The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 176
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Carrion Crown IC

    After several long days of travel, you've arrived in Ravengro. As you walk down the dirt roads, past old, dilapidated farm buildings and over a sagging bridges, an air of melancholy seems to settle around you.

    Arriving at the ancient cemetery, you are greeted by a trim, dark-haired woman in a dark purple dress. Her eyes are red and puffy, as though she's been crying lately. She introduces herself as Kendra, the professor's daughter, to those of you who don't know her. She then goes to greet the other guests at the funeral: An aging, pompous-looking old man, a man who seems the same age, but very active and not nearly as well-dressed, a large man with a magnificent mustache, holding the hand of a thin 12 or 13 year old boy, and a thin, red-haired woman with her hair in a bun.

    Once all the guests have arrived, Kendra returns to you. Thank you so much for coming all this way to hear my father's will. I wish there were more people he met abroad who were willing to come all this way. Would you mind doing the honor of carrying his coffin though the cemetery to his grave?
    Last edited by PhyrexianShovel; 2019-09-28 at 05:02 PM.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

    Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ylvathrall's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    A tall, slender woman with blonde hair, green eyes, and skin that is far too pale hesitates only briefly. "It would be my great honor, but I am not so terribly strong," Kara says, with a wry smile and a mild Kelish accent."Perhaps I can help, but I cannot carry it alone, I fear." She looks to the others gathered in the cemetery with a smile that shows incisors which are too long and far, far too sharp for a human.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

    I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

    I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

    Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Syless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Kuzit had been a bit quiet since entering Ravengro- she didn't have the fondest memories of her visit, with the way she had been treated. She hadn't even carried on a conversation with Aktathk in Draconic, like they normally did- anything to make her stand out as an outsider would be bad. She made it to the cemetery, a bit melancholy. But when Kendra talks to her, she nods enthusiastically. "I would be happy to help! I hope my, uh, stature doesn't cause any problems?" She looks to her drake companion on her shoulder. <Also, since this will be heavy, do you mind walking for now? I'd like to be able to put all my strength into this.>

    <Fiiiiine. Only because the Professor was nice to us. Anyone else and I wouldn't.> Aktathk manages to look petulant as he flutters off Kuzit's shoulder.
    Avatar by SeraphicMayin

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The vegetable hell

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Maronne

    The halfling bows. "I'd be honored to. I was sad to hear the professor had passed away; his extensive knowledge on a variety of ooze habitats really... Wait. Carry?" She looks at the others assembled. The tall folk should probably be able to handle this, but being a halfling she has no business carrying the coffin and remains of someone over twice her size. Best make sure I'm not on the same end as the kobold, she notes to herself.

    She scratches behind her left ear. "I guess I can try. It's the least I can do for the professor. He really helped me by pointing out that... oh. I can see I'm boring you already." Maronne nods, more to herself than to anyone else. "Sorry."

    "Where uh... where do you want me? This end? The middle? I'm afraid I'm not very big or strong."
    Characters in play:

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Augustin Mikhail Luna
    Hit Ponts: 14 of 14 l Conditions: None.


    Luna was a tall, broad man, thick black hair tied back from a thick furrowed brow, keen, piercing eyes stared out from under that brow, constantly moving from face to face. He did not wear finery appropriate to funerary services, thick leather boots, tied above the knee, a woolen undercoat poked out from beneath a coat of worn scale mail, that was belted with a wide leather belt. The antler bone handle of a wide bladed dagger sat across his stomach, secured under the belts clasp, he deposited a bundle of javelins, a large woodsman's axe, a shield, and his pack beside a tree as he walked towards the procession.

    His eyes widened, then softened when he saw Kendra, his thoughts turned to the House of Stars and Doves, a book of fairy tales she had offered him after the death of his own parents, a book still stuck away in his pack, well worn, read innumerable times. Almost nervously, he smoothed his rough, curled hair back from his brow, he tried to smile, but his face was a thing of angles and planes, hard, weathered more accustomed to scowls and curses than civility and culture. "k-," his voice wavered, "Kendra, I -," Pharasma had a thousand sayings for those departed, a thousand condolences for those they left behind, and yet, they all rang hollow as he tried to comfort this woman, "you have my sympathy, for, for your loss." He looked to the odd assortment of travellers now gathered around the Professor's coffin, the scowl easily slipping back in to place. "I should be honored to carry your father the short distance to his final rest."

    As he walked towards the throng, he looked at the folks assembled around the coffin, he spoke softly, so his words would not reach Kendra's ears, "The body of a man, in death is lighter than in life. The true weight lays in the recepticle, lift with your legs, keep your back straight, those of you shorter than the rest, support from beneath with your closer hand, hold the straps with your opposite, because if any of you should dishonor this man, I will ensure you are buried beside him." Not even a grunt of effort escaped the ruged man's lips as he shouldered the head of the casket ensuring he held it low, so as not to upset the balance of those of lesser stature.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-09-28 at 05:35 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Tobias stopped to take a long look at Ravengro before stepping off and crossing the last short distance to the town. The return was bittersweet. Memories of the broken young man who'd arrived to attend the university came flooding back--and of the old professor who'd somehow gotten him to open up, and set him on the path towards actually doing something rather than letting the world roll over him. Tobias had learned a lot about himself from Professor Lorrimor--how far he could push himself, and what one person could accomplish with enough determination. For that, Tobais would be forever in his debt. But now that he was gone, a thread of that old despair crept back in. Tobias had been holding out hope that the professor would run across something in his studies, if not an answer than a clue--something he could use to track down what had happened to Catherine, maybe even get her back. Now that possibility was gone, and the feelings of helplessness edged at his mind once more.

    He pushed those thoughts aside. Today was a day to remember the professor and honor him--his own quest could wait on that.

    Tobias was surprised at the number of people gathered for Professor Lorrimor's funeral, though perhaps he shouldn't have been. He was far from the only student the man had mentored, or honored colleague he'd worked with. He was even more surprised at the offer to carry the coffin. I'd be honored," he told her, nodding respectfully. "And I wouldn't have missed this for anything. The Professor--your father--he made me who I am today. I owe him at least this much."
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    As you carry the coffin into the cemetery, you notice a small wooden signpost denoting the cemetery as The Restlands. You carry the coffin along a long, winding dirt road, surrounded by graves on all sides. As you round a bend, you spot a group of about 13 rough-looking farmers, led by an old man holding a chipped, broken sword. The old man raises his sword at Kendra, who's in the front of the procession, and says:

    Spoiler: READ BEFORE CONTINUING
    Show
    This is a dialogue in which you can interrupt at any point. I put it in spoiler tags for that reason. Do not continue to open the spoilers after you interrupt it. Obviously, the first person to post chooses when the interruption happens. If you make it to the end without interrupting, let me know in the OOC thread so I can continue the adventure (I know that this is convoluted but I couldn't figure out a better way for this event to play out).


    Spoiler: Read only after reading the above
    Show
    That's far enough. We been talking, and we don't want Lorrimor buried in The Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain't goin' in the ground here!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kendra is swift to respond, her sadness quickly turning into anger. What are you talking about? She cries out, I arranged it with Father Grimburrow. He's waiting for us! The graves already been...
    Spoiler
    Show
    You donít get it, woman. We wonít have a necromancer buried in the same place as our kin. I suggest you move out while you still can. Folks are pretty upset about this right now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Necromancy!? Are you really that ignorant?
    The old man seethes in anger for a moment, then moves out of the way as the thugs behind him charge.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

    Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Augustin Mikhail Luna
    Hit Ponts: 14 of 14 l Conditions: None.


    Luna sighed, and slowly lowered the burden of the casket, stepping forward he drew a silvered knife, "We each get to choose the time and place of our dying, a daughter can choose her father's final resting place, and if you keep flapping your jaw, yours will be this road."

    OOC: Maybe the dice gods are with me, so I will roll Intimidation, a whopping -2, (1d20-2)[0]. However, I am advancing to within melee distance of the old man with the sword.
    I opened the second spoiler if it matters, to where Kendra spoke in response.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-09-28 at 11:25 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ylvathrall's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    "Now, I'm sure there's no need for weapons," Kara says, setting the coffin down as well. She smiles at the farmers. It's not a very nice sort of smile. "Surely our friends here are about to say that this is a misunderstanding. They wouldn't be so unwise as to dishonor the dead in such a way, especially one so well liked by so many people of...diverse talents as the honored professor."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Fortunately, Kara's a bit better at intimidation.

    (1d20+9)[16]
    Please don't capitalize my name.

