds vaguely like Avernum... did you have one character, or a party? Was it Diablo-esque? Do you see it anywhere on this list?
    Thanks! I found it. It was The Summoning .
    Dream of Hope: a 5e setting. http://www.admiralbenbo.org
    PhoenixPhyre's Extended Homebrew Signature
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    I'm not sure it was a "good" game per say, but I lost countless hours of my childhood to Unholy War. To my knowledge it was only released on the PS1. Pretty basic story line, tech advanced society needs special resource from magical type planet, and the campaign can be played out from either side. The maps are hexagonal, units have special abilities you can activate for a certain amount of the previously mentioned special resource that you harvest on map. When units fight it changes from a board game set up to something more akin to mortal combat. Each unit has special abilities and basic attacks. The fighting portion was pretty great, you can move in any direction, and several units had vertical moment abilities, there were map hazards to avoid.
    It was just a lot of silly fun to me.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Between SEA and PDX.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter11 View Post
    I'm not sure it was a "good" game per say, but I lost countless hours of my childhood to Unholy War. To my knowledge it was only released on the PS1. Pretty basic story line, tech advanced society needs special resource from magical type planet, and the campaign can be played out from either side. The maps are hexagonal, units have special abilities you can activate for a certain amount of the previously mentioned special resource that you harvest on map. When units fight it changes from a board game set up to something more akin to mortal combat. Each unit has special abilities and basic attacks. The fighting portion was pretty great, you can move in any direction, and several units had vertical moment abilities, there were map hazards to avoid.
    It was just a lot of silly fun to me.
    +1 for Unholy War. I posted it earlier in the thread, still one of my favorites. Like a better Archon. I wish there were more games of this genre, but the only other one I was able to find that was a little more updated was Wrath Unleashed, which wasn't quite as good. It wasn't quite as "good unbalanced" (where some units were designed to kill other units, creating a rock-paper-scissors balance system) as Unholy War, the battle arenas were really stale, and you could sometimes win just by learning a really strong combo with a particular unit with little strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

    5th Edition Homebrewery

    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateGirl

    Join Date
    Dec 2013

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    +1 for Unholy War. I posted it earlier in the thread, still one of my favorites. Like a better Archon. I wish there were more games of this genre, but the only other one I was able to find that was a little more updated was Wrath Unleashed, which wasn't quite as good. It wasn't quite as "good unbalanced" (where some units were designed to kill other units, creating a rock-paper-scissors balance system) as Unholy War, the battle arenas were really stale, and you could sometimes win just by learning a really strong combo with a particular unit with little strategy.
    Star Control (original only) was also a game of this type.

    Also, I believe Archon, Star Control and Unholy War were all made by the same people, so maybe they'll eventually make a new one.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Has Age of Decadence got a mention?

    Extraordinary game. The type of game you finally stagger through a play through and go ďwow, that was challenging and new and a pretty good story and goddam if it ever stopped to holding your handĒ. Then you play again.

    And realize the story isnít just good. Itís an intricate multi layer, multi perspective, multi world state story that is thorough and well thought through, and that holy $&@! did you even realize that this entire other story was running in parallel, and that there were entire areas with vastly different lore you never saw? And that almost every situation has multiple solutions, and not just ďkill, sneak, talkĒ but actually entire different paths?

    And then you play a third time. And would you know it, there was actually a way to talk to demons of the abyss? How the hell did you miss that?

    Round four. Wait. I can summon a god?

    Round five. Oh. That makes so much more sense.

    Round six. You can actually do that? You can sell that guy up the river to the other guy? And the only way to know is consider being a treacherous SOB to begin with, because it makes sense that there isnít a quest prompt saying ďand if, just because, you want to sell out your current boss, well of course you can?Ē

    Round Seven. Thereís a way to BE a god? Itís not just a different ending, but a different end path that you have to discover on your own?

    And on. And on.

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Quote Originally Posted by KineticDiplomat View Post
    Has Age of Decadence got a mention?
    I had noticed that game on steam but never got around to trying it out since I thought they were overpromising. However from your experience seems like it does deliver so I'll see if I can make some time to play it, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

    ...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

    Total Annihilation - pc from the late 90s i think, early RTS war game, great fun

    Tribes 1: pioneering FPS game from late 90's

    Leisure Suit Larry - 80s/90s game maybe, but adults only for mostly crude antics



    ...damn i'm getting old.
    Spoiler: Medals
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •