New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

Gabriele is conflicted. 'Doesn't mean it's necessarily safe out here.' If all else failed maybe she could find a tree to climb. 'Ok, I help guard the rear as it were. But if you're in there for too long I'm going to have to come in after you.'

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Team Temple
    Show
    Once again, into the darkness. Sir Laurens leads from the front, followed by the sergeant and a torchbearer. The other armsmen follow behind, with the archers in the rear. Alyssa is able to borrow the wounded archer's bow, although one of the other archers grumbles "ain't much use in the tunnels. Reckon it'll be knifework again." The expedition retraces their steps to the central altar room. Sir Laurens bids everyone hold up. The clanking and rattling of the expedition echoes away. The somber quiet returns. Except, from the western tunnel, where the desperate fight was, there are some faint sounds...

Spoiler: Team Camp
    Show
    Albrecht finishes his work on Sir Leclair, who leans back, exhausted, against a rock. His arm is bloody and bandages, and he has some ugly cuts and bruises along his chest and ribs where he took savage blows during the day. The barber surgeon takes a quick look at the other wounded soldiers. Their wounds are fairly minor compared Sir Leclair and Gabriele, but Albrecht washes and cleans them, once someone returns with water from the well. "Shall we have a look around?" he asks Gabriele.
    Last edited by dojango; 2019-04-27 at 11:19 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Torendil steels himself. The knight was right, after all--there had been some injuries, but no one killed. And he was the one who'd pushed to go inside. In response, he only nods and lifts his torch. He keeps close to the others, eyes open for trouble.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception check (listening to identify the sound)
    vs Int (48)
    (1d100)[6]
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin

Before heading back into the temple, Severin makes sure to stock up on some likely-looking rocks as ammunition. He drops one into the pouch of the sling, keeping it ready to launch at the first sign of trouble.

"Sir," Severin whispers as loudly as he dares. "If we can deal with whatever is down that tunnel, then we shall at least know that area is clear of enemies."

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception test (1d100)[89] vs. Int 34 to see if Severin can make out what the sounds are about

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Dojango
    Show

Gabriele will use her bow to help her get to her feet, 'Well we're come all this way. And if there's anyone else out there I'd be happier knowing about it.'

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa once again brings up the rear, keeping her eyes backwards as she blends into the shadows and watches for any ambushes.

Show
    Concealment: (1d100)[54] vs 30
    Perception: (1d100)[33] vs 24

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Temple
    Show

Severin and Alyssa can't make out the nature of the sounds, the noise of the party and the echoes of the chamber making it difficult. To Torendil's keen ears, it sounds like maybe a dog worrying at a bone. The source of the noise soon becomes obvious as the group advances, swords drawn and arrows nocked, under the strange light of the torches and Torendil's light. Down in the corridor, where the battle took place, a single figure, with pale skin and bloody claws and teeth kneels, tearing at the flesh of one of the fallen mutants. It looks towards the group with milky white eyes, not looking directly at anyone in particular. "Guests?" it growls in guttural Reikspiel. "It's been so long since I had guests over. I suppose I have you to thank for this feast? Come join me, my sons were strong and fierce, and their strength can be yours if you wish."

Spoiler: Gabriele
    Show
    Gabriele and Albrecht take a look around the mutant's campsite. The pyre burns merrily as one of the injured soldiers feeds it with brush and rubbish, covering the canyon with a thick, unpleasantly appetizing stench. Gabriele, no stranger to hunter's camps, recognizes the signs of a butchery where the mutants were preparing the bodies of their fallen, and the fallen men from the caravan attack. Two packs bearing the mark of the Springer merchants are stacked in a corner with a mess of rags, bones, sticks, and metal scraps. The remains of some tents are there as well, thoroughly ruined by the victorious soldiers who were no doubt hoping to find coin or valuables within. Albrecht is more interested with a small slot canyon that opens up to a larger pace. Water seeps out of the walls and ground in a few places, and the mutants have turned it into garden. "Suppose this is where they got some of their food. Must have been tired of eating roots and taters."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Anything you want to do in particular? Search for game, scout, search for valuables?
    Last edited by dojango; 2019-04-29 at 09:31 PM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Dojango
    Show

Gabriele looks at the bodies and feels sick again, 'Yeah, some of their food.' She'll try to keep Albrecht in sight just in case, and she'll stay away from investigating the mutant's possessions unless something stands out. The stories claimed it could be dangerous to get too close. 'Do you think they started out like this?'

Show

Looking for anything weird in the mutant's camp
    Perception vs. Int 33
    (1d100)[78]

Looking for anything dangerous that might be out there
    Perception vs. Int 33 (+20 Acute Hearing)
    (1d100)[75]

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    Severin

"It's him! The voice I heard!" Severin whispers, his voice trembling with emotion. "We must kill it! Order your men to kill it now, Sir Laurens!"