    I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

    I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

    Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    The old man laughs and steps off to the side, between the graves. Was that supposed to be scary? You look like an angry toddler. He then turns to his thugs We tried the peaceful way. Get 'em! Six of the thugs run behind you, and attack the others in the procession. Meanwhile, the other six turn towards you. Edit: oops, didn't see Kara. They seem slightly cowed, and one of them runs away.
    Spoiler: Initiative and Map
    Show

    Thugs: [roll0]
    Kendra: [roll1]
    The old man doesn't seem to be actually participating.
    Please place yourself on the map next to the coffin.
    Last edited by PhyrexianShovel; 2019-09-29 at 12:13 AM.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

    Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Augustin Mikhail Luna
    Hit Ponts: 14 of 14 l Conditions: None.


    Luna's hand shot out to grab the old man by the throat, as he attempted to end the conflict before it started. However, his attempt was foiled by the old man waving the pitted sword towards the larger man, as attempted to ward off the blow.[/quote]

    OOC: As the Old Man's bravado from behind six thugs enrages Luna, he will enter a Grapple with him, giving him an attack of opportunity against AC 16. Grapple Check, +5 vs AC, (1d20+5)[9]. Let's hope this works! And my dice hate me!
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-09-29 at 04:51 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Syless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Kuzit starts to panic when the confrontation escalates- but it seems to have become a solid fight, and the others are fighting. The others do care about the Professor! <Aktathk, stay back!> She takes her free hand and begins to cast a spell, causing the plants in the graveyard to start to overgrow and wrap themselves around the legs of the brutes who attacked them, as well as the old man.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting Entangle, hoping to get all of the thugs and the old man if possible. Reflex DC 14 to avoid being entangled.
    Avatar by SeraphicMayin

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Tobias sets down the coffin, looking askance at the armed men on the path. Necromancy? What was this nonsense? The professor hadn't been involved in anything like that... but it didn't seem like they were in any mood to discuss the matter. When they charge, Tobias steps up and draws his rapier. "This doesn't need to end like this..."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Initiative roll if I need it? (1d20+2)[19]

    Draw rapier as a move action, 5ft step up next to Kendra and ready an attack if they strike first.
    Attack: (1d20+1)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]

    Crossbow would be preferable, but I can't imagine Tobias was walking to a funeral with it loaded.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    The coffin sags as the person holding most of it's weight releases it. As the thugs charge, Kendra's anger changes to determination, and she touches Augustin, giving him a vision of clarity and of the future. Meanwhile, the thugs use their clubs to attack, but quickly are surrounded by brambles, which they all dodge. Tobias stabs into one of them, and he drops to his knees and surrenders. The old man runs away, dodging and ducking between the graves.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Kendra is using Diviner's Fortune, granting +1 to Attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws.
    As for the thug's saving throw: (1d20)[19]
    And the old man: (1d20+2)[20]
    Thugs take a swing at Kendra [roll]1d20-3[/roll] (1), [roll]1d6+1[/roll](3) nonlethal
    and at Augustin [roll]1d20-3[/roll](8) [roll]1d6+1[/roll](6) nonlethal.
    edit: since I apparently can't use the forum roller properly, I'll just roll these IRL for now.
    Last edited by PhyrexianShovel; 2019-09-29 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

    Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ylvathrall's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Kara moves forward, whispering something in Kelish. Her voice is disturbingly eager as she moves onto one of the burial mounds, and then she holds her hands out towards the thugs, murmuring a phrase of arcane power. Flames, tinged golden and green at the edges, wash out over two of the thugs, burning with supernatural intensity.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Burning hands on the thugs in D5 and D6, Reflex DC 16 for half. Damage: (2d4)[5]
    Please don't capitalize my name.

    I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

    I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

    Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Spoiler: Save
    Show
    (1d20)[4]

    The thugs scream as they burn. They're knocked unconscious, their clothes still simmering. Seeing this, the other two thugs run away, screaming of witchcraft.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    we're out of combat now. Tobias and Luna can make attacks of opportunity if they so wish, otherwise we can keep going.
    Last edited by PhyrexianShovel; 2019-09-29 at 11:51 AM.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

    Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Augustin Mikhail Luna
    Hit Ponts: 14 of 14 l Conditions: None.


    OOC: Phone post, will get descriptive in a moment. AoO against the old guy, dagger at +5, (1d20+5)[15], and if that hits, 1d4+3 damage, (1d4+3)[4]. Let's hope I roll higher than the d4 lol!

