New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What are your favorite games that nobody's heard of?

Total Annihilation got lost in the storm that was StarCraft, despite being the better game in my opinion.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

2. - Top - End - #212
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    Leisure Suit Larry - 80s/90s game maybe, but adults only for mostly crude antics
    Remember having to answer history questions to prove your age in the first game?
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2019-07-02 at 06:14 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Remember having to answer history questions to prove your age in the first game?
    We had that game on 3.5'' discs when I was a kid and for the longest time I though the copy-protection WAS the game

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    We had that game on 3.5'' discs when I was a kid and for the longest time I though the copy-protection WAS the game
    3.5"? Luxury! We played on 5.25" disks and a CGA monitor and we liked it!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone here remember an old shareware tank combat game called Scorched Earth from back in the early 90s? It was like Worms before Worms existed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Velaryon; 2019-07-05 at 12:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Absolutely, though the one I remember didn't look like that. I know that one under the name of Tank Wars. (The picture itself is called tankwars.gif, so I'm dead certain I'm right.) Maybe a misattributed screen shot?

I remember Scorched Earth being legitimately impressive in terms of depth. There were tons of weapons in it, and you could have like 16 tanks in the game at once. If you look for tank-based artillery games made in much more recent years made by indies, they tend to allow for four players, sometimes only two.

Worms could be said to be what the artillery genre moved into - after Worms nobody was really talking about the "tank-based" games anymore, even if they were still being made. Worms Armageddon is essentially the peak of the genre. Unless you want to count Angry Birds, like Wikipedia does. And even then Worms Armageddon probably beats any incarnation of that. (If only because it's multiplayer.)
    Last edited by Silfir; 2019-07-05 at 01:04 PM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Does anyone here remember an old shareware tank combat game called Scorched Earth from back in the early 90s? It was like Worms before Worms existed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, yeah. It was great fun. Rounds that made ground, variable gravity, wind, all sorts of things.
    The Cranky Gamer

8. - Top - End - #218
    Firbolg in the Playground

I particularly liked a game called Alundra for the PS1. It was a lot like Link to the Past, but it was more serious, the protagonist was a girl, and it had jumping as a major part of the gameplay. I'm not sure how well it holds up now, though, since I haven't played it in 15+ years. If I remember correctly, you had the power to go into people's dreams, where demons occasionally lurked.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-07-05 at 02:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Well, if you're looking to scratch that itch, ShellShock Live is probably as close to a spiritual successor as you'd find, though I haven't really done any particular searching of my own.

I remember it, though; it made the rounds in electronics class in high school. The version I played was a Mac variant: Dome Wars.

Another thing I haven't tried or researched is SSL2, apparently on some game sites.

edit: fixed quote block
    Last edited by TaRix; 2019-07-05 at 03:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Absolutely, though the one I remember didn't look like that. I know that one under the name of Tank Wars. (The picture itself is called tankwars.gif, so I'm dead certain I'm right.) Maybe a misattributed screen shot?

I remember Scorched Earth being legitimately impressive in terms of depth. There were tons of weapons in it, and you could have like 16 tanks in the game at once. If you look for tank-based artillery games made in much more recent years made by indies, they tend to allow for four players, sometimes only two.
    This definitely looks like the game I knew as Scorched Earth, though I only remember being able to up to tanks. I loved opening rounds with the MIRV or Death's Head missiles for maximum chaos and carnage. Since it was a shareware game, I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple variations of it making the rounds back then.

Preteen me also had a great amount of immature fun opening up the dialogue file in DOS and editing all the death lines into various forms of crude sexual or toilet humor.

Worms could be said to be what the artillery genre moved into - after Worms nobody was really talking about the "tank-based" games anymore, even if they were still being made. Worms Armageddon is essentially the peak of the genre. Unless you want to count Angry Birds, like Wikipedia does. And even then Worms Armageddon probably beats any incarnation of that. (If only because it's multiplayer.)
    I preferred Worms 2 over Armageddon, because it had a much higher degree of possible customization... plus I knew all the cheats to start with the secret weapons like the Concrete Donkey.
    Last edited by Velaryon; 2019-07-05 at 05:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Scorched Earth 1.2 (along with 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5) looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgr4ntpaft...corch.png?dl=0

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Gunbound was another notable of the genre, with 4v4 combat between different classes of tank. It was a lot of fun casually but got silly at higher levels, with players printing out angle and wind charts to make it so they could land otherwise impossible shots.

Unfortunately I think the original version got shut down, and while it still exists the format has been changed a lot and it's been more heavily monetized. Shame.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

I just remembered Sudeki for the original XBox.

It's a traditional action RPG. You've got your Swordguy Herodude and you get into random battles. The arena is limited to a ring (which is procedurally generated based on where you contacted the enemy so you can accidentally give yourself a tiny battleground) and you run Swordguy around on the screen whacking things into the sword. Then you get your standard Princess Magegirl. And while Swordguy is hitting things she's holding her staff like a rifle and shooting things. And then you can switch to control Magegirl and THIS IS AN FPS! You have a first-person view while controlling this girl, your staff functions like a pistol, you can get critical hits via headshots I believe, and while Swordguy's new swords just get elemental damage Magegirl's staffs include things like a flamethrower (fire, obviously), a lightning shotgun, and an ice LMG. And then one of your other two party members is a steampunk inventor with sci-fi guns who functions identically. That was such a great gameplay surprise: an FPS nestled inside an action RPG.