Severin doesn't wait for Sir Laurens to respond, instead whirling his sling up to speed and launching a rock at the cannibal abomination before him.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Initiative: (1d10+47)[50]
    Half action: Aim
    Half action: Attack with sling (1d100)[9] vs. 58 (BS 48 +Aim)
    Damage (1d10+3)[9]

Ulric's Fury if applicable:
    Attack with sling (1d100)[20]
    Damage (1d10)[1]

Severin has his shield equipped, so ranged attacks against him take a -10 penalty.
    Wounds (remaining/total): 10/10
    Fortune Points (used/total): 2/3

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa's eyes widen as she sees the creature and her bow clatters to the ground, dropped from shocked and slackened hands. In the next moment she rushes forwards, screaming, "DIEEEEE!" at the top of her lungs.

Show
    After reviewing my stats, turns out Alyssa is better in melee than at range. So...Yeah

WS: (1d100)[52] vs 29
    Damage: (1d10+3)[5]

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Torendil steps back a half step in revulsion. The thing can speak. As Severin and Gabriele attack, he calls up another bolt of magical energy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Half action: Channeling test (vs 51)
    (1d100)[39]

Half action: cast Magic Dart
    Casting number: 6
    (1d10)[9] (+1 for successful channeling test)
    Damage: (1d10+3)[6]
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Outside
    Show
    Gabriele looks around the mutant's camp. There appears to be some disturbed earth at the edge of the camp... wait, no, that's the latrine. Other than the goods recovered from the caravan there doesn't seem to be much of value amidst the ruined camp. After all, what use do mutants have for wealth? Albrecht wanders beside her. "Hmmm? I don't know how this happened. Might talk to a priest about it. Not seen any mutants quite this... thoroughly changed before. I'd heard it was possible, but..." he shrugs. "Not really interested in carrying a bunch of bodies over to the academy. If they want to dissect some mutants they can find them themselves. Besides, fire is the best cure for mutants."

Gabriele scans up and down the canyon, and on the plateau above. While she doesn't see anything or anyone lurking, she does realize that the column of smoke from the pyre would be visible for miles, if anyone is out there.

Show

Severin's sling stone hits the mutant in the leg, as Torendil's magic dart hits it squarely in the chest. It screeches and throws up its hands as it tries to scrabble away. "Help! Murder! Save me!" it screeches. Although it moves out of the way of Alyssa's first swing, as it backs away, it doesn't seem to realize she's there. With but a quick thrust of the dagger, she could put it out of its misery, if she chooses...Behind her the soldiers run up, swords drawn, ready to finish off the mutant as well.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

Oh right, the fire. To Albrecht while pointing at the fire, 'I'm all for that normally, but it might attract the wrong type of attention.' Maybe any mutants that were still on the surface were well aware that they were here. 'We can always burn them when we leave.'

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    "Alyssa! Sigmar's BALLS! Watch yerself, woman!" Severin cries out as he quickly reloads his sling.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Half action: Reload sling
    Half action: Aim (+10 BS next attack)

Severin has his shield equipped, so ranged attacks against him take a -10 penalty.
    Wounds (remaining/total): 10/10
    Fortune Points (used/total): 2/3

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Alyssa brings her blade down on the creature, attempting to stab it directly through the skull.

Show
    (1d100)[14] v 29.
    (1d10+3)[7]

I'd do more but I need to know if this thing is actually gonna die or not.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Show
    Albrecht starts looking around nervously when Gabriele mentions the smoke. "Stop feeding the fire," he orders one the soldier. "Let's go back, shall we?" Back at the entrance, everyone is a little jumpy, watching the column of smoke slowly burn down after about 10 minutes.

Show
    Back inside, Alyssa stabs the foul mutant and twists the blade. It slumps over, groaning, and bleeds out. Sir Laurens and a soldier approach and poke the body with their swords. "See? A berserker," chuckles Sir Laurens. He turns to the other soldier. "Take its head. I want to mount it outside the pass as a warning to its kind. Did you see any more back there, Severin?"

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    "No, Sir Laurens, I did not. It was mighty dark and as soon as I heard that wretch talk of eating our flesh, I decided to come back and report rather than face whatever it was all by my lonesome. But we should probably give the place a quick look now that...that thing...is dead. At least then we'll know that there's no threat behind us when we explore the other passages."

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

While waiting for the others to return, Gabriele will go a short distance away from the others to see if she could catch any game. Mindful of her wounds she won't go far. If there was anyone else out here she might be better off staying hidden.

Show

Outdoor Survival vs. Int 33
    (1d100)[21]

Concealment vs. Ag 43 (+10 Rover)
    (1d100)[19]

Perception vs. Int 33 (+20 if Acute Hearing)
    (1d100)[75]

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa stabs the mutants a few more times for good measure, then exhales, looking rather embarrassed, and replies, "Sorry. I, ah...It reminded me of something else and I lost composure. My apologies." She then looks down the dark passages and adds, "Still, I suppose we must forge onwards."