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Augustin swings with his knife directly at the old man's back as he retreats, but it only scratches his vest as he dodges just out of reach.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I think that's the end of combat, not sure there's anything else
    Last edited by PhyrexianShovel; 2019-09-29 at 12:07 PM.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

    Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ylvathrall's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Kara smiles a little wider, then turns to Kendra and bows. "Would you like to save the ones who are burning?" she asks, her tone formal. "I believe they are still alive, but they require attention to stay that way."
    Please don't capitalize my name.

    I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

    I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

    Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Before Kendra can respond, the rest of the procession catches up to you. It seems they fended off the other six thugs. The oldest man there steps forward. I hope you are all alright. I am glad that we had such capable individuals guarding the coffin, as I fear that we would have lost it to these ruffians. They are townsfolk, but they all have a very low moral character, I can assure you. I hope it does not affect your view of our town very much. Turning to the red-haired woman, he says, Jominda, would you please attend to these gentlemen? There should be no death today, it is sad enough already. Jominda turns to the men and pulls out a few bottles of water from her robe (which seems to have surprisingly deep pockets) and pours it on the fire. She then cuts a few strips off of it using a dagger that one of them had and binds their wounds with it. Meanwhile, you spot a man wearing a black robe and two women with shovels walking up the path. Oh, good, Father Grimburrow, you're here.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

    Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The vegetable hell

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Maronne

    The halfling is completely flabbergasted when the funeral party is suddenly stopped by local ruffians. Who'd have the nerve to do such a thing? Before she has a chance to grab her sword and intervene the others have already dispatched their assailants. "Well... Uh. I didn't expect that to happen." She looks at the two burning thugs, then at Kara. "Uh. Impressive move, that. You people are... very good at this kind of thing."

    When the black-robed man and the shovel-carrying appear, Maronne is the first to take up her place beside the coffin again. (She never even left it, in fact) She's not the first to start lifting again, though. No point in that, really.
    Characters in play:

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ylvathrall's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    "Fire is sort of my specialty," Kara says, with a warmer smile at Maronne as she goes to take her place by the coffin once more. "And that spell in particular...well, I have my correspondence with the late professor to thank for the efficacy you just saw, he was most helpful with the energy flow patterns." Her voice chokes slightly as she says this last, clearly reminded once again of her mentor's death.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

    I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

    I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

    Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The vegetable hell

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Maronne

    "Oh? He was truly a man of many talents, then." She pauses for a moment to think. "I guess it's to be expected he'd know a lot about energy patterns and the like. You don't become an expert in oozes without picking up a thing or two in other fields of study." Another pause. "I'm Maronne. It's good to meet you, miss... ?"
    Characters in play:

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Augustin Mikhail Luna
    Hit Ponts: 14 of 14 l Conditions: None.


    As Kara speaks of the still smoldering ruffians, Luna nods, "I'll get them," he drops his cloak off his broad shoulders, patting out any flames still lingering on the armed men, then as he gets to his feet he drives an armored boot into one's face with a sickening crunch. He spits a glob of phlegm on the ground, "Witches and Necromancers? Fheh! There was no need for this, we came to honor a friend. Thrice cursed fools!"

    As the rear of the procession caught up, he turned to the lead elderman, "Tell me the name of the fat fool?" He pointed to the old man with pitted sword fleeing through the headstones. He then looked from to the burnt, crumpled bodies of the superstitious villagers, "Their misfortune is on THAT man's head, if he had let us pass in peace ...," his words trailed off.