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by Toric View Post

It's a traditional action RPG. You've got your Swordguy Herodude and you get into random battles. The arena is limited to a ring (which is procedurally generated based on where you contacted the enemy so you can accidentally give yourself a tiny battleground) and you run Swordguy around on the screen whacking things into the sword. Then you get your standard Princess Magegirl. And while Swordguy is hitting things she's holding her staff like a rifle and shooting things. And then you can switch to control Magegirl and THIS IS AN FPS! You have a first-person view while controlling this girl, your staff functions like a pistol, you can get critical hits via headshots I believe, and while Swordguy's new swords just get elemental damage Magegirl's staffs include things like a flamethrower (fire, obviously), a lightning shotgun, and an ice LMG. And then one of your other two party members is a steampunk inventor with sci-fi guns who functions identically. That was such a great gameplay surprise: an FPS nestled inside an action RPG.
    Sounds like a lot of fun. I felt a similar feeling from Dragon's Dogma. The game allows you to play a reaction-based Warrior, a third-person shooter Ranger, or a battlefield-controlling mage. It even allows you to mix-and-match the classes into hybrid classes (with a Ranger+Mage becoming a Magick Archer that shoots homing arrows that are less precise but have special effects and allow you to run as you shoot easily).

I might try to find a playable copy, but I doubt I'll have much luck, with how obscure AND old it is.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-07-08 at 03:00 PM.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Toric View Post
    And the fourth a catgirl ninja-type. Complete with claws that let you traverse special walls.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Gunbound was another notable of the genre, with 4v4 combat between different classes of tank. It was a lot of fun casually but got silly at higher levels, with players printing out angle and wind charts to make it so they could land otherwise impossible shots.

Unfortunately I think the original version got shut down, and while it still exists the format has been changed a lot and it's been more heavily monetized. Shame.
    I remember playing Gunbound! That was a pretty fun game.
    ithilanor on Steam.

17. - Top - End - #227

Not sure how "unknown" it was, but Gunstar Heroes is an amazing shooter platformer that had cooperative gameplay and it had a unique mechanic where you would load two different gun elements that modified what kind of shots you did. Fire + Homing meant you controlled a flaming sphere with your movement that'd float around the screen separate from your character, but Fire + Fire meant you had a difficult to use flamethrower that dealt stupid amounts of damage. You'd mix and match different gun elements to deal with specific bosses, and the game was amazingly done. The bosses themselves were interesting, and the final level was ludicrously fun as a villain's boardgame/funhouse that changed based on the things you did (or just how the dice rolled).
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-07-09 at 10:32 AM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Not sure how "unknown" it was, but Gunstar Heroes is an amazing shooter platformer that had cooperative gameplay and it had a unique mechanic where you would load two different gun elements that modified what kind of shots you did. Fire + Homing meant you controlled a flaming sphere with your movement that'd float around the screen separate from your character, but Fire + Fire meant you had a difficult to use flamethrower that dealt stupid amounts of damage. You'd mix and match different gun elements to deal with specific bosses, and the game was amazingly done. The bosses themselves were interesting, and the final level was ludicrously fun as a villain's boardgame/funhouse that changed based on the things you did (or just how the dice rolled).
    I loved that back in the day, but I think you're misrembering things a bit since the boardgame/funhouse level was actually just the fourth selectable stage out of 4 so you could actually play it first and after completing all 4 initial stages then there was still other levels to play.

Not only the bosses, the rest of the stages were plenty of fun with mooks and things exploding everywhere all the time.

Got a sequel for the GBA which is probably less known and has an interesting gimmick that if you play it on easy mode, the plot will be super simplified to Saturdary Cartoon levels, but the harder the difficulty you pick, suddenly the story starts to get deeper and more serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

19. - Top - End - #229

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Got a sequel for the GBA which is probably less known and has an interesting gimmick that if you play it on easy mode, the plot will be super simplified to Saturdary Cartoon levels, but the harder the difficulty you pick, suddenly the story starts to get deeper and more serious.
    That's a wonderful gimmick I've never heard before! Gives a great reason to replay the game.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

I always really liked the King's Bounty series, at least the later series. You get to choose your class - warrior, paladin, or mage - and then you go collect dudes to fight in battles a la Heroes of Might and Magic. As you leveled, you gained runes of three flavors, one for each class to focus in, and you spent them to buy passive abilities for your hero. However, every attribute in the game could also be increased by picking up corresponding items on the world map, and each time you played the game it would randomize pretty much everything, from the troops available to the pickups on the map. The plot was so-so, the translation poor, but it's addictively fun.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

21. - Top - End - #231

Dang, Sudeki sounds awesome.

I’ve been thinking of Landstalker a lot lately. Quite a simple game, but I have a soft spot for it.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

22. - Top - End - #232

Back in primary school, we played a Danish game called Foodman. It was released by the Danish Cancer Society to promote healthy eating among kids, and the premise was that you controlled a guy that had to navigate through a supermarket, eating the healthy foods while avoiding the unhealthy, while occasionally answering trivia questions about nutrition. This may sound silly and simple, but it was surprisingly elaborate - especially for its time (the first version dates back to 1987, and it was re-released in 1994). There were many different kinds of food, and if you stayed too long on a level things would start to get moldy and inedible, so there was a built-in time limit as well. Later levels would also have temptations - candy and cake that moved around and could 'attack' you and force you to eat it.

It was a surprisingly brutal game as well. You could die from hunger, obesity, too much sugar, too much moldy food or too much alcohol (if you drank 4 units of alcohol during the game, you would immediately die - also a little bonus lesson for the kids, I guess). Later levels would force you to go through a bunch of sugary stuff to proceed, so you'd have to get a lot of healthy food and exercise to compensate. I still remember how cool it felt to finally complete it on our classroom PC.

Here's a gameplay video. It's in Danish, but I think it gives a decent impression anyway.