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Show
    Forging onward, the small group pushes into the room where Severin had originally heard the mutant. With the light of the torches being brought up, everyone can see the interior of the throne room. Around the edges of the throne room there are those ubiquitous alcoves, containing broken statuary. The throne itself is a massive stone chair. It probably once had intricate carvings on it, but someone or something seems to have attempted to smash the thing at some point. The throne itself was too solid to break up, but whatever decorations were on it have been defaced. On the seat of the throne there is a small, delicate silver circlet with a few red gemstones set along the edge. Set down as if its owner had stepped off his throne for dinner and would expect to return to it shortly, to once again rule over his subjects. In one of the corner there are piles of straw and rags where the creature must have slept. Around it are an eclectic collection of curios and mementos. Some of the soldiers begin rummaging through the area, looking for more valuables. Behind the throne, there appears to be a doorway, but the throne is blocking it, and there does not seem to be any visible way to open the doors.

Show
    Gabriele travels a short way down the canyon, and then up to the rim while scouting for potential dangers. Although she doesn't see any danger, she is growing used to the way of the desert, and spots a snake slithering out of some burrow. An easy shot with the bow later, and it is dead. Not too far away is the snake's quarry, a jack-rabbit nibbling at the edges of some thornbush. Another shot. She knows that the snake's bite is unpleasant, but cutting off the head will remove the poison, and the rest can be fried up and eaten. She brings the game back to the camp. Either she can skin it and gut it herself, or ask the remaining servant to do so.
    Last edited by dojango; 2019-05-12 at 10:16 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Alyssa hums to herself as she strolls over and picks up the circlet, examining it with the trained eye of both a thief and a noblewoman.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    "Sir Laurens, there seems to be no immediate threat here. With respect, I think it would be wise to secure the rest of the temple before we search for valuables here or try to open that door. We still haven't found the mutants that escaped the battle in the canyon," Severin reminds the knight.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Finding no obvious threats Gabriele will start to relax a bit. She'll prepare the rabbit herself because she's absolutely sure that she can do it properly.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Alyssa
    Show
    It is a beautiful-looking circlet, far too valuable to be left in the hands of these mutants. Made of silver with a few red gemstones, it appears to be well crafted and well polished despite the filth of the ruin.

Show
    Sir Laurens nods at Severin's wisdom. "You're right, of course. There may be more lurking about." Sir Laurens looks at Alyssa, holding the circlet, but he says nothing. "Let's go." The column marches back into the central temple. Peering down the hallway to the north, the hallway is much shorter, the group can see the darkness of some rooms ahead. The hallway to the east stretches out into the darkness, with the same alcoves and statues lining the way.

Show
    A small fire, carefully banked, by the side of the cliff won't generate too much smoke, so within a few minutes the jackrabbit is roasting on a small spit. The sweet smell draws the others around to savor it. Sir Leclair carefully levers himself up, and then sits by the fire, watching the rabbit cook. "You fought well in there," he says. "What brings you to these lands?"

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    "Rooms to the north? Probably the living quarters of whoever once built this temple," Severin muses. "If the mutants we met outside lived in here at all, then that seems a likely place to look for them..."

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Alyssa hums and smiles as she looks at the headdress, and, on an impulse, puts it on and turns to ask Severin, "So? How do I look?"

((If this was a video game, an 'are you sure' box just popped up and I clicked yes ))

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

Gabriele almost laughed at that. Fighting well wasn't how she would have described it. 'I suppose I'm still alive, which is important. Compared to the deep woods back in Ostland this is nothing, but I don't think I'm that good in tunnels. Much better when they can't see me coming.'

'That's why I'm down here. See a bit of the world and maybe see if I can get paid for it. What about you, were you born down here?'

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Show

"You sparkle like a diamond in the rough," says Sir Laurens. The party advances to the north. Up the shorter corridor, the party finds several large rooms. One of them was clearly a kitchens, as the large oven dominates the far wall. It seems as if it was stripped bare a long time ago, however. The other rooms were probably pantries and maybe a small dining room. There is one staircase going up and another going down.

Show
    "A mercenary, then?" asks Sir Leclair. "Certainly always need good men. And, uh women, I guess. My old man was a mercenary in Duke Bremcote's service. Got himself killed in battle with the orks when I was just a babe. Laurens and I grew up together. Trained. Took our knightly vows together. When he's ruling his fief, I'm going to be his right-hand man."

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Gabriele had to wonder if there was anyone in charge here before Bremcote. 'Mercenary or scout for those who do the actual fighting. I can live off the land but it's nice to have enough to pay for things sometimes.' After Leclair's comment about his position, 'Son of a mercenary and you can rise to all of that? Maybe it's easier down here, even with all the mutants and orcs.'

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    "Like a woman with a sparkly thing on top," Severin grunts with a sly smile at Alyssa.

"Sir Laurens, perhaps we'd best secure the last hallway on this level before we decide to go up or down?"