    While he waited for an answer, he moved to his position and lifted the Professor's casket.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Gibs Hephenus. he replies, A retired farmer with too many ideas and enough charisma to convince the more superstitious folk in the town to follow up on them. While that happens, an old man with wrinkles covering his face arrives, his black robes swishing back and forth as he walks. He opens his mouth and speaks in a voice that sounds like the rustling sound that his robe makes on the ground, This... is an affront... to the dignity... of the church. I'm shocked... at the audacity... of these farmers. And yet, it is not their time to die. As he speaks, a golden-gray light shines from his neck, where there's a holy symbol of Pharsma. The bodies lying on the ground seem to heal all their wounds, and they look around themselves, seeing the fire is put out and that they've been abandoned by their fellows. I would like you three to go see the sheriff at once. He'll determine your punishment. The men walk down the road which Father Grimburrow just came from, looking scared. The procession continues on, through the graves until it reaches a large hole. The gravediggers take the coffin from you and place it in the hole, then begin covering it with dirt. As they do that, Father Grimburrow begins performing the rites of Pharsma for the dead. After the professor is buried and his headstone erected, the gravediggers and Father Grimburrow depart, and Kendra stands in front of the gathered mourners. I'll try to keep this short. My father was one of the most brave, selfless men I ever knew, and ever will know. He taught thousands of students in his teaching career, and still found time to explore the world. He discovered countless magical artifacts, but gave them all to the museum in Lepidstadt. He was a great man, and I'm sure that we'll all miss him. She then offers to let any others tell stories about the professor.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

    Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Augustin Mikhail Luna
    Hit Ponts: 14 of 14 l Conditions: None.


    Seeing no one else stand for Lorrimor, the large, broad shouldered man stood up and moved to Kendra's side. The way he walked, he was clearly uncomfortable in front of such a crowd, "Master Lorrimor, as his daughter has said, a great man, who stepped into my life after I had suffered a loss from which I thought I may never recover." He paused, his throat thick, and raw, he'd rather be staring down a pack of half-starved wolves with naught but his bare hands than to continuing speaking to even so meager a crowd as this. However he owed it to the memory of Lorrimor, "He tended to my wounds, both body and soul, and he did so with concern, compassion and respect that grows increasingly uncommon in these times."

    As he remembered those times, his words grew more raw, "His loss cuts deep, however, his soul is with the Lady of Myseries, and I have no doubt that she too weeps for our loss, but accepts him to her breast, and will guide him on his journey to the higher planes." As he finished, he drew his knife, drew it deeply across his palm, and made a fist, mixing his blood with the grave soil before returning to his seat.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ylvathrall's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Kara is the next to stand. "I did not know the professor so well as others gathered here, so I'll keep this brief," she says, expression and tone somber. "I never spoke to him in person, which I regret deeply. But we communicated by correspondence for some time, and he...he made me realize what I am. For that, I owe him a great debt." She bows her head and says a few words in Kelish, a prayer to Shelyn for grace and kindness for the soul of the departed, then returns to her seat.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

    I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

    I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

    Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Syless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Kuzit is the next to stand, though it's barely noticeable. Aktathk is perched on her shoulder as she does. "The professor helped me bond with my truest friend, Aktathk. He even invited me here to his home, once, even if... well, the reception we got today didn't surprise me. But he knew so much, and was so eager to learn and share what he already knew. The world is worse off for losing him, and I know we've all grieved in our own way." That sounded almost... practiced, and once she's done speaking, she lets out a gasp of relief, as if she was pushing herself.

    Aktathk then feels inclined to speak as well. "He always gave me the tastiest snacks."
    Avatar by SeraphicMayin

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The vegetable hell

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Maronne

    Maronne is obviously still shaken from the brazen attack on their party, because otherwise she would've been the first to step forward and speak. Now, she somehow waits until three others have spoken before speaking up herself. "I did not have the pleasure of knowing the professor personally, unfortunately. Not really anyway. Our conversations were always of a more professional nature. He was a great teacher, and he really knew his Ochre from his Whip Jellies if you know what I mean." The halfling pauses a moment to gauge the crowd's reaction.

    She clears her throat. "You obviously have no idea what I'm talking about. Well, you should know that..." Maronne catches herself before spinning off into an ooze-related tangent. "Ahem... But we're here to talk about the professor, not about oozes. Err... Well, the man was a great teacher, and it's through his knowledge and enthusiasm - even if it was only a few short weeks - that I ended up with my nose in ancient text, researching all manners of strange beings. He was an inspiration, and we are all poorer for his passing."
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2019-09-30 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    Characters in play:

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

    Tobias picks up after Maronne. "He was a great teacher--I had the privilege to study with him at Lepidstadt, and he was always open, always willing to lend an ear or a guiding thought. For some reason, he took an interest in me, but I know he mentored many others as well. Professor Lorrimor never hesitated to take time out of his day to help out his students, and his depth of knowledge was incredible. There seemed like nothing he didn't at least have a passing familiarity with, and in the rare case he didn't know much about a subject, he knew who would. His loss is a tragedy to us all."
